BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-19 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3508177

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
scraver - 2011-05-19 12:20 PM

Sherri's Stupid Question of the Day (5-19-11):

Bike vs. run.  When I run, my heart gets going pretty high, I get out of breath.  I can really push it if I want.  But when I bike *(I've mostly been doing spin class and using a stationery bike - need to get outside more, I know) my heart rate doesn't get up like it does with running.  I don't really get out of breath... in fact, it seems my legs get tired long b/f my lungs do and I SWEAT.  I mean, dripping off of me, gross, sweating.  I sweat when I run, but not like that.  Why is that?  Should I be pushing harder on the bike?

Ice is right on the cadence, lower cadence bigger gear requires more leg strength.  It has taken me a long time (even now I don't always do it) to work as hard as I should on the bike.  I have to really focus and when on the trainer I usually try to have a structured workout so I have some way to measure my effort.

As far as the sweating goes, for me it is more a matter of lack of air in the spin classes.  At home on the trainer I have two fans on as high as they can go.

2011-05-19 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I don't know if you guys caught this but it is a pretty good article on building bike endurance by Coach Troy Jacobson.  If you don't know he is the spinnervals coach who most of us that do these DVD's love to cuss at! 

Here is the link!
2011-05-19 2:36 PM

User image

Toronto-ish
Subject: swimmer's shoulder

What's the recommended treatment path for dealing with swimmer's shoulder?

Looks like I've overdone the training and shoulder is giving me grief. Is it a matter of stay out of the water until there's no pain? Just swim less/easier? Or train through it?

2011-05-19 5:18 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
scraver - 2011-05-19 11:20 AM

Bike vs. run.  When I run, my heart gets going pretty high, I get out of breath.  I can really push it if I want.  But when I bike *(I've mostly been doing spin class and using a stationery bike - need to get outside more, I know) my heart rate doesn't get up like it does with running.  I don't really get out of breath... in fact, it seems my legs get tired long b/f my lungs do and I SWEAT.  I mean, dripping off of me, gross, sweating.  I sweat when I run, but not like that.  Why is that?  Should I be pushing harder on the bike?

Hey Sherri - no such thing as stupid questions here!!!! One thing I have found with doing classes. The first few times I really really feel it with HR through the roof. But, the more I attend a class (such as a spin class) I find my comfort zone more easily.  Once I find the comfort zone it can be hard to push harder. Goes the same for running. Once I slowed down, my HR followed. Now it can be hard sometimes to get my HR up as I mentally don't want to "feel the pain" Try increasing your cadence during class - I bet you can get your HR up!

you probably sweat just as much running as you do in class. The difference is there is no wind drying (evaporating) the sweat. I am not much of a sweater - but I can soak a towel while on the trainer.

2011-05-19 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3508308

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
acv - 2011-05-19 12:24 PM

(No real content hear just venting)

Phew…3 trips to the LBS and finally I got the right tube for my tire.

I’m not a bike “expert” but thank goodness I know something about bikes. Some shops are friendlier than other and this shop is a couple stores down from my office so it’s really convenient and thats about it.

I walked in and had my old tube with me and asked for a replacement. They gave me one that was wider than the one I had. I wasn’t exactly sure of the tire size (hence the reason for taking the old tube to the shop since the size is printed on the tube) but I knew the tube they gave me was wider, about a ½” wider. I even walked back in the store to question it.

Anyway I get back to my office and look up the tire spec and find out it’s a 700x23c. They gave me a 700x28, maybe that would have fit but why not just give me the 23.

I don't think I would be very happy. I think I would try to remember that guy and next time seek out other help. Hopefully somebody competent works there.

2011-05-19 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3508579

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: swimmer's shoulder
marvintpa - 2011-05-19 2:36 PM

Looks like I've overdone the training and shoulder is giving me grief. Is it a matter of stay out of the water until there's no pain? Just swim less/easier? Or train through it?

I am interested in the answer to this question as well. I know Iceman RICE!!!! But, I have been having arm/shoulder problems off and on for months and Swimming aggrevates it.  RICE has worked only so much. So as Tom asked - to swim or not to swim?

2011-05-19 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3506409

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Viyoung - 2011-05-18 1:02 PM Here's a better picture of my bike, hopefully this works

Very pretty!  I hope you are enjoying it.

2011-05-19 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
scraver - 2011-05-19 10:20 AM

Your heart rate is naturally going to be higher when you run vs bike (or swim) as you are exerting more energy by moving your whole body.  Regarding the sweating, I agree with everyone else. Riding in a spin class becomes like riding in a sauna after 10 minutes or so. Everyone is heating the place up and there is little to no ventilation. I was in a spin class once and all the mirrors were totally fogged up at the end. I am a heavy sweater and I sweat more when I run but in a spin class it is about even. 

2011-05-19 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Thanks everyone for your support. Things are looking up and after the initial blow of the job and house loss, I was just happy we still have our rental.  Not being so invovled with the house hunt has allowed me to start focusing on my training again, something that I have not been so great at lately. 

