BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-12-29 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3943465

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL UP

OK people, we are full up.

We have a good mix of new triathletes, experienced triathletes, short course, long course big and small, so this should be a fun group.

Please join regularly to post, even if it is just a question or random comment.

2011-12-29 3:44 PM

User image

New user
Sunshine State (where it always rains lol)
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL
Thanks I'm glad to be here I was a flyer and really loved the IM
2011-12-29 3:58 PM

User image

Thanks for taking me, looks like I made it just in time.  

Yes, I am able to bike and swim without pain...unless I ran the day before (which I am laying off for that reason).  I am going to be unable to swim for 2 weeks due to my university's pool being closed and my biking has taken a hit lately due to the weather.  My trainer arrived today so that excuse is gone for good.

2011-12-29 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3960710

User image

Master
Isomorphism - 2011-12-29 3:58 PM

Thanks for taking me, looks like I made it just in time.  

Yes, I am able to bike and swim without pain...unless I ran the day before (which I am laying off for that reason).  I am going to be unable to swim for 2 weeks due to my university's pool being closed and my biking has taken a hit lately due to the weather.  My trainer arrived today so that excuse is gone for good.

Nice! Learn to love the trainer. Focused work on the trainer can really pay off on the road. I used a spin bike for about 1/3 of my training days the last season or two, and I got a lot faster.

2011-12-29 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3959806

User image

Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- OPEN
nvalaitis - 2011-12-29 10:24 AM

Welcome Devildog! What was your MOS in the Corps? I was in the Corps as well. I was 1833 AAV operator, based in Camp Pendleton. LOVE THAT BASE

Ok I know I will get grief for this but I was a 6222 Harrier jet engine mechanic. Yes I was an Air Winger. LOL! I was at MCAS Cherry Point the majority of my time in minus a few deployments.

I am starting to find that drive I had back in the Corps. It's been gone for quite some time but I am very determined to do this so sheer willpower makes me drag my butt out of bed at 4am. I have a good group that I have been training with here lately.

2011-12-29 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3960634

User image

Wetumpka, AL

Lexi

I grew up in Gulf Shores and have done a lot of those same races.  You should also look into the Brett Robinson Costal Tri in early September.  They have a "tri-it-on" (300 yd swim, 10 mile bike and 2 mile run) and a sprint.  I did the tri-it-on last year for my first tri but am stepping it up since I have Augusta 70.3 at the end of Sept.  I also looked at double bridge but I have costume pick up for mardi gras that weekend.  Glad to see someone else from the gulf coast.

2011-12-30 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

Had a good 5am run this morning.  It's amazing how much a 'good' run can better your mood.

With some christmas cash I'm thinking of purchasing the following:

New saddle

Aerobar mounted water bottle

Aero helmet

Any suggestions, pro, cons or general opinions on any of those. Recommendations also be helpful.

2011-12-30 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3961571

User image

Master
jpfeife - 2011-12-30 7:44 AM

Had a good 5am run this morning.  It's amazing how much a 'good' run can better your mood.

New saddle

Aero helmet

Any suggestions, pro, cons or general opinions on any of those. Recommendations also be helpful.

Ahh, the 5 AM run. I missed it today, as I am swamped with work. I am hoping for an afternoon 6-9 miler.

As for the cash...

Instead of paying for the aerobar bottle, test it out by buying some large zip ties and zip tying a regular botte cage up there between the bars. I think Nick did that and it worked well. i will even send you a spare cage and zip ties if you want. 

As for the Aero Helmet...I have been thinking about this too. From everything I have read, this is the biggest bang for your buck in terms of aero benefit. Not as cool looking as wheels, but as or more functional. I am also thinking about getting one. Which one are you looking at? I have been thinking I want one with a built in visor.

As for a new saddle...what is up with yours? Have you tried different positions? Did you sample one and liked it? I know the good ones can cost a bunch, but if it reduces pain in your nether regions it would be worth it. Which one are you looking at?

2011-12-30 7:54 AM

User image

Master

Whee, crazy weekend on tap for me. The family is going camping for two nights on peanut island. It is a little island in the intercoastal up by West Palm Beach.

We are actually going becuase we are volunteering to support a 24 hour running race. It is a fundrasier for prostate cancer. I can't believe people are going to try to run a 1.25 mile bricked circle for 24 hours. 

I am hoping to get in a couple of hours running and maybe some swimming as well.

I may not post again until Monday. 

If I don't, have a GREAT NEW YEARS!!!

And do a little training to make yourself feel good!!!

2011-12-30 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

Eli,

I consider myself somewhere between a beginner and intermediate triathlete. So I'm wanting to get more aero stuff but still don't have the budget for top of the line equipment. 

