BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-04-26 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1363318

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-April 26-TERP VS. BF!!!

gracetheterp - 2008-04-26 8:41 AM Bahhhh I just got my packet yesterday...I'm entry #7. In a pool swim. So my seed time for the swim was the 7th fastest....and EVERYONE minus six people gets to watch me start. Nerve-racking. Boyfriend rode his new bike yesterday for the first time as we were surveying the bike course...it was constantly making noise like it was trying to change gears, but he couldn't actually get the big ring to switch. He's really bummed. We're going to take it to the store we got it today. He should have ridden it there when we picked it up, but we were under a huge time crunch.

That just means you have six people to catch!

His cables probably aren't tight enough.  Happens often.

2008-04-26 6:28 PM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

Veteran
Has anyone ever heard of anyone using the NeverReach system for hydrating? I found it in the triathlete magazine, it looks kind of funny but it looks like it would work great. Any thoughs? www.NeverReach.com
2008-04-27 6:55 AM
in reply to: #1363820

User image

Regular
natebs - 2008-04-26 7:28 PM

Has anyone ever heard of anyone using the NeverReach system for hydrating? I found it in the triathlete magazine, it looks kind of funny but it looks like it would work great. Any thoughs? www.NeverReach.com

I've seen those but have never tried one. I believe that Bill uses an aerobar mounted aero-drink which is a similar idea. Probably doesn't carry as much liquid but I don't know. Bill?
2008-04-27 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1356120

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-CANDACE=IRONWOMAN!!!!

wyndswept - 2008-04-23 1:33 AM Sorry for the delayed response... Nice job in Boston Paul and Chris!!!! You guys are amazing for running so far. Doesn't look like you could have done any walking even. So where are those race reports???

Thanks for the congrats! Well, my race report is up. A bit long winded, but I think it'll be helpful to remember all of it for the next time I go into a race with confidence thats out of proportion with my training . . .

2008-04-27 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1364272

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

pshorty - 2008-04-27 6:55 AM
natebs - 2008-04-26 7:28 PM Has anyone ever heard of anyone using the NeverReach system for hydrating? I found it in the triathlete magazine, it looks kind of funny but it looks like it would work great. Any thoughs? www.NeverReach.com
I've seen those but have never tried one. I believe that Bill uses an aerobar mounted aero-drink which is a similar idea. Probably doesn't carry as much liquid but I don't know. Bill?

Yeah, I use the front mounted aero drink.  Holds enough for an Oly tri and is simple.  That never reach thing not only looks wierd but it's huge.  I don't think I'd ever need it.  Even in a Ironman situation, you're grabbing bottles at aid stations and it's easy to refill the aerodrink.  I'd bust my reaching to the back to stick a water bottle in that never reach.

2008-04-27 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1360284

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

pshorty - 2008-04-24 5:15 PM Looks like I timed things pretty well. I am sick as sh-ee-at today.

Feeling any better?

I met Paul in Boston (was it really just a week ago?) -- he's actually much more fit looking than in his avatar picture, which makes him look strangely short, squat, and covered in hair. He's not like that at all.

Paul, you may not know, is actually doing really cool research an agricultural issues and some progressive-sounding education for farmers on green farming techniques . . .

2008-04-27 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Who has the next race?
2008-04-27 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Nathan asked me where my computer was mounted so it didn't interfere with the aerodrink.  Here is a pic, but it's kinda hard to see.  When I get my aeros back on, I'll snap another.

(a.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
a.JPG (42KB - 17 downloads)
2008-04-27 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1332775

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

natebs - 2008-04-12 11:17 AM  PS. when you guys race (half/full marathon distance) what is your average heart rate for the race? Just wounding if mine is too high when I race. My last race it was at 92% for the first 20K.

Nathan, sorry for the late reply on the heart rate data. I find that my average heart rate for a half marathon is brought up to about 88% when I take into account my final kick. (I've only done this test for one 1/2 marathon distance . . .)

I generally race at 75-80% of Max HR for races 5 miles to 13 miles . . . 

92% does sound a bit high, but then again I tend to watch my HR and check in every minute or so to make sure its in the window where I want it . . .

I'm still learning about how to work with Heart Rate and data, so I KNOW there are better people on this site to ask about it . . .  

2008-04-27 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
thanks for the info guys, I never would have thought to put the computer there.
2008-04-28 6:46 AM
in reply to: #1364483

User image

DC
TheMaz - 2008-04-27 12:00 PM

Paul, you may not know, is actually doing really cool research an agricultural issues and some progressive-sounding education for farmers on green farming techniques . .

Paul- are you really? That's really interesting. Seriously. I'm an enviro. science major, and I come from a really agricultural area. The boyfriend is an agricultural/resource econ major, and is also interested in that kind of stuff....you don't have need of any fresh-out-of-college employees do you??

So I lost the race- Nick crushed me by a solid 5:30 (even with a 44:26 mile pace for the swim). I still had an awesome race (for me) though so I'm really pumped. Will put the race report up later.

I have my bike computer on my aerobars, sideways Don't think that really helps anyone, though.

