BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-31 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

Can you recommend some swim drills for improving speed/effeciency? I can now swim around 400 yards consistently without stopping but I'd like to get a bit faster and I'm not really sure how to go about that...????

TIA!

2012-01-31 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4021741

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
Ybeal - 2012-01-31 6:43 PM

Can you recommend some swim drills for improving speed/effeciency? I can now swim around 400 yards consistently without stopping but I'd like to get a bit faster and I'm not really sure how to go about that...????

TIA!

Very interested in the answer to that too!

Jacki

2012-01-31 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4020505

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-01-31 10:58 AM
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-31 8:05 AM

Hi everyone.  Been off the grid these last days b/c the Super Bowl madness in my town and with work.  It's crazy fun...but busy!  I've also been dealing with some low back issues.  About every 9-10 months I have this issue.  I'll get super tight and lots of pain in my low, low back.  Usually keeps me from training at all for a good week and then have to ever-so-slowly ramp back up.  Lots of icing, stretching and a few visits to the chiropractor.  Well, this time, I felt it coming on late last week and started in with icing and stretching right away.  Took 3 days off running, which is a lot for me.  Knock wood...I think I nipped it in the bud...before it got bad.  Fingers crossed.  Ran this morning and felt good.  No pain...just a little tightness.

Anyhoo...hope you're all doing well and will try to jump back on this week in the midst of the hoopla surrounding me in Indy!  Going to try to attach a photo...this is right outside my office downtown.  So cool! 

Glad you "listened to your body" and knew what do to.     That is a really good picture!  looks professional to me. 

Can you imagine what the city would have been like had the Colts made it to this years Super bowl?   wow.   

I think it is a professional pic...I grabbed it off Facebook.  So cool!  As much as I love my Colts, it's better for my city to have teams from 2 east coast, high income cities!  Our town is happy to be in the spotlight this week, and if I may say, I think we're knocking it out of the park!

Yes...totally listened to my body...it's taken me about 5 cycles of that back injury to recongize it early and stop it before it got bad.  I feel good about that!  Actually, I'm pretty sure it's triggered by getting lazy with my stretching.  Probably for the last 4-6 weeks, I've just let things get in the way and have not been stretching appropriately after my runs or spins.  There's a lesson in that, gang!  I hope some of you can benefit from my pain.

2012-01-31 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4017794

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
oriolepwr - 2012-01-29 10:23 PM
Sammeg - 2012-01-28 2:25 PM

Woke up a little bummed this morning that I wasn't racing the brewery run 10 miler. I was really looking forward to this race as it went through my hometown and cause I really like beer, particularly the free variety Cool. It was the right thing to do though, had a great morning with the kids and threw down a 10 bagger in my neighborhood so win/win! I'll down a coupla Bluepoint Ales tonight w/dinner and all will be right with the world! My buddy Bobby(Dream Chaser) smoked the course w/a 1:08 despite fighting a groin injury since the fall. Fast dude.

Whats everybody else got going on this weekend?

Glad you got that run in!  I'm with you.  Those old hometown races are special.    Sorry about the ski trip.      now for the important question.    Did you find the opportunity to have the Bluepoint Ales?

Oh yes, there was Bluepoint IPA and pizza in abundance

Edited by Sammeg 2012-01-31 8:47 PM
2012-01-31 10:48 PM

User image

New user

Sacramento area

Hey all!

Quick quotes that I'm guilty of busting out:

"Nobody puts Baby in a corner!"  I pretty much do this every time I see a corner and anyone near it.  Probably gets old, but I can't help myself.

"What's wrong with being sexy?"  Probably my go-to Tap quote, but I've seen this so many times I think I could recite it end to end.  Never gets old. 

"How would you like a mouth full of teeth?"  Plains, Trains and Automobiles is a goldmine.

Proud to say I got in the pool the other day.  Felt feeble, conspicuous, ridiculous, but I made myself spend a half-hour trying to figure stuff out and I tried to keep moving even though there was lots of frustrated stopping and splurting and gasping.  I can't think about everything at once, so I'm starting by just trying to breathe.  And that's enough.  Folks, I did one length of the pool maybe three times, breathing every EACH TIME I reached with my right arm.  Couldn't do the return trip without choking, so I guess one length is my personal best.  Humbling.  I watched a couple other folks who knew what they were doing and one swimmer was breathing just like I was.  The other guy was breathing every four strokes or so.  My goal for now is to use what resources I can short of a personal coach (videos, links here, etc.) and keep getting in the pool (twice a week currently) - insisting on a set amount of time on task and trying to get, for now, a length and back with controlled breathing. 

