Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Trump

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by Brit Abroad

trump, and most of his supporters, are racists.  to say otherwise is completely farcical. 

Does Trump have racist supporters?  Of course he does.  Does Hillary have racist supporters?  Of course she does.
I would however counter that neither of them have any more racist supporters than the other  

dmiller's comment was ridiculous, but this one is a close second. Everyone sees it but you. Or maybe you just can't admit to yourself that you're sharing a presidential candidate with a bunch of avowed, openly racist people? There have been countless, Tony, countless examples of overt racism among Trump's supporters since the campaign started. White kids chanting "Trump, Trump, Trump" at black and Hispanic kids at basketball games, comments like the kind that LB referenced in his "elephant in the room" post about Trump finally putting the minorities back in their place, not to mention David Duke's endorsement of him, etc. Ok? What's the equivalent to a KKK member endorsing Trump on the Clinton side? And don't say Louis Farrakhan, because he's voting for Trump too. To draw an equivalence between the racism among Trump supporters and Hillary's supporters is just plain old denial. I don't' even think you believe it yourself; you just can't admit that you share a Presidential candidate with these idiots, so you're trying to make yourself feel better about it by pretending that it's the same on both sides.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a Trump supporter wearing a KKK hood.  
http://toprightnews.com/trump-protester-wearing-kkk-hood-meets-black-trump-supporter-does-not-end-well-for-him/

(and yes this idiot deserved to get the crap beat out of him)

So, do you feel there is no racism among African Americans?  I mean the way you talk the Democrats have no racism at all?  
Are you so blind as to think that only people you disagree with politically are racist?  I find that absolutely astonishing.

2016-03-22 3:37 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by ejshowers
Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

This Presidential election is pretty much over.
Whoever is the nominee at the DNC will win the election.

Rubio was the only candidate who was 1) electable, and 2) had a decent chance against either Democratic candidate.
Now he's gone, it's essentially over.

The Republican establishment knows it, too. They are the reason Kasich is still running.
He was persuaded to stay in the race, knowing that if Trump won Ohio, he'd be completely unstoppable.
With Kasich remaining in the race (even though he mathematically cannot win the nomination outright), it maintains the lone hope for the GOP...a contested convention.
A contested convention is basically a nominee mulligan, and will allow the GOP establishment to regain control, and pick an electable candidate.

Outside of a contested RNC, the Dems will be handed the office.
Trump is 100% unelectable (like it or not), Cruz is too right wing to readjust and win over "independents" (besides also being inelgible for POTUS), and Kasich mathematically can't win.

I get your point of view, but to be honest it's been dead wrong at every turn so far on the Republican side.  "There was no way Trump would ever win and he was always just a fluke..."

Trump has only been shaped by the media to those outside of the Republican party.  His appeal is extremely broad and he will do much better than the media is trying to tell everyone.  He's not a racist, he's not a bigot, he's not a hater.  The media just wants you to believe that so you don't vote for him.

Personally I love that many on the Democratic side share the same attitude you do because they'll lay down and likely not even come out to vote.  I mean, there's no way Trump can win, right...

Personally, I take somewhat of a contrarian view to these things.  The media always wants the Republicans to nominate the candidate that they say is the "only one who can win" and he has lost the last two times (by a lot).  So, now that the media is telling us who "can" win, we know almost for certain that he's the candidate that won't win so we have to look elsewhere.  The candidate that they say can never win (Trump) is by far the most likely to win on the Republican side based on my peer reviewed scientific analysis.  ;-

Rubio is an absolutely embarrassment to the Republican party and would have been a joke candidate in the general election (Jeb would be a close second).  I'm pretty sure just about everyone would have done better than him.  Makes you wonder why the media was pushing him and Jeb so hard doesn't it?

trump, and most of his supporters, are racists.  to say otherwise is completely farcical. 