2008-04-28 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1365656

User image

Regular
gracetheterp - 2008-04-28 7:46 AM

Paul, you may not know, is actually doing really cool research an agricultural issues and some progressive-sounding education for farmers on green farming techniques . .

Paul- are you really? That's really interesting. Seriously. I'm an enviro. science major, and I come from a really agricultural area. The boyfriend is an agricultural/resource econ major, and is also interested in that kind of stuff....you don't have need of any fresh-out-of-college employees do you??

So I lost the race- Nick crushed me by a solid 5:30 (even with a 44:26 mile pace for the swim). I still had an awesome race (for me) though so I'm really pumped. Will put the race report up later.

I have my bike computer on my aerobars, sideways Don't think that really helps anyone, though.

Good job on your race!!!

My lab (I am a professor at Purdue) does a bunch of different types of research. It's all basically microbiological issues associated with agriculture/livestock which means that I work with poo. In fact, I have freezers full of poo, all different varieties, flavors, etc. My little nephews saw the freezers and were absolutely amazed and had to have their pictures taken with all the poo. We have looked at the development of antibiotic resistance in livestock production, we do some virology type stuff, but right now we are concentrating on developing "greener" antibacterial treatments. This usually means using viruses of some variety to kill bacteria or coming up with new vaccine strategies (cheaper, more practical, etc.).

We also are starting to work on odor issues (again coming from poo!!) and how odor affects the health/quality of life of neighbors who live close to larger livestock facilities and how that can be fixed.

I also have an extension appt. and for that I am trying to develop education programs for farmers who produce livestock using non-conventional production systems like organic, pasture raised pork/poultry, grass-fed beef, etc. This is mostly "how-to" type of stuff.

That's what I do. What does everyone else do?

I know that Chris is a teacher, I believe that Bill works in banking, Grace is a student, and Candace sells veggie burritos in the parking lots at Phil Lesh and Rat Dog concerts

2008-04-28 8:32 AM

User image

Regular

you don't have need of any fresh-out-of-college employees do you??

Do I have to pay you?

Seriously, what are you going to do after graduation? You're going to law school, right?
2008-04-28 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1364482

User image

Regular
sesh - 2008-04-27 11:59 AM

pshorty - 2008-04-27 6:55 AM
natebs - 2008-04-26 7:28 PM Has anyone ever heard of anyone using the NeverReach system for hydrating? I found it in the triathlete magazine, it looks kind of funny but it looks like it would work great. Any thoughs? www.NeverReach.com

Yeah, I use the front mounted aero drink.  Holds enough for an Oly tri and is simple.  That never reach thing not only looks wierd but it's huge.  I don't think I'd ever need it.  Even in a Ironman situation, you're grabbing bottles at aid stations and it's easy to refill the aerodrink.  I'd bust my reaching to the back to stick a water bottle in that never reach.

Yes, it does look very big. I can't see how something sticking that far off your frame would not be aerodynamically detrimental, even if it shaped like that.
2008-04-28 3:51 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I got to look for terrorists today. 

Not as cool as it sounds. 

2008-04-28 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Just for the record then;
I am a supervisor at a chemical plant. We make activtive pharmaceutical ingredents for other companies (their main ingredent). They will then mix it into a pill/cream/eye drop.
If you go to www.torcan.com and click on services; the bottom 2 pictures are in the area where I work.
As a supervisor I supervise the pilot plant, kilo laboratories and small scale laboratories. We have a R&D laboratories which will come up with the project then send it to us. We ussally we make it in the Kilo lab in small quanities to make sure everything works and if the "other company" needs more or a higher volume will make it in the pilot plant. The small scale lab creates only 5 - 250 grams of product, the kilo lab can create .250 kg - 5 kg and the pilot plant goes from 5 kg and up to what ever they need. Most of the products are in FDA trials, we aim for the 2nd/3rd stage clients. Some of the "stuff" we work on is for: glaucoma, new cancer treatments, bowel disfunctions, new anesthetics.
Always doing something different every day, which is one of the reasons I enjoy working there. 10.5 years now. Shift work sucks though.

2008-04-28 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

P So I lost the race- Nick crushed me by a solid 5:30 (even with a 44:26 mile pace for the swim). I still had an awesome race (for me) though so I'm really pumped. Will put the race report up later. I have my bike computer on my aerobars, sideways Don't think that really helps anyone, though.

Good race -- can't wait to read the report. How'd you do coming out of the swim?

So, I assume BF solved his bike problem? (Next time, just let a little air out of the tires . . . .

2008-04-28 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1368071

User image

DC
TheMaz - 2008-04-28 8:59 PM

P So I lost the race- Nick crushed me by a solid 5:30 (even with a 44:26 mile pace for the swim). I still had an awesome race (for me) though so I'm really pumped. Will put the race report up later. I have my bike computer on my aerobars, sideways Don't think that really helps anyone, though.

Good race -- can't wait to read the report. How'd you do coming out of the swim?

So, I assume BF solved his bike problem? (Next time, just let a little air out of the tires . . . .

Race report is up on my training log. I learned a lot from the race, so it's kind of long. Coming out of the swim was COLD!! Going from an 82 degree pool to 50 + wind degree air temperature is unpleasant to say the least.

