BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-06-09 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3540576

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
jsiegs - 2011-06-09 9:23 AM

@Christy - I am definitely NOT jealous of the heat back home!  Denver has been wonderful!  Hot/humid runs are tough, just make sure to prepare for them (hydrate!!!) and respect the heat (not go too hard).  You'll be fine though Bmore summers and come out stronger on the other side

Lastly, I remember seeings this awhile ago, but a friend just posted one of the "rules" on her facebook and it made me smile, so I thought I'd share: http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/ (it's slightly NSFW - some swearing in the text, FYI).

Obey the rules!

eta: correct link; http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/[/QUOTE]

Don't come home!!  It is horrible here.  It's 98 degrees and it's not even noon.  I think there is 500% humidity too.

I can't possibly obey so many rules.  I'm not even sure I can read that many rules!

Have a safe trip.

Christy 

2011-06-09 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3540397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
djb45 - 2011-06-09 8:15 AM

Randy, thanks for asking about the TI training. I've only had one hour so far and several emails. Coach Bob had a USC trip/camp planned.

I am trying to apply a few tips I received in the pool. Some days I feel it, some days I don't. He mainly has me work on keeping my arms/hands on wide track, keeping my head down (almost looking backwards in pool) really reaching forward with one arm and keeping it there and inching my hip up to get even more stretch forward.

Does all this feel awkward until it becomes natural?

It will be awkward for awhile.  I think anytime you change the way you are used to doing something, it feels strange.  Keep it up and it will feel natural soon.

Christy

2011-06-09 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I need some bike help.  When I'm in my aero bars, I'm slower than when I'm out of them.  My cadance goes down and I don't feel like I can push as hard.   I'm guessing this isn't normal.  I've had a bike fit (twice).  Could it be my fit?  Or am I using different muscles? Does it just take some getting used to? 

Thanks
Christy

2011-06-09 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

I also have a question for the group. Today at the chiropractor (I'm seeing chiro + massage for a few weeks to help with my hips and it's working WONDERS) the massage therapist was saying that I don't have strength issues/muscle imbalances, but that my muscles are 'sticking' together with the connective tissues (I have heard this many times before from different massage and PTs). Then she said, "you just need to get your muscles to work more efficiently." 

Any clue what she would have meant by this? Might it be related to recovery? I am always curious whether working out before I go to bed is causing problems for me. I know you're supposed to eat protein after workouts to help with 'recovery," but I just run/bike/swim, stretch and foam roll, and then go to sleep.

And while I'm at it, what does 'recovery' actually mean anyway and how do you properly do it? 

2011-06-10 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3541899

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
nmladic - 2011-06-09 9:44 PM

I also have a question for the group. Today at the chiropractor (I'm seeing chiro + massage for a few weeks to help with my hips and it's working WONDERS) the massage therapist was saying that I don't have strength issues/muscle imbalances, but that my muscles are 'sticking' together with the connective tissues (I have heard this many times before from different massage and PTs). Then she said, "you just need to get your muscles to work more efficiently." 

Any clue what she would have meant by this? Might it be related to recovery? I am always curious whether working out before I go to bed is causing problems for me. I know you're supposed to eat protein after workouts to help with 'recovery," but I just run/bike/swim, stretch and foam roll, and then go to sleep.

And while I'm at it, what does 'recovery' actually mean anyway and how do you properly do it? 

I have never heard of muscles sticking together.  I googled it and read that when you are dehydrated they can "stick together" and cause painful triger points.  I also found this article.  http://www.londonphysiocentre.co.uk/muscles.htm  It is interesting.  I've never heard of the site so I'm not 100% sure they know what they are talking about, but I figured it was a starting point.

