2008-04-29 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1368783

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: tcovert's Group - CLOSED
Slahmmer - 2008-04-29 6:39 AM

Good morning everyone....

Like everyone else in this group I just started swimming as well. I could stay afloat in water but had not done any lap swimming until the end of November this past fall so it's only been 6 months or so. I started with swimming 1 lap freestyle, 1 lap breast stroke, 1 lap freestyle, 1 lap breast stroke. After that got easier I started doing 100s with breaks in between.

Good luck!

Todd - another question.....do you have a full sleeve or sleeveless wetsuit? maybe you are not the one to ask since you're in CA and I'm in chilly minnesota.... but I went and tried on wetsuits this weekend, there is a nice sleeveless for $200 but to get a good full sleeve suit it will be $400. I'm having trouble justifying that since that is more than half the price of my bike!!!! The guy at the store was really pushing for the full sleeve however.

Well, for my first two sprint tris last fall, I wore a Body Glove 3/4 surfer's wetsuit, and survived fine. (Got it on sale for a whopping $45, actually.)

Just got my first tri-specific wetsuit at the end of March. It's an Xterra Vortex 2 fullsuit. (I'd actually ordered one of their discontinued models online through their outlet store, but they were out of stock on my size, so I got a massive free upgrade to the 2008 Vortex.) I've always thought I'd order a sleeveless suit, but given the price I found and all the recommendations to go full sleeve, I swallowed hard and paid for the fullsuit.

I was assured I was a medium...but when I tried out the suit, it was clearly too short in the sleeves and legs, making it pull down on my shoulders. I returned it for a medium-long and that was the ticket.

I've done two practices in the ocean (700 yds, then 1400 yds) and one 1320 yd lake swim in my tri 9 days ago. I definitely understand the rationale for the sleeves and the benefit of the suit becomes more apparent with longer swims. As far as sleeves and temps: It was 57 degrees in the ocean on our second practice and I definitely was happy for the sleeves.

If I was only doing sprints with distances under 1/2 mile, I'd probably be happy with the surfer's suit I was using last year. There's a lot of chatter about how inadequate those are, but, frankly, if money is an object, they _do_ provide both warmth and some buoyancy.

Look around for deals on suits. I ended up paying $177 including sales tax (Xterra is here in CA, so tax applied) and then spent $42 on next day shipping to get the suit back to them quickly so I'd have the replacement in time for a practice before my race. My wife got an Xterra fullsuit at the same time for about $219 including tax.

Consider renting for a race if that's a possibility so you see how you like the sleeves.

2008-04-29 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1369007

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
landon5108 - 2008-04-29 7:39 AM

While yall are talking about equipment i thought i would jump in here and ask a question.  I figured i would wait till my race got closer to ask, but i need to know what to save for. 

What all do i need for my first TRI?

I have good pair Running Shoes and running equip like shorts and a top, Im getting a bike, and i have goggles.  Do I need a wetsuit, i mean i guess it would be best because dont people just waer there riding stuff underneth that?  And i guess i need some riding clothes right? And do i just run in my ridding clothes after i jump of the bike or do i change. 

Sorry soo many questions guys im just clueless.  Have a great day

Questions are the number one reason this mentoring thing exists.

I see your first tri has a 300m lake swim. That's the sort of distance where you could definitely skip the wetsuit if you wanted to. Now you've got an Olympic distance race after that, so if you're going wetsuit there, you may want to wear the wetsuit for the sprint even if it's just for practice.

Best investment you can make is in a pair of tri shorts. Zoot (among others) makes a very good inexpensive model. When I was doing "dress rehearsals" for my first tri, I was wearing jammers under my wetsuit, then pulling on a pair of bike shorts over them in T1 and then a fairly loose fitting sleeveless bike jersey...that is absolutely an option is you don't want to buy the tri shorts right away. My wife used to wear her bike jersey and bike shorts under her wetsuit (she has tri shorts and tri top now). You'll dry out quickly on the bike. Some people will pull on a pair of running shorts in T2, but that's not that common.

Anyhow, I bought a pair of tri shorts a couple days before my first tri...had a chance to do one running workout with them...and I love them.

So...

