BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-02-03 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4026660

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
fitmomma2010 - 2012-02-02 8:30 PM
peterflagg - 2012-02-02 9:23 AMSo as I posted the other day I can finally run again after clearance from the Dr. Well, basically have to start the whole c25k over again however when I ran today I did it at a 6.0 on the dreadmill. That is a new best for me. Super stoked about it. I mean I know that I will not be on a podium anytime soon unless I race only like 4 people and I will hope one of them are like super old but I can dream. IM kona I will not be there this year but maybe next year. Lol!
Peter That is awesome! 6.2 is my max and I can only do that pace by doing run/walk/run. I see Kona in your future as well. And I am always right- just ask my husband- lol.Shelly
Congrats Pete! You will get faster and faster. Did you know that for every pound of weight lost it equals approx. 2 seconds per better on your mile time for the same effort? Assuming that its fat that is lost and not muscle. Cool huh! Of course it also works the other way around. Ughhhhhh (my issue)My plan is to outlast everyone. So i will be "that guy" the 90 year old kicking A$$ in Kona!

2012-02-03 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4027850

Rochester
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

oriolepwr - 2012-02-03 1:24 PM
fitmomma2010 - 2012-02-02 8:30 PM
peterflagg - 2012-02-02 9:23 AMSo as I posted the other day I can finally run again after clearance from the Dr. Well, basically have to start the whole c25k over again however when I ran today I did it at a 6.0 on the dreadmill. That is a new best for me. Super stoked about it. I mean I know that I will not be on a podium anytime soon unless I race only like 4 people and I will hope one of them are like super old but I can dream. IM kona I will not be there this year but maybe next year. Lol!
Peter That is awesome! 6.2 is my max and I can only do that pace by doing run/walk/run. I see Kona in your future as well. And I am always right- just ask my husband- lol.Shelly
Congrats Pete! You will get faster and faster. Did you know that for every pound of weight lost it equals approx. 2 seconds per better on your mile time for the same effort? Assuming that its fat that is lost and not muscle. Cool huh! Of course it also works the other way around. Ughhhhhh (my issue)My plan is to outlast everyone. So i will be "that guy" the 90 year old kicking A$$ in Kona!

It is funny I was thinking today, hey since my ankle surgery I have cut off approx 2 min a mile and if I can now have 2 more ankle surgeries then I should be running a 6 min mile. With that I can probably win a ton of tournaments. LOL. Boy do I wish that was so true.

2012-02-04 12:15 AM
in reply to: #4028734

User image

Sacramento, CA
Alright....I am logging and blogging again! It is a start!Embarassed
2012-02-04 6:32 AM
in reply to: #4026538

User image

peterflagg - 2012-02-02 7:28 PM
Ybeal - 2012-02-02 11:26 AM

peterflagg - 2012-02-02 10:23 AM So as I posted the other day I can finally run again after clearance from the Dr. Well, basically have to start the whole c25k over again however when I ran today I did it at a 6.0 on the dreadmill. That is a new best for me. Super stoked about it. I mean I know that I will not be on a podium anytime soon unless I race only like 4 people and I will hope one of them are like super old but I can dream. IM kona I will not be there this year but maybe next year. Lol!

LOL, you can race more than 4 people, but you only want four people in your age group! Wink

That makes me think of the 1/2 half marathon I did, Kiawah Island, the 1/2 was one loop and the full was two....I'm trucking along thinking I'm doing pretty good, about a mile from the finish line and then I got passed by the soon-to-be winner of the marathon! LOL guess I wasn't the speed demon I thought I was

It would be nice to have only 4 total, I figured that would give me the best odds of just plan out winning the tri. I am going to start calling nursing homes next week to see if I can set up some challenges with the people that use walkers in their facility. LOL

When I ran Grandma's marathon in Duluth last year, there were 4 guys that had run every running of it since its inception sometime in the 70's (I forget the exact year), but these guys were all in their 60's at least.  I know for a fact that one of them beat my time!  It was very humbling and really cool at the same time to know that.

