BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 172

2010-12-28 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3263744

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - Open

SARAH -

47.......48.......they're really quite interchangeable, placing you nicely in the mid-zone of the age group regardless!

Your comment - "I don't have much experience" - is sort of an understatement, methinks. I think the litany of races oyu've done confers quite a bit of experience, as does the fact that you've been hovering around this stuff for 4 (or is it 5? ) years now. You have to have fairly decent Base as this point, and with one oly behind you know your way around the block quite well, it seems. So, onwards and onwards!

I agree that spin classes aren't ideal for endurance, per se, but they count for an awful lot, really. At the very least they are keeping one fit. Beyond that, they target certain aerobic and even anaerobic capabilities. And beyond THAT (actually, stemming out of the anaerobic part), they acclimate one to a wee bit of suffering -- always a good fall-back capability for triathlons!

Urp. I'm having to move quickly now (SEE NEXT POST!!), and I owe you more. But for now, B2B has moved it's '11 date up a few weeks to ensure that participants will enjoy the full benefits of a current/tide-enhanced swim --- a situation that was sorely lacking for this year's race.

I shall return to you!

2010-12-28 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3264121

User image

Champion

GANG!!!!!!

Daughter Jane, due to fly back to NYC this afternoon, learned an hour ago that her flight has been cancelled, and that the best Continental can offer is a flight on FRIDAY! So, after lots of scrambling there is a contingency plan that is not pleasant and that involves me. To wit: I'm driving her to Albany (~5 hours from here), from where Amtrak will spirit her home,

That means I am gone now until late this evening. Let's see......leave at about 10:15, get her there around 3, deposit her at the curb, and then drive back. With stops and all, that'll land me home sometime between 9 and 11, good roads permitting. (I have to drive through the "North Country" and Lake Placid, so it might be less than ideal. Sigh.)

I WILL check in when I return, see how has jumped aboard, and then resume corresponding with SHARON & ROBERT & PAUL & DUNCAN & GEORGE.....along with those who have written since last night. Yikes! There is no rest for the wicked!

Play nicely together while I'm gone, okay?

2010-12-28 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3256772

I'd like to join the group. I have done 4 triathlons and am looking to improve.  My goal race is the Eagleman in June of 2011.
2010-12-28 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Hey Steve,
Is there still room in this group? I'd love to join. Let me know and I'll post my bio
Thanks,
Johanne 
2010-12-28 10:59 AM

User image

Reston, Va
Hi Steve,
Have room for me?
Will forward bio if so... I'm turning 50 in March.  Ran a season of sprints in 2008, then went through a series of relocations and lost my training partners, motivation, but managed to gain 40 lbs!
Let me know!
Bob 
2010-12-28 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3263739

User image

Veteran
Central Point
Thanks Steve,

That race last year was probably the hardest single thing I have ever done. I talked to my spin class instructor after and she said she would have steered me away from that race as a first race. I learned a lot from that race though. The importance of hydration and nutrition both of which I was 
not prepared for. The swim was exactly what I thought it was but the bike... 13mi of MTB 9 of it single track is not the same as 13mi on a road bike not by a long shot. By the time I got to the run I was toast. I finished and that's all I can say not pretty not fast but I finished.

Central Point is in Southern Oregon about 35 miles North of CA on I5 the main freeway that runs from Canada to Mexico.

This year I think I want to put together an actual training plan instead of the seat of my pants plan from last year of bike/spin 3 days run 3 days swim when I can fit it in.

2010-12-28 11:30 AM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA

Thanks for the reply Steve, this sounds like it will be a great group.  IMAZ was so fun I didn't care about the wind, but it was wicked, the downhill where I had done about 30 mph in a training ride was about 10-12 mph.  The "fun" part I think was just overcoming all my fears, open water swimming, making cut off times, and knowing I really was going to finish.  I would recommend this race to anyone for a first time ironman.
I just sent in registration for full Vineman last week, it is July 30.  I need something big hanging over my head, being slow this has increased the challenge with a 16 hour cut-off.
I plan to do an oly in May and a half in early June, I'm not sure which ones yet but they are part of my  training plan.  I look forward to getting to everyone in the group.
Melinda

2010-12-28 11:38 AM

New user

Lutherville
I would like to join your group.

Signed up for my first sprint tri as a Christmas gift to myself. Centennial Park - Columbia, Maryland, USA 0.62mi Swim - 17.5mi Bike - 3.4mi Run on June 26, 2011.
As a newbie, I have concerns about my ablility to successfully pull this off; but with some guidance I trust I will.

