BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-12-21 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2570722

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, Fl
Subject: RE: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" Open
triritter - 2009-12-21 8:42 AM

Ok here is the offical group. I would like it if some of you all posted a picture or two so I can associate a face with the name or add me on facebook. Oh yeah and ask questions of what you want to know, that is how you are going to learn in this group, since there is so much info to cover in triathlon, I want you to ask specific questions. If I don't know the answer I know someone who does.

antlimon166
drkelly
kpar
smeador
TriPatrick
eca712
Ironman7
lvernon
mcassat
mskjs
muddycreek
StrayDog

Noticed that I wasn't on the list, thought I was in... typo? or did I miss the callbacks? Still very much interested.
 Cheers,
Bear 

2009-12-21 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2570722

User image

Veteran
Great! I am glad I am in. I noticed that everyone has posted a bio of some sort or another...uh...humm....I guess I was supposed to do that. Pardon. I had not logged on much yesterday.

BIO:
I am Jeff. Hey from CA. I have four kids 18, 17, 14 and 11. Two girls and two boys in that order. One College student, two Highschoolers and one Middle. I am an RN and Legal Nurse Consultant in my other spare time. Mainly I practice in the Surgical arena.

I started training to improve my wieght. I went from 203 to my present 164 lbs. I started that as a rib to myself and then it turned into a biggest loser challenge at work then it kinda felt good and then it became soccer until there were no friends in my age group to play soccer with. So, after long thoughts of purpose, I wanted to be around for my kids my grandskids etc. and I wanted to live longer than my Dad. (He past at the age of 53 ,I believe due to poor lifestyle). Therefore...ta da ..the answer was to Tri.

I have not done a Tri yet. I am certainly a beginner. I have run some races and in the past I have been active in Football, Soccer from Highschool to College to the Navy. Now I just sort of run around the mountains here and I am looking for a new purpose ...the new current thought is to make some friends and to compete agaist some age grouper type people, but the ultimate purpose is to create a new life style of activity that permeates generations to come.

William thanks for taking the time here I sure I don't have to speak for the others when I say we all appreciate it.

Ok then, off to my swim and perhaps a bike in the rain.  Energized, Jeff.
2009-12-21 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2563913

Subject: RE: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED!
It's good to see some others in the group that are as new to this as I am?As far as what I want to learn from this, for me it's basically several things 1- tips and pointers on what I could be doing better as far as workout schedule and specifics, 2- the whole 'shared experience' thing (I can't seem to get anyone here very worked up about starting in triathlons), and 3- somebody to help hold me accountable.I can be quite a backslider, and my three-event March to September schedule is designed to give me just enough on the horizon to keep working constantly. I'm really good with diet, until I'm really bad- occasionally beer/wine, more often dessert. I've been remarkably restrained since Thanksgiving, but I do not plan on being restrained at all for Christmas, so sue me.
2009-12-21 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2572068

User image

Veteran
muddycreek - 2009-12-21 8:52 PM It's good to see some others in the group that are as new to this as I am?As far as what I want to learn from this, for me it's basically several things 1- tips and pointers on what I could be doing better as far as workout schedule and specifics, 2- the whole 'shared experience' thing (I can't seem to get anyone here very worked up about starting in triathlons), and 3- somebody to help hold me accountable.I can be quite a backslider, and my three-event March to September schedule is designed to give me just enough on the horizon to keep working constantly. I'm really good with diet, until I'm really bad- occasionally beer/wine, more often dessert. I've been remarkably restrained since Thanksgiving, but I do not plan on being restrained at all for Christmas, so sue me.

Hey Jon, I feel your pain- asked everyone I know to do a race with me, and did not get a single taker. Most of my friends live in Manhattan and are all about that scene- I'm kind of over it and am just waiting until I'm done with school until I can move out of NY and to someplace beautiful and outdoorsy. My fam is especially unenthusiastic- they just don't get it. So good thing groups like this exist!
2009-12-21 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
OK, so question #1: if we're beginners, should we worry about heart rates? I have a really simple monitor (doesn't log an average HR or anything- just tells me at that moment what my HR is) and got my resting and max HRs. I saw an article, maybe here on BT (oh yeah, here it is: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/HRMoniterPartII.h... that the majority of our workouts should be in the "endurance" zone (70-75% of our MHR) and the "tempo/threshold" zone (80-90% of our MHR). Is this something good to focus on at this stage? I haven't worked out a training plan yet- I have a pro friend who I'm going to ask, so I'd like to know if I should ask her to tell me what my target HR should be for each workout. Sorry, this is kind of rambling... Thoughts from the veterans?
2009-12-21 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
OK and question #2, while we're at it. Has anyone ever read the book Chi Running? I got it after I read tons of reviews on Amazon from people who said the book improved their form vastly. I think I need that- I've always struggled with shin splints, to the point where after a 5K I thought I had fractured my tibia (who knows, maybe I did). Now it's something a little different- every time I've tried to run in the past few months, the muscles in my shins seize up almost immediately. From what I've read online, it kind of sounds like compartment syndrome, but maybe not as severe. I just don't know why, of all the muscles in my legs, my shins would be working the hardest! That's why I think it must be due to my form. I have a moderate case of scoliosis (wore a night brace in high school- yeah, I was pretty cool) and I think it has my whole body out of whack, leading to poor form.

