BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-05-08 4:38 PM
in reply to: #2139570

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL
reid15 - 2009-05-08 1:33 PM

Took off work today to work around the house. Since it has rained here for the last 10 days and it was sunny I thought I would work outside. Does 7 hours of weeding, digging and mulching count as a workout? I'm getting old, I had to take a nap.

Art

Yes - it does. ;-)

I log my "hard" yard work .. not the easy stuff, but if I'm out there working up a sweat and digging and pulling and working hard - it sure does count! There's a yard work option for a reason!

2009-05-08 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2138454

wgraves7582 - 2009-05-09 8:14 AM

BTW - Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's out there!

Thanks Bill!

Carole, TR, Lynn,

Thanks for the well wishes about my knee.

Sharie,

I'm glad you managed to tough it out! A strong wind seem impossible to ride through.

As for not eating enough....I used to do "impromptu" runs and eventually learned to keep water bottles, Powerbars and GUs along with running apparel in my car so I was always ready for a run.

Art,

Yup...it counts!

Lauren

Edited by LaurenCO 2009-05-08 4:56 PM
2009-05-08 5:03 PM
in reply to: #2139712

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: Weekend plans?
So who's got rockin plans for the weekend? Anyone racing this weekend?

I am volunteering at a race Sunday morning ...
but it's sketchy right now if I can/should go ...

My dog was diagnosed with Geriatric Vestibular Disease today (basically his balance system is shot, he can't walk without falling over, he can't get off the floor, etc) ... the good news is it was NOT a stroke like I woke up thinking (and then immediately spent my entire morning crying, showed up at the vet all puffy and anxious) ... and this Vestibular thing is not life threatening, and he will recover in anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. BUT in the meantime - I have to nurse the poor old guy ... if he can't get up to go pee, can't move around the house ... well - you get the picture.

I'm off to the store to buy motion sickness pills as apparently they help ... and urinary pads, just in case. ;-)

It's actually a little funny, it's like he's drunk. Poor guy.
2009-05-08 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2069346

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hey, hey, hey!!!!!

Sharie - thank you so much for sharing the info on cadence (page 34 in case anyone missed it) - and wow what a day you had!

Amy - glad you had a nice visit with your parents, and found some cute dresses for your daughter

Stacie - cool beans on the new saddle!

Yanti - thanks for sharing your goodies with us - hehe that sounds funny

Bill - welcome back from Dallas!  i expect to hear reports of a swim this weekend

Lauren - so sorry to hear about the knee - follow the great advice from TR!

Lynn - have a great time in San Diego!!!

Carole - hope whatever is making you feel bleh goes away!

Art - that sounds like quite a workout!!!  it's rained a lot here as well

2009-05-09 7:44 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Okay girls! (Or guys--you never know--)

The stuff is all album'ed here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=12059&useralbum=57784

Whatever you want, you can have--just PM me with what you want and your address
2009-05-09 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2139674

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
ranchrunner - 2009-05-08 5:31 PM

Got home at 11pm last night from the last trailer load of cattle, then up at 5:15am to drive to a swim.   Got away with it because we needed more cattle vaccine!    Decided to do my first semi-brick, i.e. go for a quick bike ride after swimming.  I don't know if to be an official brick you have to ride in your swimsuit or not, but it was much to cold for that.   Anyway, rather than it being a semi-brick, I think it was a solid concrete wall!!! :p

I learned a lot of things this morning - like check the wind mph, eat something before you try to make the body work so hard, etc.   Took off down a nice freeway frontage road, working on proper gear changes, lots of hills...it was all going so well I thought I could go ahead and do 10 miles...turn around at about 5.25 and then reality struck!   40mph gusts, wind steady at 25+....just me, a bike, wind and no where to hide.    I pedaled a short distance, my HR climbed, I was exhausted and so I stopped and got off.  I stood there in the very cold wind and my mind started saying "I can't do this!  I can't make it back.  What should I do?  Is there anyone I can call?"    I know a few people in that small town, but not very well.   I thought of calling 911 (yes, luckily I had thought to keep my cell phone on me), but that seemed so embarrassing!  Around here they still put the weekly "police report" in the local newspaper....I could see the heading..."Crazed women picked up on S. Frontage Road". LOL    I started walking and decided to change the tape playing in my head...."I CAN do this!   I AM a Triathlete!   It is only 5+ miles!"    I rode on the downhills and as far uphill as I could stand, then got off and walked again.   I was truly amazed at how strong the wind was!   I had to pedal hard even on the downhill because if I stopped pedaling, the wind would bring me to a complete stop!   That is defying gravity!  150lbs on wheels should move forward when pointed downhill!!!  

Well, I did finally make it and I was never so glad to see my car.   I was beaming interiorly with pride though because I didn't give up.   My body was shaking from the exertion and lack of food, so I drove to the grocery store (needed family groceries anyway) got a protein bar and a gatorade and started eating them as I shopped.    I felt better but boy oh boy can I tell that I pushed my body too hard.   It will be awhile before I try cycling into that kind of wind!