For swim:
--Wetsuit, if using.
--Either jammers or tri shorts (or one piece trisuit, if you want to go that route, but I'm not a fan of them). These go either under the wetsuit or you swim in them if no wetsuit. You can also wear bike shorts (and/or snug jersey) under a wetsuit, but I wouldn't swim in them without a wetsuit.
--Goggles
--Swim cap (will normally be provided by the race...but bring one just in case)

For bike:
--Trishorts or bike shorts from under wetsuit (or pull on some bike shorts over jammers if you just wore those)
--Jersey or tri top (USAT-sanctioned races technically allow men topless, Ironman series events don't, by the way)...you can wear a tech t-shirt if you want, but it won't have the rear pockets that people find useful in bike jerseys.
--Bike shoes...though you could certainly ride in running shoes if you choose to (eventually, though, bike shoes are a must)
--Helmet...a must...you won't be allowed on the bike without it. Avoid mountain bike helmets...even a really cheap Schwinn helmet from Target is more aerodynamic than MTB helmets.
--Cycling gloves, if you want them. Some people choose not to wear them. Sucks to scrape up your hands in a crash and not be able to continue the ride because of that...but gloves are optional.
--Many (if not most) people wear sunglasses...good protection from insects and flying debris, if nothing else.
--Race number belt...there are numerous brands. You attach your bib number to it and can snap it around your waist...put it in back for the bike, front for the run.
--You'll probably want a water bottle and bottle cage. You may want to have a saddle bag for spare tube and other flat repair stuff (although some people keep those in their jersey pockets)

For run:
--Running shoes
--Most people wear socks (though there seems to be a trend away from that). Don't attempt to race without socks if you haven't trained without them enough to be _sure_ that you won't get blisters.
--Tri shorts or run in bike shorts (or throw on a pair of running shorts if you want the pockets or whatever).

That's pretty much it.

If wearing a wetsuit:
1. Start to strip it down to your waist as you exit the swim. Take off goggles and cap.
2. At your bike, pull off the wetsuit. If you are wearing socks on the bike (or you're concerned about chafing in your shoes), rinse off your feet and quick dry.
3. Shoes and socks on
4. If adding jersey and/or bike shorts, pull those on (if either is particularly snug, you might need a quick towel-off first...you can see how the time starts to pile up here)
5. Race number belt on
6. Helmet (and gloves and sunglasses, if wearing) on

Off the bike:
1. Rack your bike (you can hang it on the bar by either the brake levers or the nose of the seat). It is a major faux pas, by the way...and not allowed in many, if not most, races--to lean your bike against the end of a rack...your bike should be hanging on the rack.
2. Helmet (and gloves) off
3. Shoes off (this is all assuming you aren't doing the "elite" trick of clipping bike shoes to the pedals before the race and slipping your feet into/out of them during the ride...and this is assuming you aren't wearing running shoes on the bike)
4. If you happen to be adding running shorts here (not something I recommend, but something some people do), put them on
5. Running shoes (and socks, if you don't wear them on the bike) on.
6. Hat or visor if you wear one on.

That's pretty much all the main options for race wear/gear and how it typically goes on and off.

Edited by tcovert 2008-04-29 12:49 PM
2008-04-29 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1358169

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Well, the tri bug has clearly bitten hard: Last night I bought a second road bike solely for training and racing (the first one was starting to hold me back and will now be the commuter bike). I really hate to spend hundreds of dollars on anything, but the local bike store (that's "LBS" in cycling-ese) we frequent had a triathlete night sale event last night with 20% off of everything betw. 7pm-10pm and no sales tax (which is 8.25% here in LA) if you paid by cash or check. So I got myself a Scott Speedster S40 which they were selling for $875 (which would have been $947 with tax) for an even $700 out the door. Better component setup, lighter frame, slightly better wheels (and narrower tires, which is good) than my current ride.
2008-04-29 2:08 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
yay new bikes! post a picture!

2008-04-29 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1369971

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Slahmmer - 2008-04-29 12:08 PM

yay new bikes! post a picture!

Hmm...for now...how about links...

