BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2008-12-18 8:06 AM
in reply to: #1860093

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

zee744 - 2008-12-17 8:05 PM I definitely feel your pain. I've been going through the same thing with running and I'm trying to figure out what I should do. As I said in my intro, I broke my ankle pretty bad and had surgery at the beginning of April (1 plate & 8 screws). I just started running at the beginning of November mostly on the treadmill due to the weather. When I am able to get outside though it hurts a lot more in a shorter amount of than on the treadmill. Now I know that eventually it will strengthen back up again but, how will running on a treadmill/soft trails affect running on asphalt over the distance of up to a marathon? Should I just keep running on the treadmill/trails, or tough it out on the road?

If the treadmill is easier on the foot, I would say stay with that for now.  Trails will be good, but it also takes more ankle stability etc.  When the ankle gets a bit stronger, trails would be better for the pounding aspect.  It may still be worth your while to split your runs though between the road and the treadmill or trails.  Then your still used to the road, but taking away half the pouding of it.

2008-12-18 8:09 AM
in reply to: #1860487

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Answer for Slow Turtle:

Good questions   Taking a class at the Y, may or may not help out really.  You already have the trainer, and I say its better to train on the equipment you'll be using.  And we can help you with with the terms people use

As for the bike/shoes, etc.   Clipless pedals are better, but I wouldnt worry too much about it right now unless you plan to use them this year and want to get used to them.  It will be a good investment.   However, if you have the money, and know you are going to stick to tris, investment in a tri bike would be better     Of course, if thats not a option now, you can always get clipless pedals and shoes for this bike and then transfer them one day

Edited by kellc09 2008-12-18 8:10 AM
2008-12-18 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1858188

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - OPEN
Gregkl - 2008-12-17 8:33 AM

I also see you are from Mi.  I grew up in Flint.  Maybe you could talk me into coming up and doing the Crim 10-MilerSmile

Greg

I did the CRIM in 2007 and LOVED it!

Speaking of injuries...I couldn't run the CRIM this year because of my achilles!  I hate paying all the registration fees and then having to back out.  What a waste of money...maybe this year I will be slower to register for everything.

There are so many things to respond to that I don't know where to start. It sounds like we will be a great group!

I have two questions (assuming you know that 2009 is my first year for tris):

My first tri will be on 6/21.  I was going to do the sprint which has a 500m swim.  The olympic has a 1500 meter swim.  My goal is to do a IM in 2010.  Should I stick with the sprint or push myself to train for the oly?  The swim is the scary part for me.

Second question: Since I am planning on an IM in 2010, should I do a HIM this summer?  Is it even necessary before an IM or can I just do a few olys while preparing?  I will be running a marathon and several half marathons between now and then...

I really want to get my goals set so I know what I am looking at doing this summer.

2008-12-18 8:24 AM
in reply to: #1860568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
kellc09 - 2008-12-18 9:06 AM

zee744 - 2008-12-17 8:05 PM I definitely feel your pain. I've been going through the same thing with running and I'm trying to figure out what I should do. As I said in my intro, I broke my ankle pretty bad and had surgery at the beginning of April (1 plate & 8 screws). I just started running at the beginning of November mostly on the treadmill due to the weather. When I am able to get outside though it hurts a lot more in a shorter amount of than on the treadmill. Now I know that eventually it will strengthen back up again but, how will running on a treadmill/soft trails affect running on asphalt over the distance of up to a marathon? Should I just keep running on the treadmill/trails, or tough it out on the road?

If the treadmill is easier on the foot, I would say stay with that for now.  Trails will be good, but it also takes more ankle stability etc.  When the ankle gets a bit stronger, trails would be better for the pounding aspect.  It may still be worth your while to split your runs though between the road and the treadmill or trails.  Then your still used to the road, but taking away half the pouding of it

Thanks for your input Kellie & David. Due to the fact that anything outside that is not a road is covered in snow, I think I'll stick to the treadmill and roads for now. Even if there was no snow, I think the ground would be just as hard as the road lol. Once we thaw out by say, May, then I'll be able to get out on the trails!!

