BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-02-02 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4024363

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
oriolepwr - 2012-02-01 8:03 PM

Today I registered for my 70.3 for this year, as well as the Chicago Marathon!    ouch! 

The race director has spoken (DW)   My 70.3 is Door County on July 22.  

Door County Video!

So with the Illinois marathon in late April,  Door county in July, Chicago Mary in October and  the JFK ultra in November,  I now have my "A" races set in stone.    can't register for JFK until May.  By then hopefully I will have a better idea on if I can handle it or not.  I'm thinking I  CAN!  hee hee.   

Lots of events in between these.   Can't wait for race season which will kick off for me with the 8K Shamrock Shuffle in March!  My DW Eileen is also running it.   We will have a blast hanging with Q and her family!       Getting psyched up for the season as you can tell.   It seems so long ago that I was in race mode. 

We are totally looking forward to having you and the girls come down for a visit. I haven't told Katherine yet that M&A are coming to spend the night. She is going to be so excited. How am I going to top the pop rocks from last time?

I was sort of thinking of signing up for SS, and hoping I would get cleared to run in time, but that just seemed stupid. Hard not to race though. I actually wish we could do door county instead but we have the hook up in Racine, so...Racine it is.

You've got me thinking about an ultra. Darn it, knock that off...

2012-02-02 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3942395

Rochester
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
So as I posted the other day I can finally run again after clearance from the Dr. Well, basically have to start the whole c25k over again however when I ran today I did it at a 6.0 on the dreadmill. That is a new best for me. Super stoked about it. I mean I know that I will not be on a podium anytime soon unless I race only like 4 people and I will hope one of them are like super old but I can dream. IM kona I will not be there this year but maybe next year. Lol!
2012-02-02 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran

Q and Dave, I swam today and tried the fist drill, wow, what a difference! Really makes you aware of how best to power through the stroke! After a couple of laps of that drill, I swam 50y regular and beat my best 50y time! So cool

Thanks!!!

2012-02-02 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4025145

User image

Veteran

peterflagg - 2012-02-02 10:23 AM So as I posted the other day I can finally run again after clearance from the Dr. Well, basically have to start the whole c25k over again however when I ran today I did it at a 6.0 on the dreadmill. That is a new best for me. Super stoked about it. I mean I know that I will not be on a podium anytime soon unless I race only like 4 people and I will hope one of them are like super old but I can dream. IM kona I will not be there this year but maybe next year. Lol!

LOL, you can race more than 4 people, but you only want four people in your age group! Wink

That makes me think of the 1/2 half marathon I did, Kiawah Island, the 1/2 was one loop and the full was two....I'm trucking along thinking I'm doing pretty good, about a mile from the finish line and then I got passed by the soon-to-be winner of the marathon! LOL guess I wasn't the speed demon I thought I was

2012-02-02 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4024506

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
oriolepwr - 2012-02-01 9:24 PM
mjh1975 - 2012-02-01 9:04 PM

Today I registered for my 70.3 for this year, as well as the Chicago Marathon!    ouch! 

Door County Video!

So with the Illinois marathon in late April,  Door county in July, Chicago Mary in October and  the JFK ultra in November,  I now have my "A" races set in stone.    can't register for JFK until May.  By then hopefully I will have a better idea on if I can handle it or not.  I'm thinking I  CAN!  hee hee.   

Lots of events in between these.   Can't wait for race season which will kick off for me with the 8K Shamrock Shuffle in March!  My DW Eileen is also running it.   We will have a blast hanging with Q and her family!       Getting psyched up for the season as you can tell.   It seems so long ago that I was in race mode. 

Door County looks awsome!  HAve you done it before; I am still looking for a July Race.

Nope have not even been to Door County before ha!   Do triathlon and see the world!  hee hee     I think its a tough course.  Many people think its a top notch event.  I do think it will be a beautiful course.   But painful.      Come join us! 

I dont know about that one.  I think you need a passport to get that far north.....

2012-02-02 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4024898

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-02-02 7:47 AM

Door County Video!

We are totally looking forward to having you and the girls come down for a visit. I haven't told Katherine yet that M&A are coming to spend the night. She is going to be so excited. How am I going to top the pop rocks from last time?

I was sort of thinking of signing up for SS, and hoping I would get cleared to run in time, but that just seemed stupid. Hard not to race though. I actually wish we could do door county instead but we have the hook up in Racine, so...Racine it is.

Can't top the Pop rocks!  don't even try  lol   I'm going to find some kind of green beer for the occasion. 

