of 18

2008-05-06 10:52 PM
in reply to: #1370022

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Gat's Mentor Group - Open
Gat,
Thanks for the post to my blog. I think that's what I'm looking for, the support to keep doing the workouts and wanting to be able to post that I've done them.

I'm using a training program from Matt Fitzgerald's Week by Week Training Guide. Oly distance level 3 (last one to do 6 workouts/week instead of 9).

Moose - I love to lift heavy, it is definitely what I'm built for! I've heard that you do want to ease up during tri session - lift weight that you can do comfortably for 12-15 reps (instead of 6-8 reps). I only lift if I'm stuck indoors with kids, but even then I'm shifting to cardio tapes.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

MM

2008-05-07 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Today's workout - 1h15m bike ride. Getting used to aero bars.

I can get to people's training logs to see what people are doing, but how do I post a message to them? I like getting one of those signs saying I've got a message and would like to send some out too. Thanks.

Edited by MuscleMomma 2008-05-07 8:41 AM
2008-05-07 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1386330

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for the info Muscle Momma.  I Will probably lighten up and focus on the 3 main sports.  The other thing I am having problems with is that I travel a lot for my job and it is hard to keep my workout schedule consistent and get everything in, or I go run heavy on the road because that is the easiest thing to do.  You can run anywhere and anytime which is nice and occasionally I will throw in some stationary bike.  Any thoughts on how to get everything in and make sure that workouts are effective when on the road?
2008-05-07 9:24 AM

User image

Regular

Moose,

I travel a lot as well and understand your frustration.  I joined a Fitness Center with clubs nation wide and now I actually get in more workout time when I am on the road than at home. Since I am typically alone in the evenings and no kids with me to help out with, I just go workout. This works out nice because that way when I am home I do not feel like I am neglecting the family.

When traveling I hit the lap pool, spin classes, treadmill and weights and at home I focus on the road running and bike from right around the house so it doesn't take up as much time.

2008-05-07 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I second John suggestion. I stayed at a hotel once that gave free passes to the health club next door to it.

**Today's workout - 1h15m bike ride - DONE! Yea me!**

Excuse me, but a WHINEY POST COMING so feel free to stop here, though you clydes will understand.
As I was going uphill, pounding the pedals for dear life, I thought back to my sprint tri's and those skinny guys who would fly past me on hills. I cursed them in my head, cause I had no air to even mutter. It's so unfair to me, a fat woman. As muscular as I am, they have that over on me and they don't have to lug around a fat suit.
I've got to lose weight and know what to do. I often lack the willpower to say no to junk food and even when I do my body holds onto fat like it was entering a famine.

I have to remember that the feeling of flying on my bike or on a run is sweeter than that chocolate which only turns into fat and poop anyway!

Now get out there and train!!!

MM
2008-05-07 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1385972

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Subject: RE: Questions to the group
Moose22 - 2008-05-06 7:27 PM

How much strength training would you suggest doing on top of the normal 3 sports.  I like to strength train, but I am afraid of going hard or really even touching my legs, because I don't want to take away from my running and biking sessions.  Any suggestions or rules of thumb to follow in this category?

Also, I am training towards an Olympic in September as my first main Tri, but would it be advisable to try a local sprint or even a couple beforehand?

2008-05-07 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1385972

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Subject: RE: Questions to the group
Moose22 - 2008-05-06 7:27 PM

How much strength training would you suggest doing on top of the normal 3 sports.  I like to strength train, but I am afraid of going hard or really even touching my legs, because I don't want to take away from my running and biking sessions.  Any suggestions or rules of thumb to follow in this category?

Also, I am training towards an Olympic in September as my first main Tri, but would it be advisable to try a local sprint or even a couple beforehand?

I feel that it is important to maintain some level of core/weight training each week.  The question is how much?  Others would disagree saying that focusing on biking, running and swimming is more than sufficient.  I like to work in twice a week during base training leading up to my race season.  I will scale this back a bit as I start racing, but I never totally abandon it.  I just do not see the logic of how a stronger upper body, lower body and core could negatively effect triathlon performance.  Now I am not talking about hitting the weights to get big, only to remain tone and strong.  So during base training, I would do 2X U/B for 30 min each, 2X L/B for 30 min each and 2X core for 15 min each. 

As for your other question, if your Oly is not until September, I do feel that it is beneficial to do a spring tri or two.  You will get a feel for what to expect that training does not prepare you for.  You will be able to practice your transitions.  A lot of triathlons is a matter of trial and error.  Find a sprint in June, July or August or in each of these months and use this to prepare better for your September race.

Edited by gatjr33 2008-05-07 1:17 PM
2008-05-07 12:46 PM

User image

New user

hi all I am a 43 yo male about 70lbs over weight and getting ready to tri. I would love to join in if there is room and if so I will post a fuller resume of my trials to date. Lap top battery is almost done so I will look in later. Thanks all.

