BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-05-02 7:01 PM
in reply to: #3476874

Regular
Indiana
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - OPEN

You are correct Seren. I am curious how your coach suggests that you change your stride to overcome this. I struggle with the same thing and never knew this could be corrected.

I will have to do more research also. Things that make you go HHmmm.

2011-05-02 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3478458

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED

gator22 -Training : I have just started riding and running outdoors again. I SCUBA dive as part of my job, so I have done a little swimming, but I need to do that too. I will not sign up for any race until I get my base back which will likely take most of the summer.

Kirk

Very cool.  What's your job that you get to scuba as part of it?

2011-05-02 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3478549

User image

Expert
I am a detective with a Police agency in upstate NY. We have a pretty major river and border on Lake Ontario so we have a SCUBA squad to recover evidence and unfortunately bodies.  It is an on call thing that we do in addition to our police jobs.
2011-05-02 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Josh sneaking in under the wire....  Group is

1. Chris
2. Bret
3. Serenity
4. Brent
5.  Kim
6. Helena
7.  Mike
8.  Lisa
9. Patrick
10.  Jennifer
11.  Nora
12.  Hunter
13.  Stephanie
14.  Pauline
15.  Kirk
16. Josh

2011-05-02 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3478557

User image

gator22 - 2011-05-02 5:13 PM I am a detective with a Police agency in upstate NY. We have a pretty major river and border on Lake Ontario so we have a SCUBA squad to recover evidence and unfortunately bodies.  It is an on call thing that we do in addition to our police jobs.

I am a diver out here, and know a few folks that specialize in trimix etc. and get called in by the sheriff's to do deep water lake recoveries.   I thought about trying to volunteer once but the requirements (and availability) are pretty brutal.  That's some difficult diving not to mention the bodies...

2011-05-02 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3477517

User image

bzgl40 - 2011-05-02 8:32 AM
helenamargarido - 2011-05-02 8:23 AM

Chris, I still haven't decided which will be my 1st fast. Actually, I'm a little afraid of trying it before losing some weight... I believe I'll try it only by november, so I'll be more confident... But who knows, maybe you guys make me change my mind! Laughing

You'll see people of all shapes and sizes and all different level of fitnesses.  I vote you pick a race near by that looks interesting to you and sign up for it.  Then get swimming.    Overcoming that fear is tough but nothing like signing up for a race to force the issue.  Then pick a training plan (the BT ones will get you to the finish line feeling good) and start at it.

Can I just x1,000,000 Kim's post?  Trust me, I understand about the weight thing, I think a lot of us do.  But you will see all types of folks at all types of tris, from sprints all the way to IMs.  Personally, I think signing up is motivation - I've signed up for probably every race saying "I'll be X pounds lighter" by then..  And I usually never am  But I do it anyway

2011-05-02 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3475596

User image

Running is definitely my weakest - went for a 30 minute run yesterday AM with really no issues...YAY!  I have been having trouble with the archilles tendons and tight calves.  A couple of weeks ago my coach changed my running form.   I was running with my hips behind me.  He has me envisioning an invisible rope tied to my hips, pulling me along.  It keeps my hips under me and helps open up the chest. 

Then I went for a 3 hour hike and now I am a hurting puppy.  Today is supposed to be a long bike ride but I am in serious need of a rest day.  I will push the ride off until tomorrow. 

I think hiking uses different muscles than running, so i am always sore afterward.  I know people that have walked IMs and were more sore than after running them.

As for the form, it's good you have a coach.  We always hear about no heel striking, etc., but I've been told by a local coach what yours said, that it's really more important to get your feet under you.  I try working on it every run.  Not always successful

2011-05-02 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Thanks Chris.  I will fill out all my info tomorrow.  Watching the Bruins.  Go B's.
2011-05-02 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3478773

User image

Expert
I am actually on the shelf right now for SCUBA (Another reason to train more). I ruptured both my ear drums on a dive in November.  They have not really healed and I have some pretty significant hearing loss. It has not really affected my equilibrium, so I still can swim and ride and run. (and lift weights)  If I cannot dive anymore, I had a good run of about ten years. I did some Ice dives and some really important gun recoveries in the river for murder cases.  I won't miss the bodies, the aggressive salmon and snapping turtles, or snakes
2011-05-02 9:39 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
Hey Josh! I wondered where you had gotten off to. Good to see you back on BT!
2011-05-02 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3478773

User image

Boston Beginner - 2011-05-02 6:58 PM Thanks Chris.  I will fill out all my info tomorrow.  Watching the Bruins.  Go B's.

