BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-03-21 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2736919

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
barelfly - 2010-03-20 12:32 AM hi all! hope you have a great first weekend of spring!! like any other spring start in NM it will be 40* with snow! haha!

and a BIG good luck to Bill and the 1/2!

EDIT - so I wake up to 2.5" of snow and 32*....what kind of welcome to spring is that!!!

and now at 11:20am, it's 40* and the snow has melted already! hahaha - gotta love NM weather!

And in the meantime we were sunny and  62 here in New Hampshire and I actually waited until a little later in the day to run to avoid sunburn!

Crazy.  At least it melted quick for you.

2010-03-21 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Hello everyone,
One again... thanks for all the encouragement and inspires.  I'm very, very, very happy with how the half marathon went today.  I didn't hit my goal of 2 hours (partially because I had to stop to pee after the first mile) and, according to my Garmin, the course was a bit longer than 13.1 miles... I talked to a few other people I saw that had Garmins and they all said the same thing. But I'm psyched about my lap data and left everything out on the course.  Aside from mile 1, mile 13 was my fastest... LOVE IT! 
2h 06m 40s13.54 miles09m 21s/Mi

I'll write up the race report tonight or tomorrow, but wanted to check in.
2010-03-21 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Bill! That's fantastic! I am so glad the race went well for you - and you are really close to your goal. Did the nutrition work out (or did you regret not bringing more with you during the race?)...just what I needed to hear to get me amped up for my run today!

WOOOTTT!!
2010-03-21 2:10 PM

User image

NH
Great job Bill, way to finish strong.  Peeing after the first mile?  Is there a story behind that?  Laughing  But again, great job.  This group is off to tremendous start to the season.
2010-03-21 4:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Nice job Bill!  Way to do it LARGER.
2010-03-21 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2738419

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-03-21 12:53 PM Hello everyone,
One again... thanks for all the encouragement and inspires.  I'm very, very, very happy with how the half marathon went today.  I didn't hit my goal of 2 hours (partially because I had to stop to pee after the first mile) and, according to my Garmin, the course was a bit longer than 13.1 miles... I talked to a few other people I saw that had Garmins and they all said the same thing. But I'm psyched about my lap data and left everything out on the course.  Aside from mile 1, mile 13 was my fastest... LOVE IT! 

Nice work. What did you end up doing for nutrition?

2010-03-21 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2738840

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
aarondavidson - 2010-03-21 6:31 PM

billsorg - 2010-03-21 12:53 PM Hello everyone,

Nice work. What did you end up doing for nutrition?

Had my normal pre-race breakfast... Oatmeal, PB, banana and granola. Just prior to the race, drank a 16 oz water mixed with some Heed.  Then just ran.  Got a cup of water and a cup of gatorade at each aid station, which was about every 3-4 miles.
2010-03-21 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2739021

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
CONGRATS BILL!!!!!!

huge accomplishment - shows you were doing the work when you had some doubts a few weeks back!

again - congrats on the 13.1 + some!
2010-03-21 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
WA
billsorg - 2010-03-20 9:53 PM Hello everyone,

Way to ROCK IT Bill!!! Sometimes those Garmins might be off because you have to zig-zag around people which actually makes you run further.  Sorry to hear about the first mile pee.  I tend to need to use the restroom frequently too so I usually stop drinking water 45-60 minutes before a race, then of course I use the rest room before the race just in case.
2010-03-22 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2739321

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
RunRene - 2010-03-21 11:14 PM
billsorg - 2010-03-20 9:53 PM Hello everyone,

Way to ROCK IT Bill!!! Sometimes those Garmins might be off because you have to zig-zag around people which actually makes you run further.  Sorry to hear about the first mile pee.  I tend to need to use the restroom frequently too so I usually stop drinking water 45-60 minutes before a race, then of course I use the rest room before the race just in case.

I actually used it probably 10-15 minutes before the start of the race... but I was drinking a lot and had some pre-race jitters.  I thought once I got to running, the sensation would go away as it sometimes does, but it only got worse so I decided it was better to take a minute or two to fix the situation rather than be uncomfortable for the whole race.

I tried an ice bath when I got home, but that was just excruciating. I lasted maybe 3 or 4 minutes and had to get out.  I'm very sore today, (but it's a "good" sore).  Have a great day everyone!
2010-03-22 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Race report is now posted (for those interested) and I've attached the link below.  I got a little wordy on this one... I love reading race reports and enjoy the ones where lots of details are given, so I've decided to start doing that. 

