BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-03-23 11:28 PM
in reply to: #2744268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
so doing some research, here are a few photos of where nerves lie in your hand. Depending on how you position your hands while riding, it could play a part in some tingling or numbness over time. If you are on the hoods, then the ulnar nerve could have the pressure, or if you are on the top of the bars, mabey the median nerves are in play?

Is this where you are experiencing some of the tingling? I ask because there is another nerve on the outer side of the palm, called the ulnar nerve which also can cause numbness in your fingers.

Check this site out from specialized. it's actually kind of cool, shows various things about riding. not meant to be a commercial from me, but could be informative and help with your issues. 

One thing I noticed by getting the gel pad gloves, it causes me to not have such a tight grip on the bars because I can't close my hands as much as I would without the pad/gloves, which gets me away from the death grip. Either way, I hope it goes away and isn't an issue.

Edited by barelfly 2010-03-23 11:30 PM

2010-03-24 6:11 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Elite

Its sort of early and I can not remember if anyone here foam rolls, but here are some great videos: http://pinnaclept.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/self-muscle-massage-pt-3-the-hamstrings/

2010-03-24 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2744480

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-03-24 7:11 AM

Its sort of early and I can not remember if anyone here foam rolls, but here are some great videos: http://pinnaclept.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/self-muscle-massage-pt-3-the-hamstrings/

I was going to post those links today!  Leigh is my PT who helps me out a lot with ideas, whom I call my "coach" sometimes.  She's planning a whole series of these videos and eventually make the whole set down loadable.
2010-03-24 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2744344

User image

Veteran
Richmond
barelfly - 2010-03-23 11:28 PMso doing some research, here are a few photos of where nerves lie in your hand. Depending on how you position your hands while riding, it could play a part in some tingling or numbness over time. If you are on the hoods, then the ulnar nerve could have the pressure, or if you are on the top of the bars, mabey the median nerves are in play?

Is this where you are experiencing some of the tingling? I ask because there is another nerve on the outer side of the palm, called the ulnar nerve which also can cause numbness in your fingers.

Check this site out from specialized. it's actually kind of cool, shows various things about riding. not meant to be a commercial from me, but could be informative and help with your issues. 

One thing I noticed by getting the gel pad gloves, it causes me to not have such a tight grip on the bars because I can't close my hands as much as I would without the pad/gloves, which gets me away from the death grip. Either way, I hope it goes away and isn't an issue.

T?hank you Jeremy, that is spot on, the blue area in the pic is exactly where it is happening.  I went to get my bike fit today a?nd think some of it related to the position on my bike as it had me leaning over too far, thus putting lots of pressure on my h?ands to hold me up.? ? ??A?l?s?o?,? ?k?n?o?w? ?w?h?a?t? ?i?s? ?c?a?u?s?i?n?g? ?i?t? ?a?n?d? ?t?a?k?i?n?g? ?s?o?m?e? ?o?t?h?e?r? ?c?o?r?r?e?c?t?i?ve? ?m?e?as?ure?s I feel it will subside.

Edited by mdfahy 2010-03-24 4:11 PM
2010-03-24 7:04 PM

User image

NH
Great news Matt.  Glad to see a resolution so quickly.  Hammer away!
2010-03-24 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2744480

User image

Extreme Veteran
aarondavidson - 2010-03-24 5:11 AM

aaron - thanks for the link. I do the foam roller every night, good to hear a few more things about it and what I can do for specific spots.

2010-03-24 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2746461

User image

Veteran
Richmond
wbayek - 2010-03-24 7:04 PM Great news Matt.  Glad to see a resolution so quickly.  Hammer away!

Well, I am happy I have a better understanding of what is wrong, but I still need to prove that the adjustments will make it go away.  It appears that I have what they call "handlebar palsy."  The description in the below article fits with what my bike fitter said about my position and that was likely part of the cause.  However, this article concerns me that recovery may take longer than just a quick fix of my bike fit as I was originally hoping.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/cycling-injuries.html
2010-03-25 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2746615

User image

Expert
WA
I head out tomorrow on vacation for a week.  WahoooOOOO!!
I plan to bring my running shoes and goggles.  Hopefully I can get a few easy runs and swims in!  ...since I will be doing lots of eating and laying around!  ;-)

Good luck to everyone on your training!!  Rock and Roll!!
2010-03-25 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2747729

User image

NH
RunRene - 2010-03-25 11:24 AM I head out tomorrow on vacation for a week.  WahoooOOOO!!
I plan to bring my running shoes and goggles.  Hopefully I can get a few easy runs and swims in!  ...since I will be doing lots of eating and laying around!  ;-)

Have a blast.  Eating and laying around sounds great.  Wear your sunscreen!
2010-03-25 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
RunRene - 2010-03-25 10:24 AM I head out tomorrow on vacation for a week.  WahoooOOOO!!