I'm 44 married with 2 boys (4 and 8). My weight is 170; height 5'10". I think I can stand to loose a little weight, but overall, I don't feel I have a weight issue.  I sustained a knee injury (torn miniscus) during Middle School, an since my right knee is a little unstable and makes a nice cracking noise. Other than a couple of patellar dislocations a while back ago (caused by sudden twisting motions during racquetball days), I haven't had much knee problems. Every once in a while develop cramping of the calves when swimming. Don't know if my left shoulder is developing some problems as well (general joint soreness after swimming). That's the extent of my wear and tear.

Not a competitive athlete by any means, but consider myself physically active. Other than a 5K a while ago, don't have experience of competing in swim/run/bike. However, I have always enjoyed working out using all 3 sports (as well as some weight training) as part of my regular workout rutine. I have been going to our local gym which has a pool for about 2 years now (started out as another past Christmas gift). Feel as fit as I have ever been and after seeing my wife complete her first 5K run this Fall, I feel the need to test myself. Kinda hoping our boys will also be inspired to have an active lifestyle through their parent's example.  

Have been working on my swimming skills (using the Total Immersion Freestyle DVD) for about a year now. Completed a 800m swim workout recently. Did a 14 mi continuous (28mi total) bike tour this Fall. Completed my first 45 min. spin class today. Can run a 5K on the treadmill. Have access to swim and running coaches through the gym. Began looking at the training rutines and starting to do my research on equipment.

Looking forward to learning and receiving good advice on how to put it all together to achieve my goal of successfully completing my first sprint tri.
2010-12-28 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3264140

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Steve

If you have room please count me in.  I'm 59 and this is my 3rd year doing tris.  Will post complete bio if you have room.

Thanks
Roger

2010-12-28 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
I'd like to join the group.  Ill post my bio in a little bit.
2010-12-28 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
New York
 I would like to join this group if there is still room.  Will post my profile in a bit.
Thanks! 

2010-12-28 1:45 PM

User image

Is there still room? 

NAME: Laura/mrsostrowski

STORY: This is my first multi-sport season.  I started running last March and I completed a half-marathon in October.  It has been an amazing ride and I really want to continue exploring other sports and triathlons.  I have also lost almost 75 pounds and I have about 40 more that I would like to lose. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married 

CURRENT TRAINING: I have used the Jeff Galloway method to train for the half and I would like to build up to running consistently for long distances.  I live in Wisconsin, so I can't train too much on bike right now, but I like to go to spin class once in a while.

THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010): many 5k's, half-marathon.

2011 RACES: Irongirl (I believe sprint?) and 1 more half-marathon.  Probably more!

WEIGHTLOSS: I have lost almost 75 pounds and I have about 40 more to go.  Getting stronger every day!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm ready to learn and looking to give/get inspiration!
2010-12-28 1:56 PM

User image

Champion
Those of you who have appeared since my last post on page 3---you're in! Welcome! I'm still on the road to Albany, still have to return, and then I'll be back here. Later!
2010-12-28 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mobile
Wow Laura, 75 lbs, that is great.  I want to see if I can lose atleast 50 lbs by 12/31/2011.  So you did a half marathon last year? when did you start training?  Another one of my goals is to do a half marathon on 11/26/2011.  I just started training last Friday and have not done any exercise before that since around 1995.  I just hope I can go from running 10 yards to 13 miles in 11 Months.  I know it will be a lot of hard training but I also look forward to getting through the finish line and knowing what I just accomplished.  Keep up the good work and I hope you and everyone else stays part of this group so I can pick everone's brain on what they have accomplished.  It seems we have a great group of people at all different levels.  I look forward to talking with everyone.

Thanks
George
2010-12-28 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3264732

User image

Veteran
gdsemiller - 2010-12-28 11:57 AM Wow Laura, 75 lbs, that is great.  I want to see if I can lose atleast 50 lbs by 12/31/2011.  So you did a half marathon last year? when did you start training?  Another one of my goals is to do a half marathon on 11/26/2011.  I just started training last Friday and have not done any exercise before that since around 1995.  I just hope I can go from running 10 yards to 13 miles in 11 Months.  I know it will be a lot of hard training but I also look forward to getting through the finish line and knowing what I just accomplished.  Keep up the good work and I hope you and everyone else stays part of this group so I can pick everone's brain on what they have accomplished.  It seems we have a great group of people at all different levels.  I look forward to talking with everyone.

Thanks
George

George,

Just remember to start out slow with proper techniques.  Speed will come later on down the road.  You will ultimately get to your goal sooner if you focus on technique first because you will hopefully not have as many injuries.   This has help me in the past with my cycling
2010-12-28 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mobile
Subject: RE: Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED
Thanks for the advise.  I found a couch to 5k program that I will start on Thursday.  It has me training 3 days a week.  I do have a question, on my off days do I need to rest or can I do some strength training for my legs and upper body.  I know I have to take some time off to rest but out of the 4 days of rest I wasn't sure if I can do other things like riding the station bike at the gym or strength training for maybe 2 of the 4 days.  This will still allow me to rest 2 days a week.  Any advise will be great.

