Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-01-02 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2589697

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: zia_cyclst's Group - Open
benjaminjacobso - 2010-01-03 7:40 AM I need to add a week into my schedule.  The exact date for my February event is 1 week later than I thought.  I need to insert a week - is there any easy way to do that?

I haven't played with an actual plan yet, but per this article it is possible to move things around:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=480 

2010-01-02 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2588848

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: zia_cyclst's Group - Closed
dcon - 2010-01-02 6:41 AM zia_cyclist - 2010-01-02 12:32 AM  

On your running, I'm a firm believer that running more often (not necessarily longer) is the way to build run fitness.

** With 5 runs per week, I've been trying to decide whether to distribute increases across all runs or to move towards one long run, 2 medium, 2 short.   For example (conservatively adding 10 minutes per week):

distributed:

30  30  30  30  30
    30  35  30  35  30
    35  35  30  35  35 
    35  40  35  35  35
    etc....

mix with long run:

30  30  30  30  30
   30  30  40  30  30
   35  30  40  30  35
   35  30  50  30  35
   40  30  50  30  40
   40  30  60  30  40
   etc....

I've started moving down the mix path and my last 5 days was  40  30  50  30  40

Which approach do you think is better for the longer term?    

Thanks,
Dan

I like your mix schedule.  I like the 30 minute runs you have scheduled between your longer runs.  I usually schedule a long run, a medium long run, then the rest of my runs are a mix of track, tempo, skills or endurance.  If you are just coming off an injury and trying to build run fitness, then skip the track and tempo until you have sufficient run fitness.  Focus on skills and endurance.  The other thing to remember is to give yourself a break.  Every couple of weeks or so I schedule a recovery week where I run less volume (same number of days, just shorter). 
2010-01-02 8:54 PM
in reply to: #2588806

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
dcon - 2010-01-02 3:00 AM
zia_cyclist - 2010-01-02 12:32 AM  

Dan, nice, detailed profile.

Japan has an IM, right?

On your running, I'm a firm believer that running more often (not necessarily longer) is the way to build run fitness. 

Weight Training: I prefer "functional strength training" instead of the weight machines or free weights.  Functional training is especially helpful for knee, hip, back problems.  Check this website for some functional strength training exercises: http://www.coreperformance.com/ . A few years ago, I had ITB syndrome and a painful periformis muscle.  Both my chiropractor/ART doc and a sports medicine MD recommended these types of exercises to fix these problems.  It worked.

Happy New Year Tommy!

Yes, Japan does have an IM on the official circuit.  It is in a city called Goto.  I hope to get there (or some other IM distance race in Japan) in a year or two.

Thanks for the link.  I poked around a little, but wasn't sure exactly what you meant.  Are you saying to check in the specific injury articles and look for functional exercises or is there a specific article you can point me at.    I looked at this knee pain/injury and it has a bunch of exercises that don't require machine/weights:

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/injury-pain/knee-pain.html 

Actually, both.  Specific exercises for injuries.  And look for core strength and core power workouts.  They complete workouts listed. Strength: http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/workouts/build-total-body-strength.html
Power: http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/workouts/increase-your-power.html

I attended a seminar taught by Jessi Stensland (pro triathlete and coached by the Athlete's Performance folks).  She taught us about many of the exercises you see on the website.  I feel like I get a more 'specific to my sports' workout by doing the Core Performance exercises as compared to just lifting weights in the gym. 
2010-01-02 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2589697

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: zia_cyclst's Group - Open
benjaminjacobso - 2010-01-02 5:40 PM I need to add a week into my schedule.  The exact date for my February event is 1 week later than I thought.  I need to insert a week - is there any easy way to do that?

You could 're-import' the plan you are using (the 16 week Swim Focused is what you have in your log) and put the end date as the date of your race.

Or you could copy a week from the plan and put it where you need to.  In the planned calendar there is a Copy/Move/Delete link.  This allows you to copy/move/delete a single day or a block of days / weeks / months.
2010-01-02 11:05 PM
in reply to: #2590021

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
zia_cyclist - 2010-01-03 10:40 AM
dcon - 2010-01-02 6:41 AM zia_cyclist - 2010-01-02 12:32 AM  

On your running, I'm a firm believer that running more often (not necessarily longer) is the way to build run fitness.

