BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2011-12-30 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3962708

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies-OPEN
mjh1975 - 2011-12-30 5:21 PM

NAME:  Matt 

STORY:  What's my story....hum....I really don't know.  I grew up playing ice hockey, rugby and golf.  The past few years I coached a High School Hockey team.  I was never a big runner, in fact I hated it, swimming was never a big thing for me or my family, and bike riding was going to the 7-11 and back with my kids.  What changed it all you ask.  Well, I was invited to run in a portion of the Torch Run in 2011.  I never ran prior to the event, in fact, I showed up to the event and wasn't sure how long it was nor how long I could make it.  Turned out that I ended up running 6 miles and had a blast.  Then started riding my bike, further and further; you get the picture.  I became a cardio junky, I guess. Being a bit of a Type A personality and one that gets bored pretty easy with excerise I decided to take up Triathon (turned out to be training due a knee issue) so that I could put my new found love for swimming, biking and running all together. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 12 years with 2 great kids (9 year old girl and 6 year old boy), 3 dogs (Austrlian Cattle Dog, Boston Terrier and a Bagle), 2 hamsters (not my idea by the way) and a fish.

CURRENT TRAINING: I use a Training Peaks plan, but I tend to deviate from the plan if I feel more like one or another on a given day.

2011 RACES:  Brookfield Zoo 5K, and had to blow off the rest of the year due to a knee issue.

2012 RACES: First Midwest Bank Half Mary, Naperville Tri and Batavia Tri, and  possibly Washington DC Tri.  Overall my goal is to complete the Half Mary, and at least 2 Tris this year.

WEIGHTLOSS: Fortunately or Unfortunately I have the opposite issue as I cannot seem to gain weight...I know everyone feels so bad for me, but honestly it stinks.

I'm not sure what else to add, but more of the story will develope as the year progresses......

Welcome Matt!  is the First Midwest Bank half, In Palos?  I think that it is.  That was where I did my first half-marathon in 2009  I really liked it.   It was Southwest Bank then.    Something else you might consider that's not far from there is the Metlife Duathlon!  A pretty good sized well run event. 

2011-12-30 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3962536

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
ChicagoMan65 - 2011-12-30 3:33 PM

WHY I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP:    Because I know there will be lots of laughs and a good atmosphere to keep pusing people along and motivated without going over the top serious.  Where else can one talk Triathlon, Airplane AND Holy Grail in likely the same sentence.  Probably no where else on the whole internet.

Hiya Mark!     

Completely agree with you!!!         

2011-12-30 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3962537

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2011-12-30 3:33 PM

OK, I think I'm all caught up for now. I am so thrilled to have everyone so far. I think we have 7 plus Dave and I, right? So, about halfway there. At this rate we might close tomorrow. Dave, I'm hitting the road in the morning so if we get close to 15 folks, can you txt me? If we get a couple more, that's fine too.

So I have to go live the rest of my life now. I'll pop back in as time permits today and tomorrow, be back more regularly on the first. I'm traveling out to California to visit my crazy family for a week...should be fun once we get there. 

So homework for the current crew as well as any newcomers:

1. Research races and try to start building a season...you don't have to sign up, just fill in a calendar with races you really want to do.

2. Think of all of your questions so you don't forget anything when we brainstorm all of our topics.

3. Set up your training log and start tracking. You can put your race schedule in here too...I like to see my races listed.

4. Friend everyone in the group and leave some inspires. They are like BT scooby snacks.

5. If you plan on doing 4 or more USAT races (in the US I guess Michel) consider buying yourself a USAT membership today or tomorrow. The price goes up after the first of the year. If you don't have a license you have to pay for a 1 day license...not a huge expense, but if you race a lot it can add up. Also if you do 3 or more races you will receive a USAT ranking at the end of the year...I'll share mine with you at some point...it's not particularly meaningful unless you're super fast, but it's still kind of fascinating. Not a reason to get the license, but an interesting benefit if you do get it.

Cheers everyone. 

Have a great trip Q!   I'll text you when we get to 15 or so.       