Thanks
George 

2010-12-28 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Hey George,

In the early stages, rest on your rest days. At the beginning, when your body is just getting used to all of this again, give it time to recover properly to avoid the freak-out injuries that you can do yourself. Loads of stretching is good, and walks can be ok, but make sure you're staying injury-free. Overdoing things is your enemy at this stage of training. You'll be fantastically fit before you know it, try and enjoy the journey to that point. Impatience is an issue for me too, but it's easy to mistake feeling good after training for being ready to do more.

Keep at it. Log your training so we can swing by and leave encouragement!

Jac

Edited by mathsgeek 2010-12-28 2:46 PM
2010-12-28 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Closed??!!! I wonder if I'm in? I'll have to wait until Steve gets back tonight This might be more stressful then a race

Have a safe drive home!
Johanne
2010-12-28 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
New York
Hi all,
wanted to get my profile in...

NAME: astorm65/Alex

STORY: I have just started training for my first tri season.  I enjoy bike riding both road and mountain biking.  I got inspired to do triathlons by the latest Biggest Loser season where they showed the triathlon.  To me it was so amazing.  

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing the Couch to Sprint program here on BT.  not really going from the Couch but in Swimming and Running I am so thought it was the most appropriate place to start.

THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010): None

2011 RACES: 3 sprints this year.  June, July and August all about a month a part.

WEIGHTLOSS: Over the last year I have lost 80 lbs and am looking by June to lose another 30-40 lbs.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I am enthusiastic and excited about training and participating in a group of like minded people.
2010-12-28 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
NAME: Daniel AKA LycraClapChamp

STORY: I have just started training for my first tri season.  I have been mountain biking about 5 years ago and  road riding for about the past 3 years; On and off, lately its been more off since relocating after college.  I am also an avid home brewer and will be entering some completions this year as well.  I got inspired for triathlons after watching the Kona Tri event on TV.  I figure if people with ALS and other disabilities (like Rudy who has lost most of both of his legs) why cant I do this.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: I have not decided on a plan to follow yet.  I was thinking about just swimming/running/cycling once a week after work and weight training before work( I have been weight training for several months now).  I have a lot of things to ponder in terms of training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010): None

2011 RACES: 2 Sprints and 1 Olympic, not too sure which ones yet

WEIGHTLOSS: about -15 pounds. I would like to drop about 20 pounds. I want to be fit skinny not fat skinny.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I am enthusiastic and excited about training.  However I get distracted easily by my buddies so I tend to miss weekend morning workouts.
2010-12-28 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Would Love to get in on this group
Steve, if you have room for one more newbie I would love a new virtual home.  Here are some of my personal details:

Name: James

ME:  
After being way to fat for way to long last november after watching food inc. I decided enough was enough and I needed to get into shape.  On 11/7/09 I weighed in at a whopping 335#; my goal was to lose 100# by the time that we put our offshore fishing boat back in the water in April!  After a lot of sweat equity and learning how to eat right I made my goal on 4/11/10.  Once I started to get into some shape I started to train for my first Marathon.  About 12 weeks into the program I shattered my leg from all the running; this brought me to the biking.  After the biking bug bit me in a big way I needed a new longer term goal.  And what better goal than to complete my first Olympic distance Tri.  I have a few races picked out for the spring (sprints) and a few (olympic) distance races picked out for later in the summer.  And maybe just maybe a HIM in the early to late fall.  I have yet to start my swim training but I am signed up for Total Immersion at the end of January.

Family Status: Married

Current Training: Right now I am training 6-7 days about 2 hours a day or 25 hours a week.  Now that the weather is cold my long road rides on weekends have been cut back so my time is decreasing as I need to get a trainer or rollers.  I am trying to run and bike at least 4 times a week for each.  After total immersion at the end of the month I will start my swimming. 

2011 Races: I have 8 races targeted with the first few being sprints and then 3 olympic distance races towards august. 

Weightloss: I am at about 222. I have been as low as 203 but I could not hold that weight.  I want to be at 185lbs for my first tri. 

Goals:  
Goal #1 Not be the last person to finish or drown on the swim!
Goal # 2 Not have to tread water or any other swim assist or walk on the run. 
Goal# 3 Hit 185# for my august races
Goal # 4 Increase my run distances to feel comfortable with a HIM 

2010-12-28 6:11 PM

Centennial, Colorado
Alright Steve, I'm super excited about getting into your group. As promised here is a profile of me. Sorry if it's a little long.
Name: Paul C.

ME: AGE: 36. I started doing triathlons five years ago when my brother-in-law got me interested in doing it. Growing up I participated in the typical sports of soccer, basketball and football. I also ran track and cross country in high school. I have always enjoyed being active and I love competition. I love that triathlon allows me to work towards something and gives me some of that competitive outlet that I crave. I also really enjoy the camaraderie that I feel when I train and race with other triathletes of all abilities.

