Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-08-30 6:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open

Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles I'm doing Hy Vee 5150 (olympic) this Sunday. Somebody has to be there to give Hunter Kemper a run for his money haha. Unfortunately the water temp is around 80 so it is not looking good for wetsuits :(
Hah! I've never heard it called 5150 before, I had to look it up to see why it was called that.  Makes sense but I did a double take when I first read that you were doing a 5150 race:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5150_(involuntary_psychiatric_hold)

In California, someone who has been 'fifty-one-fiftied' is someone who has been held involuntarily because they were deemed by a cop or clinician to have a mental disorder which made them a danger to themselves or others.  5150 is the statute number or whatever that gives the authority.  So referring to someone as 5150 would be slang for...crazy.  Seems appropriate.

Laughing

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2013-08-30 6:16 PM

2013-08-30 9:00 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Thanks for all the supportive comments. Looking forward to it. Race Report will surely be up by that night!

Gary
2013-08-30 9:21 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles I'm doing Hy Vee 5150 (olympic) this Sunday. Somebody has to be there to give Hunter Kemper a run for his money haha. Unfortunately the water temp is around 80 so it is not looking good for wetsuits
Hah! I've never heard it called 5150 before, I had to look it up to see why it was called that.  Makes sense but I did a double take when I first read that you were doing a 5150 race:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5150_(involuntary_psychiatric_hold)

In California, someone who has been 'fifty-one-fiftied' is someone who has been held involuntarily because they were deemed by a cop or clinician to have a mental disorder which made them a danger to themselves or others.  5150 is the statute number or whatever that gives the authority.  So referring to someone as 5150 would be slang for...crazy.  Seems appropriate.

Laughing

Haha my mistake but that sounds about right to consider me crazy for feeling excited to endure some pain on race day.
2013-08-30 9:48 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

Welcome to all the new hashers and mashers!

I'm officially done training for the race. Resting up for my first Tri (sprint) on Sunday. Just practicing transitions and meditating!

Good luck Sunday!
2013-08-30 10:23 PM
in reply to: tryin2tri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Wouldn't you know it would be really easy to make the changes I wanted. Thanks.

I used to live just south of Prince George and did a lot of cold water swimming. If I was careful I could get my face in without too much difficulty.

I believe when the water is that cold then neoprene booties become legal for a swim. Maybe check them out and maybe look at a neoprene cap as well.
2013-08-30 11:25 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Welcome to all the new hashers and mashers!

I'm officially done training for the race. Resting up for my first Tri (sprint) on Sunday. Just practicing transitions and meditating!

Goodluck Bro!!! Be nice to them!!! lol! joke!!

2013-08-31 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4725974

User image

Veteran
Polar Bear Alley
@Psytri- Have an awesome first tri!!
2013-08-31 8:44 PM

User image

Hashers and Mashers rock! Thanks for all the well-wishes and encouragement. Just finished packing up. Heading off to sleep soon for the early rise! Race report on it's way......!

Gary

Edited by PsyTri 2013-08-31 8:45 PM
2013-09-01 9:57 AM

User image

Done! Had a great time. Swim was the most disappointing aspect of the race. Lost focus and reverted to breast stroke for large sections. Not because of exhaustion. More because of getting flustered by lack of visibility when face in water. Transitions were good. Bike rocked. Only passed by tri-bikes, a couple road bikes, and one mountain bike. Close to 18 mph on my hybrid! As expected, legs a little tired on run. But loosened up after a mile and then felt in the zone. Wife and kids there and cheered me at each transition and loop. Son ran alongside and gave me high-5. That was the highlight. He's itching for his next triathlon already! Overall, a great first triathlon. Learned some things and looking forward to the next one (TBD!).

Met most of my own goals. If I had been in the "Fat Tire" category (my tire only 1/8" short of the 1.5 min cutoff, and I'm just too honest!), I would have finished in 3rd place! I'll either need to get a road bike or a fatter tire if I want to be more competitive next time!!!

Race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Cheers,

Gary

2013-09-01 10:54 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Done! Had a great time. Swim was the most disappointing aspect of the race. Lost focus and reverted to breast stroke for large sections. Not because of exhaustion. More because of getting flustered by lack of visibility when face in water. Transitions were good. Bike rocked. Only passed by tri-bikes, a couple road bikes, and one mountain bike. Close to 18 mph on my hybrid! As expected, legs a little tired on run. But loosened up after a mile and then felt in the zone. Wife and kids there and cheered me at each transition and loop. Son ran alongside and gave me high-5. That was the highlight. He's itching for his next triathlon already! Overall, a great first triathlon. Learned some things and looking forward to the next one (TBD!).