Water Bottle - I read some article about doing that and even saw Chris McCormack had one on his bike at Kona. I have an extra cage and will have to give that a try. If that doesn't work I'm gonna try the Profile Design aerodrink for $20.

Aero Helmet - I didn't think I would want one or was fast enough for one but after reading the article below I'm intrigued. I can find the Giro Advantage 2 helmet relatively cheap but I heard they don't work with the sunglasses I just bought (Oakley Half Jacket - just bought and can't return - long story). Might look for something that doesn't cover the ears. I need to go test fit them at LBS.

http://gearwestbike.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/who-said-you-are-too-slow-for-an-aero-improvement/

Saddle - I bought my tri bike (uni-sex bike) from a female and found out about month ago I've been riding on a women's seat. Not a big deal for me. It's comfortable for 20-25 miles but longer rides 'stuff' gets numb. I plan on doing my first HIM in August and will be doing quite a few longer rides. I've read good things about the Profile Design Tri-Stryke and if I had a little more money the Cobb V-Flow Plus would be my choice.

2011-12-30 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Central VA

Welcome all, glad to see a good size group forming. Here's a list I complied to add to add to my Friends list on the training log.

eliwashere

pvfd304

bufit

mitchparadise

nvalaitis

jpfeife

nimue

ohwhitney

nevmann_jc

chicaskeeper

bcagle25

isomorphism

swim_turtle28

hope I got all the user names right. (Pm me if you see something wrong)

Also good to see all the Marines connections. Had a family member who was the Commandant of the Corp way back in the day. It's nothing like a Marine to whip us all into shape. Wink

Weather here should be in the upper 50's so I'm hoping to get in some good bike training. Sort of weird to be this warm for the new year but cold weather is coming. Brrrrrr. I hate cold weather!

Edited by pvfd304 2011-12-30 10:05 AM

2011-12-30 10:28 AM

User image

South Florida

Justin,

Nice job getting out there this morning! I'll get some miles in tonight then my usual long run tomorrow morning along the beach. ( tought life i know)

As far as the aero bottle. Try the cage between the bars first(cheap alternative) What kind of aero bars do you currently have?

The aero helmet is a great investment. I borrowed a friends last year for my full iron, and loved it! Try looking on bonktown.com. They usually have some aero helmets on special. The Giro though is the best bang for your buck aero helmet wise. $120 is pretty reasonable.

The saddle is highly important. I went through about 3-4 different saddles last yearl. I finally stuck with the Adamo Road. Have you been properly fit on your current bike? Proper fit will play a big role in saddle comfort. Riding aroud with "numb junk" is not fun. LOL The Cobb V-flow is a great saddle. I tried it for a little bit but decided it was not for me. I settled on the Adamo Road and went on got a proper fit. I know have no problems. See if your LBS has a saddle demo program. I think Trisports.com has a demo program. Remember... Comfort is highly important. If you're not comfortable on the bike, you're not going to be putting out and power.

Hope this helps.

2011-12-30 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3961679

User image

Master
jpfeife - 2011-12-30 8:44 AM

Saddle - I bought my tri bike (uni-sex bike) from a female and found out about month ago I've been riding on a women's seat. Not a big deal for me. It's comfortable for 20-25 miles but longer rides 'stuff' gets numb. I plan on doing my first HIM in August and will be doing quite a few longer rides. I've read good things about the Profile Design Tri-Stryke and if I had a little more money the Cobb V-Flow Plus would be my choice.

For sure the aero helmet is the best bang for the buck, and as it was stated, your improvement is greater the slower you were.

As for sunglasses, there is some research showing certain types work with sunglasses better than others, but I don't have the link here.

And the seat.....Since I don't know you that well, I wont make any rude comments about riding a girls seat, but I am thinking them. I don't know the Tri-Styke, but I have heard good things about the Cobb. Nick has done more seat shopping than I have.

I have been thinking about changing seats as well. I want one with more of a "love canal" and less padding.

As far as numbness....there will always be some. My biggest issue is always where the seams rub. I can usually fix numbness by moving forward or backward a little.

2011-12-30 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Ok, so I just got back from my trip to Maine.  20 hours of traveling to get back yesterday with my 23 month old daughter.  Let me tell you that was like my Ironman in itself!  Not going to push it today as I'm exhausted, but may get a swim in this afternoon and will be on my indoor trainer tonight to blow the legs out.  Hopefully I'll feel up to my long run tomorrow.

Lexi, I trained for my Ironman last year and didn't buy a bike until 4 months before the race,  Most of my cycle training up to that point was spin classes and such.  After I got my bike I still was doing 2 spins a week and 2 rides outside.  The bike leg wasn't pretty, but I made it!