** With 5 runs per week, I've been trying to decide whether to distribute increases across all runs or to move towards one long run, 2 medium, 2 short.   For example (conservatively adding 10 minutes per week):

distributed:

30  30  30  30  30
    30  35  30  35  30
    35  35  30  35  35 
    35  40  35  35  35
    etc....

mix with long run:

30  30  30  30  30
   30  30  40  30  30
   35  30  40  30  35
   35  30  50  30  35
   40  30  50  30  40
   40  30  60  30  40
   etc....

I've started moving down the mix path and my last 5 days was  40  30  50  30  40

Which approach do you think is better for the longer term?    

Thanks,
Dan

I like your mix schedule.  I like the 30 minute runs you have scheduled between your longer runs.  I usually schedule a long run, a medium long run, then the rest of my runs are a mix of track, tempo, skills or endurance.  If you are just coming off an injury and trying to build run fitness, then skip the track and tempo until you have sufficient run fitness.  Focus on skills and endurance.  The other thing to remember is to give yourself a break.  Every couple of weeks or so I schedule a recovery week where I run less volume (same number of days, just shorter). 

Thanks - I will stick with the mix approach and focus on skills/endurance for now.  I'll also add in a recovery every 3 or 4 weeks as you suggested.   
2010-01-02 11:09 PM
in reply to: #2590042

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
zia_cyclist - 2010-01-03 10:54 AM
dcon - 2010-01-02 3:00 AM
zia_cyclist - 2010-01-02 12:32 AM  

Dan, nice, detailed profile.

Japan has an IM, right?

On your running, I'm a firm believer that running more often (not necessarily longer) is the way to build run fitness. 

Weight Training: I prefer "functional strength training" instead of the weight machines or free weights.  Functional training is especially helpful for knee, hip, back problems.  Check this website for some functional strength training exercises: http://www.coreperformance.com/ . A few years ago, I had ITB syndrome and a painful periformis muscle.  Both my chiropractor/ART doc and a sports medicine MD recommended these types of exercises to fix these problems.  It worked.

Happy New Year Tommy!

Yes, Japan does have an IM on the official circuit.  It is in a city called Goto.  I hope to get there (or some other IM distance race in Japan) in a year or two.

Thanks for the link.  I poked around a little, but wasn't sure exactly what you meant.  Are you saying to check in the specific injury articles and look for functional exercises or is there a specific article you can point me at.    I looked at this knee pain/injury and it has a bunch of exercises that don't require machine/weights:

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/injury-pain/knee-pain.html 

Actually, both.  Specific exercises for injuries.  And look for core strength and core power workouts.  They complete workouts listed. Strength: http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/workouts/build-total-body-strength.html
Power: http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/workouts/increase-your-power.html

I attended a seminar taught by Jessi Stensland (pro triathlete and coached by the Athlete's Performance folks).  She taught us about many of the exercises you see on the website.  I feel like I get a more 'specific to my sports' workout by doing the Core Performance exercises as compared to just lifting weights in the gym. 
Thanks for those two links. I will look into the exercises. I may stick with the machines (very light, high reps) 2X per week for a month or so and slowly build up a third day with some of these exercises.

2010-01-03 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2563554

User image

Champion
Sydney
Happy New Year!

Im back at work today so hopefully going to get everything else back on track too

Hope everyone else had a great holiday season!
2010-01-04 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Hi gang.  Happy New Year.

I hope everyone had a great holiday.  Now it's time to get to work on our 2010 season. 

One of my coaching interests is the mental aspect of triathlon and sports.  I think it's important to start the season spending some time on motivations and goals.  We'll start with motivation.  The definition of motivation is to give reason, incentive, enthusiasm, or interest that causes a specific action or certain behavior.  Motivation is the only thing you have control over in triathlon.  Your performance can be improved by training but is limited by your genetic makeup.  You have no control over your competitor's performance, the weather during a race, the course conditions, etc.  You can only control your ability to start and persist at a task that relates to your goals for triathlon - your Motivations.