Nice.  We have everyone from people training for their first sprint to IM finishers.  This will be a good group.

And I am watching the Lakers 

2011-05-02 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3478840

User image

Payson, AZ
ChrisM - 2011-05-02 7:45 PM

Now that's something I can get behind. 

2011-05-03 6:05 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
NAME: Stephanie

STORY: Just turned 47 in April. So although I have an athletic past (way back) I can't just hop on the bike (in the pool, otr) and skedaddle a zillion miles like I used to. I decided to start running last June and was doing well with the run/walk.. got myself up to almost 9 miles and then in February ended up at the podiatrist. The boot etc etc ibuprofen ice ice ice. I am back at it but had to cancel my Nautica South Beach. It was to be my first triathlon. Also had to cancel the 13.1 Miami Beach. That hurt.

BUT, I'm back at it again and ran 3 1/2 at the beach on May 1st... sunday. I'm regrouping, not allowed to run on concrete etc. I'm really slow (PR 40:56 for a 5k in January). I am learning to run "lighter" so I don't hurt my foot again. ChiRunning is a new thing I'm trying. I like it. Started again 2 weeks ago with 2 miles now I'm at 3ish. It's all very frustrating (pre-workout routine, run, post run) but I'm also terribly lazy so it's played right into my beer drinking.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, husband spends week days near Atlanta so I have my weeks to myself.

CURRENT TRAINING: Running every other day. Had a coach and tri-team but gave them up March/April. 5:45am is ridiculously early for me.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have a 5k this Saturday and hope to break 40 minutes. Still need to commit to a tri.

"A" RACE: The ING Marathon January 29th 2012. Hey, I have 40+ weeks, why not? And finding my first Tri. There is something down here called the Trilogy. There are 3 + a bonus race.

GENERAL GOAL FOR THE YEAR: Workout after work...to develop some stamina so I can complete more races without walking. Consistency.

WEIGHTLOSS ISSUES IF ANY: I need to lose 30lbs. I'm 5'6" or so and I weight 172lbs. I've put 8 back on since the injury.

WHAT AM I LOOKING TO GET OUT OF A MENTOR GROUP, AND WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE GROUP : I need motivation. I was on such a high a few months ago. Felt like a RUNNER! Now, I feel like a slob. I will bring posting... and inspires. I am a HUGE sports fan, and I consider everyone who does this thing an athlete. I really want everyone to do well and enjoy it.
2011-05-03 6:07 AM

User image

Melon Presser
No, I'm not crashing, nor even lurking, and definitely not stalking Chris ... noooo, not me ... just wanted to point out that Chris is one of the finest and wisest humans on Earth, and certainly on BT. Those of you have been here awhile know this, but I also wanted to encourage the newer ones to use and abuse him as much as possible, since he is a phenomenal resource, and he's clearly also attracted some of the best mentor group members around. All the best to you all!
2011-05-03 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3479084

User image

Expert
I haven't been on this site for about a year, but it is great to see that BT celebrities like TRiaya are still there pushing everyone   I forgot, I am 36 years old, but have the body of 56!!!!
2011-05-03 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3479084

User image

Expert

sorry. double post.

Edited by gator22 2011-05-03 8:20 AM

2011-05-03 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3478543

User image

Expert
Boston
mikar_68 - 2011-05-02 8:01 PM

You are correct Seren. I am curious how your coach suggests that you change your stride to overcome this. I struggle with the same thing and never knew this could be corrected.

I will have to do more research also. Things that make you go HHmmm.

Its much like chi running....there's lots of info on it.  However there are so many changes to make that you really have to pick one and just perfect it.  Thats what we are doing right now by having me focus on keeping the hips under me and striking mid-foot.  I am a mid foot striker naturally on the right but for some reason not on the left.  Hmmmmmmm!

2011-05-03 9:40 AM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Alright, I added the group to my friends list, not sure what that gets you, as I don't blog. Still learning all the features of this site.I got a good swim workout in last night, my pace is getting better. When I breathe I never feel like I am getting enough air. I have moved up from doing 50 yards at a time to half 100's/half 50's.I also road my bike to work this morning and will add ten extra miles to the ride home. Riding to work is a great way to start the day!
2011-05-03 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

NAME: Boston Beginner / Josh

STORY: I am 37 years old and starting my 4th year of participating in triathlons.  I started after I hurt my back a little over 3 years ago. My physical therapist was doing a triathlon and figured since I was going 3x  week to the gym for therapy, I can finding the time to train when it was over.  It was something I also wanted to do.  The rest is history.   

