BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-04-15 2:28 AM
in reply to: #4150436

User image

England
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
TriAya - 2012-04-14 5:28 PM
amd723 - 2012-04-15 12:20 AM

Did a test run this morning to see how my hurting hamstring is coming along; it's better, but I still had to stop after 1 mile.  When it is finally healed enough to run, it will probably take me forever to get back to long mileage.  Very frustrating.

On a more positive note, swam 3500 yds with my masters swim group this morning.  The workout called for some IM swimming to include fly!  Usually, we can opt to switch the fly to free, but not this time.  OMG, keeping myself from drowning turned out to be a really good workout I was told my stroke looked pretty good, but I was not getting the 2d kick done properly (or at all).  When we were told we could not switch out the fly, I made the mistake of telling the coach he better not be thinking of filming me.  Of course, he hadn't considered that until I mentioned it and of course he then proceeded to do just that with the threat of posting it on his facebook page. I think it will be posted as a cautionary tale.

Hahahaha ... the nice thing about fly is that it makes free feel SO MUCH BETTER I think you are a super sport for trying!

I did a test outing today to see if my new-felt health would hold up ... FAIL. I was halfway through my list at the grocery store when I realized I needed to head home, ASAP. That was my big outing of the day.

I seem to be out of toilet paper and ice cream ... drat.

Keep being kind to your hammy. Soon, soon.

Surely they should be at the top of your list, not below halfway, especially the ice cream.

Get well soon chuck.

2012-04-15 2:43 AM
in reply to: #4151241

User image

England
jogo - 2012-04-15 5:29 AM

Successful 20 mile run in the cold pouring rain = one bad a$$ runner who is now excited about Big Sur!!

Good Luck to everyone racing in the morning!!  Can't wait to hear all your stories!

WOW. proper WOW.

2012-04-15 3:14 AM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

England

Kansas Mum, love the new avatarSmile.

Coaching yesterday was cool. Learned some useful new stuff. Started a little chaotically as they only had 3 coaches but 4 planned groups, but things settled down.

Ran through a bit of history, then out for drills followed by interval run training, uphill! Nice to run with a group for the first time. Not as nice to realise that i was always at the back.

Lunch then information and transition training practice. How to run with the bike, scoot mount, dismount to run. Some lovely bikes around.

1 hour (phew) swim doing lots of different drills for the first time ever. fun but hard work. Not the slowest!!! maybe my stroke will be a little better. Won't know until i hit the pool again and try to put it into practice.

All in all, a good day. Met some nice people, including one from my local Tri club so i will  be going along soon as i now think i am quick enough for their slow groupSmile.

2012-04-15 3:59 AM
in reply to: #4151312

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2012-04-15 3:28 PM

Did a test run this morning to see how my hurting hamstring is coming along; it's better, but I still had to stop after 1 mile.  When it is finally healed enough to run, it will probably take me forever to get back to long mileage.  Very frustrating.

On a more positive note, swam 3500 yds with my masters swim group this morning.  The workout called for some IM swimming to include fly!  Usually, we can opt to switch the fly to free, but not this time.  OMG, keeping myself from drowning turned out to be a really good workout I was told my stroke looked pretty good, but I was not getting the 2d kick done properly (or at all).  When we were told we could not switch out the fly, I made the mistake of telling the coach he better not be thinking of filming me.  Of course, he hadn't considered that until I mentioned it and of course he then proceeded to do just that with the threat of posting it on his facebook page. I think it will be posted as a cautionary tale.

Hahahaha ... the nice thing about fly is that it makes free feel SO MUCH BETTER I think you are a super sport for trying!

I did a test outing today to see if my new-felt health would hold up ... FAIL. I was halfway through my list at the grocery store when I realized I needed to head home, ASAP. That was my big outing of the day.

Surely they should be at the top of your list, not below halfway, especially the ice cream.

Get well soon chuck.

Chuck! Is that a pet name, like kitten?

See, toilet paper and ice cream go together on the list, because the toilet paper gets kept on top of the freezer, or else the cats turn it into snow. And ice cream has to be last on the list, because it's at the front of the store and it'll melt by the time I get to the checkout, never mind home, if I don't get it very last.

However, when one is miserable in the ways that I am miserable, it is a very sad thing indeed to be sans TP and IC! I have baby wipes, so those will do. But they sure taste terrible frozen.

2012-04-15 4:03 AM
in reply to: #4151325

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2012-04-15 4:14 PM

Coaching yesterday was cool. Learned some useful new stuff. Started a little chaotically as they only had 3 coaches but 4 planned groups, but things settled down.