Everyone does need to understand that our fearless  leader does have a life and needs to train too!   I have seen  groups fall apart because they depended too heavily on the mentor.    Its up to all of us to keep things lively and pose the questions, comments and smart remarks on a regular basis.    Just sayin.

2011-12-30 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3962941

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
oriolepwr - 2011-12-30 8:27 PM

STORY:  What's my story....hum....I really don't know.  I grew up playing ice hockey, rugby and golf.  The past few years I coached a High School Hockey team.  I was never a big runner, in fact I hated it, swimming was never a big thing for me or my family, and bike riding was going to the 7-11 and back with my kids.  What changed it all you ask.  Well, I was invited to run in a portion of the Torch Run in 2011.  I never ran prior to the event, in fact, I showed up to the event and wasn't sure how long it was nor how long I could make it.  Turned out that I ended up running 6 miles and had a blast.  Then started riding my bike, further and further; you get the picture.  I became a cardio junky, I guess. Being a bit of a Type A personality and one that gets bored pretty easy with excerise I decided to take up Triathon (turned out to be training due a knee issue) so that I could put my new found love for swimming, biking and running all together. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 12 years with 2 great kids (9 year old girl and 6 year old boy), 3 dogs (Austrlian Cattle Dog, Boston Terrier and a Bagle), 2 hamsters (not my idea by the way) and a fish.

CURRENT TRAINING: I use a Training Peaks plan, but I tend to deviate from the plan if I feel more like one or another on a given day.

2011 RACES:  Brookfield Zoo 5K, and had to blow off the rest of the year due to a knee issue.

2012 RACES: First Midwest Bank Half Mary, Naperville Tri and Batavia Tri, and  possibly Washington DC Tri.  Overall my goal is to complete the Half Mary, and at least 2 Tris this year.

WEIGHTLOSS: Fortunately or Unfortunately I have the opposite issue as I cannot seem to gain weight...I know everyone feels so bad for me, but honestly it stinks.

I'm not sure what else to add, but more of the story will develope as the year progresses......

Welcome Matt!  is the First Midwest Bank half, In Palos?  I think that it is.  That was where I did my first half-marathon in 2009  I really liked it.   It was Southwest Bank then.    Something else you might consider that's not far from there is the Metlife Duathlon!  A pretty good sized well run event. 

Evening Dave. Yep the First Midwest is in Palos. Where is the MetLife Duathlon, I've not heard about it.
2011-12-30 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3962974

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mjh1975 - 2011-12-30 8:46 PM

Evening Dave. Yep the First Midwest is in Palos. Where is the MetLife Duathlon, I've not heard about it.

It's in Tinley Park Here is a link to it.   http://duathlon.us.to/  Not sure if Metlife is the sponsor any longer  but the event lives on! 

2011-12-30 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3962986

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
oriolepwr - 2011-12-30 8:53 PM
mjh1975 - 2011-12-30 8:46 PM

It's in Tinley Park Here is a link to it.   http://duathlon.us.to/  Not sure if Metlife is the sponsor any longer  but the event lives on! 

Thanks Dave.

2011-12-30 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3962672

User image

Expert
Hammond
DaDooRunRun reat kids...15, 10 and 8...sales rep for a country radio station...I LOVE MY JOB!   

STORY:  I'm a runner at heart.  I've been running 15-ish years on and off...the last 8 years very regularly.  I've lost count of the number of Halfs I've done and I've done 2 Fulls.  I ran a huge Half PR in 2009...1:52:21...and I knew it was likely a lifetime PR...so I wanted to challenge myself with something new.  So, I did 3 sprint tris in 2010.  Disasters.  Each one.  Completely melted down during the swim of all 3 races and had HUGE panic attacks.  I made myself finish each one, but it was awful and I was so exhausted after the swims that I could barely get on the bike.  But...I did finish all 3.  I said to HECK with that!! 