I can't belive you don't eat after you workout at night.  I have to eat.  After I cool down and shower, I'm starving.  I have heard from numerous people that you have a small window to replenish (Is that spelled right?)  glycogen and repair your muscles.  I believe you need carbs and protein and you have about 30 min to eat it, in order to get the max. benifit.    I'm no expert, this is just what i've read and been told.  I find the easiest way is a reovery drink.  A lot of times i'm more than 30 min from home when I work out.  It's easier for me to get some water and bring a pack of recovery with me.  I use Hammer Recoverite.  But there are tons of stuff out there.  If I'm close to home, I love a peanut butter fold over on whole wheat bread and a glass of milk. 

I also believe the duration and intinsity of the exersice matters.  If I do a short/easy work out, I don't worry too much about recovery food.  I could be wrong in doing this. 

I'm glad the massage/chiro is working for you!

Christy

2011-06-10 6:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

REST DAY!!!!  I've never looked forward to a rest day more than this one.  I need it.  I have a long ride/ 20 min run tomorrow.  Then it looks like I have a 2 week taper before my race.  Seems like a long time to taper. 

I'm going to try to make tomorrow as much like my race as I can.  I hope that will help me feel more comfortable going into it. It is 17 days away and I'm already sick to my stomach nervous. 

Have a great day!

Christy

2011-06-10 7:56 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX

Nicole and Christy, everything I read and my trainer confirms, is to eat some carbs and protein within 30-45 min. of working out for muscle recovery and development.

Christy, DON'T think about the race! Don't go there. Work hard and save the nerves for the day of. (I know, yea, right!).

2011-06-10 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3542204

User image

Master
South Alabama
djb45 - 2011-06-10 7:56 AM

Nicole and Christy, everything I read and my trainer confirms, is to eat some carbs and protein within 30-45 min. of working out for muscle recovery and development.

X2 on what Deb said.

Christy-not sure what to tell you about power in aero as compared to sitting up.  Tri bikes are set up to focus to some extent on stressing different areas than a road bike geometry.  Still mostly the same muscles but just a little variation.  I would suggest getting fit but you have been down that road and I would not look to change anything this close into a race. Do you feel "comfortable" in aero? as that is probably what is most important over the longer distances. 

You are 2 weeks out from your race so it is a pretty good time to do a "race rehearsal" 

I looked back on my workouts leading into my HIM last Fall.  I was using a coach at that time.  My workout 2 weeks prior was a 65 mile ride with a 4 mile run off the bike.  No set pace for the run other than to start "easy" and try to maintain a consistent comfortable pace.  On the bike I did "build intervals"  which was
30 minutes warm up;
45 minutes at 200 watts 
5-10 minutes easy
45 minutes at 210 watts
5-10 minutes easy
45 minutes at 220

This gave me 2.25 hours of riding at my planned race pace which is close to what I would be doing in the race.
My planned power pacing for the race was to be in the 210-215 watt range. The only reason I mention the watts is so you can compare your pacing to how hard you want to go whether you use HR Zones or RPE.  So, I didn't go all out in the training intervals. I also did a pretty hard bike workout a week prior to the race but remember thinking the coach was nuts.  You are welcome to look at my training logs for the weeks prior to my HIM which was 11/7/10.  Of course...do what is in your plan.  It has brought you this far

I really liked the HIM distance.  I think the big thing is to not overdo it on the bike.  I didn't hit my watts goals on the bike and felt like I had a poor bike leg as I had planned on being about 5-10 minutes faster.  BUT, I think it turned out for the best as I had a solid run where I never felt exhausted and was able to push the pace over the last few miles. 

Randy    

Edited by slornow 2011-06-10 9:12 AM
2011-06-10 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3542204

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Nicole, I'm with Christy here, I can't believe you don't eat after a workout! (I should practice what I preach!) I eat within an hour after my workouts, if I can. I say that because sometimes I go to the grocery store after a workout. anyway, you need protein to build and protect your muscles. Even if you eat dinner (which it seems like you do) before your workout, maybe have a protein drink after your workout.

Do you wake up hungry?

