BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-01-12 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4574961

User image

Michigan
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
dmiller5 - 2013-01-12 9:31 AM
kaehlin - 2013-01-12 6:57 AM

Dirk, for the first time in 20 years of working, I have experienced quite a bit of job uncertainty / unfairness over the past year.  It is not as extreme as what's happening to you, but I can identify a little bit.  I sincerly hope it smooths out for you quickly. 

Jen and Karl, thanks for the swim advice.  I'll try slowing down more, as well as the fist drill, next time.

I did make it back to the pool yesterday, was able to stretch my workout to 900 yards (from 400).  I really began to feel more comfortable in the water.  I tried to slow down, and was initially not comfortable - until I focused on slowing my kick way down, and pushing my head lower in the water (looking almost behind me), which seems to pull up my legs more.  I also focused on keeping my arm outstretched for a longer glide with each stroke.  I am starting to feel like I know some elements that I have to change in my stroke, and I can change one at a time, but still haven't quite put it all together.

I am really enjoying the challenge!  Right now swimming is amlsot entirely a huge mental exercise, whereas running and biking are more about mental toughness.  And, I'm happily sore this morning, so I know I must have had a good workout. 

Thats great that you are feeling more comfortable in the water! I experience many of the same things you are describing when I was working on swimming a couple years ago.  Have you tried just looking straight down and relaxing your head/neck?  Looking backwards can put a strain on your neck/shoulders and can make breathing a bit more difficult.  Good luck and keep us updated!

I have not tried just relaxing my neck, so I'll try that on my next swim - hopefully tomorrow!  Thanks

2013-01-12 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4575070

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
KWDreamun - 2013-01-12 11:38 AM

Please advise...

I just finished the 15K which is my longest race to date.  I have run longer but just easy runs.  This was a VERY hilly course and the temp at the start was 58 and probably warmed up to 65 so it was PERFECT for running.

Got up at 4:00 and ate a bowl of yogurt mixed w/ oatmeal, protein powder, walnuts and milk.  Had a BIG cup of coffee.  Then I stretched and rested and iced my foot then stretched some more.  Right before we left I ate a few bbq chips for the salt and took 3 Aleve for my foot.

Race started and I was just coasting running for the first 2 miles seeing how my foot was going to react and it was very crowded.  At the turn around I ate a shot block and took 1 enduralyte and a sip of water.  I ran the 2nd half hard for me and the last 3/10 I wasn't sure I was going to finish.  When I crossed the finish line I was having to concentrate on not throwing up.  While I was running hard, I was not really sweating but I don't sweat a lot anyway.

Now that the race is over, my stomach is giving me fits.  We left as soon as my wife finished so I could get home.  My stomach has not quit cramping since I finished the race.  At the end of the race I did get a small cup of water, maybe 3 spoons of chili, 1/2 banana and a small oatmeal bar thing.

My question, am I just in terrible shape or is my nutrition off.  It has been several hours now and my stomach is still cramping.  If I drink when running, I know what happens and it isn't good.  I don't think 9.3 miles is a nutrition problem but would like ya'lls advice.

If I had to guess I would say it is the shot blocks and enduralytes without enough water. You probably have a high concentration of electrolytes in your gut/intestines. An imbalance here could cause your cramping and/or pull water into the gut or intestines which can trigger other GI issues.  You MUST drink when you are consuming concentrated electrolytes this way or it isn't fun.  Maybe drinking some more water could help you out at the moment.

2013-01-12 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
MI
KWDreamun - 2013-01-12 12:38 PM

Please advise...

I just finished the 15K which is my longest race to date.  I have run longer but just easy runs.  This was a VERY hilly course and the temp at the start was 58 and probably warmed up to 65 so it was PERFECT for running.

Got up at 4:00 and ate a bowl of yogurt mixed w/ oatmeal, protein powder, walnuts and milk.  Had a BIG cup of coffee.  Then I stretched and rested and iced my foot then stretched some more.  Right before we left I ate a few bbq chips for the salt and took 3 Aleve for my foot.

Race started and I was just coasting running for the first 2 miles seeing how my foot was going to react and it was very crowded.  At the turn around I ate a shot block and took 1 enduralyte and a sip of water.  I ran the 2nd half hard for me and the last 3/10 I wasn't sure I was going to finish.  When I crossed the finish line I was having to concentrate on not throwing up.  While I was running hard, I was not really sweating but I don't sweat a lot anyway.

