Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2008-09-12 3:58 PM
in reply to: #1355942

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Caius's Group - CLOSED
Thanks Caius - do you know how the 113 would compare to the Peterborough 1/2?  Good luck out there this weekend, I've heard that bike course should be a tough one.

2008-09-13 1:51 AM
in reply to: #1671173

Veteran
Idaho

Hi everyone ! Well between work and starting back to school, I am taking 2 classes this semester,  it's been pretty hectic lately. Good news for my family, my daughter had a healthy baby boy last week, weighed in at 5 lbs 3 oz. Although he was 3 weeks early there were no complications. Now I get to go visit Texas again to see him   I love being the one that gets to play with the babies and not the one that has to do the middle of the night feedings. Been there and done that enough lol.

For off season training I would really like to improve my running, it is my weakest skill right now. I need to find a good training plan that will help me build my endurance. My goal is to a triathlon in under 2 hours next year.

Good luck Caius in your race, hope it doesn't rain on you ! Anyone else racing this weekend ?

2008-09-13 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hi Everyone!

Life got a little busy for me this week as well, thus my absence on the forum.

Great new avatars Terry and Gloria! Terry, how did you like the new "aero skid lid"?

Neil, It may be long for a username but I like "The triathlete formerly know as squishybelly" for a new call sign!

Caius - great story about following the kids to school. I bet if you were to look around you would have seen many other parents doing the same thing!

As far as plans for the rest of the season, I have a sprint tri next weekend. I was planning to do an oly the weekend after that, but , my hectic schedule may end up getting in the way of that. These are "c" races for me anyway, and won't be all that dissapointed if I miss one. I'm doing a 1/2 mary in october, and if I'm feeling good after that, I'm going to carry that momementum into a full mary training plan. I'll see how that all goes, but I'm thinking about attempting the 26.2 next spring some time.

I could use some direction in off season training. What type of maintenance plans do you all follow? Just curious about how much to tone back without losing fitness. I'm searching for that balance between staying fit and not being burned out.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Tim
2008-09-13 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Toronto

squishybelly - 2008-09-12 4:58 PM Thanks Caius - do you know how the 113 would compare to the Peterborough 1/2?  Good luck out there this weekend, I've heard that bike course should be a tough one.

The Muskoka bike course seems to be quite hilly. The total elevation climb is not as high as Lake Placid as the hills are shorter, however they are much steeper. Doing training bike runs in and around Milton/Kelso would probably be a good idea. You don't have to power through the bike course. Know that overall speed might be lower, but it will be lower for everyone. The trick is to manage your resources. Conserve some strength so that you will have something on the run.

We'll see how well I execute that tomorrow. I have my doubts...

2008-09-13 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1671954

User image

Expert
Toronto
triidahogirl - 2008-09-13 2:51 AM

Good luck Caius in your race, hope it doesn't rain on you !

Thanks Gloria and congratulations on your daughter's son. That's so awesome!!!

As for the rain, well right now they're calling for lots of rain tomorrow. Sigh...

I'm starting to post some pics from the event via my facebook page if anyone is interested...

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=159892&id=622335155

Talk to you all soon.

Edited by caius 2008-09-13 11:45 AM
2008-09-14 12:24 AM
in reply to: #1672237

Veteran
Idaho

caius - 2008-09-13 10:42 AM Thanks Gloria and congratulations on your daughter's son. That's so awesome!!!/QUOTE]

What kind of grandma would I be if I didn't show off pictures of my adorable grandsons??!! Here they are Jason holding little Daniel for the first time

(P9090138.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
P9090138.jpg (17KB - 25 downloads)

2008-09-15 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Toronto

squishybelly - 2008-09-12 4:58 PM Thanks Caius - do you know how the 113 would compare to the Peterborough 1/2?  Good luck out there this weekend, I've heard that bike course should be a tough one.

Okay, I can finally answer your question properly. The Muskoka 70.3 course was a killer. First, the bike course is super hilly. The hills are not particularly long but they are steep and there are a lot of them with barely any time for recovery. By the end of the bike your legs will be severely punished. And then come the run course. Another hilly challenge. Up, down, turn right, turn left, etc. Sadistic.

People are saying that this is the toughest 70.3 course. I can't say that, but I can tell you that I found it physically tougher than Ironman Lake Placid. Ironman racing has its own set of challenges that go beyond the 70.3 but from a pure muscular pain standpoint, Muskoka was tougher.