Wow, I am a fairly consistent left o' center fellow here, and I disagree with your assertion. Donald Trump, in my opinion, is not a racist. He doesn't see black and white, he sees green. ...and, I'll add, any poll you see about a general election right now means nothing. November is completely up in the air. btw, I also believe Trump is much more electable in the general than Cruz. just my 2 cents.
I don't agree that general election polls mean nothing, not much, but something a bit more than nothing. And, as a big anti-Trump guy, I'd rather see these polls than the opposite. Factor in Trumps huge negative favorability (-28.5), which is even worse among minorities and women, and the demographic and electoral college advantage for the Ds, I don't see him winning in November unless Hillary implodes or is indicted.

The irony is that Hillary's favorability rating is barely behind Trumps and everyone already knows her.  Trump still has a lot of room to convince people he's not the monster that the media has made him out to be.  Hillary's pretty much saddled with what she is, it will be hard for her to change anyones mind.

Not that Clinton's number is good, but you really need to bone up on your math if you consider a 56% difference between their net favorability numbers (-28.5 for Trump versus -12.5 for Clinton) "barely" different.

The truth is that both Hillary and Trump have huge name recognition - near 100% - so moving their favorability number will be tough. Trump's "monster" status is of his own making, and his large negative favorability number has not changed since he started his campaign in June of 2015. It is magical thinking to believe he can move that mark noticeably to the positive among the general electorate and especially minorities, while at the same time Hillary will be spending 500 million or more on ads showing what a monster he is by simply reposting actual video and audio of him talking.
2016-03-22 3:41 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

This Presidential election is pretty much over.
Whoever is the nominee at the DNC will win the election.

Rubio was the only candidate who was 1) electable, and 2) had a decent chance against either Democratic candidate.
Now he's gone, it's essentially over.

The Republican establishment knows it, too. They are the reason Kasich is still running.
He was persuaded to stay in the race, knowing that if Trump won Ohio, he'd be completely unstoppable.
With Kasich remaining in the race (even though he mathematically cannot win the nomination outright), it maintains the lone hope for the GOP...a contested convention.
A contested convention is basically a nominee mulligan, and will allow the GOP establishment to regain control, and pick an electable candidate.

Outside of a contested RNC, the Dems will be handed the office.
Trump is 100% unelectable (like it or not), Cruz is too right wing to readjust and win over "independents" (besides also being inelgible for POTUS), and Kasich mathematically can't win.

I get your point of view, but to be honest it's been dead wrong at every turn so far on the Republican side.  "There was no way Trump would ever win and he was always just a fluke..."

Trump has only been shaped by the media to those outside of the Republican party.  His appeal is extremely broad and he will do much better than the media is trying to tell everyone.  He's not a racist, he's not a bigot, he's not a hater.  The media just wants you to believe that so you don't vote for him.

Personally I love that many on the Democratic side share the same attitude you do because they'll lay down and likely not even come out to vote.  I mean, there's no way Trump can win, right...

Personally, I take somewhat of a contrarian view to these things.  The media always wants the Republicans to nominate the candidate that they say is the "only one who can win" and he has lost the last two times (by a lot).  So, now that the media is telling us who "can" win, we know almost for certain that he's the candidate that won't win so we have to look elsewhere.  The candidate that they say can never win (Trump) is by far the most likely to win on the Republican side based on my peer reviewed scientific analysis.  ;-

Rubio is an absolutely embarrassment to the Republican party and would have been a joke candidate in the general election (Jeb would be a close second).  I'm pretty sure just about everyone would have done better than him.  Makes you wonder why the media was pushing him and Jeb so hard doesn't it?

Wow, I am a fairly consistent left o' center fellow here, and I disagree with your assertion. Donald Trump, in my opinion, is not a racist. He doesn't see black and white, he sees green. ...and, I'll add, any poll you see about a general election right now means nothing. November is completely up in the air. btw, I also believe Trump is much more electable in the general than Cruz. just my 2 cents.
I don't agree that general election polls mean nothing, not much, but something a bit more than nothing. And, as a big anti-Trump guy, I'd rather see these polls than the opposite. Factor in Trumps huge negative favorability (-28.5), which is even worse among minorities and women, and the demographic and electoral college advantage for the Ds, I don't see him winning in November unless Hillary implodes or is indicted.

