of 44

2013-08-04 10:49 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
Originally posted by SSMinnow

A friend of mine has a pro triathlete brother who is a challenged athlete.  He lost a leg in a farm accident as a child.  He just completed Norseman yesterday in terrible storms.  If you want a challenge that would be it,  water is 55F at best and very choppy, you climb straight up a mountain for the ride and the run.  And yesterday storms/lightning blew out the cable car that takes you back down the mountain so that athletes had to walk 5K to a place where cars could meet them.

David, maybe this is for you!

All I can say is more power to those who attempt that race. Impressive and humbling.

2013-08-04 5:15 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master
Originally posted by Terps421

A friend of mine has a pro triathlete brother who is a challenged athlete.  He lost a leg in a farm accident as a child.  He just completed Norseman yesterday in terrible storms.  If you want a challenge that would be it,  water is 55F at best and very choppy, you climb straight up a mountain for the ride and the run.  And yesterday storms/lightning blew out the cable car that takes you back down the mountain so that athletes had to walk 5K to a place where cars could meet them.

All I can say is more power to those who attempt that race. Impressive and humbling.

Small world!! Local WA girl Jessica Kelley completed Norseman yesterday. She won the Blue Seventy contest where they paid for her trip, gave her a training plan, and a wetsuit. She's a crackerjack cyclist and a strong athlete. 16 hours and change. But she has two legs -- hard to top that, for sure!!

2013-08-05 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

That video was AWESOME....it scared me and made me want to try it all at the same time.  Don't know if I could handle the cold water, the mountain passes, or the climb at the end of the marathon.....even with all of my body in tact. 

2013-08-05 6:45 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Back in Indiana.......Got an open water swim in EARLY this morning.....it was wonderful to be in the lake.

Simonton

2013-08-05 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Wooooo....eeeeeeee.

Spent the weekend in Tahoe.  My new favorite line is 'Holy Mother of God'.  I've never seen an IM bike course like this.  And between Jeff and I, I've seen Canada, Wisconsin, CdA, AZ and St. George. Not too mention the halfs - Wildflower, Vineman Auburn and Rev3 Portland.

Base elevation is 6200 feet.  I did 2 loops of the 2.3 loop course, adding on a bit to cover the 'private' road we can ride early. 7400 feet of climbing in 87 miles.  At altitude. 14.7 mph, and I couldn't have ran 1 mile off the bike without a 12 hour recovery period.

As I said, HMOG.

Zillions of people out there training - great community, great vibe - people were actually ringing cowbells at us training!  Prettiest course, ever.

Swim, which had me a bit concerned, was AMAZING.  Clear, clean, gorgeous.  Great tips from the clinic I took - we'll be doing some sand running.  Other than Zach laughing so hard at me he may have hurt himself, I feel faster!!  Skipping is the fastest way to transverse the sand!

Running in the hills, at elevation - hard.  However, on the way back I stopped to look at home-for-sale flyers, and that was fun.

Pictures on FB.  Still can't figure out how to post here.

Send good thoughts our way - Zach is racing AG Nationals in WI Saturday!!!

2013-08-06 5:01 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Great video Suzy, there's a part of me that says it would be fun... I think it would be something to do once you'd done a lot of IM's and needed a new challenge. Sign up Suzy, you know you want to!

2013-08-06 8:01 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Go Zach!!!

2013-08-06 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Originally posted by copa2251

Great video Suzy, there's a part of me that says it would be fun... I think it would be something to do once you'd done a lot of IM's and needed a new challenge. Sign up Suzy, you know you want to!

Nope.  Anything that requires me to jump off a ferry isn't happening. My scary bucket list swim is a 2m swim in Lake Superior which is as cold as Norseman, but an easier start and no bike or run afterwards.  If  I ever have the luck to visit Norway it will be to experience the culture, hike and hang out.

One interesting story about my friend's brother, he fell off the bike at one point due to the rain and wind gusts and had a VERY hard time getting back on it with his prosthetic leg and newly injured shoulder.  Normally someone holds the bike while he tries to get on it, but since this is a completely unsupported race it took sheer will.  Amazing guy, he's doing IM WI in a few weeks.

2013-08-06 9:25 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Master
Linda, I'll agree with your HMOG about the Tahoe course. I would be using much less appropriate language. You guys are rock stars and tough as they come. One mile at a time come race day. Can't wait to hug you at the end!!!!!!!!!!!
2013-08-07 8:23 PM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

My first day back to work today.  Dropped the ball on the question of the week.......again.  You ready to fire me yet?

Who's racing this weekend?  We're still in the middle of high season for racing.  What's your plan this weekend?  If you're not racing what's your training plan for the weekend?

2013-08-07 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Originally posted by jfought

My first day back to work today.  Dropped the ball on the question of the week.......again.  You ready to fire me yet?

