BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-04-13 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group- OPEN FOR BUSINESS!
Tony

That sounds AWESOME!!! I would love that!

2009-04-13 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2080907

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
swbkrun - 2009-04-13 12:35 PM Tony

That sounds AWESOME!!! I would love that!

They do Mooseman, Timberman, Lonestar and a few others, supposedly they put on a great event.  LOL now only if the water for Mooseman would get up to 70 I would be happy...
2009-04-13 11:49 AM

User image

Pro
Ok if Janet isn't going to brag about her weekend, I am going to do it for her!  She set a PR in a run she did yesterday by 4 minutes (including some hills!).... That is awesome and I think that EVERYONE should know about it!
2009-04-13 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

Hello All,

I hope everyone had a great weekend and a Happy Easter!!  I was a total lazy dasiy this weekend Undecided.  I managed to drag myself to the pool yesterday for a short swim but that was about it.

Question - for those of you that are doing weight training along with your s/b/r..... are you continuing your weights throughout race season? or do you just decrease the amount of strength training you do during race season?  I have been doing my normal weight training (usually 3 days a week) while training for my oly races next month and this has worked out fine so far but I am getting ready to start my HIM training and and trying to work out my training plan. 

~Holly

2009-04-13 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2081029

User image

Pro
HollyW - 2009-04-13 10:06 AM

Hello All,

I hope everyone had a great weekend and a Happy Easter!!  I was a total lazy dasiy this weekend Undecided.  I managed to drag myself to the pool yesterday for a short swim but that was about it.

Question - for those of you that are doing weight training along with your s/b/r..... are you continuing your weights throughout race season? or do you just decrease the amount of strength training you do during race season?  I have been doing my normal weight training (usually 3 days a week) while training for my oly races next month and this has worked out fine so far but I am getting ready to start my HIM training and and trying to work out my training plan. 

~Holly

Holly maybe others would have better advice (since I have never lifted weights in my life, and it shows! !!!) but my wife who is also doing a 1/2 Ironman in the beginning of June is lifting 3x a week until the end of this month, then she will go away from it completely for a while.  Her focus now is to build the muscles needed for a strong swim/bike.  It was done in a few stages.  Started with lot's of reps/little weight, then went in to POWERLIFTING (I am a wimp compared to her!) where she would lift as much as she could 3x, now transition back into less weight and more reps (which is actually more weight than previous due to building muscles). 

I hope this helps.  I am sure others have much better advice.  My arms have more bones than muscle's!
2009-04-13 12:34 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
I didn't see a closed sign hanging yet...do you have room for one more?

2009-04-13 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN

If there is still room, I would love to join!

Name: Josh

Family Status:  Married for almost 9 years.  I have a two-year old daughter.

Current Training: Just started my 20 week training program for the Louisville Ironman.

2009 Races: Did my first triathlon of this season on 3/29/2009.  Have an Olympic in May and will probably do several more sprints.  Ironman Louisville on August 30.

2009 Goals: Finish the Ironman

Edited by wes mantooth 2009-04-13 12:59 PM
2009-04-13 12:59 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I am leftover from Steve's last group (who can leave Steve?).  It was so fun, I learned a lot and cannot wait to meet the new folks!

Name:
Suzy Shain

Family Status:  Married forever19 years

Current Training: Been training for Boston, but soon will turn to more S and more B!

My Story:
Started training for my first marathon at age 39 after watching IM WI.  Took several years to qualify for Boston and with that behind me turned to tris.  Big problem, no swimming skills.  Didn't learn as a kid, nearly drowned on my honeymoon so big time water phobia. I have worked forever two years to get where I am currently.

2008 Races: Boston Marathon, a couple of half marathons and 10Ks, and three sprints.

2009 Goals: BQ at Boston (although this is my last marathon) and complete my First Olympic and First HIM.

Weightloss:
More interested in nutrition and dropping a little BF%.

What do I want help with: Someone get me over the swim hurdle!  And tell me when I am doing too much.

What can I provide:
Maybe I can chime in on running advice/tips.  I have built up my knowledge quit a bit in this area.  I probably can also provide an ounce or two of motivation.  I love working out, love this sport and love hanging out with people with like goals!

2009-04-13 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2081136

User image

Pro
fattyfatfat - 2009-04-13 10:34 AM I didn't see a closed sign hanging yet...do you have room for one more?

