BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-04-17 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2778561

Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
Hilde,
My name is Shalyn, and I would love to be a part of your group.  I was immediately drawn to your sense of humor and positive attitude - plus we have some things in common.  

A little about me:

Family:  Married to a gorgeous man and his Air Force career for 18 years.  Four children.  Two girls 22 and 16 and two boys 13 and 9.  One dog - her name is Dixie Doodle Darlin' - she is a 5 yr. old. retriever, lab, shephard mix pound puppy.

Work:  I am high school government and economics teacher in Prattville, Alabama.  I am also the head coach of the cross country team - which I love!

I am pushing 40 this year but I kinda feel 20-something.  I have been running since high school, never competitively, just my drug of choice.  I am passionate about trail running, but I do run a few road races every year. I am running the Nashville half next Saturday.  

I want to better myself at whatever I am doing and I am more open to trying new things; living an adventure.  I think triathlons are just an extension of that.   My dad was a triathlete and I would love to follow in his footsteps.  He did his first when he was in his late 30's and loved the sport.  He died 10 years ago. Colon cancer took him at 51.  I miss him, but I still feel him cheering my on.

Challenges:  My life is pretty stressful and very busy so finding the time to train will be tough.  I've got the run part down and I can bike and swim, but I have no idea what I'm doing.  Other than running shoes, KT tape and reusable ice packs, I have NO equipment.  I do love to shop though, so maybe that isn't such a bad thing.  

2010-04-17 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2798136

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Okay, add two more!

rogrunner - Shalyn
TTucker - Tammy

I'm still waiting to hear back from one more person, but I should hopefully have our list done by this evening, or tomorrow.

THIS GROUP IS NOW OFFICIALLY CLOSED!!

Edited by hildekq 2010-04-17 6:27 PM
2010-04-17 7:30 PM

User image

Seminole, FL
2010-04-17 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Any good workouts done/planned for this weekend? Today was my day off. Hoping to get a good 5-6 mile run in tomorrow - it would be great if it would ever stop raining though...I HATE the "Dreadmill"! I am running in a half marathon relay (2 person team) next Sunday...my leg of the race is 7 miles and really hilly...yikes!
2010-04-17 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
I did an hour bike today. It was quite windy and chilly, but at least I had sunny skies!
Tomorrow I plan on swimming for 20-30 minutes. It's the event I need the most work on.

Good luck on your race, Marsha.  I am looking forward to when I can run that far. A 5k is still pretty rough on me. Smile

2010-04-18 4:30 AM
in reply to: #2798899

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Where are all of you located?  I guess they didn't add that to the Bio questions!  Not sure if I had that in mine either, but I am in central Texas, a town called Temple that is about halfway between Austin and Waco.  And it's been raining for a couple of days!  So ready for some sunshine....

I'm up early getting ready to go race!!! 

2010-04-18 6:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Good luck on your race, Hilde!
I'm in Racine, WI. It's about two hours north of Chicago. We have been having some pretty mild weather lately. Everyday is a surprise. One day it's 70 the next it's 50. It's all part of the fun!
Up early to go swimming. Hope I can get a lane.  
2010-04-18 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Good Morning Everyone.  Its grey and a bit cold (41 degrees) in SE Michigan.  I have a long run on tap for later this AM.  The plan calls for 17 miles.  On Friday I stepped on a stone which bent my big toe up.   For the past 2 days its been giving me problems.  I'm not in real pain, it just feels sore all of the time.  I'm concentrating on not altering my stride, but it is a challenge.    Hope everyone's Sunday goes well.
2010-04-18 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
It's in the low 40's here too (New Hampshire) and on and off rain - I'm going to try to get out for my 5-6 miles in about an hour and keep my fingers crossed that I make it out and back between rain showers because 40's and rain will be sooooo cold!

Good luck on your race Hilde!
2010-04-18 1:12 PM

User image

Good luck with your race, Hilde!

I live outside of Atlanta and certainly can't complain about the weather here.  Sunny and in the 70's and 80's for the past 10+ days now.  The high pollen counts make it tough to breathe at times, but the weather has been great.  Unfortunately, work has been busy lately which has made training time scarce.  It should taper off after this week and I hope to hit the ground running (literally) again.  

