BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-04-19 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2800565

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
Shalyn asked me in an inspire what equipment for tri I thought was "essential"... I thought it I'd post here in case some of you had the same question.

This is what I think is ESSENTIAL, must have:

SWIM:
Goggles
Swim suit OR Tri suit OR Tri top/tri shorts
Race issued cap (for race only, otherwise optional)

BIKE:
A bike, any kind ... but a bike!
Bike helmet

RUN:
Running shoes

That's about it for ESSENTIAL, you HAVE to have these to race. 

REALLY NICE TO HAVE:
SWIM:  wetsuit for cold water races and OWS
BIKE:  a Road bike with aerobars or a tri bike, clipless pedals and shoes, bike flat repair kit, air pump, water bottle(s) w/ cages
RUN:  cap, race belt, Yankz or other brand shoelaces

OPTIONAL STUFF:
SWIM:  training aids like fins (Zoomers), pull buoy, kickboard, hand paddles
BIKE:  aero helmet, race wheels
RUN:  Cute matching clothes??
OTHER:  Garmin 304 or 310XT, or watch w/ a heart rate monitor, lap function

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but this should be a start.  Chime in if you have something you can't live without.  I'd LOVE to have race wheels, but $$$ become an issue with some of this stuff!   

Edited by hildekq 2010-04-19 4:35 PM

2010-04-19 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Thanks for the list. It's good to know what is essential and not when just starting. It's so easy to spend tons of money on all the cool stuff there is.

What is a race belt? Is that the belt for running with the water bottles attached to it? TIA

Hope everyone's day is going well even though it's Monday.

Going to spin class tonight for an hour. Hope I get rid of this headache I have. It's been throbbing all day. Boo.

2010-04-19 4:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Burning questions about BodyGlide
OK, I've never had the need for lubrication before, but apparently all the swimming has given me lats that are now getting in the way of my running. Well, one lat anyway, since the chafing is only under one arm. I have a Sprint coming up in a couple weeks- I'm assuming if I lube up in the morning, it will last through the swim and stay with me until the run?

Also, I tried running sockless today with some ouchy results. I'd still like to try it at the race, since wrestling socks onto wet feet constituted about 90% of my T1 last time. Have any of you used BodyGlide on your feet? 

Tammy 
2010-04-19 4:34 PM
in reply to: #2802395

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: Burning questions about BodyGlide
A race belt is something that your race number snaps onto or there are these with toggles:

sdf
You can also find some with water bottles or little zipper compartments for gels or your phone.  It just makes it simpler to put this with your run number already on it, under your running shoes in transition, grab it as you run out and put it on already running.  You really don't want to SWIM with a race number pinned to you, and it's a pain on the bike.  If they require you to wear your number on the bike, with the belt you can move it around to the back, and then move it back around to your front on the run.  They don't cost very much and although these come in colors, most I've seen are black.  Lots of manufacturers make them, check any online tri store.

Body glide.... yes, if you apply pre-swim, it should stay on the whole race.  It's kind of greasy and not water soluble as far as I know.  It should protect you against chafing, but you might want to try it on a training run.  I know people have used it on their feet, but I don't know if that interferes with sweating or not. 

As far as T1 and socks... I ALWAYS put on socks in T1... why don't you practice this at home and see if it's any faster for you...  put your socks on.  Then roll them off your feet until all you have is the toes left.  I lay them side by side.  Get your feet wet, run up to your "transition" area, while standing (IE don't sit down on the ground... that screams newbie!), bend over, lift up your toes on one foot while standing on your heel, pop the sock over your toes and then just roll it right up.  Repeat on the other side, jam your feet into your sneaks, and off you go!  It's pretty quick if you practice.  Speaking of running shoes, I use Yankz shoelaces on mine, there are other brands out there, but they replace the laces on your shoes and are made of elastic and they basically turn your running shoes into slip-ons, nothing to tie.  Saves a LOT of time, and they come in colors so you can match your shoes (VERY IMPORTANT to match everything, ha ha!).
2010-04-19 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the tips on T1 and the wet feet/socks thing. This is something I certainly NEED to practice! I have another question about that...a fellow gym-goer was telling me that her husband does triathlons and brings a rectangular shaped bucket (like a dishpan) that he has some shallow water in and after her runs from the water to T1 he dunks his foot in the bucket to get the sand/dirt off before shoving his feet into his socks. Is this something I should plan on doing. She said that he has found this faster than trying to brush the dirt/sand off with a towel?