There are 2 types of motivations - internal and external.  Internal motivations are related to elements that originate within you such as, doing triathlon for the enjoyment of it.  External motivations are related to elements that are external to you such as, beating your competition, winning trophies, etc.

Why is your motivation important?  Simply put, it can keep you going when you really don't feel like continuing on or you feel like you aren't making progress.  As an example, getting up at 4:30 am for master's swim is a bit easier if you remember your motivations for doing triathlon.

So, what are your motivations for doing triathlon?

I'll start:
Internal
1. Ultimately, I want to be one of those 70-year-old guys on the NBC Kona broadcast.
2. To maintain my health.
3. I like the way I feel when I'm in good physical shape

External
1. I like the social aspects of trianing with my buddies
2. I enjoy coaching others
3. I enjoy the competition in races and setting PRs.
2010-01-04 11:33 PM
in reply to: #2593735

User image

Champion
Sydney
zia_cyclist - 2010-01-05 11:59 AM

So, what are your motivations for doing triathlon?

Wow sometimes Im not so sure on my motivations but let me give it a go...

Internal
1. To prove myself that despite all my health issues I can still do things i enjoy - at times this turns into a negative motivation as I fight my body to do things when I should rest OR when Ive had a long sick spell which can make me believe that I will never be able to do anything again so tend to be inactive/wallow. Obviously I also like that training (although I need to be reminded not to be an all or nothing person and do it in moderation keeping an eye on my overall energy levels and general health) helps with my health - something that becomes more and more important each year

2. I like being able to consider myself a fit and active person - I hated sport in high school but have discovered now that a bit of physical activity really makes me happy (go endorphins). I find when I work out regularly I feel better about myself and see myself in a much better light! (its good for my personal well being and self esteem)

Summary: It makes me a healthier and happier human being. And... it see's me accomplish things that I never would have dreamed I could attempt 10 years ago!

External
1. The surprise and then interest that people have when they find out I ride bikes and am active. (if really inconsistently at the moment!)

2. The absolute pleasure of helping others finish their first triathlon. Sharing that with a group of my work colleagues last year was one of the best things I have ever done!

3. While I have a habit of melting down during races and kind of dreading them... I am always so proud, so happy, and so ready for the next one when I finish!

Finally - wasnt sure where this fits but being out in the sunshine makes me happy! (This is more about training when you can chose what weather to go out in!)

Not sure if Ive missed anything - sometimes my motivation is really just that training makes me feel good... its the racing bit that I tend to dread/fear... mostly because Im slow and tend to get a bit embarrassed!
2010-01-05 7:34 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Kind of quiet in here.  I'll keep my list simple:

Internal
1. Genes - Dad had his first heart attack when he was 53
2. I want to see how far I can push myself (my body).  This is part curiosity, part personality.
3. I like the way I feel when I'm in good physical shape

External
1. Competition - I enjoy seeing how well I can do against others
2. Social - I see it as an opportunity to increase my circle of friends

2010-01-05 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2593735

User image

Internal:

1. I like the energy I have when I am training/working out but need the goal of a race to drive toward.
2. I have a 5 year old son and in with all the childhood obesity and unhealthy lifestyles out there I want to set a good example for him while he is impressionable.  During my first triathlon he came out and ran the last 50 yards with me.  The look on his face when we crossed the finish line together (profile pic) and everyone was cheering made all the training worth it.  He is always running around the house pretending to do triathlons.  It's great! 
3. It helps me deal with the stress of my job.  I love the feeling I get of a lunch time swim on a really bad day.  Everything is quiet and I have to totally focus on what I am doing.  I think I am 10x more productive when I get back to work.

External:
1. I enjoy being a part of the triathlon community.  The lifestyle and energy are contagious.
2. I like the feel of excitement on raceday (internal?)

