BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-05-02 6:45 AM
in reply to: #3474397

New user

Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-OPEN

Andy,

Thanks for sharing such great info on the Rev3 Quazzy. I heard about the hilly course, and I'm tring to train using some hills, I'm a bit limited as I live on a mostly flat Island (Nantucket MA) But I'm finding a few hills to work on. It's a bit funny- I keep running up and down the same hill.

Thanks again,

Susan

2011-05-02 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3476788

Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group
Excellent - thank you!
2011-05-02 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3287331

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

I'm curious about your Computrainer workouts. (That thing is awesome.  It's on my wishlist to work up to my HIM and IM next year.  I'm waiting until they finally get the new software).

What kind of profiles do you ride?  Do you do any of the drills?  How much do you use the diagnostics (like spin scan)?  Do you use it to pre-ride any of the courses?

I've got some mroe bike questions, but I'll just leave it at this for now.

2011-05-02 12:07 PM

Issaquah, WA

Andy,

If there's still room I'd like to join your group.

2011-05-02 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3474441

User image

Chandler, AZ
Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-OPEN
Andy, thanks for the HR info.  That is great information for me and I really appreciate it.  I'll try the max effort 5k and see where that puts me. 
2011-05-02 9:17 PM

New user

Washington DC area

Hey Royersford!  I am looking to get some guidance on becoming a triAthlete this summer and would appreciate any help you can give.  I am moderately athletic and currently training. Born & raised in Pottstown  and went to ST Pius a long time ago. Have a few good friends  from Springford. Live in DC area now.

Hee is my situation. I am a 55 yo male who is overweight and somewhat out of shape. Was 5 10" and 214lbs. Started back into training Feb  and completed  5, 8 and 10 k races recently. Lost about 12 lbs and 2 inches so far 

• I strength train at a cross fit gym 3 -4 x a week. 
  • As I am heavy I run almost exclusively on a treadmill and only run outside on race day. So far I am pleasantly surprised this works ok.
  •  I do use a HR monitor. 
  •  I am an avid biker. Doing a 35 mi ride this weekend. 
  • I am following the paleo diet plan to drop more weight.

SO I have not swam in years and have no idea how to get started except jump in a pool and start swimming a few laps i guess. Any thoughts on how to build a successful swimming program?

Jim

2011-05-02 10:17 PM

I'd like to join. I'm a stay at home mom of two boys, and in trying to lose my baby weight, I found a new found love for fitness. I lifeguarded and taught swim lessons before I got married, so swimming is my strong suit. I'm still in my 20's (barely), so I haved the energy to give this my all!  I have a lot of questions about cycling, since I am pretty new to it. I have a stationary bike to use for training. (The sprint tri I plan on being my first is on July 31st) What sort of bike would be good to buy for a tri?
2011-05-02 11:04 PM

Hi Andy. I would like to join your group. I am a newbie looking for answers to questions I didn't even know I needed to ask. I have learned so much by being on the runnersworld forums this past year while training and so I am going to try that same tactic here if there is room.

I am a married mother of 4 little ones (10,9,6,2) who keep me really busy. I also work occasionally as an ER and ICU nurse. My biggest training struggle is fitting it all in with my family commitments. I have to work hard at keeping my priorities straight. I have always been active and worked out at the gym. After we moved to the cleveland area 9 years ago, i found myself without my favorite gym and no childcare opportunities so I started running before DH went to work every morning. Running is definitely my strong suit. I did my first marathon in 2005 after baby #3 and have since ran 5 more, most recently, Boston in April. I've done countless other half marathons, 10 milers, 15, 10 and 5ks. I've always been interested in "someday" trying a triathlon. A few months ago, a friend asked me to do the cleveland triathlon for a charity group and i quickly said yes. Lately, I have felt a little intimidated by the olympic distance that I signed up for but excited nonetheless. She assures me that if we get closer to the date and I need to change my distance that that can be done.  At present, all I have is a mountain bike that I have played around with riding with my kids, etc for years. On sunday, I did 13 miles. I would definitely say that swimming is my greatest weakness (although I surprised myself by completing a very slow and sloppy mile in the pool today). Today, through these forums I found the 0-1650 program and decided to give it a try. I think it went well. It only called for 700meters but my training program called for 1650 so I did the first 700 the way she suggested and then finished the rest anyway I could. I am hoping to be able to afford some lessons soon to see if they can help me become more efficient and comfortable in the water. Having just spent a small fortune in Boston at the marathon, I am hesitant to drop any more cash on swimming lessons and a bike. A girlfriend has offered to loan me her road bike. I am going to take it to my local bike shop and see what they think about the fit,etc.

