BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nates' group full and ready to go Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-01-31 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3329062

houston
Subject: RE: Nates' group full and ready to go
Hey, thanks Rommel, I am going to get the garmin 305, at least I'm leaning towards that model.

2011-01-31 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3274388

houston

I was doing some yoga the other night and I think I pulled my groin while doing a bridge pose. I had trouble sleeping due to the discomfort and have been web md'ing it, hoping that it does not derail my training. RICE and pray. I am disappointed (understatement).

2011-01-31 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
g`day guys, welcome Kevin - do you have any tris booked yet?

I train with a HR monitor all the time for the run/bike. I find me percieved exertion is much lower then what my heart rate really is so if I dont use I never push to the level of trainnig Im suppose to be at for that workout. Im not the best swimmer so in the water I just swim drills and long swims. I never check it while swimming.
The 305 does what I need it for but I would like to buy the new timex one so I can swim with it during races and not having to worry about putting it on at transitions...$400 price is why I dont have it yet. I dont use the 305 to it potential, my buddy has it set up to beep at everything he does..run too fast/too slow/hr too high/too low/when to take a drink and so on. When we go for a long bike ride I kindly ask him to turn most of the beeps off

Hey Kevin, living here in Barrie Im stuck riding indoors as well.  I am really pushing myself this year on the bike while indoors..I can easily say that my workouts this winter are harder then almost any Ive done outside, especially when going under 1.5 hrs....the spinnerval videos are fantastic. The only way to really compare would be by going on your HR but you would need to know what yours was last year. Biking in your big chain ring and 11 to 15 on the back will give you those hill rides. Having the computrainer is about the closest trainer you can get to riding out doors.

Mike, hows the groin today....A535 I find works
2011-01-31 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Tip #3  Bricks

INTRODUCTION TO BRICKS

Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.

by Enrico Contolini

Bricks are a very important part of triathlon (and duathlon) training and they are sometimes overlooked. Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout, one after the other with minimal or no interruption in between, just as you would do in a race (I am sure you knew this). Usually when people talk about bricks they refer to a bike/run workout, but bricks could also refer to a swim/bike workout or to a run/bike workout (if you are training for a duathlon). These last two are often overlooked but still important to fit here and there in your training plan.

About a swim/bike brick: while you are swimming you will want to use your legs as little as possible or else you may have a hard time when you get on your bike before you start feeling comfortable. A swim/bike workout that simulates race conditions will help you minimize this problem. A couple of suggestions are to try and use your legs more (that is to kick more) during he last 50-100 yards of your swim to get more blood flowing to them. Also, start your bike portion using an easier gear than the one you plan on using during the main part of the race. This will give your legs a chance to get used to the new sport and accumulate less lactic acid than they would if you started from the beginning with a tough gear.

As an example, a useful swim/bike brick can be:

3 x (500 yards swim + 5 mile bike). I believe this is more useful and time efficient than doing a 1500 yards swim followed by a 15 miles bike, because you will switch sports 6 times instead of only once .

Even more important are bike/run bricks, mainly because the transition between bike and run is the toughest of the two during a triathlon. Most people's recount of their brick workouts consist of a medium/long bike ride followed by a medium run. Although I do perform these kind of bricks, my recommendations are a sequence of short/medium rides alternated with a series of short run.

Here are a couple of bike/run examples:

Sprint triathlon workout: (5-6 miles bike + 1mile run) - repeat three or four times.

Olympic triathlon workout: (7-8 miles bike + 1.5-2 mile run) - repeat three or four times.

When I do these kind of bricks, I try to run on a track so I am sure I am running the exact distance, I force myself to run fast and time myself and I don't have to worry about traffic or sharp turns. I push on the bike, but the run needs to be the hard part of the workout. I am trying to get my body used to running fast as soon as I get off the bike.

By doing a series of short repeats you also switch sport (and therefore muscles used) several times in the same workout. You are practically teaching your legs and body to switch as fast as possible and as efficiently as possible between two very different kinds of effort. Again, I consider a series of short repeats more efficient then doing the two sports one after the other, especially when you are short on time.

If you have never done a brick before, you should get used to them before attempting the kind of workouts described above. Start with a 1 mile run or run/walk after every bike ride. You can start by walking briskly when you get off the bike and them move to a jog or run within ¼ to ½ mile. You can also attempt your first brick by biking in the morning and then running in the afternoon or after a 1 to 2 hour break.

