BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-04-21 11:13 PM
in reply to: #2082292

User image

Regular
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed!
Hey, guys -- just got in from a short run and Zumba class and racquetball. Woo! I kind of screwed up the run, though -- too fast! I was pretty wiped by the time I got to zumba, and by the time I got to racquetball I was just plain out of it. No matter, right? I got it done!

Unfortunately, I also got hit in the face with a racquet, so it was a relatively short session.

What are you guys up to?

2009-04-22 6:17 AM

User image

Day offCool . May have to do a short run with the recruits but I had hoped to get a run in yesterday just had to choose so I got on the bike. week and 1/2 out any suggestions on tapering down??
2009-04-22 6:26 AM
in reply to: #2101712

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Nimhendrix - 2009-04-21 11:13 PM Hey, guys -- just got in from a short run and Zumba class and racquetball. Woo! I kind of screwed up the run, though -- too fast! I was pretty wiped by the time I got to zumba, and by the time I got to racquetball I was just plain out of it. No matter, right? I got it done! Unfortunately, I also got hit in the face with a racquet, so it was a relatively short session. What are you guys up to?

Sounds like a busy day.  Ouch on the racquet to the face though!  Hope you're okay
2009-04-22 6:48 AM
in reply to: #2101861

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
fungi32 - 2009-04-22 6:17 AM Day offCool . May have to do a short run with the recruits but I had hoped to get a run in yesterday just had to choose so I got on the bike. week and 1/2 out any suggestions on tapering down??

Okay, looking at your logs you appear to be in pretty well prepared.  The sprint distance will require 3-5 day taper, some people will even say 2-3 days, but since this is your first tri I would say 5 days seems reasonable.  Starting the Monday before the race I would cut your volume to 60-70% of your regular duration.  It is okay to up the intensity of these workouts some to compensate for the decreased volume.

You'll also want Thursday and Friday to be pretty light.  Thursday I would recommend a light 1-2 mile run.  I would aim to take Friday off from running completely and do a short swim focused on form and a light spin on the bike.  Some people like to take the day before the race off completely, but personally in the past when I've done that I've felt real sluggish come race day.    
2009-04-22 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2098670

User image

New user

you mentioned posting the group table on our profile page...sorry to seem ignorant but how do we do this? I'm actually really good at computers but maybe this new exercise is clouding my brain

Edited by leilamckinney 2009-04-22 5:09 PM
2009-04-22 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2103632

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
leilamckinney - 2009-04-22 5:08 PM you mentioned posting the group table on our profile page...sorry to seem ignorant but how do we do this? I'm actually really good at computers but maybe this new exercise is clouding my brain

I think I finally got the table figured out.  I had to slog through some html (which I know nothing about) but it appears to be working.  All you will need to do is highlight the table below and past it into your dashboard.  The dashboard is at the top of your log.  Just click on the edit button and it should open.  Let me know if you have problems.  I have had my fair share of frustrations copying tables.

Disturbed275's Mentor Group

GROUP THREAD
Disturbed275 - Neal
fungi32 - Kip
jeffbank2 - Jeff
njcavill65 - Cav
lewist - Travis
b
rig985- Brigid
thebrayon - Luc
mammJaS
Nimhendrix - Nicki
fire eagle- Darren
leilamckinney - Leila
cmgonzolez - Cristina
sundevil87 - Thom
Ryden111 - Ryan
thortonma - Mark

2009-04-22 9:17 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Okay, there has been some interest in setting up a transition area so here is what I have found that generally works for me:

First off you will rack your bike on an aluminum bar along with several other bikes.  You can rack it either by resting the handlebars of the bike on the rack or the nose of seat, whichever works.  Personally I prefer to rack it by the seat so its facing the direction that I'm ready to run.  The area under your bike and about a 1-2 foot space to one side OR the other is generally all you will need to set up.

I will bring a towel to set down alongside the bike.  At the top end (the end furthest from me) of the towel I will place my running shoes.  I leave the tongue open for easy entry and will sprinkle some baby powder inside to make them easier to slip into as well.   Under the shoes I will place my race number, which is attached to a race number belt.  I would highly recommend buying a race number belt.  They can be found for about 10 bucks and allow you to clip your number onto the belt rather than safety pin it to your shirt.  One caveat here is that some races will require the race number to be worn on the bike portion.  In that case the race number belt goes under my bike shoes.  Next, I place my cap/visor on top of my running shoes.