I have no time goal in mind for this which is the most appealing factor of the race for me. I have been chasing marathon times for years now and after qualifying and running boston, i am happy to have an event where my goal can be "just to finish". I also feel that my body has adjusted to the mileage that i have accumulated and the weight loss has plateaued for a while now. I would like move the last 10-12 pounds that i have been hanging onto since baby #4. I think if I do that, I could improve my marathon time. Im hoping the different training may help me jump start that process.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better... Train Happy!

2011-05-02 11:11 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Jim, NW, Branwelsh24 welcome aboard.

I think we have a full group now.

Jim. I think the best way to get into swimming is to join a local Masters Swim Club. Most YMCAs have a Masters Swim program. The best thing is you get access to a coach who can help you hone your swim technique. It is easy to learn the right way with the help of a coach than develop bad habits and then have to unlearn them later. Most Masters programs have a wide range of ability levels so no matter where you are there will be people at your level which help keep you going. You should try and hook up with Tom who is another Philly to DC transplant

Branwelsh24. As far as bikes go, the most important thing is to get a well fitting bike. A good local bike shop will work with you to give you a good bike fit before trying to pair you you with a bike. Most bike shops will apply the cost of the bike fit to your bike purchase and most Local Bike Shops will include lifetime basic maintenance if you purchase the bike at the shop. When you are just starting out I would recommend a road bike. Aluminum frame is less expensive but still light and you can upgrade with clip on aerobars. I have had great experiences with Specialized (My 2004 Allez Elite Aluminum frame was a great starter bike for about $700 and took me through 6 seasons, 4 ironmans including Kona) and my Kestral (Talon Tri Carbon frame for about $1700, the thing is a rocket ship light and fast) .

NW. What are your goals for this year and do you have and races planned?

Tom. I love my Computrainer. The best X-mas present my wife ever got me. I have 3 of the interactive live action courses (Kona, IM Canada, and IM Lake Placid) which I'm using to prep for IM Canada this year. I use the loaded course as well. The Coulmbia Tri Olympic is a great 40 K TT course and Eagleman is a great prep course. You can also use it in manual mode and use the computer to watch a movie or play poker which hammering out a set. I used the diagonsic tools and the HRM and the cadence meter which really helped me become a more efficient cyclist (until I killed the HRM-rusted out spring.)

Andy

2011-05-02 11:25 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full
Lakenw Welcome to the group. With a strong running background you are in good shape to move into triathlons. As I mentioned above, swimming is all about technique and joining a Master's swim team/group is a great way to improve your swimming and gain alot of confidence in a hurry and get access to a coach to fine tune your mechanics. Don't underestimate the bike however. The bike leg is the longest leg in terms of time and distance and it sets up the run leg. In my case, I found the bike took a lot more effort and focus than I thought, but it is also the area I have improved upon the most.

Andy
2011-05-02 11:32 PM

thanks for your reply, andy. I wasn't sure I made it into the group, under the wire!

Thanks for the advice. I am not underestimating the bike at all. The 13 miles on sunday were not easy for me and I am stressed about finding a bike that fits so that i don't get injured. That may be one of my biggest fears- not getting injured doing these things that i know literally nothing about.

2011-05-03 1:12 AM
in reply to: #3478963

Issaquah, WA
Andy,

Last year I competed in my first triathlon, a sprint and did a 5k. For this season I've done a 12k and will be running my first half marathon on May 8th. I'm planning to do a sprint tri in June and September. I am considering doing the Tri Rock Seattle on July 17th. Would like to do the Seattle to Portland ride in 2012.

