BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-07-03 3:20 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

First BBQ of the long holiday weekend is in my belly... fortunately I preceded it with a nice 3 mile run. Tomorrow: a BBQ and planning on a long-ish bike ride in the morning. Saturday, yet another BBQ with a good run in the morning. Sunday may very well be a rest day

2014-07-04 12:45 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

I'm going to be a little hit & miss this next week as we're on vacation and have guests in town, but I'm working my off. 4/28 today after my second OWS today...where once again I got a little too cold, but was way more successful swimming. I do have to say that I hope my tri swim is easier than this. 40 degrees sucks, I really couldn't swim more than 75 yards without stopping. That's really humbling when I can swim endless laps without stopping in a pool.

Because I'm on vacation and don't have good estimates of distance, most of last month's training sessions are timed only, but I met the challenge and my goals. I also tried not to focus on distance (other than with the bike) as much as stamina given the altitude. However, I kicked butt. :-)

Drinking lots of beer too. Thank god. LOL.

Sandi
2014-07-04 1:24 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Last day of work before. I really didn't want to come in today. I am struggling with a really hard issue at work, not hard because the fault itself is hard but because the system throws every possible challenge in my way that it can. Break will be so good. 3 weeks off, 2 of them at my parents place while they are out of the country on a road trip. Will have a dog for a running partner again, even though it is a dachshund. I think that is more my speed. Also it is nice and hilly around there so I hope to get some work in on hills, especially running. Also maybe getting a hike or two in as well. There are some really cool tracks there that should be about 15-20km(9-12.4 miles) depending on where they go. I don't have a map of them but I know the track (and they are marked). I have always wanted to hike that.

As for working out, I really only have one so far that qualify for the challenge as I was a few minutes short on my bike ride on wednesday. Ah well, I'll throw an extra bike ride in somewhere to make up for it.
2014-07-04 8:03 AM
in reply to: Craftyviking

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Craftyviking Last day of work before. I really didn't want to come in today. I am struggling with a really hard issue at work, not hard because the fault itself is hard but because the system throws every possible challenge in my way that it can. Break will be so good. 3 weeks off, 2 of them at my parents place while they are out of the country on a road trip. Will have a dog for a running partner again, even though it is a dachshund. I think that is more my speed. Also it is nice and hilly around there so I hope to get some work in on hills, especially running. Also maybe getting a hike or two in as well. There are some really cool tracks there that should be about 15-20km(9-12.4 miles) depending on where they go. I don't have a map of them but I know the track (and they are marked). I have always wanted to hike that. As for working out, I really only have one so far that qualify for the challenge as I was a few minutes short on my bike ride on wednesday. Ah well, I'll throw an extra bike ride in somewhere to make up for it.

Nice to have a break! You can catch up on your workouts(and beers) in the next three weeks!

2014-07-04 8:04 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by sandishr I'm going to be a little hit & miss this next week as we're on vacation and have guests in town, but I'm working my off. 4/28 today after my second OWS today...where once again I got a little too cold, but was way more successful swimming. I do have to say that I hope my tri swim is easier than this. 40 degrees sucks, I really couldn't swim more than 75 yards without stopping. That's really humbling when I can swim endless laps without stopping in a pool. Because I'm on vacation and don't have good estimates of distance, most of last month's training sessions are timed only, but I met the challenge and my goals. I also tried not to focus on distance (other than with the bike) as much as stamina given the altitude. However, I kicked butt. :-) Drinking lots of beer too. Thank god. LOL. Sandi

Timed or distance, at least you are out there doing them! Good job!

I have found sometimes guests help my training....I get tired of them and need some "me" time so I go for a nice workout.

2014-07-04 8:05 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by MOlsen

First BBQ of the long holiday weekend is in my belly... fortunately I preceded it with a nice 3 mile run. Tomorrow: a BBQ and planning on a long-ish bike ride in the morning. Saturday, yet another BBQ with a good run in the morning. Sunday may very well be a rest day

I like the way your roll! BBQ/BEER/workouts!

2014-07-04 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sandishr

I'm going to be a little hit & miss this next week as we're on vacation and have guests in town, but I'm working my off. 4/28 today after my second OWS today...where once again I got a little too cold, but was way more successful swimming. I do have to say that I hope my tri swim is easier than this. 40 degrees sucks, I really couldn't swim more than 75 yards without stopping. That's really humbling when I can swim endless laps without stopping in a pool.

