General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-12-04 7:24 AM
in reply to: #4306637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group

DG, I'm doing pretty much the same thing, once I get back home.

Biked today, only 5.5 miles again, but shaved two full minutes off my time and averaged 14.25 mph.  Nice riding.  I'm going to miss this FL weather.  On the other hand, I can't wait to get home, set up the trainer and try out this Trainer Road thing to get my saddle time back up.

2012-12-05 10:16 AM

When I went to the pool yesterday on my lunch break to get my 0-1650 workout in, a friend of mine told me I should try the lunch time swim class that she does. So I did, not ever having any formal swim lessons in my life. The instructor thought I was joking when I told her that I learned to swim from watching the summer Olympics and YouTube, but then she realized by my ashamed look that I was being serious. I made it through the workout, and learned a lot. It ended up being much further than my 0-1650 workout, and since my pride wouldn't let me "lose" to the 60 year old lady in the lane next to me (who is in much better shape than I), I swam a lot harder than I normally do. I've decided that once I get through the 0-1650 I'm going to take some formal lessons and learn how to swim correctly, just want to get some endurance first.
2012-12-05 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
unless your going to race in the next month or so I would change that to learning to swim now and not worry about endurance.  I did the same thing as you and turns out I was way way off.  I would watch some video on you tube if you can find them (I am sure they are there) and drill.  You would be surprised how much faster and how much more endurance you will have if you are swimming right.  swimming is a very technical sport.
2012-12-05 8:26 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Whoo boy this has been quite the week! Lots got in the way of workouts, including a trip to urgent care for my wife and a trip to the er for me. All is good now, but a couple of scary days and no workouts. Back on track yesterday with a short 30min on the bike (8 ish miles) and a great swim today. I did 1050yds faster than I've ever done and then on my way off of the pooldeck the life guard (20, fit, cute) complimented me on my dedication and how great I'm looking since starting tri training! As a professor I often feel invisible to the "kids" at the uni so this is quite the ego boost!!
2012-12-06 8:53 AM

Thanks for the advice chi. Looked into lessons. The gym has two tri-specific swim classes, but they don't start again until January. One is geared more towards beginners and focuses on technique. I have signed up for that one. The other class is geared more towards increasing speed and distance, maybe I'll take that one later. Until lessons start, I'm going to stick to the 0-1650. I have been doing some drills that I found on YouTube with my swim workouts. I feel like I'm a fairly decent swimmer given the fact that I've never had a lesson, but I also understand the need to have somebody analyze my form.
2012-12-06 10:42 AM

User image

New user

Check out the swim smooth site (www.swimsmooth.com).  They have a virtual swimmer and you can change the view that you see.  It has been very helpful to me.  I have no formal training either and mostly just try not to drown. I will get some coaching in about a month, but until then I learned a lot from them.

Kat

2012-12-07 6:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Just have to share my excitement!  I swam a straight 1650 this morning!!!!  It was not fast by any means but felt amazing to do it. I am officially not worried about the oly swim distance anymore.  Now to build that bike base and feel confident on that for the 26 miles.
2012-12-07 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4525737

User image

Calgary, AB

Well done Randi -- told you it would come faster than you think!

2012-12-07 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4526698

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Hoos - 2012-12-07 4:44 PM

Well done Randi -- told you it would come faster than you think!

Thanks. Now to figure out what training plan to use to improve.
2012-12-11 9:50 AM

Good job randi, I'm hoping to be able to say the same thing in 3 more weeks.

Week 4 of 0-1650 and my first workout went really well. Between the workout, warmup, and cool down, swam over 1700 yards, just not all at once. This week the long set is 600. Need to work on my lap counting. I read somewhere about breaking it up into 4 letter words and running through the alphabet (ex. ants, bats, card, dogs...) This has actually been working pretty well for me, but I still get lost every now and then. When I do, I just add an extra lap on the set. So I think I actually did 650 for the long set.

C25K is going well also. Downloaded the app on my phone and even selected the smiley face for my run report yesterday. It's been so long since I've run that I forgot about how bad I messed up my ankle from roofing houses through college. It didn't take long to remember.
2012-12-12 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4530562

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Thanks.  I have such a hard time keeping track of laps that I use a lap counter http://www.sportcount.com/   and it definitely helps me keep track.  It also gives me a time for each lap which I find useful.

As for running, hope your ankle doesn't give you too much trouble.  Old injuries definitely have a way of rearing their head.  I have my fair share.

