General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2010-08-18 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3050635

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
lisac957 - 2010-08-18 1:14 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-08-18 11:37 AM
crea0029 - 2010-08-18 11:01 AM

Gregkl - 2010-08-17 3:34 PM So, is the guest banquet a must see?  I guess I get in as part of my entry fee, but to have my wife, son, and his girlfriend come would cost $90 right?  Is it worth it?  Should I come alone and let them do their own thing for dinner and meet up after?  What do most of you do? 

Thanks.

I wouldn't waste your money.  I did last year for my parents and I and we got there about 30 minutes after it started and there were no tables left.  We had to sit on the floor.  The food wasn't very good and not very temperature appropriate.  I would have preferred to use the money for a nice dinner with them than do that again and in 2011 when I try again, we will be going out instead of doing that.

I am totally in the dark, when is this banquet? Monday night?

There's the Welcome Dinner Friday evening, and also the Awards Banquet Monday afternoon. You can purchase guest tickets for both events - not sure which one Greg is referring to though.

http://www.active.com/framed/event_detail.cfm?CHECKSSO=0&EVENT_ID=1775585

Sorry about the confusion!  I am referring to the dinner Friday evening.

2010-08-18 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2415722

User image

Marshfield Wi
I did the dinner in Louisville last year. They show the motivational video, recognize the youngest, oldest, most weight lost, most IMs, etc... Then the people in charge of the different events talked about rules, penalties and aid stations.
If your crew wants the full IM experience take them. I will go again this year but it is crowded and just a buffet pasta meal so the family is on their own.
2010-08-19 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
For all those that are riding loooooong on Saturday my parents will be out helping people. I initially told them that I wanted them to drive along the course and act as aid stations for myself so I can get used to only carrying two bottles with me, and having the necessary nutrition that will be on course water, bananas, powerwhatever perfrom, etc. Well my mom went above and beyond and went to Sam's club today and now is asking me where to station and they are going to split up on the course and hand out things that you will find at aid stations come IM day. So if you see either of them alongside the rode feel free to take whatever you want from them as they are doing this out of the kindness of their own hearts, and want everyone to get an idea of what IM will be like come september 12th, just yell a thank you to mr. cagle and mrs cagle
2010-08-19 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3053558

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
chasingkona - 2010-08-19 4:33 PM For all those that are riding loooooong on Saturday my parents will be out helping people. I initially told them that I wanted them to drive along the course and act as aid stations for myself so I can get used to only carrying two bottles with me, and having the necessary nutrition that will be on course water, bananas, powerwhatever perfrom, etc. Well my mom went above and beyond and went to Sam's club today and now is asking me where to station and they are going to split up on the course and hand out things that you will find at aid stations come IM day. So if you see either of them alongside the rode feel free to take whatever you want from them as they are doing this out of the kindness of their own hearts, and want everyone to get an idea of what IM will be like come september 12th, just yell a thank you to mr. cagle and mrs cagle

Wow, now I call that support from family!  I am willing to toss you a couple bucks to offset the investment they are making.

Ben, if you don't mind, PM me your cell number in case my wife and I get held up in Chicago traffic and can't make it to dinner. 

Mattb1, if I take 294 around the city and go up through Elgin, Rockford do you think I will hit bad traffic?  I am leaving Lafayette around noon Chicago time.

Edited by Gregkl 2010-08-19 4:40 PM
2010-08-19 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Bronze member
chasingkona - 2010-08-19 4:33 PM

For all those that are riding loooooong on Saturday my parents will be out helping people. I initially told them that I wanted them to drive along the course and act as aid stations for myself so I can get used to only carrying two bottles with me, and having the necessary nutrition that will be on course water, bananas, powerwhatever perfrom, etc. Well my mom went above and beyond and went to Sam's club today and now is asking me where to station and they are going to split up on the course and hand out things that you will find at aid stations come IM day. So if you see either of them alongside the rode feel free to take whatever you want from them as they are doing this out of the kindness of their own hearts, and want everyone to get an idea of what IM will be like come september 12th, just yell a thank you to mr. cagle and mrs cagle

That is so nice! You have definitely got some cool (and supportive!) parents!!!

2010-08-19 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3053569

User image

Master
Chicago
Gregkl - 2010-08-19 4:40 PM
chasingkona - 2010-08-19 4:33 PM For all those that are riding loooooong on Saturday my parents will be out helping people. I initially told them that I wanted them to drive along the course and act as aid stations for myself so I can get used to only carrying two bottles with me, and having the necessary nutrition that will be on course water, bananas, powerwhatever perfrom, etc. Well my mom went above and beyond and went to Sam's club today and now is asking me where to station and they are going to split up on the course and hand out things that you will find at aid stations come IM day. So if you see either of them alongside the rode feel free to take whatever you want from them as they are doing this out of the kindness of their own hearts, and want everyone to get an idea of what IM will be like come september 12th, just yell a thank you to mr. cagle and mrs cagle

Wow, now I call that support from family!  I am willing to toss you a couple bucks to offset the investment they are making.

