BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-05-06 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-April 26-TERP VS. BF!!!
20 days to go for me (Ottawa 1/2), the training seems to be on track with what I planned so I am very happy about that. Spending that weekend camping outside Ottawa. Ottawa is about 4.5 / 5 hours drive from Barrie. I have the Friday and Monday off from work this year so I wont have to rush. Last year I did this race, we left on friday night and was back Sunday afternoon, way too rushed. My parents are joining me this year to chear me on, they are camping around there as well. I am really looking forward to this race, it had the best racing atmosphere out of all the races I did last year.

2008-05-07 7:47 AM

User image

Regular
Go Nathan!!! If you guys have been looking at Nathan's logs you will see that he has been running very fast lately. He should do very well!!

I am going to try and do a bike LT test this evening. Wish me luck. Bill, I assume that you have done this?
2008-05-07 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1386592

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

pshorty - 2008-05-07 7:47 AM Go Nathan!!! If you guys have been looking at Nathan's logs you will see that he has been running very fast lately. He should do very well!! I am going to try and do a bike LT test this evening. Wish me luck. Bill, I assume that you have done this?

Did it last night actually (on the trainer).  6 sets of 5' at a 9 RPE then 3' at a 5-6 RPE.  I started dry heaving after the last one.

HAVE FUN!!

They do help though.  Just like run intervals help, but yeah, intervals are such a hard workout to get fired up over.

Edited by sesh 2008-05-07 8:32 AM
2008-05-07 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1386592

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

pshorty - 2008-05-07 7:47 AM Go Nathan!!! If you guys have been looking at Nathan's logs you will see that he has been running very fast lately. He should do very well!! I am going to try and do a bike LT test this evening. Wish me luck. Bill, I assume that you have done this?

And biking quite nicely as well!  Slick 40 miler, Nathan.  And the 11 mile run the next day was impressive.  I'd say the training is starting to dig into you.  Nicely done. 

2008-05-07 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1386692

User image

Regular
sesh - 2008-05-07 9:31 AM

Did it last night actually (on the trainer).  6 sets of 5' at a 9 RPE then 3' at a 5-6 RPE.  I started dry heaving after the last one.

HAVE FUN!!

They do help though.  Just like run intervals help, but yeah, intervals are such a hard workout to get fired up over.

I'm talking about figuring out my heartrate zones for the bike. 30min wu, 30min all out effort-take the avg. HR for the last 20min sort of deal.
2008-05-07 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1386740

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
pshorty - 2008-05-07 8:47 AM
sesh - 2008-05-07 9:31 AM

HAVE FUN!!

I'm talking about figuring out my heartrate zones for the bike. 30min wu, 30min all out effort-take the avg. HR for the last 20min sort of deal.

Ahhh.... I don't do heart rate.  Just how bad it hurts.  I guess this would be like the time trials I do.  They are... um... interesting.  The last one I did was a 7 mile time trial, which turned into 18 minutes of pure hell.  I'm talking blurry vision, snot flying, lungs exploding hell.

I'm noticing higher speeds hurt less now, so I guess they're working. 

2008-05-08 3:11 PM

User image

DC
Yep, thinking about the marathon For anyone who didn't catch my thread in TT, I was debating between a large race (Marine Corps Marathon) in September and a smaller inaugural race in November. General consensus on BT was to go for the larger race, unfortunately it filled up by the time I checked it the next morning. Found another option- Philadelphia Marathon- will have the large atmosphere of MCM but is later in the year, so I'd have another month to train. Kind of nervous (big thing for me) but kind of excited too.

I got the best flat tire of my life yesterday. I went out for a ride with my boyfriend because it was 75 degrees and sunny- just beautiful, and he had the day off work for a change. We were having a really nice ride until I heard a huge pop (sounded like a gunshot). My whole tire blew out, 4 inch gash in the tube and tire. I had actually given Nick my extra tube, and don't usually carry around extra tires (Do you guys?) so we called his sister and she came and picked us up. While we were waiting on the side of the road, I got a call from the organization where I had interviewed that morning. I was in the middle of sending them references (sent two, was still trying to track down my old supervisor to make sure it was OK to give out her information), but my interviewer told me that she had been so impressed by my professor's recommendation that she decided to offer me the job without talking to the other two references. Pretty exciting since she was rather adamant that I give her all three earlier in the day. Sooo I have an internship in DC for the summer, and since I'm not going to school in the fall I can stay there up to 6 months. Very excited!!
2008-05-08 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland

Congrats Grace! what will you be doing for your internship? that is a great flat tire :-) I just bought an extra tube, but haven't bought the bike bag thing yet, so it's just sitting by my front door.

So after a frustrating spring of having to cancel every tri I had planned to do due to work/travel and moving I think I might have to bag the June one too. They moved it to Disneyland and now the swim is in the lagoon- is it just me or does that sound gross?? So I think I am going to go ahead with my marathon plans this year too. The Portland marathon is 10/5, so that's the one I am planning to do. I have always used runnersworld training plans, do you guys use those? I have my 1/2 at the end of the month so it seems like it'd be pretty easy to go into the full marathon plan after that. Advice??

ok, back to GRE math... 

