BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-04-21 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - OPEN
Chris,

That is super cool you have keys to the track. I have never run on a track, do you only do speed work there?

You are right, I squeeze in my runs whenever I can. Which, is usually in the middle of the day during the work week. I am fortunate that way, I keep my own hours so as long as I can get a 3 hour stretch without appointments I can go for a long run. Can make the rest of the day pretty hectic though.

How does everyone else squeeze their workouts in?

2011-04-21 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3458088

User image

Regular

Welcome to the group Mark.  If you can finish a marathon on such little training, just think of what you can do when you're well trained for it.  I'm thinking it will be more fun in the end too. 

I sort of belong to a tri club.  It's more of a running club that's added the tri part on.  I sometimes run on Saturdays with them and I signed up for a swimming program with them.  The swim program is coached by a phenomenal tri coach and I've benefited a huge amount from it.  If I could afford to, I'd join team trilife, which is local in my town, but it's just not in the budget right now.  The time of the swim program isn't ideal (9-10pm), but I've gotten so much out of it, it's worth a little missed sleep.

As for fitting my training in, I'm a stay at home mom so it's a lot of mornings and evenings, occasionally daytimes when I have someone to watch my kids. I used to do early morning runs on weekdays before my husband left for work.  I haven't since the fall, but I'm planning on starting those up again next week.  It's just so much easier to get double workouts in if I'm not trying to do both in the evening. Now that it's getting warmer, it's not so bad going early morning.  For some reason, I can handle either the dark or the cold, but I don't like both of them together.

My least favourite option is to do it with the kids along.  I have a chariot, but my kids weigh about 75 pounds between them, so it's a lot more work to run pushing them!  And Dora isn't the most inspiring show to watch while biking on the trainer...  Having said that, I'm committed to following my plan, so I may resort to those options sometimes.  Biking with the kids in the chariot actually isn't so bad; I just go in a much lower gear.  But, I ride my hybrid bike when I pull the kids, and I really want to get used to my road bike, so I don't want to have them along too much.

My inlaws get here tonight and are staying till Tuesday.  I tend to get a bit stressed about them coming, but it's mostly good.  The kids love them.  I get some extra time with my husband, and it's easier to get training time in.

2011-04-21 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

Hi Mark, Welcome!

I normally like to get my workouts done right after I get home from work.  I find it's a nice way to unwind from work especially if it's been a stressful day.  At least once a week I get up early for a swim since since that's easier to do in the morning due to the pool schedule at the gym (YMCA).  On the weekend I generally have breakfast and relax a couple hours and then do my longer workouts since I have more time.

I have tomorrow off so I think I'll be moving some things around and take Sunday as an off day.

Edited by nick_318is 2011-04-21 12:32 PM
2011-04-21 4:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
There is a decent Tri Club in town where I am but I havent joined. I am a student right now so my days are sporadic and I work 3 nights a week. I typically get in my training in at odd times but it seems to work out fine. I do regularly run with a run club on Sunday morning for my long runs.
2011-04-21 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Mark,  think once you get into the training "groove" it becomes  addiction habit forming and part of your life. Joining a group typically helps because you feel obligated to go and its in the schedule. I know I have gone of runs I never would have gone on simply because I felt I had to be there for the group run. I think you should get on a plan as soon as possible just so there is some structure and something to be accountable too.

2011-04-21 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3458700

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
_Deb_ - 2011-04-21 10:41 AM  I have a chariot, but my kids weigh about 75 pounds between them, so it's a lot more work to run pushing them!  And Dora isn't the most inspiring show to watch while biking on the trainer...  Having said that, I'm committed to following my plan, so I may resort to those options sometimes.  Biking with the kids in the chariot actually isn't so bad; I just go in a much lower gear.  But, I ride my hybrid bike when I pull the kids, and I really want to get used to my road bike, so I don't want to have them along too much.

I used to haul my kids in the bike trailer. It can be a really good way to build up strength on the bike.

2011-04-21 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Sounds like we all have a lot in common.  I use to pull the kids in a trailer on rides, I have watched mindless children's TV while riding on the trainer, I have swam at 5 AM, noon and 7 PM depending on my schedule, and I totally agree on the cold or dark but not both philosophy.  

Today was a mile swim followed by some drill work.  Planned on biking also but had a longer day at work than planned and had church tonight as well.  Good thing tomorrow is Good Friday, no school so I should be able to catch up on some missed workouts.

2011-04-21 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
So how do you guys want to play this mentor group?

Frankly I am all for a free for all but I like to keep the conversation flowing so throwing the odd general question out ever now and then helps to keep things going.