2010-01-05 8:37 PM

User image

Any recommendations for working out while travelling.  I have to travel to Japan next week for work.  The hotel I stay at does not have good Gym hours so weight training and spinning will be out.  Whether permitting I should be able to get atleast 1 or 2 runs in.  Any other suggestions? 
2010-01-05 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2596574

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
jhoyt1 - 2010-01-05 8:37 PM Any recommendations for working out while travelling.  I have to travel to Japan next week for work.  The hotel I stay at does not have good Gym hours so weight training and spinning will be out.  Whether permitting I should be able to get atleast 1 or 2 runs in.  Any other suggestions? 

Put together a core/abs/strength workout that you can do in your hotel room.  Use body wieght for strength training - pushups, squats, etc.

If you have elastic bands with handles you can do a swim dry land workout.

Make the week a run focused training week - lots of running drills, tempo runs, long runs, mix it up.
2010-01-05 9:01 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Good job on the motivations.  It's best to write these down.  Your list of motivations is a 'living document' and can be modified as your season progresses and you discover new motivations. 
2010-01-05 10:39 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
I've been thinkin' about my motivations... 

Internal...
1.) Mother is morbidly obese, I do not want to be there.  I always told myself that I would not turn into my mother.
2.)  My weight has ALWAYS been a factor for me. I was a chubby child with asthma.  It feels great when I am able to buy clothes that are smaller than those I wore as a teen.
3.)  I spent lots of money on an education, if I'm not able to apply all of it in my career, I should apply the rest of it on myself!!!!!

External....
1.)  Goes without saying I suppose... SOCIAL  (let's face it, once you're done with school and have kids, it ain't easy meeting new people.
2.)  It's fun to see how my level of fitness compares to others my age (even though I know it's relative to many variables)
3.)  I love to race against myself and the challenge that each race brings me.  (did  I mention that I didn't even know how to swim when I first decided to do a tri? )
2010-01-06 6:28 AM
in reply to: #2596771

User image

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY
Internal/External - this distinction is arbitrary for Gemini's
Healthy Weight
Swimming is great: Challenge - social - upper body - 
Something to talk about
Tri eases some of the "strain" of just running
Winter is too cold to just run
Keeps me young
Baby steps towards my dreams of doing an Iron Man

2010-01-06 3:14 PM

User image

New user

Houston, TX
Internal:
1. Competition (with myself)- I have a hard time sitting still, I always need to be working towards something and pushing myself.
2. Stress management.
3. Health.
4. Body image.
5. Variety- I get bored doing just one thing, like only weights or only running.

External:
1. Competition.
2. It's awesome to bond with my dad over tri training, and I can't wait to race together. It feels like coming full circle.
3. Social.
4. Showing off- a former friend spread rumors that even some of my old profs believe (like I'm a pregnant alcoholic). I have to send a "where are they now" update in a few months, and it would be nice to include pictures from my first tri.

Edited by kate86 2010-01-06 3:15 PM
2010-01-06 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Thousand Oaks, CA

My motivation is pretty much exclusively internal.  In general, I want to get in good shape and stay that way and reap the health benefits from a life of fitness.  Originally, triathlon appealed to me because the multi-sport aspect keeps it interesting. 

However, something unexpected happened.  I started seeing rapid changes to my body and to my mind.  I lost weight, I ran/swam/biked farther and farther.  I slept better.  I got some muscles (small, but they are there).

At the same time, other aspects of my life have stalled.  I love to learn new things and to develop my skills.  I'm in a job that I loathe, but the economy is bad, they pay me well, and it's close to home.  This supports my training schedule.  I love my family to death, but the kids have reached an age where their changes occur slowly and the big milestones that happen when they are little happen now with a much lower frequency. 

So my personal growth over the last while has come from triathlon.  Well.... not triathlon per se, but training for triathlon.  It has been an enriching experience.  I haven't done any races yet (frankly, I'm a little intimidated with competing), but I reach new milestones all the time.

The other aspects of my life will turn around -- they always do, but it's nice to know that I'll always have this.

No external motivators to speak of -- except that I would like to be sporting a six-pack of abs when pool season starts in April.      Gotta drop pounds for that!

