BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-01-14 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-OPEN
Hi Jamie,
I am hoping this group is still open and that I can join. My name is Brien and I am 38.

Story: I decided last June that I wanted to do a triathlon, so I signed up for an oly. I didn't own a bike, couldn't swim, and didn't really run.  I completed said oly and immediately did a sprint as well (yah, the bug bit me).  I did, of course, learn to swim and I bought two bikes. One old roadie and one newer tri bike. 

Family Status: Married with two young children. Wife is on board with increased training volume though.

Current training: This week I'm sick, so taking it off. Other than that I've been trying to build a better base of running while throwing in a couple swims and bikes now and then. My log is up to date, but sadly I didn't use it during the summer. I did, however, follow the BT free oly plan religiously for my oly training so you can pretty much guess at what I did. I live in Colorado, so it's not too awfully cold, but I don't like riding outside when it's even a little chilly...I'm crazy, I know. I own a HRM, but no powertap.

Goals:  I know I'm new, but I still want to go long. I'm signed up for Boulder 70.3 and IMAZ in 2011. I'll probably do an oly or two as well and maybe a sprint or two as well, but the half and full IM are my focus right now.

Hoping you still have room. I'm not really *totally* new to BT, but definitely new to this distance and I'm starting to train as soon as I get over this cold.

2011-01-14 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3300174

User image

Windsor, ON
jamiej - 2011-01-14 3:47 PM So I have a few votes to chat a bit about training with power and power meters in general. Does anybody else have some additional questions/topics for the group? Does anybody in the group currently use a power meter? If so, chime in on the kind and pros/cons of it. Do most of you use a GPS watch for running? If so, what kind? Pros/cons? Are you running according to a HR zone or are you running to maintain an average pace? Let's share a bit b/c my way is absolutely not the highway! And besides, my equipment, like myself is getting a little grey around the edges. I'll post my info in a bit but first I need to eat! Jamie

I do not have a power meter for the bike, I am currently using a pretty archaic method to test progress.  I keep the tension constant and the gearing the same and just monitor my "speed" and cadence to use as a baseline.  I know it is not a true speed but it gives me some benchmarks. 

I have been reading Dr. Phil Maffetone's Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing.  And have decided to build my aerobic base through HR training keeping everything under 151 which is my Max Aerobic HR according to his calculations.  This has slowed my running down a bit, but I have had some trouble getting my HR up that high on the bike some days.  I got the book for Christmas, so previous to this I was running and biking by distance and pace goals and ignoring HR.

As for running, I use a garmin 305, I like it quite a lot despite the size.  The only problem I have is the HR monitor has been a little wonky when the gps is on (ie. giving me HR readings of 220 1-2 mins into my run.)  I have just been running lately with the gps turned off and having no problems with the HR.

Thanks for the advice on nutrition, my first race went very poorly and my second (while I thought I had a handle on nutrition) it was hard to tell because of the 40 minute break I had in the middle of the bike waiting to find a chain breaker to shorten my chain into a single gear because my derailleur exploded at the top of a hill.  So needless to say it was not my ideal race.  I know I need to take a more structured approach to nutrition during training to mimic race day.

Edited by Danrl88 2011-01-14 3:41 PM
2011-01-14 3:33 PM

User image

Thanks for all the great fuel/hydration info, Jamie.

I just got a Garmin Forerunner 410 for Christmas.  I absolutely love it, and it's certainly a huge upgrade from the $6.77 Walmart special I used for 2 years prior to the Garmin.  I still get amazed everytime I come home and the Garmin wirelessly pushes my run info to Garmin Connect...then it allows me to quickly import the same workout into the BT log. 

If anyone has any trouble seeing my workout log, let me know.  I believe I've set all the settings to public.

Earlier in the thread...Ray, you wrote a bit about swimming.  The swim coach at my local gym told me about www.swimsmooth.com.  I know everyone has a different opinion about swimming, but that site has been great for me.  Between the info there and the coach my swim times have come way down. 
2011-01-14 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3300213

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Welcome Brien. We have room for you. Check out what we've posted so far and chime in with questions.

