BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nates' group full and ready to go Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-04-01 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3274388

Subject: RE: Nates' group full and ready to go

Nate,

I try to keep Sunday as a church/family day. What if I did a long bike Sat. am and long run Sat. pm?  (My "Long" is not as long as your "long",  2 hours for each at most.)

Thanks,

Stacy

2011-04-02 1:37 AM

User image

Veteran
I never seen a plan or thought about it, doing both in one day...I would say not to. Do your long run during the evening during the week then leave Saturday for your bike. Your body needs the time to recover and 8 hours wouldnt be enough imo. Do me a favor and throw this question in the main area and see what others think, make sure to mention Sundays off, I would be interested in the responses.
2011-04-02 1:46 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey Kevin, that sucks but it sounds like your doing everything you need to do all ready, rest...rest and more rest. I`ve tried the knee strap thing but it didnt work well. I would do what you are doing, run routes that keep you close to home and if it starts to act up stop. If you can only run 25 minutes right now, it shouldnt affect you a whole lot. Just a thought but my IT problems where from riding the bike, try backing off the volume on your bike while keeping the intensity up for a few weeks and see if that helps.

Another thing you can try ..this year I bought compression tri shorts to workout and race in, more expenssive but I will not go back to the traditional tri short. It helps keep your muscles tight together....I bought the ones from ZOOT. I have not had much of an issue with the IT bands since switching to these.

hope this helps

2011-04-03 9:22 AM

Peterborough
Thanks for your help Nate. Good news, I went for a run today, just took it easy with no hills and ran for 25 minutes. I had a little tightness but no pain, yeah! I have been foam rolling ,icing and stretching the IT band. It feels pretty good. Hopefully with no pain, it is a good sign of recovery. I was thinking of increasing my time by 5 -10 minutes next run. What do you think? Thanks again
2011-04-04 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
exactly, no more then 10 minutes at a time untill you get back to where you were. Thats great news...take it easy
2011-04-08 3:44 PM

Peterborough
Hi Everyone. I have been getting treatment for a couple of weeks on my knee but I got my feet looked at and I have a overpronation, quite severe too. I went for a run and only 10 minutes in, my knee bothered me. Has anyone had experience with overpronation? I got a over the counter orthopedic and hopefully it will help. Thanks Kevin

2011-04-08 8:26 PM

New user

Subject: Mental Toughness

Hey Nate and fellow triathletes.

I've been researching about mental toughness and how it can be used for races. I know so far that in training, it should be used as part of goal setting. I know as well there are some positive mantras that can be said over and over again while the race is on. With my first race last year n the Enticer, I know I struggled mentally, not to mention physically. Also when I got out of the water to T1, my brain was spinning. Is that normal? Or is that a combination of adrenalin, blood being shunted from the arms  and the body, to the legs, or breathlessness or all three combined?

I did a full enticer brick run last Saturday and it was a good feeling to see how I could do it mentally for the official race on April 25 Easter Monday/ Anzac Day. I did a 20km ride as a warm-up, then swam 300m (12mins), 10km ride (28mins) and 2.8km run (18mins). So a few more tweaks in the next couple of weeks for me before race day.

So, (1) I wanted to know from our group, what goes on in your minds when you are swimming, cycling and running? What mantras or sayings do you use while in the race? (I know we should be siting a target point and the final buoy). I think this is important as I don't see it enough. I always think of the 90/ 10 rule - 90% mental inspiration and 10% perspiration! I'd love to hear what our fellow triathletes think about. 

By the way, the Dextro Energy Triathlon hits our Sydney shores tomorrow in case anyone watches it via tv or subscribing- http://sydney.triathlon.org/.

Edited by Rommel 2011-04-08 8:55 PM
2011-04-19 4:12 PM

New user

Lincoln, NE

All,

Completed my first tri on Sunday.  It was a sprint (500m, 14miles, 5k).  I finished in 1 hr 31mins 25 secs.  While there is still room for improvement, I am really happy with my time.   It was great beginner event and everyone on the coarse was really friendly and encouraging.