Dave, I just got an indoor trainer about 2 months a go and It's helping my cycling tremendously.  My areo position has never been better.

Brian, thanks for compiling that list!

Everyone get out there this weekend, have fun, train hard and be safe!

2011-12-30 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3961968

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
nvalaitis - 2011-12-30 10:28 AM

Justin,

Nice job getting out there this morning! I'll get some miles in tonight then my usual long run tomorrow morning along the beach. ( tought life i know)

As far as the aero bottle. Try the cage between the bars first(cheap alternative) What kind of aero bars do you currently have?

The aero helmet is a great investment. I borrowed a friends last year for my full iron, and loved it! Try looking on bonktown.com. They usually have some aero helmets on special. The Giro though is the best bang for your buck aero helmet wise. $120 is pretty reasonable.

The saddle is highly important. I went through about 3-4 different saddles last yearl. I finally stuck with the Adamo Road. Have you been properly fit on your current bike? Proper fit will play a big role in saddle comfort. Riding aroud with "numb junk" is not fun. LOL The Cobb V-flow is a great saddle. I tried it for a little bit but decided it was not for me. I settled on the Adamo Road and went on got a proper fit. I know have no problems. See if your LBS has a saddle demo program. I think Trisports.com has a demo program. Remember... Comfort is highly important. If you're not comfortable on the bike, you're not going to be putting out and power.

Hope this helps.

I have Forte aero bars which is what came with the bike. There is about 1 1/2 inches between the base of the bars. I'll give this a try tonight.

2011-12-30 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Oh yeah, also I signed up for the Xterra 21k train run for next weekend on a whim.  If you ever get a chance to run one of these races I highly recommend.  

The race next Sat is a half marathon with about 4000 feet of total climbing.  I mean we literally run up mountains.  It is so much fun jumping over logs, ducking under branches, but what goes up, must come down.  These are not about speed, but more like survival.  My Half marathon pr is 1:49, but If I break 2:10 on this run I will be amazed!

Check out the link:

http://www.trailrace.com/boney.html 

2011-12-30 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3961976

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
eliwashere - 2011-12-30 10:32 AM
jpfeife - 2011-12-30 8:44 AM

For sure the aero helmet is the best bang for the buck, and as it was stated, your improvement is greater the slower you were.

As for sunglasses, there is some research showing certain types work with sunglasses better than others, but I don't have the link here.

And the seat.....Since I don't know you that well, I wont make any rude comments about riding a girls seat, but I am thinking them. I don't know the Tri-Styke, but I have heard good things about the Cobb. Nick has done more seat shopping than I have.

I have been thinking about changing seats as well. I want one with more of a "love canal" and less padding.

As far as numbness....there will always be some. My biggest issue is always where the seams rub. I can usually fix numbness by moving forward or backward a little.

Here is a site that talks a little bit about sunglasses and aero helmets:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/aero_helmet.shtml

And don't worry about rude comments. I can't believe it took almost a year for it to sink in that my seat had the word 'Deva' on it. (face palm) If you are looking for a seat with a 'love channel' you can have my girly seat. That's almost the same terminology used on my seats website:

http://www.wtb.com/technology/saddles/

2011-12-30 6:52 PM

User image

Evansville, IN

I am still learning how to navigate this site. Can anyone tell me how to add you all as friends? I also need to figure out how to make full use of this site but I guess that will come with time.

Training wise I've had a pretty good week. I don't have a bike yet so I have been going to a spin class for the last few weeks. I never knew that was as tough as it is or that my it would hurt my butt as bad as it did. I spent several hours spinning and hit the road quite a few times as well. I can't run far yet but I am working on it. Next week we really ramp it up. I am starting a swim class so I can learn how to lap swim. I was always more of a swim for survival kind of guy not for fun. We also have a tri training class beginning Wed. morning. I'm sure I will post how it all goes and with questions.

Speaking of questions I do have one. What is a good bike to buy as a starter? I went to the LBS and I don't have thousands to drop on one. I did find out I need a 58cm frame so that narrowed my craigslist searches down but I don't really know one from another as far as what to look for. Any advise is welcome. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

2011-12-30 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3961044

User image

New user
Sunshine State (where it always rains lol)
Yay glad to meet another local ill definitely check out that tri it on race sounds like fun thanks for the suggestion :D
2011-12-30 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3962810

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
neumann_jc - 2011-12-30 4:52 PM

I am still learning how to navigate this site. Can anyone tell me how to add you all as friends? I also need to figure out how to make full use of this site but I guess that will come with time.

