BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-06-21 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
I did a quick skim of posts and will catch up more later.  

yanti- sorry to hear about your loss, and hope you are feeling better yourself.  Of course you raced this weekend!  

Quincy- sorry to hear about your crash.  Glad to hear it wasn't any worse though.  I have swam with some road rash before.  I just covered it with Tegaderm and it was fine.  I swam in both the ocean and also the pool.  No bad effects from either.  You may want to take the bike into your LBS just to have them check it over for you to make sure nothing is wrong with it even though it looks fine... peace of mind you know?  

Allison- good luck with the move.  I am sure that things are crazy for you now.  Keep up with the training thru it all- it will keep you sane!  

So who all is racing this weekend?  I think there are a few of you racing.  I am doing a 5K on Sunday evening but running it with my almost 7 yr old so not racing it at all.  That's fine because I have an 8 mile run planned for the morning on Sunday.  My next tri is not until July 25th.  

Laura 

2010-06-21 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2935569

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
elbi999 - 2010-06-21 8:18 PM I did a quick skim of posts and will catch up more later.  

yanti- sorry to hear about your loss, and hope you are feeling better yourself.  Of course you raced this weekend!  

Quincy- sorry to hear about your crash.  Glad to hear it wasn't any worse though.  I have swam with some road rash before.  I just covered it with Tegaderm and it was fine.  I swam in both the ocean and also the pool.  No bad effects from either.  You may want to take the bike into your LBS just to have them check it over for you to make sure nothing is wrong with it even though it looks fine... peace of mind you know?  

Allison- good luck with the move.  I am sure that things are crazy for you now.  Keep up with the training thru it all- it will keep you sane!  

So who all is racing this weekend?  I think there are a few of you racing.  I am doing a 5K on Sunday evening but running it with my almost 7 yr old so not racing it at all.  That's fine because I have an 8 mile run planned for the morning on Sunday.  My next tri is not until July 25th.  

Laura 

Laura,  bike is @ LBS now...good news is I was riding with the owner on Sunday, so he is familiar with the damageMoney mouth  thanks for the advice.  Got DH looking for tegaderm for me!!!  Maybe some bacitracin too...

2010-06-22 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2935669

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Glad to see some roaming Manatees coming home!

Well, Yanti, I guess you're stronger now after that tri on Sunday. You know, the whatever doesn't kill you...Glad you're among the living!

As far as races -- I KNOW several of us are racing this weekend. I've got an olympic on Sunday. Not really tapering for it. It's mostly just a great workout and a good event with my Velo Bella friends.

Good luck and have fun with your 5K, Laura!

Everyone else? Quincy? Hope your soreness is leaving and you're feeling strong. Keep us posted on the bike status.

Hope you all are having a great week!

2010-06-22 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2937151

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I have a sprint on Sunday.  It's my first tri of the season and only my 3rd overall so I figured I would wait until later in the season to make the jump to Olympic distance.  It's back in Ohio so family can come out and watch and I have never done this race before so not entirely sure what to expect.
Good luck to everyone else this weekend too!
2010-06-22 11:45 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Wow, bizzy dizzy Manatees this weekend!

GOOD LUCK SUPER RACIN' MANATEES!

And yes, I am doing pretty close to absolutely nothing this week. I'm happily reunited with my dogs as I am villa-sitting for the guy who's been taking care of them.

I am doing my first ever official open-water-swim race on July 4th ... seems like an auspicious day.
2010-06-23 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I'm racing Sunday as well.  It's the same sprint I did last year so I'm hoping to knock some time off this time around.  I am tapering but mostly against my will.  I just have no time!  Saturday we finish moving boxes to storage, Sunday morning I get up and race, do a quick T3 in the car and finish the fourth leg of my day by moving the remaining furniture to storage, cleaning the house and moving whatever's left down to my parent's house.  Sure it's crazy, but that's how I roll.