YES WELCOME!!!
2009-04-13 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2081232

User image

Champion
marietta
swbkrun - 2009-04-13 1:03 PM
fattyfatfat - 2009-04-13 10:34 AM I didn't see a closed sign hanging yet...do you have room for one more?

YES WELCOME!!!

SWEET THANKS!!!

Story   My name is John Davis  I'm 37, happily married with 2 children, 1 on the way and 3 dogs.  Five years ago I ran the Marine Corps Marathon but since put a lot of weight on.  I had a physical in August and tipped the scales at 6' 4" 275.  I know I want to be around as long as I can so I needed to do something.  I started running again, quit drinking beer every night and have since lost almost 40 pounds. (on the BMI chart I'm no longer obese, small victory)

2009 Races Just finished my first triathlon at the Lonestar 1/4 last Sunday (check out my race report if you are bored) 5/15 Silverlake Sprint,  7/7 Tejas Sprint,  6/28 Buffalo Springs Lake IM 70.3 

Issues  I am officially addicted to triathlon & I spend way way way to much time on BT.  Please help! 

2009-04-13 1:22 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group- LOCKED UP!! FOCUSED!

Alright here we go.... Here is the list of names: (Late comers, Friends, and Previous members welcome ANYTIME!)

Steve-swbkrun
Tony-Dalessit (your gear guru)
Trevor-TrevorC (he needs help with names)
Stan-tyring1
Tracy-tahrens (name should be smart a@@)
Jeremy-Jhagerman (Hopefully giving us all a treat later-check your pm's!)
Holly-hollyw
Rob-Redknight (don't call me Ben)
Beth-Bethpaultx
Shannon-Kauaishan (don't let my name fool you I live in the rain!)
Kim-Kt65 (and her dog)
Shawn-ShawnR
Roni-ronirunnw (check out my abs in my avatar!)

Izzy-Israelq48
Chet-cbarnes1 (no Trevor that does not say SEE BARNES RUN!)
Sarah-smoores1 (I mean smoore1- smoores are so tasty by a fire)
Linda-havinfun
Andy-ashort33
Adam-abrunner
Kerry-Kpray
Chris-jeepguy2358
Matt-Cadmus ("I work now and don't use BT at work"...SELLOUT !)
Janet-soccermom
John-fattyfatfat (I hope you are not refering to smoking something?)
Josh-wesmantooth (who doesn't love Vince Vaughn)
Barry-Plainsman AU

2009-04-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2081264

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-04-13 2:17 PM

YES WELCOME!!!

SWEET THANKS!!!

Story   My name is John Davis  I'm 37, happily married with 2 children, 1 on the way and 3 dogs.  Five years ago I ran the Marine Corps Marathon but since put a lot of weight on.  I had a physical in August and tipped the scales at 6' 4" 275.  I know I want to be around as long as I can so I needed to do something.  I started running again, quit drinking beer every night and have since lost almost 40 pounds. (on the BMI chart I'm no longer obese, small victory)

2009 Races Just finished my first triathlon at the Lonestar 1/4 last Sunday (check out my race report if you are bored) 5/15 Silverlake Sprint,  7/7 Tejas Sprint,  6/28 Buffalo Springs Lake IM 70.3 

Issues  I am officially addicted to triathlon & I spend way way way to much time on BT.  Please help! 

HA, see how many posts I have <----  I have been here just about 1 year... I spend way too much time on BTLaughing

Welcome everyone.  This is a great group.  We all pitch in and answer questions from our own experiences and or reading so don't be shy, if you know the answer to a question feel free to reply.
2009-04-13 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY

So I finally was able to get back in the pool today after several weeks off.  During the time I was unable to get to the pool did read Total Immersion swimming (made me feel like I wasn’t totally slacking off).  I worked on some of the drills today and when I started swimming my lengths my stroke count for 25 yards drop from 18 to 14, so I was pretty pumped.  Does anyone else out there us Total Immersion drills?   

2009-04-13 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2081367

User image

Champion
ABrunner - 2009-04-13 3:04 PM

So I finally was able to get back in the pool today after several weeks off.  During the time I was unable to get to the pool did read Total Immersion swimming (made me feel like I wasn’t totally slacking off).  I worked on some of the drills today and when I started swimming my lengths my stroke count for 25 yards drop from 18 to 14, so I was pretty pumped.  Does anyone else out there us Total Immersion drills?   