With all that said, I absolutely loved it. Okay, I admit it, at about the 60K point on the bike I had enough. By the end of the bike course, I didn't want to see my bike anymore. But still, I loved it.

<Caveat...my view on the course may be slanted by the fact that I did a half iron race 2 weeks prior to Muskoka and by the fact that between IMLP and Muskoka I have barely been training. Between The Canadian and Muskoka, hardly anything, so I have certainly lost some peak endurance/fitness.>

No dates have been announced yet for the 2009 race which I find sort of curious.

2008-09-15 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

Tim - Love the new aero helmet.  I have some pics from the recent sprint in my album now, but not a good one of the helmet.

There are a lot of free training plans on BT for those of us who are looking for a winter maintenance plan.  I'm thinking of taking the 20-week Oly plan I did in the spring and maybe halfing the training volume each day.  It is a 2x plan (swim 2x, bike 2x, run 2x a week).  I may take several weeks off from scheduled training after the last tri on the 27th of this month.

Caius - I've heard that winter is the best time to lose weight and not during competition season, build-phases, etc.  I'd like to drop 5 or 7 lbs.  Would the base-phase in winter be the best time to lose a few pounds?

2008-09-15 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto

I don't know For the past couple of years I usually put on about 7-8lbs every winter. Mostly around Christmas time. I love the big family holiday meals, cakes, cookies, etc. Yum. Within about a month (max 2) of getting back on the training program I shed about 4-5lbs and drop the rest as I get ready for my A race.

The winter season is a tough period to loose weight. Between all the holidays and the reduced volume of training it's not easy, especially if you continue to eat as much as you did while in full training mode (me). If however, you can cut your calorie intake to meet your winter caloric burn and maintain or loose some weight, well then you'll be that much more ahead come early sprint when you ramp things back up again.

That's my aim every fall and winter but haven't been able to do it yet. I love food too much and just don't enough willpower

2008-09-16 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Toronto
2008-09-16 1:20 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Gloria - congrats on the new addition to the family.  Our new little one is due today, but she is not cooperating at this point.  Her big brother did the same thing, so it may be a few more days.

Terry - I need the flipside of your plan.  I need to gain a few pounds.  I'm now down to 157lbs (same as high school).  I've always been lean (skinny), but I was in the mid 170's when I started all of this a year ago.  I'm actually going to up my calorie intake over the winter, and hit the weights to try and put on a few pounds - but (and don't hate me for this) I have an incredibly hard time putting on weight.  Plus, I plan to live in the basement and try to improve my cycling endurance over the winter.  I really want to be faster for next year.

Caius - congrats on the race.  You've certainly done your job mentoring us since April, and have really shown what some dedication and hard work will do.  You've had an incredibly packed season, and I'm kinda assuming you'll scale things back and try to recuperate a bit over the next couple of months.  But correct me if I'm wrong.

And I have a question for you.  If I do 3 bike rides a week, how should I split the training intensity to see the most gains over the winter.  i.e. How much time doing intervals, zone 4 rides, zone 2 rides, etc.  I'm still very confused on this point.  (I also want to apply the same concepts to my running).

2008-09-16 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1677706

User image

Expert
Toronto

First off, okay, you gotta keep us posted on your little guy/girl and let us know once they're here. Pics are a must! How exciting!

Now that the season is over I'm going to take things down a notch and just go do some unstructured training. My sole goal over the coming months will be do improve my run speed and increase my leg strength. I will do this by upping my running frequency, increasing my pace and hitting the weights at the gym.

As for your question on intensity, it's a good one an in all honesty I had the "aha" moment on this just a couple of days ago. Sometimes you read stuff and read stuff but your mind just isn't ready to process it and really understand it. Let me recap what I think I now understand, which really, is quite very simple. So simple that I don't know why it didn't click before.

1. The first part is building your endurance base. Your first order of business is to up your weekly swim, bike and run distances (slowly, remember the 10% rule) until you reach the race distance in each of the sports. Slightly longer is better actually so that you have some buffer.

2. Okay you now have base/raw endurance taken care of. You now need to start doing some specific training. That is, you will need to start changing your training sessions so that that they are more like what's going to happen on race day. You are moving from general to specific training.

3. First up is doing combo sessions. That is, swim first then bike. Or swim then run. Bike and run, etc. It's great if they can be brick sessions (one right after the other) but at the very least do 2 sports per day. Say one in the morning, the other in the afternoon or evening.

