BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2009-12-16 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2555870

Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
I am currently not really following any particular program. Just sort of doing something and hoping increase my base a bit by bit. Every time I come up with a plan, something or other happens, I fall off the plan. So I figured best to just do it.
Got a 30 min walk/run at lunch today (making up for missing yesterday's session). Then tonight some swim - see how I feel once I get to the pool and then think up some stuff to do. Probably like a 4X50, 2X150, 1X200, 4X50. I don't know, something like that.

I do use the training log here. So feel free to check it out any time you guys want.

2009-12-16 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2562839

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
linawalton - 2009-12-16 2:22 PM I am currently not really following any particular program. Just sort of doing something and hoping increase my base a bit by bit. Every time I come up with a plan, something or other happens, I fall off the plan. So I figured best to just do it.
Got a 30 min walk/run at lunch today (making up for missing yesterday's session). Then tonight some swim - see how I feel once I get to the pool and then think up some stuff to do. Probably like a 4X50, 2X150, 1X200, 4X50. I don't know, something like that.

I do use the training log here. So feel free to check it out any time you guys want.

Swimplan.com will spit out swim workouts for you.  I have a dozen or so of varying lengths that I keep in my pool bag.  If I don't feel like doing the longer repeats that I've started doing, I'll pull out one of the index cards that I wrote a swimplan workout on and just do that.

Scout
2009-12-16 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Cool bike, Scout!  No worries about clutter... our FB status today is courtesy of my wife,

"We have a beautiful pine tree standing majestically, unlit and undecorated, in the middle of our living room, surrounded by all the clutter that it displaced. It's a look you won't see featured in the pages of Martha Stewart Living."

I guess that also means we won't be going to jail anytime soon :-)  Anyway, today is a two Christmas party along with a dentist appointment day.  But managed to sneak in a 4 mile run at a good pace for me late afternoon.  Won't make up for the eggnog though :-

You all have already given me a bunch to mull over with regard to training... and thanks again Michael for mentoring us.  This looks like it will be extremely helpful!  Hope you all have a great evening. 
-Stu
2009-12-16 5:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
So all of you folks in the colder climates, where do you swim in the winter and how much does it cost(if you don't mind me asking)?In the summer I'm good, I have a pool in the backyard and I'm a mile or two from the LI sound. I'm trying to come up with an economical solution for the winter. My wife is generally supportive of my hobby as long as I don't spend too much! Which explains why I ride a 1983 Motobecane Grand Record and volunteer at races to defer the cost of future races. Thanks for any advice
2009-12-16 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2561622

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Sammeg - 2009-12-16 8:44 AM
Experior - 2009-12-16 7:14 AMGood morning everyone!  What's on tap for today?

Me (after I pay the bills -- ugh): 

* swimming this morning (trying to make up for the missed swim yesterday -- someone puked in the pool 15 minutes into my swim yesterday; very pleasant indeed!)
* final Christmas shopping (I got paid yesterday!)
* run this afternoon
* take the kids to get a Christmas tree

All in all a full day. I hope you all have a good one.
Todays one of my fun days where I commute into downtown Manhattan, nice 5 hour roundtrip from Long Island. Anyway, hopefully get home in time to get the kids in bed, then I'll hit the treadmill. Have a great day everyone!

5 hour commute?  I think you need to log that as 'mental toughness' training. 
2009-12-16 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2562771

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
scout21 - 2009-12-16 3:07 PM IT'S DONE!  I probably have to tweak the shifting a bit, but my new bike is done.  I bought the new frame - just couldn't turn down a nearly 70% off sale and moved the components from my old bike to the new.  I'll break it in on the trainer later tonight or tomorrow.  Sorry about the crappy picture.  I share my basement with my boy...and he has almost as much crap as I do!

Scout

Nice ride Scout!  I especially like the matching red bottle holders.  Nice touch.

2009-12-16 5:58 PM
in reply to: #2562839

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
linawalton - 2009-12-16 3:22 PM I am currently not really following any particular program. Just sort of doing something and hoping increase my base a bit by bit. Every time I come up with a plan, something or other happens, I fall off the plan. So I figured best to just do it.

I think that 'doing what you feel like' is a good plan!  If that's what gets you out there doing something, then that's the right plan for you.

Right now, I'm pretty much making up my swim workouts on the spot also.  I try to have one drills-focused session (which means warm-up, then drills, then a short cool-down --  that's what's in my logs for today), one speed-focused session (which means lots of short stuff like 50s and 100s with decent rest in between) and one endurance-focused session (100s or longer on a short rest interval, or a ladder, like 100-200-400-400-200-100 or something like that).  I'm slow enough in the pool that frankly I think it doesn't matter much what I do -- anything is going to help!
2009-12-16 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2563269

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Sammeg - 2009-12-16 6:12 PM So all of you folks in the colder climates, where do you swim in the winter and how much does it cost(if you don't mind me asking)?In the summer I'm good, I have a pool in the backyard and I'm a mile or two from the LI sound. I'm trying to come up with an economical solution for the winter. My wife is generally supportive of my hobby as long as I don't spend too much! Which explains why I ride a 1983 Motobecane Grand Record and volunteer at races to defer the cost of future races. Thanks for any advice