So anyway. That's why I bought Chi Running. I haven't gotten too far into it, but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about it. I'm just kind of dreading attempting to run again, only to be in pain right away. I'm afraid to find out my body just wasn't built for running.

2009-12-21 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2571873

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED
mskjs - 2009-12-21 5:29 PM That's exactly what I was thinking about the extra pounding to the calf's but at the same time I have heard that the endurance gains are very high so I was weighing the risks vs the gains.. what do you think??

Thank you so much for accepting me into your group.  I'm just not sure what to do now.  I was thinking of following the beginner program that goes from Jan till June- or will you be posting a workout for us to follow.. just not sure how it all works.. yikes..

So, a little about me- I'm 38yrs old, single, an emergency room nurse (which is highly highly stressful) and recently had a big health scare- which has actually turned into a positive experience in my life. I'm from Westchester county, NY!

You should be ok w/ 1-2x a week. Just don't go crazy with it. 

I won't be coaching you like daily, but will be helping you out. Since your not on the beginner plan right now should be some maintenance work. What is your goal race? Do you have a race schedule set? The beginner plan should be fine then do a goal race at the end of June. Oh yeah I maybe asking some redundant questions until I get ya'll all down. The picture definitely helps me put it all together. Thanks.

Check w/ Emily she is from Long Island, don't know how far that is from you though but maybe ya'll can hook up at some races. 

Congrats on being a nurse I have a few friends from college who are nurses. 

2009-12-21 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2571920

User image

Tyler,
Bearintheair2000 - 2009-12-21 6:05 PM
triritter - 2009-12-21 8:42 AM

Ok here is the offical group. I would like it if some of you all posted a picture or two so I can associate a face with the name or add me on facebook. Oh yeah and ask questions of what you want to know, that is how you are going to learn in this group, since there is so much info to cover in triathlon, I want you to ask specific questions. If I don't know the answer I know someone who does.

antlimon166
drkelly
kpar
smeador
TriPatrick
eca712
Ironman7
lvernon
mcassat
mskjs
muddycreek
StrayDog

Noticed that I wasn't on the list, thought I was in... typo? or did I miss the callbacks? Still very much interested.
 Cheers,
Bear 

You are IN simple mistake, expect many more I make them often.

Also left off CBarnes (Cliff from East Texas).

Cheers!

Edited by triritter 2009-12-21 10:16 PM
2009-12-21 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2571980

User image

Tyler,
StrayDog - 2009-12-21 6:47 PMGreat! I am glad I am in. I noticed that everyone has posted a bio of some sort or another...uh...humm....I guess I was supposed to do that. Pardon. I had not logged on much yesterday.

BIO:
I am Jeff. Hey from CA. I have four kids 18, 17, 14 and 11. Two girls and two boys in that order. One College student, two Highschoolers and one Middle. I am an RN and Legal Nurse Consultant in my other spare time. Mainly I practice in the Surgical arena.

I started training to improve my wieght. I went from 203 to my present 164 lbs. I started that as a rib to myself and then it turned into a biggest loser challenge at work then it kinda felt good and then it became soccer until there were no friends in my age group to play soccer with. So, after long thoughts of purpose, I wanted to be around for my kids my grandskids etc. and I wanted to live longer than my Dad. (He past at the age of 53 ,I believe due to poor lifestyle). Therefore...ta da ..the answer was to Tri.

I have not done a Tri yet. I am certainly a beginner. I have run some races and in the past I have been active in Football, Soccer from Highschool to College to the Navy. Now I just sort of run around the mountains here and I am looking for a new purpose ...the new current thought is to make some friends and to compete agaist some age grouper type people, but the ultimate purpose is to create a new life style of activity that permeates generations to come.