Running's going good, but I've got some doubts about the accuracy of my Garmin with regard to heart zones.  It's currently based on my resting heart rate, but it's been near impossible for me to run in zone 2.  So I think I'm going to pay $150 to get tested to see where my aerobic threshold and all that good stuff is.  I'm starting the training, but with doubts about where I'm supposed to be "living" on my runs and rides, I'm doing some guesswork so far.  However, today I did 7 miles (which is a big run for me - woot!) and was determined to stay between 2.5-3.2 for the majority of the run regardless of the pace.  It felt really slow at first (it was!  over 13 minute miles!) but what a great "run."  Didn't feel like I was killing myself, got into a good groove, felt like I could have gone further, and got home without being completely wasted.  So maybe the watch is accurate and I've just been running at a higher heart rate than I should be. 

That's it for me.  So much cool stuff in the last few pages of posts I don't know where to begin.  Your life stories and all the encouragement make me proud to be among you.  I'm off to scout some of the swim links - please keep those coming if you find more!

-Kent

2012-02-01 1:18 AM
in reply to: #4017630

New user

oriolepwr - 2012-01-29 7:57 PM

Yeaow!!!!   been celebrating my birthday (shameless plug there)  this weekend!      Oh my girls and DW have been spoiling me!    I did manage to get my 1st annual birthday half mary  in earlier today before hitting Fatman's for din din tonight!       Last night Eileen and I had a wonderful dinner/drinks just the two of us.   Had a great time.          Oh if you are wondering  I think I'm 28 now.     Ok not really  but I do feel like I'm 28!!    ok 32 

I celebrated mine, too! Happy b-day, fellow Aquarian!  I, however, am much older than you.  47, to be exact.

2012-02-01 1:25 AM
in reply to: #4017736

New user

Sammeg - 2012-01-29 8:47 PM
quincyf - 2012-01-29 7:31 PM
lmo123 - 2012-01-29 4:06 PM
trei - 2012-01-29 10:17 AM

Good Morning folks!  I know Dave put some info on posting pictures somewhere, but for the life of me I can't seem to find the page.  I did upload a photo I was going to use for my profile to an album, but can't find how to post it as my profile.  What am I missing?  I am looking at doing 2 triathlons prior to the "biggie" Racine 70.3,  Would the recommendation for my first triathlon ever be for a sprint or olympic length?  My first one will be in West Salem (both lengths available) about 5 wks prior to Racine and then I was thinking of doing the one in Pleasant Prairie June 24th (3 wks prior to Racine).  Does this seem to be good spacing? 

Also, I'd just like to say I think Quincy and Dave are doing an awesome job mentoring.  I feel like I'm in good hands.  Thanks everyone for your music suggestions.  I spent sometime this weekend loading a tune from everyone on my MP3 for the inspiration!

Q and Dave have been amazing as has everyone else.  I have been trying to keep up with all the posts but it's been hard.  The competitive speech season ramps up beginning in January, so scheduling has been super hard as I have to schedule student coaching, grading, online materials updates, program review, etc., etc., etc.,  and my own training!  It all makes me think of the movie Airplane where one character keeps repeating, "I picked the wrong week to quit . . . " (drinking/smoking/sniffing glue/amphetamines).  However, I'm saying, "Looks like I picked the wrong week to start training!"  The saving grace is ALL of you and your inspiring stories, comments, music lists, EVERYTHING!!  So, I'm plugging along.

Dave - I think you posted about not trying to keep up with everything.  I'll try to keep that in mind. 

Q - the photos of your calendar system were amazing!!  Clearly, I need that in my life.  While it's only the DH and me (we don't have kids), it's still pretty hectic when we're both coaching and traveling. This weekend he's in St. Louis while I'm home

Now, I'm off to swim!!

+5 points for Movie Quoting!!!!! Airplane is one of my favorites (possibly because I am a pilot and can I tell you some of the aviation jokes are a little close for comfort) Roger roger, over under, get me a clearance clarence, what's your vector victor...kills me every time.

Other awesome movies for quotes:

Sixteen Candles, "yes, he's wearing red sweater, tan pants, and argyle socks. NO, he's not retarded!" "No more yankie my wankie, Donger need food."

Blues Brothers, "Gotta go see the Penguin!" "we're on a mission from God."  "It saddens and hurts me to think that the two boys I raised to believe in The Ten Commandments have returned to me as thieves, with filthy mouths and bad attitudes!" Basically the whole movie is quotable.

