Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-01-17 4:56 PM
in reply to: #1151684

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Pilgrim's Group - Open
Hey Jeanette, sure you are welcome! I've been thinking of closing the group by the end of the day Friday and we are not there yet. You probably know this but for everyone else the Accenture triathlon is the largest triathlon in our sport with about 6,500 athletes doing the sprint or Olympic races, compare that to the typical 2100 or 2200 athletes at an Ironman. I have several friends who have done it though I have yet to make it out to Chi-Town for that event.

2008-01-17 8:13 PM

New user
MN
Hi, group!

Pilgrim -- your first tri story was priceless. I think that's part of the fun of beginning in something like a triathlon -- the battle stories you have afterwards! I actually *lost* my bike during the second transition (there were so many people in that race, and since I was the last person getting out of the water in my heat, all of the bikes on our designated rack were already there, so I had moved mine.. and I couldn't remember where!!) and had to ask a race official for help finding it! Awwww.. so prepared I was!

It is good to see there are both more experienced *and* new people here -- this is shaping up to be a great group of people! I can certainly give some advice on what *not* to do!

Seriously though, as for swimming -- I think it is *very* important to practice in openwater. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I was not very smart and did not experience it until race day.. and booooy.. what an experience it was. The people, the water, the knowledge that I couldn't just put my feet down suddenly freaked me out and I nearly had a panic attack in the middle of the lake. The *good* news is, however, that most events are so well run, there are lifeguards and buoys everywhere. I took *many* rests on the buoys -- I believe almost all events will let you rest on them as long as you're not moving forward. If you know that going in, that calms you a bit. So... I got to rest, and even though I had to swim almost the entire race on my back doing the flutter kick... I made it out alive!

As for the race I'm planning on doing the Lifetime Fitness Tri in mid-July http://www.ltftriathlon.com/.

I am heading back to the gym tomorrow for the first time in months, so wish me luck, friends! I think I will start out slow and try to do a 3 mile walk/jog. There, I said it... so now I must go!

Happy training all!
Kris
2008-01-17 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1162418

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Thank you very much! I'm lucky to be surrounded by so much experience and was relieved to read your comment about doing what's comfortable. I'll definitely try dragging my fingertips. Admittedly, I had to think about that one for a moment. My first reaction was, "Oh, my trailing arm is supposed to be at my side?" :-)

Thanks again! Everything helps.

Mark E.
2008-01-17 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1162574

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Yes, I must be somewhat of a flat swimmer. I'll try to stick to the basics for now. Tonight I swam an 800 (if that's the right terminology to say I swam 16 laps in a 25 meter pool). The hardest part was getting started. My heart felt like it was going to pop out of my chest. After a few laps, I was able to get into a groove. From what I've read, race day is much like that; only you can't see, people kick you in the head, and it's easy to get off course.

I have many, many more questions, but I'll spread them out.

Thank you for the detailed response. I think reaching out as far as I can and rolling from the hip will help my efficiency tremendously.

Haha! 25 meters of slow drowning. I resemble that remark!

Mark E.
2008-01-17 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1162574

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Oops, this was an accidental post. Thought I was on the wrong thread.

Brian, feel free to delete this if you are so empowered.

Mark E.

Edited by meclavea 2008-01-17 8:58 PM
2008-01-17 9:05 PM
in reply to: #1162946

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
KrisMarie,

I'll definitely try to practice in openwater. I imagine we have no shortage of "swimmin holes" here in Georgia. Do most people just go to the closest state park? Do these public places have distances marked off year round?

I'm afraid to ask how cold the water is there in Minnesota. Thanks for the swimming advice!

Mark E.

2008-01-17 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1161569

Regular
Tomball, TX

Edited by juls2bfit 2008-01-17 9:29 PM
2008-01-17 10:04 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Great info here folks. Thanks.

As for swimming, for me it takes practice, practice, practice. If I get in the pool a minimum of 2x a week (3 is better) I'm doing myself a favor. Swimming is the one sport where I need to feel 'comfortable' in my environment. Running and biking don't have that element of unknown like swimming does for me - so more time in the H2O, the more comfy I feel. Lessons helped my confidence too!

One thing I'd like to bring up about swimming is drills and laps.

I struggle with what to do in the water at times. I do ladders which helps me keep count of laps better. (ladders are 100 yard, 200, 300, 400, etc.. and then back down 300,200, 100 and I change what I am doing each set - 100 free, 200 pull bouy, 300 catch up (swimming freestyle but will delay pulling arm down and back til the other arm has swung around over the water to meet the first arm up in front of me) and am looking for other things to do. Some swim team folks around me do lots of speed stuff watching the clock but I'm not near as fast. Ideas?

2008-01-17 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Swimming is trickey because it is really all about technique and if you practice drills without being taught how to properly execute the drills then you are just ingraining bad habbits. Some things are easily described and practiced but other things like the proper way to do a one-arm drill, are not.

Here are a couple video clips of Ian Thorpe, Austrailian Olympic gold medalist. You can watch his technique and try to get a sense of how you should look...well, except for his uber powerful dolphin kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub-_LlqR23g
2008-01-18 10:18 AM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
Good morning group!