Met most of my own goals. If I had been in the "Fat Tire" category (my tire only 1/8" short of the 1.5 min cutoff, and I'm just too honest!), I would have finished in 3rd place! I'll either need to get a road bike or a fatter tire if I want to be more competitive next time!!!

Race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Cheers,

Gary

Awesome! 18 mph on a hybrid is impressive. Very cool your wife and kids were there to cheer you on. I can almost see you smiling as you wrote this post :-). That feeling of being alive when doing your first triathlon is hard to explain unless you do one. Now you know that feeling. Congrats triathlete!
2013-09-01 7:10 PM

User image

Cheers,

Gary

Way to go man. Heads up though, triathlons become addictive. Race at your own risk.

2013-09-01 7:29 PM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles Way to go man. Heads up though, triathlons become addictive. Race at your own risk.

How was your race today??

2013-09-01 9:29 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Originally posted by miche033

Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles Way to go man. Heads up though, triathlons become addictive. Race at your own risk.

It was a great experience. Lots of fun and exciting.
2013-09-02 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... It was a great experience. Lots of fun and exciting.

Yay! I left a comment on your report.

But, TRIal_of_Miles, didn't you race this weekend too? Or you have one next weekend?

2013-09-02 5:55 PM

User image

Race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... It was a great experience. Lots of fun and exciting.

But, TRIal_of_Miles, didn't you race this weekend too? Or you have one next weekend?

Yes ma'am. My olympic race went better than anticipated. The race was delayed due to a thunderstorm rolling through but right after the storm the sunrise broke through the clouds and temps remained in the 70s for the entire race. I was a little worried since there was a breeze of about 12-15mph from the north and the lake was so warm that wetsuits weren't allowed. I have never done open water swims without one so I didn't know how bad my time would be. The swim went ok despite having some goggle malfunctions but I was able to quickly correct it and work on drafting, which makes a noticeable difference I must say.
I knew my swim would be slow so I hurried up through transition and onto the bike course right into the wind. It was a bit of a struggle but the crowd in Des Moines was phenomenal with people on every mile of the course. Even Gumby showed up to cheer on the cyclists. I did not have a bike computer attached for this race so my pace went by feel.
After getting done with the bike I was able to do my favorite event, the run. By this time in the race I figured I would pull off a 2:40 if I was lucky. I ran with a teammate for the first 3 miles which was a huge moral boost and then a faster paced runner passed me so I clung onto him for the final 3 miles. I found out that when I am with faster runners my pace seems less strenuous. I was able to have a strong kick at the finish passing 3 other people. When I found out my time I was a little surprised to say the least. With no wetsuit and a nice breeze on the bike I was able to pull off a 2:30. The swim was slow at 30 minutes but the bike and run turned out pretty well with a 1:13 on a road bike with aero bars and a 42 minute run. I was able to get 5th in my AG out of about 40 people and placed 61 out of 829 participants.

Edited by TRIal_of_miles 2013-09-02 8:40 PM
2013-09-02 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Cheers,

Gary

I just read your race report and you sound well prepared. All that Ransick said is true. OWS will definitely help you in the future although you are already fast. Imagine what you could do on a much lighter Road or Tri bike. I would imagine you'd feel even better on your run after getting off a much lighter bike as well.

Enjoy that post race feeling. You did great!

2013-09-02 8:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles

Yes ma'am. My olympic race went better than anticipated. The race was delayed due to a thunderstorm rolling through but right after the storm the sunrise broke through the clouds and temps remained in the 70s for the entire race. I was a little worried since there was a breeze of about 12-15mph from the north and the lake was so warm that wetsuits weren't allowed. I have never done open water swims without one so I didn't know how bad my time would be. The swim went ok despite having some goggle malfunctions but I was able to quickly correct it and work on drafting, which makes a noticeable difference I must say.
I knew my swim would be slow so I hurried up through transition and onto the bike course right into the wind. It was a bit of a struggle but the crowd in Des Moines was phenomenal with people on every mile of the course. Even Gumby showed up to cheer on the cyclists. I did not have a bike computer attached for this race so my pace went by feel.
After getting done with the bike I was able to do me favorite event, the run. By this time in the race I figured I would pull off a 2:40 if I was lucky. I ran with a teammate for the first 3 miles which was a huge moral boost and then I faster pace runner passed me so I clung onto him for the final 3 miles. I found out that when I am with faster runners my pace seems less strenuous. I was able to have a strong kick at the finish passing 3 other people. When I found out my time I was a little surprised to say the least. With no wetsuit and a nice breeze on the bike I was able to pull off a 2:30. The swim was slow at 30 minutes but the bike and run turned out pretty well with a 1:13 on a road bike with aero bars and a 42 minute run. I was able to get 5th in my AG out of about 40 people and placed 61 out of 829 participants.