Because I'm on vacation and don't have good estimates of distance, most of last month's training sessions are timed only, but I met the challenge and my goals. I also tried not to focus on distance (other than with the bike) as much as stamina given the altitude. However, I kicked butt. :-)

Drinking lots of beer too. Thank god. LOL.

Sandi

Let's hear it for vacation and drinking lots of beer. You've earned it!

Wow - 40 degrees. That's really cold. Every year, I do a season opener in early May. The lake in MA where they have it is around 48-52 and its hard to swim because the breathing reflex (or whatever you call it) engages at that temp. I can't imagine swimming in 40 degrees. You are born again hard!
2014-07-04 6:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Craftyviking

Last day of work before. I really didn't want to come in today. I am struggling with a really hard issue at work, not hard because the fault itself is hard but because the system throws every possible challenge in my way that it can. Break will be so good. 3 weeks off, 2 of them at my parents place while they are out of the country on a road trip. Will have a dog for a running partner again, even though it is a dachshund. I think that is more my speed. Also it is nice and hilly around there so I hope to get some work in on hills, especially running. Also maybe getting a hike or two in as well. There are some really cool tracks there that should be about 15-20km(9-12.4 miles) depending on where they go. I don't have a map of them but I know the track (and they are marked). I have always wanted to hike that.

As for working out, I really only have one so far that qualify for the challenge as I was a few minutes short on my bike ride on wednesday. Ah well, I'll throw an extra bike ride in somewhere to make up for it.

Enjoy your vacation. Be nice to that Dachshund - and don't run it into the ground.

What beer are you drinking these days?

Dave

Edited by Qua17 2014-07-04 6:33 PM
2014-07-04 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
Had a good long ride/brick today! Even though it was a rest day - I really tried to ride as many hills as possible and went out of my way to find them. I rode one hill pretty hard that has broken me in years past and that helped my confidence. But my routes aren't hilly enough.... IMMT has 6000 feet of elevation gain and today I did 3000 in 80. I have a practice ride in 2 weeks where I'm riding 112. Even if I make it 6001 - it will be a huge psychological victory.

My mission today was to do a better job of using my HRM to moderate my speed. I was trying to keep my HR around 119 for the duration - and hit it right on the head. I also tried eating more on my runs (400 cal. per hour) and that seemed to help as well.

To celebrate - my family and I are ordering pizza and drinking PBR in honor of the Fourth! I wish everyone south of the (canadian) border a happy 4th of July!
2014-07-05 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Bike this morning =BBQ pizza & beer

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1965KB - 5 downloads)
2014-07-06 12:52 AM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17

Wow - 40 degrees. That's really cold. Every year, I do a season opener in early May. The lake in MA where they have it is around 48-52 and its hard to swim because the breathing reflex (or whatever you call it) engages at that temp. I can't imagine swimming in 40 degrees. You are born again hard!

I'm just hoping it makes my OWS at the tri a little easier to take. The one good thing about this lake was that it was both clear and shallow in the swimming area, so when I got breathless I was able to stand up momentarily. I THINK it was due to the cold, but I was breathless the equivalent of every lap (per my stroke count), so stopped probably 7 times in 400 yds. I got better my last 100 yds--and I think this was due to getting very acclimated to the cold, which realistically meant that I needed to get out, despite it being easier to actually practice real swimming in--but I'm not going to have the advantage of being able to stand when breathless/panicked at the tri. I am also discovering that I am TERRIBLE at bilateral breathing. breathing to my right side is like using my left hand to write. Otherwise swimming is very natural for me, but this cold thing and the bilateral breathing make me feel like I just took swimming lessons yesterday. Really, I'm just praying the conditions at the tri are optimal as far as the swim goes. I'm going to be screwed if the waves hit the wrong direction or are high.

Otherwise, things are going well. I did try ladders today and an hour training session FELT more productive to me. My fasts were much faster than I had been able to maintain, although the "easy" made up for it so the overall mph at the end of the hour was the same as my prior training sessions and I had gone the same distance....but I WAS able to maintain a higher mph during my fast periods than I had previously. I don't think it will make much difference for the tri in two weeks, but it was a good learning experience for the future.

Sandi

2014-07-06 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

run with my wife, swim with my son, sitting at 7/28. One week until race day....

