BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Daffodil's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-01-24 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3265638

Subject: RE: Daffodil's Group - Closed
I have my first tri of the season on sunday.  it's a very short sprint tri. only a 3k run, 6 mile bike and 400 swim.  in that order. 

any suggestions for the transitions since it will be backwards?  i'm thinking about just wearing my swimsuit under my clothes to run and bike in. 

crystal

2011-01-25 6:09 AM
in reply to: #3319576

User image

Expert
crystale - 2011-01-24 11:54 PM I have my first tri of the season on sunday.  it's a very short sprint tri. only a 3k run, 6 mile bike and 400 swim.  in that order. 

any suggestions for the transitions since it will be backwards?  i'm thinking about just wearing my swimsuit under my clothes to run and bike in. 

crystal

I've never done a reverse order tri before.  I would wear your swimsuit for the entire race.  if need be, wear a sports bra under your swim suit.  I did that for my first several seasons of tris.  If you have them, you can actually wear tri clothes for swimming too (shorts and shirt).  If you don't have them, don't worry, you'll be fine without.

Have you practived your transitions yet?  If not, it would be a good idea to practice on saturday to make sure that you don't forget anything.  Remember your helmet must be ON and BUCKLED before you can move your bike

And most of all, have fun!!!  remember this is all for fun, it is why we do it
2011-01-25 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3312385

New user

Portland
Subject: RE: Daffodil's Group - Open

Better late than never....sorry for the delay on getting a profile up

NAME:
Ginny

STORY:
I work as a manager of education programs for a local non-profit—been there about 5 years, but this job is new to me, and I find I need to get out an exercise to decompress a bit and deal with stress. I live with my fella and our cat in a house we bought together in Portland, OR a year or so ago. We met on a hike with a local mountaineering club a few years ago and have been participating in a variety of related activities together since—rock climbing, alpine climbing, hiking, xc skiing, etc. It’s been a lot of fun, but my fella has a higher risk tolerance than I do and is looking to do some climbs that aren’t of interest to me, so I’m looking for something that’ll challenge me and keep me active when he’s off doing his thing. I’ve always had a triathlon on my bucket list, and I think this year is the year. I’ve done a fair bit of running and some biking (mostly commuting) over the years, but haven’t ever really swum for fitness.

CURRENT TRAINING:   I go to the rock gym a couple times a week and do a fair bit of walking. I’ve been recovering from a hip injury and I’m just getting back into running. Add sporadic yoga or pilates, and the occasional weekend hike or xc ski. A friend who’s training for an Olympic distance triathlon has been trying to get me into the pool, but we haven’t made it happen yet. We plan to do at least some of our training together. She completed her first tri last summer.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: The last race I did was a ½ marathon last April. Got out of running in favor of hiking and climbing over the summer, but I’m ready to set another goal to keep me motivated.

2011 RACES:  Nothing on the calendar yet officially...but looking at a sprint at the end of June to kick things off. I also have some coworkers who’ve invited me to do a ½ marathon with them in October, but I’m waffling—I think something with some more enforced cross-training might be a better bet for keeping the hip healthy.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm 5'8", 180ish...not specifically looking to lose weight, but tend to flux a bit, naturally, when I'm focused on training for something     

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I like to hear perspective, ideas and input from lots of different folks when I’m working on something, so I think hearing from a mentor and fellow mentees would be a good support for me feeling reasonably comfortable come race day.

2011-01-25 5:10 PM

I haven't doen one of these yet so here goes:

NAME: Sarah

STORY:
Married and currently a full time Mum of two. (ages 3yrs and baby is 8 months), formally a teacher in the UK. Moved to the States in August after 6 years in Australia. Ran a couple of races in 2006, followed by the Canberra Marathon.  I love running, and my work outs keep me sane and give me some time alone and away from my beloved family.