So there is my story....and I'm stickin' to it!!

Well, they just got more cattle in...time to go back to the corral.

More later
Sharie

Good job Sharie, way to tough it out! Stick a powerbar or gel in your bike bag though. You can get in trouble if you push it too far.

Art

2009-05-09 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Got up this morning, still a little sore from the yardwork yesterday and thought I would get a 3 mile run in this morning. I've been running the same route for a little while and thought it would be good if I switched it up, so I decided to do a loop I ran a couple of times last year. Well....I don't know where my head was. It turns out that was a 5-1/2 mile loop, not 3 miles. Duh! I slowed down a little and finished feeling pretty good. I'll remember next time.

Have a great weekend everybody and Happy Mother's Day!

Art
2009-05-09 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
BACK FROM MY THREE HOUR TOUR.

NO I DIDNT SEE GILLIGAN, MARIANNE NOR THE PROFESSOR.

had some shifting issues.

gonna take my bike back to the LBS for a look-see.

better to have issues during this ride, then during my race next Sunday.

HAVE A HAPPY EVERYONE!

MOM'S RULE!
stacieb

2009-05-09 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2140487

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
skrtrnr - 2009-05-09 10:00 AM

BACK FROM MY THREE HOUR TOUR.

HAVE A HAPPY EVERYONE!

MOM'S RULE!
stacieb

I'm not the local bike expert - but it's my understanding that with new bikes there are often shifting "quirks" until they're broken in? Is this correct? Bill?

Speaking of a 3-hour tour ... we actually have one of the real SS Minnow's up here (I think it was the second or third used on the show), and the new owner runs 3-hour tours out to the smaller islands, with the staff dressed up like the characters from the show.
Wildly popular with the tourists.

Tourists.
2009-05-09 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
yanti, you are marvellous, can i have one of the bra padded tank tops :P

(joking of course)
2009-05-09 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2140608

User image

Melon Presser
SteveyD - 2009-05-09 2:28 PM yanti, you are marvellous, can i have one of the bra padded tank tops :P

(joking of course)

Stevey love, I think it would be the perfect complement to the outfit you are wearing in your avatar

2009-05-09 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
I think my avatar just needs a bra generally... lol
2009-05-09 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2139725

User image

Veteran
El Dorado Hills, CA
Subject: RE: Weekend plans?
Sorry to hear about your doggy   Fortunately they usually heal up pretty quickly and are right back to their old selves. Hope he's up and about soon.

Carole
2009-05-09 4:38 PM
in reply to: #2140562

User image

Champion
SpiritFire - 2009-05-09 1:26 PM
skrtrnr - 2009-05-09 10:00 AM BACK FROM MY THREE HOUR TOUR.

HAVE A HAPPY EVERYONE!

MOM'S RULE!
stacieb

I'm not the local bike expert - but it's my understanding that with new bikes there are often shifting "quirks" until they're broken in? Is this correct? Bill? Speaking of a 3-hour tour ... we actually have one of the real SS Minnow's up here (I think it was the second or third used on the show), and the new owner runs 3-hour tours out to the smaller islands, with the staff dressed up like the characters from the show. Wildly popular with the tourists. Tourists.

TR.  how cool is THAT? 

id LOVE to see the boat.

and i loved my visit to Victoria BC  [came once, saw the botanical gardens.  still etched in my mind as being SPECTACULAR!]

tourist that i was. 

NO GILLIGAN.  sigh.

BUT.....

we did see/smell a dead skunk.

peeewwwwww.

as for the bike.  sounds reasonable that there would be some period of adjustment....the bike shop give you six months of free service...and the guy who sold us the bikes told us to bring it in whenever.  it didnt seem like bringing it in a few times especially in those first few months was all that unusual.

gonna take advantage of the FREE six months.

im just glad the issues surfaced today, rather than during my race next weekend.  this way i have a chance to get it tweaked, and i didnt have to drop a chain while out on the course.

now THAT would be a bummer.
stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-05-09 4:42 PM
2009-05-10 11:23 AM

User image

New user

Happy Mothers Day to all you Strong, Smart, Interesting Mothers out there.   Hope everyone is having a great weekend.   Laurie
2009-05-10 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2141531

User image

Master
Vista, CA

www.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.ws
Glittery texts by bigoo.ws

Edited by lmscozz 2009-05-10 12:24 PM

2009-05-10 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2141531

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Enjoy all you Moms -- and Dads... your day is next month!

The post above first came out as just code so tried to delete and then saw....it worked!! So double HMD!

Edited by lmscozz 2009-05-10 12:25 PM
2009-05-10 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: Happy Mother's Day!
I cannot wish my own mother a HMD (she's travelling, although I did send her a text message u/k if she'll get it) ... HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all the wicked moms out there. ;-)

I volunteered at a race this morning (standing on pavement for 5 hours - yup real good for the hip/knee/Achilles;-) ... and the moms rocked the race! And so many kids there cheering them on - I'm not a mom, but I hope to be someday, and I think that would be the BEST gift ever - having your kids run you across the finish line. What more could you ask for.

