BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-04-14 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2770788

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
thanks guys, I went out and did some speed work today just to prove to myself I could. Knee feels pretty good actually... maybe some of that mind over matter. Got a mile in at 6:30, (now to get some more) and a good threshold bike ride. I might even do a 5k this weekend before the Bachelor party!

I loved bodybuilding... sadly I had to give it up for the tri training (anything serious anyways) and after having surgery on my shoulder last year I really can't lift much without some serious pain... so I guess it's good I moved on to swim/bike/run... it is fun though, I miss it a lot sometimes... and I really miss the "looks" I got when I was 215

2010-04-14 10:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Chris - So glad to hear you knee is doing better and that there seems to be nothing major wrong with it!
2010-04-14 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2784354

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Open
eca712 - 2010-04-12 12:13 AM Hi, I'd like to join too if you'll have me! I am about to pass out, but quick bio: First year of triathlon. Have a mini sprint in two weeks and so far, a sprint in the end of May and an Olympic distance in September. Hoping to fill in the summer with two or three more races. I'm a 25-year-old law student with little athletic background other than the usual gym going and a couple of 5Ks. Single, so no kids, thank god (sorry parents, but I do not envy you). I'm pretty small- 5'3", 105 lbs. Hmm not sure what else there is to say, but I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Hey Emily,

Where are you going to law school?

Hey Everyone:

What is on your playlist?  I need some new music.

Young Forever (Featuring Mr Hudson) Jay-Z                 

Sanctuary (English Version Of Passion, Kingdom Hearts II)  Utada Hikaru                 

Hero of the Day Metallica                 

Through the Wire   Kanye West

All The Things She Said  Tatu

Famous Last Words My Chemical Romance                 

You Know What It Is (feat.  Wyclef)   T.I.                 

Times Like These   Foo Fighters

Thunderstruck      AC/DC                 

Under Pressure     Queen & David Bowie

Bring Em Out        T.I.                 

Till I Collapse         Eminem                 

Like Toy Soldiers  Eminem                 

Slip Out the Back  Fort Minor

Hey Soul Sister     Train                                   

Shoot To Thrill      AC/DC                 

Take Me Out       Franz Ferdinand

Cigarello             The Fratellis                 

Long Way Down   Goo Goo Dolls

Freedom '90        George Michael

Round and Round   Ratt                 

Vacation  The Go-Go's                 

The Reason Hoobastank                                                     

In The End Linkin Park

I Want to Break Free Queen                                                     

Yeah Usher Feat. Lil' Jon and Ludac                  

2010-04-14 11:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Some good music?

"Percussion Gun" by White Rabbits
"Lisztomania" by Phoenix
"Hysteria" by Muse 
2010-04-15 6:14 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
some stuff off of my workout playlist...

"And I love her" Beatles (actually... any Beatles)
"Testosterone" Bush
"King for a Day" Greenday
"Anna Molly" Incubus
"Four Kicks" Kings of Leon
Some Manson song's I probably shouldn't name
"Frances Farmer will have her revenge on Seattle" Nirvana
"Do the Evolution" Pearl Jam
"Freedom" RAtM
"Tumble in the Rough" STP
"New Fang" Them Crooked Vultures
"The Good Life" Three Days Grace
"Perfect Situation" Weezer
"Fell in Love with a Girl" White Stripes

A lot of Fall out Boy, Franz Ferdinand and Muse

at the moment at least.
2010-04-15 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2793160

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA
Oh well, no lottery slot for me this year.  I may schedule Florida, but am mulling it over since I have to pay the foundation amount.  Is anyone else doing an IM this year?

2010-04-15 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2794199

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
PATiger33 - 2010-04-15 1:44 PM Oh well, no lottery slot for me this year.  I may schedule Florida, but am mulling it over since I have to pay the foundation amount.  Is anyone else doing an IM this year?

that sucks you didn't hit the lotto slot
I'm not doing an "IM" brand race, but the Rev3 is Iron Distance. September is creeping up on me too!
2010-04-15 2:20 PM

User image

New user
Washington, DC

Sorry, been busy, so multiple responses at once:

Welcome new guys!

Good to hear about those results. Definitely great news!

Believe it or not, I don't listen to music when I work out. I don't even own an mp3 player. My second generation iPod crapped out on me in high school 6 months after my warranty was up, and I was so mad I didn't buy an mp3 player for a long time. Then in college rowing, our coach wouldn't let us work out with them. "If you can't have it during a race, you can't have it as a crutch during a workout!" I just never picked one up along the way. Weird, I know.

I agree, GO GET CRAZY at the bachelor party! Work (/train) hard, play hard!