Edited by zee744 2008-12-18 8:25 AM
2008-12-18 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1860581

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-12-18 8:12 AM
Gregkl - 2008-12-17 8:33 AM

I also see you are from Mi.  I grew up in Flint.  Maybe you could talk me into coming up and doing the Crim 10-MilerSmile

Greg

I did the CRIM in 2007 and LOVED it!

Speaking of injuries...I couldn't run the CRIM this year because of my achilles!  I hate paying all the registration fees and then having to back out.  What a waste of money...maybe this year I will be slower to register for everything.

There are so many things to respond to that I don't know where to start. It sounds like we will be a great group!

I have two questions (assuming you know that 2009 is my first year for tris):

My first tri will be on 6/21.  I was going to do the sprint which has a 500m swim.  The olympic has a 1500 meter swim.  My goal is to do a IM in 2010.  Should I stick with the sprint or push myself to train for the oly?  The swim is the scary part for me.  How do you feel your swimming is going currently?  If your willing to put the time in to swim longer, you could be ready for a 1500 meter swim by June, and youve already got the running part down which can take the longest to make gains on. 

Second question: Since I am planning on an IM in 2010, should I do a HIM this summer?  Is it even necessary before an IM or can I just do a few olys while preparing?  I will be running a marathon and several half marathons between now and then...   same as above...  a HIM swim isnt much farther than a 1500 meter olympic swim, but the bike and run are double + a little.  My suggestion would be to focus on  some sprints and olympics through the summer, I believe you said your doing a marathon in the fall, and then get a concrete plan to start your off season and build up that biking and swimming for the IM in 2010.  Picking a later IM in 2010 would allow you to do a early/mid season HIM in 2010 to practice for the IM (nutrition and how the body will handle it etc).  

In the end, you dont want to do too much too soon and end up injured.   So this being your first year in tris, Im not sure Id suggest a HIM and put that pressure on, or get injured with too much too fast.  Lucky for you, you have the running part down, so one suggestion would be.. while training for the Olympic this summer, make your long rides farther.  Get your long rides up in the 50-60 mile range, that of a HIM, to go into late 09 and early 2010 in good shape to build those miles (again, the running is already there if your doing half marathons and marathons through this year)  So for you, it will be about building that swim and bik

Hope that helped some

I really want to get my goals set so I know what I am looking at doing this summer.

2008-12-18 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1860701

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
kellc09 - 2008-12-18 9:59 AM

My first tri will be on 6/21.  I was going to do the sprint which has a 500m swim.  The olympic has a 1500 meter swim.  My goal is to do a IM in 2010.  Should I stick with the sprint or push myself to train for the oly?  The swim is the scary part for me.  How do you feel your swimming is going currently?  If your willing to put the time in to swim longer, you could be ready for a 1500 meter swim by June, and youve already got the running part down which can take the longest to make gains on. 

Hope that helped some

Thanks Kellie! I will stay away from the HIM this summer...which will be a stress relief.

I guess I think I can get my swimming up by June to do the Oly but am worried about feeling panic or overwhelmed in the swim with the mass start.  Once I get calmed down in the swim, I should be okay for the distance.  I live on Lake St Clair so might be able to practice some chilly OWS before the Oly...  I know I could handle the bike and the run. 

2008-12-18 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1860798

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-12-18 9:36 AM
kellc09 - 2008-12-18 9:59 AM

Hope that helped some

Thanks Kellie! I will stay away from the HIM this summer...which will be a stress relief.

I guess I think I can get my swimming up by June to do the Oly but am worried about feeling panic or overwhelmed in the swim with the mass start.  Once I get calmed down in the swim, I should be okay for the distance.  I live on Lake St Clair so might be able to practice some chilly OWS before the Oly...  I know I could handle the bike and the run. 

I'll be out at Stoney training in the water before Big Fish.  If your willing to drive there a couple of times, I'll bring a couple extra people out to simulate a mass swim start    or, I'll swim at you, hit you some, etc.  Are you used to open water swimming in general?

2008-12-18 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hey guys... 

Id like to hear what you guys have planned workout wise for the weekend.   Also, over the weekend, if you dont already have a set plan  that your following, think about what you want to achieve for next week.   It could be as simple as get back into training, etc.  I know it will be the holidays again next week, but it may help keep those extra pounds off if you can keep up with your workout routine even if it means getting up a little early before the family gatherings, etc

Edited by kellc09 2008-12-18 10:04 AM
2008-12-18 10:16 AM

User image

Expert

Goals for this weekend!