Have fun.  And remember to recover with as much intensity as you train.Laughing
2010-03-25 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
RunRene - 2010-03-25 11:24 AM I head out tomorrow on vacation for a week.  WahoooOOOO!!

Have a great vacation, Rene!  You've earned some R&R, for sure!  Enjoy!

2010-03-25 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Have a great vacation Rene...it's well earned.

Best of luck to Matt on his first tri on Saturday!

I get to do my longest run to date on Sunday (2 hr 15 min)...anyone else got something good planned?
2010-03-26 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2749372

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-03-25 8:12 PM Have a great vacation Rene...it's well earned.

Best of luck to Matt on his first tri on Saturday!

I get to do my longest run to date on Sunday (2 hr 15 min)...anyone else got something good planned?

Enjoy the break Rene. Excited to see the results of the race Matt. Enjoy the run, 135min is a long time.

I have 5 hours of planned cycling this weekend. Nothing else to exciting.

2010-03-26 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2750438

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Sat - 40 x 4 brick
Sun - run 9 miles then short recovery ride

Also,  my wife bought a used road bike this week.  Yay!  We will probably try to get her outfitted, helmet, shoes, shorts, etc...... and shop for some tires, pedals, and other things.  We probably won't get her on the road this weekend, but soon I hope.  I can't believe that after being with me for 18 years she has finally decided to join me.  It's probably because there is a new club in town with lots of novice cyclers, and she feels safe around them.
2010-03-26 10:49 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I'm pretty sore today.  Did a relatively short run on the treadmill and had a moderate amount of pain on my left leg, starting around my knee and radiating down to my shin and around to my calf.  Nothing unbearable, just kind of an achy feeling.  Because of that, I think I'm going to take it easy this weekend, maybe do a 1 hr bike ride if weather permits (or do the trainer).  Just feeling a little run down.  Blah! 
2010-03-26 12:23 PM

User image

NH
Awesome that your wife is going to start cycling Ray.

Good luck Matt, can't wait to see how it goes.

And way to pay attention to recovery Bill, it's still early.

I'm doing my long run today since I'll be doing plumbing for a friend all day Sat.  As I told Jennifer, having plumbing in your background is almost as bad as owning a pickup!  I'm also planning an hour on the trainer for Sunday.

2010-03-26 4:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
hi guys! for the weekend, an easy run on Saturday and a 2-2.5 hour ride on Sunday. hopefully with a couple of friends.

I wanted to get your opinion on wet suits. There's a great deal via Xterra on a Volt wetsuit for $100. I figure this is a great price for me to get a entry level wetsuit and give the OWS a try prior the oly distance tri in Sept. I can practice it in, see how I feel and make a decision on if it's something I want to do. If not, I figure I can get the most of my money back if I sell on ebay or something.

It's a Volt sleeveless - do any of you have experience with a sleeveless? what are the pros/cons vs sleeves. The water temp for the tri in Sept will be in the 70s, so a good temp. I see Bill wears a sleeveless (from your profile pic) - can you provide some feedback?

thanks for the info - I won't do many OWS tris, so this I think is a great way to get a suit for the one I will do.

enjoy the weekend!
2010-03-26 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2751570

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I also wear sleeveless.  The coldest I've swam in with it is 78.  It kept me plenty warm.

I went sleeveless, because I wanted to feel the water on my forearms.  My coach did a lot to teach me to swim using my whole forearm as a paddle and not just my hands.  I was afraid that if I went full sleeve, I would lose the sensation of the water pressure on my forearms.  Not sure how factual that is, but that was my novice reasoning.
2010-03-26 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2750653

User image

Elite

ray6foot7 - 2010-03-26 11:32 AM Sat - 40 x 4 brick
Sun - run 9 miles then short recovery ride

Also,  my wife bought a used road bike this week.  Yay!  We will probably try to get her outfitted, helmet, shoes, shorts, etc...... and shop for some tires, pedals, and other things.  We probably won't get her on the road this weekend, but soon I hope.  I can't believe that after being with me for 18 years she has finally decided to join me.  It's probably because there is a new club in town with lots of novice cyclers, and she feels safe around them.

