BT Development Mentor Program Archives » sdanaher's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-12-20 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2569950

Nassau County, NY
Subject: RE: sdanaher's Mentor Group - Closed
wabashtriguy17 - I finished in 1:56:30, my goal was to break 2 hours and if I could beat 1:58 (my boss's time) I would be thrilled. Felt great through the entire race, until that long hill once you leave the city which made me wish I did a little bit of hill work during training, but then when I looked down at my watch and realized I was going to beat my time I kind of went all out. The week after I felt like I got hit by a truck though..I think I may have pushed it a bit too hard . Since the race though I've been having a really hard time getting back into my training groove...kind of enjoyed having something to focus towards. What was your experience like?

2009-12-20 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2557483

Regular
, Indiana
I thought the same thing in regards to the HUGE hill.  I was not expecting that thing but was thankful for the GU at the top and the water.  I wish I would have focused more on hills while training, especially later in runs.  So much for the "flat" course haha.  But I thought the whole thing was a lot of fun.  I too wanted to finish under two hours and was running with four friends from school so I was trying to beat them too.  I came in second out of the four with a time of 1:48.  The back of my legs killed the rest of the week which I think was a combination of the running mixed in with the 10 hour drive home about 3 hours after the race.  Overall it was quite enjoyable.
2009-12-20 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2569991

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
David I'm so jealous! That was my goal back in September at the Va. Beach 1/2. I just wanted to break 2hrs. My time was 2:00:06 !!!
I'm doing another one in Feb here in Savannah. It is pretty flat, maybe this time I won't fail.
Good job beating your boss!!

Edited by boxer 2009-12-20 7:36 PM
2009-12-20 7:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Awesome bike advice from Momo above.There are a TON of awesome brands out there and you need to figure out what fits you. It is not just size. There are some brands that are pretty flexible for fit though - Cervelo is one that is known to be pretty flexible.I have a Trek and a Cervelo, my wife rides a Scott. If you intend to stick with Tris, I'd definitely get an aero bar setup - be that a TT bike or just clip ons for a roadie.
2009-12-20 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2569905

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
duvman93 - 2009-12-20 3:35 PM

Hey momo...thanks for the advice. I'm going to head out to my local store after the holidays.When you say Garmin setup, are you referring to using a Gamin watch as a bike computer? I have a forerunner 305 and I think I'm supposed to be able to do that. I guess I'll figure that out. When it comes to purchasing a bike though, I'm a bit nervous about making a large investment in an item i know nothing about. Are there places that allow you to demo a bike for a season? I have absolutely no experience on a road bike so its going to be tough for me to make a decision based on what the bike store guys tell me or what I feel while on a trainer in the store. Any suggestions or just head to the store and see what they have to say?

ok... go out an ride a few bikes.. write down the top 3. and why you like them and why you dont like it.. A given problem will be the saddle.. that is an easy fix.

no, no season demo's that i know of.. lol.

the garmin has some parts, to use inside.. like a cadence, and speedometer.. And HR.. sensors..

you should determine your price point before shopping. it can get expensive real quick.. i would say $800-1100.. maybe.. but this is a good time.. because shops still have a surplus of last years bikes.. and they are normally priced to move.. go all shops.. some shop are more flexible with others.. sometimes they throw in extra stuff so you will buy the bike.. (small shops).
2009-12-20 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2570214

Nassau County, NY
Thanks momo! That's my game plan going forward. I'll hit up some shops early January and see what deals I can get. I figure I have plenty of time to shop as I don't plan on starting serious, scheduled training until the last week of January (vacations scheduled and what not).  

2009-12-21 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
if you buy new from a bike shop, they should be VERY accomodating and help fit you to the bike, measure you on and off the bike.possibly even fit your bike cleats based on your toe-in/toe-out. That stuff really helps. It maximizes your power and also consider flexibility to be "free speed". The longer you can stay in an aerodynamic position comfortably... the faster you will be.Don't get TOO hung up on the specs of the bike, for triathlons aerodynamic is more important than weight, so your frame is the most important thing... fit it, and love it.
2009-12-21 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
if you buy new from a bike shop, they should be VERY accomodating and help fit you to the bike, measure you on and off the bike.possibly even fit your bike cleats based on your toe-in/toe-out. That stuff really helps. It maximizes your power and also consider flexibility to be "free speed". The longer you can stay in an aerodynamic position comfortably... the faster you will be.Don't get TOO hung up on the specs of the bike, for triathlons aerodynamic is more important than weight, so your frame is the most important thing... fit it, and love it.
2009-12-21 10:09 AM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Hey Boxer, the next time you get inspired to run at midnight - go do it! I ended up running late last night, and because the trail at the local metropark was pretty dry, ran there - it was all snow and dark pavement and the sunset (and then the crescent moon) and about 200 Canada geese. Definitely my best run in a long time, and made all the treadmill time last week seem worthwhile.