Today I a had a heart-rate control run (3 miles), abs/core,  and some upper body lifting. Then after work the weather was descent and my hubby was home to deal with the kids (he works most nights) so I got out for a quick practice spin on my new bike. This is only my second time out on it so all I did was rode around the blocks in my neighborhood working on shifting, unclipping/stopping, going/reclipping, etc. I got the first ding on my bike (scratched the tape stuff on the handlebars Cry) when I biffed it at a stop sign - although I had unclipped my right foot I, for some reason, felt the impulse to put my left foot down too which didn't work so well since I wasn't unclipped there...yikes! Nothing hurt but my pride (oh and my handlebars!) but I gotta get good at it somehow! I kept doing this one little hill over and over because the road came to a T at the top of the hill and I was trying to figure out what gear to be in so I could pedal all the way up and then still be able to pedal if I unclipped/reclipped incase I had to stop. I'm SO not goot at this biking thing...YET!

Tomorrow I have more weight lifting, a 1 hour spin class planned for the AM and the afternoon is up in the air for now.

Hope you all have a great night!
2010-04-19 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Ooh. Good question Marsha. Rinsing the feet off would be much better than running with sand in the shoes. All these things to think about!

Today I did an hour spin class and then ran 2 miles on the treadmill.  

Tomorrow is weights and swimming. Ohhh yeah! Laughing 

2010-04-19 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2802828

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Welcome to the club Marsha.... the infamous club of either forgetting to unclip, or unclipping one foot and leaning the other direction, or just plain falling over!!  It's embarrassing as all get out and we've ALL done it.  Glad you only got your pride hurt and a little ding on the handlebars... don't worry, the more you ride your bike, the more comfortable you'll get and you'll ride with more confidence and speed.

As far as the dishpan with water... I don't do that, but there's nothing wrong with it, just one more thing to carry.  I've found that I just do a basic brush off of my feet and throw the socks on and go.  I think most of the debris kind of falls off as I run to transition.  We don't usually have sand here though.  More like grass and sticks and stuff.  I usually put an extra water bottle on my transition towel and if I REALLY need it, just squirt some water on my feet.  I had one tri that had a beach exit and then a long run to transition and they actually had us bring an extra pair of shoes just to run up to T1, and they had a kiddie pool filled with water that you could step in before putting your shoes on.  It's all personal preference and trial and error.  Try it out and see...
2010-04-19 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2802976

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
jordiebrigs - 2010-04-19 8:21 PM Ooh. Good question Marsha. Rinsing the feet off would be much better than running with sand in the shoes. All these things to think about!

Today I did an hour spin class and then ran 2 miles on the treadmill.  

Tomorrow is weights and swimming. Ohhh yeah! Laughing 

Jordan, sounds like a great way to simulate a brick if you have to workout inside! 

Do you go by "Jordan" or "Jordie" like your user name?
2010-04-19 11:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marsha,
I feel your pain- literally. My left knee is bandaged and my right still has scabs from the two times I've fallen over in the last couple of weeks. For the first one, I had my left unclipped, but the bike had other ideas and fell to the right. The second was even better- I was at a transition clinic the other day and after watching a few people do these graceful flying dismounts off the bike, I was toying with the idea of swinging a leg over before coming to a stop. All I did was unclip the right and THINK about it, and I fell over! No fancy stuff for me, obviously. I'll stick to coming to a complete stop.

And thanks for the rolled-up socks technique, Hilde! I'll have to practice that. Putting them on while standing may be too advanced for me, though. As you can see, I'm a little accident-prone!

Tammy 
2010-04-20 6:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Marsha -

I find when I am tired I am much more likely to fall on my bike.  I think my concentration goes, and I do stupid things like forget to unclip or unclip on one side and then try to put the other foot down!  When I'm tired running I don't pick up my feet and the trip over little things.  I'm not sure what happens when I'm tired and I swim (hopefully nothing that results in drowning!).

Janet
2010-04-20 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Hello Hilde and BT'ers!!

My name is Tammy and I am a NEWBIE!! Although I have always been athletic and loved sports, until this year I never seriously thought about competing in a marathon nevermind a Tri or HIM. I have gained and lost over 350 pounds over the course of the last 20 years and seven children and I know how difficult the process of losing weight is. This time 2 years ago I weighed 185 pounds after having my 7th child and now fluctuate between 135-140. I am very familiar with the frustrations of reaching plateau's in training and trying to find new ways to accomplish the same goal.

My first half marathon was in February and I finished in around 2 hours. I've ran 2 5K's with several more 5 and 10K in the plans for early Summer. I will be doing my very first Sprint Tri (Skeese Greets) on May 16 and am in the last month of training for that (22 training days left!!).