2010-01-06 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Research shows that athletes with strong internal motivations tend to perform better, are happier in general and stick with sport longer than athletes who have only on external motivations like competition.  Even the pro triathletes have very strong internal motivations for doing tris.
2010-01-08 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2598575

User image

Veteran
Thousand Oaks, CA

kate86 - 2010-01-06 1:14 PM External:
4. Showing off- I have to send a "where are they now" update in a few months, and it would be nice to include pictures from my first tri.

+1 on this.  I guess I do have an external motivator.  When meeting with old friends or high school / college reunions, I want to be the guy who is in shape.  If only I could grow my hair back.Tongue out

2010-01-08 7:46 PM

User image

Seminole, FL
My Motivations

Originally it was completely external. I wanted to get back my pre-kids body.
But after my first race I fell in love with the tri-world.
-the  comradery! I just love triathletes. It is the only individual team sport I know of.
It is an individual effort but everyone is in your corner cheering you on wanting you to be your best.
-the absurdity of how far you can push the human body. I want to know my own max
-the race but it can be against yourself or others or both. There is always a pace bunny unless u r 1st
-the anxiousness right before a race and the glory at the finish

I am motivated by the sheer love of the sport and the people that accompany it.
I love the thrill of the race.
I want to be my best: spiritually, physically, mentally and emotionally and this is my vehicle of choice.
I am a stay at home mommy and wife triathlon gives me an identity outside of the home.

Edited by JenMcConnell 2010-01-08 7:48 PM

2010-01-08 10:28 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Just had a "quote" roll into my head while reading above posts...

"I am DEDICATED, I am MOTIVATED, I am on a QUEST TO BE THE BEST"

This is the quote that my 6yo's TungSooDo class states at the end of their creed before leaving class each time.

Kind of appropriate

Now I've just got to get the "dedicated" part down ;-)
2010-01-08 11:29 PM
in reply to: #2596606

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
zia_cyclist - 2010-01-06 10:59 AM
jhoyt1 - 2010-01-05 8:37 PM Any recommendations for working out while travelling.  I have to travel to Japan next week for work.  The hotel I stay at does not have good Gym hours so weight training and spinning will be out.  Whether permitting I should be able to get atleast 1 or 2 runs in.  Any other suggestions? 

Put together a core/abs/strength workout that you can do in your hotel room.  Use body wieght for strength training - pushups, squats, etc.

If you have elastic bands with handles you can do a swim dry land workout.

Make the week a run focused training week - lots of running drills, tempo runs, long runs, mix it up.
Just in case you did pick up a set of elastic bands, here's a link that came up in another thread:
--
--

http://www.nzmfg.com/dataDownload.asp?ID=110

Edited by dcon 2010-01-08 11:30 PM
2010-01-09 11:50 AM

User image

New user

Houston, TX
Tommy, I need some input on how to pick out a nutrition plan!

I have a tendency to be anemic and hypoglycemic (I'm not diabetic), so I end up feeling tired and weak a lot. I want to eat smaller portions more often to keep my energy up, and also trying to lose weight. I'm considering the Abs Diet. I can't cook (I burn water), so strict guidelines with simple recipes are easier for me to follow. I'm open to other plans though. Any thoughts?

Also, what's your take on supplements? The more articles I read about vitamins, the more confused I get.

Edited by kate86 2010-01-09 11:52 AM
2010-01-09 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hi -- I hit a major milestone today.  And I want to brag (my spouse and kids were not impressed).

I passed another cyclist today.

Okay... it doesn't sound quite so cool now that I write it.   And it's not totally correct.  I often pass bike commuters (usually guys with no helmets pedaling MTBs) and kids riding their BMXs.  But this time, it was a fit cyclist decked out in all the color-coordinated cycling gear and matching helmet, riding a roadie that was clearly a better bike than my hybrid.

Usually, these guys pass me like I'm standing still.  They can be the most out of shape guys, with their guts hanging over the sides, but they pass.  In fact, I will be pedaling furiously DOWN a hill, and these guys pass me WITHOUT EVEN PEDALING!  I hate that!

Oh... I forgot the best part.  I passed him going uphill.  And he never caught back up to me.

Woo Hoo!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclst's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 6