Jamie
2011-01-14 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Gear:

For me, I have a wireless powertap that I use for the bike and a Garmin 305 for the run. I like to ride/train with power and run on pace. I don't use HR at all anymore. I did use it for the first 2 years but slowly just stopped caring about HR. There is nothing wrong with HR training. Personally, I've found that training by pace and power have helped me reach my goals. I like my PT and 305 because they are both proven and reliable. Both have been serving me well for training and racing for years. The 305 can be had for pretty cheap nowadays b/c of the new ones mentioned in a previous post.

For those of you interested in run training with pace and not HR, I know of two good resources. I'm sure there are more.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

And the Daniel's book:

http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-Formula-2nd-Jack/dp/073605492...

I really like the Daniel's book. I'm not much of a trainer book junkie but Daniels is definitely one of the better ones.

Jamie
2011-01-14 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3300283

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Danrl88 - 2011-01-14 4:32 PM

jamiej - 2011-01-14 3:47 PM So I have a few votes to chat a bit about training with power and power meters in general. Does anybody else have some additional questions/topics for the group? Does anybody in the group currently use a power meter? If so, chime in on the kind and pros/cons of it. Do most of you use a GPS watch for running? If so, what kind? Pros/cons? Are you running according to a HR zone or are you running to maintain an average pace? Let's share a bit b/c my way is absolutely not the highway! And besides, my equipment, like myself is getting a little grey around the edges. I'll post my info in a bit but first I need to eat! Jamie

I do not have a power meter for the bike, I am currently using a pretty archaic method to test progress.  I keep the tension constant and the gearing the same and just monitor my "speed" and cadence to use as a baseline.  I know it is not a true speed but it gives me some benchmarks. 

I have been reading Dr. Phil Maffetone's Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing.  And have decided to build my aerobic base through HR training keeping everything under 151 which is my Max Aerobic HR according to his calculations.  This has slowed my running down a bit, but I have had some trouble getting my HR up that high on the bike some days.  I got the book for Christmas, so previous to this I was running and biking by distance and pace goals and ignoring HR.

As for running, I use a garmin 305, I like it quite a lot despite the size.  The only problem I have is the HR monitor has been a little wonky when the gps is on (ie. giving me HR readings of 220 1-2 mins into my run.)  I have just been running lately with the gps turned off and having no problems with the HR.

Thanks for the advice on nutrition, my first race went very poorly and my second (while I thought I had a handle on nutrition) it was hard to tell because of the 40 minute break I had in the middle of the bike waiting to find a chain breaker to shorten my chain into a single gear because my derailleur exploded at the top of a hill.  So needless to say it was not my ideal race.  I know I need to take a more structured approach to nutrition during training to mimic race day.

Good points Dan. You hit on one that I like to point out. If you are on a trainer then speed is a good indicator of power all other things being equal. There are a lot of caveats to it but it is a very good 'poor mans powertap'. The only drawback to this is that it's not really applicable to the road b/c, unlike the trainer, you have to figure in terrain, wind resistance and other things into the equation. Great way to train on the trainer but never chase an MPH on during a race. That is a surefire way to blow up!

I know a lot of people check out the Kurt Kinetic 'power meter'. Basically, KK trainers are so well built that they have developed an algorithm to turn speed into a power number. Again, great on the trainer but you can't take it on the road.

As I'm sure you know, the max HR calculations in a lot of these books are guesstimates at best. Testing in a lab with an experience physiologist is really the only way to know your true maxHR. But, I did exactly as you did early on and it worked well enough. Like most things in triathlon, consistency over time yields the best benefits. There are no magic toys or workouts.

