General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-07-23 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2999888

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread
runnerx - 2010-07-23 11:03 AM Big week? Hmmmmm....hadn't thought of that as I'm still ramping up. Although, I'll be in Lake Placid, so I will be getting in perhaps my longest ride tomorrow (70ish miles...hopefully), and while I'll get in a 13 miler for the run this weekend, I'll probably be doing another couple of 13's, or further, in the next couple weeks, as I'm sort of in my NYC Marathon training too.

I will be at IMLP too!  I am volunteering at the race and MAYBE signing up for next year....We will see!  Plan on riding long tomorrow and swimming a loop of the course if I can ever get out of work and start driving there!  I can't wait to get out of here!!  I am not sure how far I will get tonight, it all depends on when I can leave here.  If I would quit screwing around on this forum I could probably leave earlier, huh? 

Cheers!

Mandy

2010-07-23 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2999999

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Enoy LP you two!  I have a few friends doing it this year, one is on fantastic form and could find himself near (or with) a Kona slot...I can't WAIT for Sunday, I'll be glued to the computer. 

Have a great time out there, it should provide great motivation leading into the last 4 weeks of Timberman prep!
2010-07-24 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2463034

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
Looks like some good things are happening.

Mandy- I read your Timberman course preview on your blog. Thanks for the information. It sounds like you had a heckuva' workout. Don't forget, water is offered not only on the run, but also on the bike.

Brownie- You are an animal...I'm just sayin'.

I did close to 14 mi (13.87) in the rain this morning. It went pretty well, but my rt. Achilles was a little tender. Icing right now.

I'm riding either 60-80 mi tomorrow. I hope it's 80, but it depends on how I'm feeling and what the day holds.

Keep it up. You are all very inspiring.

Peace,
~Sam
2010-07-25 8:05 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

Had a great weekend in Laconia! Rode the course on Saturday and I think I have the nutrition plan worked out.  Did the course in 2:46, at my race pace, so that should be about where I will end up.  Maybe a little faster with the aero helmet?  Ran one loop of the run course this am, again at what I hope is my race pace.   I have done the race twice already, but its nice to get out for a little refresher, if you know what I mean.  It was warm out this weekend, but not as humid as race day was last year.  I have some unfinished business to take care off, mostly due to that humidity, but also because of the hill at miles 6 and 12. 

Brownie, Two weeks ago was my biggest volume week for the summer. This past week is a "rest"/race prep  week, and this coming week is high volume, but not as high as two weeks ago. Then I start taper. 

Hope everybody is feeling strong.  FOUR WEEKS LEFT!

2010-07-25 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3003689

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA

Nice, Mike...lots of bikes out there on Saturday, it was great to see!  I did 62 miles, which included 90% of the course at just under race pace, followed by a 5 mi brick run, also at just under race pace.  Bike was alright but my legs were pretty spent from the ride to the Cape on Thursday.  I did about 21 mph which is probably 1 mph under race pace with aero helmet, wheels and fresh legs.  Brick run went good, I went out too hard 7:30's), which I can't do on race day, but ended up settling into an 8 min/mi pace, which was comfortable. 

Today was a 10 mile easy run, did a pretty big hill climb three-quarters of the way through (White Oaks Road, for those who know the area) that was tough but I felt strong through the entire run. 

All in all a great weekend of training...I'm absolutely spent but I feel very confident about my goal time now.  And training in NH, on the wide open roads and great rolling hills, is so much fun.  Can't wait to get back up there in a few weeks!

Hope everyone had a good weekend of training!

2010-07-26 5:19 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
great weekend of training/volunteering at Placid. Definitely got my hills in. Put in a 76 miler on Saturday - 2x doing the climb from Wilmington to Placid with the wind in the face. That right there convinced me not to sign up for 2011. Hate that. Just miserable. Got in a couple swims too, but chose to forego the run as I was just beat from the volunteering and cycling.

But...nice to meet up with our thread's 2 future Ironmen.