Ran through a bit of history, then out for drills followed by interval run training, uphill! Nice to run with a group for the first time. Not as nice to realise that i was always at the back.

Lunch then information and transition training practice. How to run with the bike, scoot mount, dismount to run. Some lovely bikes around.

1 hour (phew) swim doing lots of different drills for the first time ever. fun but hard work. Not the slowest!!! maybe my stroke will be a little better. Won't know until i hit the pool again and try to put it into practice.

All in all, a good day. Met some nice people, including one from my local Tri club so i will  be going along soon as i now think i am quick enough for their slow groupSmile.

That sounds great! Well done! Did you get some handouts or sheets? Make sure you refer back to them before swimming again, or if not, jot down some of the more important/useful drills or things you remember.

Britain *really* supports its fledgling triathletes ... USAT could take note.

2012-04-15 6:21 AM
in reply to: #4151331

User image

Master
Orlando
TriAya - 2012-04-15 4:03 AM

That sounds great! Well done! Did you get some handouts or sheets? Make sure you refer back to them before swimming again, or if not, jot down some of the more important/useful drills or things you remember.

No kidding, I would have loved something like that when I was first starting out.  Heck, I'd love it now.

2012-04-15 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4151249

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
TriAya - 2012-04-15 12:33 AM
jogo - 2012-04-15 12:29 PM

Successful 20 mile run in the cold pouring rain = one bad a$$ runner who is now excited about Big Sur!!

Good Luck to everyone racing in the morning!!  Can't wait to hear all your stories!

That IS badazz!

HOW'D THE NUTRITION GO????

Nutrition went perfect, almost. 

Had oatmeal and banana and coffee about 2 hours before (I was lazy and got up at 6am) instead of 3 hours like I was shooting for.  At Big Sur, the bus leaves at 4am so I will be eating at 3:30am and the race doesn't start till 6:45am.   Ate 1/2 clif bar about an hour before.

On the run: gu/water every 4 miles was perfect and then gatorade 4 oz on the even miles in between.  They will have gu and gatorade and water on the course.  I carried in a 4 bottle fuel belt and went back to the car once to refill.  water, I sipped on the odd miles and with the gu. 

TMI:  I had to make 2 pee breaks, once when I refilled everything at mile 7.5 and then at mile 12.5 (but that was only because it was pouring and we ducked into a shelter to refill water and rearrange some stuff so it didn't cause chafing)  so I probably was drinking a little too much.  The second pee break I didn't really have to go but the 1st one I definitely needed.  I got crampy around mile 18 but made it to the bathroom after the 20 miles without embarrassing myself.  I would've had to stop if I was on the course. 

We did run 1 mile: walk 1 minute.  It was perfect because it reminded me to take something before it was 2 late.  Our average pace was about 12-12:15.  My pace on my log is little off because we did stop to chat for 2+ minutes at mile 8 with the TRY chips guys who are in town from PA.  

This was the hilliest course I could find in Michigan so that helped too.  I got 20 and hill work.  HAPPY!!!!  

2012-04-15 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4151487

User image

Melon Presser
jogo - 2012-04-15 9:23 PM

That IS badazz!

Had oatmeal and banana and coffee about 2 hours before (I was lazy and got up at 6am) instead of 3 hours like I was shooting for.  At Big Sur, the bus leaves at 4am so I will be eating at 3:30am and the race doesn't start till 6:45am.   Ate 1/2 clif bar about an hour before.

On the run: gu/water every 4 miles was perfect and then gatorade 4 oz on the even miles in between.  They will have gu and gatorade and water on the course.  I carried in a 4 bottle fuel belt and went back to the car once to refill.  water, I sipped on the odd miles and with the gu. 

TMI:  I had to make 2 pee breaks, once when I refilled everything at mile 7.5 and then at mile 12.5 (but that was only because it was pouring and we ducked into a shelter to refill water and rearrange some stuff so it didn't cause chafing)  so I probably was drinking a little too much.  The second pee break I didn't really have to go but the 1st one I definitely needed.  I got crampy around mile 18 but made it to the bathroom after the 20 miles without embarrassing myself.  I would've had to stop if I was on the course. 

We did run 1 mile: walk 1 minute.  It was perfect because it reminded me to take something before it was 2 late.  Our average pace was about 12-12:15.  My pace on my log is little off because we did stop to chat for 2+ minutes at mile 8 with the TRY chips guys who are in town from PA.  