William thanks for taking the time here I sure I don't have to speak for the others when I say we all appreciate it.

Ok then, off to my swim and perhaps a bike in the rain.  Energized, Jeff.
Wow great story! Congrats on dropping a ton of weight and keeping with all your kids.
2009-12-21 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Ok, Wednesday will be VERY difficult nutrition wise. Taking mom and dad to Ruths Chris Steak House for their birthdays. So good but not so good for me.
2009-12-21 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2572068

User image

Tyler,
muddycreek - 2009-12-21 7:52 PM It's good to see some others in the group that are as new to this as I am?As far as what I want to learn from this, for me it's basically several things 1- tips and pointers on what I could be doing better as far as workout schedule and specifics, 2- the whole 'shared experience' thing (I can't seem to get anyone here very worked up about starting in triathlons), and 3- somebody to help hold me accountable.I can be quite a backslider, and my three-event March to September schedule is designed to give me just enough on the horizon to keep working constantly. I'm really good with diet, until I'm really bad- occasionally beer/wine, more often dessert. I've been remarkably restrained since Thanksgiving, but I do not plan on being restrained at all for Christmas, so sue me.

Make sure you update the nutrition log part. I will be checking on you and get a picture too.

1) I will do the best to help you out. Basically if you work full time you get one day off a week. Look at your schedule and  see how many hours  a day you can set a time to workout. You have to find the right mix in there. Depending on your weakness you should be doing more of that come January. Hopefully that is a start and remember quality over quantity.

2) Don't really bother w/ talking to people about it doesn't really work.  Just do it, if they see you heading tot he pool or getting ready for the bike and are interested they will ask the question. I never asked Lance "Hey you should do a triathlon." He kinda just got interested in it from seeing me.

3)  Oh we will be on your butt, don't worry I can be a smart A too if needed  

2009-12-21 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2572078

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2009-12-21 7:59 PM
muddycreek - 2009-12-21 8:52 PM It's good to see some others in the group that are as new to this as I am?As far as what I want to learn from this, for me it's basically several things 1- tips and pointers on what I could be doing better as far as workout schedule and specifics, 2- the whole 'shared experience' thing (I can't seem to get anyone here very worked up about starting in triathlons), and 3- somebody to help hold me accountable.I can be quite a backslider, and my three-event March to September schedule is designed to give me just enough on the horizon to keep working constantly. I'm really good with diet, until I'm really bad- occasionally beer/wine, more often dessert. I've been remarkably restrained since Thanksgiving, but I do not plan on being restrained at all for Christmas, so sue me.

Hey Jon, I feel your pain- asked everyone I know to do a race with me, and did not get a single taker. Most of my friends live in Manhattan and are all about that scene- I'm kind of over it and am just waiting until I'm done with school until I can move out of NY and to someplace beautiful and outdoorsy. My fam is especially unenthusiastic- they just don't get it. So good thing groups like this exist!
Fort Worth/Austin in Texas!
2009-12-21 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2572085

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2009-12-21 8:08 PMOK, so question #1: if we're beginners, should we worry about heart rates? I have a really simple monitor (doesn't log an average HR or anything- just tells me at that moment what my HR is) and got my resting and max HRs. I saw an article, maybe here on BT (oh yeah, here it is: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/HRMoniterPartII.h... that the majority of our workouts should be in the "endurance" zone (70-75% of our MHR) and the "tempo/threshold" zone (80-90% of our MHR). Is this something good to focus on at this stage? I haven't worked out a training plan yet- I have a pro friend who I'm going to ask, so I'd like to know if I should ask her to tell me what my target HR should be for each workout. Sorry, this is kind of rambling... Thoughts from the veterans?
Why are you asking difficult questions already? Umm...yes and no. On easy/base/recovery workouts yes!!! On tempo/threshold/interval your goal should be hitting goal pace. How is that? It's good to monitor your heart rate and see how you are "working" the longer you can hold a high heart rate the better and better Lactate threshold (research that). Nvm, I bet you have enough to research
2009-12-21 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2572092

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2009-12-21 8:14 PMOK and question #2, while we're at it. Has anyone ever read the book Chi Running? I got it after I read tons of reviews on Amazon from people who said the book improved their form vastly. I think I need that- I've always struggled with shin splints, to the point where after a 5K I thought I had fractured my tibia (who knows, maybe I did). Now it's something a little different- every time I've tried to run in the past few months, the muscles in my shins seize up almost immediately. From what I've read online, it kind of sounds like compartment syndrome, but maybe not as severe. I just don't know why, of all the muscles in my legs, my shins would be working the hardest! That's why I think it must be due to my form. I have a moderate case of scoliosis (wore a night brace in high school- yeah, I was pretty cool) and I think it has my whole body out of whack, leading to poor form.