OMG- this could so be my post. And I swam open water growing up and thought nothing of it. Grew up swimming in lakes, rivers, bayous, etc. Even was a life guard at one point. So what the heck was I doing panicking in the swim. I even took four months of lessons and can actually swim very well. But for my two tri's I was the last in my age group out of the water. Warming up the day before the race I swam the entire distance without an ounce of trouble. Race day- go 50 yds and have to get on my back- wth? I did actually improve my times though on the second race. And I wasn't as panicked feeling but still couldn't swim as well as I am able. The life guards were actually cutting up with me cause I'd just turn over and talk to them and then show them how I could swim when I was ready. They picked at me endlessly that I kept stopping. But I did get through it, made some new friends and figure I can only get better from there - lol.

My brother in law picked at me mercilessly about how slow I was. I finally shut him up by telling him that when he showed up at the start line was when he could pick at me about my time to the finish line- haha.

We will conquer this, Jacki- I promise. I'm a hard headed Italian/German so there's no other option. Wish we could do a race together ;-).

Shelly

2011-12-30 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3962967

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2011-12-30 8:41 PM
quincyf - 2011-12-30 3:33 PM

OK, I think I'm all caught up for now. I am so thrilled to have everyone so far. I think we have 7 plus Dave and I, right? So, about halfway there. At this rate we might close tomorrow. Dave, I'm hitting the road in the morning so if we get close to 15 folks, can you txt me? If we get a couple more, that's fine too.

So I have to go live the rest of my life now. I'll pop back in as time permits today and tomorrow, be back more regularly on the first. I'm traveling out to California to visit my crazy family for a week...should be fun once we get there. 

So homework for the current crew as well as any newcomers:

1. Research races and try to start building a season...you don't have to sign up, just fill in a calendar with races you really want to do.

2. Think of all of your questions so you don't forget anything when we brainstorm all of our topics.

3. Set up your training log and start tracking. You can put your race schedule in here too...I like to see my races listed.

4. Friend everyone in the group and leave some inspires. They are like BT scooby snacks.

5. If you plan on doing 4 or more USAT races (in the US I guess Michel) consider buying yourself a USAT membership today or tomorrow. The price goes up after the first of the year. If you don't have a license you have to pay for a 1 day license...not a huge expense, but if you race a lot it can add up. Also if you do 3 or more races you will receive a USAT ranking at the end of the year...I'll share mine with you at some point...it's not particularly meaningful unless you're super fast, but it's still kind of fascinating. Not a reason to get the license, but an interesting benefit if you do get it.

Cheers everyone. 

Everyone does need to understand that our fearless  leader does have a life and needs to train too!   I have seen  groups fall apart because they depended too heavily on the mentor.    Its up to all of us to keep things lively and pose the questions, comments and smart remarks on a regular basis.    Just sayin.

Thanks Dave! And the only reason Dave can't close the group is because I started it so my account has to close it! I'm a control freak but not that control freaky.

And I don't think this crew is going to have a problem keeping things lively. What an awesome start we have had! I won't feel bad at all if this thing hums along nicely without any input at all from me (well maybe a little bad).

If things do get akward, everyone just dig out the pix of your kids/dogs...that is always good for a few pages or so. If that doesn't work, we'll bring out the big guns and post pix of bikes. But I'd like to save the nuclear option for a serious slowdown. Haha.

Love it so far peeps!

Q

2011-12-30 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3962708

User image

Expert
Hammond

Matt,

I'm going to nominate you to be the Training Peaks guru of the group- and anyone else that uses it. Santa preordered me a 910xt for Christmas and I'm thinking Training Peaks looks like a good software program to use with it. I may have tons of questions though when the time comes. Not sure if I'll end up using that one or Garmin Connect or none- lol, but it's nice to know someone who uses it. I've never used any before and lets just say computer software and I don't always get along very well- haha.

Do you like it? Is it user friendly in your opinion?

thanks,

Shelly

2011-12-30 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3962967

User image

Expert
Hammond

That won't be a problem for me cause um did I mention I like to talk. You might actually have tell me be quiet sometime and that's ok- I'm used it. My nickname in school was motormouth, jr- but don't tell anybody- lol.

