BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Daffodil's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-02-09 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3265638

User image

Subject: RE: Daffodil's Group - Closed

Besides Crystale who's already beat us all to the punch...when is everyone's 1st race this year?
I believe mine will be May 1.  A super sprint with a pool swim and a 7 lap bike course!  
Ha ha ha...a nice way to start the season and the 1st one I know of within 100 miles of here.  Anyone else have their season-opener planned?

2011-02-09 10:02 PM

User image

I have decided on my first triathlon!! April 17 is the date. I haven't signed up yet but I am set on it. My 11 week program peaks the last week of march, but then I have spring break from work and my mom is coming to help me do wedding stuff (we'll see how much I get to train...). After she leaves, I will focus on getting ready for the race. 
Here is some more info on it:
http://www.coastal.edu/recreation/details.html?x=52

As far as training goes, so far I have not missed a DAY!!! This is my third week and the schedule is working great. I go to the gym in the morning (5:30 AM) and I am loving it because I get it done before I get worn out physically and emotionally at work. I have noticed an increase in energy and I get so much more stuff done when I get home. I have not lost much weight, but I am so happy completing the workouts and knowing that I am improving, that the weight loss has become almost a secondary goal. As far as the training goes, I have to lower my HR a bit in the run, but it is not that bad. I am loving the (stationary) bike workouts, especially on the spinning bicycle. And swimming... well, lets say that I freak out a little bit with the breathing, but  I am working on it. 

Besides training, I am getting ready for the tri by getting some gear: I got fitted for running shoes and it was one of the best choices I have made. It made a difference!! I used to hate how running felt on my feet--now I feel like I am running on cotton.  I have found a couple second hand bikes online but I have a small budget so... I am still looking.
So.. that is all folks! 
2011-02-10 12:22 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
My first tri isn't until July 10! I'm doing a few running races beforehand, but I can't find anything before July in Chicago where I will be in town. We have three weddings in June that limit availability.
2011-02-10 5:19 PM

Subject: waht to do
I recently did a very short sprint triathlon.  It was the first in a series of 4 with each one adding more bike and run to the distance.    The next one is scheduled for Feb. 20th.  the run is a little over a mile longer and the bike is 6 miles longer. 

part of me wants to sit this one out and wait for the one in march (it's actually same distances, just in the right order)  i would like to get off a few pounds between now and then.  i have started a group with a couple friends and we are helping to keep each other accountable. 

part of me wants to go on and do it even though i dont think i'm fully prepared for the longer distances. 

any opinions?
2011-02-13 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3349450

User image

Subject: RE: waht to do
Honestly, this is a bit of a personal question.

I am one of those people that's generally happy to finish a race and I love getting a personal best.  With that, I'm perfectly fine with being 2nd or 3rd to last in a race.  Honestly, some "races" I do entirely as training runs because they have a particularly good swim course or closed course bike which I wouldn't normally have access to.
On the other hand, many people are not cool with that...they have to be totally ready to be super competitive and at peak performance for the race or not go through with it at all.

If you're like me...then I say go for it.  Call it a "training run" and if you have to walk or slow down where you shouldn't have to had you been more "ready", then oh well, you walk or rest.  If it's just a piece of a mile too long on the run and a couple miles too long on the bike, then there shouldn't be too much fear of an injury from increased distance.  If you know it's a little too long for you, then expect to go a little slower & take the pressure off of yourself a little if you do choose to do it.  If during it you feel that it really is too much, then make sure you've given yourself permission beforehand to say "enough" if needed*.   
*I only say that because I once had a situation come up when I wasn't ready for something (I had a mild asthma attack on a bike ride) and under reduced oxygen I didn't have the good sense on my own to recognize the issue and stop right away.  That said, it was a fluke -- I wouldn't expect that you will have any issues, but certainly don't risk injury should an issue come up.

If it was me, I'd go for it.
My 2 cents on the subject.

crystale - 2011-02-10 6:19 PM I recently did a very short sprint triathlon.  It was the first in a series of 4 with each one adding more bike and run to the distance.    The next one is scheduled for Feb. 20th.  the run is a little over a mile longer and the bike is 6 miles longer. 

part of me wants to sit this one out and wait for the one in march (it's actually same distances, just in the right order)  i would like to get off a few pounds between now and then.  i have started a group with a couple friends and we are helping to keep each other accountable. 

part of me wants to go on and do it even though i dont think i'm fully prepared for the longer distances. 

any opinions?
2011-02-14 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3349450

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: waht to do
crystale - 2011-02-10 6:19 PM I recently did a very short sprint triathlon.  It was the first in a series of 4 with each one adding more bike and run to the distance.    The next one is scheduled for Feb. 20th.  the run is a little over a mile longer and the bike is 6 miles longer. 

any opinions?