My wife and I agreed that I would not get a bike until I could swim a mile and run a 5K, so I don't have any wheels yet.  I love to swim, so I was able to accomplish the first part this winter.  Now I am starting a couch to 5K program again and hope to be there by mid to late May.  

The only race I currently have scheduled is the www.warriordash.com in late May.  It's more of an adventure race with a 3.22 mile run, but it looked like a lot of fun as well as a good motivator to get me moving.  

2010-04-18 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Back from my 17 miler.  No matter how you slice it, it is a long way.  I've done better, I've done worse.  Missed my goal pace by 5 seconds per mile.  Oh well, its in the log and its HISTORY.  How did everyone else do?

2010-04-18 1:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Way to go on the 17 miles! WOW.

I am planning to do one of the Warrior Dash events in September...just looks like plain 'ol getting dirty fun!

I set out to do 5-6 and ended up doing 7. It wasn't the best feeling run but my pace was good (for me) at 9:40/mile. I ended up taking a new route and got out a bit further than I had planned - no choice then but to run home. To top it off I had to be home by a certain time so my husband could leave for work so I had to kick it up a notch the last 2 miles (yippee for negative splitting!). I'm beat!

Tomorrow is a short run, abs/core an upper body lifting day
2010-04-18 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2799629

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Had a great race and thanks for all the well-wishes!!!  It is the first time I've done a tri that was not chip-timed... I'm not 100% sure of my overall time, but it was around 1:33ish for a 750m swim, 20K bike, 5K run.  There were so few people that we all started in one wave!  I brought home an award for 1st place Grand Master's Female (1st for women over 50), but I'm pretty sure I was 3rd overall female, and also 1st place Master's Female (1st place over 40).  Without the chip timing I have no official splits but Tammy (TTucker) my good BT friend who is also part of our mentor group went along and did some splits for me on her Polar, she's sending them to me later.  Felt like a good race for me, and I did NOT have to walk during the run and managed to hold a 10:11 pace (unbelievably FAST for me, a PB for a tri!).  You can check my blog later for the link to the race report!!

Janet, way to go on 17 miles!!!!  I don't even want to think about that right now, you give ME motivation just by doing it!

Marsha, what part of NH are you from?  I graduated from Keene State!  LOVED NH!
2010-04-18 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2799737

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Okay here is our official list... hopefully you can cut and paste this onto your blog page and be able to access everyone's blogs/training logs from it.  You can also add everyone as a friend either through the settings button above, or on the left side of your blog page, scroll down to friends and click the "+" sign, type in everyone's user name and update and they should be there.  Then you can just click on their avatar or name to get to their blog.

hildekq - Hilde
jcarmody - Janet
JenMcConnell - Jen
Jonathan Swift - David
jordiebrigs - Jordan
nina44shell - Michele
tstl - Tammy
wrkinprogress - Alex
wsilverthorne - Wilson
bif - Carl
dajotkjo - Denise
kellekl - Kory
mistercdub - Carl
peggyf - Peggy
PTWykes - Marsha
rogrunner - Shalyn
TTucker - Tammy
2010-04-18 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilde - I just moved to HN in October. I live near Dartmouth College...in Lebanon.

Thanks for the list of pals!
2010-04-18 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Everyone did so awesome today! 
I ended up doing weights and swimming 45 minutes.

I have a question for those who have done triathlons. How do you run after the bike ride? Do you just keep practicing and you get used to it?
After my bike ride the other day I thought I would just jog from the garage to the house to see what brick legs felt like. They felt like brick legs! I felt like I could barely lift my legs.
Any advice?

Thanks!
Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the evening! 

2010-04-18 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Jordie - I've done several bricks and so far it never seems to feel any better - it takes me almost a mile to feel like my legs belong to me! yuck! Hey, by the way, I used to live in New Berlin, WI (outside of Milwaukee) and used to travel to Racine and Beloit a lot for various swim meets...are you from there originally?
2010-04-18 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2800175

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Marsha, 
I've lived here all my life. It's pretty nice. 
So I better start practicing these bricks. Ugh.