However, if anyone has any questions they want to throw out feel free.

So what is the plan for the weekend everyone? I got an easy 16k for friday and a fast 15k plus some easy jogging on Saturday and Sunday off, for the first off day in a while. I am so looking forward to that.
2011-04-21 10:13 PM

User image

Regular

I took Bella, my road bike, out for her first ride tonight!  (I've ridden her on the trainer, but this was the first outdoor ride.)  Let me just say, yipee!  Man, that felt good.  I didn't even fall down, despite it being my first non-trainer ride in clipless pedals.  I had one close call, but got my foot out just in time.

I've been feeling kind of unenthusiastic about the bike, but now that I've gotten out, I just want to do it more.  I was pretty unprepared though.  I was getting ready to go when I realized I still had the trainer tire on, so I got to practice my tire changing skills.  Then I realized I needed a bike bag to carry my flat change stuff, which I had to steal off my hybrid bike.  Then I didn't remember my sunglasses.  It was okay, but my eyes started watering at a couple points.  Next time, that is definitely something I'd go back for.

I am certainly a little bit afraid of my road bike, but I'm looking forward to getting better.  I'm sure I would be considered a squirrely rider right now.  That bike is way more responsive then my hybrid bike.  I am the dork that is braking while going downhill in order to keep my speed down a bit...

I just rode in town, but I actually think I'd prefer to ride on the highway.  Sure, the cars go slower in town, but I don't love dealing with intersections.  The good part is, I can get onto the highway in less then 5 minutes, and get a mountain view too.

Yay for spring!

2011-04-21 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3459626

User image

Regular
DaveL - 2011-04-21 3:48 PM
_Deb_ - 2011-04-21 10:41 AM  I have a chariot, but my kids weigh about 75 pounds between them, so it's a lot more work to run pushing them!  And Dora isn't the most inspiring show to watch while biking on the trainer...  Having said that, I'm committed to following my plan, so I may resort to those options sometimes.  Biking with the kids in the chariot actually isn't so bad; I just go in a much lower gear.  But, I ride my hybrid bike when I pull the kids, and I really want to get used to my road bike, so I don't want to have them along too much.

I used to haul my kids in the bike trailer. It can be a really good way to build up strength on the bike.

Hmmm, maybe I can consider it a substitute for hill training...

2011-04-21 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3459965

User image

Regular

Darren, I like the idea of throwing questions out now and then.  Not only is it a good way to keep the conversation going, but it's also a nice way to get to know each other a little bit more.

Perhaps it would also be good to pick a day where we review how we did the previous week and set mini-goals for the next week?

As for my weekend, my inlaws are visiting.  I think I'm doing a bike ride tomorrow with a friend.  A trip to the pool with the family tomorrow afternoon, during which I'm going to sneak into the lap pool and do a few laps and drills.  A run.  I intend to use the inlaws presence to drag my husband out for a date.  Then I'm officially starting my Oly training plan on Sunday.

2011-04-22 4:00 AM

I went to the club last night, the run was good, it was nice not to be just plodding on my own!!The swimming was coached, I bought some goggles just before, and it's first time trying to swim properly!! I was knackered!! But the coach was cool, he was saying I was fighting the water, so I was trying to relax, it was getting better, just getting the breathing is hard!!Enjoyable though!! Not much planned for the weekend training wise, it's long weekend holiday here, so family stuff, but I will fit a couple of runs and fix my bike up ready!!Have a good day
2011-04-22 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3460137

User image

Champion
Calgary
mjsark - 2011-04-22 3:00 AM

I went to the club last night, the run was good, it was nice not to be just plodding on my own!!The swimming was coached, I bought some goggles just before, and it's first time trying to swim properly!! I was knackered!! But the coach was cool, he was saying I was fighting the water, so I was trying to relax, it was getting better, just getting the breathing is hard!!Enjoyable though!! Not much planned for the weekend training wise, it's long weekend holiday here, so family stuff, but I will fit a couple of runs and fix my bike up ready!!Have a good day

I am so jealous. I am soooooooooo tired of running by myself.
2011-04-22 3:00 PM

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

BigDH - I would like to join your mentor group. I read your story and can definitely relate!

NAME:  Ryan

STORY:  I'm 32 years old and am beginning to train for my first triathlons.  I am a former high school swimmer.  I began to get back in shape about 5 years ago while recovering from a knee injury.  I started with masters swimming, then moved on to open water swims, then to 5k runs, then to my first marathon run last year.  I love the challenge of competing and cannot wait to do a tri!