The new bike (mine's blue/black and has a triple crankset rather than the double listed in these specs):
http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/70/790/speedster_s40

For comparison, my old bike (this is the 2008...I have a 2006 in black):
http://www.k2bikes.com/index.php?brand=K2&series=Road&type=Road%20R...

Edit to add: One spec the K2 website didn't provide: the Mach 1.0 weighs in at 23.5 lbs...a full 3 lbs. (15%) heavier than my new bike.

Edited by tcovert 2008-04-29 3:07 PM
2008-04-29 3:28 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Cool. I love new toys. I am somewhat of your mindset though in that I try not to over-spend on things such as bikes. I am riding a trek 1000 right now. I got it 2 years ago and I bought an old model in the fall so I got it for only $600. For my first olympic here in a few weeks I'll just be riding the trek. This summer I might get a set of aero bars and start practicing with those. Maybe down the line I'll upgrade to a nicer road bike or maybe even a tri bike....we'll see!

2008-04-29 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1370298

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Slahmmer - 2008-04-29 1:28 PM

Cool. I love new toys. I am somewhat of your mindset though in that I try not to over-spend on things such as bikes. I am riding a trek 1000 right now. I got it 2 years ago and I bought an old model in the fall so I got it for only $600. For my first olympic here in a few weeks I'll just be riding the trek. This summer I might get a set of aero bars and start practicing with those. Maybe down the line I'll upgrade to a nicer road bike or maybe even a tri bike....we'll see!

Hey, the Trek 1000 is a great bike for the price...very popular ride! It's a lot better than what I've been riding (my K2, which I got on clearance at REI for like $469).

For anyone just starting out, if it has wheels, brakes, and pedals and you've got a helmet, you can ride it in a tri. My wife did her first two sprint tri's on a $300 Trek hybrid and there were a ton of other hybrids and mountain bikes in those races.

Definitely better for folks not to invest in a bike upgrade until they are sure they like the sport...or unless they are already into cycling as a stand-alone activity.
2008-04-29 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1369755

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

tcovert - 2008-04-29 1:08 PM Well, the tri bug has clearly bitten hard: Last night I bought a second road bike solely for training and racing (the first one was starting to hold me back and will now be the commuter bike). I really hate to spend hundreds of dollars on anything, but the local bike store (that's "LBS" in cycling-ese) we frequent had a triathlete night sale event last night with 20% off of everything betw. 7pm-10pm and no sales tax (which is 8.25% here in LA) if you paid by cash or check. So I got myself a Scott Speedster S40 which they were selling for $875 (which would have been $947 with tax) for an even $700 out the door. Better component setup, lighter frame, slightly better wheels (and narrower tires, which is good) than my current ride.

Sweetness Todd, enjoy your new ride. Nice savings on it as well.  I've been resisting the urge to go out and pony up the bucks for a hotrod tri bike, myself . Figured i'd continue to use my road bike with tri bars for 1 more year to make sure i stuck to this tri thing   Man is it ever hard tho!

John

2008-04-29 7:19 PM
in reply to: #1368233

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Subject: RE: tcovert's Group - OPEN

Pegasus1731 - 2008-04-28 9:15 PM Hi John, NEMO is located in Kirksville, about an hour and a half north of Columbia. Its in early September. Here's the link to it http://www.nemotriathlon.org/[/QUOTE]

Ahh, thanks for the info Melissa. Unfortunately that coincides with the HIM i was planning http://www.mattoonbeachtri.com/GreatIllini/index.html) . Well i don't think id be up to it on the next day that is Was hoping to meet another BTer .    peace,

John

2008-04-29 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nice bike, jealous!
2008-04-29 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1370800

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
jcash683 - 2008-04-29 5:11 PM

tcovert - 2008-04-29 1:08 PM Well, the tri bug has clearly bitten hard: Last night I bought a second road bike solely for training and racing (the first one was starting to hold me back and will now be the commuter bike). I really hate to spend hundreds of dollars on anything, but the local bike store (that's "LBS" in cycling-ese) we frequent had a triathlete night sale event last night with 20% off of everything betw. 7pm-10pm and no sales tax (which is 8.25% here in LA) if you paid by cash or check. So I got myself a Scott Speedster S40 which they were selling for $875 (which would have been $947 with tax) for an even $700 out the door. Better component setup, lighter frame, slightly better wheels (and narrower tires, which is good) than my current ride.