2010-07-26 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Runnerx- Nice work. I rode 80 miles, but nothing like the hills of Lake Placid. I was pretty cooked. I did meet my goal of averaging 20 mph though.

My shoulder's sore. Badminten with the kids and neighbors...
My hope is that it's fine for tomorrow morning's swim.
2010-07-27 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi all - sounds like everyone's moving along nicely, great to see it and that folks had a good training weekend.

Sam I'm intrigued by this potential new rig you mentioned!

Brownie - great to hear your running legs are coming back to you!

I did the NJ State Olympic on Sunday, report below if anyone would like a read. I can summarize : 1500M non wetsuit swim in 87 degree water, 25.5 on a fast flat and hot course, and a brutal 10 K in 90 plus degrees which had casualties strewn all over the course. It was an achievement to finish in 1 piece. I'm not sure of the wisdom of doing an Olympic 4 weeks out from Timberman but I'll chalk it up to inexperience and it's 1 more Tri under my belt and I learned from this experience.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=219253

Cheers,
S
2010-07-27 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3006926

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Simon, great job toughing out the race, sounds like brutal conditions.  Most days a .9 mile non-wetsuit swim would be the toughest part of the race, but when it's 95 degrees you know you're in for some pain. 

I don't think an OLY 4 weeks out is a bad thing at all, I actually have one myself this weekend (3 weeks out).  As long as it's run as a 'C' priority race (i.e. training goes on as planned as the race is just done as though it's a hard brick session) then you're just giving yourself a real good, hard, and race-paced workout.  In fact, I have the OLY this weekend, then another 2.5 hour ride at race pace / 40 minute brick tempo run in two weekends--8/7; it'll be the only 'hard' workout of the week and the last real difficult session before the race, but it's good to keep intensity up as you slowly back off on volume the last 3-4 weeks. 

Anyway, great race, way to tough it out in those conditions!
2010-07-27 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3005804

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
runnerx - 2010-07-26 6:19 PM great weekend of training/volunteering at Placid. Definitely got my hills in. Put in a 76 miler on Saturday - 2x doing the climb from Wilmington to Placid with the wind in the face. That right there convinced me not to sign up for 2011. Hate that. Just miserable. Got in a couple swims too, but chose to forego the run as I was just beat from the volunteering and cycling. But...nice to meet up with our thread's 2 future Ironmen.

Wally! So great to meet you!  Looking forward to seeing you at Timberman! 

AND you might will hear from me with a few questions about this race I am doing next year....    WOOOOOOOO

AND our aid station DID have chicken broth.  I made them heat it up when I got there because you had mentioned it and it was a big hit.  SO you helped out some folks yesterday indirectly!

Cheers!
Mandy
2010-07-27 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3008076

User image

Master
New Jersey
manfarr1974 - 2010-07-27 3:41 PM

runnerx - 2010-07-26 6:19 PM great weekend of training/volunteering at Placid. Definitely got my hills in. Put in a 76 miler on Saturday - 2x doing the climb from Wilmington to Placid with the wind in the face. That right there convinced me not to sign up for 2011. Hate that. Just miserable. Got in a couple swims too, but chose to forego the run as I was just beat from the volunteering and cycling. But...nice to meet up with our thread's 2 future Ironmen.

Wally! So great to meet you!  Looking forward to seeing you at Timberman! 

AND you might will hear from me with a few questions about this race I am doing next year....    WOOOOOOOO

AND our aid station DID have chicken broth.  I made them heat it up when I got there because you had mentioned it and it was a big hit.  SO you helped out some folks yesterday indirectly!

Cheers!
Mandy

There ya go! Future Ironman #1 reporting in!! Waiting for our second idiot...I mean inspired athlete...to report in.

In all honesty, I felt a little like I was missing out on something by leaving Placid without signing up for next year. Have to keep reminding myself it was the right decision. Weird with triathlon how you really have to plan 1-2 years in advance. I barely know what I'm doing tomorrow!