4. Done that? Great, you are now ready to complete the tri. Notice I said complete; not race. If you want to 'race' we need to keep working on making things more and more specific. This means adding speed to the mix.

5. Start by adding a race pace session to at least one of your weekly bike and run sessions. Say you are doing a 2 hr bike ride. Start by adding 30 minutes at race pace somewhere in that ride. So maybe you will do a 30' zone 2, followed by 30' at your desired race pace and 60' zone 2. Next week increase the length of your race pace session by 10% so you'll do a 30' zone 2, 35' and race pace, 55' zone 2 and so on. Over time you will spend more and more time at your distance's race pace. Specific training.

6. You can do the same thing for running, however, keep in mind that running takes a bigger toll on your body so make sure you plan you sessions to allow for ample recovery time. Remember, gains are made during the recovery period, not during the hard sessions.

7. Add intervals, fartleks, etc. to your weekly sessions. These will push you well above race pace (not true for short distance races) and will help edge your speed up which you will hone at your race pace rides/runs.

Okay, here's the bare bones 'take home message'...

If you want to ride and run fast in a race. You have to ride and run fast during training. The difference is that during training you want to do just enough to cause your body rebuild itself stronger during recovery but not too much to prevent you from recovering doing it all over again the next day. There's a fine line there.

My only other piece of advice is to be careful not to over do it during the winter and get burnt out.  From now until our next races in June of '09 is a LONG time and it's easy to get so wrapped up in training that by the time May roles around we'll be sick of it.

2008-09-16 4:11 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Thanks Caius - but I wouldn't be me if I didn't ask additional questions.

1)  How long should you rely on base training, whereby the vast majority of your work is done in the lower HR's?

2)  How long before the first Tri next season (let's say June) should you start to include those intensity sessions - or do you do them throughout the entire winter?

And I fully agree with the barebones reasoning - train faster to race faster.  But I've seen so many posts saying train in Z2 to get faster.  So very confusing.

2008-09-17 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1678210

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congrats Gloria on being a grandma again.  Your grandkids are lucky to have an active grandma like you!  My fingers are crossed for you Neil that you will have a new son or daughter soon. 

Great job in Muskoka, Caius!  Sounds like a tough race. 

Training at Christmas time will hopefully be good for me as we have just started booking our trip to Mexico.  I certainly plan to do a ton of swimming, pool and ocean if I can.  Thanks to Caius' suggestion I started looking at the Barcelo chain and we (including our 2 kids) are staying at the Barcelo Colonial Beach.   I can hardly wait! 

Edited by tracyhmcd 2008-09-17 8:36 AM
2008-09-17 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1679181

User image

Expert
Toronto

tracyhmcd - 2008-09-17 9:35 AM  Thanks to Caius' suggestion I started looking at the Barcelo chain and we (including our 2 kids) are staying at the Barcelo Colonial Beach.   I can hardly wait! 

I am SO jealous!!! Since you're staying at the Barcelo you may find this forum useful. Tons of great info here about the resort plus stuff around the area...

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/forum/index.php

2008-09-17 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1678210

User image

Expert
Toronto
squishybelly - 2008-09-16 5:11 PM

Thanks Caius - but I wouldn't be me if I didn't ask additional questions.

1)  How long should you rely on base training, whereby the vast majority of your work is done in the lower HR's?

2)  How long before the first Tri next season (let's say June) should you start to include those intensity sessions - or do you do them throughout the entire winter?

And I fully agree with the barebones reasoning - train faster to race faster.  But I've seen so many posts saying train in Z2 to get faster.  So very confusing.

Yeah, yeah, keep asking questions. They're good questions and make me think. I like 'em. However, what I'm realizing is that I don't have a clear cut answer for you.

I've seen plans with specific traing that start anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks before the A race. That is 6-12 weeks of intensity and everything else is base. I guess it depends on the distance of the race that you're training for (i.e. you wouldn't treat a Sprint and an Ironman in the same way) and the amount of base fitness that you have.

Of course that's not to say that you wouldn't do any speedwork sessions during your base period. Of course you would; say once per week in each sport. It's just that during the build phase you'd to do the specific training more than once per week.

So during base, every session is a nice and easy session with one shortish interval session in each sport per week. During the build/peak phase where you focus on specific training there is no base training. Everything is at intensity with easy session in between to allow for recovery.