2011-06-10 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3542398

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Sorry I've been a little mia here - this weekend is my daughters birthday and it is consuming every minute of everyday right now. Monday I'll be back on full force, with diet and training. I have 6 weeks until my next race, and I feel super unprepared

2011-06-10 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3540576

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Lastly, I remember seeings this awhile ago, but a friend just posted one of the "rules" on her facebook and it made me smile, so I thought I'd share: http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/ (it's slightly NSFW - some swearing in the text, FYI).

Obey the rules!

eta: correct link; http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

Woah,I'm pretty sure I have broken 100% of those rules! LOL, thanks for sharing.

2011-06-10 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Karla, Randy, Deb, Christy - During the week, my schedule goes like this  -

Home from work around 7 p.m., make and eat dinner 7-8 p.m., get to the gym 8:30 p.m., workout 8:30 to 10-ish p.m., home by 10:30, in bed by about 11 p.m. 

The problem is that I am usually so full from dinner that after my workout I don't really have an appetite. Just the thought of eating something protein-y that late at night kind of makes me nauseous.  (Unfortunately.)  

I always eat breakfast in the morning, but it's not until around 8:30 or 9 when I get into the office. Usually I think around 400 or 500 calories worth. I'm not usually starving - I do a pretty good job of spreading out my calories throughout the day. The time of day I'm hungriest is usually around 6:30 p.m. when I'm getting ready for dinner.

I will try to keep hydrated during the day more (though I usually drink a lot of water) and also will look into some recovery drinks to use on the way home from the gym. 

For my longer workouts on the weekend that take place during the day, I usually DO eat after, but now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably not for like an hour or 2 after.  

Food is so challenging! Thanks for the info! Feel free to tell me more about recovery! 

2011-06-10 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3542472

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nicole-maybe get your nutrition in liquid form after your evening workout?  Chocolate milk has a good ratio of carbs/protein.  I like the milk chocolate flavor Ensure drinks.  They also have a good blend of carbs/protein.  Something easy that won't fill you up but still get you some nutrition.

Randy
2011-06-10 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3541479

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-06-09 4:41 PM

I need some bike help.  When I'm in my aero bars, I'm slower than when I'm out of them.  My cadance goes down and I don't feel like I can push as hard.   I'm guessing this isn't normal.  I've had a bike fit (twice).  Could it be my fit?  Or am I using different muscles? Does it just take some getting used to? 

Thanks
Christy

Were you fit in your aero bars or on the hoods? It sounds like your aerobars fit is off. Can you post a pic from the side? If possible, get yourself pedaling naturally and get a photo (or movie) with your leg at full extension and at the top of your stroke. If you just hold your leg in a position, it probably won't be what you naturally would do, so ask someone to snap 20 pics quickly, and 1-2 will be good.
2011-06-10 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3542448

User image

Master
Baltimore
nmladic - 2011-06-10 10:30 AM

Obey the rules!

eta: correct link; http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

Woah,I'm pretty sure I have broken 100% of those rules! LOL, thanks for sharing.

. Haha, so have I. The first bunch are funny, then they start to get a little pedantic and mean though.
2011-06-10 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3541899

User image

Master
Baltimore
nmladic - 2011-06-09 10:44 PM

. I can't believe you can eat so much before a workout and nothing after! If you find you can't because you're too full, maybe eat a little less beforehand. Do you wake up starving? I think I would. Getting calories (both carbs and protein) after a workout is pretty essential. Carbs replenish your glycogen stores and protein helps to build and repair damaged muscles. Without the carbs, you'll end up overly fatigued the next day because you're calorie deficient. Without protein (which is good to have after a very strenuous workout, but for regular workouts the protein you eat over the course of the day should be enough, if you're eating enough that is) your muscles can't rebuild and recover after the workout. Your tear them down working out and they need to build back up stranger than they started. Without protein, they don't build up (and you may be losing the benefit of the workout) and will stay sore fore longer. We're not bodybuilder, so we don't need extreme protein, and a 3-1 ratio of carbs to protein (about milk) have been scientifically found to be best for enourance athletes for recovery (in all senses that I mentioned). I need to caveat that I am sponsored by two companies that sell a recovery specific drink (ReGen) and a Greek yogurt that is promoted as a protein source for athletes (stonyfield Oikos yogurt). Nothing of what I've said is their marketing though, it's what I'd learned previous to partnering with those companies.