Now that the race is over, my stomach is giving me fits.  We left as soon as my wife finished so I could get home.  My stomach has not quit cramping since I finished the race.  At the end of the race I did get a small cup of water, maybe 3 spoons of chili, 1/2 banana and a small oatmeal bar thing.

My question, am I just in terrible shape or is my nutrition off.  It has been several hours now and my stomach is still cramping.  If I drink when running, I know what happens and it isn't good.  I don't think 9.3 miles is a nutrition problem but would like ya'lls advice.

I have no idea what it could be, but my first thought is now that it's post-race, have you re-hydrated yourself well? 

2013-01-12 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4575105

User image

Expert
MI

Karl, here's the other thing.  I really am in no position to be giving any advice on nutrition during a race, since nearly EVERY race I've had since I started triathlons a couple years ago I have encountered side stitches, but.. I finally believe that it is because I eat and/or drink too much before the race, especially with my last half marathon.  Some people can handle a lot, so it might not be the issue for you.  But perhaps for you, that was a bit too much pre-race food?  It could also come down to eating too much the night before (IMO).  I have always been paranoid about not having enough energy during a race, and I think I may take it a bit too far.  In retrospect, I just feel for all my races I have been drinking too much water beforehand.  (I haven't had another race to test out not drinking much since basically my last race just really made me believe that..)  Also.  Since this is a race, I do not believe it is necessary to be consuming protein powder and a huge thing of fat (walnuts).  That does seem a bit overkill *to me*... I would think carbs with perhaps a little bit of protein (if that's what your food contains) would be fine, but a race is definitely not a situation where you really needs to be putting extra protein/fat into your system right before you run.  Also I'm not so sure about taking medication before a "big" run like that, but that's a different issue...

Oh, and one more thing.  Jeff has mentioned in the past that many people have issues with dairy before a workout.  Have you consumed dairy before a workout in training before?

2013-01-12 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Please advise...

Karl- First off... congrats on the GWTC 15k! As for your stomach troubles, I might try taking something to calm it down - antacid or pepto maybe. Maybe the dairy just isn't sitting right. Also, what did you eat last night? Maybe it was something you ate last night? I generally won't eat yogurt or milk before a long run or a race and I stay away from drinking too much liquid the morning of a long run. I don't think it is your nutrition - then again, what the heck do I know?! I hope you feel better soon.
2013-01-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4575121

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
michgirlsk - 2013-01-12 1:22 PM

Karl, here's the other thing.  I really am in no position to be giving any advice on nutrition during a race, since nearly EVERY race I've had since I started triathlons a couple years ago I have encountered side stitches, but.. I finally believe that it is because I eat and/or drink too much before the race, especially with my last half marathon.  Some people can handle a lot, so it might not be the issue for you.  But perhaps for you, that was a bit too much pre-race food?  It could also come down to eating too much the night before (IMO).  I have always been paranoid about not having enough energy during a race, and I think I may take it a bit too far.  In retrospect, I just feel for all my races I have been drinking too much water beforehand.  (I haven't had another race to test out not drinking much since basically my last race just really made me believe that..)  Also.  Since this is a race, I do not believe it is necessary to be consuming protein powder and a huge thing of fat (walnuts).  That does seem a bit overkill *to me*... I would think carbs with perhaps a little bit of protein (if that's what your food contains) would be fine, but a race is definitely not a situation where you really needs to be putting extra protein/fat into your system right before you run.  Also I'm not so sure about taking medication before a "big" run like that, but that's a different issue...

Oh, and one more thing.  Jeff has mentioned in the past that many people have issues with dairy before a workout.  Have you consumed dairy before a workout in training before?

Great points! Before a long run or race I usually have a half sandwich of peanut butter/ half of a banana/drizzle of honey. It is only about 3 bites of food, but it is about all I can handle.

