BT Development Mentor Program Archives » robin314159's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2011-01-08 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3287065

Subject: RE: robin314159's Group - OPEN
Wait, so who all is from Chicago? and where?  I live in the city, two miles north of Wrigley Field. 

2011-01-09 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3260751

User image

Subject: RE: robin314159's Group - CLOSED
Ok, see I am a bit overwhelmed. I am trying to prioritize what I need to do:

-Beginner Swim Clinic At the YMCA- begins next Tues- need to get a swimsuit and goggles

-Start thinking about getting a bike- I borrowed one for the one charity race i did

-decide if I want to join a local Beginner Tri group that begins in March; pros: lots of expert advice and personalized attention and very structured prog; cons: @250 while Y's less structured prog is free w/ my membership (they offer seperate running, swimming, biking clinics but running for ex is during day)

~Even if I do the more structured Beg Tri program, what should I do in terms of running/biking during Jan and Feb before the Beg tri program starts? Thanks for everyone's comments and feedback! ~Kecia
2011-01-09 5:22 PM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Hey all,

First real change this weekend to do some things on the computer. As it is already past midnight over here I will keep it a bit short.

First of all big thumbs up to the whole group. Though I'm not reacting to them in detail now I do wanna let you all know that I read them and they really inspire me to continue in achieving the goal of doing a tri.

@ Robin: Wow thank you for the detailed reply. Loving it. In regard to the run: I'm aware that indoors is quite a lot different. Though due to my overweight still I wanna stay on the save side in regard to the surface I run on. I do run on a track on sundays. And yes I do have some biking expierence like every dutch citizin. I think we an average dutch citizin owns at least two bikes. I will try and look for a picture to give you all a clue on how coming biking is over here.

My goal for next week is to insert my training plan on the BT site and add you all as friends. I'm really curious to see all your progress in the training over the last week.

Final note: I've registered for a course this february to become an official for tri's and tomorrow I will have an introduction training at a local tri club. It will be swimming.

Cheers,

Stijn

2011-01-09 8:29 PM

New user

Ohio
Name: Kim Reese
Story: Well, I'm 22 (23 next month. Yikes!) I go to BGSU in Ohio and I'm a full time student. Working out always makes me feel better so I've decided to start training for a triathlon in July.
Family status: Single
Current training: Starting Tomorrow!! I'm pretty stoked about it I found a 20 week plan that involves swimming, biking, and running.
Goal(s) / Race(s) for 2011: Glass City Marathon/5K run/walk in April in Toledo and a triathlon July 31st.
Weight Loss: Not really looking to loose weight, I am 115 currently, just looking to get back into shape and kick some butt!
2011-01-10 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3280763

Sorry, guys i haven't introduced my self earlier its been a little crazy here with my sister coming back from Hong Kong after 6mths on top of all the training for my race in Feb, and all my other commitments. Below is a short bio of me:

i am a complete novice with who has registered for a enticer (300, 10, 2) race to be held on the 13th of feb (which will be a challenge) but have never ridden a bike or swam before i started training on the 1st of December 2010 but consider myself of average fitness. I am most concerned about the swim leg and the fact that i will need to do 300m without any breaks in the open water because for two reasons i've never swam in the open water before and i've never swam 300m continuously. However atm i am comfortable swimming 600-800m's in the pool in 25-50m blocks.

NAME: James, i currently reside in Sydney, Australia (we are currently in our summer, so g'day from Australia, went for a swim in the beach yesterday, water was just amazing).

Story: An ex-college of mine gave me the idea that doing a triathlon was a good idea he was a former world champion and inspired me to really challenge myself, set myself a goal and achieve it so here i am!

FAMILY STATUS: I am a 26yo professional, single with no children.

CURRENT TRAINING: I don't really have a training plan atm but if you look at my training log it will give you some idea of what i doing. I am focusing my training on the swim so i am training to fit 3-4 session in the Olympic pool a week and then fitting my training for the run and the bike around that. So 2-3 sessions on the bike (try and get out btw 30-40km pw) and 2-3 session on the run (try to get out btw 6-12km pw).

2011 Races: Elite Energy - Jervis Bay - Callala Beach (Enticer), potential one in March as well (huskinson beach).

Weight loss: is not a big thing for me, for me its more about physique and getting toned, having a low percentage of body fat (bf).

Look forward to training with you all!!

James

robin314159 - 2011-01-04 7:42 PM Hi Stephi! Hi Kimboreeser! Hi JamesJong! How's it going!? I would love to hear more about you all. * Name: * Story: * Family status: * Current training: * Goal(s) / Race(s) for 2011: * Weight Loss:
2011-01-10 12:35 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I had a good training day Saturday then some motocross Sunday. I was going to get a bike ride in Sunday but I was to sore from riding my dirt bike. I meant to bring my heart monitor because i think it is as good of a workout as anything.  

