BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-05-07 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2135016

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL
mammatri's - 2009-05-06 4:54 PM Thanks, Stacie. I feel better already.

SO GLAD.

HAPPY TRNG TODAY!
stacieb

2009-05-07 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2069346

User image

Champion
where'd everybody go?

either out trng.

or on this months challenge threads.

LOL.

id rather be out having a MASSAGE at this point.  OI.  i need one BAD!

HAVE A HAPPY EVERYONE!
stacieb
2009-05-07 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2132173

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: ick
Manatees - isn't it amazing how much snot our body manufactures when we are sick?!? ... WHERE does all this stuff come from?

Allergies - or maybe a cold ... I'm spending the day laying on my couch reading, blowing my nose and sneezing. ;-)

I've swapped next week's planned recovery week with this week ... this week is apparently destined to be recovery.
All is well .... days spent on the couch are sometimes just what we need.

I just feel sorry for my dog - I don't have the energy to walk him. ;-(
2009-05-07 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: update and cadence
I have had a hard time finding the time to post much this week.   We are moving cattle to summer pasture, so between that, homeschooling, ranch finances, kid's track meets and training, I haven't had the brain power to post anything very intelligent!   I have kept up with my training log, but that is about it.

I had hoped to get to the bike shop today and get my new Specialized Riata shoes and pedals put on, but doesn't look like that will happen until next week.   Have to haul cattle this afternoon, but hope to get a bike ride in after that.   Had the same plan yesterday and it didn't work out, but got in a good run during which the concept of cadence actually clicked and worked!

Beth - (btw, kudos to you on the great run this week!) you had asked me to share what I found out about cadence and although Wendy (the Tri coach) hasn't answered me yet, there is something about it in Chi Running.   He says this:

Once I began to study the physics of efficiency, I realized that I was doing it (cadence) all backward.  Instead of having my cadence go faster as I picked up speed, it felt easier to let it stay the same and lengthen my stride as I ran faster.  By doing this, my body got used to always running at the same cadence no matter what the speed.

One of the most common and significant problems I see in runners is too long a stride length when running slowly.   This is very inefficient and exhausting to the body.  If your cadence is slower than 85 strides/min, your feet stay in contact with the ground longer, which means that your legs are supporing your body weight for a longer period of time.  Conversely, if your cadence is over 85 strides/min, you'll spend significantly less time on your feet, saving energy.

He (D. Dreyer) then goes on to equate running cadence with cycling cadence and that they should basically be the same, 85-90rpm.

Well, I don't understand it all yet and I was only able to get mine to 85rpm last night, but there was something different about it.   I was more relaxed - which is, of course, another Chi Running thing - legs, arms relaxed, running is driven by the core rather than the legs.   Though he says he doesn't like techie gadgets he does recommend buying an inexpensive metronome and setting it for 90, then learning to run to that beat.   Once your body/mind gets used to that cadence, he says it is nothing to speed up or slow down keeping the same cadence  - rather like shifting gears on a bike.  
2009-05-07 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Utah

Just a quick drive by post. I had a lovely breakfast with my parents today, and then my mom and i went shopping for a dress for my daughter for her instrumental band concert at school tonight. We found some cute ones, which is good since she only gave me 24 hours notice, and she wants to go pick it out herself! (So we went and did the legwork to find some she can look at after school). Just got home and I feel like I could VERY easily go to sleep right here on the couch. So, without further ado, I am heading to the gym to hop on the treadmill, where I can closely monitor my speed, and hopefully avoid asthma attacks spurred on by all the blooming trees in my area. (Really I just want to be somewhere with both a fan and a TV while I run LOL). 