2013-01-12 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
I finally got back in the pool this morning and I was planning on doing an easy swim, about 1200 - 1500 yards, but there was part of my brain that said I had to do 2000 yards no matter what. Which part of my brain won- the 2000 yard part. After being out of the water almost 3 weeks, I was able to swim 2000 yards, but mostly with a pull buoy. My leg workout from Thursday has got me SORE. Every time I kneel down or squat, I start giggling cause of how sore I am. My leg muscles seem to get SUPER sore and take several days to recover. I am not sure if I should push through the soreness and cycle/run? Am I defeating the purpose of the strengthening workout if I get back to pounding the pavement too soon? I was also wondering about soreness and recovery? I try to lift weights 3x a week and find that my legs take so much more time to recover, whereas my upper body seems to recover in a couple of days? Anyone have any insight on why this could be? Anyone else experience similar things?
2013-01-12 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4575154

User image

Expert
MI
I think my legs have been straight up fatigued.  The added running + weights (legs) + (possibly) not getting enough protein I think added up to being not so good.  I took two full days off from doing anything, and I still feel like my legs are a bit fatigued.  Among other things, I think that may have contributed to my most recent hip/muscular issue (which of course resulted from a pre-existing condition.)
2013-01-12 4:00 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Please advise...

Karl congrats on finishing the 15K great job on finishing what sounds like a pretty challenging course with the hills and the issues with your stomach. I have not really had an issues with my stomach bothering while running. First question would be did you eat something you normally don't eat before this run? Sounds like you ate reasonably well to me. Maybe it was the combination of the alleve and the big cup of coffee.

2013-01-12 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jen and Samantha I know there is a lot of benefit to doing some strength training for your lower body but to be honest I do very little of that especially during the season. I think between the running and biking I find I have the same issue with fatigue. I'm sure Dirk, Jeff, Karl or the other strength trainers here can give you a better insight than I can on what you can do to get the benefits of strength training your lower body while balancing that with running and biking. I usually just focus on my upper body (chest, arms, shoulders and back). I do very limited lower body work.
2013-01-12 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
We brought the puppy home today and I am amazed at how good she has been. She seems to be pretty content and is trying to get adjusted to her new surroundings as we are trying to get used to her as well. She's not housebroken so we have to work with her on that but we couldn't be happier with her. We have settled on the name Luna and she's already made us laugh with some of the things she's done. She seems very smart we are definitely going to have to watch her like a hawk as she is very inquisitive but so far so good.

2013-01-12 5:27 PM

User image

New York

A quick update on my end. Today was my first 1x1 swim lesson and I think it went pretty well. On the positive side, the coach said that I was relatively comfortable with my face in the water, my stroke had a relaxed feel to it and I'm using my core well to drive the glide/switch. The negatives are that I kick too much, my hips/legs tend to sink (he said tense/stiff hips or may be just low body fat) and I need to work on better pull mechanics. My breathing is a neutral - if I consciously focus on it, I dont over rotate and have half my face in the water but sometimes he mentioned that I tended to lift my head up a bit. One of the suggestions was to look forward a touch instead of looking straight down and mentally feel the crest wave so that I feel comfortable breathing. I still need to work on bilateral breathing too. We tried a little bit of backstroke and it was a bit of the same hips/legs sinking problem there too. 

Now I feel like I at least have some kind of a roadmap in terms of what I need to work on instead of struggling through my sets. We didn't have a phone handy but I am thinking of getting myself taped next week and I'll post a link here after. 

Running has been coming along well. My one issue is that my HR tends to go up to 150-160 very soon and stays there. So I am trying to slow down more to get it down to zone 2 like some of you guys hav suggested here.

I've been ignoring my bike and need your help for a plan. Given the focus on the swim right now, I felt I could go 2x a week on the bike. Was looking at different plans and I thought about the Jorge plan. But that thought lasted for all of 5 mins as I remembered Tony's detailed and colorful commentary hah!. I don't know what to do now. Is it possible to adapt the Jorge plan to 2x a week? Is there any other plan (on trainerroad may be?) that will provide some kind of a structure?

2013-01-12 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4574252

User image

New York
DirkP - 2013-01-11 3:31 PM

So, I have had a lot of distraction at work since I returned on Jan 2.  I had forgotten that the new year would bring some restructuring to my employer.  I found out last week that an entire repair facility would be shut down and the employees positions were eliminated entirely.  Some of them were near enough to retirement age that they will end up being bridged by the severance package and they'll be okay.  Others aren't going to be so lucky.

I found out yesterday that an exempt line crew supervisor's job in my area has been eliminated.  this was a stunning blow to my mindset yesterday!!  This man is solid, productive employee who's work has always been good.  All I could think about last night and much of today was his mental state now.  He will likely have a job with the company still but it will most likely be very different and possibly much less pay. 

Honestly, right now, I am spending time thinking about suggesting to my manager that I back down to a lineman again and allow him to take my job as  Line Crew Supervisor.  I don't know how this would work, if at all, or if Lis would support that.  I am still trying to figure out how to approach the concept.  I don't know if I should ask my manager, talk to the LCS about it or say anything to Lis first.  One thing I have to figure out is what kind of direct impact it would have on everyone first.