This is week 2 for me and here is my plan for the week.

Monday: Boxing pm

Tuesday: Swim 900 yds am, Run 4 miles pm

Wednesday: Bike on the roller 10 miles am, Boxing pm

Thursday: Swim 900 yds am, Run 3 miles am, Boxing

Friday: Bike 10 miles on the roller am

Saturday:Swim 900 yds am, Run 4 miles

Sunday: Depends on weather, hopefully motocross and Bike 12 miles

2011-01-10 4:14 PM

User image

Regular
Utrecht
That looks like a ambitious schedule sir. Good to see you openly admitting to be a sport junk. I still in denial a bit and feel I should keep 1 day a week of, not admitting I haven't really done so for a while.

My plan for this week is:
- Monday: 1st swim training with the triathlon club (1 hour)
- Tuesday: 1st run training with the triathlon club (2 hours)
- Wednesday: Individual swim for 2000m, Spinning 45 min, 30 min jog/run is optional
- Thursday: Off (I will try and do my best)
- Friday: Spinning 45 min, Threadmill training run 45 min
- Saturday: Swim training with the triathlon club (1 hour). 2 hour relaxing bike ride
- Sunday: run training with the gym (1 1/2 hours)

Good luck all this week with your schedule.

2011-01-10 4:17 PM

User image

Regular
Utrecht
Something else: I had my reality check today. During the first swim training with the club there was a 500m test for everyone. They allowed me to just do a 250m test. I did 6'42''. As the pool was divided into 6 lanes I got to be in lane 1 which is the slowest lane. Though the times of the others on the 500m ranged between 8'55'' and 11'25''.

I understand I need some work on it. Though quite content with the expierence. Quite stressfull being in a lane swimming worrying about all people behind you catching up all the time. Did much more splashing than front stroke :D
2011-01-10 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3286035

@Robin: LOL, ya no hill training. When the time comes I will always have Palo Duro Canyon (if your familar with it). There are plenty of hills out that way. And yes I am doing the diet. I am loving it. I have always had a thing for eating healthy but I love that this lays it all out for you. Question: I saw yall talking about the Paleo diet, is it a good thing to continue for tri training?

Thanks so much for having me, you are a great inspiration and I love the group. Learning something new everyday!

2011-01-10 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Kecia - Can you postpone commitment to the tri group til March? That way you can see if you feel like you need them/want to join them then.

Til March, you have a few options. (What month is your tri? -- I know it's summer. Seems you have plenty of time.) You can definitely work on increasing your fitness. You said you don't like running in the cold, so other winter sports could work. Some people do winter maintenance during this time, which includes non-tri sports, such as skiing, mtn biking, aerobics, dancing, whatever. Stuff in the gym can be good too: spin classes, treadmill, indoor pool swimming... Oh, and weight lifting!

So I like plans -- structured schedules. I would be tempted to find a winter maintenance program on BT or somewhere else. Either that, or find a bike / swim focused program that gives me time to work on my biggest weakness. (Sounds like you're doing the swim clinic, so that is good.)

Kim - glad you found the forum and introduced yourself! Welcome, welcome. Are you doing a marathon or 5k in April?

James - Thanks for coming back and introducing yourself as well. Howdy. Wow, you have less than a month. How are your beach swims going?

Brian - that sounds like a fun schedule. That's impressive you've got the rollers down. Dirt bikes are motorized, right? How does that raise the HR?

Stijn - your schedule looks just as ambitious as Brian's!

Christal - I *am* familiar with Palo Duro. We used to watch the musical Texas! down there.

Joe Friel (my training hero) actually recommends paleo for tri training. He has collaborated with Dr. Courdain in coming up with some recommendations. I had lunch with a Ukranian ironman pro once, and she ate salad and meat the day before an ironman. I was surprised, because I thought everyone ate spaghetti the day before a race. Guess not!

Edited by robin314159 2011-01-10 8:39 PM
2011-01-11 6:01 PM

User image

Regular
Utrecht
Embarassed I guess I do train quite a bit as well. But I'm still impressed with Brian and others on here as well who are capable to combine ambitious persnal goals and plans with a family life. I will admit that my daily rythm has changed quite a bit because of the amount of workout hours. So I will still take my hat off for everyone that is capable of maintaining such a busy life (which I presume it is).