2010-04-18 9:05 PM

Veteran
Way to go Hilde. Sounds like you did great in your tri!

Regarding bricks and biking after running, I've heard it helps if you push a bit less on the last mile of the bike. I just expect and know that my legs will not feel good at all for the first mile or so of the run, but I also know that they will feel better after that.

-kory
2010-04-18 9:36 PM

Greetings Hilde,

Great Job today!  Anytime you can achieve a PB it is a great day.  Thanks so much for leading this group.  Your experience will benefit all of us!

Carl
2010-04-18 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2799585

Hi Janet,

Wow!  17 miles is quite a run.  As a fellow Michigander, this is even more impressive given today's lackluster weather.  Since I have only completed day 1 of the Couch to 5K, 17 miles seems like an impossible number.  I do know that one day, I will achieve it. 

Hopefully we will get a chance to meet at one of the events this year.  I have not registered yet, but my likely 2 events will be the Tri for Life on July 18 and the Barefoot on Labor Day weekend.  I may also try to squeeze in a 5K or 2 during the year once I can actually run that far. 

Keep up the great work! 

Carl

2010-04-18 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2799084

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
I'm located in the suburbs of Indianapolis, IN.  Weather here has been crazy too.  Friday was 83 and sunny - today was 55 and windy, which made the ride that much more fun!  If the Garmin 305 is right....a 300ft hill shouldn't be that hard, should it?  I was nearly looking for an exit ramp - but wasn't sure I could unclip quick enough so I kept pedaling!Cool
2010-04-18 11:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I live in Phoenix where it hit (sigh) 96 today. It's already summer :-(

And as for bricks, I was hoping someone would say 'why yes, they get much easier as you practice.' I've done maybe 3 or 4, counting my one triathlon, and they were all pretty awful. Not that I needed anything to make me hate running more, but boy, I hate running off the bike! Why can't the run be first?

Tammy 
2010-04-19 4:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Morning everyone -

Sounds like we all had a good weekend.  Congrats to our fearless leader - Hilde.  PB and all! 
Carl - I may actually consider the Tri for Life event you mentioned in July.  I also haven't signed up for anything, but I will!  I'm actually thinking about joining the tri class through Running Fit.  Its at Island Lake State park, 2 meetings each month, 7 total.   I haven't completely decided, but I'm leaning that way.

Today's schedule calls for some concentrated pool time.  I had a lesson last week and really felt that I got some good swimming tips.  I know a lot of you are swimmers, I'm not so I need to work on it.

Janet
2010-04-19 6:27 AM
in reply to: #2800519

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Looks like most of us had a great weekend either training or racing!!  As far as bricks go... I haven't found them to feel better with practice, just part of the sport.  My cadence feels too fast, legs feel rubbery, takes about a mile before the run settles into place.  Of course, the more you practice them the more confident you get that the awful "brick" feeling DOES go away!  Yesterday I made a conscious effort to pedal easier on the last couple of miles of the bike and I had a much better run start.  I normally just hammer away trying to get a good bike split, but after a season of blowing up on the run, I took a step back and started looking at the whole race rather than each leg at a time.  I can swim all out and still bike, but I'm not quite at that point for the bike yet.  Tammy and I were talking about this yesterday and it seems like most of my workouts are in the 1 hour to an hour and 15 minutes... I'm thinking I need to really start focusing on longer runs and bike rides, up to the 2 hour mark so that my body gets used to going that long and won't poop out after an hour and 15! 

One of you asked me about OWS and swimming with your head up for sighting... I rarely lift my head up out of the water, I kind of delay rolling my face back into the water after a breath and keeping my nose in the water, I kind of face my eyes forward just at the water level to sight, if that makes any sense!  Occasionally I HAVE to lift my head out of the water to sight because of waves or swimmers or small buoys, but I try not to because it's going to cut down on your speed.  Just like in biking where you want to reduce air flow, it's the same thing in water, you want to keep as much forward motion as possible with the least effort.  Yesterday's race was great, they had HUGE buoys, couldn't miss 'em!

In fact if y'all have questions, rather than ask me in an inspire, how's about we post here and then we can all share the information?  (Unless it's personal, then you better PM me!)/
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41