2009-05-07 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2136635

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: ick
SpiritFire - 2009-05-07 12:19 PM Manatees - isn't it amazing how much snot our body manufactures when we are sick?!? ... WHERE does all this stuff come from? Allergies - or maybe a cold ... I'm spending the day laying on my couch reading, blowing my nose and sneezing. ;-) I've swapped next week's planned recovery week with this week ... this week is apparently destined to be recovery. All is well .... days spent on the couch are sometimes just what we need. I just feel sorry for my dog - I don't have the energy to walk him. ;-(

TR.  you got that right.

rest well.  recover quickly.

and yes, where does ALL that snot get stored? 

i used to think that when my kids were sick.....

stacieb

2009-05-07 1:50 PM

User image

Champion

^^^^^^ SNOT TOPpage.

2009-05-07 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
AFTERNOON MANATEES.

PSA:  RACING SADDLES DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT FIT A WOMEN'S ANATOMY. 

oi me.

i realized now why the damn seat hurt me SO much.  the narrowest part of the seat was jammin' up in my you know where. [TMI]   SWITCHING IT OUT ASAP.

46 min swim, 58 min run.  SPLENDID TRAINING SESSION TODAY.  felt a little on the sluggish side of things, but i made it through Ok.

amping up for the GROUP THREE HOUR TOUR on Saturday.  [KEEPIN MY EYES PEELED FOR GILLIGAN] 

tomorrows a rest day for me.  can we all say YEAH? 

YEAH!

headin to the LBS to swap out my seat and get a shorter stem.  should be ride/road-ready!!!  weee heeeee.

then headin' to REI for some cool bike schwag - a patch kit, tire levers, new road bike shoes - and show off my new ride to master tech all around way cool bike dude w the dreds down his back Jordan.

wish i could have been ridin' today.  love me my new bike.

HAPPY HAPPY!
stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-05-07 1:59 PM
2009-05-07 6:32 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Hi Manatees!

I have excellent news--please refer to http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=158106&posts=7#M2137518

And these goodies are to be shared with all of you (of course I talked to Hillary about the Manatees! She thinks you are awesome!)

I'll put a list (it'll be long!) of what all is in there and whatever you want, you can have. You can PM me your addresses if you want something ...
2009-05-07 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2137534

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
TriAya - 2009-05-07 4:32 PM

Hi Manatees!

I have excellent news--please refer to http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=158106&posts=7#M2137518

And these goodies are to be shared with all of you (of course I talked to Hillary about the Manatees! She thinks you are awesome!)

I'll put a list (it'll be long!) of what all is in there and whatever you want, you can have. You can PM me your addresses if you want something ...

VERY Cool!
That's awesome ... I for sure want something, just to increase my collection ... I have this belief that by training with/in something a pro has used, I will get faster and stronger just by osmosis. ;-)

Melanie McQuaid (xterra champ) lives a few blocks from me - and my city is a triathlon mecca so everyone knows everyone anyway ... she has a "drink red wine with my friends and purge old sponsors" party every year - gets rid of all her old stuff ... I have one of her helmets and quite a few pieces of clothing, a tri suit, I can't remember what else ... yet I can't help but notice that I'm still not faster or stronger. LOL.

PS: Yanti you are so NOT Michael Jordon in comparison. ;-)
2009-05-08 7:24 AM

User image

Champion
TriAya - 2009-05-07 6:32 PM Hi Manatees!

YANTI.  so good of you to share. 

id be jonesin' on some of the stuff, even from the brief list you had on the post via the link.

will be waitin' on the list.  will you post it on your log or on a thread somewheres?

stacieb

2009-05-08 7:26 AM

User image

Champion

REST DAY FOR ME.  weee heeeee!

headin to the chiropractors to pick up my levelers.  fingers crossed they help my feetsies.

then to the LBS for some final fit tweaking.

then to REI to purchase some bike schwag for my group ride tomorrow and to show off me bike.

a GRAND DAY!
stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-05-08 7:45 AM
2009-05-08 9:14 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-08 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2132181

lastcall2003 - 2009-05-06 2:14 PM As for me, I'm continuing to make good prgress on the run

yesterday i actually ran a mile in 10:32, which is a huge accomplishment for me!