Only you can decide for sure if you are going to complete the race on Sunday.  You'll have to think about the benefits and drawbacks.  Your swim is your strongest and your run is your weakest.  you'll always be able to walk on the run to make sure you finish, but I think it is a sprint distance so a 5K run right?  and you are already running that far?  I think you would be able to finish.  Would you be discouraged if you don't finish as well as you want, or will it motivate you to do better next time?

2011-02-14 8:27 PM

User image

Expert
I have two races planned so far.  half marathon on May 15th and half ironman on June 25th   there is a local sprint here at the beginning of June.  I think I will plan to volunteer at that race instead of race.  I'm paying off my new bike so I don't have a lot of money for race registrations
2011-02-15 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3355261

Hi everyone, I'm enjoying keeping up with all the posts.

I haven't got a race planned until August! It seemed appropriate at the time but now I'm thinking that it might be a waste of all this training! Maybe I should just get on with it and find another race a bit sooner? It would be nice to have some time training on a real bike, outside, though....... I'm hoping the snow will be gone in good time!
2011-02-15 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3355568

User image

Expert
STate - 2011-02-15 8:19 AM Hi everyone, I'm enjoying keeping up with all the posts.

I haven't got a race planned until August! It seemed appropriate at the time but now I'm thinking that it might be a waste of all this training! Maybe I should just get on with it and find another race a bit sooner? It would be nice to have some time training on a real bike, outside, though....... I'm hoping the snow will be gone in good time!

What about a running race?  could give you something to focus a bit of energy on while you are waiting for winter to end?  I'm planning on a May half marathon so that is my main focus right now.
2011-02-20 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3356947

User image

Had a mini-indoor-practice tri today at one of the local gyms.  I only saw it and signed up earlier this week so I didn't really "plan it" but figured it would be a good time to practice my swim training for real.  Honestly, the swim didn't go so well, the bike went better than I expected (I've never ridden a spinning bike with a computer) and the run went ok for it being my 1st of the year, so I was happy.

On the race in Aug, State, Daff's suggestion of the running race is a great idea.  If you're like me, you need some kind of immediate focus for your training energy and improvement and it's hard to train for a bike ride/race when there's snow on the ground and gravel on the roads -- the run is usually something that everyone could get better on -- and preparing for it with a little longer run like a 10k or 1/2 marathon helps leg stregth, endurance -- things you'll use all over for your tris.  I know a girl at work who's doing the exact same thing - a May 1/2 Marathon.  This time of year, if you live in a place that gets the full effects of winter, it's good to have something like that to help maintain immediate focus within your training program -- I know I tend to taper off without it.
I am personally on a "winter personal swim lesson" training for my temporary immediate focus.  It seemed to pay off too, I was 8th to last out of 40 on my swim time though 3 of us agreed that the lap counter probably made me do 550 yds in this morning's race instead of 500.  Usually I'm in the last 5 in a groups of 100+ so that's actually significant improvement even without considering the extra lap.
2011-02-21 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3364202

User image

Expert
deweyz - 2011-02-20 5:20 PM Had a mini-indoor-practice tri today at one of the local gyms.  I only saw it and signed up earlier this week so I didn't really "plan it" but figured it would be a good time to practice my swim training for real.  Honestly, the swim didn't go so well, the bike went better than I expected (I've never ridden a spinning bike with a computer) and the run went ok for it being my 1st of the year, so I was happy.

On the race in Aug, State, Daff's suggestion of the running race is a great idea.  If you're like me, you need some kind of immediate focus for your training energy and improvement and it's hard to train for a bike ride/race when there's snow on the ground and gravel on the roads -- the run is usually something that everyone could get better on -- and preparing for it with a little longer run like a 10k or 1/2 marathon helps leg stregth, endurance -- things you'll use all over for your tris.  I know a girl at work who's doing the exact same thing - a May 1/2 Marathon.  This time of year, if you live in a place that gets the full effects of winter, it's good to have something like that to help maintain immediate focus within your training program -- I know I tend to taper off without it.
I am personally on a "winter personal swim lesson" training for my temporary immediate focus.  It seemed to pay off too, I was 8th to last out of 40 on my swim time though 3 of us agreed that the lap counter probably made me do 550 yds in this morning's race instead of 500.  Usually I'm in the last 5 in a groups of 100+ so that's actually significant improvement even without considering the extra lap.