Same with Monty Python's "Holy Grail" "How do you know he's the king? He hasn't got sh** all over him." What's the airspeed of an unladen swallow? African or European? (about Camelot) "On second thought, let's not go there, it's a silly place." Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

Top Gun (your ego's writing checks your body can't cash), Goodfellas (funny, how? funny like a clown), Caddyshack (be the ball Danny!), Office Space (I was told I could play my radio at a reasonable level, someone's got a case of the mondays), Anchorman, Happy Gilmore, Blazing Saddles, The Big Lebowski, Animal House, Dumb and Dumber, The Jerk, Old School, Pulp Fiction, Fletch, Casablanca...heck I even have one from the Amazon Queen I love (I now pronounce you man and wife, now proceed with the execution!"

What are your favorite movies? Favorite Quotes?

Sorry I went a little overboard here...apparently I DID pick the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!

Oh man, you hit the sweet spot w/movie quotes right there. As I'm in a skiing frame of mind I have a couple going through my head, "that John Denver's full of sh!!t, man!",  "Uh....Shaving", "He's skiing on one ski!".

Pretty much anything Tarantino, especially quasi Quentin's True Romance. Old Sandler, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Spinal Tap, Some fistaphobia from Midnight Run. My kids get a healthy dose of "I'm just saying, if I were your accountant" whenever they disagree with me. Oh, and of course, History of the World: part 1.

"Count de Monay!! Count da Monay"

"It's good to be the king!"

"The Inquisition, what a show!"

LOVE History of the World: Part I!!!

2012-02-01 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4021741

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ybeal - 2012-01-31 5:43 PM

TIA!

Google fingertip drag drill, catch up dril, and side arm balance drill. You should be able to find videos on all of them...you could spend an entire season working on those three drills. I'll see if I can find some video I like...

I like to do drills with small zoomer type fins on so I am going roughly the same speed as when I am swimming normally.  Last year I did them after my warm up and again after my cool down...but once in a set is probably enough.

2012-02-01 10:20 AM

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
Morning everyone.  I hope that everyone is doing well and sorry I have been MIA for a while, but this work stuff is getting in the wayWink.  Im back on the training after a battle with the an ear infection and chest cold (cough really).  LAst night was awesome.  Did a quick 1 mile run, Spin class for 1 hr and then back to the treadmill for another 1 mile run. 
2012-02-01 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4022900

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
quincyf - 2012-02-01 9:18 AM

TIA!

Google fingertip drag drill, catch up dril, and side arm balance drill. You should be able to find videos on all of them...you could spend an entire season working on those three drills. I'll see if I can find some video I like...

I like to do drills with small zoomer type fins on so I am going roughly the same speed as when I am swimming normally.  Last year I did them after my warm up and again after my cool down...but once in a set is probably enough.

This video covers pretty much the major drills I use! Pay no attention to the bombed out pool he's swimming in...

2012-02-01 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4023078

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

mjh1975 - 2012-02-01 10:20 AM Morning everyone.  I hope that everyone is doing well and sorry I have been MIA for a while, but this work stuff is getting in the wayWink.  Im back on the training after a battle with the an ear infection and chest cold (cough really).  LAst night was awesome.  Did a quick 1 mile run, Spin class for 1 hr and then back to the treadmill for another 1 mile run. 

Welome back, nice duathlon! I was out for a family cold for a couple of days too...that thing was SAPPING! 

I am actually thrilled at how many of you have stuck around and are posting regularly! A lot of mentor groups have several people who join and then never come back...you guys are the real deal and it makes it so much more fun for Dave and I! Not that it's your job to entertain us, but it is an excellent perk to the position!

Now I just gotta figure out what rock Mark crawled under...I thought the movie quotes might flush him out...

2012-02-01 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4023096

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
quincyf - 2012-02-01 10:23 AM

TIA!

This video covers pretty much the major drills I use! Pay no attention to the bombed out pool he's swimming in...

Bumping this so it doesn't get lost on the old page...want you all to see this...

For those of you training without a plan, how are the swim workouts coming? Are you doing straight distances or breaking it up (this is what you should be doing). Do you need help with your swim workouts?

2012-02-01 10:52 AM

New user

Question about running: Should I be trying to breathe diaphragmatically?

I'm a mouth breather/chest breather.  Thus, I can get winded pretty easily.  I'm also built more for sprinting - 5'4" with BIG muscles.  Endurance is hard form me.  While I was running today, I tried to concentrate on breathing more from the belly than the chest.  It seemed to work (until my hip started cramping up).  I'm trying to run 5 minutes, walk 1, but I couldn't get in a rhythm today.  Am I headed in the right direction?

I also have a Sunnto watch that I've had for several years that took to a jeweler for a battery change.  That caused the watch to malfunction and now I have to send it in to be repaired, so I"m not without a HR monitor/training watch.  Any suggestions on what to do until the watch comes back?