FAMILY STATUS:  Married with a 3 year old son and 2 year old daughter

CURRENT TRAINING:  Have been working a little biking and swimming in between runs for the last year as part of my cross training for the marathon.  Am currently training for a half marathon on May 7th and then will transition into more of a balanced tri training program.  I don't have any where near the bike base that I will need.  I need some help there for sure. 

2011 RACES:  MAY 7 - HALF MARATHON, JUNE 26 - SPRINT TRI, JULY 10 - OLYMPIC TRI, AUGUST 28 - OLYMPIC TRI, NOVEMBER 6 - NYC MARATHON (HOPEFULLY!)

WEIGHTLOSS:  I got up to 225 after my daughter was born.  My wife called it sympathy weight.  I was very supportive in that regard!  I ate my own pint of Ben and Jerry's every night while she was pregnant.  Saw a picture of myself in a swimsuit and then started to get motivated.  Started running.  Got down to 185 last year while training for my marathon and have been right around that weight ever since. 

I am excited to do my first tri and would like to have someone to lean on a little bit for some advice. 

I actually used to coach triathletes in swimming when I was in college.  I never thought at that time I would be able to be a strong enough runner to do a tri myself!  Anyone looking for swimming advice, feel free to ask. 

Thank you!

Ryan

2011-04-22 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

that looks like a great summer schdule Ryan.

This weekend I am away at my parents place. Went for a decent ride today and it was very windy, which has been a bit of a regular occurance lately. The wind shouldnt really should have been a surprise as I was biking through a wind farm most of the way. Shouted out loud as I crested a hill and saw a decent downhill in front of me. Threw it into top gear, got down in aero and peddled until I ran out of gear. 71km/h was my max speed. Felt good lots of fun. plan to swim tomorrow morning, then a run afterwards. Sunday calls for another short run which wraps up my first week of my half ironman training.

2011-04-22 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3461320

User image

Champion
Calgary
Welcome Ryan.

Looks like you have a great race schedule set up, busy!

That is wild you used to coach triathletes swimming and now you are into it. Being a good swimmer is a definite advantage, the fresher you feel out of the water the better.

2011-04-22 7:00 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
so how is everybody kitted out. (dang it, stupide question mark key doesnt work)

Every one have a bike. What kind.

Everyone have a wet suit.

I have 2 bikes, a junky commuter that I dont even know the name of and a cervelo p2sl that I bought to train for my IM and rode as often as I could for about 10 months. It has been in my basement for almost 2.5 years except for a couple 100k I did for a 70.3.

2011-04-22 8:14 PM

Mooresville

Hey everyone. I'd love to join your group if you aren't full and want a real newbie.

NAME: Jason

STORY: Just moved to South Georgia, not much here except clay then it gets hot and turns to dust. I'm 39 and have always been big guy, but in decent shape. I weigh 253 and have forever. I work with my hands every day, remodeling homes. I've always wanted to do a tri and now is the time. I know nothing about training except to work hard and be consistent. I don't mind any of the training and really look forward to learning.

I normally work out at the local YMCA, they have good treadmills and pools, but nothing is like biking on the open road. I only have a mountain bike, which I love to ride, and I'm really excited about getting a tri bike.

I think my biggest issue is time, (which is probably everyone's issue), I'm self employed, single father and remodeling my own house. But, I'm fairly organized and am very dedicated.

FAMILY STATUS: Single with a 16yo daughter living at home and a 7yo son, who lives 3 hrs away. He spends every other weekend with me. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm following a basic plan from BT now, but really just trying to put in the time or checking off boxes as ya'll put it.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I would really like to do a sprint in August, but haven't signed up yet. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I'd like to get lighter. I feel pretty good, but not sure I'll ever be in the low 200's much less under 200.

2011-04-22 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3458210

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

How does everyone else squeeze their workouts in?
-----
Darren

I do the same as you and try to squeeze my workouts in during my work day.  I have a YMCA across the street from work and do my track workouts, swims, weights and occasional bike on a spin bike during lunch.  On the weekends, I try to wake up as early as possible to get my long runs out of the way.  

Ryan

2011-04-22 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3461651

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

This weekend I plan to get a long bike in on Saturday.  This will actually be my first time out on the road with my new bike (a Trek Madone 4.5).  It has been sitting in my trainer all winter.  On Sunday it's a 12 mile run at Half Marathon Pace + 20 which would be at about a 9:30 pace.  

As far as a wetsuit - I haven't bought one yet.  I'm not sure if I'm going to get one or not.  I've done plenty of open water swimming events and have never worn one (they are actually illegal in most open water swims).  I know that it gives a huge advantage with the added buoyancy and warmth.  Can anyone share their experiences with or without a wetsuit in a tri?  