2012-02-04 6:38 AM
in reply to: #4027798

User image

oriolepwr - 2012-02-03 12:06 PM
mjh1975 - 2012-02-02 4:55 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-02 3:35 PM
mjh1975 - 2012-02-02 10:30 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-01 9:24 PM
mjh1975 - 2012-02-01 9:04 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-01 8:03 PM

Today I registered for my 70.3 for this year, as well as the Chicago Marathon!    ouch! 

The race director has spoken (DW)   My 70.3 is Door County on July 22.  

Door County Video!

So with the Illinois marathon in late April,  Door county in July, Chicago Mary in October and  the JFK ultra in November,  I now have my "A" races set in stone.    can't register for JFK until May.  By then hopefully I will have a better idea on if I can handle it or not.  I'm thinking I  CAN!  hee hee.   

Lots of events in between these.   Can't wait for race season which will kick off for me with the 8K Shamrock Shuffle in March!  My DW Eileen is also running it.   We will have a blast hanging with Q and her family!       Getting psyched up for the season as you can tell.   It seems so long ago that I was in race mode. 

Door County looks awsome!  HAve you done it before; I am still looking for a July Race.

Nope have not even been to Door County before ha!   Do triathlon and see the world!  hee hee     I think its a tough course.  Many people think its a top notch event.  I do think it will be a beautiful course.   But painful.      Come join us! 

I dont know about that one.  I think you need a passport to get that far north.....

LOL!   You might be right about that!   I'll have to check mine to see if its still good. 

phew, Im glad you laughed at that one.  I was stressed a bit thinking you were a Packers fan in Chicagoian clothing. 

Pool time tonight for me; anyone else have big plans?

While i live like 7 miles from the border, and went to college in Wisconsin, i am no Packer fan Ugh the Packer backers drive me crazy!

Dave, I didn't want to do this, but I think I'm going to have to report you to the proper cheese authority and have your WI passport revoked!

2012-02-04 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4029046

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
trei - 2012-02-04 7:32 AM [

When I ran Grandma's marathon in Duluth last year, there were 4 guys that had run every running of it since its inception sometime in the 70's (I forget the exact year), but these guys were all in their 60's at least.  I know for a fact that one of them beat my time!  It was very humbling and really cool at the same time to know that.

I've been smoked in races by young and old, short and tall, small and large. I consider it a public service I provide

Had one of THOSE runs today. But not the good one of THOSE runs. Planned on an 8 miler but bagged it after just over 2.5 miles. I can't remember the last time I cut a run short but anytime I have in the past, I try and look at what lead up to it as far as nutrition, sleep, hydration, health etc. to avoid future blow ups. Couldn't come up with anything for this mess, just one of those days.

2012-02-04 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4029336

User image

Sutton

Caught up on the posting, lot's of awesome progress is such a short time. Very impressive everyone...

Been out of touch for the last few days. On the west coast, again...

Came down with a nasty head cold/flu, whatever. Probably the result of sitting in the plane for 7hr on Monday, next to a young lady, who spent the entire time, coughing, sneezing and blowing her nose. That's what I did on the return too. So been taking it easy these last 3 days.

Still haven't fully recovered, but I couldn't wait any longer. Rode the bike this morning and took whatever the body was going to give me. This flu/bug is an energy drainer...

Tonight getting together with friends and will snowshoe up a trail. With an almost full moon, and its reflection on the snow, it could make it a pretty cool hike. Plus a fresh snowfall (3-4") this morning, it will make it even more enchanting. Hope there’s no cloud cover!

Hot chocolate and beer are the rewards, great mix...

Hitting the couch for a snooze.