If you would've told me 10 years ago that I would actually LIKE to run, I would've told you that you were out of your mind! Running is my stronger event, with biking a newly learned event and swimming my weakest. With the help of a good friend and lots of persistence, I have FINALLY been able to learn how to swim with my face in the water, now it's a matter of building my endurance. Swimming is soooo much harder than running!

I look forward to learning from everyone else!

Tammy

2010-04-20 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Good morning and happy Tuesday!

@Hilde - I go by Jordan, but jordie is also fine. Also j-dub, j-dog, or j-tacular. (Hahaha) As long as I know you're talking to me. Laughing

Just sipping on my coffee waiting for the day to start. Going to go lift weights and swim today.

I don't have those clip shoes, but it's on my list of things to buy. In spin class, it seems the people who have them can spin like maniacs!  I would definitely be the one to fall off a bike as I am also accident prone. Good luck on working out the dismounts! 
2010-04-20 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2803613

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
TTucker - 2010-04-20 7:54 AM Hello Hilde and BT'ers!!

My name is Tammy and I am a NEWBIE!! Although I have always been athletic and loved sports, until this year I never seriously thought about competing in a marathon nevermind a Tri or HIM. I have gained and lost over 350 pounds over the course of the last 20 years and seven children and I know how difficult the process of losing weight is. This time 2 years ago I weighed 185 pounds after having my 7th child and now fluctuate between 135-140. I am very familiar with the frustrations of reaching plateau's in training and trying to find new ways to accomplish the same goal.

My first half marathon was in February and I finished in around 2 hours. I've ran 2 5K's with several more 5 and 10K in the plans for early Summer. I will be doing my very first Sprint Tri (Skeese Greets) on May 16 and am in the last month of training for that (22 training days left!!).

If you would've told me 10 years ago that I would actually LIKE to run, I would've told you that you were out of your mind! Running is my stronger event, with biking a newly learned event and swimming my weakest. With the help of a good friend and lots of persistence, I have FINALLY been able to learn how to swim with my face in the water, now it's a matter of building my endurance. Swimming is soooo much harder than running!

I look forward to learning from everyone else!

Tammy

Welcome to the group Tammy!  I beg to differ, RUNNING is sooooo much harder than swimming!!  We all have our strengths and our weaknesses which makes this such a cool sport because hopefully they all balance out and the finish line is where we all meet up!
2010-04-20 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2803613

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Hi Tammy!
Congrats on all you've accomplished! That is amAzing!
Welcome to Hilde's group. It's a great place to be Smile 
2010-04-20 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

Hi all,

Hilde seems to already be teaching you all the right ways of doing things so you don’t look like some of us during our first tri’s.  I wish I had known her before I started!

Some thoughts as I was reading your posts:

Bricks never get easier but you can make them a little less painful or jarring by going into an easier gear and spinning at a higher cadence or the very last part of your bike ride (in a sprint race, I’ll try to do it for .5 of a mile).  It seems to allow my body to feel not quite as heavy legged as I begin the run (and I have heavy legs to begin with).

Equipment – Because I wear contacts, sunglasses move from the really nice to have to almost the necessary category on the bike.  Between wind and road debris flying up, I can barely function on the bike without them.  One ride was all it took to convince me to never go without!

T1 / Rolling Socks - If you are going to use the rolling sock technique (and you should because it works!), practice it on some grass before you do it in a race.  I practiced in my living room and ended up with a sock full of clover during my first race.  Having to put on a wet sock is bad enough but pulling it off, dumping out clover and putting it back on it even worse!  Depending on the length of the grass, I may just put my foot down on a hand towel to get my sock on.

I also split the difference between standing and sitting and kneel down to put on my socks.  The first time I tried standing during a race, I was so dizzy from the swim I nearly fell over.

Unclipping – I just got clipless pedals this year and have totally shared in your falling over pain.  The worst was when I fell over to the right because I unclipped with the left but tried to put my right foot down.  I then got up,  clipped in my left foot to get started, hit a rut or something and immediately fell over to my left.  *sigh*  At least my wife thought it was amusing, once she saw that I was okay.

A little tip that my bike shop gave me about clipping and unclipping:  Always try to unclip with your left foot first so you don’t fall over into traffic.  It was something that I had never thought about and makes pretty good sense, especially for those of us in more urban areas.

I hope this helps!

2010-04-20 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Ohhhh - good tip on unclipping the left foot so as to not fall into traffic. I'll switch to my left now since I'm no good at it yet anyway! LOL.

I think my spinning instructor was trying to kill me this morning. She really can be EVIL sometimes! LOL! Between that and lifting upper body (to failure) I'm was beat! Feel great now that it's done though!