Sweetness Todd, enjoy your new ride. Nice savings on it as well.  I've been resisting the urge to go out and pony up the bucks for a hotrod tri bike, myself . Figured i'd continue to use my road bike with tri bars for 1 more year to make sure i stuck to this tri thing   Man is it ever hard tho!

John

I'm planning to not buy a tri bike any time in the near future. Just way too much of a luxury for me. I have a lot of work to do on the "engine" as they say before I spend that sort of money on the "chassis". But it was clear in my last race that I'm now at a point where I can't adequately tell how much of my result on the bike is me and how much was the weight and other characteristics of the bike...so...gulp...$700 out the door. That's a lot of money for us.

2008-04-29 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1368783

User image

Ballantyne
Slahmmer - 2008-04-29 8:39 AM

Good morning everyone....

Like everyone else in this group I just started swimming as well. I could stay afloat in water but had not done any lap swimming until the end of November this past fall so it's only been 6 months or so. I started with swimming 1 lap freestyle, 1 lap breast stroke, 1 lap freestyle, 1 lap breast stroke. After that got easier I started doing 100s with breaks in between.

Good luck!

Todd - another question.....do you have a full sleeve or sleeveless wetsuit? maybe you are not the one to ask since you're in CA and I'm in chilly minnesota.... but I went and tried on wetsuits this weekend, there is a nice sleeveless for $200 but to get a good full sleeve suit it will be $400. I'm having trouble justifying that since that is more than half the price of my bike!!!! The guy at the store was really pushing for the full sleeve however.

I probably don't need a wetsuit, but just in case I'm going to try some on and then hit ebay. I've been checking and you can easily find one under $100 and probably under $50 if you look long enough. My problem is that I'm 6'0 and 200 lbs. and there doesn't seem to be an abundence of triathletes or anyone else selling their old wetsuits that size. I hope you have better luck.
2008-04-29 10:23 PM
in reply to: #1369007

User image

Ballantyne
landon5108 - 2008-04-29 9:39 AM

While yall are talking about equipment i thought i would jump in here and ask a question.  I figured i would wait till my race got closer to ask, but i need to know what to save for. 

What all do i need for my first TRI?

I have good pair Running Shoes and running equip like shorts and a top, Im getting a bike, and i have goggles.  Do I need a wetsuit, i mean i guess it would be best because dont people just waer there riding stuff underneth that?  And i guess i need some riding clothes right? And do i just run in my ridding clothes after i jump of the bike or do i change. 

Sorry soo many questions guys im just clueless.  Have a great day

If you hadn't asked it I would have. Next question, what are jammers?
2008-04-29 11:06 PM

User image

Arizona
Wow, I'm so totally the lazy kid here.... Haven't made my plan for the week yet since I've got a PT test next Tuesday and think I am dying of the flu (which is crap because I haven't been sick in like 6 years....). My big problem is just trying to find time between the baby and both my husband and I working. Mornings and an hour at lunch are usualy doable. But my general plan is:

Mon: am: strength training (I've got one of those bad- Total Gym deals), lunch time: run- LSD
Tue: am: indoor bike trainer (usually a 1 hr interval work out), lunch: swim - drills
Wed: am: strength training, lunch: run - intervals
Thurs: am: bike trainer, lunch: swim - distance
Fri: am: strength training, lunch: run - middle distance at moderate/fast pace
Sat: rest or long road bike
Sun: rest or mountain bike (depending on what the local mtn bike crowd is doing)

Though the baby is big enough for the jogging stroller so I've been debating changing it aroud to run in the morning (because otherwise it's the treadmill in the gym with my hubby which I hate...the treadmill I mean, not the hubby). And then figuring out the distances based on what races I decide and how I'm progressing. Also, still need to figure out the training log thing which I will do this week.

Todd - Sweet bike. I think there is such value in feeling like a hard-core athlete by looking like one. Like you totally want to go out and run when you have shorts that make your legs look skinny. Or maybe it's just me....

Matt - what are you branching and where are you posting, do you know? (PS - If the answer isn't Ft Campbell I'm probably going to make fun of you...but only for a little).