So anyway. That's why I bought Chi Running. I haven't gotten too far into it, but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about it. I'm just kind of dreading attempting to run again, only to be in pain right away. I'm afraid to find out my body just wasn't built for running.
I have heard of it don't really know much about it. But I've been a runner for over 13 years or so now. Oh yes and shin splints. I am not sure if they ever go away. You may want to spend some time strengthening your tibialis muscles (front of your lower leg there). by doing some toe taps while your sitting or watching tv. Do you tend to land hard on your heals a lot when you run? This may also result from it. Ok so there is plantar flexion and dorsi flexion. Plantar flexion is when you point your toes up which leads to heal striking severly, don't worry it's mostly natural. Dorsi flexion is when you point your toes down. I am working on currently right now is when I run is make sure my toes/feet are sorta pointed downward before I strike the ground. So far no real issues with it. I hope that make sense. Most faster runners tend to land on the midfoot. you should strive for the same. Google Jeremy Huffman he is a 15 min 5k guy from Louisiana that is a teacher of chi running.
2009-12-21 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2572246

User image

Tyler,
smeador - 2009-12-21 9:41 PM Ok, Wednesday will be VERY difficult nutrition wise. Taking mom and dad to Ruths Chris Steak House for their birthdays. So good but not so good for me.

Have fun with it and remember you still gotta write it down  
2009-12-21 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2572250

User image

Veteran
triritter - 2009-12-21 10:44 PM
eca712 - 2009-12-21 7:59 PM

Fort Worth/Austin in Texas!

Don't tempt me- I'll be crashing on your couch! I feel like every other week, I read that Austin is the most amazing city on earth. I need to see if it lives up to all the hype.

2009-12-22 12:02 AM
in reply to: #2572255

User image

Veteran
triritter - 2009-12-21 10:47 PM
eca712 - 2009-12-21 8:08 PMOK, so question #1: if we're beginners, should we worry about heart rates? I have a really simple monitor (doesn't log an average HR or anything- just tells me at that moment what my HR is) and got my resting and max HRs. I saw an article, maybe here on BT (oh yeah, here it is: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/HRMoniterPartII.h... that the majority of our workouts should be in the "endurance" zone (70-75% of our MHR) and the "tempo/threshold" zone (80-90% of our MHR). Is this something good to focus on at this stage? I haven't worked out a training plan yet- I have a pro friend who I'm going to ask, so I'd like to know if I should ask her to tell me what my target HR should be for each workout. Sorry, this is kind of rambling... Thoughts from the veterans?
Why are you asking difficult questions already? ;) Umm...yes and no. On easy/base/recovery workouts yes!!! On tempo/threshold/interval your goal should be hitting goal pace. How is that? It's good to monitor your heart rate and see how you are "working" the longer you can hold a high heart rate the better and better Lactate threshold (research that). Nvm, I bet you have enough to research ;)

Haha just keeping you on your toes! That's helpful- thanks. The whole lactate thing is way too much for my tired brain to handle at this point! So, basically, the fitter you are, the lower your resting HR is and the higher your HR will be even when your perceived rate of exertion is low?
2009-12-22 12:07 AM
in reply to: #2572267

User image

Veteran
triritter - 2009-12-21 10:54 PM
eca712 - 2009-12-21 8:14 PMOK and question #2, while we're at it. Has anyone ever read the book Chi Running? I got it after I read tons of reviews on Amazon from people who said the book improved their form vastly. I think I need that- I've always struggled with shin splints, to the point where after a 5K I thought I had fractured my tibia (who knows, maybe I did). Now it's something a little different- every time I've tried to run in the past few months, the muscles in my shins seize up almost immediately. From what I've read online, it kind of sounds like compartment syndrome, but maybe not as severe. I just don't know why, of all the muscles in my legs, my shins would be working the hardest! That's why I think it must be due to my form. I have a moderate case of scoliosis (wore a night brace in high school- yeah, I was pretty cool) and I think it has my whole body out of whack, leading to poor form.