Post this question to the BT massive. There are some great folks out there with excellent advice - JonnyKay, Amiine and others come to mind.

2008-09-17 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1679318

User image

Elite
Ontario

So during base, every session is a nice and easy session with one shortish interval session in each sport per week. During the build/peak phase where you focus on specific training there is no base training. Everything is at intensity with easy session in between to allow for recovery.

Now I don't plan to train for an ironman anytime soon, but for you - would your intensity training have only stayed in zone 2-3 while you geared up for Placid (assuming these were your target zones for the race)?

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by squishybelly 2008-09-17 12:28 PM
2008-09-17 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
I hate to harp on the 2x Oly plan... but in each week, in each discipline, I have a long day and a short day for that discipline.  My short days, I do race-pace or semi-race pace (except during the winter).  On my long days, I think of it as more building base miles/yards.  As I build towards my peak, my workouts get shorter and more intense.  The training plan includes these short workouts near the peak, but it is up to you to make them intense.  The taper is included in there too.
2008-09-17 5:01 PM
in reply to: #1679269

User image

Extreme Veteran
caius - 2008-09-17 8:14 AM

tracyhmcd - 2008-09-17 9:35 AM  Thanks to Caius' suggestion I started looking at the Barcelo chain and we (including our 2 kids) are staying at the Barcelo Colonial Beach.   I can hardly wait! 

I am SO jealous!!! Since you're staying at the Barcelo you may find this forum useful. Tons of great info here about the resort plus stuff around the area...

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/forum/index.php

Thanks  - we look forward to checking out the site!  Muchas gracias

2008-09-18 12:40 AM
in reply to: #1677915

Veteran
Idaho

Great training advise Caius. that's just what I needed, it answered many of my questions for winter training.

So if my first sprint will be in June of next year how long do I need to stay in the first part of the plan or endurance base  before moving on?  I really need to build strength and endurance in my running it's by far my weaket point.  I didn't follow much of a plan this year for training , I know it will be helpful to do that this year.

Anyone racing this weekend at all?

2008-09-18 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hi All,

Squish, I hope the new edition to your family is here by now and everyone is doing great!

Great info on winter maintenance!

This summer I really wasn't on a "plan" and just did workouts based on free time. The upcoming races were plenty of motivation to get the workouts in. Now with the racing season coming to a close, I'm finding it difficult to get out of bed and get the workouts in! I'm looking forward to getting on a structured plan for motivational purposes as well as to make sure I don't lose too much fitness over the winter. I will definately try to stay on a structured training plan next season as well, as I'm sure it will certainly improve my performances. My off season goals will be to imrove power on the bike by hitting the weight room as well as continuing on building up my running endurance aiming to possibly attempt a full marathon in the spring.

Probably the last Tri of the season for me coming up this sunday, a sprint. Night time temps here are dipping into the high 40's ( ~9C) which is not helping my excitement over the OWS!

Tim

2008-09-19 12:50 AM
in reply to: #1681960

Veteran
Idaho

Good luck on your race this weekend Tim !

2008-09-19 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was suppose to do a nice light run tonight, prepping for my tri this weekend. Well a very crappy week at work ended with a very crappy day! When I got home I felt tired, run down, and brain dead and I was in a bad mood to boot! I forced myself out the door just to get the run out of the way. At first my feet felt like bricks and I was laboring right away. The farther I ran though, the better I felt! I started going faster and faster. My normal route ends with an uphill run of about a quarter mile and I sprinted up it as fast as I could. I felt all my stress and worry get left behind in my dust, while ahead of me was clear, fresh air, a beautiful sunset and the beginning of what I think will be a fantastic weekend! As I cooled down I felt alive with my heart pounding in my chest and felt lucky for all I have. Geez, I love this sport!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!
2008-09-19 7:59 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Just a quick update for all to say that our new addition arrived at 12:15am Thursday.  Addison was born at home (which was planned) weighing in at 8 lbs 12 ounzes.  Family is all doing really well, and we're all super excited that she's finally here.

Here's a pic with her big brother.

Good luck with the weekend everyone.

(PICT0024.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
PICT0024.JPG (17KB - 20 downloads)
2008-09-19 11:41 PM
in reply to: #1685380

Veteran
Idaho

Congratulations on the new arrival to the family !! Glad everyone is doing well !! Love the new picture too

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Caius's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38