Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-01-13 2:46 PM
in reply to: #625438

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: jszat's Group - FULL
I started week 3 of my training today and have ran a total of 61 miles. After I run, if I eat even just a little bit I get a stomach ache. It really doesn't matter how much I eat, my stomach gets upset either way. For instance, today I ate a nutri-grain bar and 0.5 cup of oats with a clementine and the same thing happened. Why does this happen?

2007-01-16 10:05 AM
in reply to: #653582

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Pete10 - 2007-01-13 2:46 PM I started week 3 of my training today and have ran a total of 61 miles. After I run, if I eat even just a little bit I get a stomach ache. It really doesn't matter how much I eat, my stomach gets upset either way. For instance, today I ate a nutri-grain bar and 0.5 cup of oats with a clementine and the same thing happened. Why does this happen?

You will have to find what works for you, but for post run recovery, most nutritional stuff I have read will point to a 4:1 carb to protein mix.  I usually will do wheat bread with some PB&J or turkey.  I generally will drink some milk personally or for harder days, use Endurox recovery drink, though some studies have shown that chocolate milk works just as good.  I would maybe stay away from the clementine due to acidity until you get something more substantial in you.  Lately I have been hitting some OJ after tougher workouts, but that is after I have something back in my stomach. 

2007-01-24 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
I rolled my ankle in basketball practice. I don't know what to do now.
2007-01-24 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
Tulsa
I have a question about HR training. I am 22 years old and i have calculated that my aerobic zone is between 150-165 bpm. I do ok staying in that range on my bike rides, but not even close on my runs. My background is in running and the pace that my HR is at 185 i can run for 10 miles. So i don't know what to do. Should i slow down to 165bpm?

I can hold just under 8min/min for around 10-15 miles, but my HR is at 185 or higher. If i slow down it feels like i'm draging along. Any suggestions?
2007-01-24 9:43 PM
in reply to: #666885

User image

Fairmont WV
Pete10, Ice Ice Ice....20 min on 20min off, 2-3 times a day for the first few days to keep swelling down. When it starts feeling better draw your A,B,C..... with your toe, helps strengthen the tendons in your ankle. Ask your coach or trainer about tapeing them up!
2007-01-26 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Tulsa
I have a question about training. I am currently on a 12 week sprint plan which i have about 6 weeks left of. I have a sprint race at the end of april and i want to do an olympic race in mid June. After my sprint plan is done i will have 14 weeks until the olympic. I plan on starting a 12-16 week olympic plan after my sprint plan is done. My question is do you think i will be able to do an olympic by then? A 10K won't be a problem for me, as i can run a half marathon right now. So i don't think in 20wks a 10K would be that difficult. The 30 mile bike i don't believe will be a problem either. I am just concerned with the swim. It is a 1200m or 1500m swim and i don't know if i will be ready for that. I feel that my swimming is getting better, but i am still running out of breath. I know everyone starts out like this, but do you think another 20 weeks is enough time to be able to get into that good of swimming shape? I am very competitive, so i know i will be trying to beat people. But my main goal is to just finish. Let me know what you think?

Thanks

2007-01-28 6:31 PM
in reply to: #667084

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
slashwv - 2007-01-24 9:43 PM

Pete10, Ice Ice Ice....20 min on 20min off, 2-3 times a day for the first few days to keep swelling down. When it starts feeling better draw your A,B,C..... with your toe, helps strengthen the tendons in your ankle. Ask your coach or trainer about tapeing them up!

I can now walk on it without pain and it hasn't affected my weight training. The tough thing now will be stepping back out onto the pavement after the long lay-off.
2007-01-29 8:24 PM
in reply to: #669067

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

ballyard7 - 2007-01-26 12:24 PM I have a question about training. I am currently on a 12 week sprint plan which i have about 6 weeks left of. I have a sprint race at the end of april and i want to do an olympic race in mid June. After my sprint plan is done i will have 14 weeks until the olympic. I plan on starting a 12-16 week olympic plan after my sprint plan is done. My question is do you think i will be able to do an olympic by then? A 10K won't be a problem for me, as i can run a half marathon right now. So i don't think in 20wks a 10K would be that difficult. The 30 mile bike i don't believe will be a problem either. I am just concerned with the swim. It is a 1200m or 1500m swim and i don't know if i will be ready for that. I feel that my swimming is getting better, but i am still running out of breath. I know everyone starts out like this, but do you think another 20 weeks is enough time to be able to get into that good of swimming shape? I am very competitive, so i know i will be trying to beat people. But my main goal is to just finish. Let me know what you think? Thanks

Your biggest help in the swim will be focusing on form, sticking to your drills and being patient.  Once you have the technique refined a bit, you will find it really isnt a lack of fitness that makes it seem hard, but shifts in being comfy in the water and timing your breathing.  I was stubborn about learning the proper way or even getting in the pool cuz I could fudge the swim in a sprint generally with some sidestroke.  However, signing up for a HIM and not wanting to drown was great motivation for improving the swim.  I think you will see the same with the oly.  Form first and then once your breathing seems easy and you are gliding in the pool, then start throwing in some faster sets.  Until then you will likely only be reinforcing inefficiency.