On the bike front, if you find something you like, don't be afraid to shop used. I'm a huge supporter of my LBS, but tri bikes are sometimes bought on a whim and discarded when the user realizes they didn't really want to do the sport... they're not exactly comfortable cruisers.

If you know exactly what size/style you want, shopping online (eBay, forums, etc) can be pretty rewarding. I bought a silly-above-my-level Quintana Roo Ti-Phoon that was a few years old for 1/4 of the original purchase price. It had been ridden six times. (And after receiving it, in mint condition, I can confirm that the six times may have been an over-estimation.) Score!

Heather
2009-12-21 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2570964

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
HNewman - 2009-12-21 10:09 AMHey Boxer, the next time you get inspired to run at midnight - go do it! I ended up running late last night, and because the trail at the local metropark was pretty dry, ran there - it was all snow and dark pavement and the sunset (and then the crescent moon) and about 200 Canada geese. Definitely my best run in a long time, and made all the treadmill time last week seem worthwhile.

On the bike front, if you find something you like, don't be afraid to shop used. I'm a huge supporter of my LBS, but tri bikes are sometimes bought on a whim and discarded when the user realizes they didn't really want to do the sport... they're not exactly comfortable cruisers.

If you know exactly what size/style you want, shopping online (eBay, forums, etc) can be pretty rewarding. I bought a silly-above-my-level Quintana Roo Ti-Phoon that was a few years old for 1/4 of the original purchase price. It had been ridden six times. (And after receiving it, in mint condition, I can confirm that the six times may have been an over-estimation.) Score!

Heather

Yep - me too. I bought my Cervelo P2 used. Great bike. Love it. Actually, bought my roadie used too.

That said, I support my LBS a lot buying most everything else from them except gear that Sugoi sells since they let me into their Brand Champion program.
2009-12-21 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2570964

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Heather that's great inspiration!!!
Promise I'll do it next time. If you can do it when it's cold and snowy outside, I have no excuse when here in Savannah we haven't even had our first frost.

I already have a tri bike that I got online for a great price too. I found a brand new (previous year's model) Cervelo P2SL DuraAce for almost half it's MRSP!!! and I love it!!I also picked up a Spinning bike from my neighbors trash!!! She trades on e-bay and I guess she could not sell it.
I would really like to get a regular road bike, but that's gonna have to wait a bit.
I bought my wife a cruiser, Nirve Lahaina in pink, for xmass! That bike is a piece of art!! and so comfortable. I think she's gonna love it!!

2009-12-21 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2571462

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
sdanaher - 2009-12-21 1:42 PM
HNewman - 2009-12-21 10:09 AMHey Boxer, the next time you get inspired to run at midnight - go do it! I ended up running late last night, and because the trail at the local metropark was pretty dry, ran there - it was all snow and dark pavement and the sunset (and then the crescent moon) and about 200 Canada geese. Definitely my best run in a long time, and made all the treadmill time last week seem worthwhile.

Heather

Yep - me too. I bought my Cervelo P2 used. Great bike. Love it. Actually, bought my roadie used too.

That said, I support my LBS a lot buying most everything else from them except gear that Sugoi sells since they let me into their Brand Champion program.

Shane I got the same bike!! It's a P2SL 2008, so it's still aluminum. Sweeet ride!
I checked the brandchampions.sugoi gear, PRETTY COOL STUFF!!! Most of my tri gear is regular Sugoi, really good value.

(07cervelop2sl.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
07cervelop2sl.jpg (49KB - 11 downloads)
2009-12-21 3:38 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
Ok silly question time.
  does anyone have any tips for running in the snow?
2009-12-21 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2571725

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Blinddave - 2009-12-21 3:38 PMOk silly question time.

Snow? Never heard of it in Virginia Beach.
2009-12-21 5:43 PM
in reply to: #2571880

Nassau County, NY
i'm fiending a run in the snow...between the rain...freezing cold night/early am temps i've run outside once in the past 3 weeks. i absolutely hate the treadmill. 
2009-12-21 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2571725

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Blinddave - 2009-12-21 4:38 PM

Ok silly question time.

yea.. treadmill.. (i hate the treadmill, btw)

2009-12-21 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2571599

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
boxer - 2009-12-21 3:43 PM

sdanaher - 2009-12-21 1:42 PM

Heather

Shane I got the same bike!! It's a P2SL 2008, so it's still aluminum. Sweeet ride!
I checked the brandchampions.sugoi gear, PRETTY COOL STUFF!!! Most of my tri gear is regular Sugoi, really good value.

nice ride.. i bought both my bikes new.. gotta a great deal ..