Shelly

2011-12-30 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Sacramento, CA

Whew!  You guys post fast!  Sooo... here is my belated bio...

NAME: Cheri (cherifortin)...I know my user name is not very creative but at least you wont forget my name!

STORY: I have always been an athletic wannbe (my user name should have be iwilltriianything) and have dabbled in everything from extreme mountain biking, weight lifting, rock climbing, ultimate Frisbee... but alas I never had the conviction, the fitness or athletic prowess or self- confidence to stick with a sport.  In 2008 I found a really great trainer (and a great workout group).  I started working out (HITS and weight lifting combo) 1 day a week, then 2 and after 2 years I was working our 3-4 times a wee!  That group took me from a fat, middle-aged weak thing to a strong self-confident semi-athlete.  I lost 20 lbs and decided to ramp it up a notch with triathlons since a friend was having great success with them.  My progress was hindered when I crashed my bike and had a serious arm break. I shattered my radius and Ulna, sprained my wrist, damaged my rotator cuff, dislocated my shoulder, all of this resulted in a major surgery to insert14 screws and 2 plates to hold the broken bones together and 4 months of casts.  Also got a nice banged up knee that is maybe headed for surgery too.   I am out of my cast FINALLY and now am working on rehab/PT!  I can’t wait to Tri again.  It was fabulous.  I’m addicted.

FAMILY STATUS:  Happily married to DH for 10 years with two goofy, freaky smart bookworm children.  My 10 year old plans to attend Stanford to study Neuroscience.  And.  My son plans to follow in her footsteps and be a professor…at STANFORD!  LOL!

CURRENT TRAINING: Not nearly enough…right now.  I attend rehab/physical therapy 3 times a week for my jacked up arm.  3 times per week I do a run/bike combo (all indoor – treadmill, recumbent bike) I am not cleared to swim yet.  Hoping to start strength training in January.  Then ramping UP UP UP!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Napa Valley Sprint, Silicon Valley Tri - Oly

2012 RACES:. Napa Valley Sprint, Rancho Seco International Tri Oly, Tri, girl, Tri Sprint and maybe a couple more sprints

WEIGHTLOSS: Lost 20 in 2010-2011 and it is creeping back in…my latest pattern is …injury = no workouts = depression = TOO MUCH FOOD I EAT.  I need help with eating.  I just can’t seem to dial that in.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD Mentee: I am an encourager and I will give you all love and mad-mad props!

2011-12-31 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State

NAME:  Sean

FAMILY STATUS:  I'm 45 and married for 18 years, 2 awesome kids and 1 very cool golden retriever.

STORY:  I discovered Tri's about 4 years ago after blowing out my ACL playing soccer. I had never liked running unless it was to grab a beer and never swam or biked other than for fun. Some life changes (job loss) took place 2 years ago and I lost my way and neglected the gym, pool and my bike. I do play soccer 2x per week, but need to drop at least 25 lbs! So now I'm in a place where I can start training again and am looking forward to it.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Gym irregularly, soccer 2x per week.

2012 RACE PLAN: I haven't fully thought this through but 5k/10k in the spring for sure. A couple of sprints in the summer and cap it off with a HIM in Sept.

WEIGHT LOSS:  I have to lose at least 25 lbs.

WHY I'D LIKE TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP:  I would like to learn from some others on their techniques for weight loss, balancing work and training and general support. I will return the favor by stalking your training logs and providing a virtual kick in the a$$ when you are slacking!!

2011-12-31 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3963015

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
fitmomma2010 - 2011-12-30 9:10 PM

Matt,

I'm going to nominate you to be the Training Peaks guru of the group- and anyone else that uses it. Santa preordered me a 910xt for Christmas and I'm thinking Training Peaks looks like a good software program to use with it. I may have tons of questions though when the time comes. Not sure if I'll end up using that one or Garmin Connect or none- lol, but it's nice to know someone who uses it. I've never used any before and lets just say computer software and I don't always get along very well- haha.