When you stop biking and start running the legs feel "strange" and heavy (this is why they call these workouts bricks!) and the heart rate goes up, as our body tries to switch the blood from flowing into the muscles used for biking to those used for running. This feeling is more pronounced at the start of the run and usually the legs get better as time passes - although probably never as fresh as those you have when you run without biking before it (I wonder why?! ). Brick workouts help shorten the time our legs take to start feeling more normal thus allowing us to run better and faster. It is not uncommon to experience cramps when starting to run after biking, especially if you are not used to it. As usual, listen to your body and slow down if you feel a cramp coming. A carbo gel and water will also help if you are experiencing cramps due to the decrease in muscle fuel.

Happy transitions, 

I liked this artical, I do both kinds of bricks as well. On the Saturday 2 weeks out from now I have a 2:20 bike followed by a 40 minute run. If you go back in my logs until last Tuesday you will see my "better brick" workout that I will do once/twice a month.
In my opinion its very important to incorperate these into your workouts now. I have never had that "heavy" feelings in my legs during a race as I have always done bricks in my training.

let me know if you have any questions

2011-01-31 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3329925

Ken,

Thanks for the 50K training info. I would like to do one in November, but I have an "A" race sprint tri in September that I am pretty sure would suffer from all the run focus. I have until later in the year to decided which one is more important.

Stacy
2011-02-01 8:48 AM

User image

Back at it today.

I have in my plan 1 brick a week.  Usually on Wednesday when I do a bike to run.  The length of each increases using the 10% rule (increase the length 10% each week) with the 4th week being recovery.  So for so good with that.

I haven't been able to get the swimming in yet, but it is one of my stronger activities in the past (running is my weak link).  I think I should be able to get some lane swims in starting this month, and then start to work some bricks of swim to bike once the weather warms up. 

2011-02-01 8:48 AM

User image

Back at it today.

I have in my plan 1 brick a week.  Usually on Wednesday when I do a bike to run.  The length of each increases using the 10% rule (increase the time 10% each week) with the 4th week being recovery.  So far so good with that.

I haven't been able to get the swimming in yet, but it is one of my stronger activities in the past (running is my weak link).  I think I should be able to get some lane swims in starting this month, and then start to work some bricks of swim to bike once the weather warms up.

Edited by willo12345 2011-02-01 8:48 AM
2011-02-01 4:43 PM

User image

Veteran
I dont think I have every really done a swim to bike brick as I would need to have someone watch my bike while swimming.
Missed my bike workout on Saturday   If I miss a workout I never try to "fit" it in during the rest of the week as it will interfere with the schedule and really mess things up with the recovery aspect of the schedule.
2011-02-02 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3330447

Peterborough
firemandivi - 2011-01-31 9:47 AM Welcome Van and Kevin
Hello Nate. Iam not on a trainer but on a spinning bike at gym. Iam spinning at an average of 10.5. I never go under 10. For the long rides I listen to ipod and generally am out of my seat ffor half my ride. I turn up the tension 3 turns when i standup. I sweat perfusely.I find it hard thougfh to get my heart rate up or breath heavily. Thanks kevin

Kevin,
  I see that you are riding for a decent amount of time on your trainer.  Whats you kind of rpms are you doing?  Are you doing any intervals while on the trainer or watching riding videos?
2011-02-02 6:42 PM

Peterborough
Hi Nate.missed  I missed a little time on the bike this week because of time . missed 59 minutes so i thought i would bike it tomorrow then run on my schedule. Is this a good idea? Thanks
2011-02-03 2:12 AM

houston
Hey Nate, all is well here the in?????j??ury is getting better?;? I did 30 min on spin bike today and stretched out in the pool, it's getting there. Thanks everyone for the information on the heart monitors. It seems like a smart thing to do if I am really going to track progress and become a better runner. Garmin 305 in the sights. 

2011-02-05 10:35 PM

New user

Pueblo
Hey Nate

Slow go on the thigh bruise from wrestling.  I have been getting massage, alternating ice and heat and stretching, but it has been slow go.  I tried some light running and it really tightened up and it feels like a golf ball is stuck in the thigh.  Any other suggestions?
2011-02-06 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3315355

New user

Subject: Simon Gowen Radio Show
"I haven`t seen anyone post back after listening to Simon yet...feedback on what you guys think will help us all and get us talking."

Hey Nate... I don't know if I am the only one yet who has responded to you about the feedback on SimonGowen, but I finally listened to his talkshow from Dec30,2010 and, like you I rewinded it a couple of times.