Went to the first Run training of the tri club today. Felt great as I was able to keep up with the group I got apointed to. Was impressed by how it was organized as athletes got divided by there 10K times with intervals of 2 minutes. I was selected for the 56 - 58 group. So for us there was one long excersize custom made for us: 2 sets of 800 - 600 - 800 with 200 meter rest and 400 between the sets. The other parts we had to run at a 5'50'' per K.

For some other drills we got grouped to the 48 - 58 group. I'm getting more trilled by the day in joining this club and train more with them. Besides the great impression I get from the trainers I'm also plessant surprised by how sweet and supportive everyone is. As example a gril that shared the same swimming lane with me yesterday came over today to check me on the run. And after the excersize I got invited for dinner in the clubhouse. Seems to be a weekly thing. However I already had plans for the movies.

But this all leads me to a dilemma as well. I love the training at the club, so quite a motivation to incorporate as much as possible of those in my plan. Though how well the try and adjust it to my needs I still think that I will have to given in how I want to organize my training types. I will try and detail this dilemma tomorrow, since this is probably to general for thoughts of you all.

For now it's already 1 AM and past bedtime.

2011-01-11 6:03 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hi group,

How are your workouts going this week? I am checking your blogs and occasionally leaving inspires. But i am seeing a bunch of blank blogs are missed logs. So... how's it going?
2011-01-11 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3293471

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Niezels - 2011-01-11 6:01 PM Embarassed I guess I do train quite a bit as well. But I'm still impressed with Brian and others on here as well who are capable to combine ambitious persnal goals and plans with a family life. I will admit that my daily rythm has changed quite a bit because of the amount of workout hours. So I will still take my hat off for everyone that is capable of maintaining such a busy life (which I presume it is).

Went to the first Run training of the tri club today. Felt great as I was able to keep up with the group I got apointed to. Was impressed by how it was organized as athletes got divided by there 10K times with intervals of 2 minutes. I was selected for the 56 - 58 group. So for us there was one long excersize custom made for us: 2 sets of 800 - 600 - 800 with 200 meter rest and 400 between the sets. The other parts we had to run at a 5'50'' per K.

For some other drills we got grouped to the 48 - 58 group. I'm getting more trilled by the day in joining this club and train more with them. Besides the great impression I get from the trainers I'm also plessant surprised by how sweet and supportive everyone is. As example a gril that shared the same swimming lane with me yesterday came over today to check me on the run. And after the excersize I got invited for dinner in the clubhouse. Seems to be a weekly thing. However I already had plans for the movies.

But this all leads me to a dilemma as well. I love the training at the club, so quite a motivation to incorporate as much as possible of those in my plan. Though how well the try and adjust it to my needs I still think that I will have to given in how I want to organize my training types. I will try and detail this dilemma tomorrow, since this is probably to general for thoughts of you all.

For now it's already 1 AM and past bedtime.

So glad you had a nice training session and that your training buddies are so nice and welcoming!

I enjoyed training with my local tri group back in the day, but it does get a bit hard to schedule if you want to keep your family life and training life separately.

I find that you just have to find your balance with training and your personal/work life. Sometimes that balance is hard and ultimately, that was why I left triathlons because I just didn't want to put in the hours to train....and that's not to deter any of the new members...you have to understand that I'm not someone (at the time) who could just go out there and do the triathlon and I felt that I HAD to put all those hours in to train. I know better now...more in that I don't want to really put in the crazy hours and I'm fine with not having the fastest/best time, but to have the "best" time enjoying it. Does that make sense?

Anyway....bottomline...have fun with it!!

2011-01-11 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3293475

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
robin314159 - 2011-01-11 6:03 PM Hi group, How are your workouts going this week? I am checking your blogs and occasionally leaving inspires. But i am seeing a bunch of blank blogs are missed logs. So... how's it going?

Confession time....

Lost my mojo a bit the last couple of days. I certainly don't live in an area where I can truly complain about the weather (as I know there are quite of few of you in much colder climates!), but we've had very low temps the last couple of days and freezing rain/snow/sleet and we are not prepared for it. Anyhow, all I have is my carport gym and well, below freezing temps just aren't conducive to a workout and I haven't been able to have time until after dark...so there you have it.

I am hoping to get a plan in order. Look for a return, but I'm here to get my tongue lashing. I shall return.
2011-01-11 9:56 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
robin - oops I guess I know about triathlon lingo as much as you know dirt biking hahaha. After you said you were impressed with me on the roller I knew I said something wrong. Using a little google action, I had to laugh. Those look impossible. I am using just a cyclops trainer. Racing a dirt bike (yes it has a motor) can be very intense. My first few races I thought I was going to throw up and they are only 15 to 20 minutes long. I will wear the HR monitor next time I practice, but just like anything it is not the same as a race. 