I'm sure it was tough to not race.   Door County with our two families, would be awesome!  we could rent a house or something for the weekend.   Eileen is not going to race and could watch the kiddos.   

Want to do either PP or Bigfoot with you and Chris.     I'll race either one.   If PP  you guys stay here.    Otherwise we'll have fun in Lake Geneva!    Just let me know.  I'll wait to register.   Last year we stayed at Timber Ridge (water park) it worked out well.   

Ultra-  Ya it grows on you doesn't it?  at first the idea sounds crazy then hmmmm  then well maybe, then sign me up!!  ha    the JFK is the oldest ultra and is located it Maryland.  (near the Antietam battlefield-Me likey history) part of it is on the Appalachian trail  that part you take easy,  then there is a 26+ mile flat "canal" section    http://www.jfk50mile.org/History/Default.aspx   &nbs... their website:

Although open to the public, the JFK 50 Mile is in spirit a military race. It always has been and always will be. In 1963, the initial inspiration behind the event came from then President John F. Kennedy challenging his military officers to meet the requirements that Teddy Roosevelt had set for his own military officers at the dawn of the 20th Century. That Roosevelt requirement was for all military officers to be able to cover 50 miles on foot in 20 hours to maintain their commissions. When word got out about the "Kennedy Challenge", non-commissioned military personnel also wanted to take the test themselves as did certain robust members of the civilian population.

The portion of the course that goes through the Appalachian trail  is under threat.  The parks are saying they may not allow the race to be held on the trail after this year.

Right now the plan is to rent a house in the area (there are a few of us going )  do the race thing  then a mini vaca in Wash DC.    That is of course assuming no injury de-rails along the way.        Think about it.   of course the more you do, the more you will want to go. 

2012-02-02 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4025297

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mjh1975 - 2012-02-02 10:30 AM

Door County Video!

Door County looks awsome!  HAve you done it before; I am still looking for a July Race.

Nope have not even been to Door County before ha!   Do triathlon and see the world!  hee hee     I think its a tough course.  Many people think its a top notch event.  I do think it will be a beautiful course.   But painful.      Come join us! 

I dont know about that one.  I think you need a passport to get that far north.....

LOL!   You might be right about that!   I'll have to check mine to see if its still good. 

2012-02-02 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4025274

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ybeal - 2012-02-02 10:21 AM

Q and Dave, I swam today and tried the fist drill, wow, what a difference! Really makes you aware of how best to power through the stroke! After a couple of laps of that drill, I swam 50y regular and beat my best 50y time! So cool

Thanks!!!

Yvonne    Yes that drill really is an eye opener  I think.    Your whole arm needs to learn how to become "a paddle"  or you don't go anywhere  heh

2012-02-02 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4026126

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
oriolepwr - 2012-02-02 3:35 PM

Door County Video!

LOL!   You might be right about that!   I'll have to check mine to see if its still good. 

phew, Im glad you laughed at that one.  I was stressed a bit thinking you were a Packers fan in Chicagoian clothing. 

Pool time tonight for me; anyone else have big plans?

2012-02-02 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4026308

Rochester

phew, Im glad you laughed at that one.  I was stressed a bit thinking you were a Packers fan in Chicagoian clothing. 

I hope all of you are sitting down when you hear about my plans...I am working till 8am. Whew I know how to live on the wild side!

2012-02-02 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4025289

Rochester
Ybeal - 2012-02-02 11:26 AM

peterflagg - 2012-02-02 10:23 AM So as I posted the other day I can finally run again after clearance from the Dr. Well, basically have to start the whole c25k over again however when I ran today I did it at a 6.0 on the dreadmill. That is a new best for me. Super stoked about it. I mean I know that I will not be on a podium anytime soon unless I race only like 4 people and I will hope one of them are like super old but I can dream. IM kona I will not be there this year but maybe next year. Lol!

LOL, you can race more than 4 people, but you only want four people in your age group! Wink

That makes me think of the 1/2 half marathon I did, Kiawah Island, the 1/2 was one loop and the full was two....I'm trucking along thinking I'm doing pretty good, about a mile from the finish line and then I got passed by the soon-to-be winner of the marathon! LOL guess I wasn't the speed demon I thought I was

It would be nice to have only 4 total, I figured that would give me the best odds of just plan out winning the tri. I am going to start calling nursing homes next week to see if I can set up some challenges with the people that use walkers in their facility. LOL

2012-02-02 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4026533

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
peterflagg - 2012-02-02 7:25 PM

I hope all of you are sitting down when you hear about my plans...I am working till 8am. Whew I know how to live on the wild side!