I can't figure out how to reply to the inspires...if I click reply it takes me to your blog (Hilde) but then I don't know where to type my reply. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple but...DOH! I can't figure it out. So I'm not trying to be rude by not replying (blush!)

Hope you're all having a wonderful day

2010-04-20 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2800148

User image

Seminole, FL
Hey Jordie!Man girl I am so excited to see a new person to the sport! Yes, they do call them bricks for a reason. Embrace them. Live them-love them. You will get used to them. I am now way faster right off the bike than cold. Can't wait to see you on your first race day post Keep the race in your mind as you train. Be your own biggest fan in your head. 3/4 of it is mental. I sing, "The Eye of The Tiger" to myself and sometimes out loud during a race. Tris are a blast!
2010-04-20 3:17 PM

User image

Harrison Twp
hi i'M MIchele, (typing is not one of my strong ablities, so read between the lines of mistakes) i am 49 I will be 50 Undecided September 8 and i have had a goal to do a triathlon for years before my 50th birthday. i am a procrastinator but now i'm finally starting my training. I have registered for the White Lake Fall Challenge in NC on 10/10/10.
I Live in PA, mother of 2 beautiful daughters, my oldest Beth, who lives here in PA and she has 2 wonderful boys Thomas-9 and Nathan5. and my youngest daughter is married and lives in Pensacola FL and i am going to fly out and see her for a few day tomorrow, so my training will be off for another week, but she has a bike and i can run.

I am a registered nurse and work at hospital 3 blocks from the house i bought last fall, my mother, who now lives with me loves to feed people.

I have ran 2 full marathons the Pittsburgh marathon in 1988, and the Grandma's marathon in Duluth MN in 2008. I have also done  several 1/2 marathons Pittsburgh, Disney Princess in FL,lying Pig in OH. and Erie in PA.

These races were all done with minimal training (procatinator) and no training outside, always on a treadmill. so i am now getting outside in the elements and enjoy it. I still have to get a bike, and since i don't know if i will like triatholons i will get  a inexpensive bike for now. so that's me, i am trying to put on a picture but i am having a hard time making it small enough, but i  will get it. Michele
2010-04-20 4:28 PM
in reply to: #2805194

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Yea Michele, love the new avatar and thanks for the background info!!  Looks like you will be entering the 50-54 age group this year (you enter the age you will become within the year), which is probably a good thing!  45-49 is much more competitive and some of  those ladies are FAST!!

Sounds like you have the running thing down and have fun buying a bike!!  Maybe you can do an Open Water swim while you are in Pensacola...   I hope you like this sport... it's very challenging training and racing in 3 events at the same time!

Have a great trip, and don't worry about the training while you're there, enjoy yourself, if you can get out for a run, great, if not, don't worry about it!  (It'll be waiting for you at home!)
2010-04-20 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
@Jen. Thanks! I am dreading these bricks. I ran yesterday after spin, but that was after about ten minutes of stretching so it didn't feel odd. And...I have Eye of the Tiger on my ipod! It's on my workout playlist. Love those songs that get me through the tough workouts.

@Michele. Hi! Welcome to the group! I had to laugh a little when you said you didn't train for you races because you are a procrastinator. I am usually guilty of that, but I'm working on it! Hope you enjoy your vacation Smile

2010-04-20 5:31 PM

User image

Harrison Twp
THanks HIlde, that was so nice of you to comment, I will try to get out to into the bay for a short swim, get past that little flight (not realy a fear) of the open water, I love to swim, but have no experience in the open water. later in the year i will take a short drive up to Lake Erie for a little open water practices. It will be a challenge, but i will do it.

2010-04-20 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2805420

User image

Harrison Twp
Thanks Hilde, that picture was take in Feb at San Diego Wild Zoo, I was being a 'tourist' and having fun doing it.
2010-04-20 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2805505

User image

Harrison Twp
I have to train on this adventure, I won't be able to do a 1/2 tri with luck. not only that the procrastination is something i want to work on. teach a dog new tricks thing
2010-04-20 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2805505

User image

Harrison Twp
I have to train on this adventure, I won't be able to do a 1/2 tri with luck. not only that the procrastination is something i want to work on. teach a dog new tricks thing
2010-04-20 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Welcome Michelle! Hopefully we can motivate you to stop procrastinating and get out there and train...you can do it! I hope you have a great trip!

I have a swim planned for tomorrow and I just got a new little book called Workouts in a Binder, Swim workouts for Triathletes. I'm gonna scan through it and pick something that will keep me interested. Anyone have a swimman (like an iPod for the water). I've got that on my "someday" list - it would make swimming so much less lonely!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41