I realised that setting goals is quite a big part of mapping out what I want to do for my season this year. From what i gathered about Simon - he really made his caller think about what his feelings were for his goals this year and how it would make him feel at the end of the race. And it was the little stuff - as in why do you want to do this?  and the guys says something along the lines of... "In order to run faster, I need to train faster" and he made the emotional wellbeing of the client important. It's like watching The Biggest Loser Families Australia tonight where the emotional trigger release comes out such as ... I don't want my kids to lose a mother due to obesity or I don't want my family to see another heart attack" It's those little emotional things that really make a big impact, and it's not often that we see other professional athletes admit it unless they make an emotional return from injury/ setback etc. Also, Simon made the caller think about having a journal - I found it ironic because I teach that to my students - writing in a journal! and I know have a purpose for one **yahoo!**, So, I really gained a lot from listening to that podcast.

Personally, I logged onto and downloaded Coach Joe Beer's Smart Training (JBST.com) podcast because I had seen his advice column through 220Triathon Magazine (UK and Aus editions) and I found him to pretty inspiring. I listen to it every day in my car going to and from school (I'm a High School teacher by day) I try to maximize my time to digest these podscasts as much as I can. (I love his acronym for TEST IT - Test Everything Several Times In Training)

I've also written my goals down for this year, including getting to sign up with a local triathlon club in my area, so that I can get a better feel for racing and feel good that I have people I can ask questions on, especially the experienced racers. With regards to the goals setting, I think I will be tweaking that so it is more concrete in it's actual direction. The power of support from my family, especially my wife, has radiated to my other friends who have in the past, have shirked training or getting off the couch, and also inspired them to get involved in some sort of fitness regime. It's amazing because I've also inspired them to give these multi-sports a go and in the future, I know they will try it. For the time being, they will start with 'baby steps' by cycling an event or swimming a 1km swim. My friends' kids even get involved - the Weetbix Tryathlon in Sydney just 2 weeks ago, was a turning point for many. So ... I just want to say, the reverberations of wanting to make a difference in my personal and family life is filtrating through to my friends and it's really a godsend. 

And with you as our mentor, I reckon we can gain so much more from racing, the tried and tested that you would have experienced already. I look forward to more conversations and links. To my fellow triathletes, as Rob Schneider says it, "You can do it!"

Thanks Nate

2011-02-06 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Gday all, hope everyones weekend is going great. I had my longest bike ride of the year, it went 20 minutes longer then the planned called for as the guy I was riding with his plan is slightly different then mine (hes doing an ironman). It is so much nicer riding those long rides with a friend.

@ Kevin..sry I didnt get on the other day to see your post, In regards to biking a different day because of a missed workout...imo...it would depend on your workout plan - if you have a hard workout planned for the following day then I would just skip it (a few missed workouts wont hurt the training). If you have an off day planned or a light workout such as a swim the next day only then doing the missed workout would be fine.

@ Jeff..Have you tried a leg roller, you can buy them from any running store. I cant live well without mine. It helps to get rid of all the knots in my IT bands and quads, saves me from going to the message guy, worth every bit of the $35

@ Rommel...great feedback, I`II have to check out Joe Beer. I like the TEST IT acronym, it so true never....ever...do something on race day that you havent trained before.
I have also written my 2011 goal down and told several people what it is, I have also written it on my mirrror in my room so every morning when I wake up or going to bed..there it is. I also wrote them down on the cover of my workout plan so again every day I see what I am aiming for.

Have a great day everyone
2011-02-06 4:14 PM

Peterborough
Hi Nate. My goal this year is to do my first tri which is a sprint and then probably 4  Olympics this summer. I have been doing the 20 week olympic training program . Im now at 3rd week of 3rd month. The program is really stepping it up- 1hour in pool- i do laps, 2 hours on bike-spinning standing up when I can and 1 hour runs. Anyway, I think i need to mix it up a bit on my workouts. I bought a heart rate monitor.  I would like to start some interval training . I think if i spend that much time running or biking  the heart rate monitor would be helpful getting the best  possible workout I could do with my time .It would be a good way to increase my fitness and be faster. I did a gradual maximum heart rate test today and got to 174 before I would of collapsed. Then I ran at a tempo of 85-90% of max for another 30 minutes.    What do you think Nate?                      I would be interested hearing from other people with experience in this. Thank you, Kevin.                                                                         
2011-02-07 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3341148

houston
I read your post regarding muscle knotting issue , you might want to try one of those foam rollers for getting the knots out. I have been using one for a week or two and I feel better. I stretch and do yoga but muscle knots can only be reduced by massage (myofascial self massage in this case). Good luck.