2012-02-05 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Well the Superbowl picks in my pool are in.     I was wrong about assuming the other leaders would all pick the Pats to win.    Every single person left in the pool picked the Giants to win, and for the game to go under on points as I did.    So this means I cannot win or come in 2nd.   Best I can do is finish 3rd which is likely  and that place gets ZERO    so  all of my fun has been taken out of the Super bowl.      Kudos to the others for their strategy.

Instead of having fun/excitement watching the game with the outcome mattering to me.   I don't care who wins now.    I may as well not run until the afternoon, skip the super bowl party,  and whatever.     UGH!   its weird to feel like I have lost the game and it has not even been played. 

2012-02-05 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran

Well, weekend got messed up: so, bike tomorrow night after work and run again on Tuesday

Oh, and Dave, right again, I did improve my run again and added a little more distance.  I have nice 2 mile loop that I can add side streets when I'm ready.

2012-02-05 6:18 PM
in reply to: #4019693

User image

New user

Athens, GA
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-30 9:04 PM

Wendy,

I love the shoes. Are they Mizunos? Great job on the walk. Let us know how the appt. goes.

Shelly

Yes - Mizunos. Love them. Tried Asics but went back to them. As for the doc, said I could do elliptical this weekend. So I did Saturday workout on elliptical. Didn't want to push it too much so stopped at 45 mins. I hit the pool tomorrow, another doc recommendation. Ugh! Hate being in a suit on a college campus when everyone is itsy bitsy. Oh well - sucking it up and going early.

2012-02-05 6:30 PM
in reply to: #4023173

User image

New user

Athens, GA

Question about running: Should I be trying to breathe diaphragmatically?

I'm a mouth breather/chest breather.  Thus, I can get winded pretty easily.  I'm also built more for sprinting - 5'4" with BIG muscles.  Endurance is hard form me.  While I was running today, I tried to concentrate on breathing more from the belly than the chest.  It seemed to work (until my hip started cramping up).  I'm trying to run 5 minutes, walk 1, but I couldn't get in a rhythm today.  Am I headed in the right direction?

Lauren:

On the breathing, I practice doing breathing meditation which transfers over into run/walk - 10 counts in and at least that out. The count is reduced when I run/walk, but I find that it is more efficient and I get the oxygen I need.

Edited by Emmrald 2012-02-05 6:31 PM

2012-02-06 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran

If I do a 3mile run with 4min. run and 2min. walk intervals in 36 minutes now.

What's the best way to geto to 3miles running the whole time by March 10, the date of my first sprint of the year?? I really want to run the whole thing if at all possible.....

2012-02-06 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4031909

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ybeal - 2012-02-06 12:03 PM

What's the best way to geto to 3miles running the whole time by March 10, the date of my first sprint of the year?? I really want to run the whole thing if at all possible.....

Hmmm    In looking at your data  it seems to me that in the run portion of your intervals  you are going at a faster than your slowest run speed  is this correct?    That's a good thing.   

cause it means you can dial it down.     

For your next run  What I'd like to see and believe that you can handle is to run say 1.5 miles straight  no walking.    But run it as slow as you can run.       the other runs you do for the week  keep doing the run/walk  method  but run even harder/faster  during the run portions. 

THEN   week 2 

if you succeeded at the 1.5 mile run,    bump up the next straight run to 2 miles as easy/slow as you can possibly do.    and repeat your intervals for the week running them as fast as you can.

THEN week 3    go for 2.3 - 2.5  mile straight run.    repeat intervals.

Week 4  run 2.75-3  miles     leaving you with 4-5  easy days-taper before your sprint.    

But you need to attempt that first straight run SOON  like tomorrow or next day       Whoops!  I see you just ran 1 mile straight!!   good!   (how did it go?)   do not run tomorrow,   rest up or swim only.    Then try the 1.5 mile run.  

I think you can do it.  

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-02-06 2:22 PM
2012-02-06 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4032255

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-02-06 3:18 PM
Ybeal - 2012-02-06 12:03 PM

Hmmm    In looking at your data  it seems to me that in the run portion of your intervals  you are going at a faster than your slowest run speed  is this correct?    That's a good thing.   

cause it means you can dial it down.     