This was the hilliest course I could find in Michigan so that helped too.  I got 20 and hill work.  HAPPY!!!!  

FANTASMA-SMACKTIC! Well done, Jo! Really glad the eats worked out, too.

Ah, you can (almost) never get TMI, sports-related ... I mean ... once you've discussed the exact etiology, location and current appearance (down to consistency and filling) of a saddle sore publicly here ... well ... yeah.

2012-04-15 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4151487

User image

Master
Orlando
jogo - 2012-04-15 8:23 AM

That IS badazz!

Congrats on the great training run - it should make you feel really confident for Big Sur.  Well done.

I went out for my 2 hour bike ride today and once again found myself in the middle of a triathlon!  Shortly after I started my ride I ended up on the course with the athletes doing a half iron (there was also an oly going on).  Rode with them for a while before making the turn back to the car.  These races are small races with such great volunteers.  People kept telling me I was doing "great" and "way to go".  I just kept saying "thanks".  My picture also got taken a lot and I imagine that after the race 3 weeks ago that I also ended up in and this one, the photographer is probably cursing me   I did not take any of the water or gatorade they offered, but I did take advantage of the cops manning the intersections.  It was really nice not to have to wait my turn at stop signs   This is a very hilly course (yes, parts of Florida do have hills) and it was so windy that I was blown all over the road in some areas, so I was very happy that i was not actually part of the race.  I also kept thinking about the miserable conditions that Kansasmom probably faced in her race today and while I wished her luck, I selfishly thought "thank god I have blue skies and otherwise beautiful weather for my little ride".

Can't wait to hear about everyone's races!

2012-04-15 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4151686

User image

Melon Presser
amd723 - 2012-04-16 12:53 AM

Congrats on the great training run - it should make you feel really confident for Big Sur.  Well done.

I went out for my 2 hour bike ride today and once again found myself in the middle of a triathlon!  Shortly after I started my ride I ended up on the course with the athletes doing a half iron (there was also an oly going on).  Rode with them for a while before making the turn back to the car.  These races are small races with such great volunteers.  People kept telling me I was doing "great" and "way to go".  I just kept saying "thanks".  My picture also got taken a lot and I imagine that after the race 3 weeks ago that I also ended up in and this one, the photographer is probably cursing me   I did not take any of the water or gatorade they offered, but I did take advantage of the cops manning the intersections.  It was really nice not to have to wait my turn at stop signs   This is a very hilly course (yes, parts of Florida do have hills) and it was so windy that I was blown all over the road in some areas, so I was very happy that i was not actually part of the race.  I also kept thinking about the miserable conditions that Kansasmom probably faced in her race today and while I wished her luck, I selfishly thought "thank god I have blue skies and otherwise beautiful weather for my little ride".

Ha, sweet! Should I say congratulations? You should definitely look at the candids/unmatched photos and buy any that are good Great ride, anyway!

2012-04-15 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Good afternoon fellow Manatees!

Was supposed to ride some 50 ish miles this morning, then run 6-7 but the weather looked questionable and the fellers I was going to ride with bailed.  I could have driven myself, 40 ish miles each way but all that gas just to get a ride in, on a course I already know, sort of (IMKS 70.3 course).  Nah, then I stayed up late last night, got up at 'er 10:30.  Made coffee, put clothes in washer, looked at weather, 30 mph winds now.

Beerfest or Sufferfest?

2012-04-15 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4151695

User image

Master
Orlando
TriAya - 2012-04-15 12:00 PM

Ha, sweet! Should I say congratulations? You should definitely look at the candids/unmatched photos and buy any that are good Great ride, anyway!

That's a good idea - next time I crash a race out there I will make sure to smile for the pictures!

2012-04-15 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4151705

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
amd723 - 2012-04-15 12:17 PM

That's a good idea - next time I crash a race out there I will make sure to smile for the pictures!

Hah, that's so cool!  My friend is thinking of "crashing" a local Marathon here in a week or so, probably the half portion because he lives 2 miles from the start.  It's a pretty small race I think I might join him, would be a good training run.

Hey, did you draft?  How cool would that be!  You could have drafted off somebody and be DQ'd, oh wait!  They can't DQ you if you're not registered can they, LOL

2012-04-15 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4151714

User image

Melon Presser
reecealan - 2012-04-16 1:23 AM

Hah, that's so cool!  My friend is thinking of "crashing" a local Marathon here in a week or so, probably the half portion because he lives 2 miles from the start.  It's a pretty small race I think I might join him, would be a good training run.