That's a pretty phenomenal race. Congratulations! 2:30 is a great start to your Triathlon career.
2013-09-02 9:32 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

After getting done with the bike I was able to do my favorite event, the run. By this time in the race I figured I would pull off a 2:40 if I was lucky. I ran with a teammate for the first 3 miles which was a huge moral boost and then a faster paced runner passed me so I clung onto him for the final 3 miles. I found out that when I am with faster runners my pace seems less strenuous. I was able to have a strong kick at the finish passing 3 other people. When I found out my time I was a little surprised to say the least. With no wetsuit and a nice breeze on the bike I was able to pull off a 2:30. The swim was slow at 30 minutes but the bike and run turned out pretty well with a 1:13 on a road bike with aero bars and a 42 minute run. I was able to get 5th in my AG out of about 40 people and placed 61 out of 829 participants.

Congrats on a FOP (front of pack) finish! Super speedy run specially after a two hour warm up.
2013-09-03 12:23 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Looking to continue the triathlon goodness with a mid-October sprint, but I'm a man without a plan (and I'm coach-less)! I had stuck to a 16-week couch-to-sprint plan from BT, which worked well. One thought I had was to just replicate the last 6 weeks of the 16-week plan, or possibly to keep increasing the workout durations on that plan to increase the time spent in each discipline. Any guidance on finding a plan over the next 6 weeks to sustain and improve on the gains I just made?

Thanks.
2013-09-03 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Yes ma'am. My olympic race went better than anticipated. The race was delayed due to a thunderstorm rolling through but right after the storm the sunrise broke through the clouds and temps remained in the 70s for the entire race. I was a little worried since there was a breeze of about 12-15mph from the north and the lake was so warm that wetsuits weren't allowed. I have never done open water swims without one so I didn't know how bad my time would be. The swim went ok despite having some goggle malfunctions but I was able to quickly correct it and work on drafting, which makes a noticeable difference I must say. I knew my swim would be slow so I hurried up through transition and onto the bike course right into the wind. It was a bit of a struggle but the crowd in Des Moines was phenomenal with people on every mile of the course. Even Gumby showed up to cheer on the cyclists. I did not have a bike computer attached for this race so my pace went by feel. After getting done with the bike I was able to do my favorite event, the run. By this time in the race I figured I would pull off a 2:40 if I was lucky. I ran with a teammate for the first 3 miles which was a huge moral boost and then a faster paced runner passed me so I clung onto him for the final 3 miles. I found out that when I am with faster runners my pace seems less strenuous. I was able to have a strong kick at the finish passing 3 other people. When I found out my time I was a little surprised to say the least. With no wetsuit and a nice breeze on the bike I was able to pull off a 2:30. The swim was slow at 30 minutes but the bike and run turned out pretty well with a 1:13 on a road bike with aero bars and a 42 minute run. I was able to get 5th in my AG out of about 40 people and placed 61 out of 829 participants.

Great race! Sounds like a beautiful morning and a great effort!

2013-09-03 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Sorry, didn't mean to shout. Not sure how my typing turned to all caps in that last message. Anyway...

I am getting nervous for my race Saturday. First HIM. 8 hr time limit. I am slow. So... Here are my goals and strategy. Any comments, encouragement or prayers for cool weather on Saturday in Virginia will be greatly appreciated!

GOALS - doable - amazing - bonus

SWIM - 55 min (2:36 min/100yd) - 42 min (2:02 min/100yd) - beat husband's time from RRox (46:06)

BIKE - 3:52 (15 mph) - 3:40 (15.5 mph) - no bonus goal. save legs for run.

RUN - 3:00 (13:45 min/mile) - 2:40 (12:12 min/mile) - half mary PR (2:37:47)

OVERALL - finish - 8 hrs - 7:30

My swim goals are ambitious and depend a lot on conditions. My bike goals are conservative, in line with being able to run afterward! My run goals are ambitious too. Everything could get screwed up by heat, or wind, or GI cramps. We'll see...

NUTRITION/STRATEGY:

T0 - good breakfast; bathroom before race; bike lube; luna bar when leaving transition.

SWIM - concentrate on sighting, wide arms, kicking, and moving water; peace but hard effort.