- Ryan

2011-04-22 9:13 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

Just wanted to say hello to Darren!

You guys have lucked out. 

He is most awesome!

2011-04-23 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3461240

User image

Regular

I am up early (6am) letting my breakfast digest before going for a run.  I've actually managed to make a running friend who likes to do the early morning runs too, so she's coming by my place at 6:30 and then we're heading out.  Everyone else thinks I'm crazy.  Weekdays, it's pure practicality to get it in before my husband leaves for work.  (I'm going back to 5am runs for weekdays.)  Weekends, it's so that I don't cut into family time too much.

I have to say, when I entered my run into my log yesterday, I discovered how totally lazy I was to not use the logs before.  I can just upload my garmin data!  It makes it so simple.

Welcome to the group Ryan!  I'm jealous of your swimming background.  I never took lessons as a kid, so I just learned to swim last year.  Swimming might be the smallest part of a triathlon, timewise, but it makes such a big difference starting off strong.

Nice speed on the hill Dave.

I have a 2010 Marin Stelvio that Santa bought me. 

Deb's Bike

I do have clipless pedals on her now, but this is the best picture I currently have.

I don't have a wetsuit yet, but I'm debating buying one from Xterra.  I was going to rent this year, but the whole pee thing has me wanting to buy instead.  I know that people pee in wetsuits.  I may even end up doing so, particularly for the super cold race I'm doing.  I just don't like the idea of swimming in someone else's peed in wetsuit. 

Plus, then I could add on a July race that I've been debating.  And, I have a friend that I might be able to open water swim with.  That way I can actually practice with the wetsuit rather then just wearing it on race day.

Welcome to the group Jason.  I think a lot of us have dealt with weight loss in relation to racing.  I'm now 25 pounds lighter then when I did my first 5k race in September, and I can feel a huge difference in my body when it comes to running.

Ryan, I think the wetsuit decision will come down to wear you live and race.  I live in an area where every race is wetsuit legal, and a couple are even wetsuit required.  I plan to do mainly local races to keep costs down for my family.  In my case, the choice is to either buy or rent.  It's not really a feasible option to go without.

I haven't done a tri yet at all, so I can't give comparables, but I know whenever this subject comes up on the general boards, the advice is to use a wetsuit anytime it's legal.  If it isn't legal in most of the races you do though, it may not be worth the purchase.

Aquagirl, thanks for the vote of confidence in our fearless leader.  We'll take good care of him. 

2011-04-23 12:54 PM

Hello Everybody!! Can I join your group? Here is a little about myself-

My Name is Ana. I moved back to NY this January after finishing college. My goals for this year is to  run the Boliermaker 15K Race in July and to run a half marathon this summer- haven't decided when yet. I have always been on the heavier side and every year since I could remember I've been telling myself that this is my year to reach my fitness goals. Last year I was in a very intense car accident( got hit by a sitting bus)- that left me feeling very weak inside and out- The last year has been a struggle to get back on my feet. I just completed a month and a half of the p90x fitness program and feel like I'm finally feeling like a fighter again. I enjoy running, swimming and biking so I thought - why not this year train for all of the things I have been putting off? I'm turning 25 this year and believe that this is a great year for a new start.

I have been running about 3 times a week pretty steadily and am itching to take up swimming again! I'm not sure what program to follow yet- I'm open to any advice or suggestions- 

Ana

2011-04-23 12:54 PM

Hello Everybody!! Can I join your group? Here is a little about myself-

My Name is Ana. I moved back to NY this January after finishing college. My goals for this year is to  run the Boliermaker 15K Race in July and to run a half marathon this summer- haven't decided when yet. I have always been on the heavier side and every year since I could remember I've been telling myself that this is my year to reach my fitness goals. Last year I was in a very intense car accident( got hit by a sitting bus)- that left me feeling very weak inside and out- The last year has been a struggle to get back on my feet. I just completed a month and a half of the p90x fitness program and feel like I'm finally feeling like a fighter again. I enjoy running, swimming and biking so I thought - why not this year train for all of the things I have been putting off? I'm turning 25 this year and believe that this is a great year for a new start.

I have been running about 3 times a week pretty steadily and am itching to take up swimming again! I'm not sure what program to follow yet- I'm open to any advice or suggestions- 

Ana

2011-04-23 3:10 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
So my daughter slept past 8 forge theft first time in like forever so had a relaxing morning. The. Cleaned thye uouse because turnaround out that we are having 15 people over for brunch tomorrow. Who knew..

Anyways, welstime to Jason and Ana.

I am a bit flustered today due to surprise brunch prep but I am off for a little killer tempo run.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21