Needless to say, things are pretty heavy for me right now.  As I was running today I thought much about how to move ahead.  It's scary from either side right now.

Dirk, hope things work out well whatever decision you make. Working in the financial industry and starting in 2007 (great timing on my part), I've seen my company go bankrupt and have gone through 8-9 rounds of layoffs. Its gotten so bad in the industry that one's job security is 6-9 months at the most. We now have a round of layoffs next week. I think (i hope) I should be OK this time but its really tough in terms of the mental hardship that everyone goes through.

I think it is extremely commendable that you think about helping somebody else at the cost of demoting yourself. Tells a lot about your character. Good luck and hope everything works out well.  

2013-01-12 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Here is the pic of shoes laced up from Pam - Pink Socks, Karl's wife.

(LacingUp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
LacingUp.jpg (7KB - 4 downloads)
2013-01-12 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4575410

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
bhargavs - 2013-01-12 6:27 PM

A quick update on my end. Today was my first 1x1 swim lesson and I think it went pretty well. On the positive side, the coach said that I was relatively comfortable with my face in the water, my stroke had a relaxed feel to it and I'm using my core well to drive the glide/switch. The negatives are that I kick too much, my hips/legs tend to sink (he said tense/stiff hips or may be just low body fat) and I need to work on better pull mechanics. My breathing is a neutral - if I consciously focus on it, I dont over rotate and have half my face in the water but sometimes he mentioned that I tended to lift my head up a bit. One of the suggestions was to look forward a touch instead of looking straight down and mentally feel the crest wave so that I feel comfortable breathing. I still need to work on bilateral breathing too. We tried a little bit of backstroke and it was a bit of the same hips/legs sinking problem there too. 

Now I feel like I at least have some kind of a roadmap in terms of what I need to work on instead of struggling through my sets. We didn't have a phone handy but I am thinking of getting myself taped next week and I'll post a link here after. 

Running has been coming along well. My one issue is that my HR tends to go up to 150-160 very soon and stays there. So I am trying to slow down more to get it down to zone 2 like some of you guys hav suggested here.

I've been ignoring my bike and need your help for a plan. Given the focus on the swim right now, I felt I could go 2x a week on the bike. Was looking at different plans and I thought about the Jorge plan. But that thought lasted for all of 5 mins as I remembered Tony's detailed and colorful commentary hah!. I don't know what to do now. Is it possible to adapt the Jorge plan to 2x a week? Is there any other plan (on trainerroad may be?) that will provide some kind of a structure?

Bhargav congrats on the good swim session. Sounds like you are off to a good start and yes there are always things to work on with swimming. It is the most fustrating and challening of the three disciplines but it's good that you have some direction and know what to work on.

You know I love Jorge and everything I say in regards to his plan is in jest and I kid often about it. It is a hard plan though no joking there and you can modify it according to Jorge to two days or three days. There are 4 workouts a week, I think if you do two workouts you do workout 1 and 3 for the week. You can double check me on that but I believe that is what he recommends. In any case you'll definitely get a good bike workout using his plan.

2013-01-13 6:50 AM
in reply to: #4575653

User image

Bronze member
strikyr - 2013-01-12 9:55 PM
bhargavs - 2013-01-12 6:27 PM

Bhargav congrats on the good swim session. Sounds like you are off to a good start and yes there are always things to work on with swimming. It is the most fustrating and challening of the three disciplines but it's good that you have some direction and know what to work on.

You know I love Jorge and everything I say in regards to his plan is in jest and I kid often about it. It is a hard plan though no joking there and you can modify it according to Jorge to two days or three days. There are 4 workouts a week, I think if you do two workouts you do workout 1 and 3 for the week. You can double check me on that but I believe that is what he recommends. In any case you'll definitely get a good bike workout using his plan.

Agree with Tony, you can do 2 Jorge workouts a week if you like to follow a plan.

I think I've decided to abandon the idea of following a plan and just pick out some TR workouts. I was going to pick a plan this week then we had a few days of really nice weather. Wed. I put my trainer on the patio while my daughter played outside and yesterday I was able to get out for a group ride with friends.