The irony is that Hillary's favorability rating is barely behind Trumps and everyone already knows her.  Trump still has a lot of room to convince people he's not the monster that the media has made him out to be.  Hillary's pretty much saddled with what she is, it will be hard for her to change anyones mind.

Not that Clinton's number is good, but you really need to bone up on your math if you consider a 56% difference between their net favorability numbers (-28.5 for Trump versus -12.5 for Clinton) "barely" different. The truth is that both Hillary and Trump have huge name recognition - near 100% - so moving their favorability number will be tough. Trump's "monster" status is of his own making, and his large negative favorability number has not changed since he started his campaign in June of 2015. It is magical thinking to believe he can move that mark noticeably to the positive among the general electorate and especially minorities, while at the same time Hillary will be spending 500 million or more on ads showing what a monster he is by simply reposting actual video and audio of him talking.

I was going by the NYT poll I just linked above.  I believe she was -22 or something like that.

2016-03-22 4:59 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
2016-03-22 5:47 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Does Trump have racist supporters?  Of course he does.  Does Hillary have racist supporters?  Of course she does.
I would however counter that neither of them have any more racist supporters than the other  

dmiller's comment was ridiculous, but this one is a close second. Everyone sees it but you. Or maybe you just can't admit to yourself that you're sharing a presidential candidate with a bunch of avowed, openly racist people? There have been countless, Tony, countless examples of overt racism among Trump's supporters since the campaign started. White kids chanting "Trump, Trump, Trump" at black and Hispanic kids at basketball games, comments like the kind that LB referenced in his "elephant in the room" post about Trump finally putting the minorities back in their place, not to mention David Duke's endorsement of him, etc. Ok? What's the equivalent to a KKK member endorsing Trump on the Clinton side? And don't say Louis Farrakhan, because he's voting for Trump too. To draw an equivalence between the racism among Trump supporters and Hillary's supporters is just plain old denial. I don't' even think you believe it yourself; you just can't admit that you share a Presidential candidate with these idiots, so you're trying to make yourself feel better about it by pretending that it's the same on both sides.

http://toprightnews.com/trump-protester-wearing-kkk-hood-meets-black-trump-supporter-does-not-end-well-for-him/

So, do you feel there is no racism among African Americans?  I mean the way you talk the Democrats have no racism at all?  
Are you so blind as to think that only people you disagree with politically are racist?  I find that absolutely astonishing.

Here's a picture of a Trump supporter in his Klan robes. He's not wearing his hood, true, but we can let that slide, can't we?

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/politics/kkk-leader-david-duke-trump-...

As for the rest of your post...Wow, that's an impressive collection of straw men you've got there. LOL.
This is a pretty typical response from someone who's got no defense and you know it. No ones calling you a racist, Tony (well, dmiller, maybe) but to act as though Hillary and Trump have an equal number of racists behind them is such a blatent attempt to create a false equivalence in order to deflect from what is an obvious truth, it's really kinda sad. Just cop to it Tony. Everyone sees it, even you. The only difference is that you're the only one too stubborn to admit it.
2016-03-22 6:26 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

for the record, i wasn't calling you racist tony.  And maybe trump isn't racist, but the alternative is that he says a great deal of incredibly insensitive and offensive things to minority groups. either way i don't like it.  AND. its the reason that a large number of his supporters, yes, a large number, ARE racist.  He says the things they wish they could openly say.

2016-03-22 6:44 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Here's a picture of a Trump supporter in his Klan robes. He's not wearing his hood, true, but we can let that slide, can't we? http://m.nydailynews.com/news/politics/kkk-leader-david-duke-trump-... As for the rest of your post...Wow, that's an impressive collection of straw men you've got there. LOL. This is a pretty typical response from someone who's got no defense and you know it. No ones calling you a racist, Tony (well, dmiller, maybe) but to act as though Hillary and Trump have an equal number of racists behind them is such a blatent attempt to create a false equivalence in order to deflect from what is an obvious truth, it's really kinda sad. Just cop to it Tony. Everyone sees it, even you. The only difference is that you're the only one too stubborn to admit it.