It is very easy to train for an outside run race on a treadmill.  Actually, I would say that running on a treadmill helps with running - best tempo run are the ones where you learn to keep your speed consistent. 

2011-02-26 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3366041

User image

Easy for you, not for everybody. 
Treadmills make me dizzy.  I've tried a dozen times.  Even walking on them, the second I get off I walk straight into a wall.  I've talked to others before with the same problem, it's not as uncommon as one would think...some people just can't use treadmills.
Besides...my gym has a line waiting for treadmills...2 PM on Saturday, 9 PM on Wednesday, just all the time they're full.  But it's the only option gym-wise in the area, otherwise I'd have to give up the pool.  Given the option...I'll take the pool, and let the run wait a few more weeks...

It is very easy to train for an outside run race on a treadmill.  Actually, I would say that running on a treadmill helps with running - best tempo run are the ones where you learn to keep your speed consistent. 
2011-02-27 6:21 PM

Hi fellow Mentees! How's everyone's training coming along? This morning I ran my first tempo run... it was awesome - felt sooooo good! After doing plenty of sprint intervals it was far more enjoyable to do some hard running. Infact, I'd much rather do tempo work any day! I love it when everything just comes together so well and leaves me feeling strong and fast and buzzing out. I'm pleased I've had such a good session because I'd been feeling a bit tired and wanting this all to be OVER. Now I can't wait to go hard out on my triathlon day!

Isn't it interesting when you're in a buzzy mood - the radio station plays the most appropriate music too!?
2011-02-28 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3373708

User image

Expert
You are right, when you have a quirk like that you notice things that you wouldn't normally notice.  for instance:  I HATE cheesecake.  Most of my friends think I'm nuts, but I know quite a few other people that hat it too, we just seem to band together

Unfortunately, my gym doesn't have a pool, so I have to pay $2.25 per swim to go to the pool.  meh.

deweyz - 2011-02-26 4:46 PM Easy for you, not for everybody. 
Treadmills make me dizzy.  I've tried a dozen times.  Even walking on them, the second I get off I walk straight into a wall.  I've talked to others before with the same problem, it's not as uncommon as one would think...some people just can't use treadmills.
Besides...my gym has a line waiting for treadmills...2 PM on Saturday, 9 PM on Wednesday, just all the time they're full.  But it's the only option gym-wise in the area, otherwise I'd have to give up the pool.  Given the option...I'll take the pool, and let the run wait a few more weeks...

2011-03-04 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3364202

deweyz - 2011-02-20 5:20 PM Had a mini-indoor-practice tri today at one of the local gyms.  I only saw it and signed up earlier this week so I didn't really "plan it" but figured it would be a good time to practice my swim training for real.  Honestly, the swim didn't go so well, the bike went better than I expected (I've never ridden a spinning bike with a computer) and the run went ok for it being my 1st of the year, so I was happy.

So, I've found some races to enter. This weekend, the Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run in Syracuse, NY. it's only 4 miles but is supposed to be really good fun, then in July thinking about doing the Boilermaker in Utica, NY, which is 15kms and has thousands of entrants - looks great but could be a logistical challenge getting there so early. Finding these (and still looking for some more) has definitely given me something to think about other than the tri and given my running workouts more purpose.

I do have one silly question to ask though - how do you warm up for a tri? Are there generally swimming areas to warm up in? Two silly questions, in fact - how soon can you find out if wetsuits are the go and if you have to hire one, how can you practice getting out of it? Just thought I'd ask........

2011-03-06 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3382951

User image

Expert
STate - 2011-03-04 2:43 PM

So, I've found some races to enter. This weekend, the Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run in Syracuse, NY. it's only 4 miles but is supposed to be really good fun, then in July thinking about doing the Boilermaker in Utica, NY, which is 15kms and has thousands of entrants - looks great but could be a logistical challenge getting there so early. Finding these (and still looking for some more) has definitely given me something to think about other than the tri and given my running workouts more purpose.

I do have one silly question to ask though - how do you warm up for a tri? Are there generally swimming areas to warm up in? Two silly questions, in fact - how soon can you find out if wetsuits are the go and if you have to hire one, how can you practice getting out of it? Just thought I'd ask........

Cool   I've heard a lot about the boilermaker.  It is supposed to be a good race.  As for practicing in a wetsuit, would it be possible renting one a few weeks before your race to practice in?  that would be ideal.  If not, you can practice getting out of it when it is dry as well, it will be pretty much the same amount of difficulty wet or dry.