2014-07-06 8:57 PM

User image

Expert
Quick question for the group - I am really struggling to drink enough water on my long rides and runs. Our place up in MI is about 15 miles outside of time and the places where I am running and biking don't have a convenience store on every corner. Plus, I only have two bottle racks on my bike. When you combine these factors with the fact that I sweat about 45 oz per hour, I am getting dehydrated way too frequently.

With money being tight - does anyone in the group have any ideas about how I could bring more water along on my rides/runs? I could slip another bottle in my bike shirt - but that only buys me another half hour and doesn't work on the run.

I was thinking of getting a hydration back pack - but they are kind of expensive. I basically have 4 more weeks of training and then the problem solves itself.

Thoughts?
2014-07-06 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

run with my wife, swim with my son, sitting at 7/28. One week until race day....

Who else besides Mr. Molson is racing this upcoming weekend?
2014-07-06 9:17 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sandishr

I'm just hoping it makes my OWS at the tri a little easier to take. The one good thing about this lake was that it was both clear and shallow in the swimming area, so when I got breathless I was able to stand up momentarily. I THINK it was due to the cold, but I was breathless the equivalent of every lap (per my stroke count), so stopped probably 7 times in 400 yds. I got better my last 100 yds--and I think this was due to getting very acclimated to the cold, which realistically meant that I needed to get out, despite it being easier to actually practice real swimming in--but I'm not going to have the advantage of being able to stand when breathless/panicked at the tri. I am also discovering that I am TERRIBLE at bilateral breathing. breathing to my right side is like using my left hand to write. Otherwise swimming is very natural for me, but this cold thing and the bilateral breathing make me feel like I just took swimming lessons yesterday. Really, I'm just praying the conditions at the tri are optimal as far as the swim goes. I'm going to be screwed if the waves hit the wrong direction or are high.

Otherwise, things are going well. I did try ladders today and an hour training session FELT more productive to me. My fasts were much faster than I had been able to maintain, although the "easy" made up for it so the overall mph at the end of the hour was the same as my prior training sessions and I had gone the same distance....but I WAS able to maintain a higher mph during my fast periods than I had previously. I don't think it will make much difference for the tri in two weeks, but it was a good learning experience for the future.

Sandi

So Sandi - since you are a good swimmer - would it make sense to just try to do bilateral breathing less? If your tri goes in a clock-wise direction - you could just swim to the outside and sight off other people as you breath to the right (this is assuming you stronger side is on the right.) Also - would it help to use a wet suit cap or double or even triple up on your swim caps? Man - 40 degrees... that's just brutal!
2014-07-06 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Quick question for the group - I am really struggling to drink enough water on my long rides and runs. Our place up in MI is about 15 miles outside of time and the places where I am running and biking don't have a convenience store on every corner. Plus, I only have two bottle racks on my bike. When you combine these factors with the fact that I sweat about 45 oz per hour, I am getting dehydrated way too frequently.

With money being tight - does anyone in the group have any ideas about how I could bring more water along on my rides/runs? I could slip another bottle in my bike shirt - but that only buys me another half hour and doesn't work on the run.

I was thinking of getting a hydration back pack - but they are kind of expensive. I basically have 4 more weeks of training and then the problem solves itself.

Thoughts?

(1) Loops around the house. Sucks and is boring, but you can set up a cooler and grab and go.

(2) On the bike, I run a fancy (read: expensive and cool, if not really any better than the other options) X-Lab setup with two saddle-mount cages, so with two frame mounts, that brings me up to four cages. Minour has one {url=http://www.trisports.com/midocasamo.html] http://www.trisports.com/midocasamo.html that's pretty cheap.

Profile Design makes a nice one too http://www.rei.com/product/721789/profile-aqua-rack, if a bit pricier. Make sure it fits around your seatpost.

2014-07-07 7:45 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

, Vermont
Alan, do you have to "invite'" us or "accept" us to get in?
Thanks,
~Jenn
2014-07-07 7:54 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Alan, do you have to "invite'" us or "accept" us to get in? Thanks, ~Jenn

I set it up as an open group. You should just be able to join and that's it. If that doesn't work, I can try inviting everyone. I just need your strava names so I can find you. 

2014-07-07 8:09 AM

User image

, Vermont
Alan, does it have a name I can search under after selecting the "triathlon" group?