Thats awesome she is joining you. 40x4?

2010-03-26 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2751570

User image

Elite

barelfly - 2010-03-26 5:49 PM hi guys! for the weekend, an easy run on Saturday and a 2-2.5 hour ride on Sunday. hopefully with a couple of friends.

I wanted to get your opinion on wet suits. There's a great deal via Xterra on a Volt wetsuit for $100. I figure this is a great price for me to get a entry level wetsuit and give the OWS a try prior the oly distance tri in Sept. I can practice it in, see how I feel and make a decision on if it's something I want to do. If not, I figure I can get the most of my money back if I sell on ebay or something.

It's a Volt sleeveless - do any of you have experience with a sleeveless? what are the pros/cons vs sleeves. The water temp for the tri in Sept will be in the 70s, so a good temp. I see Bill wears a sleeveless (from your profile pic) - can you provide some feedback?

thanks for the info - I won't do many OWS tris, so this I think is a great way to get a suit for the one I will do.

enjoy the weekend!

I have full sleeves. Full sleeves are faster, and a good fitting wetsuit with sleeves is just as flexible as sleeveless. Full sleeves are faster because of the added buoyancy. Two blog posts by Steve Fleck. He is the director of marketing for Nineteen (a wetsuit company). Impartial as much as he can be:

http://stevefleck.blogspot.com/2009/05/its-all-about-fit.html

http://stevefleck.blogspot.com/2010/03/sleeved-or-sleeve-less-for-wetsuits.html

2010-03-27 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I have a full sleeve wetsuit (the water can get quite cold up here)...my main complaint with the full sleeve is a bit of constriction on the shoulders. It took me 3-4 practice swims to get used to the feeling of the material on my shoulders...but the extra buoyancy definitely outweighed any detriment of the shoulder bind. (I have also found if I take my time getting the websuit on - the constriction is much less). There are lots of good youTube videos about how to get the wetsuit on - it takes practice. Best advice I got was to put your feet (or hands) in plastic bags to slide on the suit, then pull the plastic bags off your feet once your legs or arms are in position...makes it much easier.

The price seems reasonable. I look a the wetsuit as a cost per usage item (at this point I'm down to about $.67 per usage...should go lower this season). If you think you are going to get good usage out of it - might be worth it. Truly the extra buoyancy is remarkable if you haven't felt it.

2010-03-27 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2752113

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Also have full sleeved wetsuit here. It was a hand-me-down (so I can't comment on price) and I'm cheap so it wasn't really a conscious decision but it seems to work well enough and swimming now with water in the low 50's it's nice to have. I do, however, sometimes think I'm missing the 'feel' of the water...it's hard to describe but I feel less connected or something. I really have to think about my form instead of just responding to where I feel the pushback. Hopefully more practice will help me.
2010-03-27 7:39 PM

User image

NH
I wore a sleeveless for a few swims last year and it seemed fine - it's buoyant enough to help plenty.  It's not quite as good as a full but still a huge help.  The fit has to be very good to be sure to not drag at all, so make sure it's tight enough.  At first a wetsuit seems way too tight, but once it's wet and you've used it a few times it feels more natural.  Sleeveless comes off faster for transitions.  $100 seems great for that suit, though Xterra often has pretty good sales.

I have a full suit since the temps are cold up here.  Swimming without the suit in pools has shown me that I was developing some bad habits - the suit buoyancy covers up some bad balance mistakes.  This year I plan to wear the suit if the water is < 70 and go suit-less over 70, until right before a race to practice.  Races are best in a suit if allowed.

Jennifer, what suit do you have?  I have an Xterra Vortex and the material is so thin in the shoulders it hardly restrictive at all.
2010-03-28 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Hey guys, I did it!  I felt pretty good about my race overall and want to thank everyone for your support, advice and counsel along the way.  You guys really help me a lot.  Here's my first tri race report.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=201264
2010-03-28 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Woot! Great job Matt. So glad everything worked out and that you remained vertical when you slipped off the road during the bike. Keep up the great work. (Good news about the bike fit as well...glad to hear it was worth it)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76