BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-12-29 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2577385

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: RE: Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED
Wow...all this smack talk....

Is there an official weigh-in date yet?

2009-12-29 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2579979

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Dexter and Marmadaddy first 10 slots going fast. Let the newbies have a chance.
You inspired me to put Olympic on my goals for 2010....now I have to up my training...crap...I was trying to get by easy.....hey we can do it right????? Please tell me right. Nice to have you on board...if I can figure outthis blogging stuff it should be fun.
2009-12-29 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2579403

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Dexter and Marmadaddy first 10 slots going fast. Let the newbies have a chance.
NIce to see you out there trying..I am fairly new at this as well.....sign up for a race..that was what motivated me above all else...and tell people you are going to do it...makes it harder to back out...slow and easy man..you can do this!!!
2009-12-30 6:26 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

My weight is up 7lbs in 2 days.  When is that weigh in date?  I am so ready to get started.  I will probably start a few days early.  I am not so worried about losing the money as I am about losing this weight.  I am officially at a scary weight for me and I am panicking.  I am so glad to be part of this group.  You guys can pull me off the ceiling when I freak out about the scale.  I am only 1 lb away from my heaviest weight ever, when I was 9 months pregnant. 

Ok, freak out over.  Thanks for listening.

2009-12-30 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2583457

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
jogo - 2009-12-30 6:26 AM

My weight is up 7lbs in 2 days.  When is that weigh in date?  I am so ready to get started.  I will probably start a few days early.  I am not so worried about losing the money as I am about losing this weight.  I am officially at a scary weight for me and I am panicking.  I am so glad to be part of this group.  You guys can pull me off the ceiling when I freak out about the scale.  I am only 1 lb away from my heaviest weight ever, when I was 9 months pregnant. 

Ok, freak out over.  Thanks for listening.

Sounds familiar.  I stepped on the scales three days ago up 15 lbs over where I was this summer.  Surprised  How the hell did THAT happen??   The good news is that I've started logging everything I eat, cut out all of the alcohol and sweets, set my % of calories from fat at 15% or less, and picked up the training pace.  The weight is already headed in the right direction.   We can all do it if we remember that the most important exercise is pushing ourselves away from the table. 
2009-12-30 7:20 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
I'm just competing to lose more than Dudley.

I have a 40 minute trainer session scheduled for today. What's everyone's workout looking to be?

2009-12-30 7:23 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
I'm thinking weight in is Jan 3rd. 

Mike and I will run our own challenge.  Take it easy on the side bets.  More to come. 
I'm looking to try a little p90x tonight. 
2009-12-30 8:49 AM

I have another run planned for today -- I am following a slightly modified version of the couch to sprint plan.  I am a little ahead of the run portion, maybe ever so slightly ahead of the bike portion and dead on for the swim -- I know how to swim to stay alive, but have not swam competetively since Jr High.  So, instead of 20 min walk like the plan calls for I am doing 25 - 30 walk/jog trying to get equal or more time jogging as walking.

Did not get ST in yesterday, so will lift today.  My son could not lift with me yesterdat, so I thought I'd wait til today and we can lift together.

I am a little afraid to see what the scale will say for me after what I have eaten the last couple of weeks!
Have a great day all!
2009-12-30 9:34 AM

User image

Chelsea, MI
I'm doing the spin/abs class combo from Monday. That stupid abs class hurt so much I know I really need another one...
2009-12-30 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2583499

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
marmadaddy - 2009-12-30 6:20 AM I'm just competing to lose more than Dudley.

I have a 40 minute trainer session scheduled for today. What's everyone's workout looking to be?

Today is my rest day. Which is good-working my last week of the 2nd job...so I won't get home till 10 tonight. Thanks for the inspires...so nice to be in a new group for the new year!

OK-so all of us on the weight challenge-what date are we "officially starting"? The 2nd or the
3rd? and going for what? a month? 2 months? 3 months?
2009-12-30 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2583855

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
HNewman - 2009-12-30 8:34 AM I'm doing the spin/abs class combo from Monday. That stupid abs class hurt so much I know I really need another one...

That looks like a tough tough tough workout. anything abs kind of makes me want to take a pass...Embarassed good luck!