Girlfriend got a new dog two nights ago, so I've been busy busy busy helping out. Missed my workout Wednesday, but I'm ok with moving it to Friday and having my rest period on Wednesday. Last time I went to the pool at 8:00 on a Friday night, I had a lane to myself and actually got to stretch out, take my time, and not feel rushed because I was slowing someone else down behind me.

Finding out tonight if the new roommate is a good running partner or if he slows me down. He looks to be part pit or part greyhound, so I'm thinking I may be the one slowing him down.

2010-04-15 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2794481

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
drphungky - 2010-04-15 3:20 PM

Believe it or not, I don't listen to music when I work out. I don't even own an mp3 player. My second generation iPod crapped out on me in high school 6 months after my warranty was up, and I was so mad I didn't buy an mp3 player for a long time. Then in college rowing, our coach wouldn't let us work out with them. "If you can't have it during a race, you can't have it as a crutch during a workout!" I just never picked one up along the way. Weird, I know.

I used to NEED to listen to music while running, and to watch something while on the trainer... but in the past few months I've fallen even more in love with this sport and just love focusing on what I am doing: running and biking. And well, the pool is its own kind of meditation. Staring at that black line or the feet in front of you is a zen art form, I say!! 
2010-04-15 7:46 PM

Southeastern NC

Love to ride listening to music. When I used to race I would get a few songs in my head and sing to myself during the hard climbs. At times I would think about the songs and what their meaning were to me. I would also try to keep the beat with my cadence, gear down, gear up. Whatever it would take to get me to the top of the climb. That would really take my mind off the the heat, thirst, pain or the guy behind me trying to talk or get into my head.

2010-04-15 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Sorry to hear about missing out in the lottery.  There's always next year!

I don't listen to music when training either, so I can't really help out there. Hope everybody's week is going well!  

2010-04-16 7:09 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I always make sure to get some training sessions in without music. When I train outside, I never wear music, for safety reasons more than anything... and when I'm doing sprint work I keep it off. Long training rides /runs /swims I always have my iPod or Swimp3 with me though... it just helps to break up the monotony of it.

There's always the "other" way of getting to Kona

So what is everyone's equipment? What do you Ride? Run in? etc. Anybody train with power? HR? Do you train by feel or by a plan?

Me...
I ride a Stealth Tri Bike, CR1 Road bike.. old wired PT wheel.
Run in Brooks Defyance 3 shoes to train, Brooks Green Silence to race
Swim in one of those "boy shorts" speedo's... short enough that the old women doing aquarobics give me strange looks
I have to have a very detailed plan... big on having things set out in front of me so I know exactly what has to be done... if I train by feel, I always cut it too short.
2010-04-16 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2795648

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-16 8:09 AM  

So what is everyone's equipment? What do you Ride? Run in? etc. Anybody train with power? HR? Do you train by feel or by a plan?

I train by HR most of the time (except for swim, that's RPE). I ride a low-end Trek 1.2 WSD (bahaha) equipped with ghetto aerobars. I'll get a super sweet tri-bike when I feel I've earned it... 
I run in Saucony ProGrid Guide 2 shoes. I need cushioning for my operated knee, and my other leg pronates... I can't wear really sweet, light racing flats. Too bad...
And I pride myself on having the wickedest, most colourful swimming suits ever!! PURPLE! BLUE! DIAGRAMS AND PATTERNS!! SWISHES!! I am a huge fan of TYR bathing suits.  
I use either my watch (Garmin Forerunner 50) or my Garmin Forerunner 310xt to track all my bike/run data.

What about clothing, guys? Do you have brands that you are loyal to or "anything goes"? 
2010-04-16 10:07 AM

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA

Swim:  TYR lyrica shorts (FYI: chlorine strips the color out of these suits really quick) and Speedo googles with reflective lenses.

Bike:  Just bought a Cervelo P1 and sold my old Rocket Wing.  I have a pair of ten year old Carnac shoes that I will never throw away.  These shoes make my feet feel like they are in warm butter.

Run:  Asics Gel Nimbus.  No substitutions here.  I used racing flats in my former life when I was really thin, now I am a little too heavy for them. 
2010-04-16 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-16 6:09 AM

I train by heart rate for run and bike and I guess you could call how I swim training by RPE. I track all running and biking with my Garmin, which is awesome, I’m such a nerd and love the graphing features where I can compare HR to elevation or pace or distance.

Equipment wise:

Running: Brooks Adrenaline 9. Although I’m due for a new fitting.