I do have a question about my scheduled bike workout - here's the plan - 15’ warm up. Then 4x4’ at 55-65 RPMS. Recovery is 3’ easy spinning between sets. Easy 5' cool down. 

What is the purpose of doing 4x4 minutes at a slow RPM? Am I just pedaling slowly or am I putting my bike into a hard gear?  If not in a hard gear,  what then is an easy recovery when the sets seem really easy to begin with?

DBGlobal - 2012-12-11 10:50 AM Good job randi, I'm hoping to be able to say the same thing in 3 more weeks.

Week 4 of 0-1650 and my first workout went really well. Between the workout, warmup, and cool down, swam over 1700 yards, just not all at once. This week the long set is 600. Need to work on my lap counting. I read somewhere about breaking it up into 4 letter words and running through the alphabet (ex. ants, bats, card, dogs...) This has actually been working pretty well for me, but I still get lost every now and then. When I do, I just add an extra lap on the set. So I think I actually did 650 for the long set.

C25K is going well also. Downloaded the app on my phone and even selected the smiley face for my run report yesterday. It's been so long since I've run that I forgot about how bad I messed up my ankle from roofing houses through college. It didn't take long to remember.

2012-12-13 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I'll be interested to hear the answer to that Randi.

I put "Big Red" on the trainer for the first time yesterday and did 30 minutes.  I think it was the hardest 30 minutes I have ever ridden.  First because I haven't been faithful to the saddle since my race.  Second because I was going NOWHERE.  And third because I didn't even have the goals of TrainerRoad to work toward.  I have to get to my LBS and pick up the necessary sticks.  And some ChamiButter.  Although there was no chafing from my 30 minutes yesterday.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2012-12-13 7:54 AM
2012-12-13 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4532051

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Fechter99 - 2012-12-12 9:05 AM

I do have a question about my scheduled bike workout - here's the plan - 15’ warm up. Then 4x4’ at 55-65 RPMS. Recovery is 3’ easy spinning between sets. Easy 5' cool down. 

What is the purpose of doing 4x4 minutes at a slow RPM? Am I just pedaling slowly or am I putting my bike into a hard gear?  If not in a hard gear,  what then is an easy recovery when the sets seem really easy to begin with?

I am sure you are meant to go into a harder gear.   I would pick a gear that you can just maintain in the cadence range for the length of the interval. 

2012-12-13 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Hope you like TrainerRoad, Leather.  I've loved it so far.  I get in a great 30-60 minute ride 3-4 times a week.  First week or two was kind of adjusting my FTP up to get to the right level where I was really busting my butt.  There are pretty much unlimited workouts on there and you can create your own now too (beta version, which I haven't tried yet.)  I just throw a movie on the DVD, put my headphones on and plow away for an hour.  The actual wattage may not be realistic, but as long as you keep everything constant you can see your improvement.

I've been trying to keep up at it but everything is just so busy right now.  Did a 5k the other day, have a 10k scheduled for 1/1/13 and an indoor trainer race for some time later in January.  Now if I could only get myself to register at the Y and pick up on the swimming.

2012-12-13 12:13 PM

My big goal for 2013 is to run an Olympic distance and to finish it happy.

This past year I trained for an Olympic, but went to the open water practice and learned that 1 mile in the pool does not equal one mile in the lake.  Switched my registration to the sprint distance.

So now, I don't care about my times, but I'm convinced that I have GOT to learn how to swim more efficiently.  I can get in the water and use sheer bully power to go the distance, but I need to be able to stand upright when I get out of the water.

A buddy from church is the volunteer coach for the high school water polo team that his daughters are in.  He was kind enough to guest me into his Y pool yesterday for some evaluation.  Turns out my stroke isn't bad, but if I use a kickboard (okay, two kickboards stacked), my kick actually has me moving BACKWARDS in the water.

Stopped on the way home from work to buy a pull buoy - this weird foam peanut that I hold between my thighs as I work on arms.  Took that to my gym last night and arms only took 5 minutes off my 500 m time, dragging my legs behind me in the water like a pair of remoras attached to the underbelly of a shark.  Managed to do a full 37 laps in an hour.

So nice to have friends who know what they are doing and don't laugh.

Triathalon is hard.  If it was easy, they'd call it easyathalon.  And that just sounds lame.