The bike shoes should be placed on the towel in front of the running shoes, with the clasps open for easy entry.  If you plan on wearing socks leave them on top of the shoes.  One tip I've found that works well for socks is to put them on before a race, then roll them down your foot to remove so you're left with a donut shape.  Then, come transition time, you stick your toes in the opening and roll the sock on.  It's much easier than tugging on a wet sock.

I also leave a bare spot of towel in front of the bike shoes to stand on and wipe the feet if necessary.  Some people will leave a water bottle to wash off their feet.  You'd be amazed on how much sand and dirt you can pick up running from the beach to transition.  I will also leave any nutrition I am taking along on the run on the towel somewhere

I will usually leave my bike helmet resting on my aerobars, top down, with sunglasses on the inside.  I suspect most of you won't have aerobars so you can leave the helmet next to the bike shoes on the towel.

With all that set up you should be able to come into T1, strip the wetsuit off if you're wearing one, put on the bike shoes, put on sunglasses, put on helmet, grab your bike and go.  T2 you will rack your bike, remove helmet and shoes, put on cap/visor, put on shoes, put on race number belt and go.

One thing that will help with this is practice.  Set up a transition area and go through both T1 and T2 as sort of a mock trial.  You could even work this into an actual workout if you wanted to.

I'm sure there will be questions so let em rip
2009-04-22 9:20 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Here's a link to a good video for you visual people detailing what I just covered and more:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1488
2009-04-23 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Gee, this is a quiet group.  So what does everyone one have on tap today for training?  I'll be running and swimming with my tri group tonight.  Hopefully we take it easy as I have a half mary in 2 days!
2009-04-23 10:14 AM

User image

Regular
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Well...I had to go out of town unexpectedly, which derailed my standing W run. I am seriously sleep-deprived, and so is my partner. (We both have a lot going on with the Twilight Criterium being this weekend, and with finals and blah blah blah.) So, I decided to go out and do the distance, but not do it at pace -- I did 2.4 miles at about 13 minutes a mile.

Tonight is my racquetball practice night, so I'll get in at least an hour of hard-charging play. I'm trying to decide if I should add a quick swim workout, too, since that's something I need to get back into my routine.

And then tomorrow my partner and I are trail running at 6:30 a.m.

There's so much going on this weekend that I feel like I'm not taking advantage of it by being not yet ready for prime time. The Twilight Criterium is a huge and fun event, and I will be there as a spectator. But I am also doing the 5k on Saturday morning -- wish me luck!

And then my running group should be running Sunday morning, but we'll see how I feel about that.
2009-04-23 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2105030

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada

Well I will do some biking on the trainer tonight while watching the hockey game (Pit vs. Phil) followed be a short run. I just bought a new pair of snickers and want to try them out. I did 15 Km yesterday and did not feel any pain in my left foot. I think I just found out why I had that pain. When I get tired, my toes start to bend and point downwards slightly. It probably puts pressure on the bones on the top of my foot with each hit. I tried running with toes strait, and I don't feel the pain anymore.....I hope that is the cure.....  anybody with a more scientific explanation

Question for everybody: after how many Km (or miles) do you replace your snickers?

2009-04-23 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2105452

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
thebrayon - 2009-04-23 11:15 AM

Well I will do some biking on the trainer tonight while watching the hockey game (Pit vs. Phil) followed be a short run. I just bought a new pair of snickers and want to try them out. I did 15 Km yesterday and did not feel any pain in my left foot. I think I just found out why I had that pain. When I get tired, my toes start to bend and point downwards slightly. It probably puts pressure on the bones on the top of my foot with each hit. I tried running with toes strait, and I don't feel the pain anymore.....I hope that is the cure.....  anybody with a more scientific explanation

Question for everybody: after how many Km (or miles) do you replace your snickers?

Mmmmmm.....snickers

I'm guessing you meant sneakers   The general rule of thumb that I've gone by is replacing every 300-400 miles.  Usually I will buy a new pair at 300 miles and rotate it in.  If I start to feel discomfort with the old pair I will take them out of the rotation.