Juls just wanted to let you know I will not be riding with the woodlands group on saturday (or next saturday) I will be riding a 20ish mile loop EARLY on saturday morning... W Rayford to Gosling, Gosling to Woodlands Parkway, Woodlands parkway to 2978, 2978 to huffsmith, huffsmith to kuykendahl to home... if you are interested in joining me sometime just let me know...

I had a good run this morning... shaved more time off of my 1.8 mile loop... walk to warmup then 90 sec jog to 60 sec walk... 25 minutes total... going to try and do the loop twice this weekend (sunday) on the advice of my mentor , but the pace will be more like 60 jog to 90 walk... I hope everyone's training is going well!

HAPPY FRIDAY!
2008-01-18 12:14 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Brian,

I enjoyed reading through your posts and those of your group.
Can I add one more person to your group?

2008-01-18 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Hey Matt, Semper Fi! I'm guessing you have some affiliation with the Marine Corps. I was active duty Marine Corps from 1985 through 1992, Light Armored Recon, 3rd Marine Division then 1st Marine Division. I also played Rugby for the Marine Corps from 1987 to 1990.

Anyway, sure you are welcome.

I know a few of you are incorporating strength training into your weekly workouts, which is good, so I wanted to say a few things about strength training for triathlon.

The most effective type of strength training for triathlon is training that makes use of the coordinated effort of large muscle groups and large numbers of muscles so something like a total body conditioning class where they basically do aerobics with some kind of weight, dumbbells, barbells, medicine balls etc…is a great way to get in strength training because it is using that coordinated effort. Also exercises like squats using free weights is better than using a sled, which is better than just doing isolated leg curls or extensions.

Core strengthening, strengthening the muscles throughout your torso, is also important because that is basically your power transfer station. Since your upper body is connected to your lower body any forces that are exerted on top or down below are transferred through the core. For example, when you are climbing on your bike you are leveraging a bit with your arms and torso as you get up out of the saddle. A strong core will transfer the power from the upper body to the lower body more efficiently resulting in greater overall force applied to the pedals. You can think of it the same way as your cycling shoes work. A very stiff sole on a cycling shoe transfers far more power to the pedal. It you were to wear some bedroom slippers on the bike much of your energy would be absorbed by the flexing of the slipper and the power transfer to the pedal would be greatly diminished. So you should be going for a nice carbon fiber core as opposed to a comfy bedroom slipper core. Don't worry, I do not have a carbon fiber core as yet, maybe more of a sturdy work boot…strong enough but a bit bulky.

Obviously, leg strengthening and core strengthening should be your priority though I will be honest if you can develop some big guns (arms) your finisher's pictures will look smashing!

According to what I have read strength training throughout the year is most important for master's athletes, people over 40, because we do not hold our strength as well as younger athletes. Athletes who are younger can do fine with a good strength building routine during the off season and then lay off during the season spending more time focusing on sport specific training.

Ok, so you may ask, "I have a job, a family, a social life and now I am adding swimming, biking and running…how on earth am I going to add strength training as well?"

Easy, strength training does not have to be a separate session in the gym with weights it can be incorporated into your swim, bike and run workouts.

Run strength training – Your long, slow runs build leg strength as does running hills. If you do not have access to hills you can hopefully find a local high school stadium and run bleachers. Don't over do it on the hills or bleachers, maybe once or twice a week.

Bike strength training – Ride up hills that make you pedal slowly and try to stay seated. During normal riding your cadence, how quickly your legs are moving, should be high, in the range of 80 to 95 rpm. In strength training on the bike your cadence should be more in the range of 55 to 65, much lower than that and you are asking for knee problems. If you live in the flat lands you can strength train by shifting into your lowest gear and stand up out of the saddle.

Swim strength training – purchase a pair of hand paddles. There are several brands, I happen to use Tyr. I find that using the paddles is about the same as doubling my distance so be careful not to go overboard and harm your shoulders. Be sure to warm up your shoulders first then you can strap on the paddles. Also, don't try to do speed work in paddles.

Keep the questions coming and by all means keep sharing your experiences, successes and even set-backs…we're all in this together!
2008-01-18 1:42 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Thanks Brian - ain't youtube a great invention?! (If only I had thought of it )  If I have some time to kill, I enjoy plugging in words to search out videos. "Swim turns", etc.. and my son, all of 4 years old, enjoys seeing the triathlon races. And is in awe of the big ponds folks swim across! LOL. Actually, last summer he did his very first kid tri. He was a bit freaked by the water so I had to carry him most of the way and then didn't like having grass and dirt all over his feet in the transition area...and then on the bike - he enjoyed doing loops AROUND the street cones that were markers for where to go. And although he was a speed demon on the run, he came in last in his AG. BUT, all kiddos got a medal and he enjoyed the clapping crowds.

And yeah, I hear ya on the over 40 bit with muscle decline. I can not believe how sore I can feel after weights/core work if I had slacked off for 10-14 days. And for any women on our team, weight bearing exercise is so important to maintaining bone density as we age too.