2010-06-24 2:08 AM
in reply to: #2939785

User image

Melon Presser
thndrcloud - 2010-06-24 6:20 AM I'm racing Sunday as well.  It's the same sprint I did last year so I'm hoping to knock some time off this time around.  I am tapering but mostly against my will.  I just have no time!  Saturday we finish moving boxes to storage, Sunday morning I get up and race, do a quick T3 in the car and finish the fourth leg of my day by moving the remaining furniture to storage, cleaning the house and moving whatever's left down to my parent's house.  Sure it's crazy, but that's how I roll.

You really are a Manatee

Good luck with all that! Phew! That's like a ... a ... quintathlon.
2010-06-25 7:00 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi everyone...I tried to hit everyone with an inspire...I know I LIVE for them (there's dysfunction in there somewhere, but I don't care).  They are like my...scooby snacks...manatee snacks???

Lynn, I don't really know what a taper is, but I suspect for an OLY it's not that big or long.  Good luck this weekend...I am jealous of the west coast peeps...all of your triathlons look so amazing.  San Diego?  Get out!!!

Yanti, sorry about your sister's BAD dog.  My pug ate an awesome pair of wedges a while back, but I could forgive that...but 600 dollar orthotics takes it to a whole new level.

Allison...the good news is you are one step closer to getting out of the old house.  Next is house hunting, a nice new house, and planning for the next phase of your tri-ing.  HIM anyone?!?

Ryan, good luck on your tri this weekend.  You have inspired me to take my tri crazy train on the road...we're doing the Freeport YMCA tri in July.  It has a silly pool swim, but the big news is I have infected DH with the tri disease.  He's doing it with me!  I think it will be a good first experience for him.  Plus we will stay with my mother in law in Dubuque so...FREE BABYSITTING!!!  (best part).

I've had a gloomy black cloud over me this week.  After my initial enthusiasm, I realized swimming in the lake was a stupid idea, even with tegaderm...what is a few more swims going to buy me that makes the chance of getting a staph infection worth?  Even my husband, who is a doctor, but has the bedside manner of attila the hun, kind of told me to calm down and not swim...that made me stop and think it through...I mean if the king of HTFU at my house is being cautious about something, I need to pay attention.

I think my mood is a combo of the pain from the road rash (I skinned my knee when I was a kid...I don't remember it hurting this much), the frustration of the involuntary "taper" and being pissed off about crashing.  

It has been an interesting week and I am learning more about myself and my PSYCHOlogy regarding training and racing...I am usually rarin' to go, and I am NOT looking forward to this race at all.  Having some confidence issues.  It's good to be going through it now, because it will be all the worse with longer distances and bigger tapers and bigger unknowns in the future.  But it still sucks.

Good news is I will be running around like a maniac (Allison) getting us all ready for our trip, packing, picking up race packets, etc, etc.  DH is working until midnight, so he's no help...Wink

Again, good luck and have a great weekend Manatees.  Can't wait for all the race reports!

2010-06-26 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2943021

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Great post Quincy! WHat a great group of manatees we have here. What do you call a group of manatees, anyway? A pride? A swarm? A gaggle? A flipper-full?  Just asking?

I think ALL your feelings are totally normal Quincy. I think "hearing" what your DH said about lake swimming is important. See, sometimes they DO know something we don't.

Okay, everyone racing in the true Manatee pride and colors -- I salute you!

Have a great race, if you're racing....have a great weekend in any case.

I'll be in San Diego trying to PR my 10K in the Oly distance. We'll see. Maybe be a pipe dream, but hey a girl's gotta have dreams.

Oh, swam 2 miles in the ocean yesterday and it was a bit too much...too much ocean, too much sun, too much energy from the fabulous big blue. But, I'm still here. Saw a good sized bat ray.