Tonite(Thurs)-I'm hoping to get back in the pool after a long absence from it. My swimming technique is non existant, so I'm working on breathing correctly. I'm going to try an interval plan that Max Performance posted in their news letter. it's a ladder of 50-100-200-400-200-100-50. This will be ambitious for me right now.

Friday-35 minutes on the bike trainer. Which is a 5 minute increase.

Sat- 40 minute abs focused Pilates video.

Sun-Rest.

Any suggestions?

2008-12-18 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Heidi - sounds like you have a good plan!

My weekend plan:

Thursday night: 45 min on trainer

Friday: weight lifting (biceps and triceps, legs and abs) / swimming (an hour)

Saturday: 45 min bike / 4 mile run

Sunday: 7 mile run (I hope the weather cooperates!)

Big Goals: no drinking pop and log my food intake...

P.s. Kellie - I can meet you at Stoney for an OWS this spring! I try to swim with my children in a lane at the pool and they are always in my way so I run into them to get used to people hitting me!   I have swam in the lake but just for recreation....not like distance swimming. 

Edited by Bronwyn1968 2008-12-18 10:48 AM
2008-12-18 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1860818

User image

Master
Wow -- I rarely think about weekend workout goals, so this is good!!

Actually, I am a stay-at-home mom and do most of my training during the week, with Friday usually being my "long run" or "big workout" day. Weekends are for the family, though I do try to do something...

Right now we are snowed in, kids home from school, can't leave the 'hood, etc (Seattle area is pretty lame even in light snow -- not enough snow plows and too many hills, everything stops). So over the next few days, my goal is actually to keep my patience with my (very high-energy) kids.

While house-bound, I would like to get my butt on the trainer, and do core workouts. If it's not dangerously icy on the trails, I will get out for a run or two this weekend. Something in the 7-10 mile range would be nice, as I haven't gone more than 6 since I ran a half mary on 11/30.

Would love some ideas/guidance for trainer workouts. I have a few Spinnerval DVDs that I do from time to time. Cycling is my weakness, so I am all about time in the saddle knowing that helps. But if anyone has any basic sets/drills they like to do, I'd love to hear them!

Kyla

2008-12-18 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1861106

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

kkcbelle - 2008-12-18 11:15 AM Wow -- I rarely think about weekend workout goals, so this is good!! Actually, I am a stay-at-home mom and do most of my training during the week, with Friday usually being my "long run" or "big workout" day. Weekends are for the family, though I do try to do something... Right now we are snowed in, kids home from school, can't leave the 'hood, etc (Seattle area is pretty lame even in light snow -- not enough snow plows and too many hills, everything stops). So over the next few days, my goal is actually to keep my patience with my (very high-energy) kids. While house-bound, I would like to get my butt on the trainer, and do core workouts. If it's not dangerously icy on the trails, I will get out for a run or two this weekend. Something in the 7-10 mile range would be nice, as I haven't gone more than 6 since I ran a half mary on 11/30. Would love some ideas/guidance for trainer workouts. I have a few Spinnerval DVDs that I do from time to time. Cycling is my weakness, so I am all about time in the saddle knowing that helps. But if anyone has any basic sets/drills they like to do, I'd love to hear them! Kyla

Once the weekend is almost over, Im going to request goals for next week to, so be prepared!  haha

As for trainer workouts... Spinervals are great to break up those boring trainer rides.  What I used to do before I followed a specific plan, besides spinerals, was I would play music.   I would use my computer, or MP3 player, and do a warmup to 2 songs, and then alternate pacing during each song after.  So, after warm up, 1 song medium, 1 song faster, 1 song slower, 1 song medium, 1 song faster, 1 song slower, and keep repeating until your time is up.   For my distance rides, I normally either listen to music, or watch a dvd on my computer.  There is no way around those, those are boring.    Just a couple of suggestions, others may have some other methods of getting in a workout on the trainer!