So I guess you've proven my point.  We both have a picture of a single KKK supporter for each party (granted the first one supported sanders).  So, we're even.  lol

Does the Black Panther party and its members support the Democratic Party?  Are they a racist organization?
Does the Nation of Islam and it's members support the Democratic Party?  Are they a racist organization?
Does David Duke and his followers support Trump?  Are they a racist organization?

You're so stuck in your ideology that you refuse to even see that there could possibly be any racists that live on your side of the pendulum.

So, what's your real evidence other than you "feel" that they're racist?

2016-03-22 6:47 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

for the record, i wasn't calling you racist tony.  And maybe trump isn't racist, but the alternative is that he says a great deal of incredibly insensitive and offensive things to minority groups. either way i don't like it.  AND. its the reason that a large number of his supporters, yes, a large number, ARE racist.  He says the things they wish they could openly say.

I know you weren't, and I do agree that he's said some insensitive and offensive things that many people understandably don't like. 

As for the belief that a large number of his supporters ARE racist, I ask you as well what your proof is other than you just "feel" that way.

Personally, I think it's a media (and liberal) driven meme that is being used to drive yet a further wedge between everyone.  I mean, the only way a person could legitimately support Trump is if they're a racist, right?  I know a lot of Trump supporters and I always ask them why they support him.  There are numerous reasons from a broad set of people and not a one of them are because he "says the racist things I can't say but believe".  I mean seriously, that's just silly at any level.

2016-03-22 6:56 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I will also add that the reason you don't see most of Trumps supporters speaking as to why they support Trump is because of the intolerance on the other side.  Every time I post anything Trump related on Facebook (which is pretty rare) I get shouted down very quickly by people that are my Friends.  The vile hatred that exists for anyone who dares to mention that they could support an outsider in Washington is what is despicable.  My FB is flooded with all kinds of Bernie and Hillary stuff and everyone (including myself) is polite and tolerant of them doing it, but don't you dare post about Trump.

This is why Trumps meme of the "Silent Majority" is such an accurate reflection of his supporters.  They're people that are tired of getting shouted down and told who they are to support.  They're tired of the status quo of corrupt politician after politician streaming through office and raping our great country.  To call us racists is laughable and honestly shows where the real intolerance is.

The real elephant in the room is the complete intolerance exhibited by the Progressives who refuse to give any opposing viewpoint a voice and do everything in their power to shut it down.

2016-03-22 8:15 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Here's a picture of a Trump supporter in his Klan robes. He's not wearing his hood, true, but we can let that slide, can't we? http://m.nydailynews.com/news/politics/kkk-leader-david-duke-trump-... As for the rest of your post...Wow, that's an impressive collection of straw men you've got there. LOL. This is a pretty typical response from someone who's got no defense and you know it. No ones calling you a racist, Tony (well, dmiller, maybe) but to act as though Hillary and Trump have an equal number of racists behind them is such a blatent attempt to create a false equivalence in order to deflect from what is an obvious truth, it's really kinda sad. Just cop to it Tony. Everyone sees it, even you. The only difference is that you're the only one too stubborn to admit it.

So I guess you've proven my point.  We both have a picture of a single KKK supporter for each party (granted the first one supported sanders).  So, we're even.  lol

Does the Black Panther party and its members support the Democratic Party?  Are they a racist organization?
Does the Nation of Islam and it's members support the Democratic Party?  Are they a racist organization?
Does David Duke and his followers support Trump?  Are they a racist organization?

You're so stuck in your ideology that you refuse to even see that there could possibly be any racists that live on your side of the pendulum.

Dude, do you even know what the Naton of Islam is? You know that Louis Farrakhan spoke out in favor of Trump, right?

And I never said there weren't any racists who voted for Democrats, Mr I-don't-actually-have-an-argument-so-I'm-going-to-continue-to-put-up-straw men-until-someone-saves-me, but for you to suggest that there are an equal number of racists voting for Hillary as there are voting for Trump is laughable, especially when Trump's boasting both the white supremacist AND the Nation of Islam endorsement. Why don't you ask Left Brain if it's just a "feeling".

