General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-12-01 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3922113

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread

x2 I like the no nonsense approach of Fink.  I used it for HIM last year and plan to use Be Iron Fit for my first IM this year.  Somewhere I got the idea that the practice half iron race was around 8 weeks before the ironman.  Does that sound about right?  Starting from November, I'm working backwards on my race schedule for 2012. 

When is the ideal Half Iron for an Ironman in Nov?
Would you choose August or September and why?

2011-12-01 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3922644

User image

Expert
San Jose
Fit4Infinity - 2011-12-01 3:24 PM

x2 I like the no nonsense approach of Fink.  I used it for HIM last year and plan to use Be Iron Fit for my first IM this year.  Somewhere I got the idea that the practice half iron race was around 8 weeks before the ironman.  Does that sound about right?  Starting from November, I'm working backwards on my race schedule for 2012. 

When is the ideal Half Iron for an Ironman in Nov?
Would you choose August or September and why?

You're right, Fink's program has a 1/2 IM 8 weeks before Ironman so it should be the weekend of 9 22/23, right? I'm doing a 1/2 in July because it's one I want to do. I want to stick the the program as much as possible but I also want to do some races for fun so I'll just make those changes.

2011-12-01 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3911896

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

I'm looking at late August for a HIM this summer.  Which will be plenty of time to correct issues and keep training hard for AZ.

Also, Mission Palms is all booked up, FYI.

2011-12-01 7:57 PM

Regular
Crofton, MD
To be honest, To BE Iron Fit is a great read and the competive training plan will get you to the finish. I used it for IMCdA, and beat my expectations. Awesome plan! However, I chose to go with a coach this year at IMLP. The reason was due to nagging injuries and overtraining. I went into IMLP well rested and felt awesome on race day! Almost all plans will get you to the finish, but getting to the start line is another story. As many of you know, these races sell out fast. But why is it that there is never the same amount that signed up at the start, actually start??? Its due to overtraining and not allowing your body the proper rest. Fink is really good, follow it, work hard, if you are tired, sick, emotionally drained, then back off. The hardest thing about Ironman training is getting to the start. Once you get there, then you have the opportunity to become one part of an awesome fraternity. I can't wait for IMAZ in 2012!
2011-12-02 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

Unless you are a natural penguin, I am not sure why you would even want to consider the IM AZ swim without a wetsuit.  I wore my full this year (tempted to try my sleeveless in the practice swim but decided against it), and I was very glad I did.  the water was chilly on entry, but everything settled down once we got moving.  However, I had friends in transition and swim exit, and they said the sleeveless athletes looked far worse for wear, in general, than did the full wetsuit athletes.

It is always a personal preference (I far prefer my sleeveless for shoulder freedom), but considering the temps and distance, I doubt in 2012 I will change to the sleeveless when my execution with the full was satisfactory.  Plus, the peelers take care of removal, so that is a non-issue either way.

2011-12-02 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE

Either way I'll probably end up wearing a wetsuit. Right now I do not like the lack of freedom of movement I have in my shoulders. I have the right size, take my time putting it on, get plenty of excess etc etc. So it fits right.

I guess I just need more time in it. This summer I did 4 400 yd test. 2 without, and 2 with over the course of 4 days. In each of the test without the suit I was about 30 sec faster and less tired. For some reason no matter how hard I tried I always pulled to the right with the suit as well, so some of it may have been recorrecting course.

I'm not sure if swimming at a slower more relaxed pace over a much longer distance will amplify my concearns, or make it not as bad.

I will get a sleeves and try that out, I'm sure I'd like it much better.

2011-12-02 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Late to the thread but I'm in!  This is my first IM as well.  Had a respectable HIM race this fall that gave me the confidence to go for the IM.  I'm looking into Fink's plan as well.  I figure if I use the advanced program, it will allow me a little latitude if I have to miss or shorten workouts.  I would love to hire a coach but at $200+ a month, I'd have to decide between that and equipment/PT, etc.  And I will definitely need PT to get to the starting line.

Lucky me, my brother lives in Phoenix so I can stay in a house with all of the amenities of home.

2011-12-02 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3920377

Veteran
cstoulil - 2011-11-30 9:26 AM

This will be my first, I plan on getting there a full week in advance. I will be driving from Omaha and staying with my brother in-law in Mesa. Plenty of time to ride the course etc.

The biggets challenge for me will be the unknown of the run I guess. I did a HIM this summer on very little training. The swim and bike were fine, the run, had to pretty much walk it in the last 4 miles due to severe cramps. I do not want to repeat that.

I will actually train for this though, I think I'm going to use the BT beginner plan.

I guess I start with 2 questions.

#1 Is it too cold to do it without a wetsuit. I have a full sleve, but I prefer swimming without it, especially longer distances. For some reason even though I do weekly OWS in the summer I just can't seem to get used to it. This is my second wetsuit, and maybe I just have weak shoulders, but it slows me down, and yes it is the right size and put on correctly pulled up high, plenty of extra material, but not to much in the armpit/shoulder and elbow areas.