Also, if your not following a plan, maybe chosing one here on BT to get you through the winter would help break it up, as I think they give you some specific things to do within your time on the trainer per workout

Edited by kellc09 2008-12-18 11:25 AM
2008-12-18 11:28 AM
in reply to: #1860948

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2008-12-18 10:16 AM

Goals for this weekend!

Tonite(Thurs)-I'm hoping to get back in the pool after a long absence from it. My swimming technique is non existant, so I'm working on breathing correctly. I'm going to try an interval plan that Max Performance posted in their news letter. it's a ladder of 50-100-200-400-200-100-50. This will be ambitious for me right now.

Sun-Rest.

Any suggestions?

Looks good to me.  You are just getting into the swing of this if I remember right?  

2008-12-18 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1861145

User image

Expert
kellc09 - 2008-12-18 12:28 PM

Goals for this weekend!

Sun-Rest.

Any suggestions?

Looks good to me.  You are just getting into the swing of this if I remember right?  

Kellc-I am just getting into this. I did a sprint distance Tri on 9/28, but the real race was cancelled due to weather, so I made one up at home with similar distances. But, I "trained" with no real knowledge of tri's or how to train. That's why I have a million questions. Why do you ask?

2008-12-18 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1861167

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2008-12-18 11:36 AM
kellc09 - 2008-12-18 12:28 PM

Goals for this weekend!

Sun-Rest.

Any suggestions?

Kellc-I am just getting into this. I did a sprint distance Tri on 9/28, but the real race was cancelled due to weather, so I made one up at home with similar distances. But, I "trained" with no real knowledge of tri's or how to train. That's why I have a million questions. Why do you ask?

Just making sure I had everyones background straight   I wouldnt want to suggest something to someone that wasnt suited to where they stand fitness wise right now. (you had asked, "any suggestions"? after your post about what you were doing this weekend

2008-12-18 11:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: Weekend Plans....

Here are my weekend plans...no goals per se, just trying to keep getting faster

Tonight- 1 hour swim...gonna try and do the first swim workout of Ironfit just to get a look at what I'm in for...300wu, 8x50drills, 12x100@20sec rest, 8x50drills, 200cd...possibly a 30min run after

Friday- General full body lift (to maintain until I get into my plan) chest, shoulders/back, legs etc & 45min run

Saturday- 1 1/2 hour ride on the trainer, working on some HR (for run too) training so I wanna go as hard as possible but stay in Z2...might throw in a run for a little brick

Sunday- 1 hr run, hopefully outside weather permitting

Thoughts?

Edited by zee744 2008-12-18 12:52 PM

2008-12-18 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL

Training plan for the rest of this week:

tonight: 4 mile run

Friday: weight training in AM, swim @ noon

Saturday: 10 mile run

Sunday: swim @ noon (Y doesn't open until noon on Sunday).

30 minute spinervals workout @ some point over the weekend, probably Sunday evening.

Edited by matt_d 2008-12-18 1:05 PM
2008-12-18 1:13 PM
in reply to: #1861129

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Quote:

Once the weekend is almost over, Im going to request goals for next week to, so be prepared!  haha

As for trainer workouts... Spinervals are great to break up those boring trainer rides.  What I used to do before I followed a specific plan, besides spinerals, was I would play music.   I would use my computer, or MP3 player, and do a warmup to 2 songs, and then alternate pacing during each song after.  So, after warm up, 1 song medium, 1 song faster, 1 song slower, 1 song medium, 1 song faster, 1 song slower, and keep repeating until your time is up.   For my distance rides, I normally either listen to music, or watch a dvd on my computer.  There is no way around those, those are boring.    Just a couple of suggestions, others may have some other methods of getting in a workout on the trainer!

Also, if your not following a plan, maybe chosing one here on BT to get you through the winter would help break it up, as I think they give you some specific things to do within your time on the trainer per workout

END QUOTE

Man coach Kellie your killing us already! lol 

I looked over some of the groups logs and either people are not inputing logs or are just starting to train.  After looking at some of the goals for this weekend if the ladder is true and your just starting to train it might be alittle too much for week 1.  Just my opinion, but I don't want anyone injured.

David

Edited by razorxp 2008-12-18 1:16 PM
2008-12-18 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hey David!

Was your last paragraph in reference to anyones specific question, or to me asking for workout goals for the weekend?