Jamie

2011-01-14 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3300437

User image

Can  anyone refer me to a good online article (or site) about HR training?  I know the basics, but I've never really wrapped my mind around it.  Now that I have a HR monitor for both bike and run, I'd like to look into it.
2011-01-14 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3300437

User image

Windsor, ON
jamiej - 2011-01-14 5:32 PM

Good points Dan. You hit on one that I like to point out. If you are on a trainer then speed is a good indicator of power all other things being equal. There are a lot of caveats to it but it is a very good 'poor mans powertap'. The only drawback to this is that it's not really applicable to the road b/c, unlike the trainer, you have to figure in terrain, wind resistance and other things into the equation. Great way to train on the trainer but never chase an MPH on during a race. That is a surefire way to blow up! I know a lot of people check out the Kurt Kinetic 'power meter'. Basically, KK trainers are so well built that they have developed an algorithm to turn speed into a power number. Again, great on the trainer but you can't take it on the road. As I'm sure you know, the max HR calculations in a lot of these books are guesstimates at best. Testing in a lab with an experience physiologist is really the only way to know your true maxHR. But, I did exactly as you did early on and it worked well enough. Like most things in triathlon, consistency over time yields the best benefits. There are no magic toys or workouts. Jamie

When you said you used to use HR training but switched I wanted to ask why the change. 

I have been anything but consistent through my first year of training.  I started out just doing my own thing trying to build up some endurance and distance.  Then I read an article on markallenonline, which was about the Maffetone aerobic HR, so I gave that a try for a while but got bored with the slower pace, went the complete opposite way with some crossfit and crossfit endurance.  Then for a few months finally settled on the 20 week beginner HIM program here. 

Now I think I am at a point where I feel comfortable running at a slower pace to build my aerobic base...but I still fear that this will result in some slower race times this year ( not really my plan)  But like you said consistency yields the best benefits so hopefully this will workout.  Any advice on HR training.  You said pace helped you reach your goals - why do you think that is?  Would that have been possible without the aerobic base built up from HR training?  Just wondering what your thoughts are personally on the pros and cons of HR vs. Pacing.

clewis38 - here is the first article I read on HR training.  http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2/>
It has some info but I am sure there are many others and with a lot more detail, but I figure Mark Allen probably knows a thing or two about training.
2011-01-14 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
I also rock the "poor mans powertap" on the trainer and a Garmin 310xt.  I use the HR monitor, but mostly run based on pace.  I tried to do HR zones last year, but felt that I was going too slow, so I shelved it.  I probably could have given it a little more time.

As for this weekend, Im looking at at 10 mile run tomorrow, hopefully the paths out her in VA are ice free, and 1.5hr on the trainer on Sunday.  Im going to give the water intake test a try on the run, itll be interesting to see how much water I really need in the colder weather, especially since I do a lousy job hydrating on winter runs.
2011-01-14 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
I have a gamin 305 with he and cadence. I normally run with pace and track the bike by cadence. I have tried running by heart rate but it's hard on the ego and pace has worked for me in the past. I'm a little lost on the bike, I normally just try and stay within a 90 cadence. Thats what my local bike shop said I should do. With two kids I can't afford a power meter, especially since I bought a new TT bike as my Xmas gift. I do have one question though. I live in Vancouver and the winters here suck, I do have a trainer but was told with a full carbon bike it's not a good idea to use. I have used I twice and friends told me it's fine but I am now having nightmares about wrecking the bike. What everyones vote on that. Mike
2011-01-15 3:35 AM
in reply to: #3300283

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis

Dan,
I too tried the Maffetone approach for a while (about 3 months) but didn't really like it. I never saw any kind of improvements and switched to running on pace. I'm not in any way saying it doesn't work. It just didn't work for me. My personal thoughts are that HR is a very DEpendent variable. It's dependent on your hydration level, fatigue, sleep, caffeine etc. Now, all of these things are good to know and useful but it was hard to 'control' for all of those variables each and every day. For running on pace you do need to be aware that you will go slower up a hill and faster down but that's about it. Also, there is no cardiac drift in running on pace. I guess in the end is that it just felt right to me. If you have the time and $ I would check out the Daniel's book I referenced with link in an earlier post. Compare the 2 and see what works best for you.

When I was racing on HR for IM I used it to pace the bike and basically ignored it for the run. I was running way too slowly and had a lot in the tank at the end. My HR is always 'high' on the run. It's probably high b/c I never scientifically identified my max HR which is the variable that on which all other HR zones are based.

Also, over the past 6-7 years one thing I found is true in running. More is truly more. Run more miles/week and you will get faster naturally. No question about it. No speedwork needed. Its really that easy.