2007-01-30 2:21 AM
in reply to: #669067

User image

Expert
London, UK
ballyard7 - 2007-01-26 6:24 PM

I have a question about training. I am currently on a 12 week sprint plan which i have about 6 weeks left of. I have a sprint race at the end of april and i want to do an olympic race in mid June. After my sprint plan is done i will have 14 weeks until the olympic. I plan on starting a 12-16 week olympic plan after my sprint plan is done. My question is do you think i will be able to do an olympic by then? A 10K won't be a problem for me, as i can run a half marathon right now. So i don't think in 20wks a 10K would be that difficult. The 30 mile bike i don't believe will be a problem either. I am just concerned with the swim. It is a 1200m or 1500m swim and i don't know if i will be ready for that. I feel that my swimming is getting better, but i am still running out of breath. I know everyone starts out like this, but do you think another 20 weeks is enough time to be able to get into that good of swimming shape? I am very competitive, so i know i will be trying to beat people. But my main goal is to just finish. Let me know what you think?

Thanks

I'd agree with everything Joe said (he's the donkey mentor after all, right) and add that getting some lessons would be a good move. It's a great help to get some advice from a swim coach even if it's just a couple of lessons to begin with. You've obviously got good fitness from all the running, so with a lot of work on your stroke, 20 weeks will be more than enough to get you through the oly swim.

As a note of encouragement I used to swim 16 hours a week in my teens and when I got back in the pool a few weeks ago I sure as sh@t was out off breath (and still was when I swam this morning). So yeah swimming is HARD but if you get in the pool 3 times a week until your oly you'll do great.
2007-01-30 5:20 PM

User image

Fairmont WV
Hey Pete10. Remeber that just because its feeling better doesn't mean it healed... Still talk to someone about tapeing it for you when you play b-ball. And the abc stretch is always a good thing to do. Even when its not hurt,it help build it up, and keeps it flex.

John, I have to agree with jens and Joe about the swimming part. It is by far my worst thing. But I have gotten better just by working on tech. and doing some of the swim programs they have on BT. Hope everyone is doing well, been under the weather for a few days but I'm back and ready to train. Keep up the good work all.

Edited by slashwv 2007-01-30 5:21 PM
2007-02-08 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
Well, I encountered some tendonitis problems because I'm a heel striker. I'm going to have to change to striking the ground with the balls of my feet if I want to stay injury free.

2007-02-14 9:01 AM
in reply to: #684757

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Pete10 - 2007-02-08 10:16 PM Well, I encountered some tendonitis problems because I'm a heel striker. I'm going to have to change to striking the ground with the balls of my feet if I want to stay injury free.

Was this diagnosed by a doc or are you just guessing here?  I ask cuz it might be building volume too quickly as well.

2007-02-17 11:12 PM
in reply to: #690160

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
Guessing, but I'm pretty sure it is patellar tendonitis. I don't know, I'm not doing real heavy volume on the running (right now between 25-30 miles per week) but it may be that combined with basketball (which is over after this week) and weight training. Some days I'll run, weight train, and practice all in the same day.
2007-02-26 8:51 AM
in reply to: #694312

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Pete10 - 2007-02-17 11:12 PM Guessing, but I'm pretty sure it is patellar tendonitis. I don't know, I'm not doing real heavy volume on the running (right now between 25-30 miles per week) but it may be that combined with basketball (which is over after this week) and weight training. Some days I'll run, weight train, and practice all in the same day.

Where exactly does it hurt?  I have had a few boughts with frontal knee pain recently and have been giving some stretches to do and am cutting back on running for a bit.  Does it get really sore while running?  Whats it doing after you run?

2007-02-27 9:11 PM
in reply to: #702990

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
jszat - 2007-02-26 8:51 AM

Pete10 - 2007-02-17 11:12 PM Guessing, but I'm pretty sure it is patellar tendonitis. I don't know, I'm not doing real heavy volume on the running (right now between 25-30 miles per week) but it may be that combined with basketball (which is over after this week) and weight training. Some days I'll run, weight train, and practice all in the same day.

Where exactly does it hurt?  I have had a few boughts with frontal knee pain recently and have been giving some stretches to do and am cutting back on running for a bit.  Does it get really sore while running?  Whats it doing after you run?

Yes, it's the frontal knee region, but the pain has seemed to fade, and it's currently doing much better, maybe due in part to the change in my form when running. Now, I don't touch my heels to the ground, which has minimized impact on my knees, but probably placed more on my ankles.

Originally, some days it would get very painful when I was running and I'd be forced to stop.

After I run, as long as I give it a good rest, it usually settles down.

Edited by Pete10 2007-02-27 9:17 PM
2007-03-05 5:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
Update

I started week 7 of Hal Higdon's intermediate 1 training program today. I've now been training for the marathon for a total of 10 weeks. I've faced many ups and downs along the way but I'm starting to become addicted. I love the "runner's high" feeling.

Hopefully it warms up soon, I'm really sick of running with snow and strong wind.

I can't wait for the marathon but I've still got a long way to go and the longest runs are still to come.

Edited by Pete10 2007-03-05 5:51 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jszat's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 3