Family Status: Married with three young boys 9, 7, 4. My dear wife is supportive and tries to train and compete in local tris and running races when possible.

Current Training: Since last July I have had some real difficulties getting motivated to train. Starting in April of last year I completed four events including a HIM followed by a 24 hour running relay race by the middle of July and was really worn out. I was dealing with significant foot blisters for the first time and felt week and overused. Since then I have tried several times to get back to training but have really struggled.

2011 Races: I have a few local races that I really like to do, and will chose 2 or 3 of those, but my big goals are doing better at the Boise 70.3 than last year, and also compete at the Boulder 70.3.

Weightloss: Two years ago I lost 25 pounds to get down to 170, but because of the struggles I have had I now need to lose 15 to get back to that race weight.

Goals: I would say my goals are to get motivated to train like I used to, lose the extra 15 pounds and be prepared to race like mad at two 70.3s this year.
2010-12-28 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose
NAME: Johanne

STORY: I started running a couple of years ago to lose some weight and get in shape. I have horses which keeps me pretty physically active but I love to eat so I needed something a little more consistent I have a few friends and family that have gotten into tri's and it all looked so fun. I did my first sprint this past year and it was a huge challenge. I was ready to quit during the swim but didn't knowing that my friends knew I was racing. I love the idea of a mentor group to help hold me accountable! My husband cheered me on for that first tri then decided to join me so we finished the year with our first Oly on our 28th anniversary. Overall, it was a great year of challenges and fun races. I'm looking forward to stepping it up in 2011 and do my first 1/2 IM and my first marathon. My main focus is to finish a race feeling good and wanting to race again. As long as it stays fun I'll keep going!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to the ever patient Dave for 28 years and Mom to 3 kids, a young man of 24 and young ladies who are 22 and 20. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I'm following a Hal Higdon plan for my first marathon in early March. At the end of February I'll start BT's 1/2 IM training plan for my first 1/2 IM in July. In the meantime I'm trying keep my biking and swimming up and doing some TRX 3 times a week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010): 3 Sprints and 1 Oly. Added in 4 1/2 marathons and a 60K bike tour.

2011 RACES: So far, 2 Oly's, 2 1/2 IM and a couple of 1/2 marathons.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost about 50 pounds in the last couple of years and would like to lose another 20-25 depending on how I look/feel

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: 2010 was my first year of tri's and I've loved it. One of my favorite things about the sport is how supportive everyone seems to be of each other at races and I'd love to get my own sense of community here on BT. I love learning about this sport and am looking forward to being part of a group.

Thanks,
Johanne
2010-12-28 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3263799

User image

Philadelphia, PA
Steve -- We are finally dug out and watching the Eagles as I write this! Hope your ride wasn't too bad.

I have many pool options to choose from, including local Y, LA fitness, and a local community center. Trying now to pick best option for me. I workout at my office gym for free, so trying to minimize cost of paying for use of a pool for once or twice a week. The Y is the most expensive and farthest from me (20 mins) but is brand new and i think most likely to make me want to go. I'm going to swim there this week and see. I was planning on waiting on swim until Spring, but now im thinking I might start 1x/week on Saturday mornings now and increase to 2x in the Spring. Also might start with lessons one day a week in Spring.

Any advice on starting swim now vs. later? I do feel like I'm ready to add a fifth day of workout. Is it a mistake to start swimming before the lessons? Don't want to build bad habits, but I think lessons might be of better use if I'm a bit more in pool shape.

Thanks, Adam.
2010-12-28 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3265116

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Would Love to get in on this group
Hello all

NAME: Roger

ME: Began running in '79.  Did two Olys in the early 80s but when we had our second daughter, I backed off to just cycling.  Started running again in the mid 90s.  Have done countless 10k, 1 marathon,  10+ century rides.  In 2005 a doctor put on some meds that almost killed me.  For the first time in my adult life, I couldn't exercise and gained 30lbs.  Finally figured out the problem in late '08 and started training for Tris Jan 1 '09.  Did 2 Olys in '09 and the same 2 again in '10.  Also ran two HM in the fall with my wife.  I've lost 20lbs but those final 10lbs seem to have grown very fond of me and won't leave.

FAMILY: married to an incredible woman for 35 years.  She runs half marathons and we do all of long runs together.  Two daughters 24 & 26.

CURRENT TRAINING: Run 6x wk for a HM in Wrightville Beach in late March.  Until then I do a spin class each week and swim 1-2x wk.  After the HM, I will begin focusing strictly on Tris.

2011 RACES: Wrightsville Beach HM - March,  Kerr Lake Oly - June,  Lake Logan Oly - Aug,  HIM in Sept or Oct

Edited by bhc 2010-12-28 8:06 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 172