Stijn - I hear you on the family thing. Luckily my wife is very supportive and it is probably harder on her when I go to boxing 3 nights per week and she has to deal with the kids when the are getting crabby. The other days I am really trying to get the work outs in the am or after the kids go to bed.
2011-01-12 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3293475

New user

Silver Lake
Hi,

Training is going as well as it can considering I am biking, running, and swimming indoors at this time, as you guys porbably know indoor biking and treadmill runs are sooooooo boring!  Hopefully I can start running outside once the snow subsides a little.
Right now I am trying to build up my base and plan to start the 20-week olympic training plan on BT in Feb.

-Robin: thanks for the inspires, it helps to know that someone is watching it gives me a little pressure and motivation to make sure I not only do the training but also keep up on logging it.

Have a great day and train well everyone.
KV

2011-01-12 1:16 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

So I was messing with importing my training plan and now I can no longer access anything I entered. Does that mean I need to upgrade to a paid membership?

2011-01-12 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3295148

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Brian -- no, you should be able to access it by going to Blog > Planned in the "Jump to" menu in the black bar below the ad (when looking at your blog). I see you have one thing planned there.

I don't think that they'll let you import a plan that you don't have membership access to.

2011-01-12 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Stijn -- last year I was training for ironman st. george, finishing my masters degree, leading an aggressive project at work, and trying to maintain a social life. Ultimately I decided my triathlon buddies, co-workers, and colleagues at school needed to be my social life, because I didn't have time for social interaction outside of those things. I don't know how people with families do it either. (Balance? What is that?) Maybe you can get some of your friends and family to go running with you instead of going to the movies. :D

Zee. OK, maybe you get a pass when it's freezing in the South. What's up with that? But come on, there's stuff you can do inside. Pushups, handstand pushups, burpees, situps, air squats... Let's have it! Time for more mojo.

Kerry - Way to be dedicated on the indoor training! I hope you've found ways to make it less boring! I used to set my trainer up right in front of my computer, and do my brainless surfing stuff while i rode... Ugh! Don't envy you with that cold weather stuff.

Edited by robin314159 2011-01-12 2:34 PM
2011-01-12 5:45 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Got it figured out, looks like you have to be paid member to import/export your training plan.
2011-01-12 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3295804

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
BMiller71 - 2011-01-12 3:45 PM

Got it figured out, looks like you have to be paid member to import/export your training plan.

Oh... figures!

2011-01-12 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3285507

Thanx! That is exactly the kind of info. I am looking for! And good luck to you on your journey.
2011-01-13 4:38 PM

Thanks for the advice to get a Trek, are there any other brands that are good, What is everyone using now? How long have you used it? Do you recommend it? Any bike reviews would be aprretiated. Again, I need something pretty cheap for my first bike (under$500, preferably under$300).             Thanks guys!
2011-01-13 4:46 PM

Thanks all for the welcome!

@Robin: I live in Homewood, but we moved here from Thomaston, ME 2.5 years ago, so I'm an East Coast girl at heart. My swimming distance is 300m and it's in a pool cause it's in April, so it's still a bit cold around here. Yesterday I think was the first time I connected with swimming! I decided to give it all I had for my last set in the pool and I ended up swimming 300 m consecutively! I was so proud I almost did a dance, but I thought that would be awkward in a bathing suit with other swimmers around... I've done a lot of training this week cause of first semester finals, I've gotten out of school at 1:20 everday Laughing.
2011-01-13 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3298160

@Christal: Trek is a solid company, we carry them at our shop. They're pretty much the leading bike dealer in the world and are very reliable. Honestly, it's going to be hard to find a decent bike under $500, unless you buy used. If you are looking for something new and you want to go with Trek, I suggest checking out their Lexa line. They're entry level road bikes designed specifically for women, I'm kind of regretting having built up the road bike I did last summer cause I took one spin on the Lexa and was in love with it. It's much easier and more fun to ride longer distances on a bike that fits you right. You can check out more specs and features on Trek's website trekbikes.com. Click on the road tab along the top of the page and then Lexa in the sidebar.
Other decent companies you can check out are Felt (they just released a new women's line of road bikes), we carry Masi which is a smaller brand but they build nice bikes and are a little bit cheaper than Trek you should check out their Bellisima line. Giant and Specialized are other big bike companies that carry entry level road stuff.
However, if buying a new road bike is out of your price range that's understandable, we usually suggest checking out Craig's List or eBay cause you can actually get really nice stuff at a much better price. I suggest you go to your local bike shop first though so you can figure out your frame size and maybe they can point you in the right direction for what kind of bike will fit you best.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » robin314159's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7