2011-06-10 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3542567

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
jsiegs - 2011-06-10 10:28 AM

. I can't believe you can eat so much before a workout and nothing after! If you find you can't because you're too full, maybe eat a little less beforehand. Do you wake up starving? I think I would. Getting calories (both carbs and protein) after a workout is pretty essential. Carbs replenish your glycogen stores and protein helps to build and repair damaged muscles. Without the carbs, you'll end up overly fatigued the next day because you're calorie deficient. Without protein (which is good to have after a very strenuous workout, but for regular workouts the protein you eat over the course of the day should be enough, if you're eating enough that is) your muscles can't rebuild and recover after the workout. Your tear them down working out and they need to build back up stranger than they started. Without protein, they don't build up (and you may be losing the benefit of the workout) and will stay sore fore longer. We're not bodybuilder, so we don't need extreme protein, and a 3-1 ratio of carbs to protein (about milk) have been scientifically found to be best for enourance athletes for recovery (in all senses that I mentioned). I need to caveat that I am sponsored by two companies that sell a recovery specific drink (ReGen) and a Greek yogurt that is promoted as a protein source for athletes (stonyfield Oikos yogurt). Nothing of what I've said is their marketing though, it's what I'd learned previous to partnering with those companies.

I don't wake up starving ... But I don't think I really wake up until after I'm already at work and have had a full cup of coffee though. Sometimes I sleep the entire hour-plus commute into my office (train). I usually get hungry right around 9:00 (I wake up around 6:30). 

My calories are fine, as far as I know. I plan for about 1,900 per day and then I usually add a snack like a few MnMs or anything chocolate that I just can't resist. If I get hungry, I eat. I haven't gained or lost weight since I started this season's training, but I think I have gained muscle, since my friends are telling me I look like I've lost weight. I don't really concern myself too much with it. I've been thinking that when I do like 3 hours of working out on the weekends I probably need to eat more than usual but haven't done anything formal to ensure that happens. 

Re: your suggestion about milk -- Do we need anything special from dairy? Can it be soymilk? I have weird digestive issues. Drinking milk that late would wake me up in the middle of the night. I could probably do a little greek yogurt or a glass of soymilk. Thanks for your feedback. 

I will try to be better about this! Gonna go fill up a water now.

2011-06-10 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3542642

User image

Master
Baltimore
nmladic - 2011-06-10 12:06 PM
jsiegs - 2011-06-10 10:28 AM

I don't wake up starving ... But I don't think I really wake up until after I'm already at work and have had a full cup of coffee though. Sometimes I sleep the entire hour-plus commute into my office (train). I usually get hungry right around 9:00 (I wake up around 6:30). 

My calories are fine, as far as I know. I plan for about 1,900 per day and then I usually add a snack like a few MnMs or anything chocolate that I just can't resist. If I get hungry, I eat. I haven't gained or lost weight since I started this season's training, but I think I have gained muscle, since my friends are telling me I look like I've lost weight. I don't really concern myself too much with it. I've been thinking that when I do like 3 hours of working out on the weekends I probably need to eat more than usual but haven't done anything formal to ensure that happens. 

Re: your suggestion about milk -- Do we need anything special from dairy? Can it be soymilk? I have weird digestive issues. Drinking milk that late would wake me up in the middle of the night. I could probably do a little greek yogurt or a glass of soymilk. Thanks for your feedback. 

I will try to be better about this! Gonna go fill up a water now.