Hey, did you draft?  How cool would that be!  You could have drafted off somebody and be DQ'd, oh wait!  They can't DQ you if you're not registered can they, LOL

I got two words for drafters.

Peeing on the bike, and snot rockets.

Okay, six, but whatever.

2012-04-15 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4151714

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
reecealan - 2012-04-15 1:23 PM

Bandit-ing a race, NOT COOL!   Either pay and do it as a training run or run a different course.  Yell

Sorry I have strong feelings about this.  Its one thing to end up on a course accidently in the middle of a tri (obviously did not bandit the swim and the run) but it is another thing to intentionally plan to "crash" a race.  

2012-04-15 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4151753

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
jogo - 2012-04-15 1:02 PM

Bandit-ing a race, NOT COOL!   Either pay and do it as a training run or run a different course.  Yell

Sorry I have strong feelings about this.  Its one thing to end up on a course accidently in the middle of a tri (obviously did not bandit the swim and the run) but it is another thing to intentionally plan to "crash" a race.  

You make a very good point Jo, your comment is duly noted and I will take it under advisement.

2012-04-15 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4151330

User image

England
TriAya - 2012-04-15 9:59 AM
ukweeble - 2012-04-15 3:28 PM

Get well soon chuck.

Chuck! Is that a pet name, like kitten?

See, toilet paper and ice cream go together on the list, because the toilet paper gets kept on top of the freezer, or else the cats turn it into snow. And ice cream has to be last on the list, because it's at the front of the store and it'll melt by the time I get to the checkout, never mind home, if I don't get it very last.

However, when one is miserable in the ways that I am miserable, it is a very sad thing indeed to be sans TP and IC! I have baby wipes, so those will do. But they sure taste terrible frozen.

Chuck, duck, and even pet, are pet names over here, and are all meant with affection.

The toilet paper and ice cream make sense now.

2012-04-15 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4151376

User image

England
amd723 - 2012-04-15 12:21 PM
TriAya - 2012-04-15 4:03 AM

No kidding, I would have loved something like that when I was first starting out.  Heck, I'd love it now.

I think it's a brilliant set up. Next month they have another with an OWS session at Holme Pierrepont in Nottingham. In total i can go to around  5-6 of these and they are all free. They send 3-4 coaches to each session and they obviously know their stuff.

perhaps this helps to explain the success we have been having at world level, in fact one of the coaches was saying that one of the girls who started out attending the exact sessions that i went to, is currently competing in the european championships.

Watch out Craig Alexander, here i come!

2012-04-15 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4151031

User image

Elite

HAPPY MONDY EVERYBODY!

Bang here comes another week - 7 weeks until my first HIM.  It's the title that makes it freaky!  Basically it's just  triathlon but longer.  Longest i've done is Oly so I just got to add .4km to the swim, 40km to the ride and 10km to the run.  Doesn't sound so bad put like that.  I'm so pleased with my ride at the weekend - gave me a much needed confidence boost.  This week's training will be on the drainer until the weekend when I'm heading back to that track - come rain or shine.  No traffic makes it a good option.

Today I have a torture session with the myotherapist but I know it will make me feel better after and tonight swim squad with the delectable Coach Johnny.

So what is everyone else currently training for?

2012-04-15 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4151753

User image

Master
Orlando

I actually agree with you about banditing a race and don't think of what I did as banditing.  The area the race was held is a major cyclist area and the roads are open, so I was not the only one to get caught up in the bike portion.  In fact, I think they crashed my workout   I did not draft and did my best to be as inconspicuous as possible.

2012-04-15 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4150395

User image

Master
Central Kansas

The tornado that went through my county yesterday afternoon, while we were in Emporia. More on my tornado adventures in my race report. :-)

2012-04-15 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

I am alive. :-)

I went to bed last night after reading that a tornado was going through Wichita. Here was the weather announcement. The weather service is trying out a new "Impact warning" system in three states; Kansas is one. What do you think? Sufficiently frightening?

"IMPACT... THIS IS A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. YOU COULD BE KILLED IF NOT UNDERGROUND OR IN A TORNADO SHELTER. COMPLETE DESTRUCTION OF ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOODS IS LIKELY. MANY WELL BUILT HOMES AND BUSINESSES WILL BE COMPLETELY SWEPT FROM THEIR FOUNDATIONS. DEBRIS WILL BLOCK MOST ROADWAYS. MASS DEVASTATION IS HIGHLY LIKELY MAKING THE AREA UNRECOGNIZABLE TO SURVIVORS."