2010-06-26 5:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
A herd.  We're a herd.  Like cows.  Except faster.  Most days at least.  I hope.  Dear God, please let me be faster than a cow tomorrow.
2010-06-26 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2945732

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Good luck tomorrow everyone!
Allison - You will be faster than a cow on the run but maybe not on the bike. Have you ever seen a cow bike?...they are crazy fast in WI!  Just kidding Tongue out

2010-06-26 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Hi all,

I have been incredibly busy lately and haven't had a chance to check in.  I will check the last few pages to see what everyone has been up to.  I hope everyone has been well and that training and racing are going good.  Several times during the year, I do some additional part-time work and this is one of those times.  So, between my regular job, my part-time work, and training, things have been crazy!  I finally got my race report done from 2 weeks ago if anyone is interested.  It is here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=214621&posts=1&start=1

My next race is in 2 weeks.  It is the race at the state park about 20 mins from my house.  I decided to go ride the bike route today.  Wow, it is crazy!  To say that it is on back road is an understatement.  I don't think that some of them even qualify as roads.  They are narrow and windy and rough.  There is a lot of debris in areas, some killer hills, and I had to stop several times as the course crossed over main roads.  One part was so narrow that I don't even know how one car made it down, let alone if 2 cars passed.  I was glad that no cars passed me on that section because I really don't know how we would have fit!  I am embarrassed to admit that on one hill, I stopped and walked!!  And I thought I was getting better at climbing!  Guess I need to keep working.  On another hill, near the end, I just had to stop.  Yep, didn't get unclipped and toppled over!  I smacked my ankle off the frame of my bike and cut it.  I have a few scrapes on my arm.  I have been sitting here this evening with ice on my ankle, because it hurts and is quite swollen.  I didn't realize how much it hurt - but I just had to take the dog out, and it hurt to walk.  After I fell, I did get back on and rode the rest of the way, without walking.  Has anybody else ever had to walk while out riding?  It is rather humbling.  So, at least I was happy about not walking again!!  The course is only 16.5 miles and it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes.  Of course, that includes walking, falling, and back-tracking a couple times to make sure I was going the right way.  Hopefully it will be a little faster on race day.  Given the roads, I am not expecting anything great!!

Okay, I am off to catch up.  Have a great weekend.

Karen
2010-06-26 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Okay, I think I am caught up!

Quincy - I just read about your crash.  How are you feeling?  I can't believe you totally destroyed your helmet!  So glad you are okay!!  And that is so cool that your husband is racing with you!  At least my husband comes and watches and cheers me on!

Allison - Good luck at your race tomorrow!  It is fun to do a race that you have done before!  Can't wait to read about it.  And congrats on selling your house.  I remember how awful it is to pack everything and move.  My husband said that we are never moving again!  Good luck!

Ryan - Good luck tomorrow also!  The first tri of the season is so exciting!  Looking forward to the race report!

Kerry - Glad you are back!!  Sorry about your husband's accident.  How is he doing?  He's a man, of course he is fixing the bike.  Hope he stays safe.

Laura - Have fun at your 5k tomorrow.  Has your 7 year old (son?  daughter?)  ran with you before.  That should be a blast for both of you!

Lynn - Good luck at your Oly on Sunday.  It will be a blast to do a race with friends, I wish I had friends who tri!  Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Carla - Hope you had an awesome vacation!  Lots of relaxing?

Yanti - Sorry to hear that you have been sick.  How are you feeling now?  I would say to take it slow, but I think that I am already too late for that!

Emily - Good to see you back and ready to jump into training again.  Hope all is going well!

Hope I didn't miss anything important!  Happy training!

Karen
2010-06-27 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Hello all!  Want to hear how all the races went.  

This morning I did 7 miles in my new running shoes and ended up with blisters/hot spots (wrote about it in my training log).  I had the 5K with my daughter this evening.  I am sooooo proud of her.  She has only run with me maybe 4 or 5 times this year, and has done 3 kids fun runs in the past couple yrs.  She was such a trooper.  I  was fully prepared for a ton of whining since it was so hot and humid out.  She said not one negative word.  She loved hearing people cheer for her and loved dumping water over her head while running.  She did a combo of run and walk and finished in 45:46.  I think she was the youngest girl in the race.  She is so proud of herself too.  I let her cross the finish line ahead of me of course, and she ran strong for the last 200 ft to the finish line with a smile on her face.  Proud mama here!  Hubby finished the race in 19:54 (yeah he's fast), and ran back to find us so he could keep her company.  It was funny because he was trying to fuss over her "Can I give you a drink" "Can I wet your head"  "Do you need to walk"..... I finally said "we were in a fine rhythm, don't mess with it " LOL   
2010-06-27 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2947097

User image

Master
Vista, CA

elbi999 - 2010-06-27 6:35 PM Hello all!  Want to hear how all the races went.  