Ben, if you don't mind, PM me your cell number in case my wife and I get held up in Chicago traffic and can't make it to dinner. 

Mattb1, if I take 294 around the city and go up through Elgin, Rockford do you think I will hit bad traffic?  I am leaving Lafayette around noon Chicago time.

I would be surprised if you didn't hit traffic.  The Borman in Indiana to the Illinois border will be bad.  I90 will most likely have traffic on it till Elgin or so, then it will open up.  It will be much better than coming up the Skyway and sitting on The Dan Ryan and Kennedy in traffic while coming through the city.  

If you want to listen to Chicago Sports Radio, 670AM is the local and 1000AM is ESPN.  The talking heads on those stations keeps me entertained for a good part of the drive and the people that call in are nuts.  

Everybody have a safe drive up\down there if you are going to Madison this weekend.   

Edited by mattb1 2010-08-19 7:59 PM

2010-08-19 11:05 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Omy goodness how SWEET are your parents?! I am about to cry thinking about them doing all of that. OK I haven't eaten since my 15 mile run tonight (pizza in the oven, hurry up!!!) so that may be part of it, but really... that is AWESOME.

See ya'll tomorrow! Wheeee!
2010-08-20 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

That is awesome.   We really appreciate it.  Let me know if I can buy them a beer or glass of wine after the race.   
2010-08-20 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN

That is great!!!  If we see them we'll definitely stop and say thank you!
2010-08-20 8:57 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

NOW THAT IS SUPPORT AND LOVE!!
I'm not even racing but will say THANK YOU, Mr. and Mrs. ChasingKona's parents!

Will they be back next year *hint hint*??
2010-08-20 9:35 AM

That is AWESOME of your parents.  I'll bring the sun tan lotion.  Looks like we might have some great weather for the weekend.

For those going long tomorrow but are NOT doing the OWS, will you be starting from the Terrace or out by Fireman's Park?  I'd love to hook up i.e. draft with a group but not sure where most will be taking off from.

Safe travels.  See everyone tomorrow.

2010-08-20 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Yes I feel very fortunate to have the parents that I do and I let them all know how every grateful everyone is. I talked to them last night and my father will be out at the Mt. Horeb aid station, and my mom will bounce in between Cross Plains aid station and the one just outside of Verona right before HWY G. They will have water and bananas for all. See you all tonight should be a great weekend!
2010-08-20 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3054501

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
elihu303 - 2010-08-20 9:35 AM That is AWESOME of your parents.  I'll bring the sun tan lotion.  Looks like we might have some great weather for the weekend.

For those going long tomorrow but are NOT doing the OWS, will you be starting from the Terrace or out by Fireman's Park?  I'd love to hook up i.e. draft with a group but not sure where most will be taking off from.

Safe travels.  See everyone tomorrow.

My wife are not doing the OWS and are planning on doing a 6 hour/112 mile ride (whichever comes first) and will start at Veterans Park.  We haven't talked specifics about when we plan on starting but I'm guessing it will be between 7 and 8AM sometime.  We'll likely average around 17-18 mph.  You're more the welcome to join us if we're in your speed range. 

We also plan on doing an hour run afterwards. 
2010-08-20 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3054692

That sounds great.  Forgive my ignorance but where is Veterans Park?  I'm leaving Chicago shortly and plan to get up to Madison tonight with enough time to get a lay of the land.  If you're OK with me tagging along, I'd sure like the company.

I'll just plan to be at Veterans park at roughly 7am tomorrow.  I have a white Javelin tri bike.  Thanks for the update and look forward to meeting you tomorrow.
2010-08-20 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3055198

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
elihu303 - 2010-08-20 1:20 PM That sounds great.  Forgive my ignorance but where is Veterans Park?  I'm leaving Chicago shortly and plan to get up to Madison tonight with enough time to get a lay of the land.  If you're OK with me tagging along, I'd sure like the company.

I'll just plan to be at Veterans park at roughly 7am tomorrow.  I have a white Javelin tri bike.  Thanks for the update and look forward to meeting you tomorrow.

Pretty sure they are talking about Fireman's Park which is in Verona.  It is where almost all people start when doing the loop.  It's right off Hwy 69.
2010-08-20 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3055441

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
SSMinnow - 2010-08-20 2:40 PM
elihu303 - 2010-08-20 1:20 PM That sounds great.  Forgive my ignorance but where is Veterans Park?  I'm leaving Chicago shortly and plan to get up to Madison tonight with enough time to get a lay of the land.  If you're OK with me tagging along, I'd sure like the company.

Pretty sure they are talking about Fireman's Park which is in Verona.  It is where almost all people start when doing the loop.  It's right off Hwy 69.

A google map link for ya, shortened -
http://tinyurl.com/2cxjmd2

2010-08-20 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3054562

Extreme Veteran
WI
chasingkona - 2010-08-20 9:54 AM Yes I feel very fortunate to have the parents that I do and I let them all know how every grateful everyone is. I talked to them last night and my father will be out at the Mt. Horeb aid station, and my mom will bounce in between Cross Plains aid station and the one just outside of Verona right before HWY G. They will have water and bananas for all. See you all tonight should be a great weekend!