CURRENT TRAINING:   I've been working with a personal trainer once a week since October to help get back into shape and have been taking some pilates classes and getting back into running. I am trying to swim twice a week with two more sessions alternating biking and running. Time is limited so my training sessions cover two disciplines at a time, generally ridiculously early in the morning.  Life will be so much easier when baby is old enough to go into the child care at the gym!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have entered a tri in August but plan to find some short and longer distance runs to have a go at.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm 5'3", and have just got down to 128lbs from a lot more than that post baby! Ideally I have a bit more to go - the increased training is definitely helping.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE
:  I am completely open to advice having little or no idea about training for triathlons at all, particularly training for a distance swim. I am completely motivated to give this my best shot and I've already paid my entrance fee so I have to keep going now!

Edited by STate 2011-01-25 5:11 PM
2011-01-25 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3320430

User image

Expert
shinyredshoe - 2011-01-25 11:55 AM

Better late than never....sorry for the delay on getting a profile up

NAME:
Ginny

STORY:
I work as a manager of education programs for a local non-profit—been there about 5 years, but this job is new to me, and I find I need to get out an exercise to decompress a bit and deal with stress. I live with my fella and our cat in a house we bought together in Portland, OR a year or so ago. We met on a hike with a local mountaineering club a few years ago and have been participating in a variety of related activities together since—rock climbing, alpine climbing, hiking, xc skiing, etc. It’s been a lot of fun, but my fella has a higher risk tolerance than I do and is looking to do some climbs that aren’t of interest to me, so I’m looking for something that’ll challenge me and keep me active when he’s off doing his thing. I’ve always had a triathlon on my bucket list, and I think this year is the year. I’ve done a fair bit of running and some biking (mostly commuting) over the years, but haven’t ever really swum for fitness.

CURRENT TRAINING:   I go to the rock gym a couple times a week and do a fair bit of walking. I’ve been recovering from a hip injury and I’m just getting back into running. Add sporadic yoga or pilates, and the occasional weekend hike or xc ski. A friend who’s training for an Olympic distance triathlon has been trying to get me into the pool, but we haven’t made it happen yet. We plan to do at least some of our training together. She completed her first tri last summer.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: The last race I did was a ½ marathon last April. Got out of running in favor of hiking and climbing over the summer, but I’m ready to set another goal to keep me motivated.

2011 RACES:  Nothing on the calendar yet officially...but looking at a sprint at the end of June to kick things off. I also have some coworkers who’ve invited me to do a ½ marathon with them in October, but I’m waffling—I think something with some more enforced cross-training might be a better bet for keeping the hip healthy.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm 5'8", 180ish...not specifically looking to lose weight, but tend to flux a bit, naturally, when I'm focused on training for something     

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I like to hear perspective, ideas and input from lots of different folks when I’m working on something, so I think hearing from a mentor and fellow mentees would be a good support for me feeling reasonably comfortable come race day.

Sounds like you have a decent start on things!  You say that you have never swum for fitness but how is your swimming form?  with swimming form is everything
2011-01-25 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3321343

User image

Expert
STate - 2011-01-25 6:10 PM I haven't doen one of these yet so here goes:

NAME: Sarah

STORY:
Married and currently a full time Mum of two. (ages 3yrs and baby is 8 months), formally a teacher in the UK. Moved to the States in August after 6 years in Australia. Ran a couple of races in 2006, followed by the Canberra Marathon.  I love running, and my work outs keep me sane and give me some time alone and away from my beloved family.

CURRENT TRAINING:   I've been working with a personal trainer once a week since October to help get back into shape and have been taking some pilates classes and getting back into running. I am trying to swim twice a week with two more sessions alternating biking and running. Time is limited so my training sessions cover two disciplines at a time, generally ridiculously early in the morning.  Life will be so much easier when baby is old enough to go into the child care at the gym!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have entered a tri in August but plan to find some short and longer distance runs to have a go at.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm 5'3", and have just got down to 128lbs from a lot more than that post baby! Ideally I have a bit more to go - the increased training is definitely helping.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE
:  I am completely open to advice having little or no idea about training for triathlons at all, particularly training for a distance swim. I am completely motivated to give this my best shot and I've already paid my entrance fee so I have to keep going now!