Do you like it? Is it user friendly in your opinion?

thanks,

Shelly

Morning Shelly,I like TP and find it to be pretty easy to use. I use the Timex Global Trainer so I hook up the watch and download so that's pretty simple, BUT the TP site gives a ton of info which can be daunting at times. Im in by no means an expert with it but I will try to answer any ?'s you might have.
2011-12-31 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

My logs are private so I just added everyone to my Friends list.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!

2011-12-31 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3963087

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
cherifortin - 2011-12-30 10:01 PM

Whew!  You guys post fast!  Sooo... here is my belated bio...

NAME: Cheri (cherifortin)...I know my user name is not very creative but at least you wont forget my name!

STORY: I have always been an athletic wannbe (my user name should have be iwilltriianything) and have dabbled in everything from extreme mountain biking, weight lifting, rock climbing, ultimate Frisbee... but alas I never had the conviction, the fitness or athletic prowess or self- confidence to stick with a sport.  In 2008 I found a really great trainer (and a great workout group).  I started working out (HITS and weight lifting combo) 1 day a week, then 2 and after 2 years I was working our 3-4 times a wee!  That group took me from a fat, middle-aged weak thing to a strong self-confident semi-athlete.  I lost 20 lbs and decided to ramp it up a notch with triathlons since a friend was having great success with them.  My progress was hindered when I crashed my bike and had a serious arm break. I shattered my radius and Ulna, sprained my wrist, damaged my rotator cuff, dislocated my shoulder, all of this resulted in a major surgery to insert14 screws and 2 plates to hold the broken bones together and 4 months of casts.  Also got a nice banged up knee that is maybe headed for surgery too.   I am out of my cast FINALLY and now am working on rehab/PT!  I can’t wait to Tri again.  It was fabulous.  I’m addicted.

FAMILY STATUS:  Happily married to DH for 10 years with two goofy, freaky smart bookworm children.  My 10 year old plans to attend Stanford to study Neuroscience.  And.  My son plans to follow in her footsteps and be a professor…at STANFORD!  LOL!

CURRENT TRAINING: Not nearly enough…right now.  I attend rehab/physical therapy 3 times a week for my jacked up arm.  3 times per week I do a run/bike combo (all indoor – treadmill, recumbent bike) I am not cleared to swim yet.  Hoping to start strength training in January.  Then ramping UP UP UP!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Napa Valley Sprint, Silicon Valley Tri - Oly

2012 RACES:. Napa Valley Sprint, Rancho Seco International Tri Oly, Tri, girl, Tri Sprint and maybe a couple more sprints

WEIGHTLOSS: Lost 20 in 2010-2011 and it is creeping back in…my latest pattern is …injury = no workouts = depression = TOO MUCH FOOD I EAT.  I need help with eating.  I just can’t seem to dial that in.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD Mentee: I am an encourager and I will give you all love and mad-mad props!

Crashed your bike resulting in serious injuries but excited to get back on the bike! I don't see here that you are hesitant to get back on the bike That's awesome!  Love that!!

2011-12-31 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3963405

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sammeg - 2011-12-31 8:41 AM

My logs are private so I just added everyone to my Friends list.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!

I have my friend list updated to include everyone including our latest member  Sean!

Happy Magical Mystery Tour Year to all of you!

2011-12-31 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3963323

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
sma777 - 2011-12-31 7:33 AM

NAME:  Sean

FAMILY STATUS:  I'm 45 and married for 18 years, 2 awesome kids and 1 very cool golden retriever.

STORY:  I discovered Tri's about 4 years ago after blowing out my ACL playing soccer. I had never liked running unless it was to grab a beer and never swam or biked other than for fun. Some life changes (job loss) took place 2 years ago and I lost my way and neglected the gym, pool and my bike. I do play soccer 2x per week, but need to drop at least 25 lbs! So now I'm in a place where I can start training again and am looking forward to it.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Gym irregularly, soccer 2x per week.

2012 RACE PLAN: I haven't fully thought this through but 5k/10k in the spring for sure. A couple of sprints in the summer and cap it off with a HIM in Sept.