Oh no, the dreaded night shift!!! Don't screw up your eating! I know how hard it is in the ER to resist the mass order of crappy food...DH works really hard to avoid it...

2012-02-02 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4026134

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-02-02 3:38 PM
Ybeal - 2012-02-02 10:21 AM

Thanks!!!

Yvonne    Yes that drill really is an eye opener  I think.    Your whole arm needs to learn how to become "a paddle"  or you don't go anywhere  heh

Yvonne, I always swim faster right after drilling! Not surprised! Congrats girlfriend!

2012-02-02 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4026100

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-02-02 3:28 PM

Door County Video!

Can't top the Pop rocks!  don't even try  lol   I'm going to find some kind of green beer for the occasion. 

I'm sure it was tough to not race.   Door County with our two families, would be awesome!  we could rent a house or something for the weekend.   Eileen is not going to race and could watch the kiddos.   

Want to do either PP or Bigfoot with you and Chris.     I'll race either one.   If PP  you guys stay here.    Otherwise we'll have fun in Lake Geneva!    Just let me know.  I'll wait to register.   Last year we stayed at Timber Ridge (water park) it worked out well.   

Ultra-  Ya it grows on you doesn't it?  at first the idea sounds crazy then hmmmm  then well maybe, then sign me up!!  ha    the JFK is the oldest ultra and is located it Maryland.  (near the Antietam battlefield-Me likey history) part of it is on the Appalachian trail  that part you take easy,  then there is a 26+ mile flat "canal" section    http://www.jfk50mile.org/History/Default.aspx   &nbs... their website:

Although open to the public, the JFK 50 Mile is in spirit a military race. It always has been and always will be. In 1963, the initial inspiration behind the event came from then President John F. Kennedy challenging his military officers to meet the requirements that Teddy Roosevelt had set for his own military officers at the dawn of the 20th Century. That Roosevelt requirement was for all military officers to be able to cover 50 miles on foot in 20 hours to maintain their commissions. When word got out about the "Kennedy Challenge", non-commissioned military personnel also wanted to take the test themselves as did certain robust members of the civilian population.

The portion of the course that goes through the Appalachian trail  is under threat.  The parks are saying they may not allow the race to be held on the trail after this year.

Right now the plan is to rent a house in the area (there are a few of us going )  do the race thing  then a mini vaca in Wash DC.    That is of course assuming no injury de-rails along the way.        Think about it.   of course the more you do, the more you will want to go. 

Dude, don't get too excited yet, but I'm lookin' at Chris who's lookin' kind of interested in Door County with the Lev's!!!!  More to follow! Working on BF/PP too...I think PP at your house is for sure a go, but maybe it would be more fun for everyone to go to LG? Hmm...

2012-02-02 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4025145

User image

Expert
Hammond
peterflagg - 2012-02-02 9:23 AM

So as I posted the other day I can finally run again after clearance from the Dr. Well, basically have to start the whole c25k over again however when I ran today I did it at a 6.0 on the dreadmill. That is a new best for me. Super stoked about it. I mean I know that I will not be on a podium anytime soon unless I race only like 4 people and I will hope one of them are like super old but I can dream. IM kona I will not be there this year but maybe next year. Lol!

Peter
That is awesome! 6.2 is my max and I can only do that pace by doing run/walk/run.
I see Kona in your future as well. And I am always right- just ask my husband- lol.
Shelly
2012-02-02 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4026660

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

fitmomma2010 - 2012-02-02 9:30 PM
peterflagg - 2012-02-02 9:23 AM So as I posted the other day I can finally run again after clearance from the Dr. Well, basically have to start the whole c25k over again however when I ran today I did it at a 6.0 on the dreadmill. That is a new best for me. Super stoked about it. I mean I know that I will not be on a podium anytime soon unless I race only like 4 people and I will hope one of them are like super old but I can dream. IM kona I will not be there this year but maybe next year. Lol!
Peter That is awesome! 6.2 is my max and I can only do that pace by doing run/walk/run. I see Kona in your future as well. And I am always right- just ask my husband- lol. Shelly

X2-That is awesome, congrats on the training PB! For the vast majority of us, the podium is probably not gonna happen so ultimately we're competing against ourselves. Celebrate when you push yourself beyond what you've previously accomplished and accept the new challenge you've created by raising the bar for yourself. Well done.