Biking: Bianchi Via Nerone 7, outfitted it with cheap aerobars and I use Bontanger Race shoes.  I tend to pick up all my clothing for this through bonktown.com because they have some seriously killer deals and because I tend to use backcountry.com for everything gear related in my life.

Swimming: Speedo all the way, another old habit from my swimming days and working at a swim shop during HS.  I still use all lycra suits, although I hear polyester now is a wonder and doesn’t wear out, and swim with a drag suit as well out of habit. I used to use Swedish goggles that I love, but my last pair broke a couple weeks ago and I had to switch to Speedo Vanquisher since I couldn’t wait to order something online (woes of living in Small Town, USA).

I train with a plan, but am willing to cut things short due to injury. Learned the hard way to listen to my body when it's yelling "Stop!"

Does anybody here use open water goggles? Like them?

2010-04-16 11:26 AM

User image

Leegoocrap - 2010-04-16 5:09 AM I always make sure to get some training sessions in without music. When I train outside, I never wear music, for safety reasons more than anything... and when I'm doing sprint work I keep it off. Long training rides /runs /swims I always have my iPod or Swimp3 with me though... it just helps to break up the monotony of it.

There's always the "other" way of getting to Kona

Me...
I ride a Stealth Tri Bike, CR1 Road bike.. old wired PT wheel.
Run in Brooks Defyance 3 shoes to train, Brooks Green Silence to race
Swim in one of those "boy shorts" speedo's... short enough that the old women doing aquarobics give me strange looks
I have to have a very detailed plan... big on having things set out in front of me so I know exactly what has to be done... if I train by feel, I always cut it too short.

I have very little "equipment" per se being a newb, but this is payday week so that could change, hehe.

Running shoes are Brooks Ariel 8's, but I am always looking to upgrade since I have Barbie feet. I could probably run in a pair of heels thanks to having such high arches.  I wear flats to walk in sometimes, but then I wind up kicking myself because it ultimately kills my ankles.

Swim gear is a standard Speedo high cut suit or two piece if it's really hot out.

Bike gear I have more of since cycling is more of my "thing".  I have a newer 26" Schwinn Sidewinder , I sold my old one to get an upgraded version (mainly just painted pretty blue and with a protective coating, hehe).  I have a Bell Adrenaline Helmet to protect my noggin' and a nice Bell gel cushioned seat instead of the crappy one most bikes come with.  I also have a Bell Indoor Bike trainer (the  Motivator Mag - overdrive model) that I am using when the weather gets funky.  My other bike is also a mountain bike, but it's a cheapy Next 26" Power Climber Mountain Bike.  I use it for dirt rides mainly and trails.  I have a much nicer gel seat on it, because if I didn't I'd have a blistered rear end.  It's a Bell seat too, but it's their Honeycomb Air Gel Tech Seat.

Let's see am I leaving anything out?  I'm not much into music while I ride because I like to focus on my surroundings and what I'm doing.   I really like to listen to my heart and the rest of my body to see how I'm doing.  If I'm in the gym, I might listen to the Ipod, but half the time I leave it at home and forget it :P

I've used specific plans with regard to lifting like NROLW (New Rules of Lifting for Women) to break of the monotony of regular routines, but I like basic plans that get me the results that I want.  I guess maybe I am a little OCD about it and very focused.   (vision or goal)+(plan)=result  would be my equation, hehe.

2010-04-16 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2796105

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
krystyna47 - 2010-04-16 10:40 AM

What about clothing, guys? Do you have brands that you are loyal to or "anything goes"? 

Depends... speedo is the only thing I swim in... Not 100% sure why, just always has been. Orca for wetsuits (although I tried on a Blueseventy the other day that I liked) Nike for running shorts (black only!) and the Target Champion brand for anything else.

However, I am die-hard Shimano when it comes to brand loyalty. No SRAM or Campy for me.
2010-04-16 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Hmm I have the motley crew of tri equipment.

Swim: Hand-me-down speedo suit, some speedo goggles that I hate. I need to buy a new pair before I start racing. Just bought a hand-me-down Aquaman wetsuit from the BT forum, but I'm a little afraid it's too small- it's nearly impossible to get on! I need to try again in earnest this weekend. And I just bought some used Blue Seventy neoprene booties and cap from the BT forum. Wetsuit/booties/cap are required for at least one of my races.

Bike: Just splurged on a Specialized Dolce Elite. It's real purdy. Clipless pedals and Specialized shoes. Hand-me-down Cateye Strada Wireless Computer (bought on the forums here).

Run: New Balance 905s. Very lightweight; I like them a lot.