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a very supportive wife, 2 kids,  6 and 4 now.

CURRENT TRAINING: I haven't done anything since IMAZ.  I was actually feeling good after the race, not burned out, and wanted to get back into it, but things didn't work out.  I got sick, which was expected, but most of all, I felt guilty spending so much time training during the past year, that I had to do stuff with the family before training.  A month turned into 2, and now we are 5 months removed and need to find the motivation and time to get back into it.  Another slight road block the past month is that I woke up one day with vertigo.  Dr said it would go away in about a month, but still get a tad dizzy once in a while. 

2010 RACES:  I ended up only doing 2 races, a local Olympic and Ironman Arizona.        

2011 RACES:  Going to take it easy this year and do 1 sprint in June, an Oly in Aug, and HIM in Sept.  Oh, and I think I am biking from Syracuse NY to Cape Cod, Ma - about 370 miles.  So maybe it's not going to be that slow.

WEIGHTLOSS: Since the start of training a couple of years ago, I was down about 30lbs, but I have gained some back since IMAZ.  I ideally would like to lose another 15-20 lbs.   

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have been on both sides of the aisle now.  I have been a mentor for the past 3 sessions, and was in a couple of mentor groups as a mentee before that.  It takes a lot of time and effort on both the mentor and the group members to make the group successful.  I will be able to handle some of the "simple" questions, and occasionally have a good tip.  I believe Mr. Smooth was my suggestion, wasn't it Serenity.  Anyway, I am glad to be getting back into it.

Oh, and I have been around here long enough to know that TriAya is exactly right.

2011-05-03 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3479536

User image

Expert
Boston
Boston Beginner - 2011-05-03 10:46 AM

NAME: Boston Beginner / Josh

I believe Mr. Smooth was my suggestion, wasn't it Serenity.  Anyway, I am glad to be getting back into it.

OK Papa Smurf!  Mr. Smooth WAS your idea.  How was I supposed to know you were gonna join my group?!  This group is gonna be fun  :`)

i was in Josh's mentor group last year for 2 sessions.   He was a great mentor... Course I think he thought I was a little crazy when we first met.    Then we actually met for a few training sessions and I am sure it was confirmed! 

Edited by Seren 2011-05-03 10:39 AM
2011-05-03 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3479528

User image

hoots - 2011-05-03 7:40 AM Alright, I added the group to my friends list, not sure what that gets you, as I don't blog. Still learning all the features of this site.I got a good swim workout in last night, my pace is getting better. When I breathe I never feel like I am getting enough air. I have moved up from doing 50 yards at a time to half 100's/half 50's.I also road my bike to work this morning and will add ten extra miles to the ride home. Riding to work is a great way to start the day!

Are you blowing out enough when your head is submerged so that you get a full breath in when your face is out of the water?  That feeling of "needing air" is in reality a need to expel C02, not get air in.  A good exhale goes a long way to avoiding breathlessness.  And a lot of us, me especially, don't really fully empty our lungs in our everyday life, and we breathe too shallowly.

2011-05-03 1:15 PM

User image

Uh oh.... with Fred's and Yanti's posts, and a prior mentor in here, the pressure's on..... 
2011-05-03 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3478851

User image

bzgl40 - 2011-05-02 7:49 PM
ChrisM - 2011-05-02 7:45 PM

Now that's something I can get behind. 

Kim, how did the USAT Nat'ls duathlon go?  (I still think duathletes are crazy, take the two most difficult parts of tri, and leave out the fun part   )

2011-05-03 1:38 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
The national DU's went well.  Very well organized race.  Great swag, which we all know is very important.   The roomiest racks I have ever had for the bike as well.  I would have liked to have held a little more speed in the second run.  Need a bit more high intensity run training I think.  My age group and the next one started together and our group was voted best abs.  Sadly I did not contribute to that.  lol  But the race sure did bring out some top quality competitors.
2011-05-03 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3480050

Regular
Indiana

Chris

This is very interesting. I can run and bike without gasping for air within the first 50 yds., but when I swim my lungs say stop while the rest of my body says keep going. I always told myself it is because I am not in the shape I thought I was.

How would you teach a person to make sure to exhale all the way under the water? I use to think I was holding my breathe. You could be correct. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20