2009-12-30 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2583171

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
bfwhitt - 2009-12-29 8:05 PM You inspired me to put Olympic on my goals for 2010....now I have to up my training...crap...I was trying to get by easy.....hey we can do it right????? Please tell me right. Nice to have you on board...if I can figure outthis blogging stuff it should be fun.

woo hoo to us first time olys!! Yes, we can do this....Right! What training plan are you going to use? or are you winging it?
2009-12-30 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2584068

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Hollz - 2009-12-30 11:54 AM
bfwhitt - 2009-12-29 8:05 PM You inspired me to put Olympic on my goals for 2010....now I have to up my training...crap...I was trying to get by easy.....hey we can do it right????? Please tell me right. Nice to have you on board...if I can figure outthis blogging stuff it should be fun.

woo hoo to us first time olys!! Yes, we can do this....Right! What training plan are you going to use? or are you winging it?

Yeah!  I'm there too with the oly first timers. 

I wanted to do an oly last year (only because I was competing mentally with someone who was faster and felt I needed to prove to myself that I could out-endurance her)  but was sidelined by life and an injury that might not have been as bad as the sports med doctor wanted me to think (long story but confirms why I don't trust doctors, **I am an RN so I do have some background and understanding of the language).  Anyway, condensed version, I did nothing but a sprint, and my friend did a short swim oly and is now training for an ironman.  This year I am training smart and consistent and doing the distance for my own goals. 

One of my major accomplishments this year was realizing that my self-worth is not defined by the races I do or the AG's I don't win.  That was huge for me and better than accomplishing any event.  Sometimes its hard for me on BT because there are a lot of people who put others down if don't jump right into doing the longer distances.  I was thrilled when I read Dexter's original post about taking training slowly. 

You will find that I am pretty long-winded with the writing on BT logs and forum but this is my creative outlet. I may not be very athletic but I have had a multitude of life-lessons and tri-lessons that I can offer this group.  I am so looking forward to celebrating all of our successes this year and from the sounds of it, we will have many, weight loss, 5k's, 1st tri's, oly tri's, just getting ourselves off the couch, etc...

2009-12-30 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

just getting ourselves off the couch, etc...
Ahmen, anything but the couch. 

THE Challenge
The first weight in is Jan. 3 2010.
that's Sunday.  Give us time to debloat for NY EVE.
We'll start out with percentage of body weight loss
I am the keeper of the info.  I'll set up a Challenge page in
the BT thingie. 
You will need to enter your weight. 
Sunday evening I'll give the top three for the week.
I'm thinking of running it for 2 months with some mile stones being
recognized on the way.  Mike andi ahve  alot fo Hammer Gel about to expire. 
3 pounds a week is sensible.
More later they expect me to work here.

Edited by dexter 2009-12-30 1:03 PM
2009-12-30 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2584219

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
jogo - 2009-12-30 11:04 AM

Hollz - 2009-12-30 11:54 AM

I wanted to do an oly last year (only because I was competing mentally with someone who was faster and felt I needed to prove to myself that I could out-endurance her)  but was sidelined by life and an injury that might not have been as bad as the sports med doctor wanted me to think (long story but confirms why I don't trust doctors, **I am an RN so I do have some background and understanding of the language).  Anyway, condensed version, I did nothing but a sprint, and my friend did a short swim oly and is now training for an ironman.  This year I am training smart and consistent and doing the distance for my own goals. 

One of my major accomplishments this year was realizing that my self-worth is not defined by the races I do or the AG's I don't win.  That was huge for me and better than accomplishing any event.  Sometimes its hard for me on BT because there are a lot of people who put others down if don't jump right into doing the longer distances.  I was thrilled when I read Dexter's original post about taking training slowly. 

You will find that I am pretty long-winded with the writing on BT logs and forum but this is my creative outlet. I may not be very athletic but I have had a multitude of life-lessons and tri-lessons that I can offer this group.  I am so looking forward to celebrating all of our successes this year and from the sounds of it, we will have many, weight loss, 5k's, 1st tri's, oly tri's, just getting ourselves off the couch, etc...

I am with you there...it is kinda hard at first to not go full bore crazy. Especially if you're starting a new plan or have a new goal. I have been very careful throughout to cross train and slooowly increase. I am an old lady and have to be careful-Ha JK!!(well only kidding a little).
I am mostly competitive with myself. I am soooo not fast and so, just improving my times and distances is really all I focus on. If I was competing with others, I probably would have quit after the first race. OK, so bon apetit until the 3rd when the scale will smash our new year optimism.
Have a great afternoon everyone!
Holly
2009-12-30 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
It is called the Winter Warm up program or something like that....it is for those that have already done at least one Sprint...it was not on my list og goals until yesterday...so I need help wrapping my head around the distance...piece of cake...plan and train and then train and plan...what ever that means....