That's so awesome!  Even if I don't use the services your parents are providing I will give them a big "thank you" from the BTers.
2010-08-21 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3050750

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Gregkl - 2010-08-18 1:56 PM
lisac957 - 2010-08-18 1:14 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-08-18 11:37 AM
crea0029 - 2010-08-18 11:01 AM

Gregkl - 2010-08-17 3:34 PM So, is the guest banquet a must see?  I guess I get in as part of my entry fee, but to have my wife, son, and his girlfriend come would cost $90 right?  Is it worth it?  Should I come alone and let them do their own thing for dinner and meet up after?  What do most of you do? 

Thanks.

I wouldn't waste your money.  I did last year for my parents and I and we got there about 30 minutes after it started and there were no tables left.  We had to sit on the floor.  The food wasn't very good and not very temperature appropriate.  I would have preferred to use the money for a nice dinner with them than do that again and in 2011 when I try again, we will be going out instead of doing that.

I am totally in the dark, when is this banquet? Monday night?

There's the Welcome Dinner Friday evening, and also the Awards Banquet Monday afternoon. You can purchase guest tickets for both events - not sure which one Greg is referring to though.

http://www.active.com/framed/event_detail.cfm?CHECKSSO=0&EVENT_ID=1775585

Sorry about the confusion!  I am referring to the dinner Friday evening.

Yep, that is the one I was writing about.  The dinner Friday night.  I didn't end up going to the breakfast after the race because of my DNF and I couldn't emotionally handle it.

2010-08-22 6:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
20 Days 23 Hours 30 Minutes

Better know as three weeks from today!

Good luck, train hard, stay safe Wink 
2010-08-22 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3055441

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
SSMinnow - 2010-08-20 2:40 PM

No I meant Veterans park    I know most folks start at Fireman's but I don't know the area real well and the only other time I've ridden the course we started at veterans so I wanted to start from the same place.

2010-08-22 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Hey, 8 of us plus my wife ate dinner at Bucatini in Middleton this past Friday and it was fun!  I had a reasonably portioned, excellent dinner that digested well so I was rid of it early Saturday morning even though we didn't meet there until 7 pm.

I think we should get a group of whoever together on the 11th to have an earlier dinner there, maybe around 5 pm so we can turn in earlier.  Heck, we could reserve the whole restaurant maybe!

Think about it and let's get a list together and call them in the next two weeks.

Unless I am missing something that normally happens on Saturday before IM.  If so, let me know!

2010-08-22 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
It was great meeting all you guys this weekend both Friday and Saturday. Hope everyones rides and runs went well. I got the chance to see some of you out there and plenty of others as well and everyone was looking good and ready for IM. My parents had an absolute blast watching and helping with water and what not. I think they are more excited about the race then I am. Have a great taper, get plenty of rest and I will see you all in less then 20 days!
2010-08-22 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3057889

Extreme Veteran
WI
Couldn't make the dinner, but glad you had a good time.  Greg, it was good to meet you on the course - what are the chances?!

I didn't see the Cagles, but heard that a couple people met them.

I did my longest bike ever last weekend, and my longest swim and run ever this weekend.  After today's run I felt ecstatic - not only because I've never run the distance before, but because my main training is over and there is nothing "more" (increasing in distance or time) that I can do for IMoo.  My plan starts me tapering!  I feel ready, but will need to refocus  on having a great taper - staying healthy, safe, and not overeating.

I know some of you start tapering next week, so have a great last week of peaking!

Man.... this is all becoming a bit real now.  Surprised
2010-08-23 5:20 AM
in reply to: #3057675

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Gregkl - 2010-08-22 6:51 PM Hey, 8 of us plus my wife ate dinner at Bucatini in Middleton this past Friday and it was fun!  I had a reasonably portioned, excellent dinner that digested well so I was rid of it early Saturday morning even though we didn't meet there until 7 pm.

I think we should get a group of whoever together on the 11th to have an earlier dinner there, maybe around 5 pm so we can turn in earlier.  Heck, we could reserve the whole restaurant maybe!

Think about it and let's get a list together and call them in the next two weeks.

Unless I am missing something that normally happens on Saturday before IM.  If so, let me know!

Sounds like everyone had a great training weekend in Madison!  I can't do dinner on the 11th, but would love to connect up with some people earlier in the week.  When is everyone arriving?
2010-08-23 6:20 AM
in reply to: #3058072

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
SSMinnow - 2010-08-23 5:20 AM
Gregkl - 2010-08-22 6:51 PM Hey, 8 of us plus my wife ate dinner at Bucatini in Middleton this past Friday and it was fun!  I had a reasonably portioned, excellent dinner that digested well so I was rid of it early Saturday morning even though we didn't meet there until 7 pm.

Sounds like everyone had a great training weekend in Madison!  I can't do dinner on the 11th, but would love to connect up with some people earlier in the week.  When is everyone arriving?

I'm coming in on Friday afternoon.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 53