I will probably buy a sleeveless and hopefully that solves the problem.

#2. This is more of a in-general type question, but on the BT beginner plan I know that the swim and bike long rides will be long enough, but if I remember correctly from looking at it a few weeks ago, the longest long run was 3 hrs. Is this a long enough tranining run for a slow runner, I have no idea how long I'll be out there, but it will likely be in the 5 hr range.

There is no logical reason to do this swim without a full wetsuit. The water is damn cold and you are significantly faster (and safer) with a full wetsuit on. With all due respect, your shoulders are not too weak to wear a full wetsuit. You either have a very bad wetsuit, it does not fit you right or you dont have it on correctly. Seriously, if you get a nice suit that fits you right, you will have zero shoulder restriction.

As far as your running question goes: I absolutely believe 3 hours is enough and frankly too much in my opinion. If you think the marathon will take you 5 hours, the reality is a lot of that will be walking. Running 3.5 or 4 hours, or whatever wont get you more prepared for a 5 hour IM run. If anything, you will be setting yourself up for injury and/or recovery problems. Work on getting faster on your shorter runs.
2011-12-04 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3922742

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Climbinggonzo - 2011-12-01 7:16 PM

I'm looking at late August for a HIM this summer.  Which will be plenty of time to correct issues and keep training hard for AZ.

What HIM were you thinking of?

2011-12-05 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3925947

User image

For those of you still deciding on which training plan to use, I just want to say that I'm a big fan of the Don Fink intermediate plan...used it in training for IM LOU last year - felt 100% prepared and had a great race. 

-----

www.AwkwardRacePhotos.com

2011-12-05 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

Hi All,

I'm in and WAY too excited this far out.  I'm going out for a week to combine IMAZ with visiting my folks in Mesa, seeing the sights, etc.  We're staying at the Westgate Painted Mountain.  Haven't settled on a training plan.  I'm going to use the BT beginner for a HIM in June, read Don Fink, and play it by ear.  Happy and safe training to you all!!!

2011-12-05 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3912056

User image

Veteran
Denver
Climbinggonzo - 2011-11-22 1:32 PM

I'm in.

OK, first two topics for discussion:

What is everyone using for a training plan?  Are you going through BT (which plan?), another online coaching service, an in-person coaching service or making it up as you go along?

Second, I could go through this past year's thread, or it's going to come up soon enough anyways.  Where is everyone staying?  What's close or within reasonable walking distance of the race start/finish?

I'll be there..........as a volunteer in 2012. then I'll be back in 2013 as a parcticipant.

I've been doing some research on places to stay, that have kitchens.  Even as a volunteer, eating out for all meals for an entire week is NOT appealing to me. I've checked out the VRBO site & a few hotels. There are a few condos/houses available for rent, at a decent price. As far as hotels with kitchens. It looks like the closest option is Hampton Inn. It's roughly 2.5 miles from the transition area. The suites that come with a full kitchen are 1 bedroom & either 1 King or 2 Queen beds. Another hotel option is the Country Inn & Suites. It's only 1.5 miles from transition, but no kithcens.

2011-12-05 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3927289

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

For my final practice race before IMAZ I'm considering the Black Diamond long course triathlon the weekend of 9/22-23.  My other option is the Troika 70.3 in Spokane.  It will be hot in Eastern Washington the first weekend in August.

2011-12-06 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

As far as the plan goes, I will also be on the Fink Competitive plan because it worked well for me at IMFL 2011, my first - I too finished a full 1-1.5 hours ahead of what I expected... gives me enough of a push so that if work commitments mess with the plan, I am still ahead of the game. I am NOT a runner, so my wonderful running coach Bar92 modified the run portion. She had me doing a couple 18- and 20-milers in the plan, which for this plodding elephant, already makes for a LONG day.

Right now, my game plan is: 3M Half-marathon January, LoneStar 70.3 April 1st (because of a personal need to do this one again), possibly the Kansas 70.3 in June, likely the AquaBike at Redman in September, and some smaller stuff in the mix as well.

And heck yeah, I will be in a full sleeve penguin suit!

2011-12-06 8:50 AM

User image

Expert

Off topic, but I have to say to Dino019, I like your profile pic.    Aggie grad here.  

2011-12-06 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3927886

User image

Veteran
Denver
bar92 - 2011-12-06 7:50 AM

Off topic, but I have to say to Dino019, I like your profile pic.    Aggie grad here.  

GIG 'EM !!!!!!!

2011-12-06 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3925947

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Buckshot - 2011-12-04 8:46 PM

Thinking about trying the new Rev3 half in the Dells this year.  Although it might not be a good run-up to AZ since the Dells' course looks to be quite hilly.