Jamie

2011-01-15 3:44 AM
in reply to: #3300819

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
mpdiotte - 2011-01-14 10:27 PM

I have a gamin 305 with he and cadence. I normally run with pace and track the bike by cadence. I have tried running by heart rate but it's hard on the ego and pace has worked for me in the past. I'm a little lost on the bike, I normally just try and stay within a 90 cadence. Thats what my local bike shop said I should do. With two kids I can't afford a power meter, especially since I bought a new TT bike as my Xmas gift. I do have one question though. I live in Vancouver and the winters here suck, I do have a trainer but was told with a full carbon bike it's not a good idea to use. I have used I twice and friends told me it's fine but I am now having nightmares about wrecking the bike. What everyones vote on that. Mike

Mike,
I wouldn't try to reach a certain cadence. If your body doesn't want to do 90rpm your HR is going to be way to high. My advice for cadence is to always do what feels natural to each individual. I've coached guys that do anywhere from 70-100 on average and they all do very well. It's probably a better idea to either train on a HR zone or a speed with a trainer as discussed earlier. Most peeps keep 80-90 cadence. Anything in there is probably pretty good. There is no magic number, only and individual preference. Personally, I mash @ 70-75 rpm's and I think I do alright.

As for carbon on a trainer I'll ask others to answer as well. Believe it or not I have an all aluminum bike (GASP!). I would think that as long as you are clamped down on the skewer and not butted right up against the frame you would be ok. I would also be a little bit leery about standing up and really rocking from side to side. Just my guess though. I know a ton of people who use carbon on trainers with no problem. Just make sure it's secure and the clamp is not pressing directly on the frame. Just my opinion.

Jamie
2011-01-15 3:46 AM
in reply to: #3300810

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
vibratingp00 - 2011-01-14 10:18 PM

I also rock the "poor mans powertap" on the trainer and a Garmin 310xt.  I use the HR monitor, but mostly run based on pace.  I tried to do HR zones last year, but felt that I was going too slow, so I shelved it.  I probably could have given it a little more time.

As for this weekend, Im looking at at 10 mile run tomorrow, hopefully the paths out her in VA are ice free, and 1.5hr on the trainer on Sunday.  Im going to give the water intake test a try on the run, itll be interesting to see how much water I really need in the colder weather, especially since I do a lousy job hydrating on winter runs.

My experience as well with HR which is why I switched to power. Power is an independent measure of how hard you push on the pedal. HR is dependent on fatigue, hydration, temperature etc etc. I just found it too hard to control for.

Let me know what you find on the sweat test.

Jamie
2011-01-15 3:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
All,

Here is a great article on running. I've come to like this approach b/c it's worked for me. In general, more is more. Run more and you will get faster. Period. Sometimes as athletes, especially new to a sport, it's easy to fall prey to all of the marketing hype for everything. In general, doing more of something will make you better. It really is just that easy. Consistency over time will give the biggest gains in my opinion.

http://chuckiev.blogspot.com/2008/02/miles-make-champions.html

S

Enjoy,
Jamie
2011-01-15 6:22 AM
in reply to: #3300974

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
jamiej - 2011-01-15 4:50 AM All, Here is a great article on running. I've come to like this approach b/c it's worked for me. In general, more is more. Run more and you will get faster. Period. Sometimes as athletes, especially new to a sport, it's easy to fall prey to all of the marketing hype for everything. In general, doing more of something will make you better. It really is just that easy. Consistency over time will give the biggest gains in my opinion. http://chuckiev.blogspot.com/2008/02/miles-make-champions.htmlS Enjoy, Jamie

I agree - I think that as everyone has gotten soooo busy with life that we have looked for an easier way out.   I think the high run volume before my first marathon helped me break the 4 hour mark (3:44).  I never ran out of breath but cramped at the end (hydration issues??) or I think I would have been closer to the 3:30 mark. 

Guess I should have got out for a run this morning instead of checking my blackberry, logging onto BT and watching the news - those are not going to get me any faster.

FYI - I only use a Garmin 405 and train exclusivly on pace.  Need to get a cadence meter for the bike.