Seriously, Tony, it's like you have no response to anything anymore except to desperately try to claim false equivalence even when anyone with a shred of objectivity can see there isn't one.
2016-03-22 8:24 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I know you weren't, and I do agree that he's said some insensitive and offensive things that many people understandably don't like. 

As for the belief that a large number of his supporters ARE racist, I ask you as well what your proof is other than you just "feel" that way.

Personally, I think it's a media (and liberal) driven meme that is being used to drive yet a further wedge between everyone.  I mean, the only way a person could legitimately support Trump is if they're a racist, right?  I know a lot of Trump supporters and I always ask them why they support him.  There are numerous reasons from a broad set of people and not a one of them are because he "says the racist things I can't say but believe".  I mean seriously, that's just silly at any level.

I don't think your reasons for supporting him have anything to do with racism. Not at all. But your continued refusal to even acknowledge that there is an ugly racist undertone to many of his rallies and that many of his supporters support him because they believe he gives a voice to their own bigotry, damages your credibity. IMHO.

2016-03-22 9:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I don't think your reasons for supporting him have anything to do with racism. Not at all. But your continued refusal to even acknowledge that there is an ugly racist undertone to many of his rallies and that many of his supporters support him because they believe he gives a voice to their own bigotry, damages your credibity. IMHO.

Ok, but don't underestimate the people who are tired of being called racists just because they don't like their way home from work blocked , or just want to go about their business without acknowledging a protest or the protestors, or just want to enjoy a meal without a protest group coming into the diner chanting.  It gets old and tiresome pretty quick.  I know plenty of people who will vote Trump as a way of saying no to that type of behavior.....which really has nothing to do with racism or 1st amendment rights and everything to do with not wanting to be harassed.   The idea of what is actually protected under the 1st amendment has gotten fairly derailed these days.  Your right to protest ends at my right to freedom of movement......it always has. 

And....if you want to see an ugly racial overtone, watch one of your black Police Officers spat upon and called the most vile names you can imagine at a Black Lives Matter protest.    I've witnessed deplorable behavior from every side......truly.

Still, yes, I know that there is a racial undertone to a lot of Trump's support......but that doesn't mean it's all from racists.

And yes, absolutely, I realize that my real-time view is not the view that the majority of people have (that's why I love it so much BTW), but it does give me a platform to understand both sides.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-03-22 9:19 PM
2016-03-22 9:23 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Dude, do you even know what the Naton of Islam is? You know that Louis Farrakhan spoke out in favor of Trump, right? And I never said there weren't any racists who voted for Democrats, Mr I-don't-actually-have-an-argument-so-I'm-going-to-continue-to-put-up-straw men-until-someone-saves-me, but for you to suggest that there are an equal number of racists voting for Hillary as there are voting for Trump is laughable, especially when Trump's boasting both the white supremacist AND the Nation of Islam endorsement. Why don't you ask Left Brain if it's just a "feeling". Seriously, Tony, it's like you have no response to anything anymore except to desperately try to claim false equivalence even when anyone with a shred of objectivity can see there isn't one.

OK, mr shout me down.  WTF is your evidence other than your prejudice towards others who don't think like you do?

2016-03-22 9:24 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

How many rally's have you been to?  I've been to three.  THERE ARE NO RACIST UNDERTONES AT HIS RALLIES, IT ONLY EXISTS IN YOUR HEAD!!!

2016-03-22 9:27 PM

User image

Pro

How many rally's have you been to?  I've been to three.  THERE ARE NO RACIST UNDERTONES AT HIS RALLIES, IT ONLY EXISTS IN YOUR HEAD!!!

Well, in fairness, that's not 100% true either.....although, like ChineseDemocracy pointed out, the media has overplayed quite a bit of it.

2016-03-22 9:43 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

Well, in fairness, that's not 100% true either.....although, like ChineseDemocracy pointed out, the media has overplayed quite a bit of it.