2012-12-14 10:16 AM

This is my second full week of being on some kind of plan, and I've realized that having a plan is just what I needed to get my butt motivated. In all, I will have made 9 separate trips to the gym this week. I was shooting for an even 10, but the wife is sick with the flu or something pregnancy related, so I had to skip my workout to get my daughter to daycare. Usually I would welcome an excuse to skip the 4:30am wake-up call, but I was a bit put off by it this morning. 0-1650 is ending in a couple weeks, so now I'm looking for a plan (swim or bike) to take it's place so I have something to work towards. I have actually been looking forward to working out instead of dreading it, and just this week I noticed that I haven't had any back pain. That makes a huge difference in my attitude towards just about everything.

2012-12-17 9:04 PM

User image

Connecticut
Hi DBGlobal,
Where did you find your 0-1650 plan? I think a plan is exactly what I need to keep me on track.
Thanks
2012-12-18 6:03 AM
in reply to: #4539052

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

lp3510 - 2012-12-17 10:04 PM Hi DBGlobal,
Where did you find your 0-1650 plan? I think a plan is exactly what I need to keep me on track.
Thanks

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here but saw this and found mine at http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

2012-12-18 6:13 PM

User image

Connecticut
Thanks for the help! I'll be starting this one tomorrow. I was a state swimmer back in high school but 12 yrs and 100lbs later I'm finding it hard to stay consistent. (Especially the dieting)....Thanks again for the plan.

2013 WILL be the year of my first triathlon!
2012-12-19 9:38 AM

That is the plan I have been following as well. I'm on week five right now, but because of this lingering cold that finally turned bacterial, I am just starting w5d1 today. I also started w3d1 of the c25k today after a failed attempt yesterday (due to cold), its amazing the difference one day makes.

The CFO just approved the funds for me to buy a road bike. So I'm going to start looking this weekend and hopefully find a 2012 model on sale. Looking forward to this spring already, in the meantime, I'm going to have to set it up on the trainer and maybe give trainerroad a shot.
2012-12-20 7:11 PM

Regular
New York

Hey guys tomorrows the end of the world!!  Laughing

If it really happens I wanted to let you guys know that you all inspire me to train harder and longer!!

With out you guys it would be allot harder to do this. Keep posting and keep up the great work!!

Just keep moving!!!

2012-12-21 7:10 AM
in reply to: #4543579

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Awesome, we made it out the other side (I think 6:11 AM EST was the cut-off time).  Glad I didn't eat that entire pan of brownies.

I've been sitting down and trying to plan out my training for the next month and my races for the year.  Neither are easy.  For training it's just a matter of if I write it down and have it on a calendar it will be easier to be accountable for getting it done.  For the races I have a few I know I want to do but I also want to figure out my longest race and kind of work around that.  I'm toying with the idea of a HIM, it's just a matter of getting one in August or the right time in September as I already have one sprint planned for September. 

2012-12-21 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Well, jon, I know what you mean.  I have set my sights on four potential races in 2013.

4/7 - Sprint - While Lake, NC - 107 days to go (season starter)

6/2- Olympic - Either Lehighton, PA or Keuka Lake, NY (not sure which one yet) - 163 days (my B race)

9/23 - HIM - Hunter Mountain, NY - 275 days (my A race)

11/10 - Olympic - Clearwater, FL - 324 days (C race, optional)

I'll start registering right after New Years, one per pay day.

My advice, based on Friel's books, are to choose your A race first, then try to fit one or two B's comfortably around it, and finally fill things out with a C race or two perhaps.  Just remember, the recovery from an HIM is going be a couple of weeks or more.  I'm allowing 7 weeks between my HIM and that possible second Oly.

You'll have to make your plan based upon your own knowledge of your level and your drive.  I mean, seriously, I don't have any more experience than you.  And for the past month my drive has sucked!  I keep telling myself that I'm just waiting for Santa to bring me my ANT+ stick and such, but truth is my heart hasn't been in it.  Hopefully actually registering for a race will provide a little spark.

2012-12-21 4:49 PM
in reply to: #4544498

User image

Calgary, AB

By the way Leatherneck -- after our exchange a few weeks back, I took the plunge and signed up for that second Olympic.  I'm fully signed up & registered for all 4 below -- some of my races had an early bird discount for registering before Dec 31.

April -- sprint (Mount Royal University, Calgary)

June -- Olympic (Chinook 51.5, Calgary)

July -- Olympic (Vancouver)

September -- Sprint (Banff)

May also add in a couple of running-only events (5K/10K) but this is the core schedule.

2012-12-21 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Hoos, looks like a nice schedule.  Keep up the good work and you'll finish them all.  And for US, finishing is winning.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45