I the 2 day workshop when I first started and promptly dropped it as my first tri was the next week.   They didn't do a great job teaching how to breathe or move quickly in the water (In my workshop)

My coach who I have been using for 5-6 months is a TI influenced swimmer so she has me back in that style but the only TI drill that I did in the workshop that she has me do is the catchup drill which is great.

14 is great, did you increase kicking at all or keep it the same?
2009-04-13 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Holly,   on the lifting question.  Your frequency is where I want to be, but honestly I lift once a week now that it is race season.  I focus on my hip add/abductors and then shoulders/arms/lats for swimming, plus a little core work.  My goal for post race season is to hit the weights 3x a week and focus more on power lifting.  Right now I would guess I am in tone mode so I don't hurt myself before a race.  If you are use to your lifting schedule I would say keep with it. It is good to mix up what we are doing so our muscles don't get bored (or our brains).  Don't go for breaking any weight records right now.  So I guess I follow what Steve's wife does and considering she is an IRONWOMAN I feel pretty cool right now!!!

Going lift tonight after work.  Am still waiting to hear from the bike shop on the condition of my bike.  For the new members my husband and I laid down our bikes on Saturday. He got bloodier than me, but both our bikes are in the shop and I have my first  HIM in 3 weeks.  Needless to say I am anxious to get my bike back. I think I'll be brave enough to try swimming tomorrow - hope the burn won't sting too bad in the chlorine.  I'm tempted to swim in the new wetsuit, but I don't know if pulling neoprene over the burn on my calf would do some serious damage.  I don't think there is a way to put on a wetsuit without serious pulling involved.  Can you put BodyGlide over a tire burn?

Welcome to all the new members.  I am excited to get to know everyone and hear all your wonderful stories.
2009-04-13 2:16 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
Can I get in? 
Reuben
35, Married 12 years in August, 3 kids - soon to be 10 year old son and 8 and 4 year old girls.

I've been an athlete as long as I can remember.  However, college slowed me down with about 120 pounds of pizza and beer.  About three years ago I went from 330 to 265 over the winter and have stayed there.  BTW, I am 6'9"  A friend convinced me to run the Indy 500 Mini-marathon which I am ready for.  This will be my first race of any type.  But I am tired of only running so I bought a bike and have started on it.  What I find odd about me saying "tired of running" is I never liked running.  Now I absolutely enjoy running (get irritated if I don't get out), but I want to add to the challenge.

Planning for my first sprint in August.  My only concern for this distance is the swim.  I haven't swam any distance since high school gym class.

I have a neighbor that I run with quite a bit that did IM Louisville last year and is training for Florida now.  We went to watch him finish which was a real rush just watching.  That got me thinking.  I still didn't start running until about November.  As soon as I finish the mini (May 2) I plan to get full bore into tri training.

My biggest training problem will be scheduling.  My older daughter plays softball and my son is one two baseball teams.  One is a good travel team which played nearly 80 games last summer.  The tournaments really eat up my weekends.

I can't explain how excited (and nervous) I am to start this journey.  More importantly my wife and kids are excited for me to do it as well.

2009-04-13 2:33 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
HollyW - 2009-04-13 11:06 AM

Hello All,

~Holly

I have found it difficult to maintain a steady schedule of weight training since jumping into this world. Although, I do try do a bunch of core stuff on the days at the gym when I ride the stationary. But that being said, if i had the time I would probably be able to fit it in. Damn Family committments! One thing I've noticed is in the last 6 months or so(since starting the Tri-type training) that my Triceps are getting MASSIVE!! Cool Well not really, but with all the swimming the tri's are definitely getting bigger, but I've probably sacrificed some of the biceps.
2009-04-13 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2081333

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-04-13 12:46 PM
fattyfatfat - 2009-04-13 2:17 PM

YES WELCOME!!!

SWEET THANKS!!!

HA, see how many posts I have <----  I have been here just about 1 year... I spend way too much time on BTLaughing

Welcome everyone.  This is a great group.  We all pitch in and answer questions from our own experiences and or reading so don't be shy, if you know the answer to a question feel free to reply.

Tony is not lying............Here is on here all day long...Every time I sign in, here he is.....Just wait until he brings out his Japanese spreadsheets!
2009-04-13 2:44 PM

User image

Regular
HollyW - 2009-04-13 12:06 PM

Hello All,

~Holly

Hey Holly,

I can't speak from an endurance athlete's perspective (yet) but I can from someone that lifted 5-6 times per week.  As the season has progressed my weight training has gone down.  I may hit the weights once or twice a week, depending.  If I have to cut something out, weights go first.