This morning I did 7 miles in my new running shoes and ended up with blisters/hot spots (wrote about it in my training log).  I had the 5K with my daughter this evening.  I am sooooo proud of her.  She has only run with me maybe 4 or 5 times this year, and has done 3 kids fun runs in the past couple yrs.  She was such a trooper.  I  was fully prepared for a ton of whining since it was so hot and humid out.  She said not one negative word.  She loved hearing people cheer for her and loved dumping water over her head while running.  She did a combo of run and walk and finished in 45:46.  I think she was the youngest girl in the race.  She is so proud of herself too.  I let her cross the finish line ahead of me of course, and she ran strong for the last 200 ft to the finish line with a smile on her face.  Proud mama here!  Hubby finished the race in 19:54 (yeah he's fast), and ran back to find us so he could keep her company.  It was funny because he was trying to fuss over her "Can I give you a drink" "Can I wet your head"  "Do you need to walk"..... I finally said "we were in a fine rhythm, don't mess with it " LOL   

Yea!! Congrats to your daughter, the little Manatee. And, congrats to you and your wicked fast DH, too.

How was everyone else's races/weekend?

2010-06-28 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Hi Manatees - looks like everyone is staying busy busy busy.  We had an awesome vacation.  It was a whirlwind of going and doing.  The kiddo made it over the hump and is now a swimmer.  And, he thinks he is something HOT! 

On a very very sad note, a fellow rider of mine was hit and killed while riding her bike through an intersection last weekend.  She was 56 and had 2 kiddos (19 and 21) and was one of the sweetest people on the planet.  A distracted driver ran a red light and hit her.  It's just crazy.  If there are 20 of us riding, she would be the one that would stop at a stop sign, even if there were no cars around.  She was always so safe and cautious.  Our bike group put on a very sweet memorial at the crash site and placed a ghost bike there.  All of our news stations (except one) covered the accident and the memorial service.  Of course the city took the bike after a day or so, but we hope to have raised awareness to the drivers in the city to slow down and watch for cyclist.  I was sad to be out of town and not be able to attend the memorial service, but I still have the few minutes I spent riding with her the weekend before to look back upon. 

Stay safe out there manatees.

2010-06-28 2:42 PM

User image

Master

Ooops, double post.

Edited by crews 2010-06-28 2:43 PM
2010-06-28 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2948849

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Carla - I am glad to hear that your vacation was a blast and that your son loves swimming.  But I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. That is just awful.  You, your bike group, and her family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

2010-06-28 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2948933

User image

Master
Vista, CA

I really hate hearing about awful, terrible incidents like that Carla. I'm terribly sorry for your loss. What community do you live in ie: newspaper, if you don't mind saying. I'd like to read about the incident.

Glad your vacation went well though.

Ours starts tomorrow. We are traveling back to In (we live in CA) to visit cousins. Lots of lake swimming and some running but probably not much cycling, unfortunately.

Quincy, how was your race?

Lynn

2010-06-28 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2949039

User image

Master
lmscozz - 2010-06-28 3:49 PM

I really hate hearing about awful, terrible incidents like that Carla. I'm terribly sorry for your loss. What community do you live in ie: newspaper, if you don't mind saying. I'd like to read about the incident.

Ours starts tomorrow. We are traveling back to In (we live in CA) to visit cousins. Lots of lake swimming and some running but probably not much cycling, unfortunately.

Lynn

I live in Little Rock, Arkansas.  Her name was Marilyn Fulper.  It was on almost all of the news stations and in the paper.  I read through some of the comments that the public is allowed to leave on the stories.  They absolutely make me sick.  I wish more people would live by the "if you don't have anything nice to say" rule.  There are plenty of stories to read about the incident...but know that I am super embarrassed of the comments some of these folks left.
2010-06-28 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ugh, just catching up here...working on my race report...I try to put some thought into them...