2012-02-02 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4026726

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sammeg - 2012-02-02 9:12 PM

fitmomma2010 - 2012-02-02 9:30 PM
peterflagg - 2012-02-02 9:23 AM So as I posted the other day I can finally run again after clearance from the Dr. Well, basically have to start the whole c25k over again however when I ran today I did it at a 6.0 on the dreadmill. That is a new best for me. Super stoked about it. I mean I know that I will not be on a podium anytime soon unless I race only like 4 people and I will hope one of them are like super old but I can dream. IM kona I will not be there this year but maybe next year. Lol!
Peter That is awesome! 6.2 is my max and I can only do that pace by doing run/walk/run. I see Kona in your future as well. And I am always right- just ask my husband- lol. Shelly

X2-That is awesome, congrats on the training PB! For the vast majority of us, the podium is probably not gonna happen so ultimately we're competing against ourselves. Celebrate when you push yourself beyond what you've previously accomplished and accept the new challenge you've created by raising the bar for yourself. Well done.

But, but, but, you know what, I like that you guys are thinking of the podium! It is totally badass! Keep thinking that way...

2012-02-03 3:28 AM
in reply to: #4026590

Rochester
quincyf - 2012-02-02 8:56 PM

Oh no, the dreaded night shift!!! Don't screw up your eating! I know how hard it is in the ER to resist the mass order of crappy food...DH works really hard to avoid it...

Q,

I always bring my food so never a worry about crappy food at night. Also, we have this huge candy dish that literally sits no more than 3 feet away from me, in fact I have to fill it all the time with candy that they bring in, and I NEVER eat any candy out of it. Haven't since Oct 2011.

2012-02-03 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4026917

User image

swam the length of the pool today a few times taking breaths every 4th stroke for the first time ever!  Cool Beans!   Sounds like a lot of progress is going on this board!
2012-02-03 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4027099

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

trei - 2012-02-03 7:37 AM swam the length of the pool today a few times taking breaths every 4th stroke for the first time ever!  Cool Beans!   Sounds like a lot of progress is going on this board!

Way to go Todd! A lot of swimming is mental...breath control in particular. Feels good to be able to do something new, doesn't it?

2012-02-03 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Ugghhh....I'm going stir crazy, I actually have the day off today but it's a rest day, I know I need it as my legs are very sore, but I can't stop thinking about all the training I could be doing!! My first sprint on March 10 is looming fast!

2012-02-03 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4027680

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ybeal - 2012-02-03 11:17 AMUgghhh....I'm going stir crazy, I actually have the day off today but it's a rest day, I know I need it as my legs are very sore, but I can't stop thinking about all the training I could be doing!! My first sprint on March 10 is looming fast!
Ha! I hear you on this. Ugh sometimes we just dont want to take a day off. Funny how that works. But you need it! Why not do a mini yoga session Or alot of stretching. Rocking the recoveries is important. Look at Q's tri list See what you still need stuff wise. Do you Know what you will wear? Fine tune some of those details today! But enjoy your time off
2012-02-03 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4026917

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
peterflagg - 2012-02-03 3:28 AM
quincyf - 2012-02-02 8:56 PM

Q,

I always bring my food so never a worry about crappy food at night. Also, we have this huge candy dish that literally sits no more than 3 feet away from me, in fact I have to fill it all the time with candy that they bring in, and I NEVER eat any candy out of it. Haven't since Oct 2011.

Pete- Smart. Bringing your food is the way to go. I always have a tuna pack with me. So no matter where i go i "can" make a smart choice. I dont always make that smart choice But it isnt for a lack of being prepared!
2012-02-03 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4026308

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mjh1975 - 2012-02-02 4:55 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-02 3:35 PM

Door County Video!

While i live like 7 miles from the border, and went to college in Wisconsin, i am no Packer fan Ugh the Packer backers drive me crazy!
2012-02-03 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4026636

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-02-02 8:14 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-02 3:28 PM

Door County Video!

Ultra-  Ya it grows on you doesn't it?  at first the idea sounds crazy then hmmmm  then well maybe, then sign me up!!  ha    the JFK is the oldest ultra and is located it Maryland.  (near the Antietam battlefield-Me likey history) part of it is on the Appalachian trail  that part you take easy,  then there is a 26+ mile flat "canal" section    http://www.jfk50mile.org/History/Default.aspx      

Fromtheir website:

Dude, don't get too excited yet, but I'm lookin' at Chris who's lookin' kind of interested in Door County with the Lev's!!!!  More to follow! Working on BF/PP too...I think PP at your house is for sure a go, but maybe it would be more fun for everyone to go to LG? Hmm...

Too late already excited! Ha! Door county is no PR kind of course by the looks of it. But a PR trip oh yeah!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44