Sweeet! I always have trouble breaking 11m miles and I know that 10 must feel awesome

Sorry about your injury, hopefully nothing ice and rest can't fix!
2009-05-08 10:29 AM

TriAya - 2009-05-08 5:32 PM Hi Manatees!

OH wow!! Count me in......Surprised

UPDATE: Another appt on my quest to actually see a DR in reference to my knee. Today I saw a PA, and he's pretty sure it is a torn meniscus, with a little part sticking up and getting caught in the joint. Sounds like bad news, but I'm thankful it isn't a ligament.

Ortho will "review" my case and see if they'll take me. If not, my care pretty much comes to an end and I spend my days doing PT and popping Motrin. If they accept me, I go on and MRI wait list that is currently at July. Telling these ppl I have an Aug 2nd triathlon has not given them one iota of pity for my case. BOO.

I guess I'll just be swimming and stationary biking my heart out all summer and playing the waiting game.  I feel like I'm losing my mind!!!! Thanks for listening.

Lauren
2009-05-08 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2137548

Master
Victoria, BC
SpiritFire - 2009-05-07 4:44 PM

TriAya - 2009-05-07 4:32 PM

Hi Manatees!

PS: Yanti you are so NOT Michael Jordon in comparison. ;-)

Oh dear - for some reason this caught my eye as I was scrolling down the page - and it definately didn't come out right. ;-(
I meant to say that you are YOU and comparing yourself as a weekend warrior v.s. Michael Jordon is wrong - you are so much awesomer than both of them!
Please accept my apologies for lack of clarity - I blame all the snot that was collecting in my head yesterday.

2009-05-08 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2138688

Master
Victoria, BC
LaurenCO - 2009-05-08 8:29 AM

UPDATE: Another appt on my quest to actually see a DR in reference to my knee. Today I saw a PA, and he's pretty sure it is a torn meniscus, with a little part sticking up and getting caught in the joint. Sounds like bad news, but I'm thankful it isn't a ligament.

Ortho will "review" my case and see if they'll take me. If not, my care pretty much comes to an end and I spend my days doing PT and popping Motrin. If they accept me, I go on and MRI wait list that is currently at July. Telling these ppl I have an Aug 2nd triathlon has not given them one iota of pity for my case. BOO.

I guess I'll just be swimming and stationary biking my heart out all summer and playing the waiting game.  I feel like I'm losing my mind!!!! Thanks for listening.

Lauren

So sorry to hear this news Lauren. ;-(

Keep on them - don't let them push you aside ... in my own experience, it's so easy for overworked medical staff to see you as just another chart, just another number, and not see the person that's hurting/scared/sick ... staying in their face and making them see you are a HUMAN sometimes gets things done faster, or at least with a little more humanity.

Knees are tough. Knees scare me, cuz so much can go wrong so quickly.
2009-05-08 12:29 PM

Master
Vista, CA

Lauren - -So sorry about your knee. Keep after those medical people. Be your own advocate and I'll be sending good treatment healing vibes from California --

Stacie -- You are so funny! Thanks for keeping me smiling...and Yanti --I do believe one of the most generous people I've never met (but hope to one day). I'd love to have a trinket from your gifts if it works out.

hugs to ya'll..

Oh, DH took the day off and we're heading down to San Diego (45 minutes south) to ride from mission Bay up to Cabrillo Monument. It's a nice hill and a beautiful ride with much of it along the coast. Run tomorrow and more cycling with the girls on Sat early -- 6 bells so we can all get back and have Mother's Day. 

I'll check in later to see what everyone else has going on.

BIll -- How are you feeling??

2009-05-08 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2139016

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-08 1:08 PM

Veteran
El Dorado Hills, CA
Wow..that is so generous of you!!!  Thank you for sharing

I don't know if it's a cold or allergies or what but bleh I have something in my head..yuck

It's supposed to be beautiful out the next couple of days and I just wanna sleep. UGH

Bill.....did I see mention of SWIMMING???????  Get in the pool!!  lol

Carole 
2009-05-08 1:09 PM

Veteran
El Dorado Hills, CA

Lauren-

Fingers crossed it isn't a ligament....keep pushing them.  Sometimes it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease in the medical arena.