Edited by wallico 2011-01-15 6:25 AM
2011-01-15 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Wally, wouldn't worry about a cadence meter. Completely optional. Go on feel.

75' trainer ride is done for me. 45' @ 75% FTP and 30' @ 85%FTP. 5' w/u and c/d

Jamie

2011-01-15 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Have room for one more?  Let me know, would love to jump in.
2011-01-15 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3301061

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
ChicagoMan65 - 2011-01-15 8:10 AM

Have room for one more?  Let me know, would love to jump in.

yep. c'mon in.

Jamie
2011-01-15 8:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
I've a couple questions.

1.  Can everyone see my training logs?  I think I've got them setup correctly.
2.  I've been sick with a chest cold since Monday, so I haven't done anything all week. As of today I've just got a little bit of congestion in ears and tiny bit in chest. I'll probably be near normal by Monday.  When I was just lifting weights, I'd lift like that no problem. Training like this however, I'm not sure. I really don't want to take off more time, but shoud I?   If I didn't, I would repeat my last week's workouts.

3.  Do you use cadence meter to measure distance on a trainer? Recommendations?

Thanks!
Brien
2011-01-15 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3301111

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
syscrash - 2011-01-15 9:00 AM

I've a couple questions.

1.  Can everyone see my training logs?  I think I've got them setup correctly.
2.  I've been sick with a chest cold since Monday, so I haven't done anything all week. As of today I've just got a little bit of congestion in ears and tiny bit in chest. I'll probably be near normal by Monday.  When I was just lifting weights, I'd lift like that no problem. Training like this however, I'm not sure. I really don't want to take off more time, but shoud I?   If I didn't, I would repeat my last week's workouts.

3.  Do you use cadence meter to measure distance on a trainer? Recommendations?

Thanks!
Brien

Yep. I can see your logs. I don't keep mine on BT but will post them daily via this thread.

If your sick then just don't train. It's only January. Rest up and get better!

Cadence meters measure cadence only. Depending on what equipment you have I would just ride a certain amount of time (i.e. 1 hour) and spend x minutes in each HR zone or %FTP. As discussed earlier, if you have a rear wheel pickup so you can judge speed while on the trainer, you can use that as a 'poor mans powertap'. So, you could set up a schedule where you do 'x' minute intervals at 'y' mph etc.

Other ways are to use DVD's such as the spinerval series. If you want something totally random and have the setup for it you could watch a tv show/football game and pedal at one zone during the show/game and a higher zone during commercials for example.

Jamie
2011-01-15 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3300153

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
jamiej - 2011-01-14 3:39 PM
wallico - 2011-01-13 8:28 AM If you have room! 

NAME: Wallico/Wally/Kevin

STORY: I ran cross country in high school and was very active and in shape.  Fast forward almost 17years and the lifestyle in  those years was beer/work/beer/work.  One day it hit me....I was 209lbs and not in any shape.  Smoking/drinking and no sleep had finally got to me.  I started to run....it was 1 mile at a time and can still remember the struggles to go a mile or two.   

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Jen and have a 17 month old daughter - Skylar

CURRENT TRAINING: Not following a plan yet - I have 1 picked out to start in Feb.

2010 RACES: Flying Pig Marathon - 3:44 and 2 sprints
2011 Races: Now till July???? Need help here! - IMKY - Aug 28! 

WEIGHTLOSS: Not an area of focus for me. I was at 209 in 2009 - I am now floating in the 179 range but I think for the races I can/want to be about 170 - I am 6'1

Need Help with - Nutrition for the longer races - when to schedule my HIM to get the most out of it but also not screw with training or IMKY - learning other workouts or how to mix it up a bit.  With all this upcoming traing I do not want to get burn out.

Wally, You may want to think about Muncie 70.3 for a nice HIM prior to IMKY. I've done the race 5-6 times. It is very well done and very flat! It moved into the 70.3 series this year so the $$ have gone up. Have you ever tried to brutalize yourself at the Triple T in May? It's in your neck of the woods (Portsmouth). It's cheap but incredibly brutal. It will make IMKY look like a fun run. Sometimes the organizers (HFP racing) let you sign up for just the HIM on Sunday. Just a few ideas.... Jamie[/QUOTe

I'll go ahead and add a few things...