For your next run  What I'd like to see and believe that you can handle is to run say 1.5 miles straight  no walking.    But run it as slow as you can run.       the other runs you do for the week  keep doing the run/walk  method  but run even harder/faster  during the run portions. 

THEN   week 2 

if you succeeded at the 1.5 mile run,    bump up the next straight run to 2 miles as easy/slow as you can possibly do.    and repeat your intervals for the week running them as fast as you can.

THEN week 3    go for 2.3 - 2.5  mile straight run.    repeat intervals.

Week 4  run 2.75-3  miles     leaving you with 4-5  easy days-taper before your sprint.    

But you need to attempt that first straight run SOON  like tomorrow or next day       Whoops!  I see you just ran 1 mile straight!!   good!   (how did it go?)   do not run tomorrow,   rest up or swim only.    Then try the 1.5 mile run.  

I think you can do it.  

Thanks, I will give that a shot! I'm probably going to swim tomorrow and run Wednesday.  THANK YOU!

2012-02-06 3:30 PM

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
Hi everyone, I'll be honest I am just doing my best to avoid a bit of work right now so I figure I would drop by and say 'hi'
2012-02-06 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4023110

User image

New user

Sacramento area
quincyf - 2012-02-01 8:28 AM
quincyf - 2012-02-01 10:23 AM
quincyf - 2012-02-01 9:18 AM
Ybeal - 2012-01-31 5:43 PM

Can you recommend some swim drills for improving speed/effeciency? I can now swim around 400 yards consistently without stopping but I'd like to get a bit faster and I'm not really sure how to go about that...????

TIA!

Google fingertip drag drill, catch up dril, and side arm balance drill. You should be able to find videos on all of them...you could spend an entire season working on those three drills. I'll see if I can find some video I like...

I like to do drills with small zoomer type fins on so I am going roughly the same speed as when I am swimming normally.  Last year I did them after my warm up and again after my cool down...but once in a set is probably enough.

This video covers pretty much the major drills I use! Pay no attention to the bombed out pool he's swimming in...

Bumping this so it doesn't get lost on the old page...want you all to see this...

For those of you training without a plan, how are the swim workouts coming? Are you doing straight distances or breaking it up (this is what you should be doing). Do you need help with your swim workouts?

I need all the help I can get.  Happy for whatever you can offer.  I'm hoping for straight distances - because I literally can't go across and back without stopping and choking yet.  I know this won't always be the case, but my swim workouts (I've done one - getting in the pool for 24 min tomorrow and 44 min Thursday) are about frustration and humility right now.  Any suggestions for either my 24 min or 44 min workouts this week are welcome.

2012-02-06 9:44 PM
in reply to: #4028959

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

cherifortin - 2012-02-04 12:15 AM Alright....I am logging and blogging again! It is a start!Embarassed

Welcome back Cheri! 

2012-02-07 12:37 AM
in reply to: #4032946

User image

Sacramento, CA

Thanks!  Got in the Gym today and I had a nice strength workout with my trainer.  Lots of squats but some arm work with light weights. My quads feel great - my butt hurts - my arm is SORE.  I remember someone, somewhere telling me that strength work is important.  If anyone is interested, I put the workout in my blog!  It was a quick 30 minutes but a good workout!

My Doc says still no bike riding (only the dreaded trainer) or heavy weights since my ulner bone is STILL broken.  After 5 months I find that ridiculous and unaccpetable.  But, at least I now know why everything still hurts....

Smiles for you all! Tomorrow...I swim!

Up, Up Up, On, On, On....

2012-02-07 7:39 AM
in reply to: #4030813

New user

Emmrald - 2012-02-05 6:30 PM

Question about running: Should I be trying to breathe diaphragmatically?