Bill was right about the cable tension...we took Nick's bike to the shop and they played with the cables & a slightly bent rear derailleur for about 15 minutes. Works well now.

Anyone racing this weekend?
Chris and Paul- you guys recovered yet? Paul your logs claim running's still tough but you knocked out 7 miles which is more than I could dream of doing at this point so I'm taking that with a grain of salt Someone started an ice bath thread on Triathlon Talk- you guys do that?
2008-04-28 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1365855

User image

DC
pshorty - 2008-04-28 9:32 AM

you don't have need of any fresh-out-of-college employees do you??

Do I have to pay you?

Seriously, what are you going to do after graduation? You're going to law school, right?

Pay would be great. Your work sounds more science-y than our degrees though.
Law school hopefully in '09. France as an English teaching assistant in October '08 if all goes well (find out in the next few weeks). I need a break from school.
Already trying to figure out how I can pack a wetsuit and bike while still bringing enough clothes to last 10 months abroad
2008-04-28 8:41 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Ice baths rock.  Used to HATE them.  Now... oh my... they are bliss.
2008-04-28 8:44 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
90% of the time, the cables are the problem with a bike that is clicking, not shifting, jerking, etc.  Often happens when they assemble them then hand them off to you.  The torque your putting on the crank is a bit different than checking the gears while it's hanging from a work stand.  Also, it's a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY good idea to take the bike in once a year to get the cables checked at the very least.

2008-04-28 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1365852

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
pshorty - 2008-04-28 6:31 AM

I know that Chris is a teacher, I believe that Bill works in banking, Grace is a student, and Candace sells veggie burritos in the parking lots at Phil Lesh and Rat Dog concerts

I guess I will add to our career info, mainly because I enjoy reading about what the rest of you are up to. When I am finished cooking up fatty burritos ( ), I work at a GIS software company. The company is called ESRI, you may have heard of them if you have done any GIS work. If not, the easiest way to discribe our software is that it is related to mapping, but more complicated and cool.

I think it is great hearing about you guys because of what else we have in common. During my GIS career I went to grad school for Environmental Science and I worked for the USDA - Farm Service Agency. I didn't get to play with fancy poo but I do have my own worm composting bin and stir the worm castings (poo) quite often.

Currently, I am removed from anything environmental. I am working with a team of folks creating extensions for our software that are used in the Defense and Intel world. It is a lot of designing and testing software with some light coding and tech presentations in the mix.
2008-04-29 7:06 AM
in reply to: #1368290

User image

DC
wyndswept - 2008-04-28 10:46 PM

pshorty - 2008-04-28 6:31 AM

I guess I will add to our career info, mainly because I enjoy reading about what the rest of you are up to. When I am finished cooking up fatty burritos ( ), I work at a GIS software company. The company is called ESRI, you may have heard of them if you have done any GIS work. If not, the easiest way to discribe our software is that it is related to mapping, but more complicated and cool.

I think it is great hearing about you guys because of what else we have in common. During my GIS career I went to grad school for Environmental Science and I worked for the USDA - Farm Service Agency. I didn't get to play with fancy poo but I do have my own worm composting bin and stir the worm castings (poo) quite often.

Currently, I am removed from anything environmental. I am working with a team of folks creating extensions for our software that are used in the Defense and Intel world. It is a lot of designing and testing software with some light coding and tech presentations in the mix.

Candace- that's really interesting, too. I took a GIS class here as a restricted elective. I kind of wish I had taken more classes- it's actually a major here- because I heard it's a skill a lot of environmental employers like to see applicants have. You can do so much cool stuff with GIS!
2008-04-29 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

This is cool finding out what everybody does.  I'll go more into detail.

If you're familiar with how a bank works, you know that basically they take deposits and lend them out.  They have to keep a certain amount of money in a cash reserve to cover any loans that go bad.  This is where I come in.  I go through loan file after loan file looking at payment histories and financial statements, assesing any risk in the loan portfolio and classifying loans as necessary.  Oooh... how fun right?  Every quarter I take the report our accountants file with the FDIC and generate a report for the board of directors that includes all kinds of exciting stuff like reserve coverage, portfolio concentration, delinquency ratios, etc.  Mmm... numbers.  I love them.  Basically, we the risk in the banks portfolio and make recommendations.  We're the bad guys in a good market, and the guys everyone pays attention to in a bad one.  The real estate market is making things pretty interesting, and really busy, right now.

I do all this for a community bank with just over 2billion in assets, as opposed to the trillion something of a Bank of America.  We're located all over Mississippi and have moved into Mobile, AL and Destin, FL.  A very cool mix of markets from chicken farmers to real estate developers.

Hard to be involved in the enviro stuff, especially poo related, when I play with numbers all day.  I did graduate from Mississippi State, though.  It's has one hell of an ag school, and even has a cow with a hole in it.

Edited by sesh 2008-04-29 7:48 AM
2008-04-29 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Here's a better view of where my computer is mounted so the aero drink has no problems.

(IMGP2497.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMGP2497.JPG (35KB - 16 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33