2011-02-07 12:40 PM

Peterborough
Hi Nate. Thanks for the info. I cant seem to retrieve the info you sent me on the run intervals. If you have time can you send it again . Thanks, Kevin
2011-02-08 7:03 AM

Bloomington
Hi Nate and everyone else- sorry I have not been in contact for a while - little crazy here . Snow storm, ice storm, power outages, schools closed, sick kids-AAAAH!!! Will it ever be spring?
Anyhoo, Hopefully I can get back into gear in time. My logs are a little out of sorts - forgot to do some entries but will try to recreate them as time and memory permits. Started swimming again - good to be back in the pool (I think LOL).
After I put kids on bus I will read through all of your entries to catch up.
thanks
Claire 
2011-02-08 11:59 AM

User image

Hudson Valley, NY
Seems like people are getting sick and sore lately, hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Question for those with Tri experience:

I have bad knees and have to set my bike saddle as high as possible so my legs are fully extended on the down stroke.  I have recently put some aero bars on my road bike but when I use them I find that the a certain body part hurts.  Should I adjust my saddle to be only comfortable in the aero position or just leave it where it is and grin and bear it?

Second question may seem kinda stupid but I'll ask anyway:
    What do you wear during a race while biking?  I have a few padded bike shorts but I can't see wearing them while swimming or changing into them after the swim, do you just ride in your swim trunks or do you throw a pair of bike shorts on your swim suit and then go biking? 

Thanks
2011-02-08 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Remember no question is a stupid one...Ive asked all kinds I thought were stuipd but how else do you get the answer 

Welcome back Claire, glad to see you`ve hit the water....the only way to get better at swimming is to get wet.

@ Jeremy...for the bike I would highly recomend a professional bike fit at your local bike shop, for about $60 to $80 should be the range they charge. There are so many things that go into a bike fit, I do one every time I change something on the bike or even my injurys, My bike fit guy takes course on bike fits so ask. Getting saddle sore is something I think comes with time in the saddle, you should be over this with time though and if not maybe a new seat is required.

During races I usually wear a one peice tri suit, it has a smaller shammy for your butt compared to a biking shorts (biking shorts shammy would be too waterlogged after the swim). Last year I bought a compression tri short from zoot (to help my IT bands) and I have used it for my last race and almost all my runs and bike rides since Sept., and I will be looking into buying a one peice compression tri suit for this season.

@ Kevin...10 minute warm up bringing your HR up to 70 -75 %, then 2 X 10 minutes @ 75 to 80% with a 3 minute cool down inbetween then a 3rd 10 minutes @ 80 to 85% (hard effort) then cool down for 11 minutes.
Also fartleks are great to throw in as well during the week...whatever your run time is for the day 10 min wu then sprint 50m to 100m then back down to your easy pace, do these sprints at the start of every 5th minute then a 10 to 15 minute cd.
Adding these in to your runs and you will see your times drop over the next few months

Cheers
2011-02-08 8:46 PM

Peterborough
Thanks for the run intervals Nate. I started running with a running group from runners life in Peterborough. Tonight we did run inervals . We ran up a good hill then ran down again for 40 minutes. It was a 10 km run all together. the guy who runs it has lots of tri and marathon experience,. It seems to work well with my program with running Tues. and Thursday.                                                                                                                                                   
Hi Jeremy. I would agree with nate, it is very important to get your bike fitted properly for you. Once you get it fitted prpoerly, it will make a huge differnce on the bike. Thanks, Kevin

2011-02-09 5:49 AM

Peterborough

Hello again Nate. I have yet another question. If I start doing intervals that are heart monitored while running, biking and swimming, do I need to do the minutes the program is calling for or do I cut back a little bit?  Thanks Kevin

2011-02-09 1:57 PM

User image

Hudson Valley, NY
Thanks Nate and Kevin for the advice to get my bike fitted.  It usually takes me a few rides where I am adjusted the seat and seat post height throughout my ride to get it perfect.  I had my road bike set perfect but once I added the aero-bars I just can't seem to find the magic spot again.
2011-02-09 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
I would keep to the times in the program, you can make it a longer warm up and cool down to reach the time needed.
2011-02-09 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3345148

houston
Hey Fireman, you might want to try a profile design fast forward seat post with the aerobar, that's the combo I'm going with and I hope it works on my road bike. I'll let you know how I do with it when it comes in, I just ordered it yesterday.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nates' group full and ready to go Rss Feed  

of 6