I have heard of it don't really know much about it. But I've been a runner for over 13 years or so now. Oh yes and shin splints. I am not sure if they ever go away. You may want to spend some time strengthening your tibialis muscles (front of your lower leg there). by doing some toe taps while your sitting or watching tv. Do you tend to land hard on your heals a lot when you run? This may also result from it. Ok so there is plantar flexion and dorsi flexion. Plantar flexion is when you point your toes up which leads to heal striking severly, don't worry it's mostly natural. Dorsi flexion is when you point your toes down. I am working on currently right now is when I run is make sure my toes/feet are sorta pointed downward before I strike the ground. So far no real issues with it. I hope that make sense. Most faster runners tend to land on the midfoot. you should strive for the same. Google Jeremy Huffman he is a 15 min 5k guy from Louisiana that is a teacher of chi running.

Word. I do land hard on my heels, even when I'm walking around the house- people always tell me I stomp around like I'm a 300 pound man! My tibialis muscles are actually pretty strong- both from anti-shin splint training exercises and, oddly enough, from yoga, so I don't think that's the issue. From what I've read in the book so far, I think I need to shoot for the midfoot strike. Seems so unnatural though! I'll let you know how it goes once the snow melts and I can get outside for a test run.
2009-12-22 6:20 AM
in reply to: #2572395

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2009-12-22 12:02 AM
triritter - 2009-12-21 10:47 PM
Why are you asking difficult questions already? Umm...yes and no. On easy/base/recovery workouts yes!!! On tempo/threshold/interval your goal should be hitting goal pace. How is that? It's good to monitor your heart rate and see how you are "working" the longer you can hold a high heart rate the better and better Lactate threshold (research that). Nvm, I bet you have enough to research

Haha just keeping you on your toes! That's helpful- thanks. The whole lactate thing is way too much for my tired brain to handle at this point! So, basically, the fitter you are, the lower your resting HR is and the higher your HR will be even when your perceived rate of exertion is low?

If you are fit you will have a lower heart rate but not necessarily fitter than someone who may have a HR higher than you. The longer you can hold a high HR probably the better LT Threshold you have.

If two people both run 7 min miles. Person A has a 150 HR, while Person B HR is 170. Person A is likely to be more fit and will also have a lower RPE.
2009-12-22 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2572396

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2009-12-22 12:07 AM
triritter - 2009-12-21 10:54 PM

Word. I do land hard on my heels, even when I'm walking around the house- people always tell me I stomp around like I'm a 300 pound man! My tibialis muscles are actually pretty strong- both from anti-shin splint training exercises and, oddly enough, from yoga, so I don't think that's the issue. From what I've read in the book so far, I think I need to shoot for the midfoot strike. Seems so unnatural though! I'll let you know how it goes once the snow melts and I can get outside for a test run.

Check with your local running store to make sure your in the right shoes for your feet as well. Make sure your icing your legs (ice bath) after hard efforts
2009-12-22 6:24 AM

User image

Tyler,
Ironman 7 and mskjs ya'll need to change your settings off private. Nobody can see your logs

Thanks!

2009-12-22 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Good short interval run this morning.
2009-12-22 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Hello all,

Quick question- can you guys see the foods I enter in the nutrition log, or just the total calories/fat/carbs/etc.? I have a feeling you can only see the totals, which is annoying because it takes foreverrrr to enter in all of the foods, so I'd rather not have to also write out in the blog portion what I ate.

William, if you can only see the totals, let me know if you'd prefer to see those or descriptions of my meals because I'm too lazy to enter both. :)
2009-12-22 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2574232

User image

Tyler,
I can only see your calories. I am too lazy to count calories so I just write it out. Most triathletes diets should be 50-60 carbs, 10-20 prot and 20-30 fat (good fats mainly). So if you stay in that range and watch your caloric content for most of you all should be fine. FYI:3500 calories= 1 pound To lose 1 pound a week cut 500 calories per day.
2009-12-22 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2572246

Hey, smeador;Wednesday doesn't have to be difficult!It's actually a good shot at a GOOD lean steak- ever notice how you have to get a pretty fatty steak at a cheap place to get much flavor? Ruth's Chris should be able to pull off a great lean cut for you- keep it down to 8-10 ounces, then challenge the chef to knock your socks off with a crapload of vegetables, moderate olive oil and salt, and whatever spices he can come up with.Stick tight to that, then do whatever you want for dessert and don't feel bad about it at all.Bet it's fantastic, and will break up the chef's monotony at work.

Edited by muddycreek 2009-12-22 8:10 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17