It's much harder to build strength than to maintain it.  If strength is what you're after, I suggest a 5x5 program consisting mostly of compound exercises (squats, military press, deadlifts, bench press, and one or two others should make up the bulk of your strength-training) in order to hit your core a lot.  If you concentrate on these 4 for 2-3 months your strenght will go up dramatically.  Given that more race-specific muscles are hit during your workouts, I'd just concentrate on the compound exercises to increase overall strength. 

maybe go into the gym on mondays and thursdays, do a 5x5 of squats, military press, straight-leg deadlifts, and bench press (after proper warmup) and call it a day. make sure that you track your progress and you ADD WEIGHT EVERY SINGLE WEEK to each exercise, even if it's 5lbs, 2.5lbs, whatever, as long as the weight goes up.  Shouldn't take you more than 45 mins in the gym
2009-04-13 3:00 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Name: James Ford

Memphis, TN (Bartlett)

Story: Did alot of running in college and did my 1st Tri. Continued running, but lost the bug to swim and bike, then got married, had kids yadda yadda yadda. Last spring I decided I was going to quit dipping and get in shape again. I went cold turkey and kicked a 15 year habit. Last year I completed 4 sprint triathlons, 1 Olympic a duathlon and 1 dash N Splash. My goal this year is to complete the same schedule, but I really want to crush those times from last year. I have already completed 1 sprint this year and I can see that a winter's worth of running, swimming and trainer rides has helped, so I am excited about this year.

2009 Races: Memphis in May Olympic, Dragonfly Sprint, MightyMite Sprint, CATS Sprint and Fit City Sprint. Next year I am aiming to finish my first HIM.

Family

2009-04-13 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2078410

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
ShawnR - 2009-04-11 6:48 PM

2009 Races: Buffalo Sprint, Timberman (Grand Rapids) Olympic, Brewhouse Long course (Take 2) and Muskoka HIM

Weightloss: Not the goal but certainly feeling better

Hey Shawn Welcome to the gropu and great to hear someone else from the area is going to do the Muskoka 70.3. Love to compare notes with you nad the other here about training for a HIM. I am just getting caught up on the posts so please excuse my late response to your intro.

2009-04-13 3:11 PM

User image

Pro
Sent from crackberry. Ruben. Welcome! Good luck with this crew! Whatever your dreams are we will make sure you get there!
2009-04-13 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Being a girl and a plate of freshly baked cookies works wonders.  My LBS can fix my wheel (not have to replace it) and have it to me tomorrow!  The scary part is, I made a deal with myself that if I didn't have to buy a new wheel I would do a last minute Olympic this saturday!  Now that I've written it down I guess I'm committed.   I never thought I would be at a level where I could do a "last minute Olympic" but since my Half is in 3 weeks this will be an excellent training exercise.   The only down side it the water temp, between 60-70 degrees!   Freakin' cold!  But it will be a lovely 75degree day on Saturday.  Besides, I'm hard right?  HTFU and RACE!!! 

Edited by tahrens 2009-04-13 3:26 PM
2009-04-13 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!

Holly. I do weight training all thorugh the training schedule I follow. I am not trying to gain more muscle mass just keep what I have at a very high level. As a result I basicallly do not reduce my weight training throughout the year. What I do is on a recovery week I reduce them the same as I reduce the overall trainng and then back at it the next week. Having said that I had better get off my backside and get over to the gym for a workout of some kind. I haven't done anything for a few days thanks to my cold and I feel guilty even telling you guys about it.

Janet. LIKE TOTALLY AWESOME ON YOUR PB!!!!!!!!!   WAY TO GO. (and yes I am shouting it out to you

2009-04-13 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2081278

User image

Expert
B'ham
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group- LOCKED UP!! FOCUSED!
swbkrun - 2009-04-13 11:22 AM

Alright here we go.... Here is the list of names: (Late comers, Friends, and Previous members welcome ANYTIME!)

Matt-Cadmus ("I work now and don't use BT at work"...SELLOUT !)

Well, I did give up recreational use of the web for Lent - which is over so I should be around more.  Still pretty busy at work though.

Check out the little guy in his Easter duds....

(DSC00854.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DSC00854.JPG (9KB - 25 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383