Carole

2009-05-08 3:21 PM

Champion
flying through.  gotta bolt, but wanted to say....

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE FEEL OF A PERFECTLY FITTED BIKE.  if i could live on this bike i would.  ahhhhhhhh.

all the final tweaks done, and feelin' fabulous.

AND, AND, AND.

you all (if you havent already) NEED to see the movie SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.

i watched it last night on Pay Per View.

oh my, EVEN BETTER than all the good reviews.

im a movie SNOB, and not easily impressed.

this movie was IMPRESSIVE.

AND

HAPPY MOM'S DAY TO ALL US MOMS AND MOMS TO BE AND MOM WANNABES and MOMS TRYIN'TOBES

MOMS ROCK!
stacieb
2009-05-08 3:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Lauren's knee
LaurenCO - 2009-05-08 11:29 AM

br />UPDATE: Another appt on my quest to actually see a DR in reference to my knee. Today I saw a PA, and he's pretty sure it is a torn meniscus, with a little part sticking up and getting caught in the joint. Sounds like bad news, but I'm thankful it isn't a ligament.

Lauren

Lauren - Sorry to hear you're still having trouble with the knee. If they're right about the meniscus it should be a much quicker recovery than a ligament. I had both my knees 'scoped' for meniscus tears on both sides of each knee and was back to running in a few weeks.

Art
2009-05-08 3:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Took off work today to work around the house. Since it has rained here for the last 10 days and it was sunny I thought I would work outside. Does 7 hours of weeding, digging and mulching count as a workout? I'm getting old, I had to take a nap.

Art
2009-05-08 4:31 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
Got home at 11pm last night from the last trailer load of cattle, then up at 5:15am to drive to a swim.   Got away with it because we needed more cattle vaccine!    Decided to do my first semi-brick, i.e. go for a quick bike ride after swimming.  I don't know if to be an official brick you have to ride in your swimsuit or not, but it was much to cold for that.   Anyway, rather than it being a semi-brick, I think it was a solid concrete wall!!! :p

I learned a lot of things this morning - like check the wind mph, eat something before you try to make the body work so hard, etc.   Took off down a nice freeway frontage road, working on proper gear changes, lots of hills...it was all going so well I thought I could go ahead and do 10 miles...turn around at about 5.25 and then reality struck!   40mph gusts, wind steady at 25+....just me, a bike, wind and no where to hide.    I pedaled a short distance, my HR climbed, I was exhausted and so I stopped and got off.  I stood there in the very cold wind and my mind started saying "I can't do this!  I can't make it back.  What should I do?  Is there anyone I can call?"    I know a few people in that small town, but not very well.   I thought of calling 911 (yes, luckily I had thought to keep my cell phone on me), but that seemed so embarrassing!  Around here they still put the weekly "police report" in the local newspaper....I could see the heading..."Crazed women picked up on S. Frontage Road". LOL    I started walking and decided to change the tape playing in my head...."I CAN do this!   I AM a Triathlete!   It is only 5+ miles!"    I rode on the downhills and as far uphill as I could stand, then got off and walked again.   I was truly amazed at how strong the wind was!   I had to pedal hard even on the downhill because if I stopped pedaling, the wind would bring me to a complete stop!   That is defying gravity!  150lbs on wheels should move forward when pointed downhill!!!  

Well, I did finally make it and I was never so glad to see my car.   I was beaming interiorly with pride though because I didn't give up.   My body was shaking from the exertion and lack of food, so I drove to the grocery store (needed family groceries anyway) got a protein bar and a gatorade and started eating them as I shopped.    I felt better but boy oh boy can I tell that I pushed my body too hard.   It will be awhile before I try cycling into that kind of wind!

So there is my story....and I'm stickin' to it!!

Well, they just got more cattle in...time to go back to the corral.

More later
Sharie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59