WEIGHT LOSS:  I have to lose at least 25 lbs.

WHY I'D LIKE TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP:  I would like to learn from some others on their techniques for weight loss, balancing work and training and general support. I will return the favor by stalking your training logs and providing a virtual kick in the a$$ when you are slacking!!

Welcome to the Tour Sean!!!   Which HIM are you thinking?

2011-12-31 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3963001

User image

Veteran
fitmomma2010 - 2011-12-30 10:00 PM
DaDooRunRun reat kids...15, 10 and 8...sales rep for a country radio station...I LOVE MY JOB!   

STORY:  I'm a runner at heart.  I've been running 15-ish years on and off...the last 8 years very regularly.  I've lost count of the number of Halfs I've done and I've done 2 Fulls.  I ran a huge Half PR in 2009...1:52:21...and I knew it was likely a lifetime PR...so I wanted to challenge myself with something new.  So, I did 3 sprint tris in 2010.  Disasters.  Each one.  Completely melted down during the swim of all 3 races and had HUGE panic attacks.  I made myself finish each one, but it was awful and I was so exhausted after the swims that I could barely get on the bike.  But...I did finish all 3.  I said to HECK with that!! 

OMG- this could so be my post. And I swam open water growing up and thought nothing of it. Grew up swimming in lakes, rivers, bayous, etc. Even was a life guard at one point. So what the heck was I doing panicking in the swim. I even took four months of lessons and can actually swim very well. But for my two tri's I was the last in my age group out of the water. Warming up the day before the race I swam the entire distance without an ounce of trouble. Race day- go 50 yds and have to get on my back- wth? I did actually improve my times though on the second race. And I wasn't as panicked feeling but still couldn't swim as well as I am able. The life guards were actually cutting up with me cause I'd just turn over and talk to them and then show them how I could swim when I was ready. They picked at me endlessly that I kept stopping. But I did get through it, made some new friends and figure I can only get better from there - lol.

My brother in law picked at me mercilessly about how slow I was. I finally shut him up by telling him that when he showed up at the start line was when he could pick at me about my time to the finish line- haha.

We will conquer this, Jacki- I promise. I'm a hard headed Italian/German so there's no other option. Wish we could do a race together ;-).

Shelly

Good to know I'm not alone in this struggle, Shelly!  At one of my races, the only reason I didn't get out of the water is one of my friends was there yelling at me and telling me she wouldn't let me quit in front of my kids.  Ridiculus!

Until the summer I did the Tris, I'd never really been a swimmer.  Never had swimming lessons.  Swimming to me was...well not drowning when I jumped in the pool to cool off when I was laying out.  So, I taught myself and trained in the pool a fair amount for the events.  But when that whole distance was laid out in front of me, I just freaked out.  Even though I did the training, I never really did get comfortable in the water.  Most times I feel like my chest is going to explode.  Then I chastise myself b/c I could get out of the pool and run a Half Marathon on demand and be fine.  But 10 freaking laps in the pool makes me feel like I'm going to die.  Ugh!  My first step now is to get to our local aquatic center, which is a really good facility, and get some lessons.  For spring break we're going to the Bahamas, so I hope to feel confident enough to try an open water swim there.

I'm stubborn and pigheaded too.  Just ask my husband.  BTW...he's Skinny Arm Brian on BT, Q.  So, I concur...we WILL conquer this!!

Jacki

2011-12-31 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3963500

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State

There is a HIM in Sept. called FirmMan - ocean swim and rolling bike course. The ocean will still be warm (relatively speaking) and the weather less humid so it is usually nice weather. Plus it'll give me enough time to drop some tonnage and build a base Laughing

2011-12-31 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3962536

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State
ChicagoMan65 - 2011-12-30 4:33 PM

Hey there!!! One more?  I dont take up much room....