I finally got into the pool yesterday (and in the morning!).  I would really like to start some OWS but with the weather we have been having who knows when it will be warm enough. We have had rain for days which isn't usual for us in CO and it is really taking its toll on people.  There is a tri in two weeks that I was thinking of doing but I can't imagine the water temp being managable (for me). Now there are others who have already started swimming outdoors. 50 something water temp and 30s outside. I don't know how they do it!

My training hours have really picked up this week. I have about 11.5 hours scheduled this week. I have not hit every workout in many weeks but my goal is to get everyone in this week.  I know that it is only going to get worse (longer training weeks) but once I get in the right mind set I should be good to go.  

How does everyone stay motivated.. or better yet, what motivates you to train? 

2011-05-19 11:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Injuries suck.  Without a sports doctor we are guessing at best.  Suggestion I've heard is acute pain, stop.  Rest it.  Don't try to train through it. 

Chronic pain is something else. We have to look at form on the bike, the run, the swim.  Prevention like yoga, stretching, rollers. Anti inflammatory meds like ibuprofen.   Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate.  

I've learned to listen...at least starting to listen to my body.  Doing the maintenance.  Working so far this year.

Official time on Tuesday Time Trial was 21.45 mph average over 12.5 miles.  That was with 15 to 20 seconds lost trying to clip in.  I did 300 watts, which is 98% FTP.  Felt good about that all considering it was the first time the TT bike was out of the basement.  Good swim this morning, good bike tonight.  Yesterday, I ran a 10K at 9 to 9:15/mile which is good for me, especially since I was getting sick and had stomach cramps. Lost my supper later in the evening.  All good now.

2011-05-20 4:43 AM
in reply to: #3509086

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-05-19 9:37 PM

Thanks everyone for your support. Things are looking up and after the initial blow of the job and house loss, I was just happy we still have our rental.  Not being so invovled with the house hunt has allowed me to start focusing on my training again, something that I have not been so great at lately. 

I finally got into the pool yesterday (and in the morning!).  I would really like to start some OWS but with the weather we have been having who knows when it will be warm enough. We have had rain for days which isn't usual for us in CO and it is really taking its toll on people.  There is a tri in two weeks that I was thinking of doing but I can't imagine the water temp being managable (for me). Now there are others who have already started swimming outdoors. 50 something water temp and 30s outside. I don't know how they do it!

My training hours have really picked up this week. I have about 11.5 hours scheduled this week. I have not hit every workout in many weeks but my goal is to get everyone in this week.  I know that it is only going to get worse (longer training weeks) but once I get in the right mind set I should be good to go.  

How does everyone stay motivated.. or better yet, what motivates you to train? 

Good to hear that you are doing ok with everything Kathleen! 

Some days motivation is a challenge for me, as I suspect it is everyone.  Especially lately with it raining everyday. 
An upcoming race or meeting someone for a workout helps.  Or in some cases, like this week I just drop back a little so it doesn't seem so forced. 

2011-05-20 4:45 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-05-19 3:36 PM

Tough to diagnose over the internet, but my suggestion would be to give it a few days of rest and if it doesn't improve have it looked at by a doctor.  But if it is truly just from jumping back into the training a bit too hard, a few days with maybe a little ice and ibuprofen should take care of it. 
2011-05-20 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3509253

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
IceManScott - 2011-05-20 12:52 AM

Injuries suck.  Without a sports doctor we are guessing at best.  Suggestion I've heard is acute pain, stop.  Rest it.  Don't try to train through it. 

Chronic pain is something else. We have to look at form on the bike, the run, the swim.  Prevention like yoga, stretching, rollers. Anti inflammatory meds like ibuprofen.   Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate.  

I've learned to listen...at least starting to listen to my body.  Doing the maintenance.  Working so far this year.

Official time on Tuesday Time Trial was 21.45 mph average over 12.5 miles.  That was with 15 to 20 seconds lost trying to clip in.  I did 300 watts, which is 98% FTP.  Felt good about that all considering it was the first time the TT bike was out of the basement.  Good swim this morning, good bike tonight.  Yesterday, I ran a 10K at 9 to 9:15/mile which is good for me, especially since I was getting sick and had stomach cramps. Lost my supper later in the evening.  All good now.

Ice,

Thats pretty impressive - I dream to be able to do that! Nice job.

2011-05-20 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3509486

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-05-20 8:41 AM

Ice,

I agree!

But after watching Ice's training volume and consistancy the last year or so, especially on the bike it is not surprising!
2011-05-20 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
marvintpa - 2011-05-19 3:36 PM

One thing I always think about is what's the pain like is it a sharp shooting pain or a dull aching pain. Then I think about where is the pain. Is it in your muscle, tendon or joint.

Any sharp pains or pains not in a muscle should be suspect and watched closely. Sometimes the best thing is to go out and do a slow, less intense workout to help the muscles recover. But if you pulled a tendon or muscle any workout will make the problem worse.