Nevermind! Found it! Thanks!

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-07-07 8:13 AM
2014-07-07 8:12 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

BDAAS or follow the link: http://www.strava.com/clubs/99951

2014-07-07 11:07 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Mentor buddies:

4/6 for the month and need some advice.

I was sure I was getting nothing out of the weekend as I was at a three day conference. However with some great family support I got out for 5k on each evening to make the 28\28 a reachable goal.

Today there are serious thunderstorms in the area and lots of rain which ruined my cycle commute (would have got me 2 workouts). I have no trouble of riding or running in the rain but had no way to transport dry clothes for my day at work. So now I am staring down the barrel of running a 4th day in a row.

My legs have seriously complained about running 3 days in a row. With km times reducing by about 10 seconds each day. I have never before tried daily running and I am getting all sorts of calf twinges. Hopefully the feeling of my legs adjusting and improving.

Anything I should be doing? I have been stretching but probably not enough. Might give the roller a go tonight. Do I need to just ride through the period of adjustment?

2014-07-07 8:46 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Expert
Originally posted by badmo77a

Mentor buddies:

4/6 for the month and need some advice.

I was sure I was getting nothing out of the weekend as I was at a three day conference. However with some great family support I got out for 5k on each evening to make the 28\28 a reachable goal.

Today there are serious thunderstorms in the area and lots of rain which ruined my cycle commute (would have got me 2 workouts). I have no trouble of riding or running in the rain but had no way to transport dry clothes for my day at work. So now I am staring down the barrel of running a 4th day in a row.

My legs have seriously complained about running 3 days in a row. With km times reducing by about 10 seconds each day. I have never before tried daily running and I am getting all sorts of calf twinges. Hopefully the feeling of my legs adjusting and improving.

Anything I should be doing? I have been stretching but probably not enough. Might give the roller a go tonight. Do I need to just ride through the period of adjustment?

Adrian, the 28/28 challenge is to motivate people to resist inertia, get off their , and get out the door. You have been doing battle to get workouts in.. It's not your fault it rained today.. Plus - your body is telling you it's tired. So feel free to take the day off.

If you decide to soldier on - be sure to roll and ice. You are a machine!
2014-07-07 9:24 PM

User image

So Sandi - since you are a good swimmer - would it make sense to just try to do bilateral breathing less? If your tri goes in a clock-wise direction - you could just swim to the outside and sight off other people as you breath to the right (this is assuming you stronger side is on the right.) Also - would it help to use a wet suit cap or double or even triple up on your swim caps? Man - 40 degrees... that's just brutal!

I breathe very naturally to my left side. Turning to my right is really awkward and absolutely destroys my cadence or any rhythm I get going. I've tried to train for it and am just failing...I'll focus on it more in the future.. I also think my neck muscles my be imbalanced or less flexible or something to that side....really, it's like writing with my non-dominant hand (which I'm pretty much incapable of). I'm sort of ok at breathing up/sighting, but not great. I just don't have enough OWS practice, basically.

My tri is in one direction, and IF there are significant waves, they'll be coming at my left/breathing side. This is why I'm concerned. My plan is to get to the location I'll be doing the tri swim a day early and do a practice at it. If it goes well and quickly, I may do it twice...once at crawl in wetsuit, and once doing breast stroke without (breast seemed really awkward in the wetsuit, am I wrong there?). My thought was that while it would be less efficient and slower to do breast without the wetsuit in bad conditions, at least I could finish the swim. The tri swim will also be in warmer water...still really cold water, but probably 60's as opposed to 40. I'm hoping that by doing the worst I made it seem a little easier. LOL.

Bummed that my last training day here on vacation was ruined...fire, terrible air, so I'll unfortunately have two days off before I can train again. Twelve days to go!
2014-07-07 9:42 PM

Bismarck, ND
I don't know anything about strava. Does it connect instantly with garmin connect? Is it just another tracking site? I already track on myfitnesspal, beginner triathlete and garmin.
2014-07-07 10:13 PM

User image

On a beer note, just thought I'd share the weekend purchase. :-)

Edited...sigh...for some reason the iphone app won't let me add pics. Will try later...but it's a pretty awesome beer cooler. :-)

Edited by sandishr 2014-07-08 12:05 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51178 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19871 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.