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=200514

2010-03-22 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2739942

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Great race Bill!  Nice work!
2010-03-22 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2739942

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-03-22 11:07 AM Race report is now posted (for those interested) and I've attached the link below.  I got a little wordy on this one... I love reading race reports and enjoy the ones where lots of details are given, so I've decided to start doing that. 

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=200514

Great work, nice report.

2010-03-22 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Hello team... what are your thoughts on an ice bath following a long race or long training session?  How long do you need to soak in it to really get the effects?  I tried one for the first time yesterday and found it to be very unpleasant, to say the least.  I mean, it actually hurt.  I only lasted about 3-4 minutes, which I'm sure isn't enough time.  But I am majorly sore today... almost as sore as I was after my HIM.  Would a longer ice bath have greatly reduced or eliminated this soreness?
2010-03-22 2:54 PM

User image

NH
I'm not sure about the ice bath time.

After my long runs I use well water (we have wells up here in cow Hampshire so the water is pretty cold), but it's not really an ice bath.  I stay in about 10 minutes, and then elevate my legs for 10-15 minutes.  I also ice my knees and ankle for 15 minute at some point in the afternoon/evening.  I don't feel like they need it, but it's my plan and if life doesn't force me to skip it I do it.

I also try to take a walk or something similar in the evening, not to work out or anything but just to get some circulation in the legs.  This has worked great for me and I've had essentially no soreness the day after long runs.  Of course - you worked a LOT harder on that race than a typical long run.

I've heard if you aren't beat for two days after a half you didn't race hard enough, so you're fine I think!  Awesome race report too - thanks for the detail.

Edited by wbayek 2010-03-22 2:54 PM
2010-03-22 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2740608

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I'm sorry about your soreness Bill, I can't help on the ice bath question since I've never done one, but am curious as to the answer.

Question: Brick workouts - last two days I have done a bike/run brick and both times I came off the bike and started to run and my left thumb tingled and some strange feelings in my left arm.  This concerned me so I stopped my jog and walked until I could shake it off.  It seemed to come back slightly after I started running harder again, so I just walked it off again.  I also was trying to get into an aero position on the bike, so I am thinking (hoping?) that my bike position is wrong and I might be gripping the bike and putting too much pressure on my left hand/arm that is causing problems with circulation that is then more pronounced when I start running.  I've notice my heart rate is in the 140's at the start of the run. 

Is this something to be concerned about?  Anyone ever experience or heard of this?

2010-03-23 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
billsorg - 2010-03-22 2:35 AM Hello team... what are your thoughts on an ice bath following a long race or long training session?  How long do you need to soak in it to really get the effects?  I tried one for the first time yesterday and found it to be very unpleasant, to say the least.  I mean, it actually hurt.  I only lasted about 3-4 minutes, which I'm sure isn't enough time.  But I am majorly sore today... almost as sore as I was after my HIM.  Would a longer ice bath have greatly reduced or eliminated this soreness?

I tried the ice bath once...it was so painful that the dog came over to try to comfort me (because I kept saying...Oh! Ow! Not Good! Ow!)...I got out shortly thereafter. After that time, I have been using just cold water (Like Warren, we have a well so the water straight out of the ground is actually fairly cold)...that seems to work and is a little more tolerable. Does it help? I don't know. I think if you are just kind to yourself after a hard workout (or a great race), you will recover as you can. I decided that the pain of the ice bath wasn't worth it.

Now - about Matt's biking/run numbness - do you have the same numbness/tinglyness after you get off the bike every time or is it only when you go to run? Have you noticed any numbness/pain on the left side during the bike rides? Have you tried getting out of aero during the bike ride a few times (to get the blood circulating)? I've got nothing specific in mind...but it might help to nail down the specific symptoms. You might think about getting the bike fitted to see if it helps.
2010-03-23 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2742003

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Thanks, that gives me some ideas to try different positions and see if it continues. It just started to feel this way in the last two brick workouts (sunday and monday).  I don't recall having it before with any rides and I might have done a couple rides with some aero position time, but these were probably the longest in that position. I am getting my bike fitted this week and will put on my new aero bars.  I haven't used aero bars yet, I just lean down with my hands on top holding the brake or I lean down into the drop bars (just starting trying this).
2010-03-23 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2741578

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
mdfahy - 2010-03-22 9:05 PM I'm sorry about your soreness Bill, I can't help on the ice bath question since I've never done one, but am curious as to the answer.