After my first long bike ride this year I freaked out and thought I pulled a hamsrtring or tore a muscle tendon. I raised my leg to step over a one of the baby gates we have in the house and I had a sharp shooting very intense pain in my hamstring. It turned out to be nothing just a sore muscle after the bike ride.

Right now my kness are a little sore but getting better. I had a little bought with a cold this week and pushed a little too hard on my last long bike ride. Live and learn or suffer....Ice, advil and lot's of fluids are all good friends.

2011-05-20 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3509502

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2011-05-20 8:47 AM
acv - 2011-05-20 8:41 AM

Ice,

I agree!

But after watching Ice's training volume and consistancy the last year or so, especially on the bike it is not surprising!

It does make all the training worth it when you get results like these!

2011-05-20 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Spare tire question-

Do you inflate your spare tire before stuff it into your saddle bag to make sure it holds air? I replaced my tube yesterday (rode over a piece of glass ) and it turned that the tube I had in my saddle bag had a hole in it. I didn't figure this out until last night when I checked the tire again.

The only problem I see is getting the air out of it again to make flat and compact.

2011-05-20 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3509542

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-05-20 9:07 AM

Spare tire question-

Do you inflate your spare tire before stuff it into your saddle bag to make sure it holds air? I replaced my tube yesterday (rode over a piece of glass ) and it turned that the tube I had in my saddle bag had a hole in it. I didn't figure this out until last night when I checked the tire again.

The only problem I see is getting the air out of it again to make flat and compact.

I don't because of it comes in a neat little wrapped up package that fits nicely in the under the seat bag.  Fortunately I have never had that happen!
2011-05-20 8:28 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Making my rounds this morning to your training logs I noticed a couple of things;

First, you guys are all working hard and being very consistant! Great job. 

Second, we had a couple of birthdays in the group the last day or 2, I wont embarrass anyone by calling them out here, but if you inspire your mentor mates, you can figure it out! Cool
2011-05-20 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Thanks guys.  I'm enjoying the year.  My PR on that course is over 1 mph faster ....if I ever get good at clipping in, maybe I'll see it again! 

I do like being quick on the bike enough to pass the young ones.  I know in a triathlon I'll see their backs again on the run, but what the hell.

I generally don't test tubes.  Probably should.

Have a great weekend.

2011-05-20 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3509630

User image

Expert

Hey, everyone! Sorry I haven't checked in in awhile. Very busy week, one of my assistants has been out sick all week, and since it's just me and my 4 employees, when one is gone it gets hard. Also, I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I keep getting logged off of BT. I try to post something, and then I can't because I get logged off. I clear my cookies which is the recommended fix, and it's OK for a little while, but then it starts again. If I failed to respond to anybody's "inspires", I apologize.

I have been checking everyone's logs frequently and you are all doing great stuff! Keep up the good work everybody!

I finally posted my RR from my duathlon last weekend. It is already a very challenging, extremely hilly race, and it was rainy and foggy which added to the challenge. I was hoping for some good pictures, but 600 pics online and none of me. Here's a couple to give you an idea of what it was like.

The run is on trails with some very steep climbs. Again, not me in the pics:

One part of the bike was very foggy. This was a steep downhill where I was doing about 35 MPH while up out of aero and feathering the brakes a little:

It was a great race. The second run was mentally challenging, and I was thinking of you all for a little extra motivation. Thanks!

2011-05-20 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Wow - that looks like a beautiful race! Ilook forward to reading your RR!

I love trail running - haven't been able to get out for a trail run yet.  The lower trails are just now snow free. hmmmm. got me thinking maybe tomorrow!

2011-05-20 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3510212

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
amschrod - 2011-05-20 2:20 PM

Hey, everyone! Sorry I haven't checked in in awhile. Very busy week, one of my assistants has been out sick all week, and since it's just me and my 4 employees, when one is gone it gets hard. Also, I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I keep getting logged off of BT. I try to post something, and then I can't because I get logged off. I clear my cookies which is the recommended fix, and it's OK for a little while, but then it starts again. If I failed to respond to anybody's "inspires", I apologize.

I have been checking everyone's logs frequently and you are all doing great stuff! Keep up the good work everybody!

I finally posted my RR from my duathlon last weekend. It is already a very challenging, extremely hilly race, and it was rainy and foggy which added to the challenge. I was hoping for some good pictures, but 600 pics online and none of me. Here's a couple to give you an idea of what it was like.

The run is on trails with some very steep climbs. Again, not me in the pics:

One part of the bike was very foggy. This was a steep downhill where I was doing about 35 MPH while up out of aero and feathering the brakes a little:

It was a great race. The second run was mentally challenging, and I was thinking of you all for a little extra motivation. Thanks!

That second guy doesn't look like he is enjoying himself!  Nice looking paths to run on though!
2011-05-21 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Good Luck to all that are racing this weekend..Hope everyone has a great weekend....
2011-05-21 12:41 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland
Hey hope everyone is having a good weekend. Just got back from 9.5 mi on the new bike. I only fell once! Yea for progress! Its a beautiful day here in Maryland so I'm off to enjoy the rest of it with my family. Have a good one!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72