I went with this nutrician plan: http://www.trifuel.com/training/race-day-prep/short-course-race-day-nutrition and it worked out really good. 

I feel great and am ready to tackle training again and take a couple of minutes off of my time for my next event.  Thanks everyone for the advice and support.

Tad

2011-04-22 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3437038

Subject: RE: Mental Toughness

I have found out through triathlon that I am mentally tougher than I thought I was and I use it as a metaphor for parenting challenges as they come up. (You cannot "just stop" parenting in a tough spot, so I don't "just stop" at a tough training or racing spot.  On the bike in a race I think " focus" because my mind tends to wander on the bike and then I slow down. On the run I think "tough" because it is usually hot but I can sometimes catch people who don't run well off the bike. I don't really have many strengths in triathlon, but for some reason I run better off the bike than on fresh legs.

Stacy

2011-04-22 10:24 PM

New user

Warren

Finished the Boston Marathon Monday 3:08.24.  Now attempting to redirect my focus to triathlon's.  My first sprint tri is on 5/18, then a OLY June 26, then a 1/2 Ironman 9/11...then the NY Marathon.  Nate some words of wisdom here would be great...lol.  

Ken..tired but happy post Marathon.

2011-04-24 6:37 AM
in reply to: #3461099

New user

Subject: RE: Mental Toughness
Hey there Tracy... thanks for the insight. I think I might use the "I think I can, I think I can" approach and also use "chunking" such as ... to the next buoy. I managed to change my breathing to bilateral breathing 3 weeks ago and it made a big difference in my swimming ability. I now think I will be a bit more improved for my Enticer which starts tomorrow from 8-8.30am AEST at Penrith Regatta Centre. It's  250m swim, 10km ride and 2.5 km run, pretty much the same as the first one I did last Nov 2010. My aim is to beat my previous PB 1.03hr and also, secretly race my friend who did it in 1hr flat. So here's to my next race Keep going! On, on!

2011-04-25 11:03 AM

New user

I finally completed my second Enticer with the Hills Tri Club [-250m swim, 10km ride, 2.5km run] and I beat my old PB. My new PB is now 54.06.6! It's definitely an improvement from last year [1.03hr] I think the transition made a difference and the bike leg and run leg was completed at a faster rate, that I did catch up to my friend and finally beat him at the post! The swim leg was slower than last time but that's an area that is my weakest, so it will have to face some major improvements in the coming winter months. The conditions weren't all that great with the water temp at a cool 18.4C and the outside air not much warmer by 1C. There was some steady rain, but that didn't stop me because I was focussed on just getting on with the race. I think something to build on for me will be my strength and swim work and even my bike work. I felt I was going flat out, in fact, I looked over the total time, I gained more on the bike and run than I had done in the previous Enticer.

Hey Nate... any tips on improving the swim leg? I hyperventilated quite a bit, even though I got a feel for the water by pouring water over me to get over the cold factor shock. I switched very quickly from a freestyle to a backstroke and then to a sidestroke (lifesaver method) and never gave up or rested, until I had to, when I got close up to the last buoy. And getting out today was a lot better than previous experience, less dizziness because I kicked a lot more to get the blood back into my legs. It was such a good experience overall. I think I now have my sights set on competing in duathlons in this coming winter season.

2011-05-10 8:10 PM

Congrats, Rommel on a great tri. Success motivates and I know you are fired up now!

Nate, my base three workouts have really left me tired. I ended up not doing my long run OR long ride last weekend because my legs were so beat up.  I am thinking of making my 7 day "recovery week" before Build 1 into a 10 day recovery to make sure that I am able to really do the workouts in build one.  Does that make sense?  Also, I am really busy with work now and I am off in two weeks for the summer, so I will have more energy to train hard!

Stacy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nates' group full and ready to go Rss Feed  

of 6