I don't live in a colder climate, but outdoor swimming is still pretty much out of the question this time of year.  I teach at a University, so in principle I have free access to a pool.  Unfortunately, it is open for lap swimming not very often.  So I ended up joining the city-run pool.  It is a great swimming facility.  I pay $275/year.
2009-12-16 7:00 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Ted,

I should have mentioned one other thing.  I've heard of swimmers doing 'dry land' exercises when they cannot swim.  It is definitely second best, but I've heard that it helps.  Here's a YouTube video that I've heard people say good things about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D37Ye_ADQ30

I'm VERY far from a swim expert, so I'm just passing on what I've heard from those who are!  the good thing here is that all it costs is the price of some stretch cords ($20 or less).  The downside is that while it will strengthen you, you won't really get to work on technique so much, and technique is a big part of swimming.  (On the third hand, you CAN develop some muscle memory from these exercises if you do them with proper form.)

2009-12-16 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2563269

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Sammeg - 2009-12-16 5:12 PM So all of you folks in the colder climates, where do you swim in the winter and how much does it cost(if you don't mind me asking)?In the summer I'm good, I have a pool in the backyard and I'm a mile or two from the LI sound. I'm trying to come up with an economical solution for the winter. My wife is generally supportive of my hobby as long as I don't spend too much! Which explains why I ride a 1983 Motobecane Grand Record and volunteer at races to defer the cost of future races. Thanks for any advice

I swim year round at the Y.  It's about $60/month, but it's a brand new facility and I do on occasion use the treadmills/etc...  But I mostly swim.

Scout
2009-12-16 8:48 PM

User image

Veteran
DC
Scout- nice work on building up your own bike.  Where did you purchase the frame?

Sammeg- sweet vintage ride...steel is real, as they say.  I've got my father's 1987 Trek 400 and am in the process of bringing it back to life as a modern road bike.  I swapped out the old 6sp drivetrain and am put on a 9spd drivetrain w/Tiagra brifters and FD, as well as 105 RD, crankset and cogs.  I'm just about finished with the project and will pass along photos when it's done.  It's going to be quite the frankenstein bike!

As for swimming, I swim for free at a public high school /park district pool located about a block from my building.  The school draws kids from an area that's a bit rough (lots of gang grafitti in the locker room), but most of the swimmers during the evening are Ukrainian and Polish grandmas.  Couple that with the pulsing salsa music (the lifeguards are Puerto Rican students) and you've got one melting pot of a pool! 

Speaking of swimming, I swam 1200 yards tonight.  I had forgotten what an excellent full-body workout swimming can be...and also how tiring it is.  I am a LOOOOONG way away from swimming 1.2 miles with any amount of speed, but I've got some time.

This group is going to be a really invaluable tool to help myself stay motivated.  Thanks Michael for your time.

2009-12-17 6:40 AM

User image

Expert
Gorgeous sunrise here in Virginia... apparently a warning for snow this weekend.  Not sure whether to hope for a good snow (I generally like snow and would love a white Christmas) or not (I really prefer outdoor training).  Take it as it comes.  Need to get in some Christmas shopping in the next few days too.

Anyway, back to a normal day today after a wonderful gathering last night with friends.  I should have passed on one of the beers and the brownie with ice cream for dessert, but didn't.  Back on the wagon today.  Planning on getting in a 1500 swim at lunch, but with two longer legs in it as opposed to the more sprint work I've been doing over the past two weeks.  Work on the endurance a bit today. 

Ted, I'm just a member in local health club.  About $50/month additional on my wife's membership.  Nice facilities and not crowded pool... usually have a lane to myself.  Any chance you could do a trial membership at a club?  Right now ours is offering a great deal on a 2 month trial membership (like $60).  That's like $3-4 a pop in the pool which is good for around here... plus there's the rest of the equipment.

Mike, enjoyed your description of your local pool.  Made me think of my time in Mexico listening to the Mexican Hip Hop while we worked.  With that rhythm you can't help but pick up your pace.  Have a great day everyone!
2009-12-17 6:47 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Good morning everyone.  What's on tap for today?  Anybody else swimming with Polish grandmas and Puerto Rican life guards?

I have endless meetings all morning, followed, with any luck, by a swim.  More meetings.  Then another torture session on the bike tonight.  We got our Christmas tree last night and decorated while eating Christmas cookies.  I might have eaten one too many.  Embarassed

2009-12-17 7:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Stone Cutter - I bought it at performancebike.com.  The regular price was $599, but it was on sale for $199 (wonder if they were trying to get rid of last years model?)  But then about two weeks ago I got an em from them saying to take another 20% off of orders over $75.  So I paid $160.  Then probably another 50-60 for cables and a bottom bracket tool and supplies.

I have a short 3 mile run on the plan for today.  Not sure if I'll get anything else in today.  I have a piano lesson tonight, and then we have a cub scout pack meeting tonight.