Training wise I've had a pretty good week. I don't have a bike yet so I have been going to a spin class for the last few weeks. I never knew that was as tough as it is or that my it would hurt my butt as bad as it did. I spent several hours spinning and hit the road quite a few times as well. I can't run far yet but I am working on it. Next week we really ramp it up. I am starting a swim class so I can learn how to lap swim. I was always more of a swim for survival kind of guy not for fun. We also have a tri training class beginning Wed. morning. I'm sure I will post how it all goes and with questions.

Speaking of questions I do have one. What is a good bike to buy as a starter? I went to the LBS and I don't have thousands to drop on one. I did find out I need a 58cm frame so that narrowed my craigslist searches down but I don't really know one from another as far as what to look for. Any advise is welcome. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

I add friends by going to my training log, clicking on the "Friends +" icon at the top of that section.  Add the username and click the "update friends" at the bottom.  There's another way through settings as well.

2011-12-30 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
neumann_jc - 2011-12-30 6:52 PM

Might be easier to set a budget and go from there. The bike is by far the most expensive thing getting started in triathlon. Say, for example, you have $1000 to put towards a bike. Try to find a bike for $800 and the rest for accessories such as helmet, seat bag, spare tube, flashing bike light, shoes, pedals, cycling shorts, etc. 

Trek, Giant, Cannondale and many others all have reasonably priced entry level bikes. The classifieds forum on this site is a good source too.

Welcome to triathlon

2011-12-31 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
neumann_jc - 2011-12-30 7:52 PM

Good article to read: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2382

Craigslist is a good place to look. I recently picked up a used cyclocross bike to use as my rails to trail bike.

Took it out for on the road for a 36 mile ride yesterday and it worked great (changed tires BTW). I  thought the low gearing would limit me but I often ride in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains and the low end helps me. Compared to a standard crank, it's a bit slower on the fast downhill sections but overall it's working for me. My next road bike will have a compact crank. 

2011-12-31 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Ok guys here I am!

NAME: Ben/bcagle25
STORY: I always feel like I am in AA when I answer this question! Been involved in the sport now for 3 full seasons. Got into triathlon after I started biking to stay in shape upon finishing college. Biking lead to an obsession and since I swam when I was young and my mother just did a triathlon of her own at the time, I thought I might as well give it a go. One year later and I finished my first triathlon (HIM) and signed up for my first IM (IMWI) the next day. So to say that I dove head first into this sport, would be an accurate statement. Since I started this sport I have found a whole new appreciation for so much, like my fitness! I am competitive in nature but participate in this sport for the pure happiness and enjoyment I get out of it.
FAMILY STATUS: Living with G/F 
CURRENT TRAINING: Just signed up for my first coach so I think a lot of my training will change over the next year.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Went a bit shorter in races this year, 1 Olympic, 2 HIM, raced in the first TriStar 111 in the U.S.!
2012 RACES:  Ironman Wisconsin for right now, still planning out the rest of the season
WEIGHTLOSS: No weightloss goals for me, but I would like to increase my strength this year 
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:I have now been involved in triathlon for three years and on this site for equally as long. I have done a couple of mentor groups before and understand what makes them successful and what doesn't. I am usually on the site every AM/PM so I can put my .02 cents in twice a day. Discussion from everyone is key and I think we all need to be aware of that, so let's not be quiet!

2011-12-31 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3959609

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
eliwashere - 2011-12-29 9:30 AM
bcagle25 - 2011-12-29 8:40 AM

I'll join too! Ill post my resume thing a majiggy once I know that I am officially in.

Ben,

Consider yourself IN!

I checked out your logs....Wheeeee! I like your race list. I want to do the Triple T as well, and entered the Kona lottery for the second time.

Lots of motivation on your log, and it looks like you have been run focused recently. What are your plans?

Yep running is my focus for 2012. Right now using BarryP's plan to get the whole frequency and volume thing down. Hoping to be up to 35 miles 6 runs a week by Feb when I start with my coach. In the grand scheme of things and if I am at the point I want to be in July and August with my run, I will be aiming for a sub 4-hour marathon at IMWI.

2011-12-31 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
jpfeife - 2011-12-30 7:44 AM

New saddle

Aero helmet

Well since everyone else is giving advice I will add my own.

Aerobottle: I bought the equipment a couple yrs ago to mount one of nytro.com, 80 bucks later I had a broken aero cage halfway through my IM. Last year I tried the zip ties and the .05 cents it cost is still working well. Funny how that one worked out...kinda.

Aero helmet: Again Giro advantage is the best bang for buck. I have heard that Rudy's new helmet is great, performance and cooling wise. I used my giro at Racine 70.3 last year and was virtually overheated 20 miles into the bike. It's biggest con is venting so if you heat up fast I wouldn't choose this route.

Saddle: ISM Adamo, that is all.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16