My training this season has been run oriented in preparation for the half marathon. I do most of my training by myself.  I am seeing a huge improvment in all three sports over where I was at this time last year.

I have enjoyed cycling, swimming, and physical activity since I was a child. As much as I enjoy working out, all forms of exercise ended after my son was born. I new things needed to change when I went for a walk and couldn't even go a mile. I started walking and joined a gym. Seven years ago I started playin rec soccer and have lost 25 pounds. I also hike and cross-country ski.

This is a milestone year for me as I will be celebrating both my 50th birthday and 25th wedding anniversary later this year. I have a 16 year old son and a 21 yearold daughter.

thanks, Lisa

2011-05-03 1:14 AM
in reply to: #3478963

Issaquah, WA
Andy,

Last year I competed in my first triathlon, a sprint and did a 5k. For this season I've done a 12k and will be running my first half marathon on May 8th. I'm planning to do a sprint tri in June and September. I am considering doing the Tri Rock Seattle on July 17th. Would like to do the Seattle to Portland ride in 2012.

My training this season has been run oriented in preparation for the half marathon. I do most of my training by myself.  I am seeing a huge improvment in all three sports over where I was at this time last year.

I have enjoyed cycling, swimming, and physical activity since I was a child. As much as I enjoy working out, all forms of exercise ended after my son was born. I new things needed to change when I went for a walk and couldn't even go a mile. I started walking and joined a gym. Seven years ago I started playin rec soccer and have lost 25 pounds. I also hike and cross-country ski.

This is a milestone year for me as I will be celebrating both my 50th birthday and 25th wedding anniversary later this year. I have a 16 year old son and a 21 yearold daughter.

thanks, Lisa

2011-05-03 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

What happens in Vegas, doesn't always stay in Vegas.  This morning I did 5 miles up and down the strip.  Didn't think I was that slow, but there were a lot of intersections, dodging people, and even "hill" workout going up over the overpasses.  Good run.

Andy - do you use any of the power information on the Computrainer?  Do you have a powertap?  How do your CT rides compare to the real thing?

Phaethon - thanks for the kind words.  I'm getting my mojo back, and really focused on making this a good rebuilding year, and moving up to longer distances next year.

2011-05-03 6:32 PM

Regular

So...triathletes don't wear sox??

That there is almost the deal breaker, I like my Thorlo's! I'm fairly certain I'm wearing them, I wasn't intending on placing anyways, but then something else dawned on me, what about the sand on your feet? Surely that is a tad abrasive but I haven't seen anyone rinsing off their feet as they head to the transition area after the swim, I've been checking out videos...so, am I missing something?

2011-05-03 7:48 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I always wear socks. The couple seconds you save by not putting them on can cost you plenty if you develop a blister. In a long race I may even change socks in T2 to keep my feet dry and blister free. I can run alot more quickly if I don't have to think about my feet hurting. If you are a top pro and a few seconds might be the difference in getting on the podium, then go sockless and do a flying mount and dismount too, otherwise a few extra seconds to allow you to be more comfortable is worth in in my opinion.

As far as sand, I put my transition area on a towel and wipe off my feet but most comes off on the jog from the beach to transition. You will also see alot of people bring a bucket or kitty litter box and fill it with water and bring it to transition and step in it to get rid of the sand. You definitely don't want sand on your feet with or without socks or you run a strong chance of developing a blister.

Andy

2011-05-03 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Tom

I use the power figures on the computrainer quite a bit. On the normal course the pacer feature maintains a constant power and you constantly see that number so it help find the right gear/cadence combo that is most efficient for you. I don't have a Power Tap and only use power data on the trainer.

Andy
2011-05-03 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3480722

User image

Extreme Veteran

southwestmba - 2011-05-03 7:51 PM Tom I use the power figures on the computrainer quite a bit. On the normal course the pacer feature maintains a constant power and you constantly see that number so it help find the right gear/cadence combo that is most efficient for you. I don't have a Power Tap and only use power data on the trainer. Andy

Then how do you incorporate that into your outside rides, such as for races?