Edited by Red Dragon 2008-05-07 12:47 PM
2008-05-07 12:47 PM

User image

Master

Hello Gat.  If you'll have me, I'd love to be one of your mentees  I was in a group over the winter and received lots of great advice, but I think they were all pretty advanced.  Me...not so much.   I too have a family (husband and 3 yr old) and plenty of weight to lose.  At present, I qualify for the Athen category by a fair margin.   I started biking last September, running in February and have always been a swimmer.   I just completed my first sprint tri last weekend, loved it and dominated every sport....at a snails pace  My goals are fairly simple.  Carve about  30 minutes off of my sprint time, lose 35 more pounds and stay motivated to do so.  So, what'a'ya say...will you have me???

2008-05-07 1:21 PM
in reply to: #1386615

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

MM,

Unless I am not understanding your question, in order to post on others blogs, also known as inspires, you simple go to their logs and click on the inspire button and type away.  You should be able to look at everyone's logs, unless they mark them private.  This way you can see how others are training for certain types of events.  You can encourage and motivate them through your comments.  This is also a good way to share information in more of a one on one situation.  If I have missed the boat here and not answered your question, let me know.

2008-05-07 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1386615

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

MuscleMomma - 2008-05-07 7:58 AM Today's workout - 1h15m bike ride. Getting used to aero bars.

I read this post and thought it was a good opportunity to talk about a topic that comes up often...aerobars.  When you first start doing tris, you will see a lot of different approaches to the sport.  Aerobars on some bikes and not on others.  Some ride tri bikes and others ride road bikes.  Yes, you will also see the occasion mountain bike out there as well.  Aerobars are a great racing tool.  However, not everyone is ready to use them when starting out.  If you are new to riding, just ride as much as you can or as much as your plan suggests.  If you decide to get aerobars, please take the time to get properly fitted.  This is very important for both efficiency and in order to not get injured.  If you have aerobars, as MM suggests, get use to them.  I have seen several riders on multi thousand dollar bikes that spend very little time on the bars.  Riding on aerobars feels differently at first.  You may want to try to ride on the trainer first to get a feel and then to slowly start to use them on the road.  Ride carefully and alone when learning. 

I road my road bike for two years before getting aerobars.  I thought it would not make that much of a difference.  It really does.  My first time out on the road, I dropped down on the aerobars and almost dropped down on the road.  I laugh now, but it was not all that funny then.  It just has a different feel.  Like anything though, the more you use them, the more comfortable you become.

2008-05-07 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1387382

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

Red Dragon,

You are in, so recharge your battery, share a bit more about yourself and let us know what your goals are. 

2008-05-07 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1387383

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
carlacrews - 2008-05-07 12:47 PM

Hello Gat.  If you'll have me, I'd love to be one of your mentees  I was in a group over the winter and received lots of great advice, but I think they were all pretty advanced.  Me...not so much.   I too have a family (husband and 3 yr old) and plenty of weight to lose.  At present, I qualify for the Athen category by a fair margin.   I started biking last September, running in February and have always been a swimmer.   I just completed my first sprint tri last weekend, loved it and dominated every sport....at a snails pace  My goals are fairly simple.  Carve about  30 minutes off of my sprint time, lose 35 more pounds and stay motivated to do so.  So, what'a'ya say...will you have me???

Carla,

You are in as well.  Congrats on completing your first tri.  The hardest part of the battle is training and racing in the first one.  After that, you realize that you can do it, that you can get better and that there is a place for you in the sport.  There are so many misconceptions with tris.  When I first decided that I was going to do a tris and then an IM, I would show up for events expecting every person that I saw to be 4% body fat and just chiseled.  In your mind, you expect that all of the other athletes are going to look like elite or professional athletes and it is just not so.  You mention that you currently qualify for the Athena category.  I have raced as a Clyde for three years now and the reality is that I am always going to be a Clyde.  The reality also is that when you go to triathlons, athletes come in all shapes, sizes and abilities. 

So welcome and hopefully we can help you achieve your goals.

2008-05-07 1:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

I believe now is a good time to close the group.  If everyone stays involved and active, I believe that we are at about 12 right now.  Seems like a reasonable number to work with.  I know that some groups like to keep it small and quaint, but I think a slightly larger group is good to keep it fun and active.  If you have shared some background information to include your current fitness level and goals, great.  If not, now is the time to share.  Again, please consider using the training logs on a regular basis.  This is a great tool to track progress and to learn from each other.  Finally, if anyone has any questions, issues or topics that they would like to discuss, fire away.  Let's start the sharing and learning. 

2008-05-07 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Gat's Mentor Group - Closed

Current fitness level is fairly low:

swim ~ 500yd in 8:20    bike ~ avg 14-16mph depending on route, wind, etc.   run - 14 min/mi

Goals are as follows:

swim ~ 500yd in 7 min      bike ~ avg 18 mph      run - 11 min/mi

I have no idea really how to improve speed on the bike or the running.   I will manage the swimming.  I just don't practice that often.