(s22big.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
s22big.jpg (39KB - 11 downloads)
2009-12-21 8:40 PM

Regular
, Indiana
In regards to the treadmill...worst thing to run on.  I ran 5 miles one day on one and had to keep telling myself one more mile, one more mile just to finish the workout...never again
2009-12-21 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2572145

User image

Chelsea, MI
Seriously! After yesterday, I found myself plotting about how low I could go with my ragtag assortment of winter training gear. I signed up for a couple of outdoor training groups in January, though, so apparently I'm going to find out... and it'll be worth it. Treadmill, ugh.
2009-12-21 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
I used to hate the treadmill but I travel all the time and it became a necesity. There's certain places where you just can't go out for run. Security being the most constraining reason. One day (seriously) I decided I couldn't hate it no more. It is a tool to achieve something and is MUCH better than not getting your workout at all. I won't say I love it and I will always run outside if I can, but when you are two weeks from a race and you find yourself in a hotel in Beijing, Mexico just to name a few, the treadmill is your friend.
The antidote for boredom: iPod.  Invest some time in putting together some killer playlists. I also learn to watch TV, some good action shows or whatever your thing is. Time won't fly, but it certainly will go faster.
I did a 2 and half hr bike (spinning) followed by a 60 minute run (tradmill) brick in a YMCA and it's all about getting in "the groove" if nothing else, don't think negative "I hate this-I hate this" don't look at the watch every 5 minutes or the distance every 0.1 mile.
Not long ago I would never say this, but again the treadmill is just a tool that allows you to achieve something you need.......
2009-12-21 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2571940

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Dude! Momo, what a sweet ride!!!! All carbon, sram, can't as for more!!!
Do you have racing wheels?
I asked Santa for a set but it ain't happening this year!!!     (getting the wetsuit, can't complain)

Edited by boxer 2009-12-21 9:14 PM

2009-12-22 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2572194

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
boxer - 2009-12-21 10:08 PM

I used to hate the treadmill but I travel all the time and it became a necesity. There's certain places where you just can't go out for run. Security being the most constraining reason. One day (seriously) I decided I couldn't hate it no more. It is a tool to achieve something and is MUCH better than not getting your workout at all. I won't say I love it and I will always run outside if I can, but when you are two weeks from a race and you find yourself in a hotel in Beijing, Mexico just to name a few, the treadmill is your friend.
The antidote for boredom: iPod.  Invest some time in putting together some killer playlists. I also learn to watch TV, some good action shows or whatever your thing is. Time won't fly, but it certainly will go faster.
I did a 2 and half hr bike (spinning) followed by a 60 minute run (tradmill) brick in a YMCA and it's all about getting in "the groove" if nothing else, don't think negative "I hate this-I hate this" don't look at the watch every 5 minutes or the distance every 0.1 mile.
Not long ago I would never say this, but again the treadmill is just a tool that allows you to achieve something you need.......

Yea... i had to make peace with the treadmill... i travel as well with work.. some places requires the security standpoint.. some are just to hot!. But never the less the treadmill is still a dreadful experience.. lol
2009-12-22 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2572203

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
boxer - 2009-12-21 10:12 PM

Dude! Momo, what a sweet ride!!!! All carbon, sram, can't as for more!!!
I asked Santa for a set but it ain't happening this year!!!     (getting the wetsuit, can't complain)

Thanks... my bike has been good to me.. No carbon wheels yet. but sometime soon.. hopefully before my Half Ironman in June..
2009-12-22 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2572621

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
momo - 2009-12-22 8:07 AM
boxer - 2009-12-21 10:12 PMDude! Momo, what a sweet ride!!!! All carbon, sram, can't as for more!!!
Thanks... my bike has been good to me.. No carbon wheels yet. but sometime soon.. hopefully before my Half Ironman in June..
Momo: I might be letting go of my race wheels before eagleman for a different set. I have the Reynolds 66mm tubulars.I'm thinking of getting a new frame, so I might get their wheels too (Planet-X).
2009-12-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2572668

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
sdanaher - 2009-12-22 9:25 AM

momo - 2009-12-22 8:07 AM
boxer - 2009-12-21 10:12 PMDude! Momo, what a sweet ride!!!! All carbon, sram, can't as for more!!!
Momo: I might be letting go of my race wheels before eagleman for a different set. I have the Reynolds 66mm tubulars.I'm thinking of getting a new frame, so I might get their wheels too (Planet-X).

Nice.. just let me know..

Shane are you on facebook? Do you go to downtown y? i ask because ive been posting stuff on the group i created.. trainings here and there. i have a 90 to 120 min spin session, with maybe a swim afterwards.. if you wanna come.. 0800 to 1100.. spin first swim after..
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » sdanaher's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 11