Usually during the week of the race the race officials will be monitoring the water temperature.  They will post on their website with the water temp (if they have one), if not, you would be able to contact the race director and he would be able to help you.  Is the race in upstate new york as well?  I'm in Ontario and I have never heard of a race in Ontario that was not wetsuit legal.  If you are in upstate new york, it will likely be the same for you unless you are racing in a shallow surface water fet lake.

As for how I warm up, I usually struggle into my wetsuit (which usually gets me into zone 1 ).  And then swim a few hundred metres.  If it is a small race, there won't be too many waves.  People usually warm-up before the first wave goes off.  Some people will get to the race early and ride their bike or do a jog to warm-up instead.  I'd rather warm-up for the swim.

2011-03-13 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3384724

User image

...I'm in Ontario and I have never heard of a race in Ontario that was not wetsuit legal.  If you are in upstate new york, it will likely be the same for you unless you are racing in a shallow surface water fet lake.

I will add that I race south of you in Ohio, PA, and WV -- and excluding the obvious, indoor swims, I cannot recall a race that was not wetsuit legal.  On smaller lakes, in August, you start to get close sometimes so I'm sure it does cross the line, but in a dozen races I've never seen it. 

Good luck on the wetsuit practice, I struggle with that one sometimes still...if you get any good tips feel free to share!

In other news, I did an indoor triathlon this weekend.  Came early to warm up & change and they were showing me their bikes -- they've got a screen on them that will simulate a bike course, complete with hills, steering and shifting (you can't crash of course) and I though that was pretty neat and then they asked me if I would like to "chase dragons".  Well, apparently these little computers have a game where you chase dragons on the bike to get points and their "pretty cool" bikes went straight to "totally awesome".   Unfortunately, we did not get to chase dragon in the race...but it was still a nice setup.

Gyms with indoor tri's in the winter are pretty smart -- if I had lived within 20 miles of that gym I would've signed up for a membership.  Lacking that I'll settle for a swim pace 20-30 seconds / 100 yds faster than anything I did in a race last year.  It's not "huge" but it's noticable improvement especially as I didn't think I swam well.  Swimming has been one the main things I've been working on this winter, though I still have some work to do, it's nice to actually see a measured improvement.

2011-03-18 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3396108

User image

Expert
deweyz - 2011-03-13 9:45 PM

[ Lacking that I'll settle for a swim pace 20-30 seconds / 100 yds faster than anything I did in a race last year.  It's not "huge" but it's noticable improvement especially as I didn't think I swam well.  Swimming has been one the main things I've been working on this winter, though I still have some work to do, it's nice to actually see a measured improvement.

20-30 seconds per 100 yards is a HUGE improvement.  you should be very proud of that

2011-04-03 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3403107

User image

20-30 seconds per 100 yards is a HUGE improvement.  you should be very proud of that

Thanks!  I know that my swimming will still put me in the back 1/3 of the pack -- but you're right, that's still a huge improvement on last years' placing of one of the last 3 females out of the water.  Keep it in prspective, right?

My winter break from running actually went surprisingly well too.  As I kept up other exercise, the endurance part of running isn't hurting me at all, but due to a hiking injury I started pretty slow on the running distance-wise, but with the shorter distances I could, of course, go faster.  My 1st 5k workout and race this year were each 1 1/2 - 2 min faster than my "normal time" last year -- and even tying that one race with the 3/4 mi hill that you go down but don't come up Wink

Hopefully working my way towards a new Personal Best.  About time to get the bike on an outdoors workout.  Laughing

How's everyone else's training going?

2011-04-03 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3427742

I just had a week's break from all training - I had a bit of a sore IT band so just swam for a week then we took off to the sun for a few days so I took full advantage and did nothing! Everything feels much better now so it's back in the pool and on the bike at the gym tomorrow morning.

I'm taking my bike to the shop next weekend for some new bits and pieces so hopefully will be out on the road soon. No more excuses - the snow has all gone, finally.

How's everyone else going?

2011-04-10 5:05 PM

User image

Expert

My training is coming along well like others.  I am getting ready for my first race of the year which will be a half marathon in 5 weeks.  Winter is finally gone from southern Ontario and I did my first run on the trail by the lake since before my ironman.  It felt really good to get back down there. I love running by the lake  

Swimming is coming along well, hopefully I can match my half IM swim time from last year with swimming one less day a week.  My bike is also coming along well.  next weekend I'll be getting it outside for the first time of the year.  I got a new bike in December so despite putting in some long winter hours on the trainer, I haven't actually got it out on the road yet!

I hope everyone's trainning is going well!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Daffodil's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 4