Who's racing this weekend?  We're still in the middle of high season for racing.  What's your plan this weekend?  If you're not racing what's your training plan for the weekend?

No racing for me.  I'm heading to Bloomington to visit my daughter.  I haven't seen her since May and I need a Samantha fix!  She and her boyfriend are moving into a new apartment, so I'm sure my training will involve lifting, carrying, and unpacking.  Hoping to get out on the bike soon and see if I still remember how to ride.

2013-08-07 10:16 PM

User image

Master

No racing for me......but putting Zach on the plane at 6 tomorrow morning!  More nervous than if it was me racing......

Took my bike in today, they're putting a 11-34 cassette on the back.  I was hoping for an actual engine, but I'm hoping this will help.

2013-08-07 10:48 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
No racing for me either.   I have a bike/run brick scheduled for Saturday (2:45 on the bike including some Z4 and Z3 work followed by a 30 minute run).   On Sunday I will be in the pool in the morning and then have about a 1 hour run scheduled that includes 2 one mile repeats at threshold pace.
2013-08-08 5:08 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by velcromom

No racing for me......but putting Zach on the plane at 6 tomorrow morning!  More nervous than if it was me racing......

Took my bike in today, they're putting a 11-34 cassette on the back.  I was hoping for an actual engine, but I'm hoping this will help.

An 11-34?  Holy Crap, I didn't even know they made something like that!  What about the rings in the front?

2013-08-08 5:53 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by velcromom

An 11-34?  Holy Crap, I didn't even know they made something like that!  What about the rings in the front?

Apparently Alberto Contador uses a 11-28 for climbing but swaps to a 11-32 for steeper climbs like the Giro.

2013-08-08 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

No racing for me.

I am in the heart of the training plan. I have a 3:15 min ride Saturday followed by a 55 min run. Then Sunday I have an 85 min run scheduled. I am not excited about either day. Tues we did strength training and I can barely walk today. I hope I am better by Saturday so I can simulate the bike as a race.

2013-08-08 2:25 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

No racing for me. We're in the airport on the way to Disneyland! 8 nights coming up.
2013-08-08 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

No racing here. 4+ hours on the bike Saturday. 90 minute run on Sunday.

2013-08-08 4:34 PM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Master
Hey, Trevor!  Wave as you fly over!!
2013-08-08 5:29 PM

User image

Champion

Well, I was to race an Olympic this weekend, but plans are bound to change, right? Had a crazy week due to a health issue.  One minute, I'm doing a goodjob at a long double brick and the next minute I'm thinking NO IM this year!  Argh.  6 doctors in 4 days.  Thank God for good medical care in Madison WI. The University Hospital is a huge asset.

I'm looking for the silver lining in this week so I guess it'll be that I'm healthy enough to get into the OWS tomorrow and looking forward to it?!?!  And I even to get to jump  back on my bike a little on Sunday!

2013-08-08 8:57 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Not racing but I have a ride planned with some dude from CA on Friday morning early before his kid needs his assistance to get ready to race USAT Nationals on Saturday.  I have been told he is training for an Ironman and wants to see some hills in the area.  Should be fun........  we will report back Linda! Laughing

2013-08-08 10:47 PM
in reply to: badgerintx

User image

Master
Take no prisoners, Dino!  But (maybe) remember that he's meeting you at 4am CA time!
2013-08-09 1:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Originally posted by velcromom Take no prisoners, Dino!  But (maybe) remember that he's meeting you at 4am CA time!

Great ride this morning.....  I think Jeff was having flashbacks to the rolling hills of IM-Moo about half way through the ride.  However, he deserves a cookie ice-cream sandwich for holding my wheel all morning.  

Oh, and he flew into Milwaukee from Boston, no jet lag excuses allowed.  

Couple of quick pictures from the top of Holy Hill at the Basilica:

Edited by badgerintx 2013-08-09 1:10 PM

(Jeff the billygoat 1.JPG)

(Jeff the billygoat.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Jeff the billygoat 1.JPG (1811KB - 8 downloads)
Jeff the billygoat.JPG (1802KB - 11 downloads)
2013-08-09 10:20 PM
in reply to: badgerintx

User image

Master

HA!  Poor Jeff - CA on Tues, Boston on Wednesday, Chicago on Thursday, WI on Friday.  And those don't look like his clothes.  I think I'm gonna be hearing stories!!!

I did get a text - it was a great ride!  Thanks Dino - wonderful example of a MG step-up!!!

2013-08-10 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Zach's on his bike!  Did the swim in 23:xx, had a good T1 - no word on the bike.  Bit windy, but not bad, Jeff says.  He DID leave his wetsuit on top of his running shoes - hope that works out okay!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44