2008-01-18 10:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
I hope everyone has a great training weekend, good weather and all. I'm off to run the Ghost Town 38.5 so will probably be out of touch until Monday...well, I will probably pop in tomorrow morning.

Anyway, enjoy your long rides and runs, I know I will!
2008-01-19 3:29 PM

Subject: RE: Pilgrim's Group - Full
Is anyone else in the group following the Couch To Sprint Distance Training Log?

My question is let's say Monday is : Swim 400yd and Run 15 min do I need to do this back to back or just complete both task at different times of the day.

I appreciate your help......

Darren
2008-01-19 9:16 PM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
the way I understand it is unless it is a "brick" workout, you dont do the items back to back... swim to run would be pretty useless "back-to-back" in my estimation anyway... I say get both done at your leisure that day...

hope this helps!

2008-01-20 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1166016

Josh,

Thanks! I thought that might be the case, but I just wanted to make sure I was training properly.

Darren
2008-01-20 2:33 PM

Veteran
Hi Everyone!!!

Yes the accenture triathalon is the biggest one in the world. The tri is in the guiness book of world records for the olympic distance for the number of finishers in this distance. Last year they broke the record again!!!! I did the sprint distance last year and now for this year I hope to be a footnote in the next guiness book of records.

PILGRAM AND EVERYONE: I INVITE YOU TO CHICAGO FOR THE ACCENTURE TRIATHALON
LETS BREAK A RECORD!!!!!!

The time of your tri dosn't matter, it's if you finish!!!! Perfect !!!!!!!!!

I place at the top for swimming, keep up on the bike and then everyone passes me on the run.
I am working on running/Walking.

To Start 2008 I did the Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon in Arizona with my sister. She is the basketball player and loves to run. I tried talking her into trying a tri and she is trying to talk me into trying a full. I guess when I can do a full she will try a tri. It will be awhile but in 3 or4 years she will do a tri! LOL

After the 1/2 marathon I had a lot of blisters. On the plane there were quite a few people who did the Rock and Roll Run and a lady suggested that I try wet suit roll-on on my feet before my next race to prevent the blisters. Have you heard of this before and does it work????????

There was a rock band every mile and it was soo great!!!!!! There were also cheer leading teams cheering us on! That evening there was a free concert for the participants.
I had Soooooo much fun that my feet didnt hurt untill the next day.

Untill latter keep rock-in and run-nin!!!!!!!
2008-01-20 3:20 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

this stuff is awesome!

2008-01-20 3:22 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

this stuff is awesome!

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/anti_chafecreams.htm

Body Glide...for all your chafing and blister zones.

2008-01-20 3:40 PM

Veteran
Hi,
I am nervous about buying online. What store carries the anti-chaffing and anti blister one?
Thank You Sooo Much!!!!!
I am going to try this after my feet heal and before my next long run.

2008-01-20 3:58 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Bt's got a sponsor - trisports.com that carries it. I'll bet though you can find it in any local sports store and probably Walmart or other big retailers too. I keep one in my gym bag and one at home. Use it for chafing from sports bras (but since buying seamless ones it has not been an issue), use for swimming sometimes if wearing one suit that seems to dig in around my armpit areas, or on toes for tender areas on my toes. I even put it on my face/lips if running outside in the cold when I know my scarf or coat may rub on my cheeks. Great stuff!
2008-01-20 4:26 PM

Veteran
I just filled out the race report. It is very Cold here in Chicago. A great day to be on a computer. WOW I miss Arizona tempatures now I know why there are people who are snowbirds!!!

I have one of my long term goals completed and it is such a wonderful feeling!!!!!!!!!
I am sore and very happy! hindsight is 20/20 but next time I will know to put this stuff on my feet before a long run. Thank You!

2008-01-20 4:40 PM

Veteran
Pilgram-
I have a Usat question for you.
When I did my first tri I was told no earphones on the course, even just for the run or I would get disqualified.
On the half marathon they were allowed. Why is this. I am very motivated by the tempo of the music and it gets my mind off of the run and to the music which makes the run easier for me.

I use it in training and with one earbud I can hear everyone around me. Is there a way to change this usat rule for the run portion of a tri? I am very curious in how this process works.
most people use music while they are running. I see it on the lake front, in the gyms, and on the half marathon course. I can understand not having it swimming or biking but not on the run.

Thank you
2008-01-20 7:19 PM

User image

Regular
Melbourne
Subject: Pacing swims
Hallo all,

well I tried something new in the pool on Saturday...and can't exactly say it worked out- as per the programme I am following I was supposed to do 10 x 100m with each one a little faster than the last (I think improving around 2 secs each time). Well I did my first, on my second i was 5" faster- took another 10" off in the 3rd (still a very slow 2 minutes- but for me that's fast) and then struggled to even match that pace for the next 7. I'm not sure how important this skill is- but I can see its going to take me a while to master it! Any thoughts / experience with this appreciated.
My dear hubby came with me Saturday- first time he's done laps in 10 years - he managed a k and it was so much more fun to go together!
Happy training everyone!

Maree
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pilgrim's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 14