And a question for the group - is buying a used wetsuit a good investment? How long is the life span on a wetsuit?
2008-04-29 11:35 PM

User image

Texas

Thanks for all the info Todd, I went looking online today for some tri shorts and bike shorts. I figured i would just throw a pair of bike shorts on for the ride and then just take them off for the run. I still have not decided about the wet suit though. Since you said i will dry pretty fast i dont think i will use one for the first one. Plus i cant just go out and blow my money on good stuff before i even do my first tri lol. Even though i am about to on a bike. Yall are all talking about not spending money on a bike and waiting....it makes me feel bad buying a tri bike.  I deff. need a race belt for my number..i hear too many stories of people pinning them on a jersey before the race and  in a transition they go to put it on...it stretches and rips off.

I dont really know what jammers are either.  And i am trying to way my options on clip ons or just bike in my running shoes, what do yall think?

Courtney-  As of right now i have Field Artillery as my first choice then Engineer and then Armor.  My first duty station i put Fort Bragg, Fort Campbell, Hawaii, and then Fort Carson

2008-04-29 11:43 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS
CBW - Don't feel bad - I'm totally feeling like a slacker too.  I did the whole work happy hour/networking last night and didn't get home until 11 pm and now it's almost midnight and I'm just finishing up some work.  I'm going to carve out some time tomorrow to post the remaining of my workout plans and LOTS of questions that I have... but a huge thank you to all of you for posting your questions because a lot of them were the same as mine.  On my way to the gym for my swim tonight I stop at our LBS to look at apparel and try stuff on.  They had two choices in everything - XS or XL.  I asked the guy how often they restocked and he wanted to know what I was looking for - I told him anything he could find in M or L.  He looked and said, "oh yeah, guess we're a little picked over"... so I'm onto the internet tomorrow to find a new store or else buying online soon!  Only 6.5 weeks to go and I want to try the stuff out - I actually swam with a swim cap for the first time ever tonight... I'm such a newbie

2008-04-30 6:37 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Hey everyone I know its nice to support your local small business, however REI has an outlet website and the stuff is always cheap. I typically like the brands they carry and I know what size I am in the different brands so I can order from the outlet and if you ship it to one of their stores and pick it up yourself its free shipping. (Not sure if you have an REI near you though) They take all returns, no questions asked. Some "closeout" websites don't allow returns, or its hard to return things. For me depending on the brand I can range from an XS to a M....so being able to return is important. Later!
http://www.rei.com/outlet
2008-04-30 8:27 AM

User image

Arizona
Carmen - I bought a bunch of stuff off Team Estrogen.com. They sell women's specific stuff, and they have a lot of stuff cheap on closeout or on sale. Stuff arrives really quick, and it's easy to return if it doesn't fit. For my first race the other week, I bought a tri top and tri shorts, and -while I felt like a cling-wrapped whale - the outfit was really comfortable for all three events. Would have liked to have known about the race number belt thing though.... I ended up using a rachet strap from my Army ruck sack that was doing double-duty anyway as a safety strap on my bike rack. While it clashed with my legit triathelte ensamble, it worked.

So I've got clipless pedals for my road bike, but I found that they really slowed me down on my transitions. I think I definitely make up for it on the bike, but does anybody have any advice for practicing on/off bike transitions or any good drills to do getting in and out of the pedals. I have to stop moving, get on, clip in one foot, then start going. And to stop, I unclip early and come to a complete stop. I think I'm afraid of them after falling off the mountain bike so many times with the clipless... ( I mean, like seriously, SO MANY TIMES).

Matt - That's fair, I won't make fun of you. My husband is Field Artillery. He really likes it despite the fact that it is going to the way of the dodo. I guess the branch is going to absorb ADA and be the proponent for EW in an effort to keep relevant, but there just isn't a whole lot of lanyard pulling to be done in the war. I might be biased, but you should go to Ft Campbell because it is the greatest place on earth. Although Hawaii would probably be pretty awesome too....
2008-04-30 8:32 AM
in reply to: #1371280

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
landon5108 - 2008-04-29 11:35 PM

Thanks for all the info Todd, I went looking online today for some tri shorts and bike shorts. I figured i would just throw a pair of bike shorts on for the ride and then just take them off for the run. I still have not decided about the wet suit though. Since you said i will dry pretty fast i dont think i will use one for the first one. Plus i cant just go out and blow my money on good stuff before i even do my first tri lol. Even though i am about to on a bike. Yall are all talking about not spending money on a bike and waiting....it makes me feel bad buying a tri bike.  I deff. need a race belt for my number..i hear too many stories of people pinning them on a jersey before the race and  in a transition they go to put it on...it stretches and rips off.