2010-07-28 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Simon- Just read your race report. Great effort. Getting through that swim is good for confidence, the bike pr is excellent, gutting out the run showed grit, and the use of the word "anti-clockwise" in your course description is funny. As far as the new rig...well, here's the next bit I'll provide: I went to what I consider to be the best bike shop in Michigan and spent three hours with the most precision-minded bike fitter I've ever experienced. The bike I was looking at (Specialized Transition, Expert; size L) is not going to cut it. I could have ordered the 2011, size XL, but there were good reasons why not to do that. More to come later this week.
Although my next bike will not likely be ready by Timberman, my Litespeed will be for sale by the end of August.
Oh! I agree with Brownie, your Olympic distance will not be detrimental to your Timberman. In fact, you have already gained confidence and yet another triathlon experience. Good stuff. I have a sprint distance event next weekend still.

Mandy- In for Lake Placid 2011! Good for you!

My shoulder's good again. Some icing did the trick. ...darn badminten.  Swam 1.2 mi yesterday with my wife and 2 year-old along in a kayak. They tried to warn me, but couldn't get my attention fast enough before I ended up being tangled up with a labrador that swam out to greet me. I yelled, "Ahhhhhhh!" Then I looked up to see that I wasn't being attacked by a shark, giant squid, a gator, the Lockness Monster, a rabid turtle, or ______________________ (insert other unreasonable, irrational choice here).

This morning's run went well. It was a progressive 4 mile run with my recently acquired Pearl Izumi, Float III's.  7:19, 6:26, 5:58, 5:36 (25:20). The shoes felt good, but they're going to have to go back into the box for now.

It wasn't my intent to turn this post into my personal blog, but there it is.

Peace.
2010-07-28 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Brownie & Sam - thx for reading the report and your kind & supportive words. I'm still feeling physically mentally exhausted three days later. I just about managed a thirty minute recovery swim yesterday, more pool time today I think.  

Now that I've had a couple of days to reflect on the effort I'm starting to appreciate the NJ Olympic race more as a very solid workout overall, and definitely a confidence builder on the swim. It's funny how every race seems to have some different challenge that presents itself.  Roll on Timberman!

Mandy - congrats on signing up. A bunch of folks from GC Tri Club in NJ volunteered in LP and were inspired to sign up. They had only good things to say about the event!
2010-07-28 9:48 AM

Veteran
New York
Hi there. 

This is my first entry in this thread because somehow I didn't find it until today. My wife and I will be doing Timberman as well. And i have to tell you, Im getting pretty nervous.

A little about me... I'm a big dude. 6'2" 310. I've lost almost 30 pounds in training this year but unfortunately I'm still built more like an offensive lineman than a linebacker. This is my second triathlon season. I did 4 sprints last year (3 in Ohio and Nantasket Beach last fall), and 3 races this year. I DNFed MA State Tri a couple weeks ago because we had missed training on our honeymoon the 2 weeks before, and I wasn't properly rested or hydrated. We've done almost all the race distances in training (except the full 13.1, but we've done plenty of those over the past couple years), and we're getting in a last few long rides the next two weeks. 

The nerves I have about the race come almost exclusively from the bike course. being a big dude I am not a natural climber. I havent read the entire 35 page thread yet (I will finish it tonight), but I'm concerned about the steep sections of climb on the road. The Timberman site says the two steep climbs are around 9%. Hell, those grades are the ones ProTour cyclists mark in black on their race charts as excessively hard. Are the are any lead in's to those sections that allow you to build up speed before hitting them?

I know I can do the swim in the time limit, and I know what I can do the 13.1 in, so it's just the bike Im nervous about. If it were flat, I wouldnt be concerned.