I held my own on the group ride and did the Junkies proud. My training friend Tiff and I were the only ladies with about 10 guys. I was always last going down hill - they were nice and tried to tell me it was only because I am small but umm, no. It's because I'm chicken and hit the brakes LOL! Downhills with curves with cars coming at me on a two lane road still make my stomach turn! That's ok because I caught back up to them going up hill and passed my fair share. I could have passed more and been more aggressive but I didn't want to come off like a show off or like I was a girl trying to show up the guys so I would work my way to the middle/front then just hang there. Honestly I really just need to keep pedaling fast to make it up the hills so I would have preferred everyone to get out of my way .  I did hold steady with the break away riders a few times which was a good check of my cycling fitness. My legs feel fine today, not even tired so I think my cycling is in a pretty good place at this point. These guys ride like little kids, hang out and chat for a while then all of a sudden someone just starts sprinting and dares everyone else to catch them . Fun and what a treat for January!

I've got to get back to work in the basement today. Our fixer up project is still going on. My husband has really been working hard to lay the laminate floor and he finished up the largest open space down there yesterday. Now it is my turn to get to work prepping and painting the new walls that make up our new closet and then put all of the toys back because the kids really miss their play area!

2013-01-13 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4574961

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
dmiller5 - 2013-01-12 10:31 AM
kaehlin - 2013-01-12 6:57 AM

Dirk, for the first time in 20 years of working, I have experienced quite a bit of job uncertainty / unfairness over the past year.  It is not as extreme as what's happening to you, but I can identify a little bit.  I sincerly hope it smooths out for you quickly. 

Jen and Karl, thanks for the swim advice.  I'll try slowing down more, as well as the fist drill, next time.

I did make it back to the pool yesterday, was able to stretch my workout to 900 yards (from 400).  I really began to feel more comfortable in the water.  I tried to slow down, and was initially not comfortable - until I focused on slowing my kick way down, and pushing my head lower in the water (looking almost behind me), which seems to pull up my legs more.  I also focused on keeping my arm outstretched for a longer glide with each stroke.  I am starting to feel like I know some elements that I have to change in my stroke, and I can change one at a time, but still haven't quite put it all together.

I am really enjoying the challenge!  Right now swimming is amlsot entirely a huge mental exercise, whereas running and biking are more about mental toughness.  And, I'm happily sore this morning, so I know I must have had a good workout. 

Thats great that you are feeling more comfortable in the water! I experience many of the same things you are describing when I was working on swimming a couple years ago.  Have you tried just looking straight down and relaxing your head/neck?  Looking backwards can put a strain on your neck/shoulders and can make breathing a bit more difficult.  Good luck and keep us updated!

You are correct David.  You need to be fairly relaxed at the neck and head, look directly at the bottom of the pool rather than at the end or toward your feet.  Looking at the bottom of the pool should be done as if you're standing if front of a mirror combing your hair, looking yourself eye to eye.  Much of a variation from this will cause stress to your neck and a shoulders and will cause undue fatigue and we, as triathletes, are in the business of keeping the active muscles engaged and all else to be lazy, so to speak.

2013-01-13 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Please advise...

I would also look to the source of your nutrition.  Had you been using the same things to train with as you used in the race?  If you aren't used to using things during training, you may find them unfriendly during racing.  As David said, taking in a complex source of calories can cause GI issues if not combined with water to help dilute and thin things down a bit.  Also, there could have been something you had eaten the night before that had an effect as well.........and don't eat chili when having GI issues following a race either.  Ouch!  That one even hurt me.

2013-01-13 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Thanks for the advice on nutrition.  Since the cramping persisted all day I'm wondering if it was maybe a bug or did I just go to hard???  I finally started feeling better about 7:00 pm.  One thing is for sure, no more yogurt before a race!!!

Could exhaustion, lack of water last that long?  I thought it would be over a lot sooner than almost 12 hours later?

When i do my training runs, I drink a lot.  I also go early so I can get rid of the drink anywhere.  During the race, I'm running harder, I feel like if i drink I will throw up AND there is no where to go potty...

My foot is a lot better today, that is 1 positive that come out of it.Bharvavas, congrats on the swim.

Bhargavas, congrats on the swim!

Jen, thanks for posting the pics of the lacing.  That was bothering Pam so much not getting it posted.  Hopefully it will help someone in the future. 

Samantha and Jen, I had to quit working my legs in the gym when i started triathlon stuff.  I still do upper body a LOT but not legs.  The legs are the biggest muscles in your body and when you work them hard they get very sore and yes it does take a lot of recovery time and nutrition to get them to recover.  Prior to tri stuff, I used to work legs then try to run and I NEVER figured it out.  When it hurts just to stand up, running is out of the question.  Dirk and Jeff will get on to me for this, but if I want to work my legs, just get on your bike and do hill repeats in the hard gears.