Sounds like you have a good start as well Sara!  there is no problem with doing two workouts at a time, it will probably help with transitions and also gives you lots of recovery time   can you take the baby out on walks on off days?  I just find I feel sluggish when I'm not doing much.

2011-01-27 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
So it has been a week since I closed this group.  How is everything going with everyone?  Has everyone picked a goal race and decided on the distance?  Has everyone figured out their training plans?  If people have any questions, let me know
2011-01-28 7:54 PM

Things are going along just sweet for me thanks. I've enjoyed a recovery week this week and feeling rested and keen to dig deep for next week's training. Only 7 weeks to go for my sprint tri... BRING IT ON!
2011-01-28 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3313571

New user

Drayton
Hello again Laura.  Don't worry.  I didn't dissappear.  Signed up for Woodstock give-it-a-tri in June.  I figure there will be enough to think about with my first race without worrying about distances, and also because I joined a swim class this past week and realized the size of the mountain I have to climb.  Nevertheless, the swimming is going good.  Also printed off a training schedule using the program feature.  I may feel the urge to do more but at least this is a start. 
What I'm also thinking about is my diet.  I try to eat healthy with lots of fresh fruit and home cooked meals (mostly rice with some pasta and bread) as well as a variety of pork, lean beef and some seafood.  Are there certain foods I should be leaning towards?  How about others I should stay away from?
2011-01-29 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3328052

User image

Expert
goingbald - 2011-01-28 10:53 PM Hello again Laura.  Don't worry.  I didn't dissappear.  Signed up for Woodstock give-it-a-tri in June.  I figure there will be enough to think about with my first race without worrying about distances, and also because I joined a swim class this past week and realized the size of the mountain I have to climb.  Nevertheless, the swimming is going good.  Also printed off a training schedule using the program feature.  I may feel the urge to do more but at least this is a start. 
What I'm also thinking about is my diet.  I try to eat healthy with lots of fresh fruit and home cooked meals (mostly rice with some pasta and bread) as well as a variety of pork, lean beef and some seafood.  Are there certain foods I should be leaning towards?  How about others I should stay away from?

I find food is a very personal thing, you'll have to find out what does and doesn't work for you.  I can't have any animal based fat before a long run because it wrecks havoc on my digestive system, some people are fine with it, but have to avoid fibre, or milk, or whatever.  Trial and error.  I try to aim for 50% carb, 25% protein and 25% fat in my diet, but usually end up higher in carbs and lower in fat.
2011-01-30 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3302431

User image

Good luck on the ski wax thing.  *Some* downhill skiing rental companies & shops will have it but not many.  I got some waxless skis, which are great but my boots need some breakin in -- I have some killer blisters after only an hour & a half yesterday.  You can, of course, get it online too, but it's a pain to really wax skis (real wax, not spray-on liquid wax).

And yes, I usually do use the training logs.  It helps me see how I'm doing -- from a time commitment, miles put in this week, speed, etc. point of view.  I find it very helpful to get a bigger-picture view of my training.

2011-02-01 9:06 AM

I had my tri on Sunday. It was a 3k run.  I went my best run time but came in last of all the runners. 6 mile bike, then a 400 swim. I ended up catching one person on the bike and 3 more on the swim.  In my age group I was first in the swim but last in both the bike and run.   I know what I need to work on!  

I really liked going in reverse order.  It is much easier to take off clothes and get in the pool, than to get out of the pool and put clothes on when you are wet. 
2011-02-01 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3332807

crystale - 2011-02-02 4:06 AM

I had my tri on Sunday. It was a 3k run.  I went my best run time but came in last of all the runners. 6 mile bike, then a 400 swim. I ended up catching one person on the bike and 3 more on the swim.  In my age group I was first in the swim but last in both the bike and run.   I know what I need to work on!  