I don't know. A little melodramatic. Anyway . . .

I went to sleep, and then was awoken by my 16 year old yelling, "Tornado Sirens! Tornado Sirens!" Our home city is extremely cautious about sounding our sirens. They don't set them off unless they can see the tornado -- they've actually been criticized for that practice. One day a few years ago, we were under a warning, sirens didn't go off, and in the paper the next week, was a picture of the tornado --- on the ground --- about half a mile from our city. But I digress.

My point is that when we hear a siren, we respond.

So I'm running around the room, trying to wake everyone up, yelling, "Tornado! Tornado! Tornado!" I got everyone up, shoes on (in case of broken glass after), and we're running down the stairs, and I'm yelling, "Don't look at the windows! Don't look at the windows!!" (????)

There was no proper shelter in the hotel, and the windowless bathrooms and hall ways on the first floor were already packed (the hotel was sold out), so the manager offered us the employee break room. The five of us huddled in there with another couple and waited. And waited. And waited. In the meantime, the sirens are still screaming, and finally we hear horrible winds and thunder that shook even the inside room we were in.

My five year old slept through the whole thing. He doesn't remember a thing. My 11 year old was beginning to go into shock, I think. He was pale, shivering, and crying. I sent my 16 year old in search of something to wrap him in, and he came back with a bath towel, which worked.

After about 30 minutes, the sirens stopped, and the manager told us all that we could go back to our rooms. She said to come back again, if we needed to, because there were more storms on the way.

A few storms woke us up (hail, winds, rain, etc), but the sirens didn't go off again. Nevertheless, at one point in the night (maybe at about 3:00?) my 11 year old was standing next to my bed, saying, "I think I hear sirens." But there weren't any.

I don't know where the tornado was, but it didn't come near the hotel where we were staying. We didn't even see much wind damage this morning, not like I was expecting.

So it was all much ado about nothing, so to speak.

And that's the first part of my race report! I'll get the report completed once I get/find my official results. I have ballpark figures for my times, but my family needed/wanted to get going before I could get my official run time.

I wasn't completely disappointed in my performance (you can see approximate times for the bike and run in my training log), but I wanted to be faster. Of course. The wind on the bike course was crazy. I went as fast as I dared on the way out, while I had the tail wind, and then just suffered through with the head wind on the way back.

So, Reece, I don't blame you guys for ditching the scheduled bike ride today. I had a couple moments in the race where I just wanted to stop pedaling.

Thanks for all the well wishes, especially for our safety. When we got home, we could tell that our house had been shaken up a little (plaster came down from one of the ceilings), and our recycling was blown all around our yard, but other than that, everything is just fine.

I posted a picture of one of the tornadoes that went through our county yesterday. The weather guy out of Wichita said there were almost 100 tornadoes yesterday. Wow. Not an everyday event, I assure you.

2012-04-15 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4152073

User image

Master
Central Kansas
KansasMom - 2012-04-15 5:12 PM

The tornado that went through my county yesterday afternoon, while we were in Emporia. More on my tornado adventures in my race report. :-)

Oh! I just noticed that there's a little rope tornado swinging out of/into the funnel. I love rope tornadoes. They are so delicate. Funnels, I can live without, thank you.

2012-04-15 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4152099

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
KansasMom - 2012-04-15 6:36 PM
KansasMom - 2012-04-15 5:12 PM

Oh! I just noticed that there's a little rope tornado swinging out of/into the funnel. I love rope tornadoes. They are so delicate. Funnels, I can live without, thank you.

Super scary!  Glad you are okay!  Stay safe, my friend. 

2012-04-15 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4152028

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
amd723 - 2012-04-15 5:36 PM

I actually agree with you about banditing a race and don't think of what I did as banditing.  The area the race was held is a major cyclist area and the roads are open, so I was not the only one to get caught up in the bike portion.  In fact, I think they crashed my workout   I did not draft and did my best to be as inconspicuous as possible.

AMD, I wasn't referring to you banditing and even said that ending up on the course accidentally is not the same. 

I was referring to the intention to "crash" a race and use it as a training run that reecealan said his friend was planning on doing. Putting on a race costs money and most of the time events are put on for non-profit organizations.  Using the resources without paying the entry is just not cool in my books.  Even if you don't use the aid stations, the course set up and the road closures, emergency personnel, police, etc.. are still "stealing".   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81