2012-02-01 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4023173

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
lmo123 - 2012-02-01 10:52 AM

I'm a mouth breather/chest breather.  Thus, I can get winded pretty easily.  I'm also built more for sprinting - 5'4" with BIG muscles.  Endurance is hard form me.  While I was running today, I tried to concentrate on breathing more from the belly than the chest.  It seemed to work (until my hip started cramping up).  I'm trying to run 5 minutes, walk 1, but I couldn't get in a rhythm today.  Am I headed in the right direction?

I also have a Sunnto watch that I've had for several years that took to a jeweler for a battery change.  That caused the watch to malfunction and now I have to send it in to be repaired, so I"m not without a HR monitor/training watch.  Any suggestions on what to do until the watch comes back?

HI Lauren,

For what it is worth I am a chest breather unless I am trying to bring my hear rate down then I do breath from my stomach.  One of the best pieces of advice I got about HR was the bigger idea is how quickly you can slow your heart rate during recovery.  I am/was excited that yesterday my HR peaked at 182 (i know its really, really high) during spin class and I was able to get it down 40 pts during my 3 minute cool down. The other good piece of info I got was to do what feels right.   IMO, breath however you want as long as it feels good and is comfortable.

Edited by mjh1975 2012-02-01 11:56 AM
2012-02-01 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4023173

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Sorry about your watch! Boo! Do you run with music? You could run for a song...they are usually about 3-6 minutes, then count to 60...

Or if you run in a familiar route, run for about 1/2 mile (guessing is fine), then walk a block...

Breathing...I think it will come as you run more and build your machine from a sprinter to a goforeverer...nothing wrong with practicing a little breath control while you are running, I do it all the time...a conscious slow deep inhale and exhale and then back to breathing on pattern with my footstrikes (don't try to do this, it just happens naturally)...

Anyone else on breathing? You all definitely need to be breathing at all times, don't forget to do it...

Q

2012-02-01 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4023110

User image

Veteran
quincyf - 2012-02-01 11:28 AM

TIA!

Bumping this so it doesn't get lost on the old page...want you all to see this...

For those of you training without a plan, how are the swim workouts coming? Are you doing straight distances or breaking it up (this is what you should be doing). Do you need help with your swim workouts?

Thanks, I've been doing the fingertip drag one and the one with the pull buoy to practice arms, I'll add the others in as well.  How often do you do these drills? Every time? Is it in addition to your regular distance, or in place of?

Edited by Ybeal 2012-02-01 12:13 PM

2012-02-01 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4017746

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
quincyf - 2012-01-29 9:53 PM

Aspen, where the beer flows like wine!!! (and John Denver is full of ), hahahaha

Planes, trains, and automobiles: "Those aren't pillows!............How 'bout those Bears." Hahahaha.

Spinal Tap:  "Hello Cleveland (the only way any pilot worth their salt will greet Cleveland Center upon handoff from Chicago, or New York Center). This one goes to 11.

I know I have some midnight run in me, just can't access it...

Hey, I didn't realize Bobby and I are Fred D alums...I knew I knew DreamChaser from somewhere...is he mentoring this time around??? Fun to know someone IRL, isn't it???

He mentored last year, in fact the group is still sorta active. No new group this time around though. Funny, when I entered his group last January I didn't realize we were basically neighbors. Now he's a good friend, small world.

Just got back from a few days away with the family. No training since Saturday but I'm off til Monday so back at it tomorrow. Man is there alot of activity in this group! Feel lost after 4 days

2012-02-01 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran

OK, brother Dave, took your advice again and skipped yesterday.  Today I reached a milestone in my run training plan C to 5K.  I'm upto 9 minutes of running, call it WALK'UN, and I did 2.10 miles in less than 30 minutes for the first time.

BTW Q, breathing SUCKS! LOL

Thanks for all the comments.

ROCK ON!

Tom

2012-02-01 5:31 PM
in reply to: #4023357

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-02-01 11:57 AM

Sorry about your watch! Boo! Do you run with music? You could run for a song...they are usually about 3-6 minutes, then count to 60...

Or if you run in a familiar route, run for about 1/2 mile (guessing is fine), then walk a block...

Breathing...I think it will come as you run more and build your machine from a sprinter to a goforeverer...nothing wrong with practicing a little breath control while you are running, I do it all the time...a conscious slow deep inhale and exhale and then back to breathing on pattern with my footstrikes (don't try to do this, it just happens naturally)...

Anyone else on breathing? You all definitely need to be breathing at all times, don't forget to do it...