Dina, yes you did the junkies proud in the biking!!!!

Tony, how was the 1st night with Luna.  Yes dogs are amazing and they are like children, they change your life for the better, they bring joy.  We laugh at our all the time.  They say having a dog will add years to your life. 

Dirk, I was thinking of you in the run yesterday.  I really hope things work out well for you and your employees.

Jo, I ran in pink socks for Margie. 

2013-01-13 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4567893

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
RunningYogini - 2013-01-08 10:19 AM

Thanks Karl and Jeff!  I appreciate the ideas!  I'm going to stay away from the leg press and squats for a couple weeks.  Karl, thank you for that PM.  You should share that ugly workout with the group!  I love it!  I'm going to do it tomorrow and I'm sure I will curse your name! Yell

Here's one I had never done that the trainer makes me do.... Lay on your back with your heels on an excersise ball raise your hips then pull the ball to your butt using your heels. Hope this makes sense and helps!
2013-01-13 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4571681

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
JeffY - 2013-01-10 9:24 AM

Sorry everybody, my comments yesterday were supposed to includes links to videos.

I just edited those posts to include the links.  Please scroll back and look at the videos in light of what I wrote.

Thanks.

I went back and watched both, I am definitely a heel striker and have often thought about trying to change it, but in the second marathon video to me it looks like the first guy is a total heel striker....... I am not going to worry anymore about this and just worry about trying to decrease my time. Thanks!

2013-01-13 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4573510

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
dmiller5 - 2013-01-11 7:54 AM

Great run last night! 7:50's for 5 miles at 160 HR (upper end of zone 2 for me).  Everything felt great and just flowed. I finally feel like I'm becoming a good runner rather than passable one.

Awesome run !!
2013-01-13 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
I am caught up I wasn't sure where I left off so went back and found some useful info that I missed.

Dirk good job on your 12 miler and I will be thinking of you and your decision. As others had said it shows a lot about your character
Eric Jen and Bhargavs sounds like you guys had some great break throughs in your swims
Tony how the new puppy?
Dina, awesome ride Iam the same way on hills. Good luck with your basement.
Karl congrats on your race! how a you feeling today? Thanks for wearing the pink socks

So.....I went to a Packer party last night too much food and drink but Iam going to get in a 3 mile run and a short bike with LOTS of water today.

Edited by Jo63 2013-01-13 9:17 AM
2013-01-13 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

I now have a all new level of respect for the dedicated trail runners!  I completed a 8 mile trail race yesterday that was just shy of being absolutely brutal!  I did the same race last year but somehow forgot how hard the hills are!  The course was basically an out and back so I was able to get the enjoyment of doing all of the hills twice.  1st mistake was I didn't pace very well, 1st 2 miles I ran at an avg pace  of 8:40 and this just put me in a hole.  I probably should of been closer to 9:30, but instead I just kind of ran out of gas towards the end.  The other item I underestimated was the amount of mud on the course, through the majority I was slipping and sliding all over the place.  There was even one section where the mud was at least 2-3 inches deep and you had to be careful not to lose a shoe, luckily right after this section there was a waste deep creek crossing to wash all of the mud off!

Overall it was a fun race, I definitely used some muscles I don't normally use on my standard runs. (which I am paying for today with sore muscles).  My finish time of 1:21 is roughly 8 minutes faster than last year so thats a good improvement.  Now I have to decide if I want to do the next trail run in the series, that race is 14 miles long.  I should probably decide pretty soon so I can start running some hills to be better prepared.  Could be good motivation to keep the run miles high over the next 2 months.

This is just a small sample of the mud I was in, half of it had already washed off in some of the mud puddles I ran through.   Also check out this video of the creek crossing, this is the 1st one and the 2nd was much deep with more current to the point they had a rope stretched across so you didn't get washed away

2013-01-13 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4575867

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Jo63 - 2013-01-13 9:26 AM
RunningYogini - 2013-01-08 10:19 AM
Here's one I had never done that the trainer makes me do.... Lay on your back with your heels on an excersise ball raise your hips then pull the ball to your butt using your heels. Hope this makes sense and helps!

I do this one and it really puts a hurting on your ham's especially the higher you raise your hips...enjoy!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119