2008-05-07 2:48 PM
in reply to: #1387609

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

Carla,

These seem like reasonable goals.  Well, stating the obvious, improving takes practice.  We can talk about how to get better on the bike and run.  Now, if you can just help me swim faster.

2008-05-07 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Carla,
You sound like my twin!!!!
My swim is a few minutes slower than yours and my miles are about 12 min., but minor differences!
Let's reach those goals!
Do you have a training plan?

MM
2008-05-07 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1387806

User image

Master

MuscleMomma - 2008-05-07 3:13 PM Carla, You sound like my twin!!!! My swim is a few minutes slower than yours and my miles are about 12 min., but minor differences! Let's reach those goals! Do you have a training plan? MM

I don't use a plan.  I get workouts in when I can and try for a better time/speed each workout.  I'm sure there are better ways...

2008-05-07 4:08 PM

New user

how much does sticking to a plan help.  I've been consistently swimming and running twice a week.  Each time I try to push myself a bit faster/further.  Do i need an external plan?

PS it sounds like swimming is a nightmare for almost all.  I used to be a lifeguard but now I can barely swim 850 feet without needing to stop.  Does it get easier as you continue to train? 

2008-05-07 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1388031

User image

Regular

YES it gets easier...but with HARD work.

I started back to swimming in January after  MANY years break and it took me "about" 26 min. to swim 800M.  My best I have done so far in a lap pool is 16:13 now and I think I can do a lot better than that.

I found some training plans on BT and used the drills they listed, give it a try and I bet you will get it back too.

2008-05-07 5:24 PM
in reply to: #1388031

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

Duffers, the answer to your question about training is that it depends.  If you know the types of training sessions that you need to get in each week, then you can keep it lose and not have a formalized plan.  This assumes that you are disciplined enough to do the different types of workouts.  For example, if you are preparing for a marathon, you would likely have a couple of shorter runs, a mid-size run and a longer run.  The lentgh of these efforts will increase over time until you begin to taper.  If you know what you need and you can get it done, you do not need a formal plan.  If you are doing a shorter race, like a sprint or oly, you just need to know that you can cover the distance.  There are many plans out there, and here on BT, that offer up two swims, two runs and two rides a week.  That is the plan.  It really depends on the type of person.  I am very analytical and type A, so for me, I like having a plan written out each week with exactly what I would like to do each do.  I never stick to it, because I believe that you need to keep it flexible.  However, I always start with a plan and I note what the key workouts our.  If something has to give, I try to not make it the key workouts.  I know a guy that is pretty talented at tris and his quote is "I just fly by the seat of my pants".  So your approach really depends on what works for you.

As to your question on swimming...the answer is yes.  Spend more time in the water.  Your stroke gets smoother, your body relaxes more and your breathing is easier.  At some point it will click, or at least that is what the good swimmers tell me. 

Edited by gatjr33 2008-05-07 5:26 PM

2008-05-07 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I'd second Gats.
Plans take you through a base, build and a peak phase (how many weeks each lasts depends) and during a week you might alternate short sprints with a longer moderate run on weekends. It will have you doing hills etc.
What you describe about getting in the workouts and pushing a bit, sounds good and sounds like the base phase, which is where I'm at.
With my low level of endurance, I know that I don't need the kind of detailed lactate threshold rates (whatever that is!) plan, but I've found the general plans helpful. Take a look at the free ones here or at Matt Fitzgerald's book.

2008-05-07 10:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN

Hey all... I was planning on posting my results and learnings from two tests that I had done recently at SCS Multisports here in Minnesota, but it is too late tonight.  Basically, I had a full video swim analysis and did a 10k Timetrial on a computrainer...  short and sweet... I can easily gain time on swimming and my power to weight ratio for that time trial was 2.48 (and I am far from "lightweight"!!!      Hopefully, what I learned will help some of you out!!!  Have a great night!

2008-05-08 2:10 AM

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii

Aero bars-

I'm a real newb on the bike.  My first road bike was a mid level tri bike w/ tri geometry, very laid out, which I got in June of '07.  I started riding w/ a group of experienced cyclist and triathletes.  This helped a lot because I just shifted when they did and tried to keep my cadence to match.  I spent quite a few rides at the back of the pack.  Because my bike was a tri bike I spent most of my time on the aero bars, not knowing any better.  I climbed in aero (I was too far behind the other to see that the sat up on the climbs) and stayed in aero until my rear couldn't take it.  I'd sit up to shift around, then back to aero.  Now that I'm MOP (w/ my training group) I notice that I stay in aero a lot more that the other guys.  Aero has become my comfort position.  I don't know if that's a good thing, but I'm not as bothered by the wind as some of the others, and I tuck real well for drafting and descending.  I guess for me ignorance kinda helped.

2008-05-08 3:10 AM

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii

ball6135

in your log you mentioned that you needed to focus on flat hand entry, what does that mean?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gat's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18