2009-05-10 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Thanks to all for the HMD posts!   I have had a relaxing day.   I cooked steak, eggs, potatoes and rolls after church this morning.  Kept telling the kids they should be doing it and waiting on me, but they said they didn't want to make me sad....that if I realized they could do all that by themselves I might not feel needed!  ROFLOL!!!

I am still on time out with training.   That bike ride really walloped me and all day yesterday, while at a conference track meet watching my 2 of my kiddos, my adrenal glands kept firing.   After 10 years of ill-health, I recognize when my body is telling me it is tired out.   So out of respect for my body I am resting.   Figured it was better to slow down and get caught back up than to keep pushing and completely burn out.

I did end up riding a mile or so on a trainer yesterday when they were fitting my pedals and shoes.   I also learned that I best be checking my tire pressure before every ride!!   Hmmm....I had no idea.   We checked my pressure and my back tire was really low!   I bought a bike pump - really cool one made for women.

Blessings,
Sharie
2009-05-10 6:53 PM

User image

Champion
RACED TODAY.

PACED A FRIEND WHO IS A RUNNING/RACING NEWBIE.

SHE WAS AMAZING (what can i say she has a FABULOUS coach.  wink)

and what an tremendous feeling to stand back a few strides and watch her cross her very first finish line.

her goal was to finish in 40 mins.  i got her over in 31-32 mins.  (still waiting on the official chip time...)

i secretly picked up the pace the last mile unbeknowst to her.  wink.

she was JUST GRAND!
2009-05-10 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2141772

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: Stacie and the SS Minnow
This is not the best/most recent article on the Minnow - but it gives some good info on the background.

If you ever find yourself back on the Island - let me know we'll head out for an adventure! ;-)

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/28353104.html

2009-05-11 6:56 AM

User image

Champion
OFFICIAL CHIP TIME 31:40. 

my friend was ELATED.

so funny, she missed her husband and kids at the finish line.  they waited and waited, never saw her, the kids started getting cranky, so her husband just headed home.  [she came down w me...so no biggie that way]

here it turns out her husband was waiting at the finish line at her ETA....of 44 mins.  

but my friend AMAZING WOMAN THAT SHE IS, instead of being upset/disappointed her family didnt see her, was SO EXCITED to tell them that the reason they missed her was cuz she was SUPER FLY FAST. 

you should have seen the look on her face.  BRILLIANT.

WHAT A MOMENT! 

i felt so privileged to be 'invited in' to enjoy her first race with her.

the day could not have gone better.

woke this morning to a very cranky IT band....im guessing from the ride on Saturday.  longest ride todate will do that to ya.  [broke the 10% rule, lesson learned]

so GLAD its a TAPER week.

came in the nick of time.

may have to scale back my 'goals' for Sundays race....unless this starts feeling better in the next two days.  i have my sights set on a Tri at the end of the summer, so all is not 'lost'....

im having shifting issues w my bike anyways.  the bike is adjusted, just in the shop yesturday.

its me.

everyone keeps tellin me its a FEEL thing.

well.....im NOT FEELIN' it.

i CAN NOT for the life of me wrap my head around how to shift this bike during the course of a ride.

ANY TIPS, SUGGESTIONS, WEB ADDRESSES.  HELP!!!!  [i have Shimano105 components]

seems like whenever i go to 'shift' its the opposite of what i want to have happen.  ie when i want it to be easier its harder and visa versa.  i must have it visually mixed up in my head...

OI me.

ah well.  shifting issues.  cranky IT bands.   

whacha gonna do...its the life of a triathlete, i suppose

ONWARD!
stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-05-11 7:13 AM
2009-05-11 7:35 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-11 9:05 AM

Veteran
Thibodaux
Good morning Manatees!

I had a very busy week last week & didn't get to post much. I was just catching up with you guys. I miss you!

Stacie, great job pacing your friend! I love when my friends and family get involved in my passions! It makes everything better when you share your fun.

Sharie, that was an epic bike ride! But always bring a snack in case the unexpected happens and your out longer than you planned.

Art, that run sounds like it was fun even though it was longer than you thought. 

Bill, have you been swimming lately?

Yanti, are you keeping any of that cool stuff for yourself?

I spent the weekend at the beach. It was so relaxing that I never even took my laptop out of its case. Mother's Day was fabulous. The kids got me a Cuisinart ice cream maker. I've wanted one of those for a long time. Can't wait to try it out!
I hope all you Manatee moms had a great day too.

Today is my 50th birthday. I have a swim planned later this morning and a workout with my trainer. Then tonight, Tim and I are having dinner with my sister and parents in New Orleans at Commander's Palace. I'm really excited! Tim got me a new dress for my birthday, so I'll be wearing that.

That's all for now. Hope you all have a rockin' day today and happy training.

Cathy

2009-05-11 9:19 AM

Cathy......HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59