2011-12-06 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3928085

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
I did the new rev3 portland half rev last summer, great organization.  They changed the bike course at the last minute from hilly technical course, to a super flat double out and back.  Apparently one of the small citys the bike course was planned to tranist would not issue the race director a permit.  The swim was approx a mile from the bike lot. 
2011-12-06 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Im going to do an early september Half (Diamondman in Delaware) suppose to be falt and windy, so I think its a perfect setup to Arizona
2011-12-06 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm doing a HIM here in Phoenix in April; it shares some of the IMAZ course. I did it last year, but the lake was closed the day before due to possible contamination from rain, so it became a du- 5k run/56 mile bike/ half marathon. Hopefully that won't happen again this year; we desert rats don't seem to have a handle on managing bodies of water! So far, I'm planning to use the BT plan, but I have Don Fink's book, so I'll look at them both. Right now I'm using the BT HIM plan. It looks good, but 3500 yd swims in week 1? Seems excessive, and it's more than I can manage right now It's also more than week one of the full IM plan, so I don't get that.
2011-12-06 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3928537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

tstl - 2011-12-06 2:38 PM I'm doing a HIM here in Phoenix in April; it shares some of the IMAZ course. I did it last year, but the lake was closed the day before due to possible contamination from rain, so it became a du- 5k run/56 mile bike/ half marathon. Hopefully that won't happen again this year; we desert rats don't seem to have a handle on managing bodies of water! So far, I'm planning to use the BT plan, but I have Don Fink's book, so I'll look at them both. Right now I'm using the BT HIM plan. It looks good, but 3500 yd swims in week 1? Seems excessive, and it's more than I can manage right now It's also more than week one of the full IM plan, so I don't get that.

Agreed - MaRquee last year was disappointing, especially as it was to be the first big race of the year.  Red Rock recovered well, and the du turned out to be good anyway, but for us crazies we lived with the "what would my time had been if I traded the 5K run for a 1.2 mi swim?"

Also, it would be nice if Red Rock changed the SOMA bike course to more closely mirror IM AZ (like MaRquee does - up past Gilbert & back twice).  I think they would get more IM AZers as a training day than they get now with the many-turn urban course.

It's all good either way - we have great races here in AZ most of the year (Flagstaff picks up the summer slack for the Phoenix oven temps) - so there is no need to sweat the small stuff (plagiarism at its best!). Laughing

2011-12-06 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Guess I need to join the group, I'm in...Had to borrow my customers computer but I got'er dun.

Dino019 Any TU hater is a friend of mine. I might not Gig'em but I do support the Coog's house! HA

First IM, Got the important stuff- got my family and work on board. So here I go.

2011-12-07 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3928085

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Climbinggonzo - 2011-12-06 10:19 AM
Buckshot - 2011-12-04 8:46 PM

Thinking about trying the new Rev3 half in the Dells this year.  Although it might not be a good run-up to AZ since the Dells' course looks to be quite hilly.

I like the timing of the Rev3, but I agree with you on the course.  I am looking at Chisago in July and the Maple Grove TriStar 111 in August.

2011-12-07 6:58 AM
in reply to: #3927289

Uxbridge
Dino019 - 2011-12-05 6:31 PM
Climbinggonzo - 2011-11-22 1:32 PM

I'm in.

OK, first two topics for discussion:

What is everyone using for a training plan?  Are you going through BT (which plan?), another online coaching service, an in-person coaching service or making it up as you go along?

Second, I could go through this past year's thread, or it's going to come up soon enough anyways.  Where is everyone staying?  What's close or within reasonable walking distance of the race start/finish?

I'll be there..........as a volunteer in 2012. then I'll be back in 2013 as a parcticipant.

I've been doing some research on places to stay, that have kitchens.  Even as a volunteer, eating out for all meals for an entire week is NOT appealing to me. I've checked out the VRBO site & a few hotels. There are a few condos/houses available for rent, at a decent price. As far as hotels with kitchens. It looks like the closest option is Hampton Inn. It's roughly 2.5 miles from the transition area. The suites that come with a full kitchen are 1 bedroom & either 1 King or 2 Queen beds. Another hotel option is the Country Inn & Suites. It's only 1.5 miles from transition, but no kithcens.

Dino,

I did the race in 2010 and rented a condo about 2 miles from the site through vrbo.. This year I volunteered. I waited til 2 weeks out and got a great deal on a condo at Legacy Golf Resort(about6 miles from the site) through priceline.com. $45/night. I also got a car for $11/day. You dont need to be close to the venue as a volunteer. They provide you with parking passes. The suite I was in had a kitchen washer and dryer.. Hope this helps.

2011-12-07 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Hi Everyone!! Congrats on getting into IMAZ 2012...I cannot believe it sold out in 10min. online!

I did IMAZ this November and it was amazing! Instead of doing an actual race report here on BT, I actually wrote mine on my blog. I did about 4-5 posts about it starting with the whole check-in process and everything! It was just sooo exciting from the get go! So, I thought I'd post a link to it in case any of you want to read about my experience. Here is the link: http://trirunveg.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your training! If you have any questions feel free to email me!

Aimee
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 70