As far as the toe thing goes, your explanation sounds good to me.  I can't think that running with slightly bent toes would be a good thing
2009-04-23 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2105228

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Nimhendrix - 2009-04-23 10:14 AM Well...I had to go out of town unexpectedly, which derailed my standing W run. I am seriously sleep-deprived, and so is my partner. (We both have a lot going on with the Twilight Criterium being this weekend, and with finals and blah blah blah.) So, I decided to go out and do the distance, but not do it at pace -- I did 2.4 miles at about 13 minutes a mile. Tonight is my racquetball practice night, so I'll get in at least an hour of hard-charging play. I'm trying to decide if I should add a quick swim workout, too, since that's something I need to get back into my routine. And then tomorrow my partner and I are trail running at 6:30 a.m. There's so much going on this weekend that I feel like I'm not taking advantage of it by being not yet ready for prime time. The Twilight Criterium is a huge and fun event, and I will be there as a spectator. But I am also doing the 5k on Saturday morning -- wish me luck! And then my running group should be running Sunday morning, but we'll see how I feel about that.

Sounds busy!  Enjoy the cycling race!  I bet its a lot  of fun.

And a 5k this weekend?  Great!  Have fun and good luck!
2009-04-23 12:53 PM

User image

Swam this morning felt good, bike ride this evening.I replace my shoes every 250-300 but I am a very heavy runner, (trying to be not so heavy a runnerSmile)

Edited by fungi32 2009-04-23 12:56 PM
2009-04-23 1:04 PM

User image

Regular
Evening Team, greetings from an unusually warm and sunny England! Looks like everybody is training well, I'm having a pretty steady week as I have a race on Sunday. I'm doing a sprint tri in a small town called Lincoln, very pretty and historic place. Pool based 400m swim, 22k bike (nasty killer hill at 2k - boo hiss) and then a 5k run. I'm really looking forward to it, legs are a bit heavy as I've run about 26 miles this week so will have a couple of quiet days before Sunday. There's just over 300 hundred taking part, I'm off at 8.22am as I'm one of the slow swimmers, hope to pull a bit back on the bike and run. Can't wait bring it on, race report will be on here Sunday, wish me luck!

Have a crazy day peeps!

Cav x

'I can run, I love to run, I will run and I will run until I can run no more'
2009-04-23 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2094658

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Open!
disturbed275 - 2009-04-19 3:29 AM

Cav,  is your log private?  Checking everyone's log periodically gives me a chance to see what you are doing for training and will allow me to give advice accordingly.  Plus I love using the inspire feature on this site

Try it now buddy let me know if you can gain access?

2009-04-23 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado

So - now I'm a bit bummed.  Looks like I'll be doing more training before my first race.  I had scheduled a sprint in a town called Gelnhausen for the 3rd of May - well, apparently not.  The hazzards of not completely understanding the language.  Tri is becoming very popular - and while there are plenty of other races throughout Germany on the same weekend they are all already closed.   I can't do the next two weekends because of other events -then I'm off on a Western med cruise and then when I get back - our move to the States.  I guess my first race will be the Oly in Quakertown.  I better check that I am in fact registered for that.

I'm not too concerned, my base training is solid enough to do the oly first up - I'm just bummed I'm going to have to shelve my first race.  It was a C race, but nevertheless I'm bummed.  Maybe I'll do my own sprint - I know how far to swim, I have a power meter on the bike and I wear a Polar S625x watch with foot pod so I can measure 5k.

I got a good run in this AM.  My training challenge is getting in two sessions in a day during the week.  It primarily affects my swimming since the pools I go to don't open until 9AM and that's too late for me.  I commute about 50 min - to an hour each day and don't get home until between 7 and 8 - too late for me to head to the pool on most days.  I'm adjusting my schedule to try and complete enough runs or bikes to leave time on the weekend for swims on Sat / Sun. I'll have to see how that works.

Come on June - a move, a new location, and a new schedule, one that is hopefully more Triathlon friendly.

Thom

2009-04-23 2:41 PM

New user

Milwaukee
Finally!  A nice day arrived in Milwaukee.  I took the opportunity to take my inaugural outdoor run, and it was rough.  I've never been much of a runner, so I'd love to hear any advice people have about building endurance.  I find myself fighting the desire to take a breather and walk for awhile, and I really want to be able to run continuously.  Any thoughts?
2009-04-23 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2106061

User image

Regular
brig985 - 2009-04-23 8:41 PM

Finally!  A nice day arrived in Milwaukee.  I took the opportunity to take my inaugural outdoor run, and it was rough.  I've never been much of a runner, so I'd love to hear any advice people have about building endurance.  I find myself fighting the desire to take a breather and walk for awhile, and I really want to be able to run continuously.  Any thoughts?

four years ago i was in the same boat, and now I've done a marathon so there is hope. My thoughts are not to expect too much too soon, try a walk a bit run a bit routine and gradually increase the distance and the percentage time running until its 100%. Here's a couple of useful sites that may help

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-261--9397-1-1X5-3...