Scout
2009-12-17 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis

Running day today will do in PM. Had a killer spinning class last night. Can't wait for the weather to break and I start riding outside.

2009-12-17 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning all!
  Scout- Great bike!
   Sam- I have a family membership at the Y. I don't get latin music from the lifeguards, but there are plenty of grandma's taking up lanes with their workouts. Gotta say- I'm aa little envious of Mike's pool!

I'm still feeling sick. I'm going to try to muscle my way through some sort of work out today. I'd love to run, but not sure if my lungs will handle it.

Still need to Christmas shop. Luckily, my husband's idea is to get a drumset for the family. Since he's the musician, he's in charge of buying that gift. It cuts down on what I have to do!

2009-12-17 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2564230

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
slow turtle - 2009-12-17 9:06 AM Good morning all!
  Scout- Great bike!

I'm still feeling sick. I'm going to try to muscle my way through some sort of work out today. I'd love to run, but not sure if my lungs will handle it.

Thanks!

If you're not feeling well, at the most I'd say just an easy spin on the bike to keep your legs moving.  You don't want to tax yourself too much and wind up sicker than you already are!

Scout
2009-12-17 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Rainy here in WPB this week so I felt lucky to get a 3 mile run in. Dawn patrol ride scheduled for tomorrow AM and if the wind lies down I'll be able to swim Sat.
2009-12-17 11:19 AM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Scout--Just the fact that it's red makes you and it faster right!!!

One hour spin class last night, 45 minute swim this morning, I swim at a gym, LA Fitness not too far from my house.
Plan to run 5 miles tonight.  It's warming up a little here in So. Cal so maybe I can get the road bike back on the road this weekend.

Have a great day all.

Melinda
2009-12-17 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2564685

User image

Expert
grannygear - 2009-12-17 12:19 PM Scout--Just the fact that it's red makes you and it faster right!!!

One hour spin class last night, 45 minute swim this morning, I swim at a gym, LA Fitness not too far from my house.
Plan to run 5 miles tonight.  It's warming up a little here in So. Cal so maybe I can get the road bike back on the road this weekend.

Have a great day all.

Melinda

Oh...now that just makes me want to cry !
2009-12-17 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2564751

User image

Expert
slow turtle - 2009-12-17 12:50 PM
grannygear - 2009-12-17 12:19 PM Scout--Just the fact that it's red makes you and it faster right!!!

Have a great day all.

Melinda

Oh...now that just makes me want to cry !

x2   Looks like 5"+ of snow for us starting tomorrow night.

2009-12-17 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2563905

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2009-12-17 4:47 AM Good morning everyone.  What's on tap for today?  Anybody else swimming with Polish grandmas and Puerto Rican life guards?

I have endless meetings all morning, followed, with any luck, by a swim.  More meetings.  Then another torture session on the bike tonight.  We got our Christmas tree last night and decorated while eating Christmas cookies.  I might have eaten one too many.  Embarassed

I am swimming tonight plus a core exercise workout after.  I am calling this a recovery week.  I haven't participated in my two morning indoor cycling classes, but am maintaining my running levels from last week with no added mileage and will do 1.5 hr. Sat. Indoor Cycling Class (paid extra for this so I am going regardless).  Also added a Core #3 to Core #1 and #2 exercises this week.  A bit sore in the mid-section from adding Core #3 set. 
2009-12-17 2:54 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
It just turned cold here for real (for us, that means below 40... -- I grew up in Wisconsin, so yes, I know that's not 'real' cold!).  This is the ONLY time of year that I miss the snow.  I hope you all that are getting it can at least have a nice white Christmas.

Off to deal with kids a while.  Keep it up everyone!
2009-12-17 5:34 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
So, I wanted to report that I actually tried out the stretch cord (dry land swimming) exercises that I posted the other day.  It was fortuitous that I was reminded of those, because today I really wanted to swim, but could not make it to the pool.

Here was my experience, which is a little counter to what I wrote whenever I posted the link to the video.  I didn't find there to be much real 'strengthening' effect -- perhaps if I had cords with more tension it would have felt more like strength training, but even then I have my doubts, not because I'm super strong (I'm not!) but because in order to make the end of the 'stroke' even remotely feasible, you have to start at the beginning with very little tension in the cords.  (In the video you can see the guy 'choking up' on the cords by stepping forward, and I think that's why.)  On the other hand, contrary to what I said (but consistent with some things that he says in the video), it does seem to be possible to work on form while doing these exercises.  Indeed, I felt that they were very good for working on high elbow catch and leading with the elbow on recovery -- both things that I need to work on (especially the latter).  One thing that they don't seem to help with is body rotation (another weakness of mine).

All in all, I would recommend these exercises.  I know that I'm going to incorporate them into my weekly workouts, probably by adding them onto the end of my core sessions (for no reason other than convenience -- I'll be in the same room where the stretch cords are).
2009-12-17 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Michael,

You've been great! However, Auquagirl started a mentoring group. Uhm? Should I jump ship? I am pretty shallow. Nawh, I think I'll stay. LOL

Phil
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46