2008-05-09 6:54 AM
in reply to: #1390864

User image

DC
kerryleigh5 - 2008-05-08 5:04 PM

Congrats Grace! what will you be doing for your internship? that is a great flat tire :-) I just bought an extra tube, but haven't bought the bike bag thing yet, so it's just sitting by my front door.

So after a frustrating spring of having to cancel every tri I had planned to do due to work/travel and moving I think I might have to bag the June one too. They moved it to Disneyland and now the swim is in the lagoon- is it just me or does that sound gross?? So I think I am going to go ahead with my marathon plans this year too. The Portland marathon is 10/5, so that's the one I am planning to do. I have always used runnersworld training plans, do you guys use those? I have my 1/2 at the end of the month so it seems like it'd be pretty easy to go into the full marathon plan after that. Advice??

ok, back to GRE math... 

Thanks! I'll be doing some researching, writing, phone calls...typical intern stuff at first but hopefully if I'm there longer they'll give me some bigger projects.

I'm really sorry about all your races. The word "lagoon" automatically has a bad connotation for me, but maybe it won't be that bad. Is it the first time they've had it there? Or would you be able to find out how gross it is before?
I'm glad you'll be marathon training though, we can help eachother
2008-05-09 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1390667

User image

Regular
gracetheterp - 2008-05-08 4:11 PM

Yep, thinking about the marathon For anyone who didn't catch my thread in TT, I was debating between a large race (Marine Corps Marathon) in September and a smaller inaugural race in November. General consensus on BT was to go for the larger race, unfortunately it filled up by the time I checked it the next morning. Found another option- Philadelphia Marathon- will have the large atmosphere of MCM but is later in the year, so I'd have another month to train. Kind of nervous (big thing for me) but kind of excited too.

I got the best flat tire of my life yesterday. I went out for a ride with my boyfriend because it was 75 degrees and sunny- just beautiful, and he had the day off work for a change. We were having a really nice ride until I heard a huge pop (sounded like a gunshot). My whole tire blew out, 4 inch gash in the tube and tire. I had actually given Nick my extra tube, and don't usually carry around extra tires (Do you guys?) so we called his sister and she came and picked us up. While we were waiting on the side of the road, I got a call from the organization where I had interviewed that morning. I was in the middle of sending them references (sent two, was still trying to track down my old supervisor to make sure it was OK to give out her information), but my interviewer told me that she had been so impressed by my professor's recommendation that she decided to offer me the job without talking to the other two references. Pretty exciting since she was rather adamant that I give her all three earlier in the day. Sooo I have an internship in DC for the summer, and since I'm not going to school in the fall I can stay there up to 6 months. Very excited!!

Congrats on your flat and getting a good job!! I think that Chris has done the Philadelphia marathon. Chris???
2008-05-09 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1390864

User image

Regular
kerryleigh5 - 2008-05-08 5:04 PM

ok, back to GRE math... 

Hopefully this will be more like the lagoon in "'Blue Lagoon" than the wastewater lagoons with which I am more familiar

2008-05-09 7:46 AM

User image

Regular
Two things:

1. Last weekend my younger brother took me up in a tiny airplane (it's his hobby). We were able to fly over the Cincinnati marathon and all the runners so that was pretty cool. He let me drive (fly?) for a bit which was absolutely terrifying for me--he seemed pretty cool with it. I even did a 180 degree turn.

2. I think that I have my motorcycle sold which means that I will be purchasing a new tri bike in the very near future. I am taking recommendations. If you recommend something like a P3C or B2 or DA, I am also taking donations.
2008-05-09 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

1.  Congrats Grace!  Excellent flat tire

2.  The Lagoon at Disneyland?  Man made right?  Next to all the rides and stuff?  I have a feeling that may actually be the cleanest swim you'll ever do.

3.  Paul, I have never ridden a Felt, but they are my dream bikes.  Try out a Felt, Qroo, and Cervelo.  All of which are pretty similar in terms of pricing and what you get for your money, then go with the best fit.

2008-05-09 9:18 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Hold on now... a DA? 

2008-05-09 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1392108

User image

Regular
sesh - 2008-05-09 10:18 AM

Hold on now... a DA? 

Ha! No. No DA for me. Unless you want to pitch in about $8000. I have a paypal account if that makes things easier

The dealers around here all specialize in Cervelo, Felt, and QRoo. Also Trek and Giant, of course, but they aren't really on my list.
2008-05-09 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1392187

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
pshorty - 2008-05-09 9:39 AM
sesh - 2008-05-09 10:18 AM

Hold on now... a DA? 

Ha! No. No DA for me. Unless you want to pitch in about $8000. I have a paypal account if that makes things easier The dealers around here all specialize in Cervelo, Felt, and QRoo. Also Trek and Giant, of course, but they aren't really on my list.

There's a 15 year old here in Jackson that is on that Hincapie Development team.  If I could have his Trek, I'd ride it.  Ofcourse, he paid nothing for it, and I'd probably have to throw out around 15 grand.  It's a pretty sweet ride.