How many have you been to?

2016-03-22 10:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I wasn't inside, but I heard plenty of racial slurs thrown by people protesting and people headed into the rally.  It's really not deniable that this entire election year is racially charged.......there are plenty of Trump's supporters who have earned their share of it.  You might need to get out of Iowa brother.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-03-22 10:54 PM
2016-03-22 11:00 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I wasn't inside, but I heard plenty of racial slurs thrown by people protesting and people headed into the rally.  It's really not deniable that this entire election year is racially charged.......there are plenty of Trump's supporters who have earned their share of it.  You might need to get out of Iowa brother.

Fortunately I escaped Iowa in 1991. I saw racial undertones outside one of the Trump rallys but it was the protesters shouting racial crap at us. The people I saw were very calm and mostly just laughed at the pathetic bigoted protesters.
2016-03-23 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Fortunately I escaped Iowa in 1991. I saw racial undertones outside one of the Trump rallys but it was the protesters shouting racial crap at us. The people I saw were very calm and mostly just laughed at the pathetic bigoted protesters.

tony, is it possible that the rallies in your area were more civil than some that have been held in other parts of the country?

2016-03-23 8:32 AM

User image

Pro

tony, is it possible that the rallies in your area were more civil than some that have been held in other parts of the country?

I know where you live, Tony.....I thought you had been to at least one rally in Iowa.

Dave, it works both ways.  The fact is, if nobody jumps up and disrupts the rally then you aren't going to hear anything racial from a Trump crowd....so where does it originate and who is the problem?  I don't have the answer to that, I'm just asking.  One thing I know, the 1st amendment DOES NOT give anyone the right to trample the 1st amendment rights of others......that is something that I feel has been lost in most of this.

2016-03-23 9:14 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Oh for sure they were, and there's no question that in LB's part of the country where there's been ongoing racial issues things will be much more tense.  However, my original premise still holds true because if a bunch of racists show up and bash people at a Trump rally in St. Louis and a bunch of racists in the Trump crowd lash back they're both still racists and they were both racists before Trump ever came onto the scene.

I apologize for my tone yesterday because for whatever reason JMK was rubbing me the wrong way.  Don't worry, I still love you JMK.

I get very frustrated when people take a guy like David Duke who supports Trump (kind of) and then try to parlay it into the majority of Trumps supporters being racists.  Louis Farrahkahn did the same thing to Obama back in 2008 and he rightfully disavowed him and his organization.  Idiots have every right to support whoever they want, but for anyone to group everyone else with the idiot is just wrong.
Trump has followers that are racist, murderers, bigots, antisemites, thief's, adulterers, etc.
Hillary has followers that are racist, murderers, bigots, antisemites, thief's, adulterers, etc.

It's not a straw man, it's the truth.  Obviously none of us know how to quantify the number of racists that support Trump or the number of racists that support Hillary because it's a heart issue for each and every person.

I'm a strong believer in racism being a dying disease that will take many generations to be fully cured.  My grandma was an overt and outspoken racist, my mother is a closet racist who treats people well, but secretly calls black people the N word behind closed doors and always avoids them.  I grew up in a different era and was always disgusted by their behavior and am outwardly and inwardly loving of minorities.  I still harbored some prejudices from my upbringing, but those were easily overcome through integration (mostly in the Navy) with people from other walks of life.
(not that it matters, but my mom and grandma are both lifelong Democrats)
Racism was very accepted in our society not very many generations ago, just like intolerance and hatred towards sexuality has been within an even shorter timespan.  These traits aren't specific to a political ideology, they're based on family's and sometimes cultural/regional influences but they effect everyone.

What I don't like currently is how we as a society fully accept and even encourage hatred and bigotry based on financial classes as well as political parties.  Nobody in this thread would openly deride another for their sexual identity, but have zero problem lambasting somebody for not paying their fair share or not agreeing with a political topic.  Perhaps it will take a few more generations to get past this current cloud we all live under.