I dont really know what jammers are either.  And i am trying to way my options on clip ons or just bike in my running shoes, what do yall think?

Courtney-  As of right now i have Field Artillery as my first choice then Engineer and then Armor.  My first duty station i put Fort Bragg, Fort Campbell, Hawaii, and then Fort Carson

The way i see it Matt, if your training your butt off and you feel like your a part of the scene, get the bike and enjoy it! 

As far as the clipless pedals/ running shoes thing, i would never ride without clipless personally. Once you get used to em, you'll never want to go back. Your pedal stroke improves and you generate more power with them (at least it seems that way to me). If you can swing the cash, its one of the first "upgrades" i would do to your bike. Todd can probably provide more insight to this, but it's MHO to get them when you start thinking  "what to get next with all this extra money i've saved"  

peace, John

2008-04-30 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1371655

User image

Overland Park, KS

Ok, better late than never.  Here's my goal for training this week.

Mon - n/a

Tues - Swim 600 m - done!

Wed - Bike 30 min, Run 30 min

Thurs - Interval runs at track; bike there and back (but the track is really close)

Fri - rest

Sat - Bike - aiming for 45 - 60 min

Sun - LSD, 6 miles

2008-04-30 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1371655

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
jcash683 - 2008-04-30 6:32 AM

The way i see it Matt, if your training your butt off and you feel like your a part of the scene, get the bike and enjoy it! 

As far as the clipless pedals/ running shoes thing, i would never ride without clipless personally. Once you get used to em, you'll never want to go back. Your pedal stroke improves and you generate more power with them (at least it seems that way to me). If you can swing the cash, its one of the first "upgrades" i would do to your bike. Todd can probably provide more insight to this, but it's MHO to get them when you start thinking  "what to get next with all this extra money i've saved"  

peace, John

Let's see...

First off: "jammers". They're the long Speedo-type Lycra swimsuit (for guys). They've pretty much replaced the traditional Speedo brief swimsuit.

I went for 18 mos. without clipless pedals. I did have toe clips on my bike, though. I also rode for several months in running shoes (a pair with a really stiff sole, I should add). Because I was using the same bike for racing and commuting, I was pretty reluctant to commit to clipless pedals, but reached a point where I knew I needed the upgrade. I'd recommend at least getting some pedals with toe clips (some people call them "toe straps" or "toe cages")...and get a decent alloy set, not a plastic one (my K2 bike came with a set of plastic ones and they just didn't hold up to training). If you go the clipless route, the Shimano SPD M520 pedals are pretty inexpensive ($50 or less), easy to use, and very popular.

With race number belts, there are basically two kinds: One has a pair of snap buttons (you have to "sandwich" the bib number betw. the button and the backing it snaps into), the other has two elastic cords that hang from it (and get threaded through the holes on the race number) and spring-loaded barrel clips that slide on and hold the number in place. I like the second style better--more secure.

Hope that all helps...

2008-04-30 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1371249

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
CBW - 2008-04-29 9:06 PM

Wow, I'm so totally the lazy kid here.... Haven't made my plan for the week yet since I've got a PT test next Tuesday and think I am dying of the flu (which is crap because I haven't been sick in like 6 years....). My big problem is just trying to find time between the baby and both my husband and I working. Mornings and an hour at lunch are usualy doable. But my general plan is:

Mon: am: strength training (I've got one of those bad- Total Gym deals), lunch time: run- LSD
Tue: am: indoor bike trainer (usually a 1 hr interval work out), lunch: swim - drills
Wed: am: strength training, lunch: run - intervals
Thurs: am: bike trainer, lunch: swim - distance
Fri: am: strength training, lunch: run - middle distance at moderate/fast pace
Sat: rest or long road bike
Sun: rest or mountain bike (depending on what the local mtn bike crowd is doing)

Though the baby is big enough for the jogging stroller so I've been debating changing it aroud to run in the morning (because otherwise it's the treadmill in the gym with my hubby which I hate...the treadmill I mean, not the hubby). And then figuring out the distances based on what races I decide and how I'm progressing. Also, still need to figure out the training log thing which I will do this week.