I think the S22 and B12 are what I plan to look at when I finally go the tri bike route.  The only difference is the B12 has a carbon frame.  I'm wondering if the extra $700 for full carbon would be worth it, though, because I'm pretty sure Felt makes one hell of a nice frame, no matter what the material.

Edited by sesh 2008-05-09 10:21 AM

2008-05-09 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1392331

User image

Regular
S22 has carbon seat stays and the new Felt training AND racing wheelset!!

MOTORBIKE IS SOLD!!! My mother will be very happy. I am now officially in the market for a new tri bike. Very exciting.

Incidentally, and since we are talking about marathons, and since it's Friday and people are probably bored at work, you can go to marathonfoto.com to see photos from the Boston marathon. Last name=ebner, bib no=5963.

Yes, I was wearing a lime green singlet (blouse?!?!).

Lance Armstrong was bib no. 100 if you want to see what it looks like to run a marathon in basketball shorts and what appear to be aqua socks.

-Paul
2008-05-09 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Just back from my bike ride, I just purchased the areo bottle and it is worth it`s weight in gold. It made drinking 200% easier and I was able to drink alot more then I have before which was nice. Thanks for the idea about the bottle guys. I still need to tweek were I want the speedo, It wont fit on the neck of the bike (neck is too thick). I`II figure something out tomorrow.
Congrats Grace on the internship.
Would like to help you out with the new bike Paul, but the wife said no
Kerry, were is your half at the end of the month?
Any plans for the weekend anyone?
Tomorrow I trying to find someone to go with me on a nice 30 km ride and then I need to do a 8 km run. On sunday I have a 20km run to do, so other then training - yard/garden work.
2008-05-11 4:47 PM
in reply to: #1393110

User image

Regular
natebs - 2008-05-09 4:32 PM

Would like to help you out with the new bike Paul, but the wife said no

Ha Ha! I can only imagine how that conversation would go!!
2008-05-11 4:54 PM

User image

Regular
I know that I gave you guys this website before, but I am giving it to you again because it has changed. It is the workouts from the masters team in Berkeley (hippies). There is a new guy giving the workouts. He gives five workouts a week focusing on either distance, drill, stroke (i.e., working on non-free or free if that is your stroke), sprint, IM. The distance workouts should be great for what we are doing.

Here is the link. The new workouts are under Chris Layton.

http://forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96&order=desc

2008-05-11 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1393110

User image

Veteran
Portland

Kerry, were is your half at the end of the month?

It's up outside of San Francisco- my parents and tons of friends live there so it's a good opportunity to mix a race with visiting. And have a built in cheerleading team? :-

2008-05-13 7:35 AM

User image

DC
I'm volunteering for Columbia Triathlon this weekend. Pretty excited- I am a body marker, maybe Macca will pick me and I'll get to sharpie his body
2008-05-13 10:45 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
Hi all!
Chicago was a bust. My cousin's masters team (never caught the name) was doing a mile for time the day we were going to go. I really wanted a more structured workout and maybe some stroke advice. I haven't had anyone critique my stroke since high school (1993 to be exact). And to top things off I never found a Great Lakes or Bell's beer. I swear I asked at every bar and every store. Booo. But the wedding (of my Ironwoman cousin) was fantastic and seeing the family was worth the trip.

Moving on...
Grace, nice flat! Awesome on the internship, can you tell us who it is for? Oh, and did you see the vegetarian article in BT?
Kerry, I know the rivers/lagoons in so cal and I would be totally freaked out. But since it is man made and Disney it *might* be clean. Yikes! I would check it out ahead of time.
Paul, way to go for downgrading to a bike that you have to power. People around here would not understand that one. They all use gas like it is under $1 per gallon.

I think I am still active with walking the dogs and walking around Chicago but I am back in my drinking mode instead of training. I am considering doing a winter training plan over the summer before I start to train again in the fall. (That sounds so weird!)
2008-05-14 5:45 AM
in reply to: #1401131

User image

Regular
wyndswept - 2008-05-13 11:45 PM

I haven't had anyone critique my stroke since high school (1993 to be exact). And to top things off I never found a Great Lakes or Bell's beer.

Bell's isn't sold right now in Chicago because they have had trouble with teamsters so they don't have a distributor. They are going to start selling it under a different name, actually a whole separate company. Same beer, different name and legal company.
2008-05-14 7:20 PM
in reply to: #1401131

User image

Veteran
Portland

Kerry, I know the rivers/lagoons in so cal and I would be totally freaked out. But since it is man made and Disney it *might* be clean. Yikes! I would check it out ahead of time. 

So I think it's totally gross, and then I went to the registration page and they shortened the run to 2 miles and that sealed the deal on me not doing this one (and shortened the bike to 9 miles i think. Lame. not paying $100 for that, especially since the Disneyland factor is a drawback rather than an incentive.... seems like people are really into it being at Disney so I guess it's just me who thinks that's pretty stupid, especially since you can't even bring people to watch unless they want to pay the entrance fee. Anyway,that's my rant for today.

I had a longgg run today and immediately followed it up with a chocolate ice cream cone- am not sure that it qualifies as a great recovery food but I'd run 10 miles anyday if the run ended at the ice cream shop- so I highly recommend it!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33