As far as I'm concerned, protein is protein. As you mentioned some may be more easily digestible than others. Different sources have different ratios of amino acids, blah blah blah, lots of marketing speak on my canister of protein powder that may be true, but I don't really care about that. Hard boil some eggs and eat just the whites for a quick after workout snack. For me, it's all about ease of getting it, so protein powder and milk, eggs, yogurt , (ReGen ), are my favorites just because it's quick and easy.
2011-06-11 5:48 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning everyone-headed out for a longish ride and maybe a short run.  Enjoy your Saturday.

Randy
2011-06-11 6:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Any thoughts on biking in the rain?  It looks like rain here.  I'm going to go out and give it a try.

Christy

2011-06-11 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3543612

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-06-11 7:57 AM

Any thoughts on biking in the rain?  It looks like rain here.  I'm going to go out and give it a try.

Christy

That's what bike trainers are for . It's actually not too bad if it's warm, I'd just be worried about t-storms today. If you do, take corners a little more carefully and don't ride on painted lines (they get very slick when wet). The glasses situation is tough, if you have clear lenses thy work well to keep the rain from stinging your eyes, but are tough to see through when wet...a real catch 22. I'm thinking about trying out the mountain bike today, I bet thats fun in the rain.

Edited by jsiegs 2011-06-11 9:46 AM

2011-06-11 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3543730

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Ran 5 miles this afternoon, just waiting for family swim to end at the re-opened pool and then I can do my hour swim. 

2.25 hr. bike ride tomorrow.

Gonna go see Bridesmaids tonight with one of my BFFs. And TONS of cleaning and laundry to do. I swear, triathletes must have more dirty laundry than any athlete ... 

2011-06-11 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3543978

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nicole-my daughter said Bridesmaids was hysterical.

Good day here.  53 mile ride with 20 minute easy run off the bike.  Hot but I got an early start.  Relaxing afternoon then a couple of hours of powerwashing around the house.  Easy longish run tomorrow.

Randy
2011-06-11 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3543730

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-06-11 9:46 AM
cbrookhart - 2011-06-11 7:57 AM

Christy

That's what bike trainers are for . It's actually not too bad if it's warm, I'd just be worried about t-storms today. If you do, take corners a little more carefully and don't ride on painted lines (they get very slick when wet). The glasses situation is tough, if you have clear lenses thy work well to keep the rain from stinging your eyes, but are tough to see through when wet...a real catch 22. I'm thinking about trying out the mountain bike today, I bet thats fun in the rain.

I went and didn't get rained on!  And had the best ride ever!!!  I'm not sure if it was the day off yesterday, or what, but I felt great.  51 miles and a 2.5 mile run.  It was awesome.  Then a house warming party for some friends.  I feel it was a night of bad decisions.  Or at least I think I'll feel that way tomorrow when my kids wake me up.  I just realized it is only 9:30.  Wow....I'm old.

Christy

2011-06-12 6:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Good morning,

Not feeling too bad this morning Smile.  

My ride yesterday was great.  I felt like something finally clicked on the bike.  I told my sister I found a magic gear.  I could keep my cadnace up without a lot of effort and still keep my speed up.  I also figured out that I would be a lot faster without so many hills Smile.  My sister does not believe there is a magic gear, just training paying off.  She could be right, but it felt like a magic gear.  My average speed was higher than any other ride I've done and I still felt pretty good on the run.  I did get out of my sadle on a lot of the hills.  I think that was a bad idea.  Guessing my legs would have felt better on the run if I hadn't.    That said, I felt like I could have run more.  All in all I'm really happy with it.  I think it has given me the confidence I need for the race.

My nutrition was pretty good too, I think.  I might need to set a timer on my garmin to remember to eat.  I was enjoying my ride so much yesterday, I didn't want to eat.  Not exactly sure why.  But I had to make myself.  I had no problem with my stomach on the run. 

I also need to find a headband that actually keeps sweat from getting in my eyes.  That was really painful. 

On my way to the park I was feeling sorry for myself that I didn't have anyone to ride with.  Last year I always met my sister or some friends.  It was a fun social thing.  Training is kind of lonely now. 

Christy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56