2009-12-30 9:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Hollz - 2009-12-30 10:54 AM

Someday I will get the courage to join the Oly rank. I've done sprints for 2 years and was planning to go oly until I stopped training 1 1/2 years ago, so to try to go oly this year might be a bit tough. My main worry is the run really, but I haven't even been on the bike in over a year...so that might be too!! We'll see.....
2009-12-30 9:52 PM
in reply to: #2584219

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
jogo - 2009-12-30 12:04 PM

Loved what you said about training smart and consistent and doing the distance for your own goals. Consistency is the key...hard lesson learned on my failed marathon training when I was too "weekend warrior" with the runs.

You said: "One of my major accomplishments this year was realizing that my self-worth is not defined by the races I do or the AG's I don't win."

Love, love, love what you said. That is something I am going to have to work on. Are you sure you're not my twin? Why is it that we compare ourselves to others when we are all individuals, all unique not only in our body makeup, but emotionally and athletically as well? Why is there a need to measure up against one another? Good to know that someone faces the same struggle.

I really hope this will be a new banner year for me. I've tried restarting this triathlon thing for 2 years and it never happened....but I am hopeful this time.
2009-12-30 9:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Hey Boss...as for the weight loss challenge....

I know we weigh in on Sunday, January 3rd.....what is the regular weigh in day? I hope it's not on Sunday...can we have it say on Wednesday or Thursday?
2009-12-31 6:06 AM
in reply to: #2585473

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
For those that have done them how tough is an olympic distance?. This is my first year (2010) of doing triathlon. Is it to big a step to do an oly in the first year?. We have a huge one in london in August that my brother will be doing and wants me to do it with me. Last thing i want is to enter then not be ready and hate doing it and the day becoming a chore

I have found my first race a 200m / 16km / 3.5km event as a taster and to get me used to the transitions etc. I intend to do a full sprint the following month and then a few others across summer.

so is the olympic a step to far in 1st year

great comments on the site to date, enjoying reading peoples outlooks for 2010
2009-12-31 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
OK I need a weight from you Sunday.  If you take it friday and give it to me Sunday OK.  Just once a week at the same time weigh yourself.  This sunday is the start this time only we weigh Sunday.  After that whenever at the same time during the week.  Personally Friday is always my best day.  I'm working on the graph ans stats thingie. 

Have a great New Year Eve.  Be good but enjoy,  MAC36 since you turn 2010 first give us a report. 
Mike and I are running 7.8 mile tomorrow morning in the resolution run.  Keep me in check for the evening.

2009-12-31 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I am on the fence about doing a New Year's Eve 4 mile run today.  My hamstrings are still so sore after my trainer on Monday.  The trainer just laughed last night and said everyone walks like that the first time they stength train hammies.  I'm so glad that he found amusement in my pain.  It is better today, but I am going to see how they are after a couple hours.  Its not until 3:30pm so I have some time.  I'm thinking I'll probably wait till next year though.  Why risk injury?

2009-12-31 9:06 AM

User image

Chelsea, MI
I've done that run, and it's very friendly to folks who want to take it slow - and with all this snow, the scenery will be gorgeous. You might go just for the fun training run along the frozen Detroit River. It's also very, VERY flat, which is good for hamstring coddling.
2009-12-31 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2585488

User image

Veteran
Well said by alll of you regarding having your own goals and knowing who you are...the definition of humility(very simplified form) is knowing who you are (good and bad) and striving to be the best you can be...what more can you do?

Edited by bfwhitt 2009-12-31 9:23 AM
2009-12-31 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2586026

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

HNewman - 2009-12-31 10:06 AM I've done that run, and it's very friendly to folks who want to take it slow - and with all this snow, the scenery will be gorgeous. You might go just for the fun training run along the frozen Detroit River. It's also very, VERY flat, which is good for hamstring coddling.

I just posted in the Michigan forum that I am out.  My left hammie is so painful and I am not willing to risk injury for a cool tech shirt and some free beer.  I have big plans starting tomorrow so I am going to rest it for another day.   Maybe next year I'll get you there to do it with me and TrishM. 

Do you have kids, is that why you have to share training times with your hubby or are you royalty and can never be in the same place at the same time?   I was hoping to meet you this weekend.  Trainerfest should be a lot of fun.  Kimm always is the hostest with the mostest. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19