I really liked going in reverse order.  It is much easier to take off clothes and get in the pool, than to get out of the pool and put clothes on when you are wet. 

WAY TO GO CRYSTALE! Well done on running your best time! And I bet you felt soooo good passing someone on the bike leg. You're obviously a super swimmer. Congratulations once again - and good luck with your training for you half marathon in April.

Edited by inspiration 2011-02-01 4:00 PM
2011-02-01 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
crystale - 2011-02-01 10:06 AM I had my tri on Sunday. It was a 3k run.  I went my best run time but came in last of all the runners. 6 mile bike, then a 400 swim. I ended up catching one person on the bike and 3 more on the swim.  In my age group I was first in the swim but last in both the bike and run.   I know what I need to work on!  

I'm a lot like you are.  I am a strong swimmer, and okay runner and not great cyclist.  When you do a proper order tri, you will be amazed at all the bikes on the rack when you get out of the water and feel like a superstar   Great job on your first tri!!!
2011-02-03 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3312344

Hi Laura, 

I'm curious about how nutrition fuels working out - so pre- and post- workout nutrition.  Also, I'd love input from anyone about how to get good swimming workouts in... what makes a swimming practice good?  
2011-02-03 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3337711

User image

Expert
Amandalin29 - 2011-02-03 2:43 PM Hi Laura, 

I'm curious about how nutrition fuels working out - so pre- and post- workout nutrition.  Also, I'd love input from anyone about how to get good swimming workouts in... what makes a swimming practice good?  

Nutrition - pre workout - you'll have to play around to see what works for you.  Most people like a light carb snack that is low on fibre before working out.  I can have a banana like 10 minutes before working out, but other people I know have to eat a few hours before and can't eat anything in morning before a run.

Post workout.  General consensus is that something with protein is good and some carbs.  Protein drink, chocolate milk, cheese with fruit, etc.  My coach says you should something within 30 minutes and have something more substatial within a couple of hours.

Swimming - I'm not sure what you mean in your question, do you mean what makes good form.

2011-02-03 7:59 PM

Laura, how vital is it that I continue (or more accurately - begin again) with my weight training? My tri is in 8 weeks, and I'm feeling satisfied enough with myself for having come this far and still keeping up with my swim, bike, run workouts (which I consider to mostly be DIFFICULT!) I especially don't like doing 16 x 30sec sprints with 30sec jogs between within a 36min run. Infact, I'd much rather go for a long 1hr 10min run with my 2yo in the mountain buggy up and down hills, than to do my run speed sessions!

Oh well, it's all gonna add up though... be really interesting to see how much this training is going to pay off for me!
2011-02-04 5:07 AM
in reply to: #3338338

User image

Expert
inspiration - 2011-02-03 8:59 PM Laura, how vital is it that I continue (or more accurately - begin again) with my weight training? My tri is in 8 weeks, and I'm feeling satisfied enough with myself for having come this far and still keeping up with my swim, bike, run workouts (which I consider to mostly be DIFFICULT!) I especially don't like doing 16 x 30sec sprints with 30sec jogs between within a 36min run. Infact, I'd much rather go for a long 1hr 10min run with my 2yo in the mountain buggy up and down hills, than to do my run speed sessions! Oh well, it's all gonna add up though... be really interesting to see how much this training is going to pay off for me!

I'm notoriously bad for doing weights.  I'm trying to get to the gym once a week right now for weights and that is getting difficult.  I just kind of hate it.  That being said, when I'm doing them consistently I'm much stronger.  Also, having a strong core is pretty key for injury prevention, particularly low back.