2011-05-03 8:59 PM

I love this forum. i hadnt even thought about the sock and sand issue. Wow! I have a lot to learn!...and i am definitely wearing socks!!

2011-05-04 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3480823

New user

Lake NW- I'm with you- I guess, I don't even know, what I don't know. I'm beginning to realize I have a lot to learn also.

Andy- or Anyone-I'm in the market for a wetsuit, any tips on choosing? Full suit vs half vs arm less?

and any brand you may like over another?  as I'll need to buy on line without tring on (one of the disadvantages of living on an Island) I did find one store willing to send me a few suits to try on - anyone ever heard of "Neo sport" line?

Thanks all,

Susan

2011-05-04 11:41 AM

Regular
Subject: Wetsuits and water temperature
I'm looking at reviews for the triathlon I signed up for and noticed last year's water temperature was in the 70's; is there a temperature too hot for a wetsuit? Don't want to worry about bumps, scratches, AND heatstroke...Undecided

2011-05-04 8:53 PM

Subject: bike help

Okay team, I need some bike inspiration.  It's my weakest link, it's the longest part of a race, and yet I am having such a hard time motivating myself to get out the door on bike days!

I think the main issue is that it takes me 30-60 minutes to snake through Manhattan and get somewhere I can actually ride without stopping, so the junk miles are frustrating to me...I'd rather walk out the door and go run, or get on the train that takes me to the pool near my office, you know?  I'm also terrified of downhills...in races I pass people on climbs who then zoom past me on descents.  How can I get over this fear?  And also create some fun and interesting workouts that outweigh the city riding frustration and make the most of my time in the saddle?

2011-05-04 9:27 PM

ID, I kind of deal with the same thing in the burbs.  I live in a neighborhood and have a 3.3 mile loop I ride around.  Cant really go very fast, because there are so many turns.  I ride this loop four or five times a few times a week because its conveinient and safe.  On the weekends I like to get up early before the major roads get busy and ride on longer stretches.  When Im in my neighborhood I just try to go as hard as I can and dont worry about avg speed.  A good safe place to bike is a big issue in this triathlon stuff.
2011-05-05 12:10 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Wetsuits. You can wear a wetsuit in up to 78 degree water I believe under USAT rules. As long as the water isn't above 75 I never have had an issue with over heating so I wouldn't worry too much about 70 degree water. For me whether to wear a wetsuit or not comes down to how much time I will save in the water vs how much time will I lose fighting to take it off in T1. For me that usually means 1.5K or longer swim i wear the wetsuit and for sprints I'll jst go with my trisuit. With practice you can get pretty good at getting out off your wetsuit I always seem to get it stuck on my calves and heels.

I bought a Blue Seventy sleeveless wetsuit back in 2005 and have used it in 50 degree water to 75 degree water. Advantages of a sleeveless are your arms feel free to rotate and it is less expensive. I got mine for about $85. This year i upgraded to a TYR Hurricane Cat 5 full sleeve. A full sleeve it warmer and slicker in the water so you get the most advantage. The higher end wetsuits are thiner neoprene vice rubber but are quite easy to tear (one of my teammate found that out trying on hers for the first time).

It does take a few swims to get used to the constricted feeling of having a tight fitting wetsuit on but they add buoyance, which elevates your hips and puts you in a more efficent swimming position and gives you less drag and you slide thru the water, and they are a godsend on those cold mornings and when you have to jump in a cold lake.

Andy
2011-05-05 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3482750

New user

Subject: RE: bike help

ID,

I also deal with some "Junk Miles" if I want to ride my big loop.Mine being more like 10-20 mins. But I try to think of this time as getting better aquainted with my bike. It's like getting two workouts in one. One that I can ride fast and hard, and one getting use to maneuvering thru the crowds. Maybe you will be so comfortable with your bike, you will be able to get out of T1 and into T2 with the ease of a pro.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  

of 14