Thanks!

2008-12-18 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1861129

User image

Master
kellc09 - 2008-12-18 11:22 AM

Thanks... I am planning to start a HIM plan on 2/2, so for now I figure I will be running as much as I feel like, spinning more than I probably feel like, and hitting the pool if the urge hits. I tend to be consistent about working out 5-6x days a week unless hit with extraordinary circumstances!!

I like the idea for the trainer workout of breaking it up by songs -- that is something new to do. I get good workouts with Coach Troy, but he can be too loud for me to do when others are sleeping or not wanting to hear a cycling coach cheer me on. Thanks!!

Reading people's swim workouts gives me the itch to submerge myself in chlorine, so thanks for that!!
2008-12-18 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1861566

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
kellc09 - 2008-12-18 2:34 PM

Hey David!

Was your last paragraph in reference to anyones specific question, or to me asking for workout goals for the weekend?

Thanks!

[/QUOTE

nevermind, I was looking at the "planned" workouts not the "actual".  I have my page to default to planned.

Edited by razorxp 2008-12-18 3:17 PM

2008-12-18 4:07 PM

User image

Elgin, Ok
I am one of those guilty of not putting my workouts into the log. Call that my pre new years resolution!!!

Thursday- bike and run sprint simulation Biked 8 miles (22:52) ran 3.1 miles (22:41) total time
(45:41) Goal time for Feb 1st is sub (44:00)

*Question- How much will a 300 meter swim take away from my times? I know this question is dependent on my swim abilities but just wondering based on your experiences.

Friday- Run 5 miles and Strength training

Saturday- rest day (unless you count duck and quail hunting)

Sunday- Long Run 10 miles

Hope to get back into the pool on Monday. Y Pool is 30 minutes away in the next town.

*Question- I am planning on a half iron in late in may. Do I start the training plan for the half and just treat the sprint tri as a training day. Or do I follow a training plan for the sprint and start another for the half?
2008-12-18 5:58 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Friday: weight training, bike trainer workout

Saturday; Swim

Sunday; Run

Monday: bike trainer workout.

2008-12-18 6:05 PM
in reply to: #1861982

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

hughes411 - 2008-12-18 4:07 PM I am one of those guilty of not putting my workouts into the log. Call that my pre new years resolution!!! Thursday- bike and run sprint simulation Biked 8 miles (22:52) ran 3.1 miles (22:41) total time (45:41) Goal time for Feb 1st is sub (44:00) *Question- How much will a 300 meter swim take away from my times? I know this question is dependent on my swim abilities but just wondering based on your experiences. Friday- Run 5 miles and Strength training Saturday- rest day (unless you count duck and quail hunting) Sunday- Long Run 10 miles Hope to get back into the pool on Monday. Y Pool is 30 minutes away in the next town. *Question- I am planning on a half iron in late in may. Do I start the training plan for the half and just treat the sprint tri as a training day. Or do I follow a training plan for the sprint and start another for the half?

Good  question.  If the half iron race in May is your A race of the year, then yes, you will just use any race up to that half iron race as a training day and maybe take a little step back before your smaller races, but in general, you will train through them. 

2008-12-18 6:06 PM
in reply to: #1861617

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
kkcbelle - 2008-12-18 1:43 PM
kellc09 - 2008-12-18 11:22 AM Also, if your not following a plan, maybe chosing one here on BT to get you through the winter would help break it up, as I think they give you some specific things to do within your time on the trainer per workout

Thanks... I am planning to start a HIM plan on 2/2, so for now I figure I will be running as much as I feel like, spinning more than I probably feel like, and hitting the pool if the urge hits. I tend to be consistent about working out 5-6x days a week unless hit with extraordinary circumstances!! I like the idea for the trainer workout of breaking it up by songs -- that is something new to do. I get good workouts with Coach Troy, but he can be too loud for me to do when others are sleeping or not wanting to hear a cycling coach cheer me on. Thanks!! Reading people's swim workouts gives me the itch to submerge myself in chlorine, so thanks for that!!

HAHA, I just had to laugh at your last line in there about submerging yourself in chlorine and the word itch.    Take a look at my pool mishap in my log from yesterday!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30