We're going this weekend to scout the course, but any advice (and frankly encouragement) will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben 
2010-07-28 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Ben-
First of all you are a stud! You are only in your second season and you are couragous enough to takle a 70.3!
Secondly, I think you'll be fine on the bike course. Remember, even though it may be a bear going up the hills, you still get to go down them.
Nerves are good, but don't let them rule you. If you know you can cover the swim and the run, then you are 2/3 of the way there already! Keep in mind, I've often found while driving a course that it seems harder than when I actually do it on race day.  Don't discount race energy.
You can do this!
BEN! BEN! BEN! BEN! BEN!
(Just some preliminary cheering for you).
Do it up Ben!
Oh, and welcome to the Timberman, Ironman 70.3 Thread. You will fine through your reading that it is full of wonderful people with great attitudes, positive spirit, and sense of humor.

Peace,
~Sam
2010-07-28 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3009606

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Wahoooooo

OMG I am so excited.

In less than a month we are jumping into (the hopefully cold enough for wetsuits) Lake Winnipesaukee!!!!

Must work.  Tonight run and swim!

2010-07-28 10:46 AM

Veteran
New York
Thanks Sam!

I think the nerves have been building for a couple weeks and kind of came to a head. Our bikes were stolen sunday night after we got home from the MA state tri. We went 4 days without riding in the heart of training season. Thankfully, the insurance company got us our check pretty quick, and my wife is back on the same bike (Trek 1.1 WSD), and I'm now riding a brand new Fuji Newest 1.0 which is a significant upgrade over my previous bike (A GMC Denali that I rebuilt with a better Shimano Sora groupset).  

The main thing that's been worrying me is that silly hill on the bike course. I know I can do the distance, but with the climbing I'm worried about doing the bike distance in under 4 hours. If I do that, I can finish the race without concern.  
2010-07-28 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3009736

User image

Veteran

techknowgn - 2010-07-28 11:46 AM Thanks Sam!

I think the nerves have been building for a couple weeks and kind of came to a head. Our bikes were stolen sunday night after we got home from the MA state tri. We went 4 days without riding in the heart of training season. Thankfully, the insurance company got us our check pretty quick, and my wife is back on the same bike (Trek 1.1 WSD), and I'm now riding a brand new Fuji Newest 1.0 which is a significant upgrade over my previous bike (A GMC Denali that I rebuilt with a better Shimano Sora groupset).  

The main thing that's been worrying me is that silly hill on the bike course. I know I can do the distance, but with the climbing I'm worried about doing the bike distance in under 4 hours. If I do that, I can finish the race without concern.  

Ben - I'm glad to join Sam in welcoming you to the thread! This will be my first 1/2 Iron also and I can definitely relate to being nervous, though in my case it's more about how I'll do over all 3 legs and if I can finish in a reasonably healthy state!

Regarding the hill concerns May  I suggest doing some hill repeats over the next couple of weeks (probably ease off 2 weeks before Timberman) just to build some confidence? You don't have to go fast, just spin as much as possible and keep your cadence high. I don't know too many folks here who like hills...but the more you do..etc. Glad to hear you got replacement bikes so soon after having them stolen.

2010-07-28 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3009777

Veteran
New York
sjwwebster - 2010-07-28 11:58 AM

Ben - I'm glad to join Sam in welcoming you to the thread! This will be my first 1/2 Iron also and I can definitely relate to being nervous, though in my case it's more about how I'll do over all 3 legs and if I can finish in a reasonably healthy state!

Regarding the hill concerns May  I suggest doing some hill repeats over the next couple of weeks (probably ease off 2 weeks before Timberman) just to build some confidence? You don't have to go fast, just spin as much as possible and keep your cadence high. I don't know too many folks here who like hills...but the more you do..etc. Glad to hear you got replacement bikes so soon after having them stolen.

I have to be honest. Im not too concerned with finishing healthy, I dont care if im not 100% healthy as long as I finish. And I'll definitely try to spin up the hills that are tougher, but I dont think Ive tackled anything close to 9% grade so I think we'll drive up there this weekend to take a look.
2010-07-28 12:51 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Welcome aboard Ben.

About your bikes being stolen...Wow! That sucks, but amazing you got such quick replacements.