Karen, so sorry you fell...I am still in recovery mode over here...
Carla-I am sick about your friend, such a waste, such an avoidable thing, so sad.  I wish bicycles owned the road with cars making an occasional and unwelcome appearance.
Lynn, how did YOUR race go?  Did you get the Puerto Rico?  (that's what we call 'em in my house, say it with an outrageous Spanish accent, it sounds awesome).
Ryan???
Allison???

Just a quick recap of my race...
The swim:  How in Quincytricrazytown did the swim portion end up being my favorite part???  Besides the part where my wave was the 40+ women.  That's it.  The last age group for the rest of my life.  I feel so empty.

The torture bike:  Ryan close your ears...the bike portion involved burning pain (7 on a scale of 1-10) of my back and "lady parts."  It was horrible.  Like leave a mark horrible.  Apparently "nothing new on race day" means go test your new saddle out on a longish ride after you wreck your bike.  I am not on speaking terms with Lola LeMond and her S&M buddy "Black Italia Saddle."  They can go 'eff themselves. I am sure I lost at least a mile per hour if not more...I only kept my speed up in the hopes of getting the whole thing over with faster.  I quit triathlon and cycling between miles 12 and 20.  Dark times.

The run.  I learned new, interesting things like...I am NOT a trail runner, I don't like running on mud, and anger does not enhance my performance.  Lynn, for you, I did not barf, but I did fall down after the finish line.  The only thing I remember hearing on my way to the finish was one of the spectators yelling, "YEAH, AWESOME PAIN FACE!"  Looking forward to the pix...

Can't wait to hear how all the other races went this w.e.

Edited by quincyf 2010-06-28 4:58 PM

2010-06-28 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Carla- sorry for your loss.  What a horrible story.  It sounds like she was a lovely person and I am sure she will be deeply missed by all who knew her.  
2010-06-28 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Race report is up...thanks for reading...
2010-06-29 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2949095

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2010-06-29 5:11 AM
lmscozz - 2010-06-28 3:49 PM

Lynn

I live in Little Rock, Arkansas.  Her name was Marilyn Fulper.  It was on almost all of the news stations and in the paper.  I read through some of the comments that the public is allowed to leave on the stories.  They absolutely make me sick.  I wish more people would live by the "if you don't have anything nice to say" rule.  There are plenty of stories to read about the incident...but know that I am super embarrassed of the comments some of these folks left.
Some people are crap. I feel sorry for them and thank my lucky stars that I get to be ME. Seriously, that's how I view azzholes.Many prayers and thoughts for you, your fellow riders, and Marilyn's family and friends. I feel for you, and them all, at this time. I was thinking about flying back to Jakarta for my own friends and their parents' memorial service, but they said it was a really crazy time (and I know it'll be better for me to go when the shock of it all wears off and they are really feeling it). My brother stepped up to the plate and has been helping them with a lot of details, as have other friends. (My brother is kind of emotionless, but very energetic and resourceful, which makes him the perfect person to have around during a crisis). It's been painful.In other news, I'm slowly getting over the dengue fever. I have started on my Ironman training plan, but am taking everything VERY easy. Still in a lot of physical pain and very tired. I know I significantly extended my recovery time by doing the triathlon, but it gave me something I cherish: hope.
2010-06-29 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2950416

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Hi all.
Q- Great race and race report!  Congrats on completing your 1st Olympic distance.

I didn't race this weekend. My mind wasn't really into it (long story which I will try to summarize on here).  I was staying at my parent's house this weekend before the race (I only see them probably 6 times/year). I noticed my dad's hand shaking a little bit when he was resting but didn't think too much about it really. Then later on Saturday, I saw him throw down a wrench in aggravation and he is usually pretty cool-tempered.  Well long story short I come to find out he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. They were going to tell me after I raced and before I went home as my Dad didn't want to tell me before the race. 
Usually I can use things like this to motivate me but I just couldn't get it together for race day...my mind just wasn't in it especially with my dad being there. So I decided to just spend some time with my family last weekend and my dad and I actually went on a bike ride together instead.  Thanks for listening everyone...I am glad that I have my manatees.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60