Clothing: Anything goes. I have ten-year-old yoga clothes from Old Navy, just recently bought a couple of new running tops from Marshalls (they have pretty decent workout gear that's usually at least 50% off). Bought a pair of Orca tri shorts that I don't love- and ended up having to buy better shorts and a top from the tri team I joined, so the Orcas were kind of a waste. And I use some old running shorts and yoga pants for assorted workouts.

Music: It helps. I could do without it, but especially for longer workouts, it helps break up the monotony. Plus I love using the RunKeeper app with my iPhone- so much easier than trying to re-trace my run on mapmyrun.com. But for safety I only put a headphone in one ear when riding.

Training strategy: I have a very simple Polar HR monitor (just shows HR at the time, doesn't record anything) that I always forget to use. I should start keeping track again, but the 16-week Olympic training plan I'm using from BT is only volume building, so workouts are measured by minutes rather than HR or RPE. But for swimming, I prefer to increase the volume by distance rather than time (hard to keep track of time, not an accurate measure of exertion since I'm becoming a more efficient swimmer, etc.).
2010-04-16 12:59 PM

Southeastern NC
Hmmm, gear. Well, I'm new to the sport and will use what I got.

For the pool I use board shorts. I know they are not too sporty but the extra drag is never going to hurt anything while training. I will save the tights for the event and feel "extra" sleek for the swim. I have not purchased a tri-bike yet and still using my Lemond road bike for training and the race. As for running shoes, I just purchased some new addidas but might have to get to a real running store to get a pair with a proper fit. For now, I have started run/walking barefoot on the beach in the soft sand to build more lower leg muscles before hitting the road.
2010-04-16 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2796614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
eca712 - 2010-04-16 1:31 PM Hmm I have the motley crew of tri equipment.

Bought a pair of Orca tri shorts that I don't love- and ended up having to buy better shorts and a top from the tri team I joined, so the Orcas were kind of a waste.

If we're the same size, I'd be glad to take them off your hands if you want to sell them, and make SOME money on something you can't use. I've been looking for tri shorts (I have a one-piece tri suit I race in, but wanted to get tri shorts and top). Let me know! 
2010-04-16 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

Back in town and amped up on RB to make it through the day.

Bike  2008 Specialized Allez with clip-less pedals & aero bars.

Shoes-  Brooks I think but not sure with the quick slide-in laces

Clothes-  Race day- trisuit  2XU  pants & sleeveless top. I did just buy an Xterra sleeveless wet-suit  which I will use in my first race.    Swimming-  Speedo long legged type suit.   I wear an UA skull cap under my bike helmet and during race runs. 

Sunglass-  Oakley custom ordered type.  I have two pars of swim goggles- one clear & one pair tinted.

Training gear-  Currently I have an old mountain bike with half slick tires  inside on the trainer for rain days or if I get home late from work (winter time the road bike will come back inside), Solo -Elliptical, rowing machine, recumbent bike which I don't use and weights.  Counting laps when I swim I use a Sportcount finger mounted lap timer

Watch-  I have a sportline which can give my heart rate and has two timers. I monitor my heart rate more when I am training indoors and during my runs.

Kevin

2010-04-16 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2796998

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
b2673ad - 2010-04-16 1:52 PM Hello

Clothes-  Race day- trisuit  2XU  pants & sleeveless top. I did just buy an Xterra sleeveless wet-suit  which I will use in my first race.   

How do you like the 2xu suit? Does it have good durability? Does anybody else have tri suits they like/dislike?
2010-04-16 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2797222

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA
Does anyone know how to add the strength icon to the training blog?  I have seen some people have a picture of dumbbells and I would like to add it.

2010-04-16 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2797526

User image

PATiger33 - 2010-04-16 5:31 PM Does anyone know how to add the strength icon to the training blog?  I have seen some people have a picture of dumbbells and I would like to add it.

I got mine by adding strength exercises to my training log.
2010-04-16 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2796714

User image

Veteran
krystyna47 - 2010-04-16 2:11 PM
eca712 - 2010-04-16 1:31 PM Hmm I have the motley crew of tri equipment.

Bought a pair of Orca tri shorts that I don't love- and ended up having to buy better shorts and a top from the tri team I joined, so the Orcas were kind of a waste.

If we're the same size, I'd be glad to take them off your hands if you want to sell them, and make SOME money on something you can't use. I've been looking for tri shorts (I have a one-piece tri suit I race in, but wanted to get tri shorts and top). Let me know! 

Haha aw thanks for the offer- I'm going to just hold on to them. I've been using them for training, so they're not totally going to waste. But... if you buy tri shorts and a top, I'd recommend trying them on in person. Sizes vary so much.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 19