I'm a mouth breather/chest breather.  Thus, I can get winded pretty easily.  I'm also built more for sprinting - 5'4" with BIG muscles.  Endurance is hard form me.  While I was running today, I tried to concentrate on breathing more from the belly than the chest.  It seemed to work (until my hip started cramping up).  I'm trying to run 5 minutes, walk 1, but I couldn't get in a rhythm today.  Am I headed in the right direction?

Lauren:

On the breathing, I practice doing breathing meditation which transfers over into run/walk - 10 counts in and at least that out. The count is reduced when I run/walk, but I find that it is more efficient and I get the oxygen I need.

Thanks for the advice!  I'll see how that works.

I'm so proud of myself today!  I've had a hard time getting workouts in while speech season is ramping up, but I pushed this morning.  I did 30 minutes on the bike and then ran/walked at 1 minute intervals.  Wow!  Did that make a difference.  I felt much better running harder for 1 minute and could keep better pace at during the walk.  Now, how do I build this up?

Breathing was better, too.  I tried not to think too hard about it, and I didn't seem as winded.   

2012-02-07 8:01 AM

Rochester
Ok so my workout today can be summed up in one word. SUCKED!!! Wtf I am so pissed at myself. I did not use my inhaler before I went and it just sucked big time. I am pissed at myself for not using my inhaler and in turn I didn't get my whole workout in. I got 19 min of week 2 of c25k. I just want so much more of myself, I want to do a ton of stuff this year and I am just frustrated right now. Sorry for the rant.
2012-02-07 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4033319

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

peterflagg - 2012-02-07 9:01 AM Ok so my workout today can be summed up in one word. SUCKED!!! Wtf I am so pissed at myself. I did not use my inhaler before I went and it just sucked big time. I am pissed at myself for not using my inhaler and in turn I didn't get my whole workout in. I got 19 min of week 2 of c25k. I just want so much more of myself, I want to do a ton of stuff this year and I am just frustrated right now. Sorry for the rant.

These workout's happen, I blew up on a run last Saturday(see a few posts above) and it's definitely frustrating(as my blog can attest to ). Take it as a learning experience. Consider your nutrition, fatigue level, hydration etc and of course your inhaler and try and correct any of those issues for next time. It's all trial and error, I've found some of my "best" training days were the ones that felt the worst at the time but in reality, improved future workouts based on what I learned from them.

Edited by Sammeg 2012-02-07 8:19 AM

2012-02-07 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran

So much for my "pink" month, LOL, looks like a "white" month.  Crazy weekend. 

Can someone tell me how to keep my calf muscles from cramping?  I did buy a massage stick which helps a little.  I'm think a massage when I get enough money.

I warm up with 10 minutes on my nordic trak cross country skier, stretch a little, then run, then stretch.

On another note:  2 weeks to spring training, LETS GO METS!

2012-02-07 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4033352

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sammeg - 2012-02-07 8:17 AM

peterflagg - 2012-02-07 9:01 AM Ok so my workout today can be summed up in one word. SUCKED!!! Wtf I am so pissed at myself. I did not use my inhaler before I went and it just sucked big time. I am pissed at myself for not using my inhaler and in turn I didn't get my whole workout in. I got 19 min of week 2 of c25k. I just want so much more of myself, I want to do a ton of stuff this year and I am just frustrated right now. Sorry for the rant.

These workout's happen, I blew up on a run last Saturday(see a few posts above) and it's definitely frustrating(as my blog can attest to ). Take it as a learning experience. Consider your nutrition, fatigue level, hydration etc and of course your inhaler and try and correct any of those issues for next time. It's all trial and error, I've found some of my "best" training days were the ones that felt the worst at the time but in reality, improved future workouts based on what I learned from them.

How to deal with a Failed work out

Ted made some great points!     We are all going to fail on a work out, or even a race.    Its GOING to happen!  