Todd - Sweet bike. I think there is such value in feeling like a hard-core athlete by looking like one. Like you totally want to go out and run when you have shorts that make your legs look skinny. Or maybe it's just me....

Matt - what are you branching and where are you posting, do you know? (PS - If the answer isn't Ft Campbell I'm probably going to make fun of you...but only for a little).

And a question for the group - is buying a used wetsuit a good investment? How long is the life span on a wetsuit?

Good question on the used wetsuit--don't have a good answer, but I know people do buy them used sometimes. Getting the right fit is critical, though...you most likely won't have the opportunity to do a size exchange on a used wetsuit, so trying in on first is essential. As far as longevity goes, I can't say from personal experience, but I've seen 5+ years mentioned on the Web.

Schedule this week looks great, by the way...hope you get over the illness fast!
2008-04-30 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1371420

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Slahmmer - 2008-04-30 4:37 AM

Hey everyone I know its nice to support your local small business, however REI has an outlet website and the stuff is always cheap. I typically like the brands they carry and I know what size I am in the different brands so I can order from the outlet and if you ship it to one of their stores and pick it up yourself its free shipping. (Not sure if you have an REI near you though) They take all returns, no questions asked. Some "closeout" websites don't allow returns, or its hard to return things. For me depending on the brand I can range from an XS to a M....so being able to return is important. Later!
http://www.rei.com/outlet

My wife and I virtually live at REI...well, I should say "very nearly live at REI", since we go to one of their real outlets, not the "virtual" one...

On that subject: REI's in-house bike brand, Novara, is a good option for the price. Their entry level road bike--Divano for men, Carema for women--has excellent components for the price. They've slightly downgraded a couple components (notably the wheels) for 2008, but they're still a good bet. My wife bought her road bike there...it was a 2007 clearance model Carema and she got it for under $650.00 (originally $799.00, I believe). I'd have bought a 2007 Divano, but they didn't have any '07s left when I started to get serious about getting a new bike.
2008-04-30 12:56 PM
in reply to: #1371633

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
CBW - 2008-04-30 6:27 AM

I have to stop moving, get on, clip in one foot, then start going. And to stop, I unclip early and come to a complete stop.

That's pretty much the drill...you'll get more confident/faster with repetition.

I've mentioned the trick of clipping your shoes onto the pedals before the race in passing, so there is that option, but it's not something I'm planning to try in the near future. I feel awkward enough reaching down for my water bottle...the idea of reaching down to fasten both shoes while riding scares the snot out of me....

Edit to add: Did I mention I fell and broke my wrist in the bike dismount at my second tri...? (And that was with toe clips, not even clipless pedals...)

Edited by tcovert 2008-04-30 12:57 PM
2008-04-30 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1371280

User image

Ballantyne

I would spend the extra for the clipless. I just feel like I get much more out of them than just shoes alone. Being the cheap person that I am I got mine second hand for $30 for my mountain bike 5 years ago and have moved them to my road bike and some used ones that the bike shop didn't want for $10. I like them both.
The thing to look out for is there are 2 different kinds of clipless pedals. Raod and ATB (mountain bike) I have ATBs on both my bikes so I can use one pair of shoes. Besides that Road shoes have some kind of platform on the bottom that makes walking around abnormal. ATBs have the clips built into the bottom so it's really close to wearing a normal pair of shoes. I don't know if there is much of a difference between the performance characteristics of the two types though. What does everyone else use?

As for clipping in and out, I've got my clips set loose so I can pop out pretty easy. I haven't had a problem of unclipping while riding, but I've heard some people have. When I get on the bike I clip one side in and pedal a few strokes with the other side unclipped and when I get going, I can clip in with little fear of falling over. Once you get good at it, you can tighten your clips down a little.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18