Question: Brick workouts - last two days I have done a bike/run brick and both times I came off the bike and started to run and my left thumb tingled and some strange feelings in my left arm.  This concerned me so I stopped my jog and walked until I could shake it off.  It seemed to come back slightly after I started running harder again, so I just walked it off again.  I also was trying to get into an aero position on the bike, so I am thinking (hoping?) that my bike position is wrong and I might be gripping the bike and putting too much pressure on my left hand/arm that is causing problems with circulation that is then more pronounced when I start running.  I've notice my heart rate is in the 140's at the start of the run. 

Is this something to be concerned about?  Anyone ever experience or heard of this?

My VERY unqualified opinion...  It sounds like it may be caused by the way you are gripping the bike when not in an aero position since you mentioned your thumb.
2010-03-23 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2742308

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I've found several internet postings of people complaining about the same thing and has to do with how they are holding onto the bike.  I'll try different positions, get my bike fit tomorrow and hope it goes away.
2010-03-23 5:30 PM
in reply to: #2743588

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
mdfahy - 2010-03-23 2:28 PM I've found several internet postings of people complaining about the same thing and has to do with how they are holding onto the bike.  I'll try different positions, get my bike fit tomorrow and hope it goes away.

do you where gloves with any type of padding on the palm? There's a nerve that runs below the thumb, and it could be that you are hitting it just right - and once you are done with riding, it kicks? I don't remember what the nerve is, but it is a problem for a many riders.

I wear some Specialized BG gloves that have some gel padding throughout the palm to help with this. It could be something to look into?

2010-03-23 8:19 PM

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-03-22 2:35 PM Hello team... what are your thoughts on an ice bath following a long race or long training session?  How long do you need to soak in it to really get the effects?  I tried one for the first time yesterday and found it to be very unpleasant, to say the least.  I mean, it actually hurt.  I only lasted about 3-4 minutes, which I'm sure isn't enough time.  But I am majorly sore today... almost as sore as I was after my HIM.  Would a longer ice bath have greatly reduced or eliminated this soreness?

It could have reduced but probably not eliminated. How much ice? During the summer I use more ice, but now I stay in until the ice melts.

2010-03-23 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2742040

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-03-23 8:25 AM Thanks, that gives me some ideas to try different positions and see if it continues. It just started to feel this way in the last two brick workouts (sunday and monday).  I don't recall having it before with any rides and I might have done a couple rides with some aero position time, but these were probably the longest in that position. I am getting my bike fitted this week and will put on my new aero bars.  I haven't used aero bars yet, I just lean down with my hands on top holding the brake or I lean down into the drop bars (just starting trying this).

Weird that it just started. I would have said position. I had not heard about the nerve in the hand but that could make sense. Let us know how it goes.

2010-03-23 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2742003

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-03-23 8:08 AM
billsorg - 2010-03-22 2:35 AM Hello team... what are your thoughts on an ice bath following a long race or long training session?  How long do you need to soak in it to really get the effects?  I tried one for the first time yesterday and found it to be very unpleasant, to say the least.  I mean, it actually hurt.  I only lasted about 3-4 minutes, which I'm sure isn't enough time.  But I am majorly sore today... almost as sore as I was after my HIM.  Would a longer ice bath have greatly reduced or eliminated this soreness?

I tried the ice bath once...it was so painful that the dog came over to try to comfort me (because I kept saying...Oh! Ow! Not Good! Ow!)...I got out shortly thereafter. After that time, I have been using just cold water (Like Warren, we have a well so the water straight out of the ground is actually fairly cold)...that seems to work and is a little more tolerable. Does it help? I don't know. I think if you are just kind to yourself after a hard workout (or a great race), you will recover as you can. I decided that the pain of the ice bath wasn't worth it.

Now - about Matt's biking/run numbness - do you have the same numbness/tinglyness after you get off the bike every time or is it only when you go to run? Have you noticed any numbness/pain on the left side during the bike rides? Have you tried getting out of aero during the bike ride a few times (to get the blood circulating)? I've got nothing specific in mind...but it might help to nail down the specific symptoms. You might think about getting the bike fitted to see if it helps.

If you fill the tub with cold water, get in and then dump the ice, the adjustment tends to be easier. Overtime I think I have just gotten used to it. I last way to long in the ocean now. Coldness sets in after I take a shower.

2010-03-23 9:52 PM

User image

New user

Bill, way to go with the 1/2 marathon,

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76