T1 - swap gear; down a BOOST shake; breathe easy

BIKE - banana at 15 min; PB cookies at 1:15; 2 gels; 2 bottles gatorade/TRS; 1 to 4 bottles water; start easy & shoot for 15.7 mph; do the hills as easy as I can; pick up pace after mile 42 if I can; don't overdo it!!

T2 - finish gatorade/TRS if needed; sunscreen on shoulders, arms, face; swap gear; breathe easy

RUN - can walk aid stations; water + 2 gels if I can stomach them (or possibly other stuff at aid stations); listen to my body re:food (not re:pain! ha!); start at 12+ min/mile (no starting at 11 min/mile!); pick up pace at mile 8 if I feel up to it; do whatever it takes to finish.

2013-09-03 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by PsyTri Looking to continue the triathlon goodness with a mid-October sprint, but I'm a man without a plan (and I'm coach-less)! I had stuck to a 16-week couch-to-sprint plan from BT, which worked well. One thought I had was to just replicate the last 6 weeks of the 16-week plan, or possibly to keep increasing the workout durations on that plan to increase the time spent in each discipline. Any guidance on finding a plan over the next 6 weeks to sustain and improve on the gains I just made? Thanks.

If you increase times, try to follow the 10% rule to avoid injury: Increase by ~10% on weeks you're increasing. Take a recovery week every 3 weeks or so.

2013-09-03 9:19 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Looking to continue the triathlon goodness with a mid-October sprint, but I'm a man without a plan (and I'm coach-less)! I had stuck to a 16-week couch-to-sprint plan from BT, which worked well. One thought I had was to just replicate the last 6 weeks of the 16-week plan, or possibly to keep increasing the workout durations on that plan to increase the time spent in each discipline. Any guidance on finding a plan over the next 6 weeks to sustain and improve on the gains I just made?

Thanks.

Repeating the last 6 weeks works. You could also find another sprint program and follow the last 6 weeks of that instead of using the couch to sprint, use a beginner sprint program.
2013-09-03 9:34 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Thank you everyone for the support!
2013-09-03 9:38 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Sorry, didn't mean to shout. Not sure how my typing turned to all caps in that last message. Anyway...

I am getting nervous for my race Saturday. First HIM. 8 hr time limit. I am slow. So... Here are my goals and strategy. Any comments, encouragement or prayers for cool weather on Saturday in Virginia will be greatly appreciated!

GOALS - doable - amazing - bonus

SWIM - 55 min (2:36 min/100yd) - 42 min (2:02 min/100yd) - beat husband's time from RRox (46:06)

BIKE - 3:52 (15 mph) - 3:40 (15.5 mph) - no bonus goal. save legs for run.

RUN - 3:00 (13:45 min/mile) - 2:40 (12:12 min/mile) - half mary PR (2:37:47)

OVERALL - finish - 8 hrs - 7:30

My swim goals are ambitious and depend a lot on conditions. My bike goals are conservative, in line with being able to run afterward! My run goals are ambitious too. Everything could get screwed up by heat, or wind, or GI cramps. We'll see...

NUTRITION/STRATEGY:

T0 - good breakfast; bathroom before race; bike lube; luna bar when leaving transition.

SWIM - concentrate on sighting, wide arms, kicking, and moving water; peace but hard effort.

T1 - swap gear; down a BOOST shake; breathe easy

BIKE - banana at 15 min; PB cookies at 1:15; 2 gels; 2 bottles gatorade/TRS; 1 to 4 bottles water; start easy & shoot for 15.7 mph; do the hills as easy as I can; pick up pace after mile 42 if I can; don't overdo it!!

T2 - finish gatorade/TRS if needed; sunscreen on shoulders, arms, face; swap gear; breathe easy

RUN - can walk aid stations; water + 2 gels if I can stomach them (or possibly other stuff at aid stations); listen to my body re:food (not re:pain! ha!); start at 12+ min/mile (no starting at 11 min/mile!); pick up pace at mile 8 if I feel up to it; do whatever it takes to finish.

A couple things come to mind.

1. Stay in the moment during the race.
- While swimming, don't think about what's next, think about form and relaxing.
- When biking, don't think about the run, it will come when it's time. Think about pedaling in smooth circles, keeping cadence high, drinking when thirsty and taking in your calories per plan. Don't chase anyone that passes you.
- on the run, drink to thirst, take in whatever calories and electrolytes you can and keep moving
- smile and thank the volunteers, high five kids on the run

2. 2 gels per aid station seems like a lot unless you practiced that on long runs.

3. Did you practice the boost shake during your bricks?

4. You can do this!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41