Somewhere in this thread I think we posted a profile of the bike course, so you can see what you're in for. Not really that much time left before we race, so my suggestion is to find a comparable hill and just try to go up it a couple times per week in the middle of your rides. If nothing else, it'll build confidence. Don't forget that on race day, you'll have alot of adrenaline pumping, so you'll have that going for you.

And "finishing healthy" is a relative term. Obviously, you don't want to have a heart attack, but being spent after the race is fine. AFTER the race. You do need to go easy enough on the bike so you still have enough for a decent run later. So, spinning up the hill is preferable to mashing the gears just so you beat the schmoe next to you.

And congrats on the weight loss.

2010-07-28 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Hey Ben, welcome to the group!  Sorry to hear about the bikes, at least it turned into an upgrade, which is always nice.  

There are no 9% climbs at Timberman, don't go fretting over someting like that!  Here's the course profile, click the 'Show elevation' on the right to see how it breaks down.  As you'll see, there are a few early rollers, then a pretty big climb once you turn onto Rt. 107 at mile 10.  Next is a big drop off the top of the hill, followed by a 'flat' decent, followed by a false flat (i.e. it looks flat but you're actually on a slight uphill grade), then the climb again, then the rollers again.  So the middle 25-30 miles are quite flat, it's the start and finish that hurts.  The climb itself is approximately 6% over 1 mile; reasonably steep but not overly long.  It looks like the Fuji has a triple so you can run the 30/25 and just take the hill slow and steady.  I definitely agree with Simon, get some hill repeats in the next week and a half; every little bit counts.  And as Wally said, if you can find a similar hill (300-400 feet of climbing over ~1 mile) then all the better; just do a few rides of that.

Good luck with the rest of training, this is a great group of people to 'experience' the race prep with, lots of knowledge, lots of hard work and lots of fun! 

Ray

2010-07-28 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3010202

Veteran
New York
It actually says "there are hills with climbs of 3% up to 9%" directly on the Timberman site. Must be a mistake I guess.

Looking at the map my ride elevation that doesnt look like anything much different than Ive already been riding. Granted I didn't do that great a job of it at the MA State Tri, but that was one bad day. This is all doable. Especially that pretty flat spot. even with a slight false flat uphill on the way back I ought to be able to make up plenty of the time I'll give up on the hills.

Edited by techknowgn 2010-07-28 1:15 PM
2010-07-28 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
The grade itself probably hits 9% at points, I'm not denying that...but as an overall climb there's nothing that has a sustained 9%, I guess that's all I'm saying.

If you're anywhere around the Blue Hills that might be a good place to get some training in.  I'd say that climb is pretty similar to the one at Timberman.   

2010-07-28 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3010391

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey Ben!

I know I sent you a PM saying something similar but reading through this I will say having done the course that one hill is like 1% of the race - and it is good you are scouting - I bet once you see it you are going to say...Oh. That wasn't so bad. 

Like Wally said, take a mental note of where it is and drop down a few gears and spin up in the race.  No chasing schmos!   

PUMPED for the upcoming race.  Can't wait to see you guys in person.  I am the short one with the loud laugh.

Cheers,

Mandy

2010-07-29 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Ben, welcome aboard.  Here is a snapshot of the profile from maymyride.  Most of you have probably seen this so sorry for redundancy.  I suggest you map out some rides that you regularly do to compare the profile and train accordingly to give you a little confidence.
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/united-states/nh/+gilford/589124795542111324

Also, don't think it was mentioned earlier but make sure you have enough gearing.  I did it last year with a 53/39 and an 11/23 and it was a non-issue.  This year I'm on a new bike and will either be going 50/34 11/23 or 12/25  (not sure yet and depends if I run a disc and don't feel like swapping the cassette).  I'm pretty comfortable pushing a big gear though so if you want to make sure you can spin up it, you probably want to verify you have at least a 25 if not a 27 as your fallback in the back depending on what you have up front.  You'll be fine if you are preparing for it now.

Mandy, I'm in for Placid too.  8 people from my running group all got in.  Going to be an interesting spring training next year!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 41