I think I'm going to take a break from BT for a while.  I consider many of you close friends even though I haven't met any of you in person.  However, I just think we tend to yell at each other with very little education or swaying of opinions.  I like to engage in environments where people look at an opinion and come up with counter opinions or defend why they believe what they believe.  BT used to be that way, but I think that's lost.  Looking back, I've likely contributed to that culture as well, which makes me sad.

Take care guys and gals.

2016-03-23 9:33 AM

User image

Pro

Oh for sure they were, and there's no question that in LB's part of the country where there's been ongoing racial issues things will be much more tense.  However, my original premise still holds true because if a bunch of racists show up and bash people at a Trump rally in St. Louis and a bunch of racists in the Trump crowd lash back they're both still racists and they were both racists before Trump ever came onto the scene.

I apologize for my tone yesterday because for whatever reason JMK was rubbing me the wrong way.  Don't worry, I still love you JMK.

I get very frustrated when people take a guy like David Duke who supports Trump (kind of) and then try to parlay it into the majority of Trumps supporters being racists.  Louis Farrahkahn did the same thing to Obama back in 2008 and he rightfully disavowed him and his organization.  Idiots have every right to support whoever they want, but for anyone to group everyone else with the idiot is just wrong.
Trump has followers that are racist, murderers, bigots, antisemites, thief's, adulterers, etc.
Hillary has followers that are racist, murderers, bigots, antisemites, thief's, adulterers, etc.

It's not a straw man, it's the truth.  Obviously none of us know how to quantify the number of racists that support Trump or the number of racists that support Hillary because it's a heart issue for each and every person.

I'm a strong believer in racism being a dying disease that will take many generations to be fully cured.  My grandma was an overt and outspoken racist, my mother is a closet racist who treats people well, but secretly calls black people the N word behind closed doors and always avoids them.  I grew up in a different era and was always disgusted by their behavior and am outwardly and inwardly loving of minorities.  I still harbored some prejudices from my upbringing, but those were easily overcome through integration (mostly in the Navy) with people from other walks of life.
(not that it matters, but my mom and grandma are both lifelong Democrats)
Racism was very accepted in our society not very many generations ago, just like intolerance and hatred towards sexuality has been within an even shorter timespan.  These traits aren't specific to a political ideology, they're based on family's and sometimes cultural/regional influences but they effect everyone.

What I don't like currently is how we as a society fully accept and even encourage hatred and bigotry based on financial classes as well as political parties.  Nobody in this thread would openly deride another for their sexual identity, but have zero problem lambasting somebody for not paying their fair share or not agreeing with a political topic.  Perhaps it will take a few more generations to get past this current cloud we all live under.

I think I'm going to take a break from BT for a while.  I consider many of you close friends even though I haven't met any of you in person.  However, I just think we tend to yell at each other with very little education or swaying of opinions.  I like to engage in environments where people look at an opinion and come up with counter opinions or defend why they believe what they believe.  BT used to be that way, but I think that's lost.  Looking back, I've likely contributed to that culture as well, which makes me sad.

Take care guys and gals.

Quitter!!!

Look man, this in one of the most civil discussions that can be found on these topics on the interwebs.......it'd be good to have you stay around. 

I can't believe you went  the "BT used to be that way" route......do you not remember the last election cycle? 

2016-03-23 12:46 PM

User image

Originally posted by crusevegas

he was sued twice for not renting apartment to African americans.

he doesn't condemn the white supremacist groups who campaign for him

His stance on the central park five, even after they have been exponerated

when he said the black lives matter protester deserved to be assaulted

when a latino man was assaulted, he says his supporters are passionate and that he stands behind them

he said racist things about jews being good with money

and he called the illegal immigrants criminals and rapists

Provide factual evidence to back up what you have said. 

You are worst than a racist, using the term to describe people who disagree with you. It diminishes the actual meaning of the word, completely despicable. 

You may want to look up the definition of racist. 