NAME:  Mark

STORY:   Former competitive smoker and drinker.  On the wagon almost ten years now.  Statred running in 2002, biking in 04 and tris in 07.  Horrible year last year, had blood clot, did Racine HIM on basically one leg, then surgery and recovery.  Have been easing back into things doing a little P90x and rampng back in S/B/R.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids

CURRENT TRAINING:  Doing some P90x, trying to get back consistency in running swimming and, soon, biking

2011 RACES:  Racine 70.3

2012 RACES:   So far Indy Half Mary; Racine or Muncie 70.3, maybe Chicago Tri, maybe Chicago Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS:   Gained weight when couldnt workout before or after surgery.  Need to drop about 15, but the P90x is sorta shifting things around.  Would like to be around 155 to 160 come June

WHY I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP:    Because I know there will be lots of laughs and a good atmosphere to keep pusing people along and motivated without going over the top serious.  Where else can one talk Triathlon, Airplane AND Holy Grail in likely the same sentence.  Probably no where else on the whole internet.

Mark, how are you finding the P90x? I have the DVD set but haven't fired them up yet. Did you start it to lose weight or to just start up again? I'm trying to get a plan of attach attack together to start training so I'm looking for ideas.

Sean

Edited by sma777 2011-12-31 10:47 AM
2011-12-31 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3961933

User image

Veteran

Hi Everyone,

I am starting off with the "Couch to 5K" aggresive plan for the new year.  I have already done the 25+ minute walk so I may try to add some short runs in during the walk, ie 30 seconds or so.  I want to go easy on the pavement, LOL. 

Any suggestions?  I currently have New Balance sneakers, 1 pair running, 1 pair cross training, and 1 pair walking.  I plan to start with either the walking or cross trainer pair.

May the force be with US!

Tom

2011-12-31 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3963620

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2011-12-31 11:08 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am starting off with the "Couch to 5K" aggresive plan for the new year.  I have already done the 25+ minute walk so I may try to add some short runs in during the walk, ie 30 seconds or so.  I want to go easy on the pavement, LOL. 

Any suggestions?  I currently have New Balance sneakers, 1 pair running, 1 pair cross training, and 1 pair walking.  I plan to start with either the walking or cross trainer pair.

May the force be with US!

Tom

Tom

Couch to 5K is sensible. yup run fire hydrant to fire hydrant  or street to street walk in between and then keep ramping up how far the run portion goes.  You will progress quickly! 

I've heard that running puts something like 4x your body weight in force on each foot strike.  This is why many running shoes are made to absorb that shock.    Walking shoes seem to me to be stripped down running shoes with very little in the way of shock absorption.   Simply a marketing gimmick.    Lets see how do we make a shoe with "less"  and cheaper materials and somehow get people to think they are getting a targeted product.    Sorry just saying. 

Cross trainers are shoes for the "built to last" crowd.   Shoes that can take a real beating but do not breathe.     Reality is they are best for people that do not know what activity they may encounter during their day. You can run in them, but they are heavy and hot, and again don't absorb shock a whole lot,   you could play tennis in them and the shoe could deal, but is not best for that.  You could play basketball  with them and not destroy them  but they would not be the best shoe choice there either.   So these type of shoes don't excel at anything in particular,  besides durability,  that's what peeps really like about them.     So ya I'm not a fan of them either.   But they are great for cutting the grass in.  or just being that durable shoe to use when you don't want to get your prized running shoes damaged or dirty or whatever.

True running shoes would be best to walk in AND run in.   

Edited by oriolepwr 2011-12-31 11:36 AM
2011-12-31 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Any room for one more..
NAME:  Yvonne

STORY:   Turning 40, did my first tri this past oct, sprint rambling rose and I'm hooked. Did a half marathon w team in training in 2006, so much fun. But got injured training for the next two events, first stress fracture in rgt tibia, then later one in left foot, then eventually one in right foot. So thought maybe tri would be better. Just got a new road bike, first ever, clip less pedals and all, now just need to figure how to use it!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids, 8 & 9 yo girls, both have done one tri and dh is on board to do one this summer too!

CURRENT TRAINING:  Slacking the last 4 weeks but pretty active, weights and cardio at the gym, running ( couch to 5k to slowly work up tp distance), some swimming and biking.