Wally - You may also want to consider Cardinal Harbor Half.  I've heard that part of the course is on the IMLOO course. 

As far as training, I've got a 60 minute trainer session today with a long swim, strength training a 2 hour outdoor bike tomorrow (weather permitting).  In training, I also use a HR for both biking and running.  I got the Garmin 310 last year after my 305 died.

I can't believe I have to say this, but I want the snow to melt.  We still have four inches on the ground, but it's supposed to get into the upper 40's.

2011-01-15 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
sweat test -

178.6 - 176.4 = 2.4 + .75 (waster) = 3.15 X 16 = 50.4 / 1.5 (run time) = 33.6 oz/hr

temperature was right around 32F, and I normally would have taken in more water, but the drinking fountains are now all turned off along my running route.
2011-01-15 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3301360

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Jeepguy2358 - 2011-01-15 11:52 AM

jamiej - 2011-01-14 3:39 PM
wallico - 2011-01-13 8:28 AM If you have room! 

NAME: Wallico/Wally/Kevin

STORY: I ran cross country in high school and was very active and in shape.  Fast forward almost 17years and the lifestyle in  those years was beer/work/beer/work.  One day it hit me....I was 209lbs and not in any shape.  Smoking/drinking and no sleep had finally got to me.  I started to run....it was 1 mile at a time and can still remember the struggles to go a mile or two.   

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Jen and have a 17 month old daughter - Skylar

CURRENT TRAINING: Not following a plan yet - I have 1 picked out to start in Feb.

2010 RACES: Flying Pig Marathon - 3:44 and 2 sprints
2011 Races: Now till July???? Need help here! - IMKY - Aug 28! 

WEIGHTLOSS: Not an area of focus for me. I was at 209 in 2009 - I am now floating in the 179 range but I think for the races I can/want to be about 170 - I am 6'1

Need Help with - Nutrition for the longer races - when to schedule my HIM to get the most out of it but also not screw with training or IMKY - learning other workouts or how to mix it up a bit.  With all this upcoming traing I do not want to get burn out.

Wally, You may want to think about Muncie 70.3 for a nice HIM prior to IMKY. I've done the race 5-6 times. It is very well done and very flat! It moved into the 70.3 series this year so the $$ have gone up. Have you ever tried to brutalize yourself at the Triple T in May? It's in your neck of the woods (Portsmouth). It's cheap but incredibly brutal. It will make IMKY look like a fun run. Sometimes the organizers (HFP racing) let you sign up for just the HIM on Sunday. Just a few ideas.... Jamie[/QUOTe

I'll go ahead and add a few things...

Wally - You may also want to consider Cardinal Harbor Half.  I've heard that part of the course is on the IMLOO course. 

As far as training, I've got a 60 minute trainer session today with a long swim, strength training a 2 hour outdoor bike tomorrow (weather permitting).  In training, I also use a HR for both biking and running.  I got the Garmin 310 last year after my 305 died.

I can't believe I have to say this, but I want the snow to melt.  We still have four inches on the ground, but it's supposed to get into the upper 40's.

Good suggestion! I forgot about Cardinal Harbor.
2011-01-15 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3301365

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
vibratingp00 - 2011-01-15 11:57 AM

sweat test -

178.6 - 176.4 = 2.4 + .75 (waster) = 3.15 X 16 = 50.4 / 1.5 (run time) = 33.6 oz/hr

temperature was right around 32F, and I normally would have taken in more water, but the drinking fountains are now all turned off along my running route.

That seems reasonable for that temperature. Write it down and keep it w/weather details. It will be good to reference it in the future for races.
Fountains and toilets are turned off on my route too. Can't wait for spring!

Jamie
2011-01-15 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3300470

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
clewis38 - 2011-01-14 5:52 PM

Can  anyone refer me to a good online article (or site) about HR training?  I know the basics, but I've never really wrapped my mind around it.  Now that I have a HR monitor for both bike and run, I'd like to look into it.

Mark Allen is usually a big proponent of HR training.

http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2

Jamie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40