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2015/12/03/donald-trump-republican-jewish-coalition-negotiator-bts.cnn

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/inside-the-governments-racial-bias-case-against-donald-trumps-company-and-how-he-fought-it/2016/01/23/fb90163e-bfbe-11e5-bcda-62a36b394160_story.html

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/28/politics/donald-trump-white-supremacists/

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/07/politics/donald-trump-muslim-ban-immigration/

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/donald-trump-death-penalty/420069/

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2016/feb/17/donald-trump-central-park-five-jogger-death-penalty-new-york-video

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/21/politics/trump-muslims-surveillance/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/22/black-activist-punched-at-donald-trump-rally-in-birmingham/

I have to work at the moment, I can bring some more examples later if you want to be a dick again.

The first link took me to a blank page.

How many times does Trump have to disavow the white supremacists? He clearly did disavow them during the Christie endorsement the day before and immediately after that interview you linked. Have you disavowed the kkk today, does your lack of disavowing them everyday make you a racists?

The Apartment Lawsuit in the 1970's looked more to me like he was discriminating against welfare/subsidized housing people than black people. 

On the balance, please explain to me in detail why you think those are evidence that Trump is a racists and I'll respond. 

There are a lot of things Trump says that make me cringe, but he doesn't come close to spouting the vile stuff I've seen others do and he nor his supporters go to other candidates with the express intent of denying him the ability to speak and those attending his events to hear what he has to say. 

You and your like minded friends who think it's appropriate to call everyone who disagrees with you that they are racists are truly acting in an un American manner. You appear to have no interest in discussing problems or solutions but yelling and calling people names, so the only thing that comes through is words that you agree with. 

What I am going to say, I mean sincerely, not as a criticism but as some helpful advise, when people are talking, try, try the best you can to understand what they are saying or attempting to say, rather than trying to fit what they have said into what you want to hear. 

Oh, and it appears looking at one of your posts, you've looked up the definition of racist and have admitted you are wrong? Yes? No?

2016-03-23 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Quitter!!!

Look man, this in one of the most civil discussions that can be found on these topics on the interwebs.......it'd be good to have you stay around. 

On this we agree. Listen, we both get fired up because it's an important topic that means a lot to everyone.

I've said a million times that you don't get any benefit from hearing "the other side's" point of view unless it's given to you by someone who actually shares that view. I'm not going to learn why conservatives or gun advocates or libertarians think the way they do from Moveon.org's website telling me, "This is what conservatives think." Neither will a conservative learn anything about how liberals or progressives think by reading infowars. Having people from both sides of the discussion is what makes COJ so valuable. And if you, and others, get fired up, just understand that it's all part of having an open dialogue. It's not easy to have a light shined on a part of ourselves that we'd rather not admit was there, but being part of these debates means we've all had to do it, and it's hard, but it's the only path to understanding. If you leave, you take your open mind with you, and the conversation would be poorer for your absence.
2016-03-23 1:38 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Quitter!!!

On this we agree. Listen, we both get fired up because it's an important topic that means a lot to everyone.

I've said a million times that you don't get any benefit from hearing "the other side's" point of view unless it's given to you by someone who actually shares that view. I'm not going to learn why conservatives or gun advocates or libertarians think the way they do from Moveon.org's website telling me, "This is what conservatives think." Neither will a conservative learn anything about how liberals or progressives think by reading infowars. Having people from both sides of the discussion is what makes COJ so valuable. And if you, and others, get fired up, just understand that it's all part of having an open dialogue. It's not easy to have a light shined on a part of ourselves that we'd rather not admit was there, but being part of these debates means we've all had to do it, and it's hard, but it's the only path to understanding. If you leave, you take your open mind with you, and the conversation would be poorer for your absence.

Little confession here. I am reading your political discussions first thing every morning when I come to work (don't tell my boss). Since I was not involved with US politics too much, it is very helpful to read these argument exchanges from people who know something about either side, as well as history and politics. Like JMK said, I would probably not get enough info from crazy/fancy websites (I googled "republican party" once years ago when I first came to US..).
Think of it as whatever you're saying - and the responses you're getting - is a learning experience for someone sort-of new to this political environment. Especially, since I *may* have to face some serious dilemma in November...
(please stay!!)
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Trump Rss Feed  

of 40