2011 RACES:  Rambling rose sprint tri oct 2011

2012 RACES:   Planned, azalea tri, girls run the world in march,warrior dash in may, rambling rose may, rambling in oct. really want to do a longer distance in October, maybe white lake international but not sure if that's too ambitious?!?

WEIGHTLOSS:   Have lost 35 lbs in the last 14 months, another 25 to go.
WHY I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP:    I'm getting overwhelmed by all the races, training sites and plans, need a place to focus and get er done!! :)

Edited by Ybeal 2011-12-31 11:49 AM
2011-12-31 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3963658

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Ybeal - 2011-12-31 11:44 AM Any room for one more..
NAME:  Yvonne

STORY:   Turning 40, did my first tri this past oct, sprint rambling rose and I'm hooked. Did a half marathon w team in training in 2006, so much fun. But got injured training for the next two events, first stress fracture in rgt tibia, then later one in left foot, then eventually one in right foot. So thought maybe tri would be better. Just got a new road bike, first ever, clip less pedals and all, now just need to figure how to use it!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids, 8 & 9 yo girls, both have done one tri and dh is on board to do one this summer too!

CURRENT TRAINING:  Slacking the last 4 weeks but pretty active, weights and cardio at the gym, running ( couch to 5k to slowly work up tp distance), some swimming and biking.

2011 RACES:  Rambling rose sprint tri oct 2011

2012 RACES:   Planned, azalea tri, girls run the world in march,warrior dash in may, rambling rose may, rambling in oct. really want to do a longer distance in October, maybe white lake international but not sure if that's too ambitious?!?

WEIGHTLOSS:   Have lost 35 lbs in the last 14 months, another 25 to go.
WHY I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP:    I'm getting overwhelmed by all the races, training sites and plans, need a place to focus and get er done!!

Sure Yvonne!   Come on in!   This tour is just getting started so you are just in time!   I think there are still a few cocktails to go around, and some cheese.  Ok not much of that left.  (yes I admit it, Ive had the most of it)   Plenty of Kirkland Veggie tray to go around (especially the broccoli)   So mingle with the others and make sure to add us all to your  BT friend list.     Its going to be really important to log your training  so we can see how great you are doing.    

2011-12-31 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3963570

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
DaDooRunRun - 2011-12-31 11:31 AM
fitmomma2010 - 2011-12-30 10:00 PM

Shelly

Good to know I'm not alone in this struggle, Shelly!  At one of my races, the only reason I didn't get out of the water is one of my friends was there yelling at me and telling me she wouldn't let me quit in front of my kids.  Ridiculus!

Until the summer I did the Tris, I'd never really been a swimmer.  Never had swimming lessons.  Swimming to me was...well not drowning when I jumped in the pool to cool off when I was laying out.  So, I taught myself and trained in the pool a fair amount for the events.  But when that whole distance was laid out in front of me, I just freaked out.  Even though I did the training, I never really did get comfortable in the water.  Most times I feel like my chest is going to explode.  Then I chastise myself b/c I could get out of the pool and run a Half Marathon on demand and be fine.  But 10 freaking laps in the pool makes me feel like I'm going to die.  Ugh!  My first step now is to get to our local aquatic center, which is a really good facility, and get some lessons.  For spring break we're going to the Bahamas, so I hope to feel confident enough to try an open water swim there.

I'm stubborn and pigheaded too.  Just ask my husband.  BTW...he's Skinny Arm Brian on BT, Q.  So, I concur...we WILL conquer this!!

Jacki

I'm prolly the last person on earth that should be giving swimming advice so take this w/a mountain of salt

Given your good aerobic fitness, if your getting gassed after 10 laps in the pool, perhaps your pushing too hard or not getting enough oxygen. If you're breathing every 3rd stroke, try breathing on 2. When exhaling, try slowly breathing out into the water between breaths. If you slow down does your stamina improve? If so, maybe you're pushing yourself too hard into fatigue, breaking down your form and causing you to expend even more energy.

I think the swim lessons are a great idea and will make a huge difference.

Good Luck

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44