Also, pushing your kid in a stroller up and down hills is pretty good speed work.  I wouldn't discount that.  anything that pushes your heart rate up to an uncomfortable level and then allows you a break to get your breathe back (i.e., downhill) will help build your cardio capacity.
2011-02-04 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3338577

Daffodil - 2011-02-05 12:07 AM

I'm notoriously bad for doing weights.  I'm trying to get to the gym once a week right now for weights and that is getting difficult.  I just kind of hate it.  That being said, when I'm doing them consistently I'm much stronger.  Also, having a strong core is pretty key for injury prevention, particularly low back.

Oh well, I guess I was kinda hoping you'd say don't worry too much about weight training! I do understand how important strength is, so... I just need to toughen up and get on with it! Watch this space...
2011-02-04 8:18 PM

New user

Drayton
Good job Crystale!  Good inspiration for the rest of us.
2011-02-04 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3328274

New user

Drayton
Thanks for giving some input on diet, Laura.  I'm thinking I still might have too much fat in my meals but I'll do what I can to change that.  Amazing how signing up for a race can motivate someone to train.

Edited by goingbald 2011-02-04 8:33 PM

2011-02-05 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3340056

User image

Regular
Chicago
goingbald - 2011-02-04 8:29 PM Thanks for giving some input on diet, Laura.  I'm thinking I still might have too much fat in my meals but I'll do what I can to change that.  Amazing how signing up for a race can motivate someone to train.

I'm the same way! It's so hard for me to get workouts in unless I have a race on the horizon. Sometimes I turn the  course map into my desktop wallpaper for extra motivation. 
2011-02-06 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3340415

User image

Expert
doxie - 2011-02-05 10:08 AM
goingbald - 2011-02-04 8:29 PM Thanks for giving some input on diet, Laura.  I'm thinking I still might have too much fat in my meals but I'll do what I can to change that.  Amazing how signing up for a race can motivate someone to train.

I'm the same way! It's so hard for me to get workouts in unless I have a race on the horizon. Sometimes I turn the  course map into my desktop wallpaper for extra motivation. 

That is a great idea   I think I might try that sometime.
2011-02-07 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3338334

New user

Bangkok
Sorry, my 'reply to' on the below message seems to have gone astray.  It's a response to Amandalin's question :

Amandalin29 - 2011-02-03 2:43 PM Hi Laura, 

Hi  (RE.  Swim Workouts)

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but .... I've been using 'Zoggs' http://www.zoggs.com/  swim workouts for triathlon for a couple of years now.  Go to their website and register, then click on their 'swim4fitness' tab.  There are TONNES of workouts for whatever distance of triathlon you are training for (numerous per week.)  It takes the guessing out of what to do - on which week - and what intensity (not to mention the boredom factor.)  In fact, I'm so 'sad' that I've printed out and laminated a lot of these!

This is their 'blurb'.....  "Our xworkouts are freestyle focused and concentrate on building aerobic fitness, speed and endurance to get you through any level of triathlon from Super Sprint through to Olympic or Iron Man. There's also lots of expert advice and tips available to ensure you are fully prepared and read more..."

I highly recommend it!  Enjoy!  Bridget

Edited by watter 2011-02-07 7:17 PM
2011-02-09 8:11 PM

User image

crystale - 2011-02-01 10:06 AM I had my tri on Sunday. It was a 3k run.  I went my best run time but came in last of all the runners. 6 mile bike, then a 400 swim. I ended up catching one person on the bike and 3 more on the swim.  In my age group I was first in the swim but last in both the bike and run.   I know what I need to work on!  

Congrats!
I am also must like you except I am a decent biker and a poor runner and swimmer.  It's easier to make up time on the bike, but same idea still.  I'm trying the "work on it 1 piece at a time" method.  Last spring I switched to & got comfortable with my road bike  and over the winter I'm working on swim technique.  Little bit at a time you'll improve.
BUT...getting your best run time is still something to be proud of -- a personal best is a personal best regardless of whether it would be everyone else's personal best or not.  So way to go!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Daffodil's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 4