Q

YES!!  I think you are headed in the right direction! 

"goforeverer"  I like that.   Ya breathing.  hmmm   goforevering does require you to breathe as relaxed as possible.   Belly breathing would be fine if you can do that.   I'm not all that conscience about how I'm exactly breathing when I am relaxed.       So whatever method of breathing helps you to achieve a relaxed state, that should be fine.     I am very much aware of breathing when I'm going at a faster than "easy" pace.    Then I'm monitoring it closely.       Running at a good clip, I will breath in using two stages, so  two in.  then one longer exhale.

When I notice I'm at that stage I know, I'm working,  then it advances to a much quicker pattern.      

Like Q mentioned.   I believe this will come as you build your engine.   In the mean time whatever you think helps you to relax more and still be running, must be a good thing.

what to do without your watch?     enjoy the run!   forget the time.   Just look around and be happy you are out there.   As simple as that sounds,  it is not always easy to just go out there and forget the details.  

2012-02-01 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4024082

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-02-01 4:56 PM

OK, brother Dave, took your advice again and skipped yesterday.  Today I reached a milestone in my run training plan C to 5K.  I'm upto 9 minutes of running, call it WALK'UN, and I did 2.10 miles in less than 30 minutes for the first time.

BTW Q, breathing SUCKS! LOL

Thanks for all the comments.

ROCK ON!

Tom

Awesome my brotha!    you are getting there!   I'm going to go out on a limb, and  bet you beat that time the next two times you try.   Just a hunch.

2012-02-01 5:45 PM
in reply to: #4023110

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-02-01 10:28 AM

TIA!

The "fist" drill in that video is one that I use, and feel it helps me quite a bit.     Besides technique which as you know is almost everything in swimming, you are still working on your engine.   So speed intervals are going to help do that.    Similar to run/walk run/walk   you just have to work as hard as you can for a length or a lap, then recover, work as hard as you can, then recover.    

2012-02-01 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Today I registered for my 70.3 for this year, as well as the Chicago Marathon!    ouch! 

The race director has spoken (DW)   My 70.3 is Door County on July 22.  

Door County Video!

So with the Illinois marathon in late April,  Door county in July, Chicago Mary in October and  the JFK ultra in November,  I now have my "A" races set in stone.    can't register for JFK until May.  By then hopefully I will have a better idea on if I can handle it or not.  I'm thinking I  CAN!  hee hee.   

Lots of events in between these.   Can't wait for race season which will kick off for me with the 8K Shamrock Shuffle in March!  My DW Eileen is also running it.   We will have a blast hanging with Q and her family!       Getting psyched up for the season as you can tell.   It seems so long ago that I was in race mode. 

2012-02-01 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4024363

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
oriolepwr - 2012-02-01 8:03 PM

Today I registered for my 70.3 for this year, as well as the Chicago Marathon!    ouch! 

Door County Video!

So with the Illinois marathon in late April,  Door county in July, Chicago Mary in October and  the JFK ultra in November,  I now have my "A" races set in stone.    can't register for JFK until May.  By then hopefully I will have a better idea on if I can handle it or not.  I'm thinking I  CAN!  hee hee.   

Lots of events in between these.   Can't wait for race season which will kick off for me with the 8K Shamrock Shuffle in March!  My DW Eileen is also running it.   We will have a blast hanging with Q and her family!       Getting psyched up for the season as you can tell.   It seems so long ago that I was in race mode. 

Door County looks awsome!  HAve you done it before; I am still looking for a July Race.

Edited by mjh1975 2012-02-01 9:04 PM
2012-02-01 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4024473

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mjh1975 - 2012-02-01 9:04 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-01 8:03 PM

Door County Video!

Door County looks awsome!  HAve you done it before; I am still looking for a July Race.

Nope have not even been to Door County before ha!   Do triathlon and see the world!  hee hee     I think its a tough course.  Many people think its a top notch event.  I do think it will be a beautiful course.   But painful.      Come join us! 

2012-02-02 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4023382

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ybeal - 2012-02-01 12:11 PM
quincyf - 2012-02-01 11:28 AM

TIA!

Thanks, I've been doing the fingertip drag one and the one with the pull buoy to practice arms, I'll add the others in as well.  How often do you do these drills? Every time? Is it in addition to your regular distance, or in place of?

Yvonne,

Last year I did them every swim session, before and after my main set. But I am not sure it helped me as my swims slowed down a bit (but I got much more efficient). Ideally at some point you and I will both have a session with a coach and they will tell us which drills to do to help us work on OUR OWN particular deficiencies. Until then, these drills are universal for improving stroke. I would say do them at least once during your swim sets...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44