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Above all just think that every step you take, every session you complete means you'll be getting fitter and stronger.

Cav x
2009-04-23 3:42 PM

User image

Regular
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
*Maybe I'll do my own sprint*

I like that idea.

brig, you and I are in much the same boat. I mostly try to bribe myself. As in when I feel like I want to stop, I make myself go another :30. Then I walk for :30 and then I pick it back up. Over a 5k, I'll walk for :30 maybe 4-5 times. I'm looking forward to that day when I can run the whole thing, though! Maybe we'll get there together.
2009-04-23 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2105816

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Open!
njcavill65 - 2009-04-23 1:09 PM
disturbed275 - 2009-04-19 3:29 AM Cav, is your log private? Checking everyone's log periodically gives me a chance to see what you are doing for training and will allow me to give advice accordingly. Plus I love using the inspire feature on this site
Try it now buddy let me know if you can gain access?

Access granted.  Thank you!

Best of luck on the tri this weekend.  I'll be eagerly awaiting the race report

2009-04-23 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2105967

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
sundevil87 - 2009-04-23 2:08 PM

So - now I'm a bit bummed. Looks like I'll be doing more training before my first race. I had scheduled a sprint in a town called Gelnhausen for the 3rd of May - well, apparently not. The hazzards of not completely understanding the language. Tri is becoming very popular - and while there are plenty of other races throughout Germany on the same weekend they are all already closed. I can't do the next two weekends because of other events -then I'm off on a Western med cruise and then when I get back - our move to the States. I guess my first race will be the Oly in Quakertown. I better check that I am in fact registered for that.

I'm not too concerned, my base training is solid enough to do the oly first up - I'm just bummed I'm going to have to shelve my first race. It was a C race, but nevertheless I'm bummed. Maybe I'll do my own sprint - I know how far to swim, I have a power meter on the bike and I wear a Polar S625x watch with foot pod so I can measure 5k.

I got a good run in this AM. My training challenge is getting in two sessions in a day during the week. It primarily affects my swimming since the pools I go to don't open until 9AM and that's too late for me. I commute about 50 min - to an hour each day and don't get home until between 7 and 8 - too late for me to head to the pool on most days. I'm adjusting my schedule to try and complete enough runs or bikes to leave time on the weekend for swims on Sat / Sun. I'll have to see how that works.

Come on June - a move, a new location, and a new schedule, one that is hopefully more Triathlon friendly.

Thom

Bummer about the race.  Sometimes a personal tri can be a fun way of mixing up the training a little bit
2009-04-23 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2106130

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
njcavill65 - 2009-04-23 3:12 PM
brig985 - 2009-04-23 8:41 PM Finally! A nice day arrived in Milwaukee. I took the opportunity to take my inaugural outdoor run, and it was rough. I've never been much of a runner, so I'd love to hear any advice people have about building endurance. I find myself fighting the desire to take a breather and walk for awhile, and I really want to be able to run continuously. Any thoughts?
four years ago i was in the same boat, and now I've done a marathon so there is hope. My thoughts are not to expect too much too soon, try a walk a bit run a bit routine and gradually increase the distance and the percentage time running until its 100%. Here's a couple of useful sites that may help http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-261--9397-1-1X5-3... http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml Above all just think that every step you take, every session you complete means you'll be getting fitter and stronger. Cav x

Great links!  You saved me some time

Walk/run intervals are a very good way to begin building endurance.  Many people both train and race this way
2009-04-23 9:54 PM

New user

Going to spend the day at a bike shop with a friend that is a cycling enthusiast and is excited to help me buy the right bike.  He got me hooked up with a beginner cycling group where he teaches better ways to ride which will help with my first tri.  I have engaged a swim coach for a few lessons to help with my technique. 

I have not exercised the past two days due to being sick.  However, for the first time in my life, I feel "empty" without having exercised so making some strides on commitment!!!
2009-04-24 12:10 AM

New user

Hello everyone, thought I would make a quick post before bed. I go to nursing school online, but the last three days we have been on campus for hands on skills. The school is in a very rural town about four hours from Kansas City. Unfortunately, things have not been coordinated well by the instructors, so 8 hours days became 12, and much of the studying needed to be completed once I left back to my hotel room. Needless to say, It has not been very conducive to starting my new routine. Tomorrow night I will be back in Kansas City and plan to hit the ground running, literally, saturday morning. I am extremely excited to get going. I know being a part of this group will be a huge push that I have never had before.

Good night
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  

of 16