Remember when we were talking about injuries and "listening to your body"      One thing I said then was "my body lies to me"    Sometimes its NOT lying!  ha!  I learn this the hard way, by pushing when I should rest.      Its like learning a new language.   Your body speaks to you, but without a translator you don't know what its trying to tell you.     We  begin to learn to speak its language and understand via fails and successes.     They are both important.     In order to improve we walk a fine line.     

This is why logging/blogging  is so important!   You can go back and  read what you were feeling before something happened,  Or when Fatigue set in or whatever.     The more detail you have the better you can learn from it.       I've noticed that some of you are  incorporating more and more of BTs features.   Such as amount of sleep, weight, fatigue, soreness level etc.     Along with HR data.     For a long while I used to log my resting heart rate.     After a period of time it told me when I was fatigued, by being higher than usual.    I could also learn what conditions/rest was needed for my RHR to get to its lowest #        again  the more data  the better.    I stopped logging much of this  but wish I had not.  

I'm out of time for now, perhaps others  can weigh in on this.   Dunno,   discuss  some fails and how in th eend they were really key learning points,    or tips on how to deal with the frustration.

2012-02-07 12:13 PM
in reply to: #4029336

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sammeg - 2012-02-04 11:45 AM
trei - 2012-02-04 7:32 AM [

I've been smoked in races by young and old, short and tall, small and large. I consider it a public service I provide

Had one of THOSE runs today. But not the good one of THOSE runs. Planned on an 8 miler but bagged it after just over 2.5 miles. I can't remember the last time I cut a run short but anytime I have in the past, I try and look at what lead up to it as far as nutrition, sleep, hydration, health etc. to avoid future blow ups. Couldn't come up with anything for this mess, just one of those days.

In one of his first half marathons, my DH got passed (like he was standing still) by a dude doing 6 min miles with a baby jogger. We still laugh about that.

A few years ago the Chicago Tribune did a piece about why people do the marathon...one guy said he was doing it for a second time because the first time he ran it, he got passed by a "bull" and a "matador" and he was hoping to run it faster this time...

2012-02-07 12:20 PM
in reply to: #4033716

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-02-07 10:47 AM
Sammeg - 2012-02-07 8:17 AM

How to deal with a Failed work out

Ted made some great points!     We are all going to fail on a work out, or even a race.    Its GOING to happen!  

Remember when we were talking about injuries and "listening to your body"      One thing I said then was "my body lies to me"    Sometimes its NOT lying!  ha!  I learn this the hard way, by pushing when I should rest.      Its like learning a new language.   Your body speaks to you, but without a translator you don't know what its trying to tell you.     We  begin to learn to speak its language and understand via fails and successes.     They are both important.     In order to improve we walk a fine line.     

This is why logging/blogging  is so important!   You can go back and  read what you were feeling before something happened,  Or when Fatigue set in or whatever.     The more detail you have the better you can learn from it.       I've noticed that some of you are  incorporating more and more of BTs features.   Such as amount of sleep, weight, fatigue, soreness level etc.     Along with HR data.     For a long while I used to log my resting heart rate.     After a period of time it told me when I was fatigued, by being higher than usual.    I could also learn what conditions/rest was needed for my RHR to get to its lowest #        again  the more data  the better.    I stopped logging much of this  but wish I had not.  

I'm out of time for now, perhaps others  can weigh in on this.   Dunno,   discuss  some fails and how in th eend they were really key learning points,    or tips on how to deal with the frustration.

I tend to just put it in the rear view and move on...not that I recommend that, but unlike most areas of my life, I am fortunate to not ruminate too much about my sport...

But on the other hand, Peter, I am impressed with your frustration. I don't view it as a bad thing...it means you care and you're not going to give up easily. Frustration is one of those strange things that most people view as a negative, but I see it as a neutral. It's HOW you answer the frustration that will